Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] A Light in the Dark [Ashen & Midoripickle]

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The long seconds when he didn't speak were agonizing. Mae hated the conflicting opinions in her mind, and she wished Lochan would speak so that they may quiet or she may have another sound to concentrate on. Finally he did, and he seemed gentle, understanding even. The wanderer looked him over. He was trusting her, from the sounds of things. Despite it all, he was still standing by her, ready to take her side. Mae could feel the lump in her throat start to rise, but when she saw him lift an arm, offer a hand to her, Mae fell to her knees.

The tears came all at once, light dewdrops racing down Mae's face. She tried to wipe them, but they were too numerous, and she was uselessly dampening her sleeve. Mae cursed herself for the pathetic outburst, but she couldn't help it. This man, this mere thief who had joined her on a whim, upon finding out she was one and the same as those who had murdered his family; he still wanted to be with her, to support her. She couldn't understand why. Mae wanted to ask him, but the words wouldn't come. Instead she sat, silently sobbing, for a few minutes, until finally the tears died away and she was left alone with her friend.

"I'm sorry," she finally announced. Mae got to her feet, legs wobbly, and avoided eye contact with Lochan. Her eyes were still glossed over, her cheeks damp, and she stood, embarrassed, before him. She cleared her throat. "I've never had someone like you in my life, Lochan," she mumbled. "Anyone else would have left, if not by now, then definitely after that. You're... You're something special, and I'm not certain I deserve you here."

She spent a moment straightening herself. Mae looked out at the field around them. "I don't use it much," she reasoned. "There's too much risk in its backfiring. I've mastered minor spells, like the fire earlier, but I try not to use them much before I hate who they make me into." She tapped her book lightly. "Every spell in the whole world is in here, I'm sure. That's what all those words are, incantations and ingredients. Experienced mages don't quite need those things, especially not for easy spells. There are white magic spells in here too, but I never got the hang of them. I seem to specialize in black magic, but I have a decent grasp of fire and lightning magic, and I've successfully pulled off ice, earth, and wind as well." She turned to him, finally looking at him. "So there I am. Maybe now that I won't have to hide, we can find a use for all that. For now... Maybe we should get going before I have another breakdown."
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Member of the Month!
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

His breath caught as Mae fell and he bought himself down to his knees in front of her. He frowned deeply, not knowing what to do or say to comfort the woman weeping in front of him. He wanted to hold her, to wipe away her tears, but he was afraid touching her mind only upset her more. Were they tears of happiness, or joy? He couldn't quite tell and it bothered him to feel so useless at a time like this.

Finally she seemed to calm, at least enough to speak and get back up on her feet. He too got up slowly, awed by her words. She thought he was special... and that she didn't deserve him. No one had ever said such a thing to him before, even if it wasn't true.

He listened to her further explain all her powers and what she was capable of. It was both impressive and a bit terrifying to be honest. Though something she'd said stuck out to him and suddenly his eyes widened. "I-in the field... That strange bolt of lightning... That was you, wasn't it?" He said, realization dawning in his deep blue eyes. "You saved me back then..." He murmured with a warm expression on his face. "Even if it's 'black magic', you can still choose to use it for good." He told her softly, glad to see her able to face him again.

At her suggestion he paused, looking to the stars and the moon. "Get going? But it's kind of late, isn't it? How about we just find a good place to rest, and I can get a fire going." He suggested, lightly brushing his hand against the small of her back, lightly guiding her towards the forest. As they walked slowly, Lochan wondered how he'd ended up falling for a mage. But here he was and he couldn't say he wished for anything to be different.

He didn't want to stray too far from the river, as it was a good source of water, but it would be good to get some cover as well. They only went a few yards from the river until they came upon a small clearing surrounded by some younger trees. "This looks good, don't you think?" He suggested, then began to wander around, gathering as many fallen branches as he could hold. He snapped a few over his knee until they were a good size and then gathered them in the center. "Hmm... I need a good starter..." He murmured, looking for something dry enough, before it suddenly dawned on him. Lochan suddenly looked up at Mae and smiled. "Unless... you want to do the honor?" He teased, hoping to lighten the mood after such a serious talk.
    Last edited by Midori-Hime; 12-19-2018 at 04:04 AM.

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mae raised a brow at Lochan's realization. She had nearly forgotten about that field, about the trouble they had gotten into and her taboo to get them out of it. She nodded meekly, shrugging a bit. She had saved him with her magic, the same magic that had ruined her life and stolen so many others. Maybe Lochan was right; maybe having this ability didn't make her evil at her core.

She looked around them, at the forest where so much had happened. Mae shifted, wondering what they should do. She was worried just staying here would remind her of it all, the betrayal from moments ago. Even if Lochan had come back, the thought that he might not have had created such a pain in her chest that it was still seeping out. But she had other memories; their picnic and their dance lesson and their sword lesson. Maybe a night in a forest wouldn't be so bad, after all. Mae let Lochan lead her deeper into the forest, to a place of youthful trees and brush. "This looks alright, sure," she replied. "Nature looks so new here. I wonder if there might be a forest spirit around." She was joking, not much a believer in spirits and the like, but she had to admit, she liked the idea of having someone watching over her through the night.

They began to settle down and Lochan started looking for some wood to burn. Mae wanted to help, but she felt exhaustion creep up on her like a great enemy. Getting so much off her chest at once proved to be taxing, and she wanted nothing more than to sleep. When Lochan returned with firewood, Mae looked up at him, an eyebrow raised. She smirked at what he was offering. "Using me now, are we?" she asked, but she was already removing her glove. In a few short moments, the fire returned to Mae's hands. She got up and stood over the firewood, then dropped the flame onto it. The orange ribbons slipped from her fingers like liquid, landing on the wood and torching it. Mae took a step back, satisfied. They had a fire that would last several hours. "Child's play," she said. "What else can I do for you, Your Highness?"

She was back to joking, and it was clear in the way she smirked at him and spoke sarcastically. She moved to slip her glove back on, but she decided against it and instead put it into her pocket. The tattoo was glowing brightly. "It glows when there are evil beings around, too," she said. "Maybe, at least when we're alone like this, it'd be better to not cover it up." She sat next to the fire and sighed. "I'm really beat," Mae admitted. "It's been such a long day, but you know... I'm glad it happened." She looked Lochan over, his new shirt, his exhausted face. "I can't much call you breedbate now, can I?" she teased. "Not in that shirt I can't. Ah, well. You'll still be my breedbate, we'll just have to work on getting that shirt off of you more." She cast a mischievous glance his way. Mae shook her head and collapsed back on the grass. "Even if I weren't joking, I feel too tired to move. What do you say about turning in?"
    Last edited by Ashen; 01-04-2019 at 08:48 PM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan smiled sheepishly before looking down at her hand curiously, as Mae removed the glove. His eyes wandered over the marking, having no clue of it's meaning and watched in wondered as it glowed. As fearful as he had been just a few minutes ago, Lochan now marveled at Mae and her powers. For the first time in his life, he was perhaps beginning to see mages in a new light. After all, if Mae was a mage, then that meant that not all mages were evil at their core. They weren't all slaves to His bidding.

Watching the flame that Mae had conjured lap at the wood and gradually grow into a warm, crackling fire, Lochan was too absorbed to realize Mae had spoken. He chuckled at her joke, once he'd broken away from his deep thoughts. It made him happy to see her in such a light mood once again. "That's quite helpful..." He muttered then, his gaze flickering back to the strange mark on her hand once again. Lochan was about to agree, but he simply smiled, nodding softly. "I agree..." He replied, glad in the end that Mae had opened up to him and was still with him now.

However, the warm smile on his face quickly fell away. "I still don't get what you mean by that!" He whined, before looking down at his own shirt curiously. Though her next comment had him blushing and he looked up sharply, just in time to catch the devilish look. His blush only deepened and he watched as Mae laid back. "Yeah... That's probably a good idea." He agreed, though he seemed hesitant about something. Finally Lochan scooted a little closer until he laid back beside her. "It'll be easier to keep warm... if we stay close." He suggested, not quite meeting her eyes.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mae chuckled quietly at Lochan's outburst. She loved that he was clueless about her nickname for him. In a way, she felt that it meant more that way. Instead of just the low-born thief the moniker implied, it also meant he was clueless and feisty, that he was so Lochan. It was a unique name for him now, and despite how low-born Lochan no longer looked, Mae would continue to use the name, to get under his skin.

She let out a long sigh and closed her eyes, but suddenly she felt Lochan beside her. She opened her eyes again and looked at him, at the rising blush on his cheeks and the averted gaze. Mae chuckled softly and pulled him closer to her. She draped an arm around him and sighed again. "I think we will be plenty warm," she said quietly. With her leg she moved his so that it was sandwiched between hers. She thought to nuzzle against his chest but stopped herself; she could already feel how nervous he was, and she did not want to make him worse. Mae closed her eyes again, and for a moment she drew in his warmth. "Good night, Lochan," she breathed. "Sleep well."

Mae awoke to find herself in total darkness. She figured she was in a dream not long after; it was far too silent to be reality. She tried to step forward but found her whole body paralyzed. In the distance, a figure came into view. It was Lochan, clothless, standing bare and bruised. She tried calling out to him, but her voice faded just as soon as it left her mouth. A larger figure appeared behind Lochan, its dark, wispy appendages reaching for the helpless thief. Deep red eyes glared at Mae. "You told him," the figure said, and Mae recognized the voice. "He cannot know." In the next moment, a blur of black shadows moved across Lochan's throat, slicing it. His head fell to the floor with a deafening thunder, and blood spattered all around the now decapitated body. Mae's screams, too, were drowned out, this time by a mighty laugh from a great necromancer.

Mae woke up screaming. She grabbed at her knees and rocked herself to calm down. In a minute she silenced herself, remembering where she was. She'd known it was a dream, but the sight of this man, the only man she'd trusted, lifeless and destroyed... Mae turned to Lochan, whom she had undoubtedly woken up. "I'm sorry," she mumbled. Voices scolded her from the depths of her mind, but she didn't need them to tell her how guilty she needed to feel. "Just another nightmare, I'm fine, I..." She looked around them, at the forest they'd slept in. It seemed darker here now, as if...

The mage caught sight of her hand, now glowing a soft violet. She sighed. "Lochan," she mumbled. "We are not alone. Their presence is weak, but still, be wary." She groggily got up and looked around. The forest was silent. "If you wish to go back to sleep, I can keep watch. I don't mind. I... I don't think I'll be falling asleep again soon."

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

His stormy blue eyes widened as he felt Mae draw him closer, wrapping her arms around him. And then just as he turned to face her, his breath caught, feeling his leg being cradled between hers. He didn't dare move, not wanting to do anything that might seem too forward, but then... perhaps he didn't have to worry about that. Lochan then blinked as Mae simply wished him a good night and closed her eyes. Despite his anxiety from the closeness, the warmth was extremely comforting and it wouldn't be long before he drifted to sleep, his arms wrapping around Mae in turn and drawing her in to his chest.

It was a peaceful sleep, which was unfortunately interrupted by a horrifying shrieking. Lochan's eyes snapped open, his heart pounding as he tried to figure out what was happening in his sleepy haze. He bolted up right, immediately searching for Mae until he realized she was the one screaming. But why? He scooted closer as the woman rocked herself, yet he couldn't see anything threatening them in the dim glow of the fire. "M-mae, what is it? What's wrong?" He murmured, his hands reaching for her but then he paused, not wanting to upset her even more.

But then finally she turned towards him and he couldn't hold himself back anymore, gently placing his hands over her shoulders. "It's alright... I know how that is..." He murmured softly with a warm smile, hoping to comfort her in some way. Though as she said they weren't alone, he immediately drew her closer, his eyes searching the trees around them. He was reluctant to let her go, but then he knew she was the one who could actually protect them. That realization bothered him once again. "No... I don't think I can either..." He murmured. Even if he felt secure enough to sleep again, he wouldn't feel right when Mae was the one watching over him.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Lochan was understanding, and Mae wondered how she had become so lucky as to find him. She noticed the way he reached for her but thought against it, and she wondered if that was more for him or for her. Brushing it off, she was about to get up when she felt his arms on either side of her. Mae paused, startled, but she soon relaxed. His touch was warm, safe. She smiled back at him, and her smile only grew when he pulled her nearer. Mae silently swore at whatever dark being was around them, whatever was driving her away from her Lochan.

Lochan had to let go, and Mae was able to draw her sword. She was silent as she surveyed the forest. She didn't hear or see anything, but then, she recalled countless times when she had not heeded her hand's warning and had gained a new scar as a result. Mae walked over to the small trees around them and waited. Her hand was still glowing, but why? She made her way back to Lochan with a shrug. "I don't know what's here," she mumbled. "I doubt it would be a false alarm, but..." Mae turned her eyes up, to a blue sky half-hidden by trees. She saw the sun rising, but beyond that, she saw a curious purple cloud. "Lochan," she said quietly, motioning her chin towards the sight. "I think I found it."

It was hard to see through the forest, but the dark cloud seemed to be coming from the ground. There was a darker, larger cloud at its base, and Mae wondered what could be there. She reached for her bag with her beaten book and opened it to a page without pictures. Mae's eyes soared over the pages, searching for anything about this fog. "Tenenomu*," she said suddenly. "Tenenomu comes from the more powerful dark magics, almost like a byproduct of the spells. It's toxic, and unless it's dispelled, it never goes away." Mae looked up at Lochan. "We have to stop it," she announced. "Or it'll reach the forest, and civilizations..." She packed up her book and grabbed her bags. "Not the wakeup call I would have wanted, but I guess today is a day for adventure."

* tenenomu - from Mae's language, translated as "poison bog"
    Last edited by Ashen; 02-02-2019 at 10:21 PM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan watched her draw her sword, searching the trees and he stood as well, keeping his eyes and ears open for any sign that something was out there. But then Mae turned to him with a perplexed shrug and he relaxed just a little. "But... There's no immediate danger?" He suggested to finish her thought. However, hearing Mae call his name, Lochan quickly followed the motion of her gesture, his eyes catching sight of the strange, ominous cloud.

"What... is that?" He asked, squinting his eyes slightly in an attempt to get a better look. Though it was hard to in the dim light. He then looked back to Mae at the sound of rustling paper, watching her curiously. Now he understood why that book had been so important to her. Lochan then blinked suddenly at the foreign word, stepping closer as Mae went on to explain it's meaning. His eyes then widened. "Stop it?" He knew what she said was true. So many innocent lives could be taken by this thing. But... "How are we going to stop it?"

He watched her pack her things and he too moved to quickly grab the rest of thier things. Perhaps Mae would be able to disspell the tenenomu with her own power, but it was still cause for concern.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Lochan's question drummed intrusively at the back of her mind. Mae knew they had to halt this death cloud, they had to save all the innocent people near and far, but she had no idea how to dissipate such a dark magic. White magic was their best bet, but Mae had never been any good at that, and anyone who might have been was most definitely too afraid of the taboo surrounding magic to say anything. What did that leave them with? A thief half-decent with a sword and a mage who could only add her own ugly darkness to this problem? Mae bit her lip, not knowing how to respond.

She kept going, however. Even if she didn't know what to do, she figured they had to get moving. "First thing's first," she announced while running towards the death cloud, "we have to stop whatever the source is. I don't know what could possibly be making a fog so big, and so... thick. Whatever it is, we have to stop that." As they exited the forest, more of the fog came into view. Even from the distance, Mae could see how dark and thick it was, Was she getting in over her head? Absolutely. She was dragging Lochan along, too. But deep down, she knew she had to get to this cloud for another reason. A dark mage capable of such a deadly toxin; it had to be the Dark Lord, and she sought his company.

They made their way to the base of the cloud, to a village enveloped by it. Mae lingered outside the grasps of the purple haze. How would they even approach? She caught a whiff of the gas, and instantly she felt herself grow nauseous. She backed away, dizzy. "Be careful," she begged Lochan. She turned back to the village. Distantly she could hear people screaming, but their cries were being drowned out, as if the fog were a black hole. From the depths of it, she could see a large, dark figure. Its shadowy limb was pouring into the mouth of a dead person. Within moments, the corpse rose, a hungry look in its eye. "Reanimation?" she murmured. It was the Great Necromancer; she'd made it.

But Mae knew she couldn't expose Lochan to this quite yet. She stepped away again. "Lochan," she called quietly. "I think that's him." She was trying to keep her voice level, give nothing away. "Maybe we're out of our league," she continued. "Maybe we should try to get some help. We... We can't face him alone." If she could just lead him away, maybe she could meet with him alone. Filled with a new lust, Mae was too distracted by her goals, by how close she was.

~Recruitment Thread~

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lochan waited, but instead of giving a response, Mae just started rushing towards the death cloud. "M-mae?!" He called after her, but had no choice but to follow. As they ran past the line of trees to the base of the ominous cloud, he tensed, watching the heavy, purple vapor loom over the unfortunate village. It was even more intimidating now and he wondered how, if they couldn't get rid of this horrendous, deadly mist, they were possibly going to stop the cause of it. His eyes widened as he watched Mae back away, getting too close for comfort. "You be careful!" He retorted, moving closer to her almost protectively.

He was too concerned for Mae to see what she saw, blinking curiously as she mumbled something. It was then he looked up, looking between Mae as she backed up and the dark figure at the center of the fog. Then suddenly he tensed all over. Him... Lochan suddenly felt a cold sweat come over his body as he stared at the dark shadow with a horrible mixture of fear and rage. The dark mage that had murdered his family in cold blood. The dark one would have killed him too...

Lochan's breaths became uneven and he trembled as he stared into the center of the fog, fighting between the urge to rush a blade into his heart, or to run for his life, knowing that he wouldn't stand a chance. Finally Mae's voice seemed to reach him and Lochan's gaze snapped to her somewhat frantically. "Y-yeah... you're right." He muttered, sighing as he gave in to his fear. But he wasn't stupid enough to think that he could do anything to avenge his family. As it was, he'd probably die from the purple mist before he even got close to the Dark One.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast