Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Hands, War[m] Heart [Namingtoohard & Fanatasia]

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Any answer he had to that particular line of discussion were put on hold as one of his family's maids let themselves into the room, after a polite knock. Delaying his response briefly, Leith would glance across at the intruder, waiting and watching in relative silence as she went about her work. Of course, it quickly became clear that she had more reason for checking up on them besides her usual duties. The news that his sister was searching for him was unsurprising, if not touching, though the news of a letter was more of a shock. Intrigued, the prince would shuffle closer as he waited for Aine to open it.

He almost made the mistake of offering to read it for her, should her eyesight not prove agreeable or even outright up to the task. Fortunately it seems that his worrying was for nothing, as she quickly started reading out loud for the both of them with little enough trouble. The news contained therein was standard for the most part, though there were a few interesting twists. Even if Fiora was sick and half-frozen, so long as she returned to health there was little enough to worry about. Leith dreaded the thought of loosing her support, not that he would ever admit it.

"I...suppose we would" he would answer simply, throwing another glance over towards the two dragons as Aine posed the question of whether the two would ever end up bringing the world's dragon population up beyond two ever again. Did female dragons simply lay ready eggs when they reached a certain age, or was mating required? Both Oron and Irina had come from the same egg, after all. Or was there perhaps some other necessary factor entirely? The two still really didn't know enough about their kind to make any assumptions.

"...I'm really going to need to spend some time going through the library when we get home. Unless that guard of yours has any more useful information on the matter" he responded simply, frowning a little as he pondered the thought, before giving a bit of a shrug. "In any case, I imagine the staff will be glad when all of us are gone, as well as all of the livestock that those two have been terrorising" he added simply, before giving a bit of a casual shrug.

"But yes, I suppose it is time we actually got out of bed and did something with our evening" the prince announced simply, resolving himself for a moment, before finally kicking back the covers. More or less awake enough now to bear the thought of getting out of bed, he rose without complaint. After a quick moment taken to get dressed, he would glance over at where their little girl played about with the two dragons. Time to sort the three of them out, he supposed.

"I'll call the nurse. Better to get those two settled before we head out" he announced simply, striding over to the door while the rest of the group busied themselves. He would open it just a fraction, before giving his message to the guard outside. Standard fare for messages sent about the castle, and a process that they were all doubtless familiar with at this point. As simple as that, it was done, and he resolved to wait until she arrived and his wife had made herself ready. Irina, seemingly able to sense that something was on the verge of happening, climbed to her feet - apparently getting a little antsy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

While Aine managed to read the letter, it had not been without some stumbling--and should her husband look at the way it was written; he'd see that Sorei's words were written in large, block-style text--clearly the other woman had taken her sisters' eyesight into account. She mused softly, "I do hope Fiora gets better soon," as she folded the letter and reached out to push herself upright.

She'd studied the letter quietly, tilting her head. "I guess we'll have to learn as we go..." She reached out to brush her fingers across Irina's snout; though she had been aiming to brush her hand across the dragon's neck. She frowned briefly as the realization that she'd missed her mark hit her, though she simply pulled her hands back and giggled. "I guess, luckily we can support them back home." She chirped, rolling out of bed as her husband kicked their covers off.

Aine's fingers fumbled through her wardrobe; and for a second she found herself so thankful that everything she wore in Neve went together; that everything was plain. For, if she were in Sinder, she would have to rely on a maid to dress her. As she dressed and readied herself, she brushed her hair out and hummed to herself.

As she finished dressing, she heard the nurse enter--listened to the woman engage with Yelena and Oron as though they were one child, and she smiled softly, murmuring to her husband, "Offer that one a job, if you haven't already. I like that she treats Oron no different than the baby."

The queen would slip her hand against her husband's arm, waiting patiently. She enjoyed seeing his little sister. The girl was quite sweet.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Irina seemed to wince slightly as Aine accidentally bumped her, flinching away more out of surprise than any actual sense of physical discomfort. Unable to help himself, Leith chuckled softly as he watched on, amused by the simple interaction. He glanced up briefly as the nurse arrived, as did Irina, but remained largely passive as she quickly made herself known to both dragon and child. His wife had a point, really, though he doubted that offering her a job would be met with very much success when she would need to decide, pack, and leave with them so soon. Still, it was something to consider, he supposed. They wouldn't know unless they tried.

"Mm. Out of kindness, or necessity? I imagine any nurse would struggle to adapt to sitting for a mythological creature as well as a child" he mused simply, though the prince left it at that for the time being. Still, with the both of them ready to go, there was no delaying any longer. Calling softly for Irina to join the two of them, he watched the growing dragon climb to her feet, before finally setting off. Like always, he was content to lead his wife by the arm, and hold the door for both her and the dragon.

"It'll be amusing to see how everyone back home reacts to the sudden arrival of our new pets. After all, we didn't so much as have their egg when we left. We'll be bringing home not just one new child, but three" he pointed out simply as they walked the halls, smiling idly to himself at the thought. Beyond that, there was little more to do than enjoy the journey as best they could. Regardless of the potential disaster that awaited them at the other end. When they did arrive, though, the two would be surprised to find that his sister was alone - aside from another caretaker, who was neither his old flirt or a direct relative. As they slipped inside, the little girl was playing idly by herself, with one of the wait staff nearby to work as a supervisor. The prince, of course, would immediately step over to greet her.

"Having fun, snowflake?" He would question simply, kneeling down alongside her when they arrived, after relinquishing his wife's arm temporarily. Instead he would reach out to place a hand on her shoulder gently, so that she knew where exactly he was. The little girl jolted to attention at the sound of his voice, before immediately jumping forward to give him a hug. "Big brother!" She called, excitement clear in her voice. When they finally separated, though, her expression had darkened into a bit of a pout.

"Everyone keeps saying that you're leaving already, but you haven't spent nearly enough time with me" the accusation came, more sad than anything else. She would even go so far to swat at him playfully, though one could tell her heart wasn't in it. Rather than contradicting her, though, the prince would swap tactics. "Now now. You need to say hello to Aine too. She's here with me" the prince pointed out. The little girl seemed to straighten a little at that, withdrawing from their hug to step back a little. "Ah...sorry" she fumbled out quickly, more shy than anything this time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine would flinch a bit as her husband released her, though she said nothing, hands folded behind of her back. The woman listened to the little girl accuse her brother, and shook her head gently. However, when her husband pointed out that Aine was here, and the girl stumbled--her voice dimming, Aine whispered a quiet: "Don't worry about me, dear. I'm just here because the maids don't like to watch after me."

She was partially joking, and the tone of her voice told that she was joking; but her face certainly gave away how true she felt that must be. The queen reached out to brush her hand against her husband's arm, murmuring, "I'm okay. Spend some time with her, okay? I can find somewhere to sit." The woman offered a smile, though she had no idea which direction to offer the smile in and thusforth simply smiled.

"Leith's been talking about how he wants to have you over to our home, sometime," she offered out softly, as she shifted her weight, too afraid of bumping into something to try and find a place to sit. "And I'd love for you to come to Sinder. Though... I cannot say I've any idea what to expect. They were renovating when we left. So..." She shrugged slightly, offering another smile. "It'd be like an adventure, one we could go on together." She'd smile tentitively; Aine had only spent a few moments with his sister, before this. And even then, she'd been with her mother--they'd not talked very much.

The queen would slowly lower herself down, until she felt her forehead brush her husband's shoulder; and knew she was crouched beside of him. She'd soon settle on the floor beside of Leith, she felt grounded sitting down--and it gave her a sense of 'where she was', so to speak. "You can come to Sinder any time, any time at all, you know." The woman would tilt her head to one side slightly, as she spoke, "What were you playing?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Unable to help himself, the prince threw a glance in his wife's direction, a frown plastered across his features. Her was seemed too self-depreciating for such a joke, and he would've expected that enough of his family's servants had so much experience dealing with his younger sister that they would have been comfortable enough around his wife. Still, he let the remark slip by without open comment, since they would be leaving Neve and it's servants behind by the time the day ended. Instead, he watched as his little sister and wife conversed for what seemed like the first time.

Rather predictably, Aine proved experienced at dealing with children. His little sister's face seemed to light up at the prospect of coming to visit them, a wide grin of excitement spreading across her features. "Ah, really? Normally I'm not even allowed to leave the castle without mama around" she offered simply, the excitement in her voice palpable. "I can really come any time I want? Can we go today?" she quickly added, clasping her hands together as if begging, or in prayer. Leith found himself chuckling at her earnestly and enthusiasm, despite the fact they would need to clear it with the rest of the family first.

"When I speak to mum I'll ask her for you, okay?" He offered simply, hoping that knowledge would be enough...and would give them a place to shift the blame should things not work out. The little girl nodded simply at that, before scrunching up her face a little. "Okay. But be careful about it. She's not in a very good mood" she supplied simply, before glancing back across at Aine shyly as talk turned to what she was doing before their interruption.

"Ah..it's a matching game. Lady Aria made me these special cards, so I could tell what is on them. You're meant to put them all down, and then try and find the pairs" she answered simply. Kneeling down, she would reach out her hands, searching the ground around her until she found one. E she had, the girl would offer it to Aine as an example...with some guidance from Leith, to make sure the two passed it off without problem.

"She told me that this one is a dragon. That this is what the giant lizards in my stories look like" she offered simply. The card itself was a small square, and true to her word, had the image of a dragon on one side. The picture wasn't just painted on, but actually carved into the wood, so that she could feel out all the different curves and shapes. To learn and identify each of them without her sight, as well as trying to develop her memory for such things. It was an idea Leith had always approved of greatly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine giggled softly as she brushed her fingers against the card, gazing towards the younger girls' blurred form. "This is magnificent. Have you met Irina?" She inquired, with a little grin. "Or Oron?"

"Real dragons... let me see where she's at," the queen was feeling around her husband, until her fingers brushed against Irina's tail, "Irina, come here, silly girl." Should the beast comply, Aine would state, "She's not as big as Oron is--he's big enough to ride, now, but you can still feel her scales quite nicely."

The woman tilted her head as she leaned into her husband. "You get around really well, don't you?" Fingers brushed across Irina's back as she studied the wooden card, her eyes closing. She grinned softly and murmured, "It's lovely. It's quite close, I think, to how our dragons look. Leith? Is it close?" She'd hold the card out towards him, incidently shoving the card against his lap, though she withdrew her hand quickly enough.

Aine despised asking for help. "Oron's with Yelena, preparing for the journey tonight..." She hummed in thought before she chirped, "If your mother does allow you to come with us, what would you like to see first?" Her head tilted; she wanted to know the child's preferences--the woman wanted to make Sinder friendlier to the blind.

She wanted to make Sinder friendlier towards herself, as well. "I think my favorite thing in all of Sinder, is the dances..." She paused, furrowing her brow. She'd not danced in months. "...They're very fluid, it's like fire dancing on the wind, really. I'm pretty sure that's how I won your brothers' heart, honestly." She'd flick her husband idly.

"Anyway. I could teach you sometime, if you'd like." The woman's offer hung in the air, for the taking.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

In response to Aine's words, Aspen would shake her head briefly, quickly refuting the lady's question. She had been in the same room as them before, but had never met either of the dragons directly, nor had anyone specifically drawn her attention to them. She had more or less remained ignorant of their existence, aside from the occasional whispered rumour she caught from the wait staff. She seemed to straighten a little at the implication of what the woman said, quite eager to know the truth of the matter for herself.

Irina would grumble a little, but whether it was in annoyance or simple resignation, even Leith was unable to tell. Still, the dragon complied with the queen's request, circling around the group until she had joined the little half-circle formed by the two women. She was quick to lean across and nuzzle against one of the little girl's hands, who gasped in surprise. It seemed that the dragon knew full well what was expected of her here, and understood enough to know of Aspen's connection to her master.

"Careful of her eyes. She won't thank you for jabbing her there" Leith chimed in, but his words were soft and gentle, without a hint of consequence. Instead he turned his attention to the card as it was passed on to him, quickly turning it over in his hands to observe the carving that lay on the underside. "It's a good likeness. Oron and Irina don't have those frills around their heads, and their tails are a bit more streamlined. Beyond that, though, they seem accurate" he answered simply, giving a bit of a casual shrug before setting it aside. When he looked back, his sister was seated with her arms wrapped around Irina's neck, resting against her idly.

"I...I don't know. Not sure what there is to see" she mumbled softly, almost shy, as if she was ashamed to admit to her ignorance on the matter. Still, as the discussion turned to dancing, she tilted her head briefly. After a moment of thought, she gave an enthusiastic nod. "You must be good if you won LeiLei over" she supplied simply, not thinking to say any more on the topic, as only a child could. The prince only chuckled softly in affirmation.

"She's very good. You would have to work hard, but I think you could do it" the prince offered simply, earning another little nod from his sister. It didn't really show outwardly, but she was very rapidly becoming attached to the idea.

"...can we start right now?" The question finally came, slipping from her lips. It was closely followed, however, by the sound of the door opening, and the arrival of the First Lady of house Neve. Leith and Aspen's mother. Her expression was firm, but she remained passive for the time being, lingering on the edges of the group - as if she wished to see what exactly they were doing before interrupting outright. She had that much respect and self control, at least.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine beamed as her husband said the cards were close. She ran her fingers across Irina's back as she listened idly to the girl with the dragon. "She's quite sweet, you know." The woman grinned. "Irina is a fire breather. Oron breathes ice."

She'd tip her head and state, "There's lots! I took Leith to see fyrewyrms once, And there's forests all of ash... Oh! We've got a personal waterfall in our room." The woman flushed briefly and found herself glad that the child couldn't see. "Singer has fire dancers, bards, I think if we get back early enough, it'll be in time for the peasants festival."

As the focus turned to dancing, and the door opened, Aine paused briefly before nodding. "We can! I can show you how to do a basic stepped dance, first." The woman would reach to find the girls arms, curled around Irina, and offer her hand.

Once Aspen had taken her hand and stood, Aine was humming to herself. "First, I think, I should show you one of my dances. May I pick you up?" The queen didn't bother mentioning that this dance would have been done on the shoulders of other dancers; though. She leaned to scoop Aspen up after receiving permission, and she'd pause to do a full circle with her free arm outstretched, to ensure she had enough space.

"This dance is a traditional dance, done to honor the Goddess, Chana. She's the one who gives us fire in our hearts; and goodness in our souls." Aine angled her head slightly as she added, "If you want me to go slower, let me know. And if you like the way this dance feels, if it calls you, I can teach you the first few steps."

Without further ado, the red-haired woman would slip her shoes off, then her furs, and she'd secure her hold on Aspen before her left foot stepped first, and she twirled. She'd not danced in so long; but luckily dancing was an art form and Aine was that child prodigy that was prided for her dances. She'd allow her left arm to release Aspen, as she twirled, supporting the girl with just her right, tipping her slightly. She was giving the child the full experience to dance the six person dance. Three people's shoulders to dance across; two people to dance atop. She twirled with the Neveian princess, and as she twirled the girl was brought closer to her body, as Aine successfully began to lower herself to the ground, until she sat cross-legged with the child in her lap.

"So what we did with that last move there, was that this dance is typically two person; male and female, traditionally. The male would have the role I had; essentially he'd do all the footwork. The woman would be lifted into his arms, as you were, though she'd be dancing as she was lifted. The end of the dance has the two together, cross-legged. There's a bit to it, that I didn't show you, but those were the basics."

Aine would grin sheepishly and state, "If you truly aim to dance like me, I could send my tutors here for a season. I've no need for them, and Yelena is much too small to learn right now." The queen traced a hand through the child's hair, "I think you'd like the weather. Leith did, at least, he said he did." She'd reach out to find Irina, and murmur, "Perhaps, if you come to visit with us, we can work on your dancing; there's a few new dances I've yet to learn--we were traveling and the like."

The woman would fall into silence before she'd lean to whisper, "I think by the time we cross the border, it'll be time to have a masquerade. Have you ever been? It's oh-so-much fun." In Sinder, masquerades were used in the same manner as a debutante ball was; though Aine had always found them so amusing.
    Last edited by Fanatasia; 06-06-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

With a small nod, the little girl would acquiesce with Anie's question, loosening her grip on Irina, before withdrawing her hands entirely just in time or the Sindarian queen to scoop her up. She would cling to her perhaps a little tighter than necessary - given her impediment, putting herself in a position where she had little to no control over her own movements was a tad unnerving. She would stay largely silent, though. Her curiosity and willingness to learn was enough to overwrite her initial weariness, combined with her preformed notion that Aine was an excellent dancer based on the earlier parts of their conversation.

Fortunately, the rhythmic twists and turns of the dance were made all the more exciting by her ignorance, and the general love of acrobatics and adventure that most children seemed to express. Her nerves gave way to soft giggles of laughter, which were even punctuated with a squeal of delight at one point. When the dance finally came to an end, she almost seemed a bit disappointed, even as the two of them were lowered back to the ground again. Still, Leith couldn't help but imagine how such dances might look with a Nevian touch. What it would be like to see a Sindarian dance, but using ice and snow the way hey used fire and smoke.

The little girl would nod as Aine offered to teach her the first steps, quite eager to begin regardless of which dance exactly she would be learning. Her only hesitation came from the source that it was a couples dance - she would have liked to be able to practice on her own, in case mother did not let her leave, and she had nobody else to practice with. Teacher knew best, though. Still, in her lack of a reply, Leith would speak up simply; merely muttering the little girl's name sternly.

"Aspen" he stated abruptly, causing her to hesitate just a fraction, before gasping softly. She had forgotten her manners - something he was always chiding her for. "Ah, pretty please. I would love to meet your tutors...maybe to even come to the masquerade and dance there?" She offered simply. A vain hope, for one so young, but her eagerness was infallible. Still, at this point, Leith would politely withdraw. He paused only briefly, to whisper that he would be right back, before rising and moving to confront his other. She watched his approach silently, with both arms folded across her chest, two quickly began discussing something in hushed whispers. Rather heatedly, on her part, while Leith was more reserved - more reluctant, or possibly even sorrowful.

Only a few snippets would prove audible as their debate raged onwards, attracting even a worried glance from Aspen, though she said nothing.

"...to just let her go? After what you've..."

"...her wellbeing. She asked, and it's not like..."

"...not as if we're at war, or even enemies..."

It would only come to a halt when the two realised how loud they were being, at which point a round of glances was enough to betray their intentions.

"Perhaps we should take this somewhere else" his mother supplied, in her usual tone of voice, though the way she spoke hinted at her distaste for the thought.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine giggled softly, hugging the girl gently. She'd hug the girl a bit tighter as snippets of her husband's and his mother's conversation floated, and softly Aine spoke, focusing instead of Aspen herself, "Come on. Let's see if you can't learn these first steps for me, yeah?"

The queen would settle onto her knees, stating, "Here, this dance is an easy one." She'd reach to position the child's feet, her gaze focused anywhere but the girls' feet. Once she'd counted quietly to herself, Aine stated, "Your feet start out six steps apart." The woman would move to show the girl how she would move her arms, before she grinned and whispered, "So from there, you twirl--and you have to stay in count."

She'd set a beat, clapping in a slow tune, as she squinted--trying to see if the girl was keeping her movements to the beat. Aine, however, found that this proved to be anything but fruitful, even as she held the beat. The girl would have fun, and she'd send along proper tutors--she had her doubts that her husband could beat his mothers' resolve; though she wished he could. Then, as she held up the beat, giggling softly, she paused to state, "So each step you learn, every step you learn will eventually fit into a dance. And sometimes," she'd lean to whisper to the girl, "You can even make your own dance up!"

She'd grin brightly and clap her hands, trying to keep the child focused on the dancing instead of on the fear of her mother rejecting the idea. "And you, my dear, I think if you get to be a good enough dancer, you can teach Yelena how to dance!" The woman grinned widely, leaning to twirl the child gently.

Aine was listening in the back of her mind, for her husband to return. She was hoping beyond all hope that the man had brought news that the child would come with them tonight, though she doubted it--and some part of her was prepared to have her hopes dashed to shattered glass on the sidewalk.

Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4950515253 ... LastLast