Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Azazeal's archive

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

PRISONER 849

"I've been fighting all my life. But now I think I've finally found something worth fighting for."

Featured in: Expendable: Gamma Moon

This is a bit of an odd one, being the first character I've posted here before they had actually been in a RP. However, it was RPA Rumble time again - and although once again I didn't have anything like the spare time to take part, I thought I would put together a profile anyway. For next year. Just in case.

I have been somewhat lazy here, as going one step further from the Unreal-inspired Shrk'Jaar, this one is literally the player character from that game (maybe the two will meet one day...). I named her Gina after the default character skin, although she is of course not to be confused with my other Gina. Gina 849 is one of the more stereotypical characters I've written, and although this is partially the constraints of the game she's from, I can only hope that she doesn't come off as just a discount Kally Sonder (an already highly effective deployment of the resourceful, haunted ex-ganger archetype by my writing-buddy Dakkagor). Still, we can only know if and when she is brought to life by some actual RP writing.

Since I may one year submit this character for the annual RPA Rumble, any comments that people can give (particularly regarding her "character abilities") will be gratefully received.

Thanks to Enigma (who previously helmed Scorpio, the series where I debuted the devilishly British agent Doverton-Hawke), I was actually able to utilise this concept as a normal RP character too. By fusing Suicide Squad with Alien, Enigma created a story about a bunch of convicts sent to investigate some alien ruins with trouble written all over them, and I found an excuse to wheel this character out sooner than intended. I have toned down the Unreal references considerably (although she retains the 849 number, and the name of one of the other default character skins), but the core of the character remains the same - if anything, it should help to crystallise her for any speculative upcoming Rumbles!

I also need to thank Karma for her feedback on the Rumble version of this character, and I have edited her accordingly.

Trivia: As far as influences go (both in character creation and how I plan to write her), she's one part Arya Stark, one part Ciro from the Gomorrah TV series, and one part my personal research into the sad realities of gang culture.

Spoiler: Rumble profile 

Spoiler: Profile for Expendable 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 08-01-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

SNEAK PREVIEW

For my reference and your amusement, here are the main NPC characters who will be appearing in my future RP Reckoning. It’s probably not too much of an exaggeration to call this the Infinity War of my group’s 40K saga, as almost every character we’ve written throughout the series will be appearing somewhere.

This will (probably) be the concluding chapter of the series, and will feature plot threads for ground forces, space fleets, and the cloak-and-dagger operatives working away in the background. It is entirely possible that I will need to run it as several threads in the Persistent World forum.

Reckoning recruitment will launch after PaintSerf and I have had a chance to finish some additional scenes for past RPs.

Spoiler: The Imperial Guard 

Spoiler: The Imperial Navy 

Spoiler: Imperial Irregular Forces 

Spoiler: The Adrantean Patriots 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 07-31-2018 at 03:00 PM.

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

MATTY BEDINGER

"Hey...um, ambulance, I need an ambulance!"

Featured in: Grip Grop Drae

This character is a departure for me in a couple of ways. For one thing, I'm very rarely enthused by RPs where the main characters are a bunch of teenagers. Etmoc's Grip Grop Drae, however, promised to be every bit as bizarre and creepy as the title suggests - which was a bonus when I'd challenged myself to RP something completely different, and the first few character ideas that were pitched by the other players sold it. Secondly, this was the first character where I let chance decide their core personality, courtesy of Minkasha and her home-made NPC generator (which I have attached for reader interest at the bottom of this post). Struggling a little for character concepts beyond somebody quiet who likes taking photos, I used the first section of Mink's generator and duly rolled up "perceptive eye, self-aware of thoughts / feelings, finds it easy to lie". Surprisingly enough, the first person to pop into my mind was my youngest sister (not the same sister who inspired Kelly) who not only likes taking photos (and artsy things in general), but is indeed very perceptive and one of the most emotionally intelligent people I know. It became fairly easy to conceptualise the character after making that breakthrough. In the end, I decided to flip the character from female to male to explore something a little off-archetype.

As an ordinary kid thrown into an extraordinary situation, he shares some common ground with my resident ghost hunter (and part time quantum leaper) Gina. In fact, since the GGD story explicitly features people jumping between universes, I'm far from ruling out some sort of meeting between the two. But whereas Gina has had time to adjust to her calling (sort of...) and has the advantage of a natural well of determination, Matty is much more the type to flee or freeze when confronting an unknown danger for the first time. Since so few of us are born heroes, I hope that wanting to see him grow from this shaky start will be the reader's investment in the character.

Or maybe I'll take another leaf out of Minkasha's Guide to Merciless RPing, and simply have him implode. I haven't decided.

Trivia: Finding "ordinary"-looking character photos on an internet full of models was surprisingly difficult, though eventually I settled for the one you see above. It's actually off an Aspergers awareness website, though I didn't consciously design Matt as being on the spectrum (he does have one fairly stereotypical aspie trait, which is having a lot of deep thoughts and empathy that he has trouble articulating, though I see that as more a product of his shyness and immaturity).

Spoiler: Matty's full profile 

Spoiler: Minkasha's patented NPC generator 

Month the of Member November
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Hey dude, I just wanna say I really love your archive thing you have going here. It's actually the thing that inspired me to start my own.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Thanks, Crazywolf! I'll take a look at yours when it appears.

Month the of Member November
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Actually I posted it up already, I just haven't added to it for a while except for this afternoon when I did a few edits. I think right now it's been pushed down onto the 2nd page.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

THE REIA-HAL

Today I'm going to focus on some of the characters I've written whose stories unfortunately never got off the ground, although I'm more than willing to pick them up again if the right RP presents itself. Given their sparser history it makes sense to group a few of them together, and today's theme is going to be: Eldar.

Featured In: The Mar Sara Incident, The Phantom of the Fire, The Lesser Evil, Blocking Out The Sun, Treasures In The Void.

Yes, we're back once again in the realm of 40K. Eldar were my first and lasting favourite race from the universe - largely because, until my understanding of the human Imperium evolved somewhat, they seemed like the only guys who did some occasional unambiguous good. Indeed, the characters from my homebrew craftworld of Reia-Hal were the first guys I actually attempted writing short stories about, and a lot of those characters are still kicking about in some form or another, such as the rangers Fenix and Laara who appeared in Higurashi's Blocking Out The Sun, or the warlock Kiotyr who made a sneaky cameo in the epilogue of The Lesser Evil. Hell, one of my farseers even MST'd the spoof story Primarchs, and at one point managed to immigrate into the official plot.

I've set aside my Eldar for quite a while - partially because few RP opportunities have presented themselves, and partially because most of them are soldiers based on tabletop models, and therefore don't actually have that much depth. However, I was presented with one decent opportunity for character study in Atrum Daemon's Treasures In The Void, an offbeat romp about a gang of misfits on an intergalactic treasure hunt (and of course getting caught up in the plans of much more dangerous players than themselves!). And that's where Rhienn and Teriel came in.

I initially chose to write a character around the Eldar "warrior mask", since the concept of splitting your personality to create a merciless killer without giving yourself PTSD seemed like such a goldmine for character study. I also set myself a couple of challenges based on things I felt I hadn't done well in the past. My Eldar was shaping up to be quite a sensitive, emotionally vulnerable character, and I think that too often in the past I have defaulted such characters to being female. Hence Rhienn ended up as male despite belonging to a warrior aspect that draws its inspiration from a female spirit (specifically, the banshee). If anything though this was an advantage, because making his cold, fearless warrior mask female (and switching Rhienn's pronouns mid-post) helped to underscore the divide with his "baseline" personality. My planned character arc for Rhienn would have had him literally at war with himself, with his normal personality becoming increasingly friendly with his human allies, but the very warrior mask he used to protect them (and himself) viewing them as targets whom he would kill in a heartbeat if ordered to.

My second self-imposed challenge was to write a main character who was genuinely bad. Hence, I also volunteered to take over the main force of Eldar whom Atrum planned to oppose (or at least threateningly obstruct) the PCs at several points. For this I created Teriel, who is much closer to what you might call stereotypically Eldar - that is to say, arrogant, self-righteous and rather racist. While I was hardly looking to make her likeable with her self-justifying inner monologues and snobbish refusal to listen to opposing viewpoints, I did hope that a clear motive and a certain humanising insecurity would come across along with it: she fears failing in her responsibilities - and not just for her own reputation but for the lives of her fellow Eldar. This wasn't actually all that hard to write, since I somewhat agreed with her stance that an ancient weapon was probably safer in Reia-Hal's hands than with some gallivanting humans or the sinister robot Necrons (although I did find it refreshing that Atrum was penning a story where for once the Eldar don't always know best). No doubt Teriel would have had a luckless story arc remaining perpetually one step behind the PCs, although who knows what might have happened if at the end she had ordered Rhienn's war mask to kill the humans and secure the artefact...

Sadly, none of this came to pass, as Treasures went dead just a few pages in. Hopefully something else will crop up in future that will allow me to bring these characters back into the writing spotlight.

For completeness I have also attached the profile for Blotting Out The Sun, in which Reia-Hal craftworld stepped up for a more traditional "military campaign" RP. I will freely admit that I focused more on strategic plans (including a trick on the other players that had the potential to be somewhat amusing) than on character, and as such the protagonists I worked with were little more than archetypes. I don't have much of an excuse for this, since three of them (Fenix, Laara and Surei) have a relatively detailed backstory from Mar Sara and Phantom. I did hope to flesh some of them out on the fly, but again it was not to be as the RP collapsed pretty soon after starting. Maybe next time.

Trivia: Reia-Hal craftworld is actually now semi-canon, having featured in the write up of the Medusa V worldwide event. Booyah!

Spoiler: Rhienn's profile 

Spoiler: Teriel's profile 

Spoiler: The Ventiliar Strike Force 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 09-02-2021 at 01:08 PM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

DR SAYORI WARRICK

"Aren't you embarrassed by how limited we are? No way do I want to die a baseline human."

Featured In: Galactic Empires II

So it was a toss-up whether I did this one next or Doc from Sojourn, and Sayori is who I happen to have inspiration to write about right now.

With my writing on RPA going through an extended slow patch, thanks to most of my regular buddies feeling the crunch at uni or work (or in one case, expecting a baby!), Dakkagor has been one of the more consistently active writers. I have previously used two iterations of my character Vespa for his Wreckage series, and narrowly missed out on joining his and J'Von's first Galactic Empires project due to not having any cool Skaarj character ideas to go with my cool Skaarj starship designs. The Skaarj eventually went on to become the Sectine in LBM's story Civilisation, but I ended up sitting out Galactic Empires. However, I continued to follow the posts in that first anarchic space opera with interest, and by the time it finished I had decided that I didn't want to miss out on the sequel. However, I quickly ran into a couple of roadblocks.

First off, the sequel was to be more character-driven, focusing on the crew of a single ship rather than the sprawling fleet actions of the original. This was a bad thing, since I still didn't have any interesting character concepts in mind for the Skaarj that hadn't already been played out in Civilisation. I was also wary of trying to shoehorn a whole new race into the universe and give them character without pulling the story off on tangents - particularly when the series already had a bunch of big, scary lizard-men in the form of J'Von's dragonoids. Dakkagor mentioned a couple of times that he'd like to see Vespa back, but as well as timeline issues (Vespa's Harmony hive-mind would have to have popped up in the ten years between GE1 and GE2), I couldn't get around the fact that Vespa would be spending most of the story in another galaxy, presumably out of range and contact with her collective. What would be the point of creating a hive-mind character, only for them to spend most of the story severed from it? I couldn't figure out a way to make it interesting, at least not without some previous establishment of the Harmony in the story that would give the severance context and emotional weight.

Rather than rewrite Vespa for a third time with her hive-mind connection scrapped, I decided to go back to the drawing board and create a new character - albeit one that kept Vespa’s robot-piloting gimmick and her general sense of wonder, which seemed appropriate for someone volunteering to explore a whole new galaxy. I used a few methods for designing Sayori - my usual Myers-Briggs check for her core personality, a couple of random quirks and habits from people I know, and (something I’ve not tried before) a character questionnaire. It was a bit tougher than simply retooling Vespa, but she’s a bit more solid in my head now as a result - I’ll have to see if this translates into any decent writing!

Trivia: She is named for cybernetics professor Kevin Warwick, who I was lucky enough to see at a guest lecture at SSS. As far as I know, she is not related to Sayori Ishizuka, or to Sayori from Doki Doki Literature Club.

Spoiler: Sayori's full profile 

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The full NPC list for Reckoning has been revealed!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Good. This is good.

However, I cannot help but wonder where the Night Lords and their vassals are.

*cough* HINT! *cough* HINT! *cough* *cough*

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast