Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RPA Tribune! Issue #22: June 2016

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

Default The RPA Tribune! Issue #22: June 2016

Ahh, summer is here - well, for most of you, anyway. BUT the sun is shining (today) in Aussie-land as I sit on my back deck, and the grass is starting to come through a nice green in my garden, now that the floodwaters have receded.

SO - what better morning (okay, it's after midday but I work late nights, alright?!) to put together the new Tribune issue. Here you go, folks;

(I think Karma made this banner just to rub it in.. *puts on another jumper*)

As the year draws on, exciting times are approaching for RPA - we have some big events in the latter half of 2016, and June has been a peaceful interim; no mess, no fuss, just good old fashioned fun and rp. Of course, there's always something awesome happening here, so here's the;

Breaking News!!!

The long-standing and long-deserving Sinderella has been given the honour of Member of the Month for June - this lovely lady can now add this title to a score of other awards; two-time winner of the Princess, as well as best signature and sexiest female member in previous RPA Awards - woot woo! Go and congratulate her before the month is out!!

Speaking of awards... the Member Events section sure has been quiet; let's hope we get some exciting new things happening there soon! *nudge, nudge.*

You might have also noticed a new green name around these parts - Dnafein has crossed over to the dark staff side! We're one mod closer to finally beating you guys in staff vs members!!

The Lighthouse
    from Kiki's Saccharine Fire.

Like ships in the night
    We've passed many times before
    The significance of which only now
    Draws me to your shore.

Perhaps within the same room
    Perhaps in the same breath
    We've rubbed shoulders metaphorically
    But never in the same bed.

And you're drawn to my light
    As I am drawn to you
    Who says you can't have all you want
    With something of a view?

So I shower you with sunshine
    And we bathe within the glow
    Of something new, but not so foreign,
    Something scary, but we know.

So I'll stand here like a lighthouse
    Gazing at sea just like your eyes
    Wanting, wishing, hoping,
    That the passion never dies.

For I stand here tall upon this ledge
    Strong, and made of unfeeling blocks
    My will on the horizon guiding you
    So you don't smash upon the rocks.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

by G

Once upon a time you were born for greatness. There was destiny, a greater plot and a role that you fulfilled. The weavers of fate spun you in their webs and gave you hope. But then…there was pause. And it lingered, and all time stilled…the quest ended so quickly…so…incorrectly…so…incomplete.

How many stories have been left unfinished? How many characters created, who never reached their destiny? We assumed that was the end. Their time had finished, their story left untold. They would fade into the depths of their incomplete roleplays, and be replaced with new creations, new stories.

But what if it wasn't the end? What if a new destiny awaited them?

In 'The Reborn: Finishing What Was Started', they are given exactly that. Forgotten characters from incomplete rps are pulled from their universes of origin, and plunged into a new adventure, travelling through the worlds of multiple rps in a desperate attempt to solve the mysteries presented in each new world; and to find their way back to where they belong. Running for over a year now, this imaginative and outside-the-box creation by Minkasha is teeming with mystery and mayhem, and well worth a read by anyone looking for an interesting adventure.

Here's a taste of the IC :

Gina felt a sudden, horrible lurch in her stomach - half as if the floor had just dropped out from under her, and half as if someone had just kicked her in the gut. She staggered sideways, half into Bestie, and almost crushed the other girl's hand as she automatically grabbed her tighter in an attempt to keep her balance.

"Gigi!" Bestie yelped. "What'th...?"

On the balcony, prince Panos staggered too. He had his hands on Lycas's shoulders, and a spatter of red droplets had appeared on the emperor's face. Panos tottered backwards as another line of red trickled down his back, diamonds raining from the severed netting of his dress. The backs of his legs hit the balcony railing, went out from under him, and he fell.

"Oh my godth!" Bestie screamed in panic as the prince toppled into the crowd below. Next to the girls, two guards fumbled for their sidearms. Bestie tried to pull Gina and Cal away while she still had a hold on their hands. The former princess gave no resistance, staring wide-eyed at the horrific scene unfolding before them. Her arm throbbed with the arrival of the new mark, and there was an ache in her belly.. or was it her heart?

"Get down, get down!" Gina urged Bestie, unfreezing as the guards barged forward with guns held low. Gina half pressed Gigi's friend to her knees herself as she tore her hand out of the other young woman's grip. "Stay here." she advised. "Cal, come on!"

Cal disentangled herself, leaving the whimpering Bestie behind. Gina began to run towards the balcony, her heels less of an obstacle than the constricting red dress as she tried to push her way through the panicking, surging crowd. She stumbled into a sudden clearing, and saw why when she registered Baka lying prone on the ballroom floor. The abdomen of his humble clothes was soaked through with red.

"No!" Gina said aloud as she reeled to the boy's side. "No no no no no, fuck!"

I shouldn't have left him alone! I shouldn't have left him alone!

She dropped to her knees beside him and jabbed her thumbs into his collarbone to try and get a reaction. "Baka! Baka can you hear me?"

Cal dodged between the fleeing revellers to where Gina stood, her eyes fixed on Baka's corpse. She felt numb - death and chaos where not new experiences for her, and her defence mechanism was to freeze herself against it, but a solitary tear still escaped her right eye. It rolled down her face to leave a small, damp spot on the floor.

Baka lay there still and glassy eyed. Pushing her hand against the bullet hole in his stomach to try and staunch the bleeding, Gina went through her worse than useless first-aider's checks. Baka's airway was clear, but she couldn't feel him breathing - and the blood oozing from his stomach had no pressure behind it. She would have started doing compressions anyway, had a strong hand not seized her upper arm and pulled her away from the body.

"Hey-!" she began, and twisted round to see one of the cloaked guards trying to pull her close so that he could shield her with his body. Jostled by the guard as he moved to grab Gina, Cal fell, her knees striking the cold floor painfully next to where Baka lay.The guard however didn't seem to notice - he was bald, stony-faced, and if he thought it strange that Lady Gigi and her attendant were running to the aid of a dead slave, he did not show it. His eyes were on the emperor, who still stood in immobilised shock up on the balcony, Panos' blood spattered across his face.

The crowd surged again as people screamed and ran for the doors. The press in front of them briefly parted, and Gina saw another guard standing in the middle of the ballroom, this one tall and handsome in his ceremonial garb. He too was looking up at the emperor, with tears in his dark eyes. But this man's arm was outstretched and he was pointing a gun - sleek and black and lethal.
    Want more?? You can read the full In Character thread here.

If you haven't had a chance to check them out yet, here's a recap of the roleplays that have been featured this month; If you'd like to see your roleplay featured in future, make sure you submit it for consideration!

“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” "On the Road", Jack Kerouac

In the summer of 1979 Bethany Petra Roads went missing near her home in Azlu, Washington. The police search for her turned up no clues and eventually it was thought she had been kidnapped. Three weeks after her disappearance her friends discovered a letter that lead them on a hunt, that took them further from home than any of them had ever been.

This is that story.

Where the Road Takes

-

A terrorist group releases a deadly virus to combat over population, thinking to reduce the number of people on the planet. Only their calculations are wrong and far more people are culled then anticipated, reducing the human population by 90%. Sending the world into a second dark age. Now two hundred years later a virus very similar has appeared. A group of brave souls have banded together to venture into the forbidden cities in search of a cure.

Will they find it in time or will it be the end of the human race?

Lost Angels

-

The year is 3016 and humanity has successfully become one with the stars. Humans have ascended and colonized the Moon, Mars, and almost every other planet in their Solar System. Each of the inhabited planets were flourishing and none even came close to being fully populated. Outposts had been established through the solar system for operations such as mining from the Asteroid belts, observing and studying anomalies in space and researching the countless amount of debris that drifted in from the deeper parts of space. One of these such stations, overseeing a mining operation just past the Mars colonies, has recently gone silent. One day they were talking, the next, gone....

Vantablack

-

Cole Mcgrath, the first well-known Conduit in the world, sacrificed his love-Trish-and in the end his own life to make things right in the world. In response, the world declared all other Conduits that currently were, or ever would be in existence, to be 'Bio-Terrorists', for the destructive natre of their powers. Sacrifice, it seems, has gone completely unthanked once again in human history, as it always is...

But no more. A new Conduit has entered the world spotlight, one which has, for the first time, forced the world to unite it's efforts to learn how to contain or eradicate the Bio-Terrorist threat. His identity is unknown, his face not registered in any known database, and the only name by which anyone knows him is Hanei. The U.N. has formed a team of experienced members of the US's DUP, and other experienced 'Bio-Terrorist" fighters, as well as a handful of "Bio-Terrorists" who were 'volunteered' to assist in taking down this Hanei.

Rumors amongst the hopeful persist that a new Hero Conduit is attempting to repair the damages caused by Hanei, and that he is the first Conduit in almost a decade to have control over electricity. And yet, Cole McGrath had no known children...

Infamous: Sacrifice's End

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

by NotWhoIWas
    First up is P.K.
    1. Who is your hero?
    uh... Honestly? Jesus.
    2. What makes you laugh the most?
    uh... funny things? Like quirks that characters have and display, the antics of animals and occasionally stupid people doing stupid things.
    3. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
    well lets see... there's 1,2 pairs of church shoes, 1 pair of crap slip on shoes, 3 pairs of normal shoes, and maybe two pairs of flip flops?
    4. If you were a superhero, what powers would you have?
    That's a hard questions, there are so many out there I used to love shifting, animal shifting. But what about.. San's Gaster blasters and teleportation!
    5. What are you doing this summer?
    eh? I don't know, got no plans that I know of. going back home and helping my family move I guess.

Up next is, Derpnaster
    1. Who is your hero?
    Myself, Looking back, I've seen some stuff man School was hell and more than once I considered the quick way out. The fact that I haven't gives me enough reason to look up to myself.
    Dank Memes that make ironic sense for the given situation.
    Four, One for everyday wear, one for Sunday wear, One for professional wear, one for outdoors
    The ability to socialize like a normal person, or lasers, lasers are always a good fallback.
    As we speak, sitting in the southwestern US Writing a campaign for AD&D and dreading the end of my two weeks off from school.

And the great- Tolvo
    1. Who is your hero?
    My hero was always Robin Williams. The way he could show such great empathy for others, make people laugh, and express such a wide array of personality and character across his various roles.
    Puns! I love puns! I make them almost constantly and everyone around me doesn't like it.
    I only own one pair of shoes unfortunately. Just gym shoes, I don't really go out much nor do I have good feet for shoes but some day I'd like to own a few pairs for different outfits and looks.
    Definitely shapeshifting! So that I could make myself look how I desire, and live a much better life as who I truly am. As well when I flow into different identities I could then change my body to match. It'd also probably be great for my acting career
    Raising my puppy, trying to lose weight, writing for sites and doing activism. Also probably playing a bunch of video games.

Up next is....Eddren
    1. Who is your hero?
    Raistlin Majere. This guy was almost broken by the people testing him, had just about every powerful figure he'd come into contact trying to shaft him, and in the end, through sheer cunning, overcame them all and did what everyone else thought was impossible.
    Bad russian accents, put to poorly photoshopped faces of people pasted onto the body of some guy in a video-game? Really, any sort of joke that's just not worth the time and effort involved in making it. It's the back-end stuff that really counts.
    ...Two? Do boots count? If so, then three. A pair of loafers I never wear, a pair of tennis-shoes that are tough as a Panzer, and a pair of boots that I used to work in and haven't worn since.
    Time manipulation! It's like, a bazillion powers all wrapped up into one. I could be a discount Superman, if I wanted.
    To sleep. I like naps more than travelling, so I think my bed is as exotic a location as I need.

Our next was May's Member of the Month, give it up for.... r a b b i t
    1. Who is your hero?
    Like, I've always looked up to my mom but she's also a good example of things not to be, too - same with my dad. The people in my life, including parents and grandparents are people to me - everyone has flaws and no one is above reproach - that's how I was raised. I don't really have a "hero," someone to put on a pedestal
    lamy friends, usually - and my mom. I can laugh with her like nothing else, and honestly it's just us being goofy
    uuuhhh lemme go count. uuuhh I'ma stop counting at 25
    Probably the power of illusions/light manipulation
    this summer I am walking dogs, working a lot, visiting the beach and taking lots of pictures

Don't take it from me, here's Crazywolf
    1. Who is your hero?
    Tough question. Out of people from history I'd give it to Elizabeth I who I believe is one of the best monarchs that this country has had. In modern times I have a great admiration for those journalists who work in war-zones and difficult places of whom I could probably name quite a few.
    Really it can be anything.
    Two.
    As I said on a recent blog thread about this I'd take the power to alter reality.
    Nothing special is planned. I expect I'll be around here on rpa as usual.

And from way down under- Fox Xalian
    1. Who is your hero?
    Oh look, a question I have never really thought about I don't really know. I mean there's a lot of people in history who have inspired me, but not really enough to be classified as my hero. But off the top of my head I would say...Albert Eisenstein (minus the whole helping to develop nuclear weapons thing....but we all make mistakes )
    I guess some jokes do. I don't have one particular thing, it is circumstantial I guess you could say. I'm an odd one.
    Three. My dressy casual shoes, my good shoes (they need fixing) and my old steel-cap (steel-toed is another term) work boots.
    I don't think I'd want to be a super hero haha. Again, I'm an odd one :P But even then, I don't know what I'd choose haha
    If by summer you mean the season coming up/that it is now? Nothing since it is winter here in Australia. I mean my birthday (and RPA Anniversary) is this month. On the 20th. But summer for me is when Christmas and New Years come up.

And now, the Eccentric Artisan of RPA, Minerva
    1. Who is your hero?
    On RPA? Me, most definitely. I've got the biggest ego, after all.
    On a more serious note, I don't feel like I've had any Heroes to look up to, and I've had to learn everything for myself, but when I see someone with a trait I admire, I put myself in a kind of one-sided rivalry with them to better develop that trait.

I don't catch myself laughing at much, so I'm not sure. Umm... Witty humor, I guess.
    Shoes? Me?
    Uhh... I've got one pair of shoes right now, and they're a pair of hiking boots, because nothing else ever fits...

Imagination Projection, where creativity is power.
    Working on a new book, and, if I'm lucky, getting a job I enjoy. Can I come out of the basement now?

by NotWhoIWas

What! What?! Can it be June already??
    Yes. Yes. The teacher in me says that it is most certainly June!

So put your feet up, sit back, and be prepared to be schooled by some historical morsels!

June 1
    The blonde bombshell, Marilyn Monroe, (born Norma Jean Mortensen) was born on this day in 1926

June 2
    Marquis de Sade was born on this day in Paris, 1740. A cruel and vicious military leader, the word sadism would later be derived from his name

June 3
    Famous boxer, Muhammad Ali, died on this day in 2016

June 4
    Rome was liberated by US Troops during WW2 on this day in 1944

June 5
    In 1783, the first sustained flight of a hot air balloon was launched in Annonay, France

June 6
    D-Day. The largest amphibious landing occurred on the beaches of Normandy in 1944

June 7
    French painter Paul Gauguin was born this day in 1848. His work was said to influence that of Matisse and Picasso

June 8
    Architect Frank Lloyd Wright was born this day in 1867, and was known to be one of the most influential architects of his time, designing over 1000 different structures

June 9
    Composer and lyricist Cole Porter was born this day in 1893. By the age of ten he had published his first song, and now many are well known in Broadway musicals

June 10
    "Somewhere over the rainbow...." Actress Judy Garland was born this day in 1922

June 11
    Jacques Cousteau was born this day in 1910. What makes him so special, you ask? He helped invent the first underwater breathing apparatus, known as the "Aqualung"

June 12
    I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.
    Anne Frank was born this day in 1929. She was best known for the publication of her diary that she kept during World War 2. Anne was taken to a Nazi concentration camp, and later died.

June 13
    William Butler Yeats, a Noble prize winning poet and dramatist was born on this day near Dublin, Ireland in 1865

June 14
    The world's first commercial electronic computer was unveiled this day in 1951

June 15
    On this day in 1215, King John set his seal to the Magna Carta, a charter of British liberties. These guaranteed basic rights have become the foundation for many modern democracies around the world

June 16
    In 1963, Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman in space

June 17
    In 1882 Igor Stravinksy was born near St. Petersburg. He would compose works including "The Firebird", "The Rite of Spring" and "The Symphony of Psalms"

June 18
    Sally Ride became the first American woman in space on this day in 1983

June 19
    Baseball legend Lou Gehrig was born this day in 1903. He would go on to win 7 World Series Championships with the New York Yankees

June 20
    Attila the Hun is defeated on this day in 451 by the Romans and Visgoths in northeast France

June 21
    Britain's Prince William was born on this day in 1982

June 22
    At 3:15 am, some 3.2 million German soldiers headed into Russia- what was considered a major turning point for WW2

June 23
    "Take me to your leader!" The first extraterrestrial message is sent into space from Earth on this day in 1974

June 24
    Julia Gillard becomes Australia's first female Prime Minister in 2010

June 25
    The Korean War began on this day in 1950- it would continue for 3 years, and finally end with the separation of North Korea and South Korea at the 38th parallel

June 26
    In 1945, the United Nations Charter was signed in San Francisco by 50 nations

June 27
    You can thank Mildred Hill, born in 1859, for composing one the melody to one of the most widely known and sung songs- Happy Birthday To You

June 28
    World War 1 formally ended on this day in 1919 with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles

June 29
    William Mayo was born on this day in 1861. He would go on, with one of his brothers, to begin the Mayo Clinic- an internationally recognized medical center for medical diagnosis and treatment

June 30
    At midnight in 1997, the flag of the British Crown Colony was lowered, and a new flag was raised in Hong Kong, representing the official transfer of power to China

This month we're featuring some wonderful art in the form of signatures! There's a bit of trend going round the site, with Game of Thrones sets everywhere you look - why not get one of your own, and join in the fun?!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

by Kris

by Dnafein

It's time for everyones favorite make people laugh event: Caption This. Breggo stepped out for a bit, so this months will be provided by me instead.

The rules are simple - each month, we will provide you with two funny images off the internet. Your job is to come up with a funny comment, caption or speech bubble for one of the two images (or both if you are super inspired). You will have three weeks to submit your caption to any of the Tribune staff members, (please make sure you title it Caption This entry). During the last week, the two funniest captions will be selected by the staff and featured in the next release of the tribune.

Find a funny image that you think will fit? Feel free to send it to any of the Tribune staff members (please make sure you title it Caption This suggestion) and who knows - perhaps it will be the next to participate in "Caption This".

Rules:
    - All RPA rules apply
    - Limit only one submission per picture (max two submissions each month)
    - Be creative! Don't copy memes already made!
    - Have fun!

Spoiler: Caption option 1 

Spoiler: Caption option 2 

by TheBarbarian

Top Five: Books for the Summer
    June 2016

Summer has always been the time when I do the most reading. I would say about 20 of the 50 (not counting rereads) books I read a year are in the summer. There just something about the long languid days spent lounging around the place that make escapes into far off worlds just so wonderful. Of course part of it's just nostalgia, all of the books that have shaped me into the person I am now I read when I was on my summer break from school. It was also the time I could see my friends the most so long discussions of books we had both read would last from early evening to the very first light of dawn. That sort of positive reinforcement is bound to leave a mark on your reading habits.

Because of all this I thought I'd make my first Top Five list for the Tribune something where I could share my love for the literary form. Going forward I will mostly be making lists that rank the chosen topic in order of quality this one is just five different books that I would recommend reading this summer. They are all of different genres and lengths but the unifying factor is that they are all new (as in published in the last three years) and I have read them all.

With that all said let's get this list underway!

Spoiler: 5. Advice Book: "Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction" 

Spoiler: 4. Young Adult: "Fangirl" 

Spoiler: 3. Graphic Novel: "The Wicked + The Divine, Vol.1: The Faust Act" 

Spoiler: 2. Historical Fantasy: "The Golem and the Jinni" 

Spoiler: 1. Horror/Post Apocalypse: "The Fireman" 

That's it for this month!
    Vote for next month's Barbaric Top Five here!

by Dnafein

Spoiler: Wait is that.. A video? 

I happen to be Dnafein, and this.. is.. Press Start.

On this episode we'll be talking about the newly rebooted Homefront franchise and it's starting game, Homefront: Revolution.

For those of you who haven't played, Homefront is an alternate timeline story in which North Korea takes over the United States. You the player join the Resistance intent on taking your nation back from the cruel invaders. The story then follows your character through the struggles of a resistance group trying to fight an embedded army.

The original Homefront game was released to mixed reviews. However the 5 hour average campaign was disappointing to a number of players. The multiplayer was generally well received, though seemed short lived. The reboot however seems to average about 11 hours; However the open world setting this cold easily be extended to 15 hours with exploration and side missions, jobs, and strike points. Unlike the originals, the reboot changed the multiplayer from 32 vs 32 aspect to a four player co-op. The invasion itself was changed as well.

While in the original there is a build up of North Korean military might before the attack, the reboot offers a different suggestion. That's right the west's love for new tech was the cause of the downfall. Both games however had a similar outcome. A brutally cruel oppressive regime.

It's interesting to note that the Reboot has actually received worse scores from critics then the original. Personally, I enjoyed the story and while some jobs felt repetitive they weren't required to finish the game. Gameplay does look like just about any other FPS that is being released these days, however I have to admit that a number of unique traits to the game.

While having to hit a button to equip a grenade to throw does slow you down a bit the option of each grenade having 4 different deployment methods was a nice change of pace, plus blowing up an armored car with an rc car is awesome. Also the inability to simply pick up an enemies weapon, as they're all fingerprint locked, made the game more intense. And I enjoyed the "Hearts & Minds" Mechanic; Having to work to make the people want to follow you is a big change for a video game.

However the game isn't all puppies and roses. While I only encountered one glitch, there was talk of others. Also anytime one completes a mission or job and the autosave activates the action in game turns into basically a screen shot. The action resumes as soon as the save is done but the momentary pause is a little annoying. While the voice acting tends to be superb, the motion capture for the conversation wasn't that great.

Multiplayer is enjoyable, however it is not what I was expecting. Rather then give us the same open world gameplay with missions popping up in the sector we're in the squad leader picks a mission and you start. The missions I played were fun and was equally likely to introduce an oh shit moment.

Too Long; Didn't Read, If you are looking for a genre changing shooter Homefront: Revolution is not it. If your looking for an interesting story, an enjoyable multiplayer experience, or the chance to drive an explosive RC car; Give it a shot.

STORY: 4/5
    GRAPHICS: 3/5
    MULTIPLAYER: 4/5
    OVERALL: 7/10

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)

Love it <3

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Oh look, my interview! Now to go into hiding for the next couple of days *goes into a corner until the 20th comes and goes*

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

Month the of Member November
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Mine is up too though looking back on reflection it seems that in most questions I didn't really say very much.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

Cutie
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Very nice work everyone. I really liked getting to read everyone else's interview while cringing at my own haha.

Also happy early birthday Fox.
    On Hiatus from RP'ing
    My pronouns are She/Her, and They/Them. If it's hard to constantly switch just stick with She/Her.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

Glad you like it, guys! I'm loving Dnafein's video (and have also realised I've been mispronouncing his username in my head)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast