Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reforged Saga - Prologue: Great Expectations [M]

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Higher than normal proficiency in using Kill is acceptable, provided that it works with what I have said.
    Spoiler: Around the Forum 

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern, Historical, SciFi, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll write up a CS.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King of Swords View Post
    I'll write up a CS.
    Good to hear.

Enchantress of Men
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spoiler: Name: Jade Koller 
    Last edited by Megilwen; 06-19-2015 at 04:37 AM.

PREACH FORGIVE ME PLEASE I BEG OF YOU!
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Working on a CS myself.

Few questions if you'll be kind enough to answer, they would definitely help with character creation :

1. So there are no actual guns, just the sharper biological weapons?

2. What level of technology are the conveniences? This I wasn't sure about because I'm assuming Shapers didn't make everything (things like entertainment or hygiene, medical etc)

3. Are there any open prejudices among the population that isn't Shaper related? (Race or something else?)

4. How many ethnic minorities exist after the shattering? Can we call them as we want? (I'm assuming an African wouldn't be called an African in this project)

5. How does this society deal with the disabled and handicapped?

6. Socially speaking, how do women and men relate to ea ch other? Equal footing or is there an advantage or place of power one has over the other?

7. What is the currency they use?

8. What type of criminal system do they use and what methods or punishment or rehabilitation do they use?

9. Are there any addictive drugs, natural or otherwise that people can get addicted to? If so, what are the social opinions of these drugs and how frequently abused are they?
    Last edited by Minkasha; 06-11-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    Thank you MayhemsCurse <3

Spoiler: Memorable Quotes 

Enchantress of Men
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are there a name for the crystals?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

@Minkasha
    Before I answer your questions, I would like to note that the game was very expansive, but also very focused on the Shapers. Certain matters were covered while others had very little depth. This is, of course, part of RPing in a set universe: you see the lackings and a GM will usually fill them in. So some of these answers are from the universe and will make perfect sense while others are things that I have to adjust for, as they are absent or otherwise only hinted at.

Factors that may be included in discussions include:
    1. Differences between Shapers/non-Shapers (AKA outsiders)/creations
    2. Location factors
    3. Before/after the Shattering, during the era of the Shaper Council/Thorin's Council, respectively

1. There are no guns, no. This is strictly fantasy in that sense. Ranged weapons in the game were limited to javelins, thorn batons, wands, crystals, and magic (spells). Of course, you can throw other things if it suits your character, though you probably won't be creating bows anytime soon.

There was a small faction in the first game (actually, they are relatively important) that may have used bows (twigs to cast other twigs), as they did have a ballista. The ballista isn't named as such and is only described as it belonged to a non-Shaper faction. The technology of the ballista itself was not recognizable to Shapers, as such things were simply not made or used by them.

2. Hygiene: Soap is common. Shaper facilities are generally kept clean, especially the laboratories, in order to avoid accidents during experiments or the spread of Shaping-related problems. Outsiders live in a very feudal-era hygiene world. Serviles may be used to clean public venues though. Establishments like shops may have to pay the Shapers for servile labor. Bear in mind that this game is starting in a swampland, so the hygiene level won't be outrageously high.

Medical: As was noted in the OP, medical aid comes in the form of either alchemy, provided either by Shapers or outsiders, or Healing Craft, provided by Shapers. Things like Germ Theory existed on a certain level, as Shapers were well aware of the threat of small organisms, but advanced technology that involves any kind of electricity is non-existent unless it is otherwise powered by crystals, which are used pretty exclusively by Shapers.

Entertainment: Shapers are generally consumed in their work, meaning that other entertainment doesn't hold their attention. Shaping is dangerous and not used for entertainment, interesting though it may be. However, some fyora are kept as pets. While servile labor helped free many outsiders to pursue their own interests, the Shapers never took the time to write down what they got up to. Things like games weren't Shapers' interest. However, there are always the carnal houses in Issei.

If you have any other specific "conveniences" categories I would be willing to answer them.

3. In a word, no. Pre-Shattering, there were people of different shades, but no obvious conflict. Post-Shattering may involve some rivalries between settlements (particularly Assence and Tarin), but most keep a lid on their prejudices under the watchful eye and none-too-tender mercies of the Council.

4. Yes and no. There aren't real minorities as ethnic differences might exist, but ethnic divisions between them do not. There is a great deal of ethnic mixing due to close proximity in the swamp, meaning that most of the settlements are ethnically homogenous in their diversity, so to speak. The main divisions that exist outside of the Shaper-outsider-creation paradigm are between settlements, as with Assence and Tarin. There are minor cultural differences between tribal traditions in the settlements, but nothing major.

5. A high degree of freedom from resource scarcity means that most outsider settlements will take care of the disabled and handicapped for the remainder of their lives. Shapers, on the other hand, will preserve the physically handicapped to retain their power and wisdom while mentally handicapped Shapers may be killed in order to ensure that their powers don't run amok.

It should be noted that physically disabled and handicapped are rare for both outsiders and Shapers. Alchemy and Healing Craft means that most physical ailments can be fixed and any illnesses that cannot are almost universally fatal. For Shapers, their craft usually means that any accidents in a lab are usually fatal.

6. Legally and socially, men and women are equal both for Shapers and outsiders and even creations (which pretty much just means serviles with respect to this matter). The only gendered division is that Guardians are usually male and Agents are usually female, though the Shapers will hardly bat an eye at a reversal of the two. In a sense, Shapers have their heads up in the clouds contemplating their experiments too much to care about gender issues and outsiders causing issues about gender or otherwise, is annoying and annoying a Shaper usually results in death.

7. Shapers use coins for currency. Though there is a premium on gold and silver and the like, coins are pretty much made from any metal with equal value regardless of what they are made of. Of course, the Shapers make sure that they are not made counterfit, though they don't pay much attention to money matters.

8. If you want to know what laws Shapers are specifically held to, check the OP. Other laws, to which both Shapers and outsiders are held, are pretty standard: don't kill, don't steal, etc. Laws are enforced by the Shapers, either through human guards or creation patrols, but almost universally by force. Agents usually concern themselves with direct violations of Shaper Laws and privileges (specifically the prohibition on outsiders Shaping), but may also serve as secret police against those who break more mundane laws. Punishments themselves usually include one of four things: a fine, imprisonment (in a cell or stockade), lashing, or death.

9. There will be an addictive substance of sorts revealed later on, but for now alcohol is the main drug, usually coming in the form of ale, beer, etc. Of course, once I get some of the other substances (mainly herbs) up on the list, players are free to have their characters smoke them and see what happens.

@Megilwen
    To which crystals are you referring? The weapon crystals?

PREACH FORGIVE ME PLEASE I BEG OF YOU!
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Thank you for answering my questions, but alas I have more!

1. Will the project take time over (in story) years? (Meaning, will we see characters age and mature?)

2. If there is little ethnic diversity and the characters mentioned are white (yes?) does that mean everyone is for the most part, white?
    Thank you MayhemsCurse <3

Spoiler: Memorable Quotes 

Enchantress of Men
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes the weapon crystals that are harvested in Yuushin.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minkasha View Post
    Thank you for answering my questions, but alas I have more!

1. Will the project take time over (in story) years? (Meaning, will we see characters age and mature?)

2. If there is little ethnic diversity and the characters mentioned are white (yes?) does that mean everyone is for the most part, white?
    1. Possibly, but unlikely. The adventure part of this RP was designed to be part survival, which means that most of it will be done day by day, with week timeskips at the most. However, that isn't to say that larger timeskips are not possible. I can think of a number of ways in which there can be longer time lapses, though those will probably be used between Acts.

2. Perhaps it was poorly explained, though admittedly this one is a bit far for this RP. Basically, most people will be a decent shade of tan to begin with. The color of a character's skin is more reflective of their vocation than their ethnic background. Lighter skins means more time indoors while darker skin means more time outdoors, that sort of thing. Ethnic physical structure will be mixed, meaning that players can make their characters' physical builds to their preference.

@Megilwen
    There are crystals which are thrown and wands which cast specific effects. They have no special names.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast