Thread: Atrum's Character Data

Sanity's Eclipse
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Default Atrum's Character Data

So, I've been playing around with a 40k blog for a while and thought it might be fun to create a full catalog of my WH40k characters (even ones that have not been featured in games on RPA yet) as well as others I want to share/people want to know more about. Discovering this area of the forum fully sprouted the idea since it also lets me wax philosophic and poetic about these characters. So here we go!

I thought it best to start with one of my most used characters so far:

MECHANICUS ASSASSIN VIZERIOUSYL KOPOLLANZITRA

“For the preservation of the Mechanicum, my body and mind shall be as a sword.”

Better known as Vizkop and featured in: The Replicants and The Prophet in Silver

Vizkop is a good place to start because he exemplifies many things about how I approach the 40k setting, particularly the Mechanicus. Rather than approach it as the grimdark it is presented as, I come at the Mechanicus as a cyberpunk nightmare on the largest possible scale with the Cult as a necessary part of the control scheme. That is something I have tried to bring across with Vizkop by keeping his religion in the background of his character and focus on his nature as an assassin and breaking out of his shell as a solo operative to work within a team.

Vizkop is a character I have had a lot of fun fleshing out and finding new angles and depth to. A lot of thanks goes to Azazeal849 and the crew that gravitates toward his games. He has grown from a socially distant and secretive assassin into a man who has been able to find trust in a select few and had his faith cemented in place by his past. What surprised me was how Vizkop, who normally does not project his faith, found a trusting companion in a Sister of Battle who became privy to one of the deepest events of Vizkop's past that really shaped him as a person. He constantly skirts the edge of self-destructive disaster, particularly with his augmentations.

A lot of his struggles come from how he still has a full emotional range which allows him to feel and experience the fallout of suffering post traumatic stress as well as make real connections with those he works with. I hope to continue to explore new depths to Vizkop when the game Penitence gets underway.
    Hit me up on discord: Mags#3126
    I'm just easier to get a hold of there. Just lemme know who you are

Sanity's Eclipse
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I am going to try to add a new face to this thread at least once a week.

Sanity's Eclipse
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

MAGOS EXPLORATOR VOLTAIRE

“We proceed inexorably onward, as the Omnissiah wills.”

Voltaire is a character I find myself coming back to more and more lately as I deal with 40k related content. I have dealt almost exclusively with characters that are not ingrained into their faith, which is not the case with Voltaire. He was the first major religious character to come about among my roster of Mechanicus-aligned people. Initially, his faith was a conduit for his anger just as his body was a conduit for the electrical currents he used as a weapon. He began to form as an example of how using faith as a justification for violence can only lead to a dark end. For Voltaire, that end came with a side-order of fire.

His recovery was a huge turning point as he had felt the consequences of a life devoted to the Omnissiah only through violence. He changed from a man fueled by violence to a contemplative soul seeking new calling from his faith. So, Voltaire became the perfect vessel for a religious concept I've been wanting to tackle: the eternal pilgrim. His journey as an explorer has led him to several disillusioning moments. Because of that, what he has ended up as is a curious look at how a man keeps his faith even while knowing the faith itself is simply a means to an end. His continued belief in the Omnissiah is the want for something greater than what is merely observable in the universe. He has cast aside his organic form for the purity of machine. He does believe the universe can be comprehended and that the Quest for Knowledge can be completed, despite all the things that laugh in the face of such notions and being aware of how irrational that thinking is.

Voltaire will feature an appearance in the revival of my 40k RP “The Silent Forge.”

A bit of trivia: The initial concept for the character came from a short-lived Dark Heresy game where Voltaire was a ship's mechanic wrapped up in Inquisition shenanigans. But, the game did not go beyond the second session.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Silent Forge revival, you say...

I look forward to seeing him.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Sanity's Eclipse
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

So I'm digging this up again as an excuse to scream about more of my characters both fandom-based and original and this time I'll actually remember it exists. Right now though I'm going to yell about another one of my multitudes of Warhammer 40k characters.

Enjoy this look at Julius Nero

JULIUS NERO

"Don't tell me that's all you got. C'mon all I did was throw a building at you! Or can your daemonic sugar daddy not get it up properly, witch?"

Nero is an interesting character because he just started off as a simple and kinda petty idea. That idea being to write an Alpha Plus psyker purely because I felt like it. For a bit more context, at least at the time, I was surrounded by this notion that Alpha Plus psykers simply could not exist in any context other than deceased for any number of reasons. In fact I still now take quiet glee whenever the initial reaction to Nero is something akin to a vocal recoiling. I'm quite petty, like I said. But as with any idea I have that I stick with, I started thinking how I could make his existence as plausible as possible.

So that brought me to the starting point: a youth captured at just the right point before his extraordinary power could get out of hand perhaps through providence. This led his overall background to be full of a lot of unpleasant suffering as he was molded into a tool that could be properly used. He was sanctioned and trained as a battle psyker for the Inquisition but due to an error made by the Administratum he ended up serving in a front line unit of the Imperial Guard for several years before the Inquisition reclaimed him. It's amusing to think that Nero is a man who survived the front lines of the Imperial Guard for years but his first mission for the Inquisition saw him nearly crippled by an explosion resulting in the replacement of part of his spine and implants on his ribs and legs. Unfathomable pyschic power undone by not noticing the grenade nearby. But he has since served under two inquisitors one being Heironymous Dalk of the Ordo Heretics and the other Ermine Haldrane of the Ordo Malleus (I'll probably cover them both later), the latter of which he currently serves.

In the end the notation of Alpha Plus ultimately is an attempt to quantify something not wholly quantifiable so Nero ends up starkly alone. His peers on all sides are constantly wary of him and he barely gets treated like a human. The only exceptions are those who see the benefit of treating him like a person in order to make him more receptive, like the two Inquisitors he has served. Nero recognizes when this happens but still accepts it because it's better than nothing. Now at this point it is worth pointing out that when I said "unfathomable psychic power" earlier, I meant it. Nero has the potential power to rip open gaping holes in reality or bury cities under their own weight. I mention this because it is important to understand that he has a specially crafted limiter implanted in his body that vastly contains his potential power using methods the Ad Mech priest who built it declined to disclose. Inquisitor Haldrane has yet found exactly one instance which warranted the limiter being released and that was to allow Nero to fight and kill a young yet powerful witch being boosted by a daemon. But the limiter is just another way to show that Nero's relationship to most of the universe around him is constantly having his potential tested and boundaries attempted to be set. Boundaries he can break from at any moment should he need to.

Now Nero himself is a bit of an odd duck. At the very least the man lives with severe ADHD brought on by simply how he perceives the world around him. Amusingly this started because I thought it'd be cute if Nero was easily distracted by pretty much anything around him at any given time. But along with his attention problems comes his feelings of isolation despite being around other people so often. It is an isolation brought on because no one else can see or experience things in the vibrant way he does so he has no even ground on which to really engage with those few people who don't just brush him off as some sub-human freak or look at him with poor disguised fear. Yet he hides his deep insecurities behind a goofy smile and sense of humor along with an unshakably loyalty to the Imperium and an unbending will and spirit.

The good news is that through likely the same providence that brought the Black Ships to his homeworld years ago, Nero has found affection in a fellow Alpha Plus psyker named Selkie and finally has someone who can better understand him on a personal level.