Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank the star-Wars films

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Star Wars. The original, where Han shoots first.

Empire Strikes Back.

Return of the Jedi.

These are the only three that count. Everything else is a pale shadow (the prequels) or a clone with the exact same plot as the first Star Wars, but told by SJWs instead.

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Lots of things, but especially anything with princesses. :3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

hmm... I'd have to go with

VII
    V
    VI
    III
    IV
    II
    I

I'm sure that with enough effort, Star Wars, like anything else in the history of ever, could be dissected to the Nth degree and you could nitpick every little this and that that you perceived as wrong with it, but I'll (try to) keep it simple.
    Maybe it was the slow pace or the boring fight scenes and origin stories, but IV never really did it for me. I do feel like III gets a lot of undeserved hate probably due to its association with its brethren in the Prequel Trilogy (and Anakin's actor), and while plenty of it is warranted, I do like how it tied everything together as the Jedi Order fell apart and the Galactic Empire rose to power. IV felt a little too "linear good" or "linear evil", and so maybe that's part of where my slight distaste for it as opposed to some of the others, came from. it's still considerably better than II and I (admittedly, a low bar, I know), but I recall it being slow, and just not overly memorable other than Obi-Wan giving Luke the lightsaber, and the destruction of Alderaan and the Death Star. Maybe I just need to watch it again.

With the bottom four out of the way, let's turn to the top. V tops VI not just because there are less Ewoks, but the stuff that went down in V that also kind of gets me stoked for VIII. I felt like there was a buildup of plenty of tension that would inevitably get resolved in VI, but even then, it was a considerable step up from its predecessor, and I remembered a lot more of it.
    Many people including myself have a tendency to like "the latest volume" of something for a while after its release, and so maybe this is what's afflicting me, maybe not. (it did happen with Harry Potter back in 2007, but since then my favorite book of the series has gone back to being Chamber of Secrets. but I digress.) VII to me what what IV should have been. I felt like it set up a lot of things rather nicely while staying interesting (and the fight scenes were 200% less boring than they were in IV). so while sure it might be IV 2.0, or dare someone say it "SJW edition", I really can't bring myself to care. Kylo Ren reminds me of Zuko from Avatar. an angsty emo douchebag with minimal self-control who, in the opening book, does not present himself as a very likable individual. That might change for better or for worse in VIII or IX, but as things stand, he reminds me of Zuko. Also, Rey's a cutie, but more relevantly, I'm sure one of the future episodes is going to explain who the hell she is and where the hell she came from and what the hell her significance is. VII is definitely the groundwork-layer akin to IV, and since V was phenomenally better than IV, perhaps VIII will have the same effect on VII.

but of course, all of this is entirely just opinion rather than an attempt to prove others wrong or a diatribe waiting for someone else to prove it wrong. Just something to think about.

[P.S. Han shot first. he always shoots first.]
    Last edited by Zulera301; 05-13-2016 at 03:46 AM.
    'The Crown of Zivia' Word Count: 64319
    'The Crusade of Zulera' Word Count: 52548
    'The Shadows of Shinzoka' Word Count: 51000
    'The Rebirth of Krippa' Word Count: 51000
    'The Seer of Koldia' Word Count: 49114

The Avatar in Chains (fanfic)
    Z. Zu. Zul. Zuzu. Zuly. Zulera. Lulu. 301. Zu-Zu. ZZ-Top. Zuliette. Zuley. Zulz. Zuul. Zubat. 'Lera. Zulianne. Z301. Z-hizzle. Z-dawg. Zulerey. Zully. Zulio. Luz. Ra-ra. Z-swiss. Zulera301.

RPA's Hedonist
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mmmeeehhhhh

Empire
    Hope
    Return
    Phantom
    Revenge
    Awakens
    Clones

2Spooky4U
    Mostly Fantasy and Parody, and some Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

I'm gonna have to say:

V
    IV
    VII
    VI
    III
    I
    II

Empire and Hope are tied for my favorite, for obvious reasons. I really enjoyed Force Awakens and am excited for Ep. VIII. Return was ok, but not as good as the first 2. Prequels were... meh. We get it Anakin, you don't like sand.

and dreadfully distinct/against the dark a tall white fountain played

Art Thread
    |Ask me stuff|My Characters

Spoiler: Quotes, sets, gamertags, things to click on 

fantasy, sci fi, modern fantasy, modern, fandom
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

For me, it would be:

I like all of them, but nothing beats the original trilogy. I think the prequel trilogy would have been better if they did them closer to the original trilogy (as in not doing them 20 years later) or did those first and then the original trilogy. While TFW was good, I wish they didn't make it so similar to ANH. I don't mind the Empire resurging and don't mind the Resistance coming back, but at least do something different with it, stray from ANH's plot and make it stand on its own. I'm hoping 8 and 9 aren't too similar to TESB or ROTJ because then what would be the point of doing the sequel trilogy?

Set by Kicks

3Spooky5U
    Science Fiction/Slice of Life/Fandom
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

So, I reread this thread and I have a question. Why is VII an SJW movie? Does the presence of a female or poc lead automatically make it an "sjw movie"?

Griffin / Gumbo / Gambit / Griff

Fantasy, Futuristic, and anything else to mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like the movies sequel from the Star Wars: A New Hope, to Stars Wars: The Force Awakens.

Although I have to prefer to watch the first three that was created. Picking the right cast, including the voice of Darth Vader was my favorite actor. James Earl Jones. From what I watched about the making, they had to use a tall, but average built guy who had a accent of a either Englishmen, or Irish. I sort of forgot which one.

Han Solo played by Harrison Ford is also one of my favorite actors. The guy played a good sarcastic and joker character of the series. I mean, come on! Who says. "Everything is fine here control...how are you?" I'm glad he was back for the Force Awakens, but sad and angry of how he was killed.

Month the of Member November
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    So, I reread this thread and I have a question. Why is VII an SJW movie? Does the presence of a female or poc lead automatically make it an "sjw movie"?
    A good question. I honestly don't think the use of ethnic minorities was in any way strange, certainly no stranger than if they had done a film populated by only white people. also I did not think it unrealistic for the character of Rey to be female. aside from being on average a little bit shorter, a disadvantage reaching things off tall shelves, women as a whole have pretty much the same capability as men. certainly there is nothing in female dna to say a woman couldn't use a light-sabre or fly a spaceship.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I don't know if this is intentional, but I notice nobody is including Rogue One anywhere.
    Anyways...

1. New Hope
    2. Rogue One
    3. Force Awakens
    4. Empire
    5. Returns
    6. Revenge
    7. Clone Wars
    8. Phantom Menace

This is mostly a concept-based list rather than a cinematography list.

VI: Introduces universe and is a self-contained story.
    RO : Military adventure, breaks with light-versus-dark narrative (good in measured doses), non-Jedi story (good), self-contained story (bad part).
    VII: Decent, this for some of the complaints, though tbh I was pretty apathetic when I left the theater.
    V: Decent, drags after Hoth and exists only because IV and VI allow it to. Has really good moments
    VI: Actually concludes series by killing villains, but only ok overall.
    III: Brownie points for clones and Jedi. Most glorious moment in SW history.
    II edges above I purely by virtue of the clones, but they are essentially cesspit-fighting by that point for the Better-CGI award with the clones competing against the droids.
    Last edited by Imperial1917; 11-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Spoiler: Around the Forum 

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 Episode 4
    2 Episode 5
    3 Episode 3
    4 Episode 2
    5 Rogue 1
    6 Solo
    6 Episode 1
    7 Episode 6
    8 Episode 7