Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

Okay, so, to prepare for next month's Dragon Age: Inquisition, EA giving away free copies of DA: Origins for free.

If you have an Origin account claim your copy now. Read more here:

https://kotaku.com/dragon-age-origins...ium=Socialflow

Queen of the Seas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been excited since the announcement of DA: Inquisition

I have it on pre-order and I'm currently replaying DA2

thanks hayabusa!
    lol bringing the dragon eggs back:

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    fantasy is my fav, but i love any type of roleplays ^^
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love the two first games, though the first more then second, also have Inquisition pre-order, gaah cant waait sadly i get the game like right before my exam time :(

Avatar and signature made by Fleija_Croze

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

Might want to check this:

https://dragonagekeep.com/

Looks like they are going by "Key save points" rather than transforming the actual saves.

I just built mine It's epic.

fantasy is my fav, but i love any type of roleplays ^^
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oooh thanks that was awesome, i made one to

Avatar and signature made by Fleija_Croze

Prince of the Wasteland
    Your mom.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay. So. I got to playtest this at PAX Australia and ho

ly

shit.

Okay. Here's my full review of it, cus I got to play it for 30 minutes.

I have never honestly liked the Dragon Age games. For me, Bioware was always KOTOR and Mass Effect, and to a hardened fantasy enthusiast and D&D veteran such as myself, Dragon Age just felt like... fantasy lite. Tolkeinesque without really building up the world or getting much depth. Sure, there's fabricated depth, as in the amount of history that's gone into the world, but I never cared about the characters as much.

Origins was nice. Quaint, even. It's world felt kinda expansive, and it was "open-world" in the Fable sense of the word, insofar as that you could choose where to go, but romping through unscripted wilderness was something not on the table quite. I stopped about halfway through when it came out, and picked it up some years later and gave it a proper go, but it never captured my heart. To me, it was always D&D for beginners, a fantasy realm for the uninitiated to teethe upon.

Dragon Age 2 I actually quite liked, save for those godforsaken camera angles. The story was much more linear and driving, and took away some of the clunkiness the first game was dealing with. Bioware has never been particularly on top of truly open world experiences, so I was alright with the direction to take it away from that. DA2 has it's issues, but overall, I liked it, and I liked the story method that they told it in. Neat little game, but it still felt not engaging to me.

I can officially say, as someone who has not been a fan of this video game franchise, that I am now emboldened to play this and desperately want to buy Dragon Age: Inquisition. One of the first things we were told when we entered the playtest room was that the area we were going to be exploring was 10 times the size of Dragon Age: Origins entire map, and that it also was just 1 of 10 such areas in Inquisition that you can explore.

And they are true to that. This game is open world. It does not have the same scope of Skyrim. You can't climb mountains on horses or any of that bs, but all terrain is basically accessible via some means and it keeps with the feeling of the landscape other DA games have hinted at. I have always argued that Mass Effect 2 was the closest Bioware ever got with a truly open world environment.

This beats it. Bar none. It is expansive as shit, and during my demo, I didn't even cover a third of the places I could have gone and I was fine with that.

I started out in a camp. One of the big things in Inquisition is that the way you rest up and simultaneously expand your influence over the changing landscape of the mage/Templar war is to make such camps. In your camp you can choose which potions to take along, which party members will come with, requisition supplies, other such things. And once you head out, you're in the wilderness. I had two waypoint quests between me and the main quest: gather iron ore, and gather cage keys. Keys were gotten in random encounters with warring mages and Templars, and the iron was actually mined out of the landscape itself. And you can do this with other roots and the like, a la Assassin's Creed 3. It's nifty.

So I made my way down the side of the mountain I was camped on, and actually found a secret path that led me to a treasure chest. Got some cool armor, went back up, and found another route. I found a mill that had an ominous note in it, and that activated another sidequest I could look into. Seeing where all of these little quests are is done on the main map. The map itself has a fog of war effect that's cleared up either by exploring or settling new campsites, and puts waypoints where certain quests are. There's also a fast travel system, and that was quite nifty.

The main quest of the demo was revolving around some nun healing people, a mage who was doing good or some shit. Honestly, I didn't really care cus I have never been invested in the mythos, but I now want to be. The cutscenes were quite well done, and the dialogue options are more natural than they were in ME3. And that's about as high praise as I can give that feature.

The combat is a bit button mashy. Again, I'm not as versed in system as I should be, but I enjoyed it. The Inquisitor wails with a heavy blade I had him attached to. Some elf mage was in my party who was quite good at buffing as all at Battle's start. Cassandra and I went in to lead the charge every time, and Varric covered the group. Switching between companions is done by way of either pressing up or down on the d-pad, and it was quite organic. I enjoyed playing as Varric for a bit, but ultimately settled on the Inquisitor. He had this move that if you strike downwards, it sticks everyone in the ground for a bit where you can just wail on them. That was always satisfying. The attack options are scripted to your X-Y-B-A buttons, and have recharge times depending on what they are. Right Trigger was simple attack. Combat flowed well.

Eventually, I came upon the mages and Templars warring it our properly next to a big keep. I slaughtered both sides, all the while with my character yelling that it didn't have to be this way, and my companions saying yeah, it probably did. So that was fun. You can sort of choose your engagements in these situations, but ultimately I think it doesn't particularly matter which side you attack. I could be wrong. Found some scroll, and then I looked at the map closer.

There's Fade rifts now, apparently, and I decided to take it upon myself to close 2 of them for a quest in my last fifteen minutes of playing. That, by far, was the funnest part for me. The creatures that hop out of the Fade are insane, as you would expect, and have different attacks and approaches you need. They often pop around the area, teleporting in and out of close and far range combat, so that was a nice thrill and change of pace. When you defeat all Fade creatures, you stand by the Rift and press A, and you Inquisitor closes it with some green magicky power.

I have no clue what it all means, but it was one of the funnest experiences I've had in a game in a while, especially of the RPG variety. That small playthrough made me want to go back and understand all that was happening, and its easily a humongous world to try and comprehend. I think they're finally hitting their stride: they have the world built up, and now shit is happening. A lot of the sidequests involve helping one side or another, and building up stability in a region. It isn't like the Imperial/Stormcloak war in Skyrim; it's what I wanted it to be. I asked some of the devs, and they said the skirmishes between mages and Templars is much more organic, and you will be able to shape very deeply the way of the war and rebellions going on.

That excites me. This game excites me, and I'll be spending the next month playing through both the prior games so that I can get a proper understanding of this one when it comes out.

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Lots of things, but especially anything with princesses. :3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

that is all.
    'The Crown of Zivia' Word Count: 64319
    'The Crusade of Zulera' Word Count: 52548
    'The Shadows of Shinzoka' Word Count: 51000
    'The Rebirth of Krippa' Word Count: 51000
    'The Seer of Koldia' Word Count: 49114

The Avatar in Chains (fanfic)
    Z. Zu. Zul. Zuzu. Zuly. Zulera. Lulu. 301. Zu-Zu. ZZ-Top. Zuliette. Zuley. Zulz. Zuul. Zubat. 'Lera. Zulianne. Z301. Z-hizzle. Z-dawg. Zulerey. Zully. Zulio. Luz. Ra-ra. Z-swiss. Zulera301.

Senpai
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

This game. I want.

Spend over 100 hours, I will.

Mature, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Day 4 of playing Dragon Age Inquisition.

Already have 3 characters. Only clocked 36 hours. Disappointed in myself.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

I have two characters, a human mage and an elf warrior

- - - Updated - - -

elf amazon, I should say

Spoiler: Things I like 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast