Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] A Light in the Dark [Ashen & Midoripickle]

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

She walked him a little distance away, into a quiet alley between an abandoned shop and a closed bar. Her eyes were on him and she backed him into a wall, gently enough that he'd not hurt himself. He'd told her he'd done nothing to her book, but was he lying? Did he know just what she was, and was only telling her what she wanted to hear so that she might not kill him? There was a way to find out. Mae dared to look him straight in the eye. She held his gaze for a few seconds, challenging him. Those eyes, those pale eyes; either he was a damn good liar, or he was telling the truth. In a single motion, Mae shoved her hands off of him and turned away.

She lingered in the alley for a moment, trying to decide on a new course of action. If he really did know nothing about her, she was safe to leave. But there was something else in his eye, some desire, and she had to be wary of that. She had gone off to bathe and then sleep; could she really rest, now that this had happened? Losing her book was a real scare, and even now that she had it back, could she release her troubles and sleep? What if this thief, who now knew the worth of her book, followed her, and attacked her when she was vulnerable? Maybe sleep wasn't a necessity quite so soon. Maybe a day awake wouldn't kill her.

She turned back to him and removed her book from her bag, cracked open to the exact page she needed. Dark eyes brushed over the page, too quickly to be reading. If he looked at the book he'd see two pages of symbols he wouldn't recognize, letters from a land no one knew. When Mae finished she snapped her book shut and looked back to him. "If we ever have a run in like this again, I really will not be so kind," she promised, a bitterness lacing her words. "I know how it goes. You need to get by, and who cares about who you screw over, so long as you wind up on top. I know that. And normally, I'd only be a little bitter. But this, this is mine, and you're not even a good thief." In her head she rehearsed the words she'd just read, a promise, a spell with his name on it. "Count your blessings, traveler, and let this be a lesson learned." With that, she turned away from him and started away.

You should have killed him. Mae tried to ignore the voices in her head, the chorus of voices that criticized her decision. She waited until she had walked out of town to address them. "Shut up," she muttered. "I don't need comments from you. He didn't know what it was. I can't kill him for that." You like him, don't you? At this Mae physically stopped and shook her head. True his eyes were the prettiest gems, but like him? Why would she? There was no redemption about him. He was some low-born, who stole from women and watched them without their knowledge, and who looked at them as if they were the most important woman in the world--no. His glance meant nothing. Chances were, he was drunk anyway, and any complimenting gaze was directed only by booze.

She started walking again, trying to remove him from her mind. No harm done. Her book was back, she was headed west, and she'd be traveling through the day. With a gentle sigh, Mae clutched her bag closer and listened to the war going on in her head.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Member of the Month!
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan stumbled back a bit in the alley way, his eyes quickly looking for anything he might be able to use to defend himself should she attack him after all. He looked back to her then, his eyes widening a bit as she stared directly into them. He might have been a thief, but he was an honest one, if that made any sense. However, after the long silence, she simply shoved away from him and turned her back to him. He stood there speechless, watching her warily. Then, as he opened his mouth finally, she turned back to him suddenly with her book in hand.

He blinked, utterly confused. Why did she drag him into a private alley way, only to stare into his eyes. And what was it with that book? Why was it so important and what was she planning on doing with it now? All these questions and no hope of an answer, not now anyway. He honestly hadn't even so much as flipped through it but now he was regretting he hadn't. It was obviously a clue to understanding this beautiful, mysterious, and yet dangerous woman. Then, all of a suddenly she put the book away, with a warning. He frowned a little, then looked down suddenly as she called him out for screwing people over to get ahead. Though he didn't feel that was true. He wasn't really that kind of person… was he? "I don't want to be this way…" He muttered quietly. However, his head darted up suddenly. Not even a good thief? "W-what's that supposed to mean?" He gasped, taking mild offense to that statement, but the woman was already walking away,

He watched her go for a moment before he dared to step out of the alleyway. Again he was reminded of the wound on his neck and sighed. She really could have killed him just then, and yet he was utterly fascinated by her. Well, Lochan would admit he didn't have the best sense of self preservation. Walking over to a fountain, he rinsed his hand and then washed the bit of blood from his neck, before heading back to the market. As he walked past the vendors looking for a new target so that perhaps he could get some food, Lochan noticed the many eyes on him. A lot of people in the market were watching him now, whispering to each other. Well this was no good. As he suspected, he was now branded as a thief in this town and even if he managed to get together enough money, few would be willing to take it. With a heavy sigh, Lochan turned and headed towards the west, out of the town. He tried to think of anything else to get his mind off his empty stomach, staring down at his feet as he walked. However, he paused as he nearly stepped on another foot print. It was smaller, more delicate… obviously a woman's footprint. Lochan then looked ahead suddenly, smirking as he spotted a cloaked figure far ahead. Despite her warnings and the chance that she would likely maim him, at the very least, he started after her, following her at a good distance.

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

She was getting quite far from the town now, and her feet were growing weary. The path she was on had only grass and trees, without another town in sight. The distant clouds suggested rain was part of that day's forecast, and once again she'd have no cover. How well would her immune system be able to hold up this time? With a sigh, Mae took a seat on a rock by the side of the road and rested there for a few minutes. Bags were forming under her eyes and she let out a large yawn. Exhaustion covered her like a blanket, and for a moment she thought she might fall asleep on the rock, but then the memory of him flashed by. What if he had followed her? Don't be ridiculous, she told herself. But a rustling from a nearby tree had her grabbing for her sword immediately.

There was no doubt in her mind who was stalking her now. "I was not kidding when I said I'd kill you," she growled, her sword drawn. "Come show yourself, you coward. Your days of peeking at me are over." But the thief didn't emerge, and she was growing angry. "This is truly how you want to play?" she asked him. "Very well." But as she started walking towards the tree, she was greeted by someone else entirely. Perhaps someone was not the right word; the thing before her was a beast. Its beady red eyes stared down at her and there was a smile on his toothless face. His skin was the color of a cloudy sky, and in his hands was a scythe he had poised.

Mae instinctively backed away, just in time to dodge a strike. Already she was cracking open her book, keeping her sword in her other hand. The old text fell open to a page with a picture of the beast before her. The caption told her the beast was called a kokfurende. Mae read all her book had to offer. A zombie, completely blind, who relied on his hearing for hunting. Originally from rural areas--he was far from home. He must have been raised by the Dark Lord, imagine. The Dark One's reaches, all the way out here. She brushed over the rest of the information, the beast's history, its lifestyle, how it hunted, until she got to weakness. His skin was highly flammable, and just dry enough for water to hurt. Even so, she's be playing this one safe. The elements would have to wait.

Mae closed her book and shoved it back into its satchel just in time to dodge another attack. She skillfully took aim and swiped at the beast with her sword, slicing off a hand. She didn't stop there; the woman moved on to decapitate the zombie in one swift motion. His head rolled a few feet away, still chattering. Victorious, Mae sheathed her sword and looked over the twitching body. How beautiful it was as it died, instantly fading away into dust. She sighed and turned back towards the road. A beautiful victory, and no one to have even witnessed it.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He followed her from quite a distance, staying just close enough that she didn't disappear from sight. But he also kept hiding spots in mind should she turn around for any reason. Not that he wouldn't have some lie in mind how he just happened to be headed in the same direction. Well, it was half true. He paused as she took a seat on a rock, obviously resting for a bit. Lochan stopped as well, cringing from hunger pains. By the looks of it, the girl likely wasn't going anywhere, so he turned towards the woods then to go foraging. Even if she continued on, he wouldn't be long enough to lose track of her.

After a little bit of searching he came across a weed he knew was edible. It didn't taste the best, but it'd saved him from starvation on more than one occasion. Still, he longed for the day when he wouldn't have to survive on weeds and roots. However, as Lochan was stuffing some in his pockets as well as his mouth, he heard some shouting just up ahead. He bolted upright then, looking around suddenly. Had she somehow found out he was following her? Quickly he ducked behind a tree and then cautiously peeked around to the spot he'd seen her last. It seemed obvious now she wasn't talking to him. But then who?

Lochan simply watched, though he was surprised as Mae started to back up. It was then that he saw the beast making it's attack. He felt a cold shiver go down his spine just at the sight of the thing. What should he do? He had nothing to fight with and yet he felt the almost uncontrollable urge to come to her aid. However, he'd only taken a few steps before Mae made quick work of the creature. It was nothing more than a pile of dust by the time she was finished with it. Lochan just stood there, frozen in awe by this woman's skill. And here he thought he might have protected her? If only she could teach him how to fight like that, but she would more likely kill him before he could even ask her for any favors.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

She didn't move right away. Instead, Mae looked over the dust and ash the beast had become, studying it. "Yes," she said softly, to no one anyone would be able to see. "It does remind me of cremation. And I didn't even have to use my real fire." It would seem she was talking to herself, and probably not making much sense, either. After mumbling some more, she picked up the creature's scythe and looked it over. Such a menacing weapon; if she were caught with this she'd face suspicion worse than that previous town. Still, if she could find someone to take it off her hands, she might just be able to feed herself that day. So, gripping it firmly in her gloved hand, she started off in search of the next town.

The sun moved higher and higher into the sky, bringing with it the bright skies Mae rarely saw. She didn't know how long she'd been walking but she was exhausted and her legs were giving in. There was a forest before her, one she did not yet want to venture into. Somewhere far away, someone was yelling at her. "I know," she muttered irritably. "I just--Hm?" She stopped when she heard something from within the forest. Quickly her eyes scanned the dark before her. She moved her scythe before her, waiting. "Show yourself," she called curtly. And yet, there was silence.

Just as she was about to relax again, another monster sprung out at her. It was the same species as the one before, except this one had the claws of a badger. Mae was caught off-guard, but still she was able to move out of the way and rip some flesh from the beast with the scythe. Exhausted, she was suddenly engaged in another battle, and this time, she wasn't sure she had the energy to stay alive.

But Mae tried her best, stealing swipes at this monster. This one was more agile than the last, though, and she was more sluggish than she had been. The raging migraine that had come on at the kokfuruende's appearance wasn't helping matters much, either. Everything was too loud; the voices were screaming. She couldn't take it. "Stop," she was mumbling, with every dodge and every slice. "Please, stop." Obviously, the beast didn't listen to her plea, and kept coming at her. Mae took another swipe, but this one was too strong, and the scythe fell out of her hands. She tried grabbing for her sword but it was useless; her coordination was entirely off. Falling to her knees, Mae was completely at the merciless beast's mercy. She was powerless, and all she could do was accept her death. You deserve this​.
    Last edited by Ashen; 06-20-2017 at 03:50 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan was feeling a bit tired himself, but he could tell by the way the girl slowed that she was feeling it much more than he was. He wondered if she had any inkling as to where she was headed or if she was just wanderer like him. He paused then, hearing a noise as well. He was bit closer this time though she hadn't noticed him yet thankfully. Just then another dark creature suddenly emerged from the trees. He knew the Dark Lord's minions would occasionally attack travelers, but twice in such a short time… Was there a reason for these attacks? Could it be because of Mae… or were they just lucky?

However, he didn't dwell on the thought as he watched Mae try to fight the creature off. Unfortunately, it seemed she was losing the battle this time. He could see her exhaustion was getting the better of her and the creature was unrelenting. She was in trouble, he quickly realized. But what he could do? He was a nobody who couldn't fight if his life depended on it. But as Mae suddenly fumbled with her weapon, he could only act.

As the beast brought down it's claws towards Mae for a deadly blow, something suddenly slammed into it from the side, knocking it away from her. Lochan stumbled, grabbing onto the beast as it suddenly turned it's attention on him. What could he do, he thought quickly, grabbing a large rock to bash it on the head a few times. The horrible creature growled and swung at Lochan, it's claws catching him on his shoulder and over his arm. He cringed but quickly grabbed for the scythe. With a wild swing he managed to catch the beast off guard, injuring it deeply. It might or might not have been enough to kill it, but it was enough to scare the thing away. Lochan waited and watched, making sure the creature was gone for good, before he quickly turned to Mae. "Are you all right?" He asked her between pants, looking her over for injuries. However, it seemed he was the one who was worse for wear, his shirt now torn and stained red.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Her breathing was shallow and she sat there, her tiny form looking tinier as she shook, completely helpless. For a long while Mae didn't even know the battle was over. The silence was deafening, and she could not stand being tormented like this. Why had the beast not just killed her? She'd die without the answers she had devoted her life to obtaining, but at least she would be free from this. What was it waiting for?

Minutes passed before Mae opened her eyes. She was alive. A confused expression crossed her face and she looked up, shielding her eyes from the sun, trying to prevent a worse migraine. Before her was another monster, with its most recent kill draped over its shirt and its scythe ready for--wait. Mae squinted, and she saw the form of a man. Her savior? She didn't fancy being saved, but if this stranger had not shown up when he did, she would have been dead. She turned away, her head still pounding. Had he asked her something? Over the cacophony of voices, she could not even tell.

She looked around her, momentarily dazed. So close to death, and yet, she didn't feel relieved to be alive. She just felt... tired. She looked back to the man, concentrating on the blood on his shirt. "I'm fine," she muttered, trying to wave him off. "But you, are you okay? Do you need something to treat that? I have some salves." She threw her bag over her shoulder to look into it, sifting through its contents. When she found what she was looking for she held it out to him, but retracted her hand when she saw who it was. "You?" she breathed. Suddenly she stood, backing away and moving her arms to cover her body. She seemed to be dizzy, and nearly stumbled. "You've been following me this whole time?" she growled, her hands flying to her sword. "By the gods, you're persistent."

She was upset; as much was clear on her features. However, she was more upset at herself, at not noticing this stranger stalking her, at needing his help in as mundane a task as taking care of a dark creature. He had saved her life though, hadn't he? It didn't matter. He was still a sorry excuse for a man, and she was prepared to refuse him again. Out here, no one would hear him scream.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan looked to her, clearly concerned as she seemed completely unaware of what had just happened. It took her a while to even open her eyes and even as she did look up at him, she didn't seem to recognize him. He frowned, realizing how scared she must have been. He dropped the scythe then, and then kneeled in front of her, looking over his own wound as she mentioned it. It was hard to say if it would leave a scar, though it didn't seem very deep and he'd likely recover just fine. "T-that would be… nice." He muttered softly, surprised she'd be so eager to help him. He reached out for the salve and then blinked as she drew her hand back suddenly.

Lochan blinked, stumbling back up to his feet as she stood. Now it seemed she finally recognized him. "W-wait-" He gasped, rushing towards her as she stumbled, still concerned for her even though she had promised to kill him if they ever crossed paths again. However, as she drew her sword on him, he jumped back quickly, pulling his arms up. "No, i-it's not like that-…" Well it was, but it didn't seem she was going to listen to his reason. If he really even had one. "I-I just… happened to be headed this way… But I stayed back so I wouldn't be in your way. " He said quickly. "I-I mean you no harm… I swear. Why else would I have saved you?" He asked honestly. "I-I don't want anything from you… as if you have anything. We're both wanderers… we should be looking out for each other, right?" He pleaded, hoping she would have some mercy on him.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

This man was so full of it. Mae sheathed her sword and narrowed her eyes, seeing right through him. She maintained that icy eye contact for a moment, then burst into laughter. The ridiculousness of it all, it was setting in. She had just finished two different battles with two different zombie monsters, nearly died in one, only to be saved by the very man who had stolen her most prized possession and watched her bathe. Not only that, she was being tormented by a whole army of voices that were all in her head. It was crazy, this entire thing was crazy, as crazy as she was.

When Mae did quiet down, she rested a hand on either hip. "You claim you were just headed this way," she said calmly, too calmly. "You contradict yourself, breedbate. You claim to be a wanderer. I know better than anyone that wanderers are never headed anywhere. You were following me, this whole time, and you have the audacity to deny it to my face." But she didn't seem mad. In fact, she was talking in a gentle sort of tone. Mae turned away, leaving only the covered half of her face to him. A moment later she was laughing again, seemingly totally delirious.

Once again she quieted, and once again she turned to him. More than anything else, she seemed amused. The man had saved her life; she could at least humor him. "Who are you?" she asked him. "And what's got you out here? Don't you have other places to be? I imagine there are loads of things better than following me around. Prettier girls, they're only a few coins a night, you know."

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan was finally able to relax, if only a little bit as she put her sword away again. He shivered under her gaze, but tried to scramble together whatever dignity he had left after she had him cowering. However, the sudden burst of laughter left him utterly bewildered and he debated if this woman was actually sane. He waited speechlessly until her laughter subsided.

"Y-yes, well after you exposed me as a thief in that town, I couldn't exactly stay there any more. It's true, I just wandered this way… and then… W-well, I noticed you up ahead so-" He confessed with a small sheepish smile, though she didn't seem to be upset any longer. The smile fell as she started laughing again and he wondered if she'd hit her head somehow in that fight. He blinked as she finally turned back to him.

"My name is Lochan." He told her. "T-that's all there really is to know." He said with a shrug. Of course he had a fake last name so that no one would know who he really was, but even then he was reluctant to give it out. "No… There's no where I belong, no place I call home." He told her. "Perhaps, but the few coin I can get my hands on is better spent on a hot meal. Besides, I don't there is any woman in all this land that possesses the same beauty and fighting skills as you do." He added with a smirk, obviously meaning that as a compliment. But who he was kidding, no woman ever looked twice at him, especially not a woman like this. He probably looked like a mess, especially all cut up like this.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast