Thread: The RPA Tribune - August 20th edition.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Default The RPA Tribune - August 20th edition.

Breaking News!!!

The month of August is an exciting one here on RPA, with the opening of our biggest event of the year -
    The Annual RPA Awards!

Nominations are flying up left, right and centre for both the member and the roleplay awards, so if you haven't got yours in yet, what are you waiting for? Nominations close August 26th, so don't miss your chance!

Speaking of time drawing on, we're approaching the end of August - don't forget to congratulate our Member of the Month, Azazeal849!

Happy reading, roleplayers!

-G

The Storyteller

The glass doors open in front of you, letting the smell of bitter coffee beans and sweet caramel flavored drinks waft towards you. It's a bit disorienting as previously the only scent you were inhaling was that of the city smoke and smog and freshly fallen snow. The pleasant odor, however sudden it invades your nostrils, does not deter you from moving forward into the warm and inviting interior of the café. As you shake your legs in an attempt to warm them up you inspect your surroundings.

The café is quaint and homey, with beautifully upholstered booths lining the walls and intricately carved tables and chairs filling up the rest of the space. Several of the tables are taken, but the people seated are either talking quietly amongst themselves or staying peacefully quiet. Averting your gaze from the people so as to not seem rude, you gaze at the decorations covering the walls. There are several paintings that catch your eye, as well as some posters and knick-knacks that line the ceiling, though you don't pay an hefty amount of attention to them. You are, after all, still standing in the doorway.

You've never been here before, but it feels like you've finally come home after a long trip away. Realizing that you're standing awkwardly right inside the stoop of the café, you smile and awkwardly move over to the counter where a barista stands, facing the direction opposite yourself and making some sort of concoction. Normally you would be trying to get their attention but you are unsure what exactly it is that you want so you take a step back and trail your eyes across the blackboard hanging above the appliances that the barista is tinkering with.

Your eyes widen at the sheer volume of drinks and foods that are served here, and wonder how it could possibly be that this place isn't famous. Talk about a hole in the wall. Though you're not sure if the items served here are any good, from the smell that hit you earlier you safely assume that whatever it is they serve, it isn't bad. It seems that minutes pass as your eyes dart from one item to the other, trying to decide which you'll buy this time and which you'll buy the next time you come; because surely you will be visiting at least once more. Perhaps you'll even bring a friend or coworker.

Although you were previously lost in your inner musings, it seems the barista is done making the drink and has now realized you are here. They apologize profusely for making you wait so long and ask what you would like to order and if you would like it in a to-go cup or not. You smile and tell them they needn't worry as you were thinking on what to get anyways. Although, now that they offer, you suppose you should place your order now. Your decision will certainly change if you continue to mull it over and there's always future visits to try the various offered goods.

With another smile, you order your food and tell them you'll be staying. You should perhaps leave, as you need to get back to the engagements you're currently neglecting, but you can't help but want to stay and enjoy the atmosphere. The barista rings it up on the register and you pay them the required amount of money before turning to sit at a nearby table. You're unsure if you want to stay there the whole time, or if you'll switch seats once you have your drink and food.

Before you can really begin to move and make a decision the barista holds you up.

“I haven't seen you around before,” they say, somewhat incredulously. “We don't see newcomers very often, but I hope that you enjoy your stay and maybe even become a repeat customer.”

You nod politely, hoping for the same, and turn to go once more but are stopped yet again by the barista's words.

“Oh, and I can't believe I forgot. Welcome to Le jeu de rôle Café.”

Welcome to the not-so-well-known 'Roleplay Café'; a café where, although the name may belie differently, there is little to no actual role-playing occurring. This is the setting for this series installment of 'Storyteller.' As the author of this little snippet into the goings on of the café, my hope is that you all – as in the readers – will send in your own submissions detailing your experiences with the café. Is it your first time entering the café, are you a long time patron just examining the people and room around you? Maybe you're even one of the employees working there? Whatever it is, I hope you guys can help bring and keep the story alive, and many, many thanks for reading!

by K.u.r.e.y.u.k.u

Want to contribute to the storyteller? Check out our rules for submissions here!
    Last edited by G; 08-20-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Spoiler: Great New RP's looking for players! 
    Click here daily to vote for RPA!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Roll up for the roleplays!

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: The Revolution! Become a Pokémon and save the world from a mysterious evil using the swords of legend!

A murder mystery, drama, and romance RP with loads of suspense! One player will be chosen randomly to become the murderer, one player will also be chosen randomly to be the Truth Seeker. The rest are innocents. Will the Murderer kill everyone or will the detective kill the murderer? Discover the truth in Murder, Truth and Innocence.

Roleplay Spotlight
    How on Earth has this roleplay not been mentioned yet? Really? It's still surprising, considering this roleplay has officially been around for just over a year. Yes, you heard me; it's been a year. West Hills Haunted High in the Mature section, has been around for a year as of August 6th. Two lovely members created it. Leon/Leonie G and her Co-GM, TheTeeJai, have done a lovely job of keeping this roleplay alive, even with their bouts of inactivity.

Let's point something out. In 2012, Leonie G brought home the 'Weirdest Character' RP Award for her character, Gelda Westminster, also Head Mistress of West Hills Haunted High. That says a lot about a roleplay, huh?

In a roleplay with at least nineteen different people, things can obviously get a little crowded and confusing, however people have kept this sucker going for ages. What is West Hills and what makes it special from all the other schools/school-based roleplays on RPA?

West Hills High is haunted. Yes, haunted. If there is one thing that I've learned about Leon G over the year, she's not a person that you can easily predict. Whether it be teachers, students - or ghosts, you can only imagine the gruesome deaths, the twists and turns and the spontaneous ghosts popping out of no where.

Don't believe me?

Check out some of the posts yourself, then.

Posts from the IC;

Quote Originally Posted by PinkBandit - Rozaria
    At some points, Rozaria swore that maybe if they met in a different way, a different time and setting, she and Gina could be best friends. Opposites attract after all. They had completely different personalities and morals and almost never seemed to agree on anything, but at the same time, their frequent, quick conflicts were things that Rozaria actually looked forward to. In her opinion, Gina was like a 30 sided die. Everytime Rozaria tossed it around, she waited with expectant eyes to see what face it would land on.

As Gina stormed out of the room, Rozaria smiled. She thinks she can hurt me even more. An eerie giggle filled the room as dark thoughts spun in the vampire’s mind. If she was going to die within the next months, Rozaria decided that she was going to make the best of it. And maybe I’ll let Gina have the honors of killing me. That’ll surely make her mad.

Pushing her thoughts aside, Rozaria’s attention turned towards the lifeless figure lying on the bed. Her teal eyes flashed red as they traced every major vein and artery on the body. She knew that what she was about to do was the one thing Gina didn’t want her to do. So why not? She never did what others wanted her to anyway. Rozaria’s sharp nails started to gently poke at the cold, soft flesh. After a few nudges, small amounts of blood dribbled slowly down Shayne’s forearm from a miniscule incision that gradually grew worse, and more blood began to spill. It wasn’t long until Rozaria grew bored of the snail-speed and began to speedily mutilate Shayne’s arm, slashing continuously as scarlet liquid flowed down from her nails to her elbows. The metallic scent of the cold blood quickly filled the room and pranced down the halls.
    And what else would make a school perfect, than to have a teacher who makes potions out of real humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon G - Science Teacher
    ❝I have made 10 vials, each 100 mL each. Unfortunately it is all I can conduct with what limited access to the basement and samples of human enzymes and hormones direct from the brain. And when I do, the bodies are typically 3-10 days old. Does the woman not know post mortem effect on the bodies,?! Especially the prized organ: the Brain. Old ingredients also make for the potions to be bit- wonky. This year students are not as willing to wander to try my latest vials, and it takes a good amount of convincing and special products for Daphne to slip some potions into the food. (Note: Food may hinder results of potion. Despite slipping in various potions in the stew, several students have not been effected in any way.)

The first potion I have conducted is a cliché formula that the lonely mad scientist has been trying to form for years. A love potion! It has a pleasant smell, of cherries and flowers. The pancreas was vital in making this, but I’m afraid I have produced more of a strong lust potion, rather than a romance potion. After all, how can one truly make love? Oh well, I shall know when someone drinks it! I only hope it does not fall into the hands of immature young boys or - God help me - that horny bastard Vlad."
    Interested in more? Well, how about you go diving into thirty-four pages of IC posts.

I'm outta here!

Before I go, a special congratulations on everyone in West Hills Haunted High, especially Leon G, for making such a very long lasting roleplay. Keep on goin' guys. I want to see it in the Mature Hall of Fame before this year ends! No pressure, though.

by Tune

Artist Spotlight

For this week we'll go with the talents we are likely to find in the "RP of the week" Banner shop.

Most of them don't have their own thread/shop, but they are very helpful and talented artists and banner makers and because of that I've decided to dedicate this episode of "The Artist Spotlight" to them.

May it increase more help in the Creative Corner and enable us to see more talents and artists popping up like mushroom after heavy rain.

...Or... something like that...

ANYWAY!!!

Let us start with presenting the noble names that starred in the thread for the last month, and they are:Gold, Insanity, Queen Bee and HaruHaru.

Let us see some of their works:

Spoiler:  

Beautiful and awesome right ????

So keep that in mind if you plan to submit for RP of the week, for they are likely to make you an awesome banners in this thread.

by Kris

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Pet of the Month!

Rescued from the streets and loved as the princess she is, Fiona Lee has had a wonderful time adjusting to her new friend Juicesir. Her hobbies include relaxing, being cute, playing with cords, exploring, and watching copious amounts of Burn Notice and Firefly (Inara is her favorite). A sweatheart and a playful friend, Fiona enjoys copious amounts of cuddles and play time, and her purr and meow could melt hearts for miles. Look for her every Fiona Friday in the picture thread, where the weeks best pictures of her frolicking and exploring are posted!

Whose Sig?
    How well do you know the members of RPA? Then tell us - to whose signatures do these images belong?

Answers may be pm'd to G or Tune.
    The first three to correctly answer will receive rep.

Bonus (you are not required to answer this one to win, just a little bit harder, for fun):

From the Mouth of the Members

This week I asked you about that one roleplay idea that's been in the back of your mind forever, but for whatever reason, never came to fruition. I also wanted to know about your favourite place on RPA!

Storm
    Jeremor
    Aki Shinome
    Azriel Lilith
    There is an anime that had a season 1 with 13 episodes. Episode 13 abruptly wrapped the story up almost like the studio ran out of funding and quickly wrapped the story up.

Since Tokko is still perhaps my fav anime, was always thinking of doing a story or RP as more a season 2. Have actually started the story several times but never to the point of posting the RP or story. This still may happen down the road sometime .... so stay tuned
    An idea I've never actually tried yet is something known as a Godgame on other forums. Each player creates a god, using a very simple 'stat' system so everybody remains somewhat even, and they create their own domain and country pretty much however they like. The world ages, the gods war against each other or ally together or whatever. I've wanted to run one of those types of games for a while, but just don't have the time to set it all up. Well, let see here...ah! This one idea I had in my head for quite sometime is developing a formula for RP Racing that takes into account every single word typed so that positions are more accurate. But I haven't really taken it out of the theory stages yet but maybe soon. That would have to be the Omega Rp, where Omega is a god and a group of powered children have to fight and defeat him, to stop him from destroying the world, like he has with so many others.
    Now my favorite place on RPA? Real toughie since they are all just fantabby. I do like to lurk around creative to read peoples stories and look at the art work they do. I also hang around downtown in games and madness. Could also find me around General RP and Mature RP looking for interesting stories. Swing by discussions frequently too, don't post that often since my replies sometimes take the form of a novel. Sometimes I start a reply and after 700 days and 9 billion pages I end up not posting due to losing train of thought (plus the poster by that time has graduated university, got married and had children of their own ... lol). So will wimp out on just one favorite place and say ... RPA it's self. I do enjoy a bit of downtown-ing occasionally, but I'd have to say my favorite place is the Private Roleplay Forum. My things there are what I look forward to most, and would be saddest to lose. As for my favorite place on this site, you will most likely find me bouncing around the Parody and Fantasy forums. My favorite place is the fantasy section, or, 1x1. I'm not sure actually.

The Tribune Wordsearch - Members of RPA!

Since no one has yet correctly completed this puzzle, here's another chance to win! The first three members to finish will receive a shiny rep prize! Answers may be PM'd to G or Tune

Word List:

Aesa
    Alpha
    Anastasia
    Anne Bonny
    Auki
    Bee Bear
    Bia
    Blue Moon
    Casuna
    Ceres
    Cfavano
    Craze
    Delicross
    Delta
    DoughGuy
    DragonEmperorUK
    Evil Troy
    Falcon
    Fortune
    Froggy
    Gabriel Zero
    GirlyWoman
    Goldenmyth
    Hayabusa
    Housemaster
    Imposter
    Jarms
    Jeremor
    Kiall
    Koti
    Kris
    LittleLionFire
    LoveAmore
    MerryGentry
    Mindless Invalid
    Miss Devil
    Mr Boxer
    Mysteria
    Nazgul
    Omac
    Porcelien Doll
    Sentana Bentara
    SmileyCassandra
    SneakyonFoota
    SQJPure
    TheDoctor
    TheTeeJaii
    TwistedMyth
    VampiressAngel

by G

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Disclaimer: The following article is entirely fiction, and was written with only comical intent. Any resemblance to real-life places or people is entirely coincidental.

Spoiler: An Evening With... 

by Sy23

Chapter of Earth Chronicles: A New Beginning.

Earth; the home of the once proud and mighty human civilization was no more. The Oceans have dried leaving no trace of the once mighty waters that once took refuge there. Mountains, no longer green and filled with life; They were barren, stripped of everything that once was able to sustain life no longer remained hospitable to any form of life. Creatures of untold origins now roamed the land fighting over the remnant of humanity. This destruction was not unwarranted however and thus was not unexpected. Humanity had long been expecting their destruction, awaiting the day in which nature would decided to rise up and fight back for what man had so greedily taken; And rise she did in an untold and unimaginable fury.

Waters rose drowning whole cities within hours, Volcanoes erupted showering cities in lava and fire; Sweeping away all that mankind had built. The Earth rose up swallowing whole cities, the winds swept away towns as if they were no more than paper, and acid raining from the skies in rivers. Nature was merciless in her fury, and in that fury she obliterated mankind. In the annihilation of man, Nature condemned herself to death; for without man nature could not live. And thus, came the barren wasteland that is now Earth.

Inhospitable, the Earth gave rise to creatures of untold origins, creatures of such twisted creation that the very land altered at their touch; coating the atmosphere in a foul and toxic odor that surely no human could survive in. However, there was yet hope for mankind, for there was one who was spared the fury of nature and the cold grip of death. One last man, who for some unknown reason had survived and was hidden from the horrors of the world. However, it was time to wake up and greet the dawn.

With a groan of one that had slept ages, a lone man rolled over his movement creating a swarm of dust particles around him, almost as if a miniature dust storm had spawned around him. He opened his eyes and his brain slowly awoke to the scene of devastation and emptiness. The man was at a loss for words, but his brain was swirling with thoughts, and questions; Questions that needed answering.

The man struggled to stand, his limbs unable to support the weight of his body, for his limbs had not felt such weight in nigh on three hundred years. The man had slept for three hundred years, and yet his body showed no sign of aging nor fatigue. He tried to remember how he got where he was, or who had put him here, but nothing came to him. It was as if his mind was blank; Wiped clean by some unknown object or person. He had to get somewhere warm. The night was coming swiftly upon him, and he was in the open of the mid-west plains; South Dakota if he was guessing.

The man stretched stifling a groan that would echo of the hundreds of years of an unmoving slumber. He noticed a cave in the distance, or what appeared to be a cave; Perhaps his mind was playing tricks on him? Was this real? Was this a dream? If so, it was time to wake up. He gave himself a pinch on the arm and flinched at the pain it caused. It felt like a thousand knives digging into his skin; skin that had not been touched in nearly half a century.

"Nope, definitely not a...dream", he thought to himself, pausing before saying dream. He groggily began walking towards the cave in the distance. His eyes surveying the geography around him, feeling as though he was being watched. As he began to awaken he picked up his pace, eventually easing into a steady jog as he made his way to the cave that would provide protection from the harsh elements this night.

Upon reaching the cave, the man nearly gagged from the stench that cave from the cave. It was as if death itself had taken residence in the cave; which wouldn't be entirely impossible. The man tripped and stumbled on his way towards an alcove in the cave in which he would take residence for the night. Shivering the man climbed into the alcove and shifted into fetal position trying to keep his warmth to himself as the temperature drastically dropped to below freezing. As he lay there shivering the night seemed to come upon him slowly. He closed his eyes, wishing with every fiber of his being that sleep would claim him once again. And, so it did.

Though the sleep was not to remain, the man was awakened by an unearthly screech, one that echoed across the landscape outside of the cave. Covering his ears the man closed his eyes, pretending and hoping that whatever had made that unearthly noise would just fade away. His hoping was to no avail as the screech came again, this time it seemed much closer, almost as if it were outside of the cave in which he had taken residence. And, then... The sound of claws meeting stone could be heard as something entered the cave with him.

His heart beat heavily in his chest as he remained in fetal position, his breath caught within his throat in sheer terror. Something was in this cave with him, and it was getting closer. He could hear smell the odor coming from whatever was with him in that cave, and it was getting stronger. The sound of claws scraping stone echoed of the walls, making it hard to determine where the creature was coming from. Sweat beaded on the mans forehead, his adrenaline shooting through his veins, his vision improving by one hundred percent.

He could not hear the creatures breath right outside of his hiding place. He froze as all sound within the cave stopped, and for three minutes he sat there in complete silence waiting to see if whatever it was had left. Very slowly, he opened his eyes, his heart thumping erratically in fear and curiosity. Slowly, he allowed his legs to stretch from fetal position to straight out at the edge of the alcove. He sat up his eyes facing the opposite direction, and slowly he turned his head towards the opening...

His eyes reached the opening of the alcove, and he let out a sigh of relief. There was nothing there, but then a flash of a bright red was seen in the corner of his eye. His eyes zeroed in on whatever had gained his attention in the corner of alcove. As his eyes adjusted he was able to make out a black silhouette in the alcove mouth, just standing there, or rather hunched there. It appeared oddly human-like in figure and he relaxed. His eyes must've been playing tricks on him.

And, just as he moved towards the mouth of the alcove, and inhuman growl rumbled throughout the cave and ever so slowly two red orbs appeared in the corner of the alcove. The red eyes had slits, almost cat-like, and they were focused on him. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end as those malevolent orbs of fire eyed him as if he were food.

And, in a matter of seconds the shadow was moving, the orbs moving closer to him, on what appeared to be all fours. He turned and crawled for dear life towards the back of the alcove hoping here was a way out. He could hear those claws directly behind him, and he could feel the hot breath of whatever was following him on his legs. He crawled faster, and reached an opening on the other side of the alcove and slid out of it and onto the moonlit floor. He no longer heard the sound of scraping on stone or the growl of the creature that was following him. He stood brushing himself off and proceeded towards the exit of the cave.

Just as he was about to reach the mouth of he cave, the sound of claw scraping on rock echoed throughout the cave again, and that same inhuman growl rumbled again. He turned around and faced the creature. It was hideous. Its skin leathery and black, his front "hands" showed the veins within the skin and claws as white as ivory. It's body was bent abnormally, and twisted impossibly to where its stomach was on top where its back should have been. That was when he noticed the teeth; twelve rows of razor sharp teeth with two canines sticking from the top of its gums to the bottom lip. It growled once more and slinked closer to him at a very slow pace, almost as if it wanted him to run.

He took that chance and took off at a full sprint out of the cave and onto the plains, sure that the creature was following him. As he was running he turned to look behind him, and the creature was gaining on him, it was inhumanly fast. Its claws tearing at the earth, ripping up a dust trail as it ran after it's prey; Turning his head foreward he ran faster knowing that his death was coming on him quickly. He felt the adrenaline surging through his veins and he pushed his body to go faster, however he could not match the speed of the creature hunting him. Within a matter of second the creature had tackled him and was in his face, its hot breath on his face. It looked to the sky and let out a terrible, ear shattering screech. It was signaling that it had caught its prey. That was when the screeches reached him; it sounded almost like a banshee screech, there had to be thousands of them out there, and this would surely be his death.

The creature stopped its screeching and turned its attention back to its prey and sniffed at him, it snorted at the scent, and goo from the creatures nose splattered the mans face. And, then the creature attacked, Its teeth sinking in to his neck. The man barely had time to register a scream of agony before his body began feeling numb. He was losing his cognitive abilities, and his consciousness was fading. His vision faded in and out as his blood was being stolen from him by this creature...

by Summersrise

The Pure One
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Always entertaining. ^^

Still looking for my name on that damn word search

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Superhero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

5 up, 14 from the right.

I got you.

Oh I loved too much; and by such, by such, is happiness thrown away.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yay! Marvelous, as always.

Also, ya'll better submit to storyteller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome! I love theeeesssseeeeeeee

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)

Glad you're all enjoying it ^^

Also, loving the amazing new graphics by Tune <3