Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Til the Bittersweet End [M] ( Midoripickle & Ashen )

Member of the Month!
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Most humans were easy to read, but this one had her guessing. He was intriguing, but also dangerous. She would have to keep a close watch on him and be careful not to give him too much information. She would offer him help for now, but once she had what she needed from him, she'd lose him. Aeryn frowned a little, seeing that the hunter wasn't going to offer up much information on the matter. She sighed, " It's none of your business…" She snapped, but then thought better about it, taking a moment to look at it from his perspective. "But I have heard rumors that they are hosting someone I'm looking for." She said quietly after a moment, turning her gaze away.

"I don't know exactly what it is that you want me to do, but I warn you now, I will not do anything that might jeopardize my mission…" She told him sternly, her piercing emerald eyes on him once again. She then winced, looking to her wound again. "What is your name, hunter?"

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

The Ashen One
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The way she struggled with her words, with her emotions, was amusing to him. She didn't know whether to help him or not, and that was becoming quite clear in her rude words and unapologetic recoveries. He'd be in for a wild ride, alright. Human women were already annoyingly indecisive, but this girl, she was something else. Knowing something of her internal struggle, that would give him an advantage. Maybe he could use that later. Things just got even simpler.

"My name is Link," he answered. "Linkon Hyrix, only acclaimed vampire hunter in this city. I've been awarded for my prowess in felling the nastiest of undead creatures." Which was to say, the mayor had given him an award once for saving some politician from a vampire. Otherwise, Link was mostly ignored in society, and no one took his job very seriously. Still, it was clear that he did in the proud way that he sang his name, spoke of his accolades. Link was not ashamed of who he was or what he didn't; he had no reason to be. To him, he was pursuing a safer world, and there was nothing to be ashamed of in that.

He gave her a little bow by means of introduction, careful to keep his ears open for any sudden movements. When he was upright again he was watching her eyes. "Fairness says I should get your name now," he told her. "What shall I call my new companion?"
    Last edited by Ashen; 06-26-2016 at 11:13 PM.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

She could feel the pride in his voice as he spoke of hits title. She didn't seem particularly impressed if that was the reaction he was looking for, nor did she seem put off by his prowess in killing her kind either. Her eyes then met his as he asked for her name. She was a little reluctant, but looked to him boldly. "Aeryn..." She said simply, as that was the only name he would get out of her.

She then looked around the area for a moment, keeping her ears open for any sudden movements, then turned back to him. "So then, Link... I'm sure you must know of popular vampire hangouts in the area... Perhaps somewhere I can go fishing for information... For the both of us?" She asked.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Aeryn. He tried it on his tongue once. For a vampire, it just hadn't been what he was expecting. "A pretty name," he commented. "Well, Aeryn, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I do hope we can achieve our goals together with ease." He'd soon find out if it really was a pleasure. For now, he'd keep his expression just authentic enough to keep her guessing.

Leading her straight to a vampire hangout seemed like a very bad idea. She would easily be able to turn on him, and with the support of her own kind, they would outnumber and try to kill him. Link would have a hard time fighting so many of them. Still, he couldn't just say no. He was Linkon Hyrix, Vampire Hunter. Admitting he didn't know something so simple as a vampire hangout would be an insult to his name. "Of course," he told her. "What kind of place were you searching for? There are several scattered about the city from what I have found. In addition to that, it seems they like to have little get-togethers every so often. I have busted a few in my day. I do not know of any happening soon. I do know that they frequent the urgent care center a few blocks from here. After it closes it doesn't take much to break in, and from there they can steal all the blood samples they like. You'd think the place would up its security, but they have yet to."

He was speaking from experience. That much was clear on his face, in the confident way he spoke. This was the kind of information one could not get from a book, but from careful observation. His enthusiasm about his job was clear even through his facade.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

She only raised her brow at his compliment and kind words. "Right…" She muttered, though she only hoped this alliance would come back to bite her in the ass. She thought for a moment. " I wouldn't be surprised if they have ties to the Clinic. Someone working on the inside that keeps the security low. " She said and then put a finger to her lips. "What about a more diverse meeting place? Perhaps someplace with frequent clientele from outside the area?" She suggested. She had to look into more leads about this family and if they were indeed hosting the one she was looking for.

After a moment Aeryn held up a hand, not caring if she interrupted his sentence. She stared out towards the street, eyes and ears focused. "Someone's coming…" She hissed quietly, waving him to move towards the other end of the alley quickly. However, before they could leave, two vampires turned into the alley way from either end. There were five all together, including the young man from before. "T-that's them! Right there!" Aeryn's eyes widened. She hadn't expected him to go get help. Clearly he had been in too deep… "Shit…" She muttered, eyeing up their opponents. "Can you take the two on the left. I'll take the other three" She whispered to him, although she wasn't too eager to turn her back to the hunter.

As the others slowly stalked closer, the biggest one of her side raised a brow. "I thought the little shit was seeing things… I couldn't believe it would be one of our own involved." He said, his tone turning from one of disbelieve into disgust. "Get rid of 'em!" He called to the others, who them rushed at them in pairs.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

"More diverse...?" Link paused to think it over, quickly coming up with a mental map of all the places he'd seen vampires before. Diverse... He could come up with several names of several places around town that seemed like broader-scale meeting places, but before he had a chance to tell her, she was quieting him. Someone was coming. So lost in his thoughts, he hadn't heard the footsteps coming for them. There was more than just one. From the sounds of things, there were five altogether. They were under attack.

Once the vampires were upon him Link was quick in sizing them up. Two on either side, one in the middle. If they ran, they had a clear path to the south, or they could run past the young one to the north. But Link wasn't about to run. He heard the panic in Aeryn's voice and only brushed it off. This was only five, and he had help. He drew Marie from his left side and stood poised, ready to strike. The vampire thought she'd be able to take on three of her own kind. Pah, let her believe what she wanted. With his trusted broadsword tightly in hand, Link gladly prepared for battle.

He'd managed to strike his first target, and decaying flesh went flying to the ground. As Link continued to move, his swordfighting skills were apparent. He was probably the only person left in the city--in the country--who knew such swordfighting techniques, and still had the youth to be able to perform them. He easily plowed through his two vampires, looking very much in his element. His coattail wavering around him, his precisely-timed footfalls, his skilled strikes of his sword; Link, in the moonlight, almost looked like a dancer. The show he put on was one of vengeance and victory. This was too special a day; he was not going to lose.
    Last edited by Ashen; 06-26-2016 at 11:19 PM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Aeryn made quick work of the first vampire who lunged at her, taking off his arms in one clean sweep of her blade. Then as he was distracted by the loss of his arms, she took off his head and kicked his body to the ground. However, this angered the second vampire even more. For the moment she wasn't concerned with the subjugate. There wasn't much a simple mortal could do, even under their influence. For a moment she glanced to the hunter, actually impressed by his ability and the gracefulness with which he moved. She hadn't met such a skilled fighter in a long time.

The second vampire caught her arm as she swung at him, trying to wrestle the sword out of her hands. Except he wasn't suspecting the other various blades hidden on her person. While she struggled with him, he pressed her back against the wall, smirking as he thought he was gaining the upper hand. Until Aeryn grabbed a dagger from her belt, bringing it down into his back. The vampire cried out, freeing her hand which allowed her to slash him twice across the chest, then with a graceful spin, took off his head as well. Aeryn stepped back, turning towards the hunter.

Just then the boy snuck up on Link from behind, seemingly out of nowhere, a large knife in his hand. There was no time to call out to him and in the blink of an eye she was between them, pushing Link. The dagger sunk into her side and she cried out faintly, before turning and taking the boy down with a high kick. Aeryn yanked the dagger out of her side with a cringe and then threw it into the young man's chest. She frowned deeply, hating the idea of killing a human, but obviously he was too far gone. He would have been one of them soon enough…
    Holding her side, which was bleeding pretty profusely, she turned back to Link. "Are you alright?"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Link was watching her out of the corner of his eye. He, too, was impressed with her footwork, and the way she was able to so easily dice their assailants. Soon it was only the mortal that remained, the one that had brought this band of vampires right into his lap. Link smirked and looked over to the subjugate, ready to catch whatever throw the boy made. Only briefly he glanced at Aeryn, watched as she drew concealed weapons to take out her foe. Only after all the vampires were rendered immobile did Aeryn look to him, and only then did she start running right for him.

Link did not budge. Her face didn't look like she was trying to kill him. In fact, she was trying to protect him. Link noticed the mortal coming for him, noticed how Aeryn was trying to get in his way, and he acted. He tried to knock the girl out of his way, too sure he would be able to fight off the attack alone, but he was too late. Aeryn had already taken the fall. Regardless, she finished the boy with finesse, surprising Link even further. As she turned to ask him if he was alright he had to bite his tongue to keep from laughing. As if his welfare was the one in question.

Normally, the sight would have excited him. A vampire was gushing blood right in front of him, four dead around her, and on the anniversary of that day. It seemed like a perfect way to wrap up the momentous day. But this vampire, she had acquired her wound from protecting him. He could not take joy in that. "You're bleeding," he told her. "We need to get you to safety." But where was safety? He had never cared to try helping a vampire before, so he was ill-informed on what to do in the situation. Her wound might need to be stitched, but what doctor would dare? Would he have to do it himself? Link shook his head. "It will be faster if I carry you," he told her. "I won't hurt you. You need help. Let me give it."

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"Oh really? I hadn't noticed…" She snapped with a wince. Okay, maybe that was a little harsh… This time she looked into his eyes, waving her hand at him in a gesture as if to brush it off. "I'll be fine… Don't worry about it." She muttered, holding her side and moving to the wall to steady herself. Aeryn hated to admit it, but it was bleeding pretty bad. The dagger had gone in all the way to the hilt. Slowly she stepped over to the bodies, retrieving her knives.

Her jaw dropped at his next statement, making her jump up in surprise, only to gasp and double over in pain. "You can't be serious…" She muttered through clenched teeth. Though it was true, they really shouldn't linger there any longer… otherwise there might be another group looking for a fight. The less witnesses the better…

"A-alright… Fine." She hissed, not really liking the idea. In fact she didn't like it one bit… but it had to be done. Slowly Aeryn stepped over to him. Really she wanted to go back to her loft, but she didn't know if it would be wise to lead him back to where she lived. "Where exactly are we going?" She asked him, not sure if his place was going to be much better.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

He could sense her hesitation, but there was no time for reassurance. Link scooped her into his arms and started off at a brisk pace, navigating the city effortlessly. He was surprised to find the creature in his arms light, and all the training he'd done made carrying her no chore at all. Her question hung in the air between them, and it would go unanswered. Link wasn't sure himself where he was taking her. Where could he take her? His choices were too limited, so he took her to the only place he knew of that would not reject her.

He did not have to set her down while he dug for his keys. The door opened without much effort, and soon the two of them were in the house of a bachelor. The front room was messy, with art pieces thrown about and several water bottles littering the floor. A laptop was left open and running on a desk in the corner, and the tab on the screen displayed some online RPG. The faint smell of an air freshener tried to hide a much less pleasant smell and it was only doing a decent job. Yes, it was the house of a bachelor, and the main room alone screamed of that.

Link tried not to be embarrassed and walked Aeryn over to a couch, lay her gently down. "You know," he muttered, "when I thought of carrying a girl in my arms like that, I always imagined it'd be under different circumstances." He smirked before turning away from her, keeping his ears open for any sudden movements. Link slipped out of his coat, threw it to a chair in the room. Now, she would be able to see his sloppy dress, his blood-stained long-sleeved shirt and his vest. He tossed his hat to a hat rack--who had a hat rack anymore?--and missed, ignoring the hat that had fallen to the ground. For hunting them, the man certainly dressed like a vampire would. "I'll be back," he called over his shoulder. "Try not to bleed everywhere."

Link disappeared into a hallway, only to return a minute later. In his hands was a small box, and as he set it on the table next to the couch he opened it. There was a sewing kit inside, and he extracted a needle and thread. Turning to Aeryn, he looked down at her wound and shifted. "Unless you know of a doctor that'll sedate you, this is going to hurt." He met her eye, as if asking permission. "I've got some gin, if you think that'll soothe the pain any. I just don't think it would be a good idea to leave that open. Can't have a girl bleeding out in my house, you know? I have a reputation to maintain here."
    Last edited by Ashen; 03-19-2017 at 03:06 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast