Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Avatar Without a Name (Nacht/Zul) [IC][M]

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Lots of things, but especially anything with princesses. :3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

'Avatar'... perhaps there was significance to the title after all. Maybe it was the title that, to humans, was equivalent to 'she who controls the elements', her title among spirits. She could at least understand that much. Different cultures sometimes had different names for the same thing. It almost made her feel silly that she had not figured this one out sooner, but it was what it was. She could not go back and change time, and even if she could, perhaps she wouldn't. Memories of her own childhood were hazy until around 4 or 5 when she was able to walk and talk and otherwise act fairly independently. The mysteries regarding where she came from, who she was, and who her parents were, were all perhaps mysteries for another time.

While some might have pushed the nomad away with accusations of being nosy and overly curious, Shui was more the opposite, inviting her to sate her curiosities in whatever ways Shui could use to answer. On the other hand, she did not know entirely what it was like for the world to be out of balance, having not yet experienced it, but the balance she felt was something that she had inadvertently kept during her travels, and she knew at least, that that was something she wished to valiantly preserve.

With an understanding nod, the sojourn in the spirit world came to an end, almost in a dazzling array of colored light, but sure enough, the feral woman was sitting exactly where Yolen had seen her last, her expression serving as something of a defiance to the rest of her appearance. Sure she was a bit dirty, and her posture could use a bit of work... and her fashion sense wasn't exactly sociable, nor was her hair exactly clean or neat, but the serene and focused expression held on her face in those final moments before she broke her trance could tell a lot about who she was on the inside.

"Di'n 'xactly learn much lingo m'self." she grunted. Her regular voice was a bit lower than the one from the spirit world, "Hope it ain'ta prob'm." Despite her crude and broken speech, Shui appeared to be exuding the same aura and personality that Yolen had encountered with her as a spirit. In truth, honesty was one of the avatar's strongest virtues. She had never needed a reason to lie, and so she always told the truth to the best of her ability or as far as she could understand it. But, she had also promised a demonstration, and so a demonstration she would give.

Standing up and taking a breath, she glanced around to double-check that her immediate surroundings were clear before speaking briefly.
    "Here... git." She made brushing, dismissive waving movements with her hand towards the airbender as if telling her to move back (well, either that or for her to beat it and scram, but considering the attitude she held and the conversation that they had had, that seemed rather unlikely), because she didn't want her accidentally in range. With nothing that she could potentially jeopardize, Shui spun rather elegantly before flipping onto her hand, kicking bursts of air from her feet. Following up from this, she kicked her feet, bringing tendrils of water from the nearby marsh, landing back right-side-up and then using her hands to direct the tendrils in a sweeping arc around and behind Yolen before returning the water to its home in the puddle. As she relinquished control of the water, her foot had risen, only to come back down and conjure up a slab of rock and mud, which she launched forwards, a few meters to Yolen's right, by aiming her fists forward. She finished this little demonstration by thrusting her hands out on either side of her, spewing flames from them and from her mouth before allowing them to dissipate as to not accidentally set anything on fire.

"Mm." Shui mumbled with a nod once she had finished, extending her hands and curling her fingers back and forth in inviting motions as if to imply that it was safe to approach the avatar again. After all--at this point there wasn't a shadow of a doubt that this wild woman was definitely the Avatar. A demonstration like that was pretty much impossible to deny. While she did not say anything, Shui hoped that her blunt and somewhat crudely-constructed words had not been a detriment to their meeting or (potential?) friendship. Learning the language more properly was definitely a practical thing to do, but given the way Shui liked to distance herself from people, it was a slow and difficult process for her. Hopefully the airbender would understand.
    'The Crown of Zivia' Word Count: 64319
    'The Crusade of Zulera' Word Count: 52548
    'The Shadows of Shinzoka' Word Count: 51000
    'The Rebirth of Krippa' Word Count: 51000
    'The Seer of Koldia' Word Count: 49114

The Avatar in Chains (fanfic)
    Z. Zu. Zul. Zuzu. Zuly. Zulera. Lulu. 301. Zu-Zu. ZZ-Top. Zuliette. Zuley. Zulz. Zuul. Zubat. 'Lera. Zulianne. Z301. Z-hizzle. Z-dawg. Zulerey. Zully. Zulio. Luz. Ra-ra. Z-swiss. Zulera301.

historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

In the physical Shui didn't appear much different. She still very much carried the same roughed up feral appearance that had so greatly intrigued Yolen in the first place. It indicated much truth to the uncertainly of her origins, leaving still many unanswered questions. What had her life been like previously? What had prompted her to pick up life in the wilds, completely unaware of her significance? Out of all people the Airbender had encountered on her travels this one was among the most fascinating. Avatar or not, there was simply so much that drew her in to want to know more. The woman's rough manner of speech only continued to give away so much.

"Not at all." Yolen indicated with a small nod. She was a patient woman so in reality she was not bothered by the Avatar's simple speech patterns. It was quite a contrast from what she had experienced in the Spirit World, but if there was anything the master knew by now it was that few things were ever as they seemed in that mystical place. It had a way of changing people, even if they didn't always realize it. This woman was clearly no exception and interestingly enough she was among those who didn't realize her unique abilities.

Shui's unique abilities became clearer than day as she proceeded to demonstrate. Yolen knew it was no illusion, noting the authenticity of the woman's movements and each of the elements produced. It was clear her airbending and presumingly the others needed some work, but that was a point that could be addressed later. Now, Yolen only stared on in awe as the woman flawlessly proved her point. There was no doubt about it. Shui was, in fact, the Avatar and Yolen was one of the first people to witness her return after having been thought lost for so many years. This produced a rare smile on the Airbender's face. "So it's true then. The cycle was not broken. The Avatar lives. This is potentially great news for the entire world."

"That Airbending was sloppy and could use some work, but I suppose one picks up things when survival depends on it." Yolen finally admitted, more grateful than ever she had dared to venture into the swamp. She hadn't been expecting to find anything besides further spiritual enlightenment, yet miraculously she had come out with so much more: the one person who was supposed to maintain balance in the world and that up until now had been thought lost by the entire world. This suddenly changed so much if the woman chose to reveal herself.

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Shui's story was rough, and a lot of it contained things she could not fully remember, but whatever the case, that story, as fractured and full of holes as it might have been, was what had defined her into the woman she was today; a wild, feral thing that could definitely use improvement on her elemental skills, but that was also powerful and intelligent enough in her own right to be respected. It was not even secretive, per se. Frankly, Shui wouldn't have minded telling people that she was the Avatar if A, she had known earlier what that meant, and B, if she found a practical reason to tell people. Perhaps she could be enlightened on the subject some time.

Despite her appearance and her ferocity in combat, Shui too was also a very patient woman. In truth, she had all the makings of a good Avatar: spirituality, patience, general friendliness, and control over her abilities. There was certainly potential there. What she lacked was the ability and know-how of delivery. Most people to her, very well could have had cooties or something. In fine, it was clear that she had some growth to do.

Yolen's observance of Shui's airbending was an accurate pointer, and it also could have applied to her other elements as well, including her native fire. She had only learned abilities that had uses either in combat or on a practical level, which, considering that she had never had any formal teachers, was rather impressive.
    "I learnt' whu'dI needed, 'n li'l more," she grunted with a shrug, "ain't never had'a teacher proper... bet that'd be nice." While her words might have sounded like sarcasm to the untrained ear, the expression on her face coupled with the gestures and posture the avatar was making showed that this was just a normal mannerism. Shui told things exactly how she saw them, and had little knowledge of rudeness or pleasantries. Of course, if Yolen felt that her remarks were rude, Shui was not overly stubborn, and would most likely listen to reason. Her words and behaviors in the spirit world were humble and genuine, and frankly, if she could have someone to teach her how to... well, how to be human... that would probably be for her utmost benefit down the road. In fact, she clarified this point a moment later.

"Uh mean..." she scratched her head a second, stumbling around for her words almost literally, consindering that she shifted her left foot and put more of her weight on it as she thought, "I def'nitely dunno it all. 'r even much about howda handle people. But..." She glanced at the airbender, her dark amber eyes meeting Yolen's. "But I wanna learn."
    That was all probably more than she had said at one time in years. she hoped that she would not be turned down, for she was basically offering her pride up on a platter in an intimate and sincere expression of humility. She knew that this woman knew much more than she did about many important things, and not only did she respect that, but she hoped to learn from it.

Z. Zu. Zul. Zuzu. Zuly. Zulera. Lulu. 301. Zu-Zu. ZZ-Top. Zuliette. Zuley. Zulz. Zuul. Zubat. 'Lera. Zulianne. Z301. Z-hizzle. Z-dawg. Zulerey. Zully. Zulio. Luz. Ra-ra. Z-swiss. Zulera301.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Patience was a trait Yolen liked to believe she possessed. Learning more about this mysterious woman she came to believe that in the future it would be potentially put to the test. This woman, the Avatar, knew so much but still so little. It made her a curiosity of sorts, a curiosity that Yolen found herself keeping close. Simply, there was much to be gained from learning about her and her ways, things about living in the wilds that not even the Airbending master herself knew. It was merely one more trait proving she had been deserving of the status bestowed upon her: she was willing to admit her flaws and work on correcting them. It all started with the discovery of the one person she had been certain the world would never see again. Fate had a funny presence in the physical world.

"Well certainly you're not incompetent at learning then, even though it's far from the smooth maneuvers of the masters." Yolen offered her compliments to Shui with a nod. Despite her appearance, it was obvious the woman did have a steady head on her shoulders and was capable of learning what she had to. However, it was far from being enough. The Avatar had to master each of the elements and Shui had not yet accomplished it. Yolen had faith she could, however. All she needed was some guidance. From proper teachers. She even wore an uncharacteristic small smirk at the prospect of having her first student, and having it be the Avatar, of all people.

"Wanting to learn is the first step, but if you intend to master the four elements we need to find you proper teachers; masters who have studied the arts for years." Yolen reminded Shui, insistent on not allowing the woman to get too ahead of herself. "As for people, I have travelled this world far and wide. I think by now I know a thing or two." She added with another swift nod. How she was supposed to teach this woman proper mannerisms she was not sure, but she knew it to be necessary if she ever allowed the young Avatar an audience with the world's masters. Patience was a virtue, one she happened to possess that she wasn't sure if other possessed. Airbending was all about patience, both physically and mentally, after all.

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Shui gave a low grunt akin to a chuckle. "I'd be dumb t'say I'z a master," she agreed, "but I'm down t'do whatever I needa become wun." She was a passionate woman, but overall was also very gentle, patient, and passive. That was one of the secrets to her spirituality actually. she would fight fiercely to defend herself, or something or someone that she cared about, but generally she tried to handle things civilly. Her weakness was her lack of subtlety and her personal inability to communicate clearly.

Fate had a funny way of choosing the Avatar though. Shui was definitely qualified to serve the world as a wise and competent Avatar, but on the other hand, circumstances had forced her to delay unlocking that potential. She did not dwell much on that aspect though--her past was in the past, and while she occasionally looked back at it to ensure she did not repeat her old mistake, most of the time her amber eyes were set on the present and the future. She always sought to improve herself, even if she didn't always improve in areas that she might have needed to. Her pragmatism was useful, but sometimes she overlooked things simply because she could not see a use for them.

"I wouldn't mind goin' round th'world with ya, if y'er offerin." Shui's eyebrows raised. While her speech was simple, her gestures told a lot about how she felt, and the idea was clearly one that was exciting for her. "'course, I reckon we could probably also visit th'spirit world a time or two. thoughts?" She could certainly have much deeper conversation that way, and it was clear that with the way the avatar was speaking to and acting around Yolen, that she had developed a quick but firm bond of trust with this nomad woman, and that was one that she hoped would last.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Shui's modesty was clear as she spoke of her abilities. It was a trait Yolen admired, living an ascetic lifestyle herself. It was surely key if one was going to survive while also unlocking their spiritual potential. Naturally, she was quite impressed that this woman, of all people, had seemingly done it so easy. Perhaps the Avatar truly was so greatly in tune with the spiritual world as was always spoken of in the legends and tales from around the world. It certainly kept Yolen's fascination high, having been fairly certain the Avatar was nothing more than just a memory.

Memories were certainly one thing, but right here in front of Yolen was no memory. It was the Avatar. In the flesh. Not only that, but an Avatar in need of guidance. The feral woman's own words were plenty of confirmation for the young Airbending master. "Training is certainly a start, but it's more than just the physical. I presume you have already figured that part out. I, for one, can confirm that Airbending is at its peak when one is at the apex of their spiritual development." She calmly confirmed, accepting that with fate having brought them together that she would likely have to serve as guidance to this woman. She wasn't immediately sure if she was up for the task, but she was prepared to take it on. Every master went through their own trials and what was just one more?

Yolen offered her own confirmation to the feral woman's demands with a small chuckle. She wasn't much in a position to refuse even if she wanted and she knew it. "I suppose I don't have much of a choice do I? You seem about as clueless about the outside world as I am about this swamp. We have much we could learn from each other." She declared, willingly taking on the woman as both a student and a companion. Gut instinct was quickly telling her it hadn't been the wrong decision. The woman, despite her origins, was unusually spiritually attuned. It was a rare trait that even Yolen felt she hadn't fully obtained. She liked to believe journeying helped with that, teaching her plenty about the world in the process.

((OO Sorry it took ages. I was just having a weird mental block for awhile when it came to writing.))

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

[OOC--it's fine. I apologize as well for my own delay. my writing muse is back thanks to NaNo, and so I should be able to reply much quicker from here on out.]

"So I've got p'tential then, uh?" Shui cocked her head towards Yolen once again. "guess that's the best place t'start." Shui's words were very blunt, due in part to her having basically learned speech through the spirit world and similar mediums. She preferred to get straight to the point and cut out 'pleasantries', which made her come off as ruthlessly blunt and straightforward. On the other hand, she at least had the decency to try and let people know of her shortcomings so that they knew she wasn't trying to push them away. No, when Shui pushed someone away, she either did it literally, or resorted to threats and then actual attack. These two things were rare, as she generally tried to be diplomatic. Of course, even interaction at all with people was extremely rare for her, and so these dealings may have been more hypothetical than anything.

Shui gave an awkward laugh, mostly due in part to her having not ever laughed much in her life. It was a quaint phenomenon, for it was certainly not that the avatar was unhappy; she simply lived contently. It was like hearing an Elder monk laugh. they were so calm and serious all the time that seeing their lips curl upward and the erratic exhaling patterns that come with laughing come from their mouths... it was just unusual was all. "You've always gotta choice, friend." she reassured her, "do whatcha will, but if y'er offerin'... I'd wanna join." She was strong, but did not want her new friend to feel like she was being coerced into anything. That was simply not Shui's way. Feral as she might have been, and dangerously powerful with the elements as her power might have hinted at, she was a pacifist at heart, perhaps a state of enlightenment she had discovered in the swamps.

However, it seemed that maybe Yolen's remark had been in jest, or had gone right over Shui's head, because judging by her words and actions, it seemed that she was just as content with travelling with Shui as Shui would be with travelling with her. This brought a pleasant smile to her face.
    "Ah guess if we're gonna be travelin', the first step would be findin' our way outta here. Can't exactly say I know it; never needed it. Kinda just wandered out sometimes, and always wandered back in." she had made occasional contact with some of the towns and villages, even reaching the fringes of the deserts sometimes, but like a chicken to its roost, Shui always wandered back to the swamps at the end of the (sometimes metaphorical) day. It was easy to get lost, but she simply followed her feet, which sometimes led her out of the swamps and into the light. When it did, she'd explore, but she seemed quite content with wandering back into the depths of solitude only to get lost and start the adventure all over again.

Thus, since she did not know a particular way out, but Yolen had apparently found her way this far, clearly not being a local herself, Shui trusted that she knew a way out. If not... they were both about to do some wandering, and possibly wading through the mud.

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

[OOC--it's fine. I apologize as well for my own delay. my writing muse is back thanks to NaNo, and so I should be able to reply much quicker from here on out.]

"So I've got p'tential then, uh?" Shui cocked her head towards Yolen once again. "guess that's the best place t'start." Shui's words were very blunt, due in part to her having basically learned speech through the spirit world and similar mediums. She preferred to get straight to the point and cut out 'pleasantries', which made her come off as ruthlessly blunt and straightforward. On the other hand, she at least had the decency to try and let people know of her shortcomings so that they knew she wasn't trying to push them away. No, when Shui pushed someone away, she either did it literally, or resorted to threats and then actual attack. These two things were rare, as she generally tried to be diplomatic. Of course, even interaction at all with people was extremely rare for her, and so these dealings may have been more hypothetical than anything.

Shui gave an awkward laugh, mostly due in part to her having not ever laughed much in her life. It was a quaint phenomenon, for it was certainly not that the avatar was unhappy; she simply lived contently. It was like hearing an Elder monk laugh. they were so calm and serious all the time that seeing their lips curl upward and the erratic exhaling patterns that come with laughing come from their mouths... it was just unusual was all. "You've always gotta choice, friend." she reassured her, "do whatcha will, but if y'er offerin'... I'd wanna join." She was strong, but did not want her new friend to feel like she was being coerced into anything. That was simply not Shui's way. Feral as she might have been, and dangerously powerful with the elements as her power might have hinted at, she was a pacifist at heart, perhaps a state of enlightenment she had discovered in the swamps.

However, it seemed that maybe Yolen's remark had been in jest, or had gone right over Shui's head, because judging by her words and actions, it seemed that she was just as content with travelling with Shui as Shui would be with travelling with her. This brought a pleasant smile to her face.
    "Ah guess if we're gonna be travelin', the first step would be findin' our way outta here. Can't exactly say I know it; never needed it. Kinda just wandered out sometimes, and always wandered back in." she had made occasional contact with some of the towns and villages, even reaching the fringes of the deserts sometimes, but like a chicken to its roost, Shui always wandered back to the swamps at the end of the (sometimes metaphorical) day. It was easy to get lost, but she simply followed her feet, which sometimes led her out of the swamps and into the light. When it did, she'd explore, but she seemed quite content with wandering back into the depths of solitude only to get lost and start the adventure all over again.

Thus, since she did not know a particular way out, but Yolen had apparently found her way this far, clearly not being a local herself, Shui trusted that she knew a way out. If not... they were both about to do some wandering, and possibly wading through the mud.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It was confirmed. This woman, the Avatar, needed guidance. There was nobody else present who was able to offer it, thus Yolen supposed she had no choice but to aid this her in her own development. It was not for her own sake, but for the world's. The Avatar existed for a reason and the Avatar had a mission. It was a mission that was not going to be fulfilled as long as she spent her life living in a swamp. That was a burden the young monk could not even imagine having on her shoulders. It was that drive that led her to her next decision: allowing the woman to tag along. Of course, getting out of the swamp was simply the first of many tasks ahead of them.

"Admittedly, it was easier to get in here than it will be to get out." Yolen began. "If we can find our way out of here then you can come along. You have a thing or two you could learn from the experience." If a person intentionally wanted to become lost then the swamps were the optimal location. The monk saw it now. She did consider calling her bison, but she hardly wanted to get the poor thing caught up in this mess. If they were to be lost then she preferred that it simply be herself. Just her and the Avatar, struggling to survive in a hostile environment. It was only fortunate for her that the Avatar had experience in doing so.

Yolen took her first steps, attempting to carefully retrace exactly where she had touched down from the skies above. So far, it was proving more challenging than anticipated. The swamp was dark and chaotic while the skies were bright and peaceful. The differences were striking. "Have you often ventured out of here? I have a feeling that you should be leading us out." The monk finally suggested. Somehow there was some wisdom to be found in the situation, that tasks were more easily completed in tandem with others. It made harmony and coexistence more important than ever; how could humanity work together when they could not even get along?

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

And so began the journey of the Avatar—at least so it seemed. Shui had no idea what was in store for her, but she was curious and was more than willing to find out. She had been sheltered; although not from the reality of life, but more just from human interaction and civilization. They were strange in several ways, and yet Shui knew she would have to walk among them.
    "Anythin' t'help me becamma better Avatar..." she tried to speak slowly and better enunciate her words, but it was clear that this would be something she would need to practice. "Altho... t'be honest... haffa wut makesuh good Avatar... is th'friends they make 'long th'way... th'ones that help 'em 'n stuff." This was not something Shui had actually experienced in her life, but so spiritually attuned was she that she could essentially recall memories of many of her past lives as if they were her own.

"I..." Shui gave pause when asked if she had ventured out. "I've... a few times. Honestly, most th'time it happens it's jus' me wanderin' 'round 'n endin' up som'ere. Th'swamp always calls me back tho... das' how I always ge'back."
    She paused, tilting her head. "where 'zactly d'ya wanna go first tho?" she looked around as if trying to coordinate herself. Shui was a weird paradox of prone to getting lost, but also having a rather astute sense of direction. in truth it was actually not that she got lost, but more that she didn't really have anywhere she was trying to be. One could not be lost if they had no destination.

"East'll take us t'Si Wong..." Shui crouched on all fours and hobbled a few feet in a particular direction, before looking up and sniffing the air. Her feet were together, her knees sticking out and her hands on the ground between her legs in an almost frog-like pose, and yet, something about this wild woman made it clear she wasn't as crazy as she acted.
    "'N from there, there's like a... hub, outpost... somethin'... whada they callit? err... place wherea buncha travellers meet 'n rest b'for headin' out to... wher'ver they're goin'?" It'sa bitta walk, but follow Avatar and she'll show y'the way out."
    Truly, Shui's walk was almost a hobble, fluctuating between a weird all-fours walk and a crouched sneak. She was a very unconventional woman, who, based on her appearance and even her speech patterns, could very well be confused for a simpleton or even an idiot. In reality, she was actually very intelligent with the way the world itself worked, and more than that, she was a glass waiting to be filled. She hoped her friend could help her in that regard, and more importantly, that she would have the means to help Yolen in return.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast