Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415 LastLast

Thread: An Abyss of Secrets [M] (Sorrow & Ashen)

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

After all, we're family now. Cai turned his attention to the floor, to the fraying fabric of the rug in their room. He'd always been a family man; how could he not have been? Remus was all he'd ever had, his brother, his guardian, his best teacher and his closest friend. Winnie had been close to them both, and Cai would have laid down his life for her in a heartbeat. They were the only family he'd ever known, his own parents just feather-like memories, too light and fragile to grasp. They'd been with him every day, up until a year ago, when they were both stripped away. Cai looked back at Braxxon, at Amalia, at the children who had so selflessly offered to guide him. He thought of their grandma, of the love he saw in her eyes, of the love he now saw in the boy before him. Red rushed to his cheeks and Cai let out a breath. "Thank you, Braxxon," he murmured. "That means more than I can express."

Braxxon woke his sister less than gracefully, and Cai could only smile warmly at their exchange, at Amalia's irritation and Braxxon's apathy. The girl ran off quickly, leaving the men to get ready and head off. Cai nodded and grabbed his things. He looked over the room, making sure it looked presentable enough. This was the last place he'd stay as an ignorant man. He'd get his answers today, as much as he wanted them, as much as he didn't.

They made their way down to the dock and Cai paid for the final trip over another body of water, at least until he made it back. The boat was not to come for several minutes, so he looked over Amalia and Braxxon, thinking. What would happen after this? He wanted to stay with them, to invite them to his home in Omashu, the home that had grown too quiet and too lonely. He could find them jobs in the city easily, and he could pave good lives for them. Would they join him back home? He couldn't know, and he felt it too early to ask. There was a huge obstacle in the way, and as he glanced up at the volcano just across the water, he felt a lump in his throat. The boat was pulling into the dock now, awaiting their final chapter. He looked at the kids again. "Are you ready?" he asked them. Getting up, Cai stepped onto the boat, his hydrophobia forgotten because of the fears he had for his brother.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Fantasy, Gifted, End of the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was it, their final boat ride until they had finally reached the volcano. To no surprise, Braxxon noticed they were the only three aboard the ship. He couldn't' blame anyone else for not going, especially after some of the nastier rumors he had heard. It wasn't long before the boat slowly made it's way from the small dock. The waters were very calm, not pushing or pulling the boat. This would make it some much easier on Cai. Braxxon leaned against the railing on the side, staring off into the distance. He was lost within his own thoughts.

Amalia stood beside Cai, her arms behind her. The two stared towards the volcano, slowly inching towards it every few seconds. "No matter what, you should forgive your brother," she said, continuing to look out at the looming island. She shifted her stance and gave the earth bender a small glance after a few moments. "Take Braxxon. I know he's told you some of the things he's done. He's not this hero I want him to be," she paused, checking to make sure her brother wasn't eavesdropping. "I've overheard a lot more than I lead on to show, Cai. If I can learn to accept what my brother did, I know you can too." She placed a tiny hand on Cai's, holding it tightly. She gave a small laugh before it slowly faded away into awkward silence. "I guess the only real difference between our brothers is that I get to watch mine redeem himself and make himself better.." her words trailed off into sielnce once more. "I'm..sorry. I didn't realize how...rude that sounded.."

The island was now very close. Details of it could now be seen. It was dark, eerie, and looked hot. Braxxon was snapped out of his daze as he now joined the others. A chill was sent down his spine, making his hair stand on end. "Wow, that's one scary place.." he muttered. Amalia nodded in agreement. She hugged onto the earth bender. No one without reason would willingly come here. It wasn't long until the boat docked onto the island. Braxxon was the first to step off, his chills getting worse. "This place.."

Amalia stepped off after Cai, staring up towards the sky. Suddenly, it was dark. The wind howled here and there, picking up dust and scattering it about. She hard swallowed, taking an uneasy step forward. "Amalia, if you want to wait by the boat you can. I'm not going to force you to come with us." She shook her head, being firm. "No. I want to be with Cai. He's not handling this alone."

Braxxon took a few steps ahead of the others and turned back towards them. He pointed towards the prison with his curved staff. "Let's get this done." He turned back away and continued to lead the rest of the way up towards the dark building.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A dragon with dull scales

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Aboard the boat, Cai was surprised at how intimidating the small vehicle was. The boats, he knew, were a new addition. Most had taken the airborne gondolas to get into the prison, but since the overthrow of the tyrannical warden, boats had been used to get there, too. The waters below them, though calm, were steaming, an attempt to dissuade prisoners from swimming away. Water and fire, Cai's two biggest fears in one. He couldn't think about that. As he watched the volcanic structure grow larger and larger, he could only think of his brother.

Amalia's words startled him. Cai looked down at the girl and arched a brow. She wanted him to forgive his brother. So, she had been listening after all. His gaze fell to Braxxon, and he shifted uncomfortably. Cai was known for being forgiven, was known for being too kind for his own good. But Remus had murdered Winnie in cold blood; how could he overlook that?

As they grew closer, Cai watched the steam rise up from the volcano. Visibility was reduced severely, an attempt to dissuade anyone getting away by aircraft. Braxxon was right; scary was an understatement. The solid steel structure stood, imposing and impassable. Its walls stretched to the skies, and its window-less facade gave off a less than friendly atmosphere. As the boat docked, Cai found himself staring blankly at this place, his brother's home.

The kids were willing to stay with him. Teary-eyed, Cai smiled at them, and he nodded at Braxxon's encouragement. They needed to get going so they could get out of here. Cai walked into the prison, to hollow halls and empty rooms. "Hello?" he called out.

Suddenly there was a guard behind him, clearing his throat. The guard was old, wrinkled, his brown eyes tired and not willing to put up with anyone's nonsense. He juggled a fire in his hands. "What?"

Cai cleared his throat. "I'm looking to visit one of the inmates," he said, hating the taste of the word on his mouth. "Remus Mercator."

The guard scoffed. "Murderer," he muttered. "Here."

Cai ignored the comment and followed the guard. On the way, they passed by prisoners making snide comments. He tried to keep his chin up; he couldn't let these people get under his skin. They were led to area with several inmates standing together, talking. "Remus!" the guard called, and one inmate poked his head up. He'd been standing among the group, silent, and as he looked up, a painful recognition crossed his eyes. "Caius," he breathed, "what are you doing here?"

The guard stepped away, allowing Cai, Braxxon, Amalia, and Remus among the inmates. Remus motioned them over to a table where no one was sitting. He motioned for them to sit, but Cai remained standing, staring. "You look so different," he muttered. "Rem, bro, are they feeding you okay?"

Remus looked to Braxxon and Amalia. He recognized their garb; they were citizens of the Fire Nation. "You found yourself some friends," he said slowly.

Remus, in many ways, was the opposite of his brother. Where Cai dropped endings off his words and talked to everyone in a relaxed manner, Remus talked like a nobleman. He pronounced every letter of his words, and he spoke as if he'd been raised in a castle instead of the streets of the Earth Kingdom. He was skinny, ghastly thin under the deep red clothes everyone there was wearing. His brown eyes were the same hue as Cai's, though they were far more exhausted. His beard had grown, a new addition since Cai had last seen him. Absently, he wondered what else had changed.

Cai looked to Braxxon and Amalia. "They led me here," he explained. "This is Braxxon, and this is Amalia."

"I thought you better than to take advantage of homeless Fire Nation kids, Caius," Remus said coldly.

Cai flinched. "I'm not doing that," he said. "They... wanted to come here." He looked to them. Had he taken advantage of them? Were they only here for the coin he'd promised? No, he told himself, they were here because they wanted to support him. Cai shook his head. "Rem, they led me here because I wanted to talk to you. I needed to talk to you. I've crossed oceans to be here. You know how hard that is for me."

Remus pushed away from the table, stood, and turned away. "You should have stayed home, Caius," he said. "You're not welcome here. Go back to Omashu. Take your firebenders with you."

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first empty room they had entered large and silent. Braxxon wanted to turn back before something happened, but the guard behind them seem to stop them. As they walked to where Remus was being held, various prisoners made many comments; something Braxxon wish he could've shielded Amalia from. He kept his gaze held to the floor as they walked, not wanting someone to recognize him. The thought of being locked up in this horrid place with Remus was enough to send chills down his spine. After all, he was no better. If he wasn't paying attention he would've bumped into Cai when they had made their way into the room where prisoners were held.

Amalia sat across from Remus, as her brother stood next to Cai. Upon being introduced, the two had given Remus a nod, Amalia adding in a smile afterward. She cleared her throat before speaking up "We're not actually homeless," she said. "We're from-"

"It's not important, Amalia." Braxxon said flatly. He had his arms crossed, not breaking eye contact with Remus. "This is the brother you've been talking up? Not to be rude Cai, but he's not exactly someone I expected. I kinda had hoped to see someone who was bad ass." Braxxon had smirked somewhat.

Amalia stood when Remus did, partially not wanting to be the odd one out. She crossed her arms and had a disproving look on her face as she stared at Remus, not that he could see it. "So we came all this way for nothing?"

Braxxon cut in, tapping his staff a few times on the ground. It was a small attempt to catch Remus' attention. "Sorry, but I don't take 'no' for an answer. I'm not going back home until you answer your brother." He moved so that he was standing in front of him. His brown eyes locked with Remus'. "We're roped in on this now, we deserve those answers too!"

For once, Amalia didn't disagree with her brother. "I think it's fair since we've came so far," she gave Cai a glance before looking back. "I'm sure Cai can agree."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Remus paused at the sound of Braxxon's staff hitting the floor. The metallic echo blasted through the prison, pulling the attention of several inmates. He sighed and turned back to the three, irritation now visible in his aged features. "I do not need your harassment, Caius."

Cai cleared his throat. As difficult as it was for him to watch his brother like this, Braxxon and Amalia were giving him strength. "You've changed so much, bro," he said sadly.

"I'm a murderer, Cai," Remus said, eyes boring into his baby brother. "I'm not a badass. I'm not your brother anymore. I'm a criminal made to live out the rest of his days here. Is this the kind of person you want in your life?"

Cai flinched visibly. "Why did you kill her?"

Remus turned away again. "You wouldn't get it," he said, waving him off. He paused again, turning to look at Amalia. She was a lanky little thing, a spirited kid eager to help her brother--or, perhaps, brothers. Remus looked over Cai again. "You care for them like family," he said. "I'm glad you have found others." He looked behind him, at the inmates that had already turned away from them. "Sit down, Caius," he said finally.

Cai obeyed, taking a seat at the table and assuming Braxxon and Amalia would follow suit. He watched Remus take a seat beside him.

The older man sighed a great sigh. "They don't know anything, do they?" he asked, motioning with his chin to Braxxon and Amalia. "I should start from the beginning then." He sighed again and looked past Cai, at nothing at all. "I did love Blodwyn," he said, his voice level. "I loved her as family, and when I bought her that ring, I was ready to invite her into our lives, intimately. I wanted to grow old with her and make new life and be the family that we never had. But then, I noticed her getting greedy. She... She would hide money from me, what she earned from work and... the money she got from elsewhere, I do not know where. She refused to pay for anything, always relying on me. And then, one day, well..."

Remus's gaze fell as he recounted the age-old memories. "She had a plan to kill you, Caius," he said quietly. He didn't allow time for the party to respond before he kept going. "She found a wanted poster, a man with a bounty. He looked suspiciously like you, though thinner, with lighter eyes. She thought to turn you in, to take the money and move to Ba Sing Se, just the two of us. I refused, I called her crazy, but she would not listen to reason. She got violent, attacked me even. We were in the streets, and she pushed me into an alley. I tried to calm her down, and that was when she created the fire."

Cai hesitated. "Winnie wasn't a bender," he interjected.

"She was," Remus replied. "She had never told us, but that night, she forced flames at me." Silently, he lifted his shirt, showing the bumps of his ribs etched with dark burn scars. Letting his shirt fall, he continued. "It was like seeing Ma and Pa. You wouldn't remember, brother, but... But the fire, our home, our parents, it all came back, and I could not move. She knew that, and she walked off to find you. I had to snap out of it, but I felt nauseous, dizzy. I chased after her, but I walked into some pipes, pipes connected to the second floor of the building we were next to. They fell then, on top of her, hitting her head. She fell, hard, and lay there, helpless. I could have helped her, I could have done something, but... I did not. I left here there to die. I must have passed out, because next I remember, some earthbenders had me in chains, and I was being sent in for questioning."

Cai looked over his brother, his lip trembling. He couldn't understand how someone he had viewed as a sister had lied to him and wanted to kill him, but he was even more upset she had attacked someone who loved her as much as Remus had. "So it was an accident," he said quietly.

"I should have called for help," Remus said, shaking his head. "She is dead because of me."

"You were protecting me," he said. "Remus, you're not a murderer. You're just... you're just my big brother." Cai pushed himself away from the table and, to his brother's chagrin, wrapped the older man in a giant hug. "I'm so sorry," he murmured, and in that moment everything else fell away, and there were just two brothers embracing for the first time in years.
    Last edited by Ashen; 06-14-2019 at 02:22 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The siblings listened intently to Remus as he told his story, all the way up to the end. Amalia could only gasp as he spoke, Braxxon remained silent, but kept steady eye contact through out the story. As the two brothers finally embraced after many years, Amalia stood and wiped her eyes. She sniffed a few times and failed to hold back her tears. She had put herself in Cai's shoes, knowing well that she'd be just like him if it was Braxxon that was put away like Remus. She stood back, giving to two space and not intruding. It was a long awaiting moment Cai wanted. He deserved to enjoy it, even it was bittersweet. Braxxon placed his hand on his sister's shoulder, pulling her close. He gave her a smirk before glancing back at the two brothers. She knew Braxxon cared about her, even if he wasn't too emotional about it.

"As much as I hate to break up the family reunion, there's another pressing matter," Braxxon stepped a little closer to Remus and Cai, glancing between the two of them. "We can't let an innocent man rot in here. He could be tried again for it once more, but murder is murder. They'll still see him as such and nothing will be done sadly," Braxxon started to pace back and forth, trying to think. "Even with the connections I have, I still don't think it'll be enough."

"What about mom and dad? Aren't they wealthy? They could help!" Amalia chimed in. She had a large smile on her face, thinking she'd come up with a great idea.

"Our parents? Don't be stupid. Just because they're wealthy doesn't mean they'll help us. Besides, they were the ones who forced us out of Ba Sing Se with grandma. I'm not asking them for anything," Braxxon snapped before looking over at the brothers. "I'm sorry, Remus." He looked defeated and upset. Amalia tugged at his arm, whispering something in his ear. He responded by shaking his head and whispering back. Although the earth bender and his brother couldn't hear, they could easily read his lips. My connections when I was the Silver Coin wouldn't help us now, sadly

The girl walked over to Remus, slowly taking her backpack off. She dug through it for a moment before pulling something out. It was a rocky rose, one that Cai had made and gifted her. It was slightly chipped here and there by being in her bag for so long. She offered it to Remus. "Cai made this for me when we first started traveling together. I think you could use it a lot more than me, Remus," she gave him a large smile. Her smile was infectious, it even made her brother smile. He knew she was only trying to lighten the mood. "I want you to have it. It's a piece of Cai that you get the keep."

"Cai, what are we going to do?" Braxxon said, glancing up at him. "As much as I know you want to, we can't stay with him all day. Sooner or later they're going to run us out," he glanced over at Remus for a moment before looking towards the ground. "I know you'll have a heavy heart when we leave, but.." he paused. So, what's to come?"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Cai and Remus were only subconsciously aware of the siblings' chatter about them. Remus was defeated; he knew there was no hope for him in getting out of here, and he didn't want any. In his mind, he had killed her, even if he hadn't intentionally slammed the pipe to the back of her head. His fiance was dead because of him, and he would never forgive himself for that. To him, he belonged here, and he'd live out the rest of his days in this fortress.

Cai was heartbroken by his brother's story, but he was also relieved. The murder had never been intentional, and even if Winnie had turned on them, he took solace in knowing his brother had his back. "I'm so sorry," Cai whispered. "If there was anything I could do..."

Remus shook his head. He motioned to Braxxon and Amalia. "I'm just glad you've found yourself a family," he said. Despite his situation, despite the exhaustion in his eyes, despite his ever-formal manner, Remus actually smiled. He arched a brow as Amalia walked up to him and handed the rose, the impressive figure his brother had made. "Oh," he breathed, taken aback by the action. "Amalia, thank you," he said. He looked to Cai, as if asking permission to truly take it. "I'll treasure this."

Cai didn't like Braxxon's words, but he knew they were true. He'd come all this way, and he'd gotten his answers, but it was time to leave. "I'm going to visit you, Rem," he said to his brother, a promise burning in his gaze. "I'll visit every year, and keep you company, and tell you how I'm doing. Okay? You can count on it." He turned to Braxxon and Amalia, his found family. "But we have to go now. Thank you, for explaining everything." Tears puddled at the corners of his eyes. "I don't think you any less. I... I thank you." Glancing at the guard who'd led them in, Cai shifted. "We'll catch you later. Take care of yourself." And, despite how much it hurt, Cai let his brother go again, knowing this time, he would be back.

---

At the entrance of the prison, Cai turned to Braxxon and Amalia. "I guess this is it," he said sadly. He dug in his back pocket, pulled out a pouch, and dropped it into Braxxon's hand. It was their payment, a sizable amount, enough to cover travel expenses threefold. "What's there to do now?" he asked, looking over the steaming waters before them. "I should head back to Omashu. My apartment and my friends are waiting for me there. Of course, there's extra room, with just me living there, and I'd love to introduce you to the fellas, if you'd like. I could find you jobs there, if you wanted, and show you around." He met the eyes of Braxxon and Amalia in turn. "Only if you want to. We should get you guys home to your grandma first, I bet."

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With a final goodbye and a wave, Braxxon and Amalia had left the large structure, now standing on the outside. It seemed like it was just yesterday that Cai had asked them for help. The two stood there, staring up at the looming tower, thinking about everything that had gotten them there. I guess this is it. Braxxon looked up at Cai as he was handed the money. He flashed it to Amalia, who just awed at it. She hadn't seen that much money before. "I suppose you can hold onto it for now, even though you know most of it is going to gramma," he said. Amalia responded with a nod, putting it away into her bag.

"I'm not sure about Amalia, but I'd be more than happy to go with you," he chuckled a bit before continuing. "Although, at some point I'm going to Ba Sing Se. I need to speak to our parents. They pretty much just threw us out of our home and forced us over here. We're fire benders, yeah, but natives to that city." He tapped his staff, glancing out at the steamy waters. "Once we go back, I'm going to the Earth Kingdom."

"What about gramma, Braxxon? You can't just leave her. She needs us," Amalia protested. "We have to stay with her."

"You can. I'm not. Amalia, I can't stay here. At some point it's going to be revealed I'm the Silver Coin. I'm wanted here, but not in the Earth Kingdom. Besides, our parents are there and I need to ask them some questions while also getting a few things back," he placed his hands on Amalia's shoulders and intently locked eyes with her. "I'm going to make a better life for me, Amalia. I could one day afford a home, find my dream guy, have a pet. I can't do that here.."

The girl stood there, silent. She conflicted with herself. She wanted to be selfish and demand that he stay here, but she also wanted him happy. All he wanted was to escape his past for a brighter future. She let out a deep sigh and gave him a nod. He replied back with a hug. "If gramma let's me go, I wanna go too," she said, pulling away. "I can't just not see my family." She hugged onto Cai's arm, giving him a large smile. "Isn't that right?"

It was not long until the boat had finally arrived. With the three aboard it, it set sail. The dark looming cloud above disappeared, as well as the steam rising for the calm waters.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

On the boat ride away from the Boiling Rock, Cai's conflicting thoughts swirled in his head. He didn't want to force the two away from their grandmother, after all. What would happen to the elderly woman? What kind of life did she lead here? Would she be alright in their absence? He knew it wasn't up to him to decide, but he still wondered about it, still thought of that old woman he had seen. She'd want the best for her grandchildren, but was that in a far-off kingdom with the earthbender who had stripped them from her?

The journey back to the siblings' home was long and exhausting, but now, Cai felt a new energy propelling him. He'd gotten his answers, and he knew who his brother was. Remus would always think himself guilty, Cai knew, but the younger brother had a new appreciation for his elder, a deeper love. On his way back, he thought of all the friends he'd left behind, the friends he would cheerily talk to, who would listen to him rant about Remus some more. He thought of them often on their journey, and of the apartment he'd left behind, the work he was excited to pick back up. He could resume his life again, this time knowing deep in his heart that he had a brother who loved him unconditionally.

Also on their return trip, Cai found himself talking to Braxxon and Amalia more. He listened intently as Braxxon told him about his ambitions in the Earth Kingdom, about the parents who'd left them to remain in Ba Sing Se. He listened to Amalia talk about her brother, about their grandmother, and about her own hopes for the future. And Cai told them both about his own life, memories with his brother, his travels. He was grateful that they got the chance to sit and lose hours just enjoying each other's companies, now with no business holding them together.

Though the journey was long, Cai was surprised when they pulled up on their island. He didn't yet want to part with the two, but he knew the decision was not up to him. He would have a word with their grandmother, would thank her for allowing them to guide him. And then, he would wait on Braxxon and Amalia, to learn of their plans. With any luck, Cai would be returning home with them, his new family, ready to start a new life.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As they docked, the siblings stepped off onto familiar land with happy footsteps. The wind whistled by, messing up Amalia's hair. She struggled to gain control of it once more but to no avail. She just huffed and ignored it. She laughed a little before glancing up at the others. "It's good to be home. I've missed it," she said stretching. "I wonder if anyone really noticed we were gone?"

Braxxon glanced around, many faces he recognized. He gave them a friendly smile before looking away. Others even waved at the siblings, letting them know they were quite missed. It caught Braxxon off guard that others even thought about him, but it was a nice change of pace. "I guess that answers your question, Amalia," he replied. He stepped up on the tips of his toes, looking towards a certain spot. After finding what he was looking for, he ran off in a dash without any warning. Amalia glanced back at Cai, struggling to form any words. She shook her head and chased after her brother.

Braxxon stood at the front of a stall. As Amalia approached it, she knew at as her grandmother's stall. "Gramma, we've returned back from our really long trip," he said. He stood a little awkwardly. "I, uh, kinda missed you.."

The old woman laughed. "I missed you too, dear. I'm happy you're back in once piece." She jumped down from her seat and walked around to the front of the stall. "You three seem different. Braxxon, you see to have a little more experienced. You look mature. Amalia, you seem more confident in yourself." She paused before glancing up towards Cai. "You seem happier, earth bender. I hope you found what you were looking for."

Braxxon placed the small sack of coins into his grandmother's hands, giving her a smile. "I went on this trip for you, Gramma. I kept a little for myself, but most of it is for you." The old woman nodded. "Well, let's get you guys rested up. I'm sure you're very tired now," she said, glancing towards the house.

"Actually Gramma, I don't think I'll be returning home. You see, Cai has this home in Omashu and invited us to go live with him there." The woman opened her mouth to speak but Braxxon quickly cut her off. "It's something I want to do. I want to live a better life. I can be someone there, I could find love. I could-"

"Go back to see your parents?" The old woman interrupted him, this time with a stern tone in her voice. It was enough to give the siblings shivers down their spines. "Earth bender, I will speak to you privately. Braxxon, Amalia, go wait inside. I'm speaking to him alone." The two glanced at each other before looking back at Cai. Without another word the two slowly walked inside of the small house and shut the door. The old woman took her seat back behind her stall, staring up at Cai with daggers. "So, what's this offer you've made them, Earth bender?"

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415 LastLast