Page 304 of 355 FirstFirst ... 254302303304305306354 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 3545

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

The Art Vandal

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Decent grammar. Limited cringe. That’s all.
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yeah. The Irish do not enjoy looking back on the time of The Troubles, either. That much is for sure.

art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

- banksy

historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
    Oh, interesting. :3

I wouldn’t know a whole lot about orthodox Christian religions, but I have been in a few of the churches while traveling in Greece, and went and sat in there while people prayed. Those are likely different sects, though?

And tease away xD

Irish talk shit about Catholics AND Protestants more than anyone I know (as they poke fun at about everything and everyone). Because when I say ‘Catholic family’, I use the word very loosely. Very few here are actually practicing, and they actually are more likely to openly spurn Catholicism entirely. The Catholic Church in Ireland is dying a quick death. It’s more so their families are *historically* Catholic than currently practicing ones.
    If it's Greece then it's definitely Eastern Orthodox. We don't really have sects because even things like "Russian Orthodox", "Greek Orthodox", etc. are all the same faith, just slightly different local/cultural practices. I'm Ukrainian Orthodox myself which means my own practices are more in line with the Russian ones, but we share better relations with the Greek church right now than we do the Russian church. That's a bunch of super ugly political stuff I'd rather not get into right now.

Yes, I have heard things about the Irish Catholic church and about how few people even trust it any more. I'm guessing because of the sex abuse scandals and stuff. It's sad really since we're supposed to go to church for God rather than people, but of course people being the flawed things that we are mess it up for everybody. (We've had our share of scandals too, they're just not as widely publicized.)

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

That’s really interesting. The Greek Orthodox Church I went into was in Mytilene. It was very beautiful, architecturally.

And yeah, that’s definitely part of it (sexual abuse scandals). But the list is honestly endless about how the Catholic Church has hurt and failed the Irish people. (I took an Irish history course in Oregon when I was eighteen, so actually know a loooot about it.)

As I said before, the church is dying a quick death here. The new generation rejects it. Once the current elderly generation passes, so does the influence of the Church is in this country.

In Spain and Italy, it is still very strong, though. The same as Latin America.
    Last edited by Leanna; 03-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.

- banksy

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

That’s really interesting. The Greek Orthodox Church I went into was in Mytilene. It was very beautiful, architecturally.

And yeah, that’s definitely part of it (sexual abuse scandals). But the list is honestly endless about how the Catholic Church has hurt and failed the Irish people. (I took an Irish history course in Oregon when I was eighteen, so actually know a loooot about it.)

As I said before, the church is dying a quick death here. The new generation rejects it. Once the current elderly generation passes, so does the influence of the Church is in this country.

In Spain and Italy, it is still very strong, though. The same as Latin America.
    In Eastern Europe trends are very different. The older generations are the less religious ones, but I think that's because under communism religion was repressed. Like, basically all the most religious countries in Europe are all in Eastern Europe. Poland and Romania are near the top.

Vikings make me all tingly inside
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I think religion and the history of theology is fascinating, especially how beliefs shaped cultures and countries. I think a lot of it, mixed with egos, and low intelligence becomes harmful. And its sad the the majority of the worlds religions agree on a theology but kill each other (all from religions that teach non violence, ironically) over how to worship.

But Im from the US so I smother in hypocrisy on a daily basis.

Personally, We're Brethren. Its a sect of anabaptist that is like the Amish and Mennonite communities, but less "old world". It teaches simplicity, disconnection from materialistic vanity, and peace and tolerance, with Jesus being the teacher of Peace and charity.
    I can get into the Amish and Mennonite if no one knows what that is. Though I would think everyone has seen the memes or at least heard the Weird Al song, "Amish Paradise"
    ~~~Um...No?~~~

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nope View Post
    I think religion and the history of theology is fascinating, especially how beliefs shaped cultures and countries. I think a lot of it, mixed with egos, and low intelligence becomes harmful. And its sad the the majority of the worlds religions agree on a theology but kill each other (all from religions that teach non violence, ironically) over how to worship.

But Im from the US so I smother in hypocrisy on a daily basis.

Personally, We're Brethren. Its a sect of anabaptist that is like the Amish and Mennonite communities, but less "old world". It teaches simplicity, disconnection from materialistic vanity, and peace and tolerance, with Jesus being the teacher of Peace and charity.
    I can get into the Amish and Mennonite if no one knows what that is. Though I would think everyone has seen the memes or at least heard the Weird Al song, "Amish Paradise"
    Yep, I'm aware of the Amish and Mennonites. We have some Mennonites around here actually. They really stand out because they have a distinctive way of dressing.

Vikings make me all tingly inside
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

cool.
    We dont dress like them, although some Brethren do, its supposed to embody modesty and ward against earthly vanity. But you can still be a non conformist in fashion, maintain modesty, and not be egotistical with materials without 'plain dress'. i will admit, plain dress makes it a lot easier to pick out an outfit. hehe
    ~~~Um...No?~~~

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nope View Post
    cool.
    We dont dress like them, although some Brethren do, its supposed to embody modesty and ward against earthly vanity. But you can still be a non conformist in fashion, maintain modesty, and not be egotistical with materials without 'plain dress'. i will admit, plain dress makes it a lot easier to pick out an outfit. hehe
    It really is ironic, heh.

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

There was an Amish community about an hour from where I grew up. I’ve never been there, but always been kinda curious about it. I keep telling myself I’m going to drive over there one day and take a look at their little shops. There is a sign on the highway that advertises that they sell wares of some sort.

I grew up in an evangelical area, heavily fundamental. I... wasn’t very good at it, and got shit for rejecting it once I became a teenager, but whatever. I did want I wanted and I don’t regret that, because I was just being true to myself. I probably wouldn’t be a very good brethren either. I like dressing up all fancaaaay x_x
    Last edited by Leanna; 03-17-2019 at 09:45 AM.

- banksy

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

There was an Amish community about an hour from where I grew up. I’ve never been there, but always been kinda curious about it. I keep telling myself I’m going to drive over there one day and take a look at their little shops. There is a sign on the highway that advertises that they sell wares of some sort.

I grew up in an evangelical area, heavily fundamental. I... wasn’t very good at it, and got shit for rejecting it once I became a teenager, but whatever. I did want I wanted and I don’t regret that, because I was just being true to myself. I probably wouldn’t be a very good brethren either. I like dressing up all fancaaaay x_x
    I'm not super materialist myself. Just give me an internet connection and some books and I'm happy, heh. I don't follow fashion trends at all. I'm just like "this is comfortable and modest, therefore I'm wearing it."

Page 304 of 355 FirstFirst ... 254302303304305306354 ... LastLast