Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] A Light in the Dark [Ashen & Midoripickle]

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The way he spoke, like a small child trying to lie out of trouble, and the way he was grinning shyly; Mae had him by the reigns. She felt no remorse as he told her he couldn't stay in town. If he had been a good thief he wouldn't have been caught. He watched him for a few more minutes, trying to ignore the chorus in her head. Lochan, it was a curious name. He gave nothing else, but Mae knew better than to ask. She was a wanderer too; she knew the reasons for wandering were best left unsaid.

She had her arms crossed over her chest, judging him, as he tried to explain himself. Spending his money on food, that was something she could agree with, but then... What? I don't there is any woman in all this land that possesses the same beauty and fighting skills as you do. Even the voices silenced at this. Had he just complimented her? No, had he just called her beautiful? Mae quickly diverted her gaze. What was she doing? It wasn't the first compliment she'd received. She had received plenty from various men, all wanting a different piece of her. So why was this Lochan any different?

Mae prided herself on being able to spot a liar. She could look through the eyes of men and detect their exaggerations, their infatuations, their pleas of desperation. That was why she could so easily overlook compliments; none of them were sincere. But this one, the way he said it; did this pathetic thief mean what he said?

She couldn't waste time thinking on such trivial matters. Mae looked back to him, though she did not make eye contact. "You ought to watch who you say that to," she warned him. "Some girl might believe it." She turned away, to the salve still in her hands. Glancing up at him, she sighed. "I don't suppose you want this?" she asked, holding it out again. A change of heart. Maybe his compliment meant more than he'd intended.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Member of the Month!
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He blinked as she looked away from him, wondering if perhaps he had said too much. However, after a minute she turned back to him, even if she couldn't seem to meet his eyes. He always knew he was a terrible flirt, but really… Had no one ever called her beautiful before? He couldn't imagine that being possible. Lochan then perked up suddenly, curious about her warning. "Is that it?" He asked suddenly, tilting his head, his dark brown hair falling in his eyes a bit. "You don't believe me? Well it's true. I might be a thief, but I'm no liar." He said nonchalantly, watching her with the same awe as one might watch a wild cat… Beautiful but dangerous.

He looked over himself then, examining his wound a little more when she suddenly held out the salve again. Lochan looked at her curiously and perhaps a little hesitant. "T-thank you…" He said suddenly, taking it from her. However, he fumbled and nearly dropped it as his fingertips touched hers accidentally. He turned away a little in embarrassment and then pulled off his shirt, wincing a bit as he lifted his injured shoulder. Despite being so lean, Lochan's torso was quite muscular, though probably more so on his chest and arms. He sighed, annoyed that he didn't have a way of cleaning the claw marks first, but carefully he began applying the the salve to his wounds, wincing occasionally.

Once he was done, he handed the salve back and carefully put his shirt back out, looking at the tears and blood. Well he was definitely in need of some new clothes. He then looking to her, trying to fix his hair a little. "So… where exactly are you headed then?" He asked.

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mae shifted away from this thief so that he might not see under her dark hair, at her most defying feature. Of course she didn't believe him; how could she? How could she ever believe anyone who thought she, the scarred and scared sadist from far away, could possibly hold even an ounce of beauty? He was blind, or dumb, or something. Mae just couldn't believe that he was right.

She ignored his thanks for the salve, instead watching him apply it to his wound. It looked painful, and if she had only done what she knew she had been capable of, if she had just offed the beast without losing her control, he would have never sustained such injuries. No, Mae thought, she was not going to feel bad for him. It hadn't been her fault that she'd lost control, it was the fault of the demons in her mind. He hadn't even asked after them, asked why she had so suddenly faltered in that battle. If he did, what would she answer? By the way, I hear voices. Then she'd be getting locked away for a whole different reason.

When he spoke she lifted her eyes to him, a question on her own lips. Where was she headed...? Mae turned away and laughed. "Was it not you who told me wanderers do not have destinations in mind as they wander?" she murmured. However, that wasn't exactly true, and she knew it. She offered him a small shrug. "I am seeking council with the Dark One. Would you care to accompany me?"

The Dark One was a beast by many names, but all the people of the lands knew of him. He was the only mage anyone knew of, and he was using his powers of necromancy to raise an undead army. With it, some said he intended to take over the world. Few survived encounters with his minions; none survived encounters with the Black Dragon himself. Whole villages had been razed by the being's seemingly endless power, and it was clear the Dark One, whoever or whatever he was, intended to show no mercy.

Anyone claiming to want to see such an infamous force had to be completely insane. That was why Mae said what she did, leaving Lochan to guess whether she was joking or not.
    Last edited by Ashen; 06-20-2017 at 04:13 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

His eyes widened then, swallowing. Perhaps it was just a joke, but who would joke about such a thing… and it could possibly explain running into these creatures. "A-are you mad… Why would you seek to meet with him?" He asked in utter disbelief. He shuddered to think about the Dark One. What was done to Lochan's family, in his name, made his blood boil and yet his skin crawled with fear.

"Is that why those beasts were after you?" He asked suddenly, his mind racing. He was still amazed that she was about to hold her own against them… Well, almost. But he could see the exhaustion written over her worn body and was even more surprised that she held out as long as she did. He didn't resent her for his injuries… not one bit. That was his choice, as if he had one in that moment, and he didn't regret it.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

She laughed at his question, at the way he seemed to shake. So, he took her for her word. He was a bit quick to trust, especially for a wanderer. Mae soon quieted and looked over him again. This Lochan... Something had happened to him. The way he shied from her, the tone of his voice; something had happened. There was a personal connection between this man and the Dark One, and she had to wonder just what it is, or how useful it would be to her journey.

His last question was amusing. She had little intention of answering his first, but the last, that would not be revealing at all. "They only target me as much as they would target any other," she told him. "You are a wanderer. Can you truly say you have not run into beasts like those? The Dark One plays no favorites, Lochan. I fight off what attacks me to save my life, not to appeal to some legendary being. For all we know, he may not even be real. After all, have you ever seen him?"

Mae waved him off, then gathered her bearings and started walking away. "Anyway," she called over her shoulder. "What do you say, breedbate? Are you going to continue following me? If so, I think it'd be better to travel together instead of having you stalking behind. The company might be nice while it lasts, and I don't need pigs like you staring at my ass."

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"No… I have." He answered curtly, a touch of darkness to his otherwise pleasant voice. He noted that she had ignored his first question. There was definitely a story behind this woman and he decided that he would have to figure out what it was. He wasn't about to give up on his overwhelming curiosities. Lochan then tensed slightly, looking away for a moment as he tried to hid his discomfort. "No… He's real. I know that much." He muttered quietly, though his tone suggested he wasn't likely going to say more about that.

Lochan then blinked, looking up suddenly as she simply started to walk away from him. "B-breedbate? Just what is that supposed to mean?" He asked, not sure if he liked that term. However, he quickly forgot about that as she asked him to travel with her. It took him a moment before he composed himself and nodded, a grin slowly spreading across his charming face. "Hey, I'll have you know I wasn't staring. The pond was a honest mistake." He crossed his arms but was eager to walk alongside her. "Oh… By the way, you never gave me your name?" He said, watching her intently, waiting.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

There was definitely some connection between this man and the dark force ruining the world. She had to admit, the thought did excite her. If he knew something about the Dark Lord, she wouldn't want to let him out of her sight. She did have to wonder. The way he said it, as if he were avoiding some repressed, traumatic memory... The Black Dragon had wronged him, and she was dying to find out how.

The poor fellow didn't even know what her nickname for him meant. That made her stop to chuckle for a moment, then shake her head and continue off. Again he insisted he had not been staring at her. The smirk on his face gave him a charm she hadn't noticed before. She'd be bringing that smirk out in him often, she knew it. At his words though, she stopped walking and looked to him. "Have I not?" she murmured, raising an eyebrow. Mae thought for a moment, then nodded. "I suppose I haven't. Very well. I suppose we should make this formal." She held out her hand for him to shake. "My friends call me Mae," she told him. "Though, that's a blatant lie. I haven't any friends. But that's the name my dad gave me nonetheless."

She was completely unfazed at her own statement. It had been too long since she'd had real companions that she didn't even recall that it was abnormal anymore. Had she ever had friends? Mae wasn't sure, and she didn't waste time thinking about it. As she looked at Lochan there was a small smile on her lips and a mischievous look in her single brown eye. Her hood still shaded her features, and her hair served to hide her, but she wasn't so reserved with this man anymore. Frankly, he wasn't worth that.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He blinked as she suddenly stopped and held out her hand to him and his eyes then flicked to hers, staring into the one that was still visible. "Mae…" He said softly, smiling, glad to know at least one thing about this mysterious woman. He let out a soft chuckle at her joke, shaking his head. "You and me both…" He said, referring to her comment about not having any friends. "But perhaps we can change that?" He suggested, tilting his head, even though he knew that was probably a long shot.

He took a moment to look over her features, lingering in the one brown eye he could actually see. Lochan wondered why someone so beautiful would hide half of her face, but he was sure there was some reason for it that he'd yet to learn. All in good time, he thought, starting on down the road again. However, another thought had entered his mind after a moment. "Wait, you must be exhausted… I could see it when you were fighting. I know that's the only reason you couldn't finish that beast off yourself. Did you not sleep?" He asked, looking a little concerned. "If you need to rest… you can trust me. I won't rob you, I promise" He said, raising his hand. "Besides, It's not like you have anything valuable anyway." He said, mostly joking. But he did have a point… She had nothing valuable in his eyes at least.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

He was a fool to think they would find friendship in each other. Mae turned away and let out a sigh. "No," she said gently. "See, Lochan... The first time I met a child was when I was twelve years old. He was the son of some family who was visiting my father's abbey for some special blessing or another. He did not even spend the night. I come from a town with few children, and those that do exist are far in-between. I never learned to communicate with people my own age. My friends were all double, triple, quadruple my age, even well into my teen years. I just think, after all this time, it would be silly to learn to make friends now, don't you think?" She offered him a simple smile, but took in his expression. He was reaching out to her, for whatever reason. Maybe he was a fool, and maybe she shouldn't have been giving him the time of day, but... "Perhaps," she sighed, "It might be worth a shot."

Mae took offense to his statement about her belongings' worth, or lack thereof. If only he knew just what her book contained, he wouldn't be so easily marking it off. She turned away from him, shaking her head. I know that's the only reason you couldn't finish that beast off yourself. Well, that wasn't exactly true. The chanting spirits had been a large part of that as well, but she couldn't just tell him that. Was she tired? Absolutely. Was she going to sleep? Not a chance.

Mae kept walking, shaking her head slowly. "I am not all that tired," she lied. "I do, however, thank you for your concern." Her body language spoke nothing of the fabrication she had just told, but it was there under her eyes. There were bags there, and an exhaustion painted on her face, that she could not deny. However, she would keep trying. "Worry not of me, Lochan. I'll find some coffee beans to brew in the next town. Tell me, can you make yourself useful? Do you have a map, or do you know just how far the next town is?"

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

His expression fell slightly, as did his hand as she said no. He listened to her story and couldn't imagine what that must have been like. He never had a lot of friends, but he was close to those that he did have. And his sister… But now he would never see any of them ever again. However, just when he was about to step back, she offered him a 'maybe', and that was all it took to return the smile to his face.

His stormy eyes watched her curiously as she stepped ahead then, frowning a bit. He could tell that was all a lie, but it was obvious she wasn't going to listen to him. Of course trust took time to earn and he would have to keep at it. A part of him said that he should just walk away now, but he was much to compelled by her mysteries to do that. Lochan perked up suddenly as she thanked him.

Thinking about her question for a moment he looked up at her with a sheepish smile. "I don't know how useful I'll be… I don't know where I'm headed until I arrive there…" He said. "However, I do happen to know that there is a town this way, much bigger than the last. I'm not sure how much farther it is though. Perhaps half a days walk though, at least?" He said and then wondered if she was really going to be all right. She might dismiss his concern, but he could see the exhaustion in her eyes. "I guess we should get going then, huh?"

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast