Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anime/Manga Pet Peeves

The Pure One
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Anime/Manga Pet Peeves

Now we all love anime and we all love manga, okay I can't actually know that but I'm assuming you're cool like me.

Is there anything that pisses you off, no matter how small or big that gets to you?

Here's a personal fav thing I hate about manga specifically:

Manga lovers don't always read the same manga!
    Now this may seem like a pet peeve. But think about it. We all know superman, we all know batman.
    We all know the big TV shows and comics because we generally have a time period where we've jumped and read about. All of you have watched Game of thrones! ALL of you have watched Breaking bad, heroes, Jericho etc and the one pattern is that if you've not seen it then you have heard of it.
    But oh no! Not with manga. Have you ever spend twenty minutes with other manga enthusiasts rattling out Japanese name after Japanese name like you're looking for a fucking safe code!

Oh manga Fan??

Manga guy 1
    Have you read Haji no ippo?

Manga guy 2
    No...
    Have you read Garaman?

Manga guy 1
    No...
    What about After school Military Activities?

Manga Guy 2
    No...
    Fairy Tail?

Manga Guy 1
    No...
    One Piece?

Manga Guy 2
    No...
    Naruto?

Manga Guy 1
    Yes!

Manga Guy 2
    OMG I was worried there.
    Rememeber the Scene when....blah blah blah happens?

Manga Guy 1
    Wait that doesn't happen in the manga does it?

Manga Guy 2
    Oh must have been the anime.

Manga Guy 1
    ......Screw you you liar!!

Manga Guy 2
    ...Fraud!

Manga Guy 1
    I hope you die!

Manga Guy 2
    I hope you get an Piano covered in malaria and you die, only from the malaria!

....umm....what are your pet peeves?

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Horror
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

One thing about anime/manga that sometimes really irks me is people who only read manga or watch anime for solely the art style. They refuse to consider anything that doesn't suit their tastes, which is unfortunate because there are so many good series out there that are rather stylized and may not be considered as well-drawn by some people.

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly."
    Check out my art thread here! | My Tumblr

Modern and Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When someone won't give a series a chance. I guess that kinda goes along with art style like Echo was commenting about. My friend refuses to watch anything "girly." I've wanted her to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Puella Magi Madoka Magica for awhile now. Both are amazing, but I am afraid she doesn't watch them because of the art style (and the fact magical girls are involved) or the fact one is heavily set in high school. I keep explaining to her that Puella Magi Madoka Magica isn't all rainbows and unicorns. It gets really dark. Yet has she watched it? At least watch a few episodes and if you don't like it, don't bother.

Just Your Average Anomaly
    I'm up for just about anything except for most sci-fi and anything sexually mature.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

When people watch an anime and all they do is complain about it. I mean, if you don't like it, then why the heck wouldn't you just stop watching it? At least then there would be less bad company.
    Spoiler: Links 
    Spoiler: RPG Role 

Wanderlust
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I've tried to stay away from manga because I'm a giant reader and I know that if I start I'll never start but I do have some pet peeves when it comes to anime

Anyone who says dubbed is better than subbed..man just...no. Leave and never come back.

And certain types of filler.

Little bit of filler is okay you can't have all story all the time I get that,

But once it starts turning into convoluted bullshit that's when I get annoyed.
    Made by Karmz <3
    Spoiler: Muffins inside 

Just Your Average Anomaly
    I'm up for just about anything except for most sci-fi and anything sexually mature.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

All of that is so true.

And oh! What about the people who only watch anime for fanservice? Or "hot guys"? Or the pairings? Or those who think that their favorite character is completely flawless and refuse to accept any problems with that character?
    Now that I think about it, I can go on and on about my peeves...
    Spoiler: Links 
    Spoiler: RPG Role 

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Alright, let me see if I can find one... Okay, I found a lot, but I'll pick one.

People who talk about a pairing as the center of the entire show. I mean, yeah, it's fun to think about, but not everything in the anime has to do with X getting with Y. That is not how it works. And then worse yet, they come up with some convoluted explanation about how event Z led character Y to X, so the pairing is confirmed. THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS! And because I know that, I will laugh when character Y ends up with character E because of event Z.
    What's up, peeps?
    Don't mind the odd Avi, just something old I liked.

Want to RP with me? Ask! I'm open to any kind of 1x1's at the moment.

Spoiler: What I Do/Don't Like 

My most opportune days will be Saturdays and Sundays,
    just FYI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One for me is rushed ending

I've watched too many anime with rushed endings or just leave the viewer even more confused and with more question then they originally had. I watch anime for the art style and story. It seems like I keep finding anime that have such a good concept and then that gets ruined by the ending. Anime like this are Mekakucity Actors, Pandora Hearts, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian, Gosick, Dozen Maiden, etc. I like all these anime for what they were until the end. (Sorry if it seems like I'm about to pick on Mekakucity Actors but I do love that anime.) So with Mekakucity Actors I had a huge problem with the end and also SPOILERS. So from the beginning of this episode I could tell it was rushed. I didn't like how Konoha was shoe horned in so they could rush the reveal of Dark Konoha. Along with they never explained how End was able to transfer to her old body. One thing that I wished the anime would of explained was Shintaro's eye power since that was important to the plot. They should of also elaborated on the wish that made Dark Konoha disappear (since at that point I was an anime only watcher). Due to the that reason and the rushed ending I was confused on some parts of the ending.

Sig by Me
    Spoiler: Gangsta Op 

Anything except slice of life and 18+ roleplays.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can all hate me after I say this. I don't care.

I hate fights and arcs that take longer than they should. Like that fight with the puppet guy in Naruto Shippuden that took freaking forever and the Water 7/CP-9 arc in One Piece

I'm also not a big fan of Mary Sue characters or special snowflakes or, the worst of all, "My backstory is sad so I am an annoying crybaby whose only redeeming quality is my friendship with the main-character" characters.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I agree with you there Broby. Unfortunately, some fights that take a long time like that require as much time to get the good aspects of the fight in it.

I especially agree with your second point. I've seen too many a good anime character ruined by a backstory that is sad, or a character like Broly in DBZ movies. He was all powerful, wrecked everyone, was absolutely perfect, and was supposedly the ultimate saiyan. Give me a break...

@Vincent: Yeah, those are a big turn off for me too, along with generic or cheesy ones. Your fans will love it more if they had to wait for a great, unique ending than if they were quickly provided a rushed ending. It's one of the things I like about Naruto and Shippuuden. They go back, they explain what's going on most of the time. They explain important things thoroughly, at least from what I've seen.
    Last edited by MashuNeko; 07-06-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    What's up, peeps?
    Don't mind the odd Avi, just something old I liked.

Want to RP with me? Ask! I'm open to any kind of 1x1's at the moment.

Spoiler: What I Do/Don't Like 

My most opportune days will be Saturdays and Sundays,
    just FYI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast