Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 LastLast

Thread: [M] A Light in the Dark [Ashen & Midoripickle]

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mae could feel the tension beating under her skin. She felt her breaths quicken, counted the pulses of her rapid heart. She was so close, and all she had to do was waltz into this deadly poison to finally get what she wanted. Lochan was going to go, was going to get far, far away from this, so it would just be little wanderer Mae and her idol. Fascinated, the mage looked out on her legend, watched as the creature he resurrected walked with purpose through the town. She could finally taste this. Maybe, finally, she could get what she wanted.

But she was snapped away from her thoughts by Lochan. His tone, the look in his eyes, the quake in his feet; there was a nervousness there stronger than Mae would have assumed. Lochan had seen the Dark One before, had had a serious run-in with him, she could tell. He was terrified and determined, but what did he want to do? The terror in his movements brought pause to Mae's excitement. She couldn't do this, couldn't talk to him now, not with Lochan so terrified. She thought to that time in the barn, or just earlier, when Lochan was there for her when she had been scared. What kind of person would she be to not return the sentiment? Stealing one last glance towards the Black Dragon, Mae grabbed Lochan's hand and started running away.

She was going to regret this. She would regret this for a long while. Her dream was so near, but... Would she have even succeeded anyway? Would she have gotten past the fog to even manage to get to the Dark One? She was foolish for thinking it possible, and yet... The irrational side of her still wanted to turn around and charge in there, to reclaim what she knew she needed. Regardless, it wasn't time for that now. Now, they had to go.

Mae's legs felt wobbly. She wondered briefly if the little bit of poison she inhaled was responsible, but she decided speculating would only cause paranoia. She shook the thought and turned her thoughts away from herself. "I don't think anyone saw us," she said. "I think we'll be safe if we keep moving. But... Those people." She slowed and turned back to the now distant poisonous cloud. "All those people are going to die, and there's nothing... We... I could have saved them, but now they're all going to die." She hated the thought. An entire town was so easily disposed of, and she felt responsible. If she had charged in there, would she have been able to make a difference? She shook her head and started walking again. She couldn't waste her thoughts on the things she could have done.

As they continued, voices within Mae's mind chirped about all the dead spirits now in that village. Attempting to ignore them, Mae glanced at Lochan. "You have emotional stakes in this," she guessed. "You wanted him. You wanted to end him. He hurt you." She faced forward again. "I suppose we touched on this before, but... I think we're both seeking him, aren't we? I think you want him to pay." Would that work in her favor? She didn't want to agitate Lochan further, but if she could bolster his confidence, maybe he would help her find him again, when they were more prepared. "What if... What if we teamed up, became as strong as we could... to end him?"
    Last edited by Ashen; 04-17-2019 at 06:27 AM.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Member of the Month!
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan stood frozen, unable to gather the will to step forward, yet reluctant to retreat and lose this chance. But then, what chance could he possibly have against the Dark One? The fearsome and powerful dark necromancer. He would likely be killed by the poisonous mist before he ever got near him. And yet, the other part of him wanted to charge forward regardless if it meant his death. Though before he could decide, Mae grasped his hand and dragged him along with her to safety. And he didn't fight it. At this moment, Mae was the only thing he felt he had to live for.

As they slowed to a walk, Mae's words rang in his head. 'I could have saved them...' He closed his eyes tightly, bracing himself against the waves of emmotions coursing through him at the moment. He almost didn't hear Mae, but then looked up at her sharply. Lochan stared, but it seemed all of her guesses were hitting home by the way his silvery eyes darkened, like storm clouds rolling in. "Yes, I wanted to end him." He answered, his voice low and filled with such hatred that it surprised even himself. "I want him to pay... and I want to watch him suffer for what he's done before the end." His body was tense and fists were clenched at his sides.

However, Mae's suggestion surprised him and he snapped out of his dark thoughts once he remembered that she was in his company. "Y-you really think that's possible? Maybe you could... B-but I'm nothing but a coward." He said as he turned away from Mae, still trying to calm himself. But seeing the Dark One again, after all these years, brought back the horrible memory of that day. He could remember it all so clearly, as if it had happened yesterday, though more than a decade had passed. "I was a coward then... and I'm still a coward now." He muttered, dropping his gaze to his feet. 'I could have saved them...'

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Her questions were striking a nerve. Mae watched Lochan's eyes gloss over with regret. She was poking at something very important to him, and she wanted to recoil. The human part of her wanted to stop prodding, to console him, to remove the storms from his eyes and bring to him the comfort she owed him. And yet, a part of her wanted to keep going, to keep asking, to rally him against the being she so desperately wanted to meet. Plans filled her thoughts, questions to ask, words to say, just the right things to guide Lochan to an inhumane vengeance. But suddenly she stopped, and a similar storm met her brown eyes. What kind of monster was she?

She was silent for a few moments, her thoughts tugging in far too many directions for her to think straight. All those dead souls, and her dream, and Lochan, but Lochan... She looked back to him, at the shame spiraling behind those storms. Now was not the time for manipulation. Now was the time, perhaps the first time, to be a friend.

"All heroes were once cowards," Mae said softly. She started walking again, a new confidence in her step. "But then something happens. They find a cause to die for, and they put everything on the line. No man is born courageous. We're all just cowards looking for causes to pretend to be heroes." She shrugged her shoulders. "I think, if you are a coward, it's because you're not ready to be a hero. Every man has his moment, though. Maybe you're useless now, but if you keep practicing with a sword, and keep practicing your footwork, your form and purpose... You'll turn into something greater."

She glanced towards him, wondering if her words meant anything. She was no good at pep talks; why would she be? She'd been alone for so long, and in her hometown, certainly no one had come to her for advice. Still, she hoped Lochan would get something out of this. "I was a coward too," she murmured, speaking without thought. "I was a coward afraid of the fire within herself. I... I still am. I shouldn't be able to just... do the things I do, you know? But I can, and when I started accepting that, I stopped fearing getting burned. Sometimes, we just have to turn our fears into a different kind of energy."

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

His eyes softened slowly as he looked at her, listening to her words of encouragement. Perhaps she was right. Perhaps he could become something greater than he'd made himself out to be? Besides, for the first time since that fateful day, Lochan felt like he had something he wanted to protect, someone he would die for. It was also terrifying, having something to lose... But he would not fail this time.

Lochan met her eyes, staring deeply as he thought about everything she'd said, and who she was. Slowly he reached out, taking her tattooed had, this time without fear. "Thank you Mae. I don't know what I would do without you." He muttered softly. "Well, I have some theories." He said with a grim sort of laugh. He looked down a little, releasing her hand. "Where do we go from here?" He asked finally, still a bit shaken up with their encounter, but eager to move on and come up with a plan.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I don't know what I would do without you. Mae turned away at Lochan's words, overanalyzing them. Surely he didn't mean that? He attached a joke to the end, and Mae rode on it. "I'm sure you'd be peeking on other women bathing," she teased with a smirk. Still, her mind wandered. Did he think that highly of her? Why? No matter how many times she witnessed Lochan tell her he cared about her, she wasn't sure she'd ever actually believe it.

Now they had to decide where to go. Mae looked over Lochan and, noticing how shaky he still was, how uneven his breaths still were, she got an idea. She looked around, surveying the area, trying to make out any of her surroundings. How long until the next town or city? She turned back to Lochan. "I've an idea," she told him, "but I need you to trust me. We should try to find an inn for the night, get some rest. I think we both need it. Some come on."

They started off without any real direction. Mae figured they would stumble upon something sooner or later if they just kept walking in the same direction. Luckily, nothing bothered them on their walk, and with how tired they both were, neither said much. They walked for hours until finally Mae could see distant bonfires and lanterns and hear the chatter of civilization. Finally, they had made it.

They entered the large town and looked around. This place could almost be classified as a city, and as it prepared for sundown, smells of supper filled the air. Mae's stomach growled, and it led her through the streets and to a shop that was selling meat pies. She turned away hungrily, knowing it was better if she didn't waste the money. "This place is so alive," she murmured to Lochan, and it was then that she saw the square. There, several men were playing instruments while another danced before them. On a sign behind them was their name, The Dancing Daugherty's, as well as a small list of others who would be performing. "I think we found a concert," Mae said to Lochan. "Oh, can we watch? I love watching foreign dances. It gives me ideas for my own."

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan almost reeled when Mae turned away from him and suddenly he was going over what he'd just said in his head, wondering what could have offended her. Though a moment later, Mae was simply teasing him like always. Was he just overthinking things? Maybe he was just a little sensitive after the whirlwind of emotions he'd just gone through. He offered her a smile, though it seemed a little off, not quite reaching his eyes. "It's not normally a habit of mine, you know!" He grumbled playfully, but he still seemed on edge.

He watched as Mae took a look around, getting thier bearings, waiting to hear her decision. When she finally turned back to him, Lochan blinked curiously. "O-okay." He said slowly, surprised by the suggestion. He stared into her eyes and then nodded firmly. "I do."

Though he still had no idea how they were going to pay for an inn. Maybe they had enough money still, but did she really want to use the last of it on that? Lochan was quiet as they walked, his mind still swimming of thoughts of thier encounter with the dark one, what they would do after reaching town, and of Mae... He stared down at his feet for most of the time, until they reached a large town. His eyes widened a little, growing a little more eager now. A big town meant lots of people... usually lots of wealthy people.

His eyes searched the crowds, surprised to see it so lively even as night approached. He then blinked as Mae echoed his thoughts and smiled. "Yeah..." He said, sticking closer to her as they wandered through the crowds. He then noticed the performer and glanced to Mae, smiling at the way her eyes seemed to light up. "Sure, why not?" He said, smiling softly and looked around until he found a stone wall that was a little less crowded and drew her over to take a seat. "I think I'd much rather watch you dance though." He murmured softly in her ear as they sat down.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mae didn't hear Lochan's comment, or she chose to ignore it. She wriggled between a few people to get close to him against the wall. Instinctively, he foot tapped along to the beats of the song. Her brown eyes were glued to the dancer, a brawny man with wide shoulders who was light on his toes. The wanderer became enamored with how he held himself, how such an ungraceful size could appear so natural on the dance floor. She made mental notes to herself, a juvenile habit, of someday choreographing a dance and incorporating a dancer of this man's size.

Before she knew it, The Dancing Daugherty's had danced their last, and another group was taking their place. This one was an all-woman group, dainty things that swayed to a soft harp. The group after that played an upbeat tune, and it was then that Mae could no longer quiet the dance within her.

Mae kicked off the stone wall behind her and grabbed Lochan by the hand. "Come on now," she said to him, and she placed a firm hand on his waist. "You want to follow me," she said quietly, and she stepped right into tune with the song, as if she had practiced this dance for weeks instead of coming up with it on the spot. The cheery tune cause her pace to quicken, and she looked directly into Lochan's eyes, daring him to keep up. "You can't bring me to a festival like this and expect me to not dance," she said with a sly smile. "Let's practice your moves, yeah?"

She was a natural. As the music flowed through her veins, a light danced in her eyes. This was the kind of relaxation she needed. This was the break she needed from her mission, her crazy life fighting undead things. As she looked at Lochan, struggling to keep up, she let out a laugh. "Oh wouldn't you love to do this more?" she asked. "Maybe an even quicker step!" The more she danced, the more eyes she drew, not that she noticed. Only she and Lochan mattered in that moment, and she was loving it.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan smiled, watching excitedly beside Mae, though most of all, he was enjoying watching her. Her eyes were fixed on the dancer, studying his moves, and his eyes were fixed on her. It made his heart flutter to see that light in her eyes. Lochan soon began clapped along with the music, the joy of the festival goers making him forget all about the whirlwind of emotions he'd felt just that morning. However, he was startled as Mae leapt down from beside him and he blinked curiously as he was grabbed.

"W-what? W-wait Mae, I can't-" He gasped, immediately blushing as her hand grasped his waist. He barely had a moment before Mae was pulling him along into a lively dance. He was a little shaky on his feet, embarrassed by his missteps as he tried to keep up. But as he looked into her eyes, Lochan forgot all about 'steps' and just began to enjoy himself.

Soon the young man was grinning from ear to ear, learning to match her quickening steps. Of course, he would never be a graceful as Mae, but he managed to come up with a few moves of his own, hoping to surprise her. Taking her hands in his, he would twirl Mae into his arms and then spin together with her, their arms linked. The crowd began to take notice and soon they formed a circle around the pair to watch, clapping along in encouragement. His was panting, his hair falling loose and clinging to his damp skin, but he never once stopped grinning. "I could do this every day with you..." He breathed a reply, before letting out a breathless laugh.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mae didn't hear Lochan's protests, or she didn't acknowledge them. She could not be stilled with such music filling her with a need to move. She was delighted that Lochan eventually caught up with her, not quite keeping pace but giving his best effort. She'd make fun of him later, but now, she was grateful to finally have someone who even made an effort.

She was blind to the crowds gathering around them, and she only slowed her step when Lochan spoke to her. He was panting and his voice was breathy, but she still heard him perfectly. She was thrown off-guard, and Mae had to stop herself from tripping over her own two feet. A deep blush met her dark cheeks while she scrambled to catch herself. She stepped back into line, but his words lingered with her. He'd do this every day with her? Really? Despite all she was, this man, this commoner who had more reason to hate magic than even she did; he would spend every day with her dancing?

The music slowed to a stop, and it was only then that Mae noticed the crowds gathered around them. She awkwardly shifted, surprised that so many had gathered. She glanced to the band that had been playing and sent an apologetic look. She hadn't meant to take their thunder, but as people started to drop coins by her feet, she didn't regret it. She looked to Lochan, an eyebrow raised, and danced the donors. "Lochan," she said quietly, "I can have a dance thought out by tomorrow morning. We'll get you practicing, and I think we could actually get somewhere with this." Maybe setting up and dancing for a little while wouldn't have been such a bad idea. Mae didn't want the money, though she had to admit it was a nice benefit. She just wanted to perform, to show Lochan and her audiences her choreography, and if Lochan was really willing to do this... She shook her head, and with it her silly thoughts. All the couples she'd seen dancing, all the pairs who ended their magnificent performances with a kiss, with a look of true love... Mae looked back to Lochan's eyes. Stuff like that wasn't possible for her, but a girl could dream.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As the song came to a end, unfortunately so did their dance. He was panting heavily, his heart racing, but a grin was still plastered on his face. Especially when he saw the way Mae's cheeks warmed. He finally broke his gaze away from his lovely dance partner, glancing around them in awe at the crowd they'd gathered. He too was surprised by the money tossed to them and his grin widened even more.

Lochan then blinked as Mae adressed him, turning his attention back to her with a curious look. It took him a few moments to really catch on to what she was saying, but then his eyes widened. "R-really?" He gasped and then suddenly grasped her by the waist, lifting her up and twirling her for a moment and then setting her down. "I think you'll be amazing..." He murmured softly then, staring into her eyes. The same thought seemed to cross his mind, his gaze dropping to her lips, and yet he was still hesitant. He didn't want to ruin such a nice moment by offending her, so instead her took her hands in his and kissed her knuckles lightly. With a soft smirk, Lochan then bowed to the people and started to collect the money tossed to them. "I think we will have plenty here for a comfortable room and a nice hot meal."

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 LastLast