Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 434445

Thread: [M] Deisidus: Fall of the Guardians ( IC )

Crimson Casanova
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

So, Alina is now a ticking time bomb. Sajreth listened carefully to the words of the wise Guardians. The corruption that took a hold of Alina will be permanent until her death, and it will only get worse until then. Surely, death and destruction would follow her every step once the darkness within her heart took full bloom. Sajreth wondered if it was best to simply end Alina's life now, give her a merciful death before anymore suffering was incurred to her or anyone else for that matter.

Yet, Drae was right. Sajreth should be ashamed of himself for thinking such brutal thoughts. There was darkness within Sajreth's heart as well - a tainted darkness that many would deem be the Great Betrayer's will. Sajreth has received great prejudice before whenever his true powers were revealed, Alina was no exception when she found out. However, there were others, such as Blake and Draedyn, that didn't give up on the light still trapped beneath the darkness of his heart.

He cannot give up on Alina either. His job in this life was not done. There was too much unfinished business. Sajreth's eyes glanced at Draedyn, the beautiful battle-warrior that captured his heart ever since he first laid eyes on her. There was one other time when a woman gave him such strong positive feelings, which included hope for the future. He could not deny the special connection between the two of them. Should he follow his heart? Or will history repeat itself once more, and something that he cared for will be taken away once more?

Sajreth sighed heavily, such bitter thoughts clouding his head and his judgment. Memories of his first love's death will forever haunt him, and the sight of Draedyn's mangled body still lingered in the back of his mind. Pain and suffering. Sajreth hated to admit this, but he felt these were the only two things that he could count on for his cursed life.

Regardless, his journey wasn't at its end. He glanced back at Alina, his heart full of pity for the poor woman. Now, that was a selfless being, who decided to take on the burden of the world. It was ironic that one of the Creator's most devoted followers is now becoming His bane. Sajreth wouldn't let her life end in such a manner.

The Shadow's Embrace
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Alina stayed on her knees, her gaze to the ground in the presence of the two Guardians. Guardians that were painful to her gaze to see. Guardians her body wasn't worth to gaze upon. This revelation hurt her the most, the pain from even trying to look upon such holy figures. What about the Scriptures? She was able to recite them just fine, but what about reading them from the scroll? Would she even be able to touch them? These questions rolled through her head and made her almost miss the people coming to stand next to her.

She listened to Drae and smiled a bit, feeling glad to have such a friend and then Blake standing up by her side. Undeserving wench! She winced visibly, clutching her head with a single hand. She wasn't going to let this stop her though. She had to fight this corruption with everything she had. So she grabbed her twisted staff, holding tight to it as she pulled herself up to stand. As she started to turn her gaze upwards she locked her gaze upon Sajreth. Her gaze turned apologetic of sorts, speaking words she couldn't get herself to say right now to him. Silent forgiveness for her actions and hatred and her distrust.

Finally she prepared herself for the pain and turned her gaze fully upwards to look upon the two Guardians. She rocked slightly, her knuckles turning white with the grip upon her staff. Her eyes were a swirling black, dissipating with each blink as she forced the whispers and pain of the corruption aside until it just hung upon the outside of her eyes. "The.. The Guardians speak true. It was a blessing from the Cre-" She gave a bit of a cough, gripping her staff tighter. "The Creator I was about to do it. When I was touched by his power... I could barely understand the being that is the corruption. I don't even believe that it would just stay in my body even after I die. There is nothing I can promise about it truely and honestly, except that I will continue to fight this."

She looked at Blake and Drae with a sad smile. "There will be times when I will lose my control, that is a fact that cannot be denied. As strong as my faith is... It will break through. Even convince me that I'm doing right... It's times like those I will need people like you. To bring me back to my senses before I can do something... Irreversible..." She looked at the two Guardians again, ignoring the whispers and the pain. "I'd ask for your blessings. Strength to carry us through as we continue to finish walking the path the Creator placed for us. However, I don't believe that in my state I could accept and use your blessings... Instead I ask for your blessings upon the rest of the group. Give them strength. Give them wisdom. Give them your blessings in my stead. Give them the will to continue upon our path..." She finally returned her gaze to the ground, her head pounding from keeping her gaze upon the Guardians.

She reached over to Blake, her hand stopping midway towards him before dropping back to her side. "Blake... I will leave the Ceremonial rites to you for... Those that have fallen..." Her look around had spotted that their group was now smaller and it weighed upon her heart. "I'd do it, but I feel so exhausted now." It was true, but what she didn't speak of what her doubts that she could do it properly. She was no longer pure, no longer holy. Would she be able to send off spirits to the proper place? She didn't want that burden upon her, not right now.
    I am the blade of shadows embrace. Just because I am a user of an unholy power doesn't make me evil. For without light, a shadow cannot exist.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Heson Shadowbane is on discord! For those friends of mine that want to keep in touch with me just send me a message and I'll give ya my deets.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Mature Fantasy, occasionally Sci-Fi and will dabble in other stuff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tressa said nothing when Blake asserted that the answer to the corruption surely dwelled within the Scriptures, and on account of her featureless face, none could read the emotions that the comment sparked. None except her brother, Tervyneern, who eyed her with concerned curiosity, feeling the waves of anxiety and fear she suddenly exuded. But the mortals kept his attention a while longer, and he did not question her about it immediately.

Alina’s statements regarding the foreign nature of the corrupting influence unnerved Draedyn, but she nodded grimly in acquiescence when the priestess asked that they help her whenever she slipped into darkness. She looked on at the elven woman for a long while, witnessing the pain that wracked her body seemingly every moment. The thought that even the Guardians, ancient and immortal, did not know where this evil originated from was disturbing. The huntress’s gaze passed to Tressa, the only one they knew of so far to have felt its taint. She believed the Guardian of Wind and Sky to be cleansed, but intuition told her that the angelic being was still hiding something.

Alina’s request for a blessing from the Guardians went unanswered by Tressa, who merely lowered her face and looked away. Though she said nothing, it was easy to discern that she did not feel worthy of granting that boon, still reeling and distraught over her actions. Tervyneern, however, stepped forward.

“You place too much faith in us and not enough in yourselves,” he responded, his voice rolling over them like thunder despite his gentle tone. “But nevertheless, you will have our strength, our wisdom, and our will whenever we can offer it. Make no mistake, however: darkness will come, and terrible trials lie in wait for you. It is not our strength that will see you through them, but your own. Now, there is no time left to lose. Let us perform a ceremony for your fallen friends, then we must decide upon our next move.”

Though battered and bruised, the next two hours were spent stoically gathering Alderin’s remains and taking them into the abandoned village of Kairn’s Wake, a short walk north of where they were ambushed. Though still located along the narrow mountain passage with peaks continuing securely to their west, the mountains to the east had come to an abrupt stop, leaving the village on a broad, rocky outcropping with a deadly cliff-face to the east instead. This offered the companions a tremendous view of the grassy plains that lay beyond the Wyvern’s Perch Mountains, awash in brilliant colors as the sun slowly crept into the sky, as well as a suitable location for a funeral.

Traditionally, elves were buried and a tree planted over their grave so that their earthly forms could help usher in new life. However, amid the paths of stone, there was no place for such a burial. A grave of stone was briefly discussed, but it was ultimately decided that Alderin should be cremated, and so a pyre was constructed and his body placed atop of it. While the ceremonial rites were performed--Nirvana honored in spirit, as there were no earthly remains--Tervyneern set the pyre ablaze. The silent gathering watched it burn for a long while.

“Where do we go from here?” Draedyn asked, voice heavy with her grief, though she kept herself in check. The group was beyond exhausted, the night spent in fierce battle, the dawn in bidding fond farewell to two friends. The huntress, for her part, felt that she could hardly go another step without rest. Though they were now seated a ways off from the skeleton of the pyre meekly partaking of their morning rations, the thought of a hot meal and even the cheapest of beds was torturously enticing.

“We are days away from reaching even a humble town,” Draedyn continued, “and the only lead we had on this corruption was Tressa. Now she is cleansed, Alina is in danger, and we have no other clues as to where we should go to look for the source. We can’t just roam aimlessly. We need a plan, and we have nothing.”

“I suppose patience is easier to come by when you are immortal,” came a mellifluous voice from behind the group. Draedyn turned her head in a startled rush to see Rymnalynne, mere yards away, looming over the Chosen. A small smile curled her lips, but her eyes bore sorrow at seeing the reduced number before her. Her uncanny gaze passed briefly to the pyre. “I am sorry for your loss, but eternally grateful that you saved my sister.” Rymnalynne looked at the Guardian in question, who nodded her greeting, then peered at Tervyneern. “And I am glad to see you managed to find some help along the way.” Now she inspected Sajreth and Catherine. “It is most fortunate that you stumbled across my beloved brother. It had not occurred to me that, due to his nature, he could enter where I and my siblings could not, immune to attacks against the mind as he is. You are indeed blessed.”

The Guardian of the Wild gazed then at Alina, golden eyes gentle and filled with compassion. “There are no words of comfort I can offer you, child of the Creator, except to say that we are all in your debt for the great sacrifice you have made for Tressa’s sake. Be strong and know that we will do everything in our power to discover the source of this evil and put an end to it. Hope is not lost.”

“I need to speak with you,” Tressa said suddenly, tone urgent yet simultaneously lacking emotion. “All of you,” she clarified, though it was clear she meant the Guardians, not their present company. Rymnalynne and Tervyneern studied her a moment, then the former nodded. Draedyn watched Tressa, again aware that she was withholding information, information she clearly intended to share with her siblings but not with Draedyn and her companions.

“First,” Rymnalynne said to the mortals, her kind and honeyed tone in stark contrast to Tressa’s sharper, unreadable one, “we will help you along in your journey. Together, Tressa and I can send you to a nearby town so that you may rest and resupply. I will meet with you again as soon as I am able.”

Tressa glided forward as Rymnalynne spoke and wrapped the group in her ethereal wings, which began to glow a bit brighter. As the appendages coursed over and through them, their wounds healed, even the smallest and oldest of cuts obtained in previous battles or simply by trudging through shrubbery. Still, the boon did not extend to physical or mental exhaustion--only rest would cure that.

That done, Tressa and Rymnalynne spread their arms, the Chosen gathered between them. No words were spoken, but an aura of power emanated from both beings, growing stronger with each passing moment. The air not only grew warmer, but Draedyn could swear she saw it shaking, shimmering. Then their surroundings became hazy, as though seen through a fog, and began to shift.

“This might be disorienting for you,” Rymnalynne stated, though she suddenly sounded far away. “I apologize for the discomfort.”

Then all noise ended abruptly and all that was solid, including the ground beneath their feet, fell away. It returned just as quickly, but the brief sensation made their stomachs churn, and Draedyn stumbled a tad as stone became grass beneath her feet. Mountains had melted away to be replaced by trees and the sky was several shades darker, the sun not yet reaching over the mountains to touch the rest of Deisidus. The huntress peered around--the Guardians and Kairn’s Wake were gone. The companions were just inside the cover of trees with a dirt road yards ahead of them, snaking for about a quarter mile before reaching a modest town, torches still burning away the last vestiges of darkness while the first rays of a new sun crept through the sky.

“Well,” Draedyn spoke into the silence, “that was convenient.” Then she started towards the town, her comrades in tow.
    Last edited by ☆Catwoman☆; 02-13-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    Set by the masterful Karma

Member of the Month October
    Varies
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Asham only bit his lip as the others decided not to leave Alina behind. He was relieved that they didn't have to, but he was also worried. Guilt didn't weigh down on his conscience that he'd thought about leaving her behind. Like he'd said, he didn't want to, but.... Oh well. It didn't matter now. When Tervyneern said it was noble to stay by Alina's side and also that it was a must, Olono got this really determined look on her face, so he realized it was something they were going to be involved with whether they had a choice or not.

Even though he was slightly unhappy with this, and part of him still wondered if going with Alina was a good idea since apparently there was nothing they could do and that meant one of them could very well end up killed, another part of him was mad at the guardians. They were so quick to say 'no'.
    What do you mean 'no'!? You just said it was miraculous that she was able to remove the corruption from you! That means you thought it wouldn't work on you either, right? That means you thought that there was a chance you'd get killed! Doesn't that mean it can still be gotten rid of? and then Tervyneern, And if you're not sure that it'll stay with her until she dies or not, doesn't that mean there's a chance it won't so it can still be gotten rid of? We just don't know it yet? Even if we can't do anything for her directly, couldn't it still be diminished inside of her? And then isn't staying with her something? You're the doubtful ones. You... ugh.... You confuse me.

He didn't know whether he should be hopeful or doubtful or what. He refused, though, to believe that there was no way they could help her, and decided that the guardians were talking in circles, and he had every right to be angry over it because this was a person's life they were talking about, and while everyone was asking questions, nothing they were saying was very helpful. He didn't say anything though, and all that came off of him were waves of mild annoyance.

It weakened, however, when Alina spoke. He hated that she had to say everything she did. True, he didn't understand scriptures and such and stuff like asking for blessings or even the necessity of it, but he knew it was something very important to her. He didn't like seeing people give up things for others. She was corrupted now... her life as a priestess.... He glanced at Blake, thinking about what he'd just said about leaving her, then looking down at the ground. Suddenly I do feel bad about mentioning that...

Olono, on the other hand, didn't look upset. Not at all. She was suddenly feeling a bit more optimistic. They didn't need to leave Alina, and maybe they really could save her! Okay, it was probably a dumb idea to think that too freely, but they could.. well, they had her whole lifetime to figure this all out, so maybe. It might be an implausible maybe, but it still didn't mean 'no'.

Her demeanor fell, however, when Blake mentioned performing rituals for the fallen. She didn't want to look when Alderin's body was burned, but she did. She felt like it would be disrespectful not to.
    She wasn't pulled away from the sight until Rymnalynne made an appearance, to which, she offered a weak smile, but that was best that she could muster.

Asham gave her a sympathetic look as he listened to Rymnalynne speak, but he wasn't really focused on either of them. There was too much emotional energy for him to pay attention to just one thing, and he felt it from both the people around him and the guardians, which he wasn't used to because the waves from them were really strong. It wasn't until Tressa spoke that he was actually able to listen whole-heartedly... which bothered him because he had to wait to hear what she actually had to say. She was the one who omitted the most out of everyone. He was almost annoyed when they were transported away to a town. This meant he had to wait longer.
    He sighed, deciding not to care.

Olono glanced at him before leaning over and whispering, "Stop being so nervous."
    His own emotions were coming off strongly as well, and writing novels about his uneasiness towards the guardians. He'd been so caught up in everything that had happened, he hadn't realized it. Now he was glad that they hadn't stuck around longer. We certainly are getting a lot of their help for this whole journey... That bugged him.
    Something Tervyneern had said rang through his mind, “You place too much faith in us and not enough in yourselves.”

"... I think it might be the opposite for me..." he muttered.
    "What?"
    "Oh, nothing," he smiled at Olono, then looked away. I really hope there is a way to help Alina... and that we don't need to run into all these giant spirits all the time!

Avi and Sig made possible by: Kicks!
    Because she is the awesomest in all of ever!

Willshaper
    Semi realistic, and fantasy, with a pinch of Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

For a long time Fayte lay under that pine tree, her mind swimming as the last remnants of Nirvana's energy faded away. As it left Fayte her mind was filled with images. Pictures of a small group of people. A huntress with stern eyes and a firm jaw, an elf with a dark aura about him and what appeared to be sadness in his eyes, a human boy with a large axe and little else to do with his life, a young human girl, sometimes hesitating and with a secrecy about her, and finally a priestess with white robes and an almost unhealthy selflessness. alongside these Fayte kept hearing a whisper almost urging her to find them. telling the elf to finish what was started with that strange party. But where were they?

Fayte blinked her eyes open after several hours. She was no longer in her spirit body, rather she was in a flesh and blood body, her own body. She turned her head to each side and found herself in a strange place. At the same time she felt something soft touching her all over and a heavy yet comforting pressure on top of her. She reached out and felt the strange object, large heavy blanket, then the strange soft thing that was touching her all over, a light grey dress that went down to her ankles, when she was satisfied that she wasn't going to be hurt by these things Fayte sat up. She did so slowly almost unsure of how her new body worked.

Off to her right Fayte heard something wood brush agaist more wood and some light footsteps on a wooden floor. She turned her head to see a human girl, short. maybe to her waist,with light brown hair and dark eyes set against pale skin and a similar dress to what Fayte now wore.
    "Hello there..." Fayte said softly, her body seeming to say something but she couldn't tell what. she felt like she wanted something. something... Fayte couldn't remember what it was her body wanted.

The human girl meanwhile slipped out the door, that wooden thing, calling for "Papa" and "Momma" saying something like.
    "The strange elf girl is awake, and she looks hungry!"
    Fayte didn't understand any of that but she soon spotted the same small human girl outside the door, a bigger version of her had just walked up carrying a tray made of wood with some things on it that Fayte was drawn to.
    "Good morning." the woman said as she set the tray down.
    "Here, you must be hungry. "
    Fayte looked at the tray and gently picked up a piece of cooked bacon. Fayte put it in her mouth on instinct and bit down. Her eyes widened slightly and she quickly took another bite and another. soon she had finished the bacon and moved to a loaf of bread. She had a similar experience with the bread and finished it quickly as well.
    "Th... thank you...I was." Fayte said in her soft voice her throat now feeling dry. she scratched at it which seemed to make the small one laugh.
    "I think she's thirsty momma." The little girl said with a wide grin.
    "She's kinda weird."
    The woman turned to the girl and gave her a look.
    "Now Sandra be nice, She's had a hard night and just woke up. "
    The girl looked down seemingly ashamed for a moment but popped right back up and jumped up right next to Fayte.
    "Wow, did you come from the forest miss elf?" the small girl, Sandra, asked seeming to jump in place.
    Fayte looked at her for a moment and nodded.
    "I guess so." Fayte looked at the apparently older human "Where am I?" she managed to say without having to pause to find the words.
    "You're in the Blinking Lantern inn, My husband found you apparently unconscious near the old pine tree a few miles away. that was last night. He took you here and we managed to find you a dress. took a while since you're so tall and thin, but we found one." the woman explained which seems to encourage the smaller human again.
    "Do you have a name miss elf?" she questioned earnestly earning herself another look from her mother.
    "Sandra, you don't ask people their name after they just woke up,' Fayte interrupted with a small laugh.
    "It's ok miss. My name is Fayte... It's nice to meet you Sandra."

The woman smiled softly as Sandra jumped up on the bed exited that she had met a new friend, for however short a time.
    Downstairs a door was heard opening and a male voice calling out a name Fayte couldn't quite make out. though the woman seems to recognize it and she left the room t call out.
    "I'm up here darling, the elf girl you picked up last night is awake. She's already had breakfast."
    a few more words were exchanged and the woman returned to the room.
    "Well my husband is glad to hear you're awake. though he'd like you to help out around the inn if you can walk."
    Fayte looked at Sandra for a moment then slowly she shifted out of bed. her feet were bare and seemed to recoil at the cool touch of the floor. but her legs soon found the strength to stand.
    "I would love to repay you for your kindness... You've al done so much for me already." Fayte said looking down at Sandra and smiling.
    "And I kinda need somewhere to stay."
    the woman smiled kindly and gently took Fayte's arm to help her walk.
    "Good, but you'll have to work while you stay here."
    Fayte looked at her for a moment and nodded.
    "I guess so. I'll do whatever I can."

Not an hour later, as the sun rose higher in the sky.
    Fayte and the woman, who's name she discovered was Amelia, were outside changing out the water to wash dishes with. Well Fayte was being taught how to change the water and just a little earlier she learned to help chop wood.
    Throughout the day until around noon Fayte was going to help with chores the best she could and then she and Amelia would take Sandra to the market to get some things for the inn and some more flour for that night. Once done they returned to the inn for the day and would have their supper. Fayte they agreed would help out with the guests that night as well.
    Last edited by Derpnaster; 01-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.

"Life before death,
    Strength before weakness,
    Journey before destination."
    -The First Ideal

fantasy -- or anything with a good plot really :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Catherine looked with awe as the two guardians looked upon them. As Tervyneern spoke towards the young priestess, Catherine looked down in respect. That was until the metal-cat-guardian suggested that they all mourn their fallen, before they were to move on.
    Though she liked the idea, Catherine had never known any of the ones who had died in the battle against Tressa. She had never even known their name. And on the way to Kairn’s Wake, the young woman could not help but wonder if she was truly worthy to be here, among these other Chosen. The only name she knew was Sarjeth’s, and he was hardly the only one in the group. She didn’t even know what his lover’s name was, nor did she know what the other people around her were called. She was a stranger to this lot. And here she was, barging in on their moment of sorrow, when she had no relation to these people, whatsoever. She might be a Chosen, just like them, but that was basically it.

The next two hours, Cat helped as well as she could, trying to make herself useful in some way, despite her body was sore after the battle, and it sometimes turned into a rather painful effort. She was somewhat sad for the fallen elf, that he could not have the funeral of his people, but since she didn’t really knew him, the sympathy faded as soon as the ceremony was over. Instead, her eyes lingered on the faces of her companions, in an attempt to read each of them. Who had this elf been to them? Was he someone important? And how deep were their grief? Obviously not deep enough for them to be incapable to forgive Tressa for her murder, but still deep enough that everyone fell respectfully silent as time passed by, until the ceremony was finally over. Then Sarjeth’s girl broke the silence. Judging from her voice, she was one of the more grief stricken of the bunch. As she spoke, Catherine realized the elf was stating all of each their worries and problems that they had ahead of them, and she looked to her feet, unable to answer.

When they all turned to see Rymnalynne behind them, the young red-head couldn’t help but feel the same kind of recognition she had felt before, when meeting the Guardian for the first time. When Rymnalynne addressed Catherine and Sajreth, she nodded in respect to the Guardian, though it was also because she agreed with the beast-like woman; they had been very fortunate. Both for Tervyneern’s patience and his willingness to assist them on their task. Only the Creator would know what would have happened if he hadn’t been there to occupy the Dragon while the Chosen took care of Tressa. It would have been very hard battle indeed.

When Tressa spoke, Catherine couldn’t help but lock her eyes on the guardian, cold eyes shimmering with suspicion. So though she had been cleansed, she was still withholding information from them? Cat didn’t like it, and she clutched her fists in slight frustration, but didn’t say anything. Instead, she turned her eyes on the pupilless eyed Guardian. It would seem she and Tressa would help them home. But before they did so, Tressa healed their cuts, wounds and bruises. Though it didn’t help to cure their exhaustion or their sore bodies, it was nice not to have to bother with the stings and aches from their wounds. Then, Rymnalynne bid her goodbyes, and the group was escorted to another place indeed.
    As the female elf had stated, this was indeed convenient, though Cat didn’t bother to complain, and simply followed lead after the young huntress, eager to get a warm bath, a clean bed and a good amount of sleep. The red-head sighed in contempt at the thought.

Image made by mah buddeh~!

For all who read my blog I AM GETTING BETTER. I'm not all there yet, but I'm not down the pit anymore Don't worry about me, I'll pull through. Thank you everyone who were there for me

I Forgot My Title....
    Medieval Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Alina just grew silent throughout the whole proceedings after she spoke. Even during the cerimony for their fallen friends the former cleric didn't speak up at all. In her state she didn't feel like she had the privelage to participate, to say the words of the Creator for their souls. Even when Rymnalynne showed up the elf bowed her head, but not out of respect. It was out of shame of what she was, not to mention the pain she felt when looking upon so pure a form. So her head remained bowed to look upon the ground as the Guardians spoke, her voice silent among everything.

When Tressa glided over them and covered the group with a healing glow, the dark cleric knelt to the ground and held her head tightly. The glow she washed over her made the whispers in her head louder, chastising her for her darkness, her inability to save the two that died. Mental pain seared thorugh her body until Tressa finished. With the healing done, her cuts and scrapes gone, Alina began to stand up again. She reached out and grabbed Blake's arm to use him as a bit of a crutch to pull herself up while keeping her gaze low. She kept her grip on him as the ground disapeared and then reappeared under their feet.

The presence of the Guardians finally gone, Alina finally stood up straight for the first time since she became corrupted and sighed softly. The whispers were gone, leaving her in glorious silence. She looked around and spotted the town that Drae saw and began to walk towards. Alina took a few steps forward before stopping. "Wi-will this place have a church? Will I be able to step in? What of my clerical sisters?" These questions worried her and made her grip her corrupt staff tightly. It was a sort of hell for someone as holy as her, to be unable to step into a holy place and send her prayers.

Blake was glad that his fallen comrades would be able to get some kind of farewell from the mortal plane. It felt special, having the Guardians themselves honor their sacrifices that they had made on the battlefield. Blake knew the journey was only going to become more difficult, especially without Alderin and Nirvana on their side. Through the ceremony, Blake kept a close eye on Alina-he was, after all, the one to watch over her, and the cleric was being strangely quiet for a ceremony honoring the fallen; he had been sure she would at least say something for their comrades.

He listened carefully to the Guardians, noting that even they knew the path ahead would only become more difficult. Blake was nervous, but he knew there was no way he could turn back now, not after everything he and his whole group had gone through. To turn back now would be like turning his back on the world; it was inconceivable. Blake merely nodded at the Guardians` words. "We will do what we have to do in order to succeed, you can be sure of this fact."

The healing light came as a surprise to Blake. Not only were his bruises and cuts from the recent battle vanishing, but even longtime burns from his electrical misfires were fading into nothing. Even the scar he had on the back of his hand since childhood....all gone. Blake was amazed by the Guardians` power, and he silently sent a thank-you to the Creator for having his Guardians help them on their quest. As the Guardians sent them on their way, Blake helped Alina stay upright as they teleported to a village that he assumed was the closest in the area. The Guardians were gone, and they were on their own once more. Blake sighed, starting to feel the fatigue of exhaustion.

Blake gave Alina a gentle smile to try and quell her nerves. "Alina, if the Creator were to prevent someone as noble as you from praying to him, he would be cruel. I do not think that the Creator would prevent one like you from entering a holy place for shouldering such a great corruption for his sake. As for your sisters...if they give you trouble, I will defend you, don`t you worry. But for now, why don`t we go to the market? Tell you what, if it`ll take your mind off things, I will buy you something, whatever you want, my treat. I should have enough gold, I would think."

Alina shook her head. "I will not let you fight any of the flock of the Creator Blake." She reached back on her dark robes and found a hood that she pulled over her head. She didn't want her face seen by anyone that might recognize her, she didn't want her brothers and sisters of the clergy to know of her corruption. "Come then. Maybe I will see something that will prove soothing to my mind. Such a thing may prove to be useful in the days ahead."

As they walked along towards the town Alina turned her head to Blake, having been lost in thought for the past few minutes. "Back then...When the dragon was about to kill us... I tried to call upon the power of Mavellynne to recreate my earthen dome. That didn't happen though, did it? Beneath us the earth decayed, destroying itself instead of creating." She paused to let the knowledge of that sink in before she started to mutter. "Tressa, suffocation. Tervyneern, consuming. Rymnalynne, diseased. Dessos..." She shook her head, gripping her staff tightly once again. "Will my magics be used only for destruction? If so then to whom do my prayers go to? Are there 'Guardians' made by the Betrayer that are the reverse of the Guardians we know?"

Blake recalled the events he had just endured, and remembered the crater that he and Alina had ended up in. He wanted to find a way to comfort her without setting her off; that could be a stretch. "Well, Alina, the way I see it...this may still be work of the Creator, not the Betrayer. While it is true the Guardians can create, they must also destroy at times, because otherwise the world could fall out of balance. Perhaps this is simply a different perspective of the Guardians themselves, one that focuses more on the destruction or removal of their power, as opposed to creation. That would be my take, but as I only know electrical magic, I am certainly no expert."

By now the two had reached the market, and Blake gave her another smile. "Come on, Alina, why don`t we take your mind off of things and have a look around. Remember, anything that piques your interest, within reason, is on me." Blake waited for Alina before sauntering off to see what was in stock.

Alina looked at the runes upon her staff, once runes of the various Guardians and now corrupt and twisted runes. She didn't know what the runes symbolized, but it wasn't anything she was familiar with. On the note of balance she wanted to bring up the fact that the Betrayer was the balance to the Creator. She decided not to and to keep the discomfort of the knowledge to herself as she followed Blake into the market. She tried to ignore the stares she was being given. Dark robes with black pieces of armor upon it and her twisted staff would make anyone at least glance at her.

She frowned and grabbed Blake's shoulder, pulling him into the first open shop door she found. She could hear whispers in her mind giving voices to those stares, boring into her. Outwardly she didn't show that she was hearing anything and just smiled at Blake. "Let's look around in here for a bit." She glanced around, finding that they had wandered into what seemed to be either an antique shop or an odds and ends type of shop. Tugging back a bit onher hood to help her see better she began to search through the tables, examining the various trinkets that were laying about.

Eventually she found herself drawn towards a box that had verses of Scripture etched into the outside. Pale hands reachedout and picked it up tenderly and when she lifted the lid a music box melody started to plink out. A hymn to the Creator, a simple one that was usually sung in services. It brought tears and a smile to Alina's eyes as she glanced over at Blake, the lid still hung open and the melody ringing out. "This. I want to have this."

After being dragged inside by Alina, Blake decided to take a look around; perhaps there would be something useful around here. For the most part, nothing looked particularly exciting to him. What looked like a doll from a hundred years ago, a ceramic sculpture of Rymnalynne, a few daggers that looked too rusty to ever be used again...Blake wasn`t really all that big into antiques or whatnot. Still, at least Alina was interested. He watched her examine the tables carefully before he caught sight of her checking out a box. He wasn`t sure what was inside, but when she opened it, it became clear it was a music box, of older craft from what it looked like.

Alina was becoming emotional as the music played on. Blake recognized it from an old song he used to sing back when he went to church more often; no doubt it would have more significant meaning for someone who had been devout for so long. Blake gave her a smile and calmly closed the music box, holding it carefully in his hand. "Deal. All yours." Blake carried it to the counter where the merchant stood with a glazed look in his eye, as though business had been rather slow. After a thoat clearing, the merchant took notice of the pairing, which allowed Blake to pay for Alina`s music box. It was fairly pricey, but Blake figured he could still afford anything that might catch his eye, since he doubted he would be needing gold for at least the next couple weeks.

Blake handed the music box to Alina with a soft smile. "There you are. I`m glad I could bring a smile to your face." Blake wasn`t kidding; Alina`s smile was bright and had brought some relief, even if minor, to the travels they had endured thus far. "You should try to smile more often...it might make you feel at least a little better." Blake casually strolled further into the market, turning back every few paces to make sure Alina was following. He had caught the unmistakeable scent of a forge nearby, and he wanted to see if the forgehand might have anything good in stock.

Alina smiled at she took the music box, holding it close to her. At his comment about her smiling she looked down sadly. "I try, but sometimes it's hard with the sacrifices I have done." She closed her eyes, sighing softly. "If only I had been faster I could've saved them." The dark cleric shook her head, lowering the music box and sliding it into a pocket. She followed behind Blake, falling silent as she matched his pace.

A few minutes later she'd finally speak back up. "I sacrified growing up with my family to move to the city. I was living a hard life till one of the sisters found me. I then dedicated myself to their service and in turn they taught me so much more. Even my natural magical abilities they helped teach me. I combined both of my learnings into a single art, calling upon the blessing of the Guardians to use their power. To do this I sacrificed the joys of the world some would say. I sacrified the ties to my family. But I was happy in that sacrifice." She looked up at Blake, her face just looking sad. "I sacrificed that joy, that life I had in trade for the Guardian's life. There is no personal happiness to gain from that sacrifice. Only the knowledge that I saved Tressa and what joy I can take from that."

Blake listened quietly to Alina`s story of her life, and found himself feeling bad for Alina. She had been sacrificing not just for her team, but for her whole existence. Blake`s paces slowed, then stopped, as he turned back to face the cleric he had chosen to protect. Blake thought to himself a moment: Why had he been so eager to volunteer to be her chaperone? Of course, he felt as though she had gone through enough trouble and that she should be taken care of in her unstable state, but as he contemplated, he realized there was a bit more behind it. He even remembered thinking mere moments ago that Alina`s smile was something Blake not only enjoyed, but looked forward to. Her life story tugged at his heartstrings somewhat, and his brow furrowed as he thought deeply for a moment. Something...something has changed. I don`t feel the same as I did before towards her.

"Alina, I feel like you are trying to say that devotion to the Creator requires at least some sacrifice of happiness in life. That belief would strike me as odd. You took on the darkness, the corruption, for Tressa, and thus the Creator as well. While I do agree, it may be more difficult to recreate the exact happiness from before, but....well, I think you`re missing something. The way you say it, it sounds like you now cannot take happiness from the decision to take on the darkness. I think that is untrue....the Creator would never force his children to suffer without very great reason, Alina." Blake drew closer to the cleric as he spoke, his mind working on autopilot. "The Creator would only allow suffering of his children if they willingly chose to ignore the routes to happiness he presents them with. Alina....yes, you made a great sacrifice by rescuing Tressa...but the doorways are not closed." He was standing directly in front of her now. Staring directly into her eyes, Blake allowed his arms to slowly and gently wrap themselves around her waist. "Happiness does not have to be found alone....perhaps others may be able to help you find it." His lips pressed gently to her forehead, and Blake closed his eyes, feeling soothed and strangely relaxed. Creator...I will follow this path you have given me, and I pray to you, let her see it as well...

Alina quietly listened to Blake's words, feeling her meaning was misunderstood at first. As he continued to speak though the cleric nodded softly with her eyes closed. It came as a surprise when she ended up in an embrace and automatically her hands came up and started to halfheartedly push him on his shoulders. "B-Blake..." Her whisper was lost as he continued to talk, his words striking into her heart. In taking on the corruption of Tressa into herself, she pretty much struck herself from her clerical sisters. In that aspect she was alone, but she still had the other Chosen with her.

Her arms dropped completely when she felt the lips upon her forehead, tears welling up as conflicting emotions swirled around inside her. She had taken a chaste vow upon becoming a cleric, but she could not ignore the beating of her heart that reacted to the press of lips upon her. Eventually she lowered her head and gently backed out of his arms. "I hear your words Blake and I thank you for them. I am not alone in this endeavor." She turned around, laying a hand upon her heart as she did so. "I think I'll head to the inn and meet you there. I need to take the time to pray about these things." With that said she started to make her way to the inn they saw while walking the streets, her head bowed a bit in thought. Creator. Anyone please tell me what this is. What I should do about it... She made it to the inn with no trouble and made her way up to her room after checking with the innkeeper.

As Alina made her way to the inn, Blake merely stood still a moment. That moment had been, for lack of a better word, electric. Even though he was used to the tingle of electricity, the tingling he felt during their embrace was still lingering and unfamiliar. I wonder what might be going through her head right now....I ought to wonder that as well, honestly. The scent of the forge dragged Blake out of his thoughts; after all, it was why he was not joining Alina in the trek to the inn just yet. Blake set off again, easily locating the forge in minutes.

The forgehand was busy at work slamming away at an incomplete sword, but he gave Blake a smile as he entered the shop. Many completed works for sale adorned the walls, and it was these Blake scanned as he made his way through the forge. A few swords, a helmet or two, and one large breastplate; finely made, but nothing Blake was particularly interested in. The third wall held something that caught his eye: a set of pauldrons. While they themselves looked to be made of some of the finest steel around, what particularly interested him were what appeared to be slots that decorated the shoulderguards-two per pauldron. They were circular, as if they might hold a sphere of some sort. An idea began to form in his head, but he wanted to check with the forgehand just in case. Making his way back to the man hard at work, he calmly caught his attention with the tap of his shoulder.

"Excuse me sir, but those pauldrons intrigue me...why do they have those slots on them? Were they made to store something?"

"Aye, I made those pauldrons with mage-warriors in mind. I read certain magics can be stored in orbs for later use, so I figured someone might want armor that could easily hold onto those orbs for easy access. I also have some glass orbs that fit them, if you are looking to buy." Blake gave the forgehand a smile; it was exactly what he was looking for.

"They sound perfect for me, actually. I would like them, and please include the orbs." Blake fished into his pocket, producing some gold. After a little bit of routine haggling, Blake managed to purchase the pauldrons and still have a little bit of gold left over in case of an emergency. The exchange complete, Blake strapped on his newly acquired armor, accepting the four glass orbs from the man as well. Slotting them in, he found they fit perfectly. He exited the forge just to be safe, then channeled his electricity towards the orbs. To his delight, they began to crackle as electrical energy filled them; the forgehand must have been a genius, he figured. With newfound confidence swelling in him, Blake smiled to himself. "No enemy of the Creator will stand in my way now." This confidence quickly waned to complete exhaustion as he yawned...Blake realized it had been an age since he last got a restful sleep. He figured it was best he get to the inn; surely most, if not all, of his companions would be there by now. His steps slowed slightly from fatigue, Blake took a little longer getting there than he would have hoped, but at least he didn`t collapse. Entering, he trudged over to the innkeeper to check if Draedyn or someone else might have checked them in.
    Karma is the best.

Fantasy, Mature Fantasy, occasionally Sci-Fi and will dabble in other stuff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sajreth sat casually on a large tree branch, relaxing his back against the thick bark and observing the view beyond the hillside. Faint breezes swept by the lush green field below, and the sun was setting against the horizon. A beautiful shade of red and orange mingled together in the sky, a perfect blend to marvel the glory that is nature.

Most of his day had passed by quickly and without a second thought. After arriving in the humble little town, Sajreth first decided a quick rest at the nearest inn was in order. He didn’t get any sleep, but had a nice relaxing bath that soothed his aching and bruised muscles. The past few days had been harsh towards him with the several life-and-death battles, but finally he was able to relax and enjoy the peacefulness of the world.

Afterwards, he went to the nearest blacksmith to buy himself some new armor. Now that the group finally found some time to breathe, Sajreth did notice that his leather armor from before was torn in many places from the battles and the harsh conditions of the environment and the weather. So thus, he received light metal armor which was incredibly flexible and allowed him to still be agile with his movements. A new black leather hood fell upon his face, his green eyes lingering upon the fading sun.

Many major events had happened, and Sajreth could only question once again his current role. He was a chosen one for the Creator. He was chosen to save the world. However, Sajreth’s own faith with the Creator and his Guardians was still questionable. Sajreth still had much pain over his heart because of the past. Living a life full of cruelty and losing a loved one was never easy. But gaining the tainted powers of darkness... that itself felt like a curse from the divine. Ever since he had taken upon the mantle of the Betrayer’s powers, Sajreth had become a cold-hearted murderer. He never grew close to another person in fear of hurting them because of his darker - and more dangerous - side.

Now, Alina - one of the Creator’s most devoted servants - had become corrupted by a mysterious darkness. Was this a cruel joke by the Creator? Did he purposely choose Alina to suffer unspeakable pain in His name? Or perhaps He chose Alina because she was the only one strong enough to bear the taint? After all, she was still alive and mostly well now. Perhaps there was still hope for her. Perhaps there was still hope for them all.

Yet, Sajreth’s doubts and fears lingered upon his mind and heart like a parasite feeding upon his life force. He sighed heavily, thinking about the beautiful battle-maiden, Draedyn. After all of this, she truly cared for him despite his inner demons. Was she capable of mending his broken heart? Could she save him from himself?

Too many questions, yet so little answers. Kind of the way that the Guardians left the group in the dark as Tressa obviously had important information that she hid from the mortals. So much for the Creator’s servants truly helping the chosen ones...

A slight frown formed upon the elf’s face. His lack of faith was disturbing... even to himself. He didn’t want to be this way. If he could... if he could muster the hope and strength... he would gladly believe in the Creator and His benevolence. After everything that had happened, Sajreth had been given a chance to redeem himself after all of his past sins. Perhaps he could make a tiny prayer every once in a while.

He would probably start tomorrow. Now was not the time, or so he thought. Now, he had other thoughts to brood upon. The uncertainty of the future frightened him, but Sajreth would not let such trivial ideals and doubts bother him now. He had his own path to follow and his own destiny to shape.

Draedyn, too, had wandered to the inn when they had first arrived in the town. The sun’s rays had barely begun to alight on it and all the shops were still closed. She had indulged in a hot meal and conversed with the inn’s owner, a gruff but kind man named Hon, who had informed her that they were in the quiet town of Deshire, a three day journey southwest from Razorwind Pass. It was relatively isolated, its nearest neighbor a week’s journey by carriage, and supported itself well with its bounty of crops, the soil in the region being rich. Deshire, Hon told his guest, saw its fair share of travelers, being the only decent place to stop at for many miles.

Once Draedyn had eaten and obtained the information she needed, she ventured out into the streets. Now stores and stalls were beginning to open for the morn, and Draedyn’s need for decent attire was pressing. As it was she was earning many looks, not all of them friendly, wandering around in her elven garb, and this was not a town bristling with elves. The young woman managed to sell the tatters of her guard’s uniform for a modest sum--to be washed and used for material--and bought a combination of cloth and leather armor that was similar to it. The colors were dark--black and burgundy--just the way she liked them, the only hindering leather pieces being those that covered her chest, shoulders, and thighs, with much smaller and thinner padding on her elbows and knees. The cloth was fitted, clinging to her lithe body and accentuating her fine musculature without exposing it to the elements. She purchased a black, hooded traveling cloak with crimson lining and fine knee-high leather boots, also black, to complete the look.

Then the bathhouse and its steaming waters called to her. Once scrubbed and clean, her short raven hair washed and scented with the bathhouse’s rose water, she pulled on her new garments and shopped for supplies, replenishing her company’s store of rations for the road, her own store of arrows, and various other items that might come in handy in the future. On a whim, she even had her dagger and short sword sharpened by the blacksmith, restringing her bow herself while he worked. Then she purchased a room back at the inn and spent the remaining daylight hours in a deep, dreamless sleep.

The orange rays of the dying sun shining through her window woke her. Feeling rejuvenated, Draedyn left the establishment and took a stroll through the town, admiring the beauty of the sun descending on such a quiet, peaceful place. She was reminded of Irys, though her home was quite a bit larger and more energetic. She missed it already, feeling that she had been gone for ages rather than less than a week.

Her sharp eyes caught sight of movement in a large tree on the outskirts of town, and as she approached the figure she saw that it was Sajreth. Quietly, unencumbered by her weapons--left behind in her room at the inn--she scurried up the thick trunk and slid into place beside him, knowing that no matter how silent she had been, his keen senses would have picked up on her a long way off. For a moment, she said nothing, just enjoying the view before them and the peace they had been denied for many days. Then she turned her icy blue eyes on him.

“You look troubled,” the huntress stated, her voice gentle so as not to disturb the serenity of their surroundings.

A welcomed presence entered the atmosphere, one that Sajreth couldn't get enough of and always found himself longing for. Despite his own brooding thoughts about his own shaky faith and troubled life, a small smile crept upon his lips as Draedyn slid beside him. She sat down next to him, and the scent of her freshly bathed already began to intoxicate him. He sighed lightly - very lightly. Once again, he questioned if he should allow himself to get close to Drae. He turned his attention to her, marveling at her precious beauty and the cool grace of her blue eyes. His eyes briefly lingered at her lips, remembering the last time they actually talked... or something like that... they were locking lips and unleashing their passion under the moon.

He left her behind, and for what he believed to be a good reason. Yes, he still really cared for her. Right now, he wanted to gently caress her face, and reveal his true feelings about the young woman. Yet, images of how his dark side could ruin things any second would always pop into his mind. The second he attempted to caress Draedyn, that same hand would more than likely attempt to strangle her. These thoughts... it pained him to no end. He wanted this curse to be over. He wanted to be in complete and utter control to himself. Yet, it was not to be, and this was why he always kept his distance from others.

"Yes, I suppose I am," Sajreth stated sadly before glancing away from her, almost ashamed to look at her based upon his own past actions. He sighed quietly once more, "Look... I apologize for leaving before," he stated sincerely, referencing back to the time he left Draedyn while she was asleep even though he promised to stay with her. He was sincere with his apology, and yet if he went back to the past and had a chance to change this action... he wouldn't. "As punishment... you can smack me across the face as hard as you can," he stated jokingly, this time glancing back at Drae with a soft smile while attempting to ease the tension between them.

Draedyn chuckled in response and glanced back out over the hills. She saw farmers in the distance, finishing up their daily chores while wives and daughters no doubt prepared their evening meals. It was an honest life, a good life, but one that Draedyn would never have. Were she the type to settle down, she might be sitting with a very different young elf right now.

The ghost of a frown touched her face at the thought of her nightmare, of Erenoras, of the Xirakiin that Alina had struck down in Draedyn’s place. Then Eren’s poisonous words came back to her.

“He left you. Why do you waste your affection on a shell of a man? A psychotic elf who left you to your fate. He doesn’t care about you. He didn’t even try to save you when that beast tore you apart!”

Draedyn looked at Sajreth again, his soft eyes and gentle smile, and knew that those words were false. Sajreth did care. She even understood that he had left out of a sense of protectiveness, fearing that he would bring harm to her and their companions. She had seen the pain on his face when he had looked at her after the beast had nearly killed her, the helplessness and guilt. He had left because he had thought it was best for them all.

Draedyn sighed and looked at her hands, picking at stubborn pieces of dirt that had refused to come out from beneath her short nails.

“I won’t lie, Sajreth,” she began delicately, “there is a part of me that is still angry and hurt that you lied to me and disappeared like that. I understand why you did it, but I still felt cheated, betrayed.” The young woman lifted her head and gazed at him, a mirthless smile faint on her lips. “But that part of me is a bit overshadowed by the other part that knows that if you hadn’t left, we would all be dead now, killed by Tressa’s ambush. It’s a sobering thought, and makes it a hell of a lot easier to forgive you.”

Even though Draedyn began delicately and softly, Sajreth's heart still throbbed with pain. He never did want to hurt Drae, he didn't want to betray her feelings. He only wanted what was best for her, that she deserved someone she could truly be happy with.

Sajreth had to add that to his already immeasurable guilt list. Yet, there was a large sense of relief knowing that she had already forgiven him for his actions. Perhaps she was too quick to forgive, but that was one thing the elf did not want to dwell upon.

His gaze turned away from Drae's, glancing at the farmers ahead. They lived such simple lives, ones that he himself was envious about. He could never imagine why little boys would dream of becoming legendary heroes of time; a legacy like that was too complicated and morbid to live through.

"Heh," Sajreth actually let out a small and quiet chuckle. "So either luck or the Creator has decided to grace me with forgiveness from a beautiful woman. Perhaps even both." He shook his head, almost in silent disbelief of his situation. Regardless of how he felt about always endangering the group, Drae was right, he did play a part in saving them. Just like how he saved and freed those slaves earlier. It was a good feeling, knowing that his entire life wasn't a screw-up. Being a Chosen one of the Guardians wasn't so bad after all.

Yet, speaking about the Guardians, Sajreth remembered their secrecy after the group departed. "So... what do you think Tressa and the others are hiding from us?" he questioned Draedyn, knowing that she was a bit suspicious of them also after what happened.

Draedyn’s face pinched in thought at the inquiry; it was something that had plagued her thoughts all day. “I don’t know, but Tressa seemed…on edge. Granted, she could always be that way--I wouldn’t know--but I would swear she was scared. My best guess is that she has an idea of what is behind the corruption, but wants to discuss it with her siblings rather than just blurt her suspicions. Understandable, I suppose.”

Draedyn sighed heavily, looking troubled. “Only problem is, if I’m right, and she believes the source to be something so horrible that she is trying to prevent a panic until she can confirm her theory, then we might be dealing with something far more dangerous than we realized. And worse still, if the Guardians don’t tell us their suspicions, they will be letting us trod forward blindly, without any idea of what we might be faced with. I’d rather know the worst case scenario than be given no scenario at all.”

Sajreth nodded in agreement to Draedyn's worries. It was true; the Guardian seemed scared and most likely withheld the information from the group to prevent a panic. Did she know who was behind this corruption from the very beginning? When the corruption itself began to take root in her? It was a really scary thought - who or what could be powerful and malevolent enough to turn a Guardian of light into a force of darkness?

He wondered if it was the infamous Betrayer, the creator of darkness and evil. Well, so far as he knew. Since Sajreth wasn't the most religious person, he wasn't quite familiar with the lore behind it. The only things he had heard about were chants and verses from priests and clerics. From what he currently knew, and he may have been wrong about this, but the Betrayer was killed off - or sealed away - or something like that, a long time ago by the Creator and His forces. Perhaps his remnants still lingered on, as many people would believe that Sajreth's tainted powers originated from the Betrayer itself. Not only that, maybe this dark entity was finally making its return and bringing vengeance upon the world.

Who knew? Maybe the elf was completely wrong, and this darkness was new - and maybe even worse than the Betrayer. Sajreth could only hope that the group would hear about the suspicions of the Guardians before it was too late.

Sajreth also sighed from his troubling thoughts. "I agree; hopefully the Guardians will tell us soon after they finish with their discussion or reunion," he stated, his eyes wandering back to the hard-working farmers. "If we truly are the Creator's Chosen Ones... then it is our job to protect people like them," he said quietly, his thoughts being brought back to the prisoners he once freed. "And we need everything at our disposal to do that."

Draedyn turned her eyes on Sajreth, a hint of a smile curling the corner of her mouth. “You seem…different,” she commented lightly, head cocked ever so slightly in curiosity. “Talking about being one of the Chosen and protecting the helpless…If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you planned on staying.”

There certainly seemed to be a shift in Sajreth’s outlook. Where once he seemed consumed by doubts and fears over what he could inflict upon his fellows, now it appeared that he was looking forward, wanting to do what he could to protect and aid those who did not know the troubles that lay on the horizon. Regardless, her statement sounded more like a question as she regarded the elf, uncertainty coloring her tone. Though he had apologized for leaving before, he had not stated his intentions for the present. Draedyn braced herself for disappointment, but could not keep the glimmer of hope out of her eyes.

Yet, even if he said that he would stay, could she trust him? He had said the same before, and she had woken up alone. She was growing attached to a man that might leave on a whim, opening her heart to someone that could so easily crush it. Never had she been careless in matters of the heart; why did this strange elf hold such sway over her, threatening to undo the years of carefully placed walls she had situated around it? It was a terrifying thought.

Sajreth was actually quite startled when Draedyn commented that he was different. It was something that he was personally working on after the many countless and tragic ordeals he had to deal with, but hearing it from someone else was quite reassuring. He held another small smile on his face, his chiseled features softening under her gaze.

"Perhaps I am," he softly stated before glancing away from her once more, looking up towards the open sky. Never before did he think he would ever find the room in his heart to love another person, the same way he had loved her. However... this Draedyn... there was something special about her. She was alluring, kind, strong and independent, and even seductive at some points. He broke her heart - and his own for that matter - and yet here they were, nearly being brought back to that one point where their passion took over.

Perhaps it was time to finally make a decision. A permanent one. Whether or not he chose to leave or to stay.

"Drae, I need to show you something, real quick," he said to her quietly without glancing at the young woman; it was as if he was unsure of himself.

He tensed his body briefly before he pushed himself away from the tree branch, and elegantly landed on the ground with his elven graces. He waited there, looking up at Drae to see whether or not she would follow him. The faintest hint of a smile was upon his face.

Draedyn raised a questioning eyebrow, watching his descent. His words and tone gave nothing away, leaving her in a meddlesome state of uncertainty. She remained briefly on the branch, looking down at him as he stared up at her, trying to read something--anything--in his eyes, but they were a mystery. She took a deep breath, silent but calming, preparing herself for whatever news was to come, expecting and bracing for his declaration that he would be leaving again while her heart hoped despite her mind’s warnings that he would stay. After all, she had been hurt before, many years ago, and knew that she was strong enough to endure it and move on. If that was how things were meant to be, it was better to break away now before they ever began.

With that in mind, Draedyn steeled herself and slipped off the branch, dropping to the ground beside Sajreth. She dusted herself off and then simply looked at him askance, head still cocked in curiosity. She remained silent, not trusting herself to speak, afraid of what she might hear in her own voice.

Draedyn landed beside him, seeming completely unsure of what he was about to say. To be honest, Sajreth was even unsure himself of what was bound to happen next. However, he managed to find the courage, and raised up a hand to cup the side of Draedyn's face. He took a step forward, drawing into her personal space as his fingers lightly grazed against her cheek.

"Drae..." Sajreth began softly, his eyes staring deeply into her ocean-blue orbs. He sighed lightly, but it was more of a sigh of relief as his hint of a smile widened. "I have been running away from too many things in my life, believing I never deserved such graces. The first time I ran from you...shame on me," he whispered, his lips inching closer to her own as his head leaned down slightly.

"I cannot lie to myself anymore. I care about you...I care about you so much that my heart hurts whenever I'm not near you. So this is what I wanted to show you, my final decision." His lips gently grazed across her cheek and whispered into her ear, the atmosphere between them electrifying with tension. "You have shown me that some things are worth saving," he said quietly, his breath tickling her ear. He referenced his comment towards a lot of things, but mainly to himself because he had always thought he could never be redeemed. And yet, Drae had never believed that he deserved anything less than that.

"And for that, I will stay with you."

He knew that actions spoke louder than words, and to prove how his heart felt, he pulled his face back slightly. With the most confidence he ever felt his entire life, Sajreth roughly pressed his lips against Draedyn’s for a very passionate kiss. His hand ran across to the back of her head, wrapping around her short locks as his other hand grabbed her waist, as if attempting to pull her closer to him as their passion renewed for the first time in what seemed to be a long time.

Draedyn’s heart thundered in her chest as Sajreth spoke, as his hand brushed her hair and his breath caressed her skin. His words held promise, sounded sincere, made her protective walls crash down around her and burrowed so deeply into her soul that it scared her. She was terrified of this, of them, of the longing she felt for this strange elf with a mysterious past whom she barely knew. She believed in him, in the goodness of his heart despite the terrible burden he carried, believed that he could be saved from himself and his inner demons, but entrusting herself to him so completely was a different matter entirely. Did she truly dare?

Her answer came easily enough. When his lips met hers, she melted into him, opening herself up to whatever may come, be it tragedy or fortune. It was reckless, and it felt good. It felt right.

Rymnalynne and her fellow Guardians stood in a place nearly as ancient as they, a sacred meeting ground, a peaceful and majestic glade untouched by mortal feet. It was hidden within the skeleton of a mountain, illuminated by fading sunlight pouring in from the open mouth far above. Streams ran throughout the glade, fresh water that nurtured the many tall trees and shrubbery. It was a haven for wildlife, where predator and prey alike rested without fear, as well as a sanctuary for the Guardians, serving as a place of meditation and occasional fellowship.

The latter was their purpose that evening, but despite the beauty surrounding them, their hearts were troubled and the mood was grim. All were gathered but one, and so little had been said, but the tension exuding from Tressa was palpable, even to Dessos, whose mighty presence was known and felt only through the waters of the spring that flowed in their midst. Only he never ventured bodily to the glade; he never left the ocean, so great was his size. Were he to venture onto land mortal eyes could not fail to see him, and as he was a terrifying behemoth to behold, he stayed hidden away in the depths of his watery home.

“We have waited long for your twin, Rymnalynne,” the Guardian of the Deep spoke through the spring, the waters vibrating at the tremendous bass of his voice. “Mavellynne is not known for being late.”

Rymnalynne nodded her head once in acknowledgment, visage soured with concern. “She has been seeking for clues, as we all have,” she replied. “Perhaps she has discovered something of value, and is momentarily preoccupied.”

“Nevertheless,” Tressa responded impatiently, wings flaring in agitation, “she needs to hear what I have to say. There is little of more importance, and time is a luxury we do not possess.”

Rymnalynne nodded again, but appeared distracted, her brow furrowing as she peered around the glade.

“What is it?” Tervyneern asked, noticing her peculiar and troubled expression.

“Listen,” came her short reply. The Guardians fell silent and did as they were asked. All was quiet in the glade--eerily quiet. The songs of birds and crickets, croaking of toads and patter of bestial feet had ceased. Rymnalynne, deeply attuned to wildlife, was suddenly overwhelmed by their fear.

And before long, that fear escalated into terror.

Birds released piercing shrieks of panic and took flight all across the glade, creating a chaotic swarm of feathers as they sought escape. Wolves began hair-raising howls of dread that reverberated through the mountain walls, a deafening chorus. Deer and rabbits and creatures of all shape and size bolted, the whites of their eyes clearly visible in their fright. Even the toads leapt from their lily pads to vanish into the dark waters.

The Guardians looked to the caretaker of the wild, radiating puzzlement and concern, but Rymnalynne paid them no heed. Her gaze was turned elsewhere, and her eyes, blazing gold, were wide with dread.

Draedyn pulled her face away from Sajreth suddenly, her skin breaking out into gooseflesh, her expression oddly troubled.

“Do you…feel that?” she asked quietly, uncertain how to describe the strange sense of foreboding that had abruptly come over her. She peered around cautiously, not knowing what she was looking for but certain that something was not right. Then something scurried across her feet, making her jump.

“Son of a--”

It was a rat.

Draedyn shivered, clinging to her elven companion a little more closely. She hated rats.

Following it haughtily with her eyes in the dying light, she suddenly realized there wasn’t just one. Here and there, ducking out from houses and burrows left and right, were the little vermin. The huntress watched the spectacle in disbelief. Dozens of rodents appeared in the streets, leading to several squeals of fright from men and women alike in the village. And oddly, the rats all turned tail and fled--in the same direction.

“What in the Creator’s name is going on?” she murmured, disturbed by the spectacle.

Then all at once, every dog in the village began barking and yowling as though they had gone mad, causing Draedyn to jump once more. The sound was horrid, deafening. Those that were tethered strained against their bonds in a desperate attempt to break free, some even dropping to the ground with tether in teeth to do death rolls like an alligator. Those that were free either took off along with the rats, ignoring the calls of their owners, or ducked under shelters with their tails flat against their bellies, barking and whining. It made Draedyn’s skin crawl.

Then another sound reached her ears--cawing. Looking to the sky, her eyes widened: a massive, dark cloud was approaching impossibly fast. As it neared, she realized it was not a cloud at all, but a squawking mass of birds, from finches to eagles, all fleeing in the same direction as their grounded counterparts.

Draedyn held onto Sajreth as the flurry of feathers passed overhead, her heart threatening to beat its way out of her chest.

Both Draedyn and Sajreth had the same inexplicable feeling that something appalling had happened. She broke away from his kiss first, but Sajreth's skin became cold like ice. There was something unnatural in the air - almost forbidden - and Sajreth only nodded quietly when Draedyn asked whether or not he was experiencing the same feeling. The young woman suddenly jumped from fright; Sajreth's heart thundered in his chest when he thought that she was hurt. He glanced quickly down to the ground, now noticing the rodent scurrying around the area. However, not just one rodent, as soon the whole area was plagued by a flood of the vermin. These pesky little creatures were running, frightened out in their own homes and running towards a single direction.

There was no rational explanation as to why this would happen. He was completely baffled, and despite Draedyn clinging tightly to his body, he couldn't offer her any comfort to this bizarre situation. The sudden cacophony of dogs barking made Sajreth's skin crawl with fear - the fear of the unknown. Either something dangerous was coming, or something horrible had happened to cause the animals of nature to react in such a manner.

Then there were the birds. Sajreth nearly mistook the large flock of birds to be a dark cloud covering their land in darkness, but the animals were simply fleeing towards the same direction where both the dogs and rodents retreated. Sajreth's grip on Draedyn tightened slightly, along with the chiseled muscles of his face. His facial expression was extremely concerned, and there was nothing he could do.

"What... what in the Creator's name is happening?"

The ground rumbled. It was a murmur, a mere whisper, barely even felt beneath the feet, but it was disturbing. Draedyn’s brow furrowed.

“An earthquake?” she wondered aloud.

Then the earth heaved, leaving the couple suspended in the air briefly as the grass fell away, only to come crashing back up--or perhaps they came crashing down--into their feet, knocking them to their knees. The sound of splintering wood reached their ears even above the terrified baying of maddened canines as several of Deshire’s structures shuddered and cracked from the force of the quake. The fearful residents of the town spilled out of doorways in droves, murmuring amongst themselves while trying to calm frightened dogs and crying children.

Just as Draedyn was getting to her feet, the ground lurched again, far more violently. She hit the dirt hard, grunting. Screams sounded around them as the less sturdy buildings shattered under the onslaught, foundations crumbling and roofs caving in. Draedyn remained on her hands and knees, riding out the waves, icy eyes wide in trepidation as each round of tremors grew in intensity. Her rational mind tried to convince her that this was just a natural, freak occurrence. The last earthquake she had ever heard of in the entirety of Deisidus was over two centuries ago, but that simply made them exceedingly rare, not unheard of. Still, rationality had no place here, and she knew deep inside that this was nothing natural, not at all.

Again the earth churned, bringing down more buildings. Those that had already been compromised gave in to the turmoil and crumpled to the very last wall. Homes were destroyed, businesses torn apart by the angry throes as the earth rolled and ruptured. People began to flee, carrying shrieking babes and dragging along their tearful children, but each ripple brought one after the other crashing to the dirt.

Then an earsplitting crack overwhelmed all else, a sharp report that had many stopping in their tracks with paralyzing dread. It was the sound of countless tons of rock rupturing, followed by the groan of distress as it was gradually forced apart. Draedyn felt it beneath her hands and feet, crackling and splitting deep below the surface, the land seeming to moan with pain and effort as it convulsed. Then the crust of the earth began to split right below them, a crack spanning farther than the eye could see winding its way through the town and beyond, and like the mouth of a titanic being it opened, a fissure that swallowed anything in its path and sent it to the fiery depths.

“Sajreth!” Draedyn cried as the ground tore apart between them, threatening to swallow them whole. She leapt for the elf with all her strength, tackling him and landing them safely beyond the fissure’s widening maw. But elsewhere in the town, others were not so fortunate, and their screams as they fell into the rocky abyss would later echo in the huntress’s dreams.

“What in the Creator’s name is going on?” Tervyneern bellowed through the turmoil in the glade, tensed as though prepared to pounce. Rymnalynne, panting heavily as she fought against the maddening fear of her charges, stared at the metal Guardian with horror, eyes wide. When she spoke, her voice was broken. She uttered a single word:

Mavellynne.”

And as if in response, the land trembled.

Deisidus shattered.
    Set by the masterful Karma

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 434445