Thread: Cartel's Guide to the Extreme Basics of RPing

"We're living in a dream; an endless fantasy," ~Yohio ♥
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy and Parody/Fan-based RP; Be warned; I write *a lot*
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

WIP Cartel's Guide to the Extreme Basics of RPing

Please do not reply directly to this thread until I finish my guide. Thank you very much!

Are you an RPA newbie that doesn't know where to start? Are you not only new to RPA, but role-playing as a whole? Don't know the terminology, etiquette, or how to role-play in general? Or are you a veteran RPer looking to expand your horizons, learn more about your hobby, and/or refresh yourself on some of the basics? Well then this is the guide for you - Cartel's Guide to the Extreme Basics of RPing! This is mostly related to RPA's system and not considered a complete guide for other RPing formats, though it can certainly be useful.

This guide will teach you everything you need to know to work your way towards becoming a pro role-player in no time; from what role-playing even is to how to start (and finish!) your own role-play on RPA or anywhere else, this guide is the guide for you!

In order to appeal to a wider range of readers, this guide assumes you're are completely new to not just RPA, but role-playing as a whole.

----------
    CHAPTER ONE: So I'm new here...
    ----------

So you've just joined RPA and you're confused about, well, pretty much everything. You've looked over the rules and even introduced yourself, but everything else seems intimidating and you might even feel embarrassed about some of the questions you have as a newbie.

First of all, don't be embarrassed. RPA is a good place filled with good people, and many like myself would even consider RPA a second home. Staff or not, we're pretty much all friendly, and happy to help; you need only ask~

If you haven't already, you should probably look at the Advice, Resources, Help, FAQ's thread to see if it has an answer to your question before asking. If not, this is the perfect place to ask!

Last, but not least, before getting to the actual guide, this guide is but second best to Auki's Guide to RPA. Her guide is formatted and written extremely well, and has pretty much all you need to know about this website; it certainly helped me tons when I first joined. The only thing my guide has that hers doesn't is that it talks about RPing as a whole with minor focus on RPA, and as such can potentially be used as a guide for other role-play functions as well. Mine can guide you through the entire world of role-playing, but hers can be used as a literal map and guide of the RPA website itself if you want more of a strict focus.

Now, without further adieu, let's finally get to the guide!

DISCLAIMER: This will not be a guide to RPA specifically, but a guide to RPing based around RPA's standards, just in case there was any confusion. Also worthy of note, I will link to a few places here and there that I think help as well. Unless stated otherwise, links will always be on-site.

----------

NEWS
    This section will be removed upon the completion of my RP Guide and replaced with a Table of Contents

1/9/15: Updated posts to say "chapter" instead of "step" and updated chapter 4 with a new section "Don't Die! How to Create a RP Set Up for Success"
    January 1st, 2015: Added the news section and completed The History of Role-Playing section

My plan is to add character building help (linking to Housemaster's classroom as well~), links to the rules of RPA and stuff, and a step-by-step guide to both joining and creating a RP. I'd also like to add a "How to be a good GM" section somewhere. If you have something else you'd like me to add, let me know! For now, enjoy what's here

----------

Spoiler: Role-Play Dictionary 

----------

Think I should add something? Shoot me a PM with your advice!

Please do not reply directly to this thread until I finish my guide. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by CartelSaide; 03-29-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Spoiler: Need some RP advice? Click show~ 

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

----------
    CHAPTER TWO: What is Role-Playing?
    ----------

The basic definition of role-playing [shorthand RPing] is:
    (1) to assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), especially in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction
    (2) To assume or act out a particular role.
    Sources = (1) Dictionary.com (2) The Free Dictionary

Spoiler: Different Forms of Role-Playing 

Spoiler: The History of Role-Playing 

Last edited by CartelSaide; 01-13-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

----------
    CHAPTER THREE: How to be a good RPer
    ----------

RPing at it's core is storytelling, an experience that goes back to the days before we even developed languages to verbally portray stories with. Naturally it's going to be an experience you potentially make friends with as a result, since finding like-minded people who are into the same crazy fantastical things you are is quite an invigorating experience in and of itself!

So here a few tips from some folks who have been around the block a few times to help keep you safe, happy, and at the top of your game when you just click with a fellow player and want to step into a friendship beyond that of the storytelling within your RP.

Spoiler: Safe and Sound 

Spoiler: RP Etiquette 

Last edited by CartelSaide; 01-09-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

----------
    CHAPTER FOUR: How to RP
    ----------

I could write dozens upon dozens of guides about getting started with different forms of RP, but seeing as you're on RPA - a mainly story-based RPing website - I'm going to assume that you've narrowed down your decision at least that far. Also, while this part of the guide can still be used for most other RP websites similar to RPA, be sure to check guides specific to each website before assuming it's my way or the high way :3

Spoiler: Baby's First Role-Play 

Spoiler: How to Join a Role-Play UNDER CONSTRUCTION 

Spoiler: How to Create a Role-Play COMING SOON 

Spoiler: Don't Die! How to Create a RP Set Up for Success 

Last edited by CartelSaide; 01-09-2015 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

----------
    CHAPTER FIVE: How RPA is different from other RP sites
    ----------

Coming Soon~ Links that will be featured and similar information the info I'll be providing here in the future:
    RPA's BBCode guide
    New Member Restrictions
    Roleplay Adventures Guidelines
    How does the Reputation system work?

~~~~~~~

These are kinda sorta notes to self, but don't worry! This space is here because it WILL be used

----------
    Things I'm gonna add to different parts later somehow
    ----------

Last edited by CartelSaide; 01-09-2015 at 10:43 AM.