Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: {Ashen x Drakonnas} Ransei's Revenge {Rated M for Mature}

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Fiction, pretty much anything with a good plot.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Edward nodded solemnly as Kinta reassured him that he wouldn't forget his heritage. That was very important. Reassured, Edward followed Kinta through the jungle, towards the village. Nothing could have prepared him for what remained there though. As they first laid eyes upon the destruction, Ed saw flashbacks to other, similar tales. But this, this was worse. It was a true ghost town now, and it was difficult to look upon. Everywhere Edward looked, he could see the ghosts of those who had died. Well, truth be told, he imagined them, rather than saw. They were much more faint than the ghosts of his crew, which he could see much more clearly. But... this... This was something else.

Shattered remains of the village were everywhere, huts still remained intact but destroyed, he could easily see the remnants of the once great Ransei tribe. And it threatened to overwhelm him. Edward closed his eyes, and placed a hand on his Chandelure, and muttered a prayer for the deceased. Chandelure's flames seemed to burn slightly brighter for a moment, and then faded back to their normal brightness. Edward observed Kinta, and he could see the difficulty in the child's movement. He could sense the hesitation, and understand perfectly why he might be so hesitant to come back here. But he did it anyway, and seemingly with a steeled expression that bordered on unnerving.

Kinta spoke of the Elder's house, and their way of life. Edward closed his eyes for a moment, he could sense and see it happening. He saw the spirits of the Ransei tribe going about their life, laughing, shouting... living. He fought to remain calm and collected through all of this, and began tracing some of the Hieroglyphs with his finger, wondering what each one meant. What significance did it have? What did they mean? What was the history behind each, and how much culture went into this, only for it to be obliterated in moments?

As they moved on to the next house, Edward was not prepared for what awaited them there. As Kinta spoke, Edward shivered; the emotion in Kinta's voice was almost robotic. He could sense the pain behind the boy's words, and could see it in his eyes, but, nevertheless, Kinta did not cry. There was something eerie and spooky behind all of this, and Edward shifted, uncomfortably. He could see Kinta shivering in the corner, and he could see the murder, the blood flying in slow motion, hear the screams and cries... It was all too real for something that was past.

And so they continued on, Edward continued to imagine the fate of the Ransei tribe as they continued. He was impressed at the kid's nerves, but perhaps he simply didn't know how to feel, or how to react to such a thing. As they finished, Edward pulled Kinta into a close hug, only for a second, in case the boy wasn't comfortable with such a thing. "You have suffered much, young Kinta." Edward said, and looked around. "I can feel your tribe's presence here, almost as if they have been here, watching over you." He said finally. "And I think I have a better understanding of your life and culture now. I do not have further questioning for you, unless there is anything else you wish to share."

He took one last, long look at the village. "It is okay to feel pain, to feel sadness. It is okay to show your emotions. Some might think you weak for showing them, but I believe it takes true courage to face your emotions, and let them free. It is okay to mourn for your loss, and grieve for those who have been lost. What you should not do is let it consume you to the point where you cannot function. By accepting your feelings, and understanding them, you can move on. That is a difficult thing that even adults struggle with. That even I struggle with."
    Spoiler: Sig Pics 

The Ashen One
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The pirate was taking all this worse than he was. Kinta wasn't totally aware of that until the man came at him, holding him tightly, only for a moment. Even so, Kinta assumed a defensive stance, but Edward was off of him before he had the chance to defend. Were there tears in the pirate's eyes? No, that couldn't be right. Why would a stranger mourn the loss of a people he never knew? And that... that gesture, a hug? When was the last time Kinta had been hugged? His gaze fell to the ground. Too long ago.

The child perked up at the mention of his tribe. He felt them? "Of what do they feel?" he asked softly. "Are they filled with pride, with shame? Am I doing well unto them? Have I dishonored them?" Now suddenly had questions, and he didn't even know where to start. If his family truly lingered, dead or not, there was much to know. Kinta needed answers, he needed to know how well he was doing. He wanted to know if he was the man his tribe was proud of.

He didn't pay much attention to the pirate's advice on emotion. Overseas must have been different; Ransei did not show their emotions. He had spent years mourning; he needed no more time. Which brought up another point... "You know of the slaughter of the Ransei," he said. "Now, perhaps, more intimately than you wished. Pray, do you know how long ago it happened? I have not the slightest how long I have been alone with Anyo. I know not how many years have passed, and thus, how many years I have. I hardly think my body resembles that of one who has seven anymore."

Curious as he was, Kinta was still observant. What the pirate had said, that even I struggle with, that meant something. Edward was still mourning, and still finding a way to cope. Being unable to function... Kinta could remember that stage of his own life, so filled with grief and guilt that he could hardly survive. Perhaps Edward was going through the same human action. Did that not remove all doubt? There was no way Edward could be the monster Kinta initially thought he was, not if he felt the same things Kinta had once. Maybe, just maybe, the pirate--the man--could be trusted.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Edward felt Kinta's initial struggle and was glad he hadn't held on longer. But the initial touch barrier had been broken, and that was an important step in getting to know each other. When Kinta had asked how his tribe had felt, Edward frowned. He closed his eyes, trying to sense their presence. He could feel them around him, could sense them. But their emotions, how could he sense them? He had never really tried to communicate with spirits in this way before, they were... it was like trying to catch smoke in your fist; they were there, but never enough to actually BE there.

He mouthed a few words, trying to get a more solid grasp of them. It was extremely difficult, and Edward had begun to shake his head when a sudden glimpse of emotion brushed against him. He froze, trying to sense more, but it had vanished, as if a light breeze had blown the contact away. He could still sense their presence, but any contact he had was gone now.

"...It's extremely difficult to communicate or understand." He said, choosing his words with care. "I barely was able to brush consciousness with them. But... the thing I felt most of all was sorrow. I believe they are sad that they were torn from you, and that you were forced to live like this. If I am understanding correctly, I could be wrong, they didn't want you to live alone like this. But... amidst that sorrow was peace, was happiness as well. It felt bittersweet. If I had to take a guess... it would be that they are proud of you for continuing to live, to survive, to honor them. You have not forgotten them, and that has kept them alive and around." He said, hoping that his translation was intuitive and correct. "I cannot say for sure if this is correct, but this is my best guess... As for how long it has been, I cannot tell. Not yet. I would need more time to glimpse anything else. I am sorry, but for now, this is the best I can do. If you wish, I will spend more time in meditation, trying to hear and listen."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

If the initial trust had already been established with Edward, Kinta was unsure whether he could believe him. His family... They felt sorrow? But he didn't want them to mourn; they weren't to mourn. His tribe had been one of warriors, of men and women who did not show weakness, not even in the face of tragedy. Sorrow... No, that couldn't be right. Kinta did not want their sorrow.

The child turned away, twiddled his thumbs. Perhaps he shouldn't have asked. His family was dead after all, as ghostly as the Shuppet that walked the island at night. Communicating with the dead was a dumb idea. What did this Edward know? Kinta was not going to let this get him down. If his tribe was so filled with sorrow, he'd show them he could handle himself. He'd be the man they could put faith in.

He turned back to Edward, a new determination in his eye. "I thought it was a requirement for the mainlanders to study the histories in scrolls. No, you have a different name to them, books?" A massacre as great as his people's, and it hadn't even made history books? The kid had to admit he was a bit bitter about that. "Never mind," he muttered. "Now. What did you intend, Edward? Will you stay here, or will you pursue the pirates who took everything from you? If you intend to stay, I suggest you begin carrying your own, and you set up your own camp." It was his not-so-friendly way of telling Edward he was welcome, at least for now.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Kinta did not seem to like his answer, and Edward was unsure about if he should approach the subject again or not. Kinta may have known more about the tribe than he did, that was undeniable, but it was possible that he did not have true insights into the minds of the adults in the tribe. Perhaps they were different than he remembered. Or perhaps they weren't. Edward did not really have a way of knowing. Kinta spoke of history, what of it? "Nay, nothing of your tribe's ending was ever mentioned in any of the history books. Perhaps it is because I began sailing the seas before your tribe was killed, and that has now entered history. Or perhaps, no one even knows that it happened. Apart from you, I, and the criminals..." He looked off into the distance, contemplating. "History is a funny thing." He said. "To the victor go the spoils of history, they get to write it. Which means, they choose what gets remembered, and what is forgotten amongst the sands of time."

"As for what comes next. I have no need to set up a camp here. I have my own accommodations aboard my ship, food, shelter, anything I need I have on my ship. There are extra rooms there as well, should you wish to take one for your own. I do not have any set plans. I have, as of late, been of the wind, taking me where I will, when I will. I could pursue them. Or I could stay for a time. It makes no difference to me. And truth be told, I know not where to begin looking. The trail has gone cold, which is why I stopped here originally. I had hoped to get some clue as to where I might continue searching for them. So, I suppose the question is more about you. Do you wish to stay here? Or do you wish to roam the seas? I can teach you here or there, it makes no difference to me. I am flexible."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

So, a genocide of such a powerful people, and no one even knew about it. Kinta could hardly understand why such an injustice was permitted in the world. Did no one care for his dead people? He knew the tales, knew what had happened. Long ago, settlers came to the continent of Ransei, and forced the natives out. Those natives had moved to this very island, called themselves still the Ransei, and had continued life separated from the original settlers on this island. The child did not know how many generations had passed since the settlers originally settled on what once was Ransei motherland, but he knew it had been far longer than even Fway had been alive. The settlers had forgotten his people then; were they still so indifferent to their business? It disgusted him, absolutely disgusted him, that no one even cared about his home.

He didn't have long to be angry before the man was off again. Kinta looked up and shook his head. "Anyo and I will remain where we have lived all these years," he said evenly. "This is the land I was born on, and the land I will die on. As I understand, you have little intention of returning once you leave." Though... would that be so bad? Edward was looking for his tribe's murderers. If Kinta had a hand in that, would he not be getting revenge for his tribe? Would his family not want that from him? Still, it was too early to say. He did not yet trust Edward; he would not be leaving. "We will stay here. Perhaps you will find a clue among my land. Thank you for offering your home to me, but you will understand my answer. You are free to sleep in the resting place of comfort you have known all your years. I will sleep on the cold cave floor I have known in mine."

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Edward nodded, he had expected such an answer. "I understand, and expected your answer, Kinta. This is okay, I do not begrudge you. I shall sleep on my ship, but I shall be back tomorrow morning, and we shall begin your education, and maybe find some clues about where your assailants may be now." He wasn't terribly confidant, since they probably hadn't been here in some time, but he had no idea of their whereabouts, and any information could be helpful. "Good night, Kinta. I hope you rest easy. I shall talk to you in the morning." Edward signaled to his pokemon, and together, they left the island towards the beach.

Once back on his ship, Edward took comfort in the eerie fog that was omnipresent. It soothed his wary nerves, and put him at ease. His pokemon were relaxing too, which gladdened him. They deserved it. Chatot had flown off to the crow's nest, and was doing who knew what. Kabutops was swimming laps around the ship, always working to get stronger. Edward went to his cabin and lay down on the bed, the familiar rocking of the ship lulling him into a peaceful calm. Kinta was on his mind, and all of what he had learned that day. What could he do for the kid? He wanted to find Cipher, that was certain, but he also wanted to help Kinta. But... he had to remind himself, the kid might not want the help in the first place. But... he had asked. How much help did the kid actually want?

Edward fell asleep, still thinking of the kid. When morning came, he heard the pitter patter of rain hitting the deck. All his pokemon were taking shelter in his room, and all were asleep. He stood up, yawned, stretched, and opened the door. Rain was coming down hard, but that didn't bother him at all. He was used to water, he sailed the seas, after all. It limited his visibility, but that wasn't a terrible problem. Part of him wondered if he'd be able to find Kinta again. He figured he'd wait a little while before going back onland.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Kinta nodded his farewell to Edward as he started off towards his ship. The child had never been on a real ship before, and he wondered just what the vessel contained. Was it really such a danger to venture to it, rest aboard it? Yes, Kinta thought, it would be far too dangerous. Edward could sail off with him at any time, and once again he would have his home stripped of him.

Once Edward had gone, Kinta turned to his Sliggoo, who was licking at his arm. "Anyo," he said quietly, causing the Pokemon to look up curiously. "To our cave. We will continue study of the man on the morrow." Anyo gave a little salute before scurrying beside Kinta, all the way to their cave. Once there, Kinta started a small fire, and he yawned loudly. "Can you believe?" he murmured. "A real man, come here. I had not thought such an occurrence would take place while I lived. And yet, here he is. I do wonder if he will leave by morning. Perhaps he really will teach me the way of a man." He turned to a pile in the cave, stacked high of salvaged Ransei tools and trinkets. "You would want that," he said in a quieter voice to a family long gone. "Would you not?"

He had spent much of his night up thinking, so when morning came it was Anyo who had had to wake up his trainer. Kinta rolled over groggily and opened his pale eyes to Anyo's blind ones. "What is it?" he mumbled sleepily. "Anyo, please. Nothing of evil*. Go back to sleep." But the Sliggoo was persistent, and soon took to tickling Kinta. The child got up then, giggling the whole while. "Stop that!" he said, laughing. "Okay, be well, I am up."

It was a normal morning, which consisted of Kinta and Anyo heading out to forage. Their breakfast consisted of the berries they knew were safe. Once they had eaten their fill, Kinta held more berries in his shirt and made his way to the shore. He didn't know if he was expecting a ship to be there yet, and if so, if Edward was even up. The sun had only just risen; did everyone wake with the sun? He stood on the shore, staring up at the foggy ship. "His ship almost appears to be a Pokemon," Kinta murmured. "A ghost-type Pokemon. Shall we wait for him, or shall we go explore?" Anyo backed away, shaking his head. Kinta sighed softly. "Very well. We will wait here." Kinta sat on the sands and crossed his legs. "You will learn to face your fears one day, Anyo."

* Nothing of evil - translates to "Nothing's wrong"

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Edward stood, ready to stand upon land once more. "Reaper. Spectra. Glacia. Buzzy. Polly. Let us explore once more. I shall ride you today, Reaper. Let us away. Surf." He mounted his large pokemon, who looked happy to be of service, and together they surfed towards the shore. Through the pitter patter of rain, he could see a figure waiting for them on the shore. It must have been Kinta. Polly squawked excitedly.

"Friend! Friend!" Edward smiled, and calmed the musical pokemon. Mandibyzz cawed loudly, and sailed overhead effortlessly, despite the rain. Spectra, on the other hand, seemed to be on the grumpy side. "That's fine, Spectra. You may wait aboard our ship. Guard it well, my friend." The ghost pokemon seemed to be happier with this arrangement, and floated eerily back aboard the ship. His Glalie, however, was loving the rain. Any droplets that entered a foot radius froze, and turned to ice. The plunking sound of the hail hitting the water was amusing to the pokemon.

"Good morning, Kinta." Edward called out. The rain had lessened slightly, but the sky was still dark. The sun could be seen slightly behind a lighter patch here and there, but much of the sky was gray. "Do I find you well this morning?" He asked, landing, and climbing off of Reaper.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Kinta watched as Edward approached on the intimidating Pokemon from the day before. Anyo was scared by him, and he clutched at Kinta, causing the child to drop the berries in his shirt. Kinta sighed and turned to his Sliggoo. "He will not harm us," he said softly. At this, Anyo stilled, and he watched the pirate approach. When he could smell the Glalie he cheered a bit, glad to have the playful Pokemon back again. Kinta picked up his berries and held them in his shirt, then rose to greet the man as well.

He nodded a bit, noting the way Edward's grammar was coming along more easily now. "You find us well," he corrected, and little Anyo chirped happily. Kinta looked down to the berries in his shirt and gave an awkward smile. "I thought you might desire breakfast. I understand the servings of a man of your caliber probably exceed the servings Anyo and I are used to, but..." His voice just trailed, and he gently jerked the berries towards him. He was trying, at least. It was a step up from his ease in hostility the day before.

Kinta had not brought a weapon this time, and he stood before Edward, vulnerable. Where he was raising his shirt his tanned skin showed, dirtied and scraped. It was not raised enough for him to see much more, to see the lines of bruises of the unwanted bulges on his skin. He didn't seem to care about how much skin he was showing, and instead he waited for Edward to take the berries. "What will we do today?" he asked. There was a childlike eagerness in his eye, an eagerness to learn.

~Recruitment Thread~

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast