Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Skyrim: Rise of the Stormcloaks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Elisif walked out the door, immediately greeted by Bolgeir, who gave her a scandalous look.

"Good morning, Jarl Elisif," he said, clearly wanting to say more, but holding back.

"Yes, good morning..." Elisif replied, blushing faintly and beginning to walk past him when Bolgeir placed a hand on her shoulder, "Excuse me?"

"Aye, don't be embarrassed. I don't blame you for wanting some, ahem, company. You ain't the only one in your court done their fair share of sleeping around," he said reassuringly, but Elisif only blushed more.

"Um... yes... I suppose not..." she replied, "I heard you speaking with Liam... does he--?"

"Aye, he knows. Ran off to the Skeever again. Not sure why he's belly achin' though. Saw him with a fine lass yesterday. Word is you heard 'em too," he shook his head, "Boy can't get his timing right, can he?"

Elisif furrowed her brows, face wrinkling in worry, "I'll go talk to him."

She walked past her court, ignoring Lucine and the others' calls for her,
    "I'll get to it! I have to take care of something!"

She headed out of the palace in nearly a sprint for the Skeever. When she reached it, she struggled to catch her breath and felt her legs become sore... probably from the long night with Raven.

"Jarl? What're you doing here?" the barkeep looked at her oddly since she had arrived with no guards.

"Liam. Where is he?" she asked, earning a shake of the head from the barkeep.

"Heard you shacked up with Raven and ran upstairs with ale in hand," he nonchalantly cleaned a glass with a rag and tilted his head to the stairs while Lisette, behind him, perked up, looking mildly disappointed.

Elisif didn't want to bother standing there to explain herself, but ran upstairs. She thought she heard a sob, so she stopped in front of the door it came from, her hand hovering over the knob hesitantly. She gently took the knob and turned it, opening the door slowly and finding a distraught young man with his hood pulled up over him to attempt to conceal it.

Silently, she sat down next to him and folded her hands in her lap. She wanted to pity him, but at the same time, she found herself irritated with him.

"Are you angry or sad?" she asked, trying to gauge what his angle was. But, she felt anger pool in her stomach at the fact that he was upset in the first place, "I came back looking for you," her voice was firm, almost as if disciplining a child, "Liam," she reached out and grabbed his shoulder, turning him to face her, looking at him sternly, "How in Oblivion do you find it reasonable to be upset with me?"

"Great, now she sees I'm upset...". With a sigh, Liam pulled his hood down and looked her in the eyes, his own emerald green ones red and mildly puffy, bristling upon her hand touching his shoulder."Elisif... I'm not angry." - he was lying there but felt it wouldn't help the already awkward situation if he was in a state of anger. Rather blankly, the Breton simply sighed and shrugged, wiping his eyes with his sleeve. "It's not reasonable. I know that I did a stupid thing by spending the night with Camilla and as a result you returned the favour by sleeping with Mr "tall, dark and brooding". Liam couldn't hide the sarcasm at that last part, still feeling slightly annoyed at the whole situation. Liam stood up and grabbed his drink, taking a sip and looking out his window at the market place with a sigh. "Y'know, I thought about you everyday when I was on the Wakerunner... I thought that I should be with you, in Windhelm protecting you in one of the most hostile courts in Skyrim against all those who would call you names other than the Fair. Instead, I ended up sleeping with a woman I barely know, and finding out that the person I really care about was sleeping with someone else.". He couldn't hide the bitterness on his tone, his annoyance finally coming to the surface. He looked back at the woman he cared for more than anything on Nirn and clenched his fists, knowing deep down that she probably thought little more of him than a child barely out of his teens.

The young man went into his pockets and produced the necklace he'd bought in Jehanna, the jewellery having been specially made for the Jarl. "I was going to give you this when I returned... I suppose I wasted my time."

Elisif watched him closely as he explained himself. When he pulled the necklace out of his pocket, her face showed surprise at its beauty and intricacy. But, that faded instantly at his last sentence and she wore a scowl.

"Liam Leoncourt how dare you try to guilt me. I will not be guilted just because you feel so guilty for your own actions. You know for a fact that you screwed up and not me. Don't blame me. Don't you dare," her voice had a tone that she had never taken with Liam before. That of bitterness and anger, "You're angry with yourself because you know that--" Elisif cut herself off, but decided she would say what she was about to say anyway, "You might have been the one waking up next to me if not for your mistake. And, in fact, I can confirm that notion. You would have. The one time you weren't there for me is the one that mattered most."

"Give that necklace to... Camilla, was it? She deserves it after being used by you," Elisif stood now, ready to storm out on this petty little boy, "In fact, perhaps split it with the barmaids you frequent, as well."

Liam could see the hurt and anger in Elisif's voice and his face softened, the young man quickly walking towards her and gently putting his hand on her shoulder. "My lady... I apologise for my words. I know you didn't mean to hurt my feelings and I too never meant to hurt you, in any form. Believe me, I never, ever, wanted to make you feel as if you weren't anything other than the queen you deserve to be. Camilla... I only slept with her because I had to distract myself from thinking about you, constantly. Every single day, I think about you, about how best I can serve you, how I can protect you, hell, how I can prove how much I care for you - believe me, please."

He looked at the necklace in his hands and studied it for a second, noticing the inscription beneath it; it was a poem from back home in High Rock written in the Breton language and it held a dear part of his heart, the same way Elisif did his.

Liam stopped fading at the necklace and looked at Elisif almost pleadingly, hoping somehow that she could at least forgive him for his stupidity. "All I want, all I have ever wanted in my time here in Solitude, is to spend my days with you.". The boy, no the young man, tenderly put his hands in Elisif's own and smiled almost sadly. "If... If you do not wish to be with me, I'll find a way to live with that, but I honestly believe I'm in love with you Ellie."

Elisif found herself speechless at his words. She opened her mouth to speak,but no words left it. She simply watched him as he took her hands, suddenly seeming innocent and sincere, his expression pleading for her forgiveness. "I--" she tried to speak again, but came up short,
    thinking of Raven and the experiences they shared. She felt absolutely torn in half.

"I--I have to go, Liam," she choked out, taking her hands back gently and turning quickly to leave, feeling tears in her eyes again. She wanted Raven to hold her and tell her it would be okay, but now she didn't know how she even felt about that? Or if she did, it was masked by pity for the boy that could be mistaken for love.

"I have to leave," Elisif added, opening the door and walking briskly out of the Skeever, headed straight for the palace, tears running down her face.

Eventually she made it back to her court, wiping her eyes and trying to hide that she had been upset. She sat on her throne and regained her composure, looking at the others in expectation. "I'm sorry. I had an important personal matter to attend to."

Liam stood and watched as Elisif walked away, knowing that a lot must have gone through her mind just then and that it was best to let her have some time to herself. The knight pocketed the necklace and went downstairs to pay for his room before walking outside into the streets, nodding to his brothers soldiers and making his way up past the Castle Dour and spotting Lucine, smiling politely before heading to the Blue Palace, set on serving in his position as body guard.

He entered the hall and noticed Elisif taking court and slipped into the shadows, knowing full well it would be wrong of him to stand next to her considering what had transpired shortly before. Instead, he headed to his room, dressed into his Bretonian steel plate armor and cast a watchful eye on the courtiers, determined to do his job and protect his Jarl.
    Last edited by Daniel_Darkholm; 09-24-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Copost between me and Lain

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Salendrial and Camilla were the only ones still in the throne room when Elisif returned. "Welcome back Elisif, my daughters had some important business to deal with, something about training our new army and preparing for the threats of war against you by the Jarls of Whiterun and Markarth" she said, bowing slightly. "We only have a few items today, two of which are from Lucine, one is for a training march lead by her and....your knight protector Liam" she said, handing Elisif the request letter. "She was going to take the Dragonborn, Starkad, and the Templar, Isus, but since they have both vanished since Windhelm so had to settle with juust taking Liam" she added. "And speaking of the Templar, he is wanted for dereliction of duty, and has a bounty placed on his head for his arrest, or he will once you sign this" the head of House Starseer said, sliding a second piece of paper to Elisif. "Oh and the last item, it has been suggested you go into hiding until the baby...the twins, rather, have been born, the Ashlander Dunmer, Ali, has suggested a house she owns in Raven Rock on the island of Solsthiem would be useable" Salendrial finished. "We'd need to disguise Jarl Elisif then, she'd be too recognisable otherwise" Camilla added. "Good point, I shall take suggestions" Salendrial said. "Well us Dunmer are called ash skins sometimes, so why not fireplace ash to darken her skin?" Ali suggested, coming up the stairs to stand beside Salendrial, having just come from Castle Dour and her training. "As a temporary one yes, and I can use alteration magic to change how her eyes look but we'd need to think of a permanent solution to the skin" Salendrial said.

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Historical, Parody, Original
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Aura had thoroughly enjoyed the party the night before, mostly dancing and eating sweets. That being said, she didn't notice most of the drama going on. That night, she had finally settled into her room at the barracks and fallen asleep. She awoke and began walking into town through Castle Dour just in time to see Liam run past towards the Skeever. About a half an hour later while Aura was chatting up the blacksmith and asking incessant questions about everything, she saw Elisif run towards the Skeever without any guards and she looked pretty distressed. Then another few minutes later she saw Elisif leave first and then Liam. Strange, indeed.

"And that's how you craft a--" the blacksmith had been showing Aura a few things, but when he was about to show her his finished work, she was gone. He grumbled something to himself as he saw she had run off back towards the palace without saying 'thanks' or anything.

Aura also ran past Raven, who seemed to be on the way to the blacksmith. He, again, smelled like 'love'. Aura wrinkled her nose at the smell, but greeted him politely anyway and went on past him. There was a strange air about him as well as Liam and Elisif. She felt like she had missed something big.

Upon arrive at the palace, she saw the Jarl sitting on her throne and being informed of plans of some sort. The templar wasn't here, apparently, so Aura scowled that her prank had gone unnoticed and she folded her arms, leaning against the wall. Then, she heard something else interesting.

"'Twins'? What is 'twins'?" Aura asked Salendrial with her head tilted slightly to the side. She took a few steps closer to Salendrial, Camilla, and Ali, now being within a few feet of Elisif, as well. Elisif had a similar smell to...

"Jarl smells like Raven," Aura blinked and then gasped, "No way. She didn't!" she covered her mouth in surprise but then started laughing lightly with a grin, "She did. Not thinking about Dragonborn anymore, huh? Is called... 'the rebound'?" she looked at Ali and the other two inquiringly but then snickered again, "That is the word," she added, finding herself proud that she had used proper grammar in her last statement.

--
    Elisif nodded at Salendrial as she explained a few things and mentioned what Lucine had planned, as well at the templar being absent. She frowned at that, but the workings of her mind came to a screeching halt when Salendrial said one particular word.

"Twins...?" Elisif's eyes watered and she covered her mouth, not hearing anything else the women said to her after that and also not hearing Aura approach and tease her about sleeping with Raven. She was completely shocked. After perhaps thirty seconds, her expression softened, though her eyes were streaming tears again for what she felt like what she fiftieth time this morning.

"I'm having... twins..." she put a hand on her lower stomach lightly and relaxed back into her throne. She started laughing even as she wept, "By the nine, I'm having twins!"

"What do I do?" Elisif laughed and pushed her hair back from her face, holding her forehead, "Gods!"

"Someone get me some water, please!" she exclaimed, and a pitcher and goblet were brought to her side by a maidservant. She sipped it and took a deep breath, wishing someone was there to share her feelings, but Raven had gone off somewhere and so had Liam.

"Salendrial-- are you sure?" she asked with a laugh, "What am I supposed to do? You had triplets. What do I do?" she asked again, still unable to stand. Her legs felt like noodles and she felt close to fainting, even.

https://i.imgur.com/cFZlNYP.png
    Awesome Signature set by Hayabusa

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Once the prisoners were freed at Dragon's Bridge, Reila and Jo'Kar slipped away from the group before they recovered to finish their journey. Quietly retreating into the woods nearby and into the mountains. The group had located a hidden cave and settled in to rest. Exhausted and hungered, some of the soldiers went out hunting, looking for food and fresh water. The food given by the one who bought their freedom did not last long. Hours had passed when the hunters had returned with several goats and large jugs they managed to snatched from the camp, filled with water.

With a fire started and cooked meat ready to devour, Jo'Kar stood by the entrance and watched as the winter cold took it's path. He felt the cold breezing through his fur, but he did not mind. Soon he could smell cooked meat entering his nose and heard footsteps coming closer to him. Reila had a piece of meat in one hand and another in the second hand. She offered one to Jo'Kar, whom gladly accepted and took several bites. "So what is the plan?" Reila asked curiously.

Jo'Kar could tell she must be thinking it, the others could think of it as well. "I did not mean to leave you behind like that...I did not know." He looked down at the meat in his hands, the juice dripped on the ground.

Reila chewed slowly as she took a rather large bite out of the meat. "I'm sure you had your reasons." She looked at the furry leader. "But it would seem fate had meet us at the same place before our execution." She tried easing his mind.

"I will not let it happen again." Jo'Kar says softly before biting into his meal.

The next morning, after the group had finished eating their meal and much needed rest. Jo'Kar looked to what was left of his men. "Alright, now we can recuperated, I guess you must know what happened at the Moot in Windhelm." He crossed his arms on his chest and takes in a deep breath. "Jarl Ulfric has been selected as the new High King of Skyrim." There was disappointed sounds among the group. "I fear Lady Elisif and the others may be in danger." Eyes stared at the Khajiit, wondering what he had in mind.

"We must gather numbers, warriors to fight another war. To prepare a tyrant from destroying Skyrim." He looked around, "There are several other camps of Imperial Legion forces in the area, mostly spies to keep an eye on the Stormcloaks, we will find them and have them join us." He mumbled softly. "I also heard there was a disturbance between the Forsworn and Jarl Ulfric. I will try and talk with their leader, maybe ask them for their assistance." He looked to Reila. "Reila, I need you to go to Solitude and inform our new friend of our plans."

Reila looked puzzled. "But-"

"No but's, talking with the Forsworn is dangerous, and also I need someone who I trust to be in Solitude to make sure nothing happens to the Jarl and the city."

Reila sighs heavily and nodded her head slowly. "Very well."

"Good, maybe this bag of gold we confiscated can be of useful or persuade a few mercenaries. Now go." He nodded to the entrance.

+++++

Hours passed, Reila finally reached the city. Upon her arrival, she noticed a few guards standing at the gates, making her way through the city. She followed the path that lead to the palace. Guards protected and watched the entrance, they stood at attention when Reila had approached.

"I need to speak with the one they call..'Amber.'"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Liam had slowly started to close his eyes when Urdi, one of the many maids in the Blue Palace, walked up to him and informed him of something that required his attention in the courtyard, something regarding the inventory of weaponry brought back from High Rock. Before out of the Blue Palace, he had spoken to Bolgeir about keeping an eye on Elisif should anything uncomfortable happen during his brief leave of absence.

Upon walking into the yard, the Breton had seen what the problem was immediately - some of the equipment from the journey back from Jehanna had become damaged from a water filled crate, resulting in a good few weapons having become rusty and corroded. A nuisance, but nothing Ol' Beirand couldn't fix. Looking over the weapons, he quickly ordered the most heavily damaged items to be melted down and for the others to be given to the blacksmith to be reforged and/or be repaired. With that done, the lad looked around and took in his surroundings:

His family members were discussing some of the current events back home in, mainly the upcoming coronation of the next King of the city - supposedly, House Leoncourt were in the running and that was the main focal point of their discussion, Liam's half brother and eldest sibling Thierry the Younger showing a longing for the crown that was mildly unnerving to the bastard of Daggerfall. Nearby, Captain Aldis was helping to teach some of the new recruits to use crossbows and longbows, the battle hardened Nord possessing a wealth of experience that was valuable to not only the city of Solitude, but the people within it. Regardless, it helped the young man sleep better at night knowing the soldiers and guards of the city were becoming better at their occupation with each passing day. All was practically well, until the Bastard of Daggerfall spotted the person he was hoping not to have to deal with in the form of Raven.

Now, it's not that Liam outwardly despised the man, for the Breton made it a point to not to find fault with a persons character unless they were purposely hostile to you for good reason. However, he hadn't forgotten being slapped by the man after saving the Jarl's life, nor was he likely to forget that he was actively sleeping Elisif, a fact that had continued to wind Liam up since he had found out about it earlier that morning. Furthermore, something about the man was just... It made the Knight uncomfortable. Out of nowhere, the man pops out of the blue possessing an intellect second to none and simply becomes one of the Jarls chief advisors. Not to mention the fact that the man had a set of eyes that could make even the bravest man think twice about starting something. All Liam could think of at that moment was this:

"Please don't speak to me, don't speak to me..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beirand raised the blade, inspecting it's edge. Shaking his head with dissatisfaction, he returned the blade to the grinding stone. It was to be a blade for Noster Eagle-Eye, whom had seen fit to re-enlist with Elisif's soldiers. Already Fihada had crafted the man a bow, and forty arrows. Beirand snorted and spit just thinking about the one-eyed scout. They had become good friends, and he would be damned if he was going to give him any less than the finest blade he could make.

Turning, he saw movement out of his eye and spun on his heel, bringing the blade to bear as he saw a man dressed all in black with pale skin and silver eyes leaning against a post. "What do you want, Blackguard?" he asked, not caring for the way the man presented himself.

Wraith smiled, taking a bite of his apple while he appraised the blade that was raised inches from his nose. Reaching up, he felt along the edge with his finger, nodding in approval. It would be a fine blade indeed for whomever had it commissioned. With the right enchantments, it would be be a formidable weapon.

"I require three blades. One of silver, two of ebony." Wraith stated, flicking the man's blade away from him as he stepped forward. "Longsword with a silver blade. And a pair of ebony scimitars with slender blades, not like the Redguard blades. Something elegant, but practical. And I want the scimitars to have pommels shaped like a Raven's head, hilts like curve spines, and guards shaped like wings."

Beirand stroked his chin as he considered. "That's going to be quite costly. Not just the materials but such intricate design like that. How much are you offering?"

Wraith shrugged. "Ten thousand suffice?"

Beirand raised an eyebrow. "It can be done. But good blades take time.Come back in three days, and I'll have them ready." he said, returning to his work.

Wraith nodded. "I'll be going to Riften come morning. When I return, I'll find you in your shop. Oh, and place these rubies in the eye sockets of the Ravens, and this Sapphire in the silver sword's pommel." he added, tossing the jewels on the smith's table. "And speak of this to none, not even Sayma. And keep them hidden."

Beirand looked at Wraith, saying nothing for a moment before nodding. Without further word, Wraith left. A shiver crawled of Beirand's spine, feeling like he'd brushed with death. He really didn't care for that man, but he would be true to his word.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wraith returned to the Blue Palace, walking through the courtyard when he spotted Liam. Seeing the young knight sparked anger within him, the memory of his foolish attack that managed to save Elisif through luck alone. Bristling, he shrugged it off as he recognized the primal feeling of jealousy that accompanied that anger. Sighing, he reminded himself that he had no reason to be. That Elisif had made a different choice. And with that realization came a feeling of understanding for the young man.

Sighing and shaking his head, he turned towards the young knight. Stopping before him, he placed his hands on his hips as he looked Liam in the eye. "We need to talk. Come on, let's get a pint in the Skeever."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Damn it... Can't catch a break.". It was fair to say that Liam was mildly startled by Raven's words, figuring the shadowy figure would have much rather drowned Liam in a cask of wine than offer to have a drink with him. Nonetheless, the younger advisor scratched the back of his head in mild confusion and awkwardly nodded before trying to get his words out. "Erm - sure, I suppose. Lead the way.". As he followed the slightly bigger man down into the main square, Liam couldn't help but feel like this was a bad idea on his part, not particularly trusting Raven as much as his Jarl did. Thankfully, the Skeever was usually pretty crowded at lunch time so he probably wouldn't get stabbed or poisoned in full view of everyone... Hopefully.

Thankfully, Lisette had given him a cup of ale as he walked in which did a little to calm his nerves slightly and he even managed a smile when Ilidi took up her lute and began to play The Age of Aggression, even though it was frowned upon now that the Stormcloaks were in control of Skyrim. Taking a small sip of his drink and sat down with Raven, looking him in the eyes almost in defiance before speaking. "If this is about Elisif, I suppose I should speak first and state that I won't stand in her way if she decides she wants to be with you. I merely ask you don't do anything that would risk the life of her and her child. That is what we were here to discuss, correct?". In Liam's defence, he didn't even know if that was even the reason Raven wanted to speak to him, hell maybe the Nord-Dunmer rogue simply wanted to get to know what he was like. Regardless, Liam felt uncomfortable looking the man in the eyes, something about the man just sending a shiver up the tall knights spine as he waited for Raven's response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wraith sat before Liam in the Winking Skeever, watching the boy intently. It was obvious the young man was intimidated by him in spite of his attempt at pretending otherwise. Everything from the way he smiled at the maid to his avoidance of Wraith's gaze showed he recognized the darkness within that so often caused others to consider their actions and words carefully. And yet, in spite of that fear, the boy spoke without hesitation, immediately broaching the subject that he believed Wraith had wanted to speak to him about. That simple act raised the assassin's respect for the knight, raising him slightly in esteem.

Grabbing a mug of ale that had been set before him, Wraith let the silence settle as he took a sip, silver eyes never leaving Liam's before he set it back down. "Elisif will do as she pleases; regardless of what you and I think, she makes her own decisions. For now, she trusts my counsel. Later, if she chooses not to, then all I can do is attempt to prepare for whatever repercussions occur." The assassin paused, considering the Knight.

"You are her Knight. As such it is your responsibility to take care of her. That means more than defending her. It means being able to advise her on a course of action, whether it be on the battlefield or in the courts. It means being a confidante in whom she can trust her innermost secrets should she choose to share them. It also means knowing the correct course of action to take in any given situation that her life might be in danger." Wraith said, eyes flashing as he leaned back in his chair.

Taking another sip, he continued. "That day you took the man's hand, you did what you believed was the correct course of action, and even though it may have worked that time, the simple fact is you were lucky. He had been standing behind her, arm around her neck which meant it was suspended over her shoulder, dagger tucked under her throat. His arm was close enough that you were as likely to slash Elisif as stop him, not to mention in the time you took to raise your sword for the blow he should've cut her throat. It was only through the will of the gods that she was unharmed."

"You would've been better off being behind him and stabbing him at the base of the skull, where he'd be unaware and the risk to Elisif would be negligible. If you couldn't do that, a sword thrust through the eye would've been the second best approach." Leaning forward again, Wraith tapped the table with his finger. "You care for her, and you're a capable warrior, Liam. But you need to consider your actions. Rash action kills. Thoughtful action saves. If you wish to serve Elisif at your best, you need to be a man of thought as well as action."

Taking a drink of his ale, Wraith regarded the Knight. "She cares for you. And there may come a day, when she sees the same thing in me that you and so many others do. It's not a day I look forward to. But she needs people she can count on, and as her Knight, it is your duty to be among them."
    Liam's expression dropped from one of suspicion, to a mixture of confusion and curiosity; there he sat, with a man who was usually referred to in hushed tones, and yet Raven was giving him advice? Liam quickly realised that whilst he may not have been the best of friends with Raven, he couldn't help but respect the rogue for his knowledge and experience, especially in regards to what Liam should do. The young Breton had even nodded in agreement when Raven had spoken on what should have been done when Elisif had been held hostage by that Stormcloak bastard, noting that his lack of experience with the situation had prompted him to simply try do what he could to save Elisif. "I... I appreciate your advice Sir. I'll be honest, I wouldn't have thought you'd be trying to help me with what I can do at the Blue Palace. Frankly, I was under the impression you thought little more of me than a child. I'll heed your advice."

Liam managed himself a small, polite smile before taking another sip from his drink, raising his mug with the other patrons when Illdi's song had been finished before turning back to his conversation with Raven before speaking up on what he felt during the hostage crisis."When Ellie - I mean, Jarl Elisif, was being held by that Stormcloak... I froze up. I'd never had to do something like that, I'd been trained to simply fight in battles and make sure my liege was safe. Yet, here she was, in danger of death and I had to do something - I couldn't stand there as that bastard held her life in his hands and did what I thought was the best course of action.". He laughed slightly before stopping, realising it was impolite. "Then you slapped me upside the head and I saw a couple stars. What I'm trying to say, is that I'm not used to this stuff... On the battlefield, I know exactly what I'm doing; I know the best way to set up a shield wall, form a phlanx and pike formation, use a flank to break the enemies centre. But at court, everyone knows how to play this game of thrones. Falk is always listening to the peoples pleas and rectifying problems they have. Sybille, though she can be a bit condescending, is one of the finest mages and physicians in Skyrim and is always doing something to advise the Jarl. Even the Dragonborn would give Ellie advice on certain matters regarding what to do with those who still worshipped Talos in the city. Yet, here stands little old Liam, merely standing by and watching out for trouble, silent as ever... I know Ellie asks me for certain advice on topics regarding my homeland but I still don't exactly know what to say."

Liam sighs and thinks back on what Raven had spoken, picking up on the words "when she sees the same thing in me that you and so many others do" and raising an eyebrow. "You know, I do believe you aren't as evil as people make you out to be. Sure, you're a bit ruthless in how you do your business but I believe your merely trying to find the best course of action and for that I respect you. I may be suspicious of some of the things you do, but ad long as what you do doesn't harm Elisif or the people around her, I'll trust you. The least I can do for giving me some sound advice."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wraith listened to Liam's words, nodding as he recounted how he froze up at a time when action was critical. It was a problem the assassin had never experienced before; even in his early years, he had always known what course of action to take. It had been drilled into him every day as far back as he could remember by all of his family: never hesitate, when in doubt, kill. That training had saved him and others countless times, eliminating unexpected threats and witnesses who stumbled upon them. From those mistakes he learned to plan meticulously to avoid the necessity of such kills, even when forced to improvise.

"Cut the 'Sir' shit. I'm no Knight, and titles mean nothing to me. I don't care if you're the Emperor or a pauper, everyone dies just the same. The only difference is one has a fancier funeral that they'll never see nor care about." Wraith said, taking another sip of his ale. "If you weren't taught those things, then your instructors failed you. You're a Knight, not some legionnaire or common soldier. Knights are expected to know how to conduct themselves at court, how to recognize and utilize political maneuvering on behalf of their liege, and to properly protect their liege from any threat, whether it be on the battlefield or in the confines of her own palace. You've made a start to learn what should've already been taught by being around Lucine. Learn from her. My ways are not your ways, and that's not something you wish to change.

Regarding Liam's words about his motivations, Wraith shook his head. "You're better off not trying to understand my motivations or morality, for I am not governed by either of those things. My reasons are my own. With that being said, you need not worry about Elisif. As hurt as you both might be with each other, she is your liege. If your truly care for her, you need to put your romantic feelings aside and be her friend." Raising a hand to forestall any response, he continued. "I'm not saying that to protect my relationship with her. She already knows how you feel, and her own feelings towards you didn't disappear in a single night. But right now, what she needs is stability and peace."

"I'll be leaving tonight temporarily. There's business I need to take care of, and I'll be taking one of my companions with me." Wraith's gaze fell upon Liam. "Protect the Jarl, as is your duty. And learn how to do that off the battlefield as well as on. Perhaps some day you may earn the title of her Lord Protector with command over a contingent of guards dedicated to doing so."
    Liam smiled and nodded before standing up, his face contemplating the rogues words."Aye, I'll do just that s-, I mean, Raven. Take care on your trip.". With that the Breton headed to the Blue Palace, the weather having shifted from a sunny day, to a grey, drizzly afternoon mixed with light rainfall, causing Liam to pull his hood over his head as he made the short walk back to ths Blue Palace.

Stepping inside, the knight immediately froze his movements on the staircase upon hearing Lady Salendtial giving news of Elisif, informing her that she was going to be having twins. "Twins?! Ellie's having twins...". The thought made Liam smile in a mixture of both joy and pride, imagining two children with Ellie's warm eyes running round the palace, filling it with laughter and happiness as Liam stood with Elisif in his arms in a warm embrace; the thought was one that could only bring about content and remind Liam of his dream to one day show Elisif how much he cared. Striding up the stairs, he smiled upon seeing Elisif and knelt beside her, trying to reassure her as best he could whilst reminding great that as her knight, he would always be there for her and her children with a whisper promising his undying loyalty. "I swear to you, I will always, always be there for you Ellie. Forever, and always."
    Last edited by Daniel_Darkholm; 10-01-2017 at 10:17 AM.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Falk too the request for Liam to be transfered to the Solitude Army and put Elisif's seal on it. He watched as Liam appeared a few moments later, just before the wax had dried completely. "Here, new orders for you" the steward said, handing the request paper to Liam, ordering him to report to Lucine at Castle Dour as soon as he could.

"Twins is when you have more then one child at a time instead of the usual one....or three like I had" Salendrial said to the ever curious Aura. "I am sure, and it wont be as easy as having one, Jarl Elisif, but as it stands with us on the brink of war with Whiterun and Markarth Holds, your life, and those of your unborn children are in danger, and you should go into hiding" she said, turning her attentions back to Elisif. "Are you really going to allow some foreigner to tell you what to do, m'lady? This is exactly what Ulfric fought against! Maybe someone who is stronger should rep-" Thane Bryling started before a voice from the shadows interrupted her. "Maybe you should take Erikur's arrest for treasonous plots as a warning, Thane Bryling, otherwise we'll be having a discussion about this in the dungeons if Elisif orders it" Sybil said, her eyes flashing dangerously. Thane Bryling sat back down, crossing her arms and looking extremely put out that she had once again been rebuffed in her disdain for House Starseer's presence.

The guards at the gate of the city pointed Reila towards Castle Dour as a possible place for Amber to be, it was definitely where her sisters and father were, so they theorized she might be with them.

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

Fantasy, Historical, Parody, Original
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Aura watched Liam kneel before Elisif and furrowed her brows for a moment, knowing that he was so fully in love with Elisif. She turned her attention to Falk when he passed on orders to Liam in an envelope. She was curious what it was and decided she would follow him whenever he left.

"Two babies?" Aura thought for a moment, looking up at the ceiling and then smiled, "I think I have seen that before," Aura seemed to enunciate too much as she struggled to form a proper sentence, "Congratulations, Jarl Elisif," she nodded enthusiastically and smiled widely.

When Liam approached, Elisif felt a pang of guilt in her heart again that deepened at his words. He seemed so calm now. It was nothing like he was back at the Skeever. She reached out hesitantly, but took his hand and looked him in the eyes, "Thank you, Liam. I will need all the help I can get," she released his hand and stood up, finally composing herself.

Elisif was about to respond to Salendrial's suggestion when Bryling interrupted and was quickly cut down by Sybille. Elisif nodded and looked back at Bryling, "It is not your place to make decisions for me, Thane Bryling. Salendrial offers a sound suggestion. I believe I will heed her advice," she said, taking a deep breath before continuing, "Things at the Moot were very tense with Grey-Mane and Silverblood. I have no doubt that they are going to continue to try and get to me in any way they can. I will hide in Morrowind as Ali suggested," she nodded again, walking up to Ali, "Thank you for your assistance. Please let me know if you require anything to prepare for travel. I assume you would at least escort me there and show me around," she laughed lightly, "I would feel very out of place without a proper tour. I suppose I will arrange for travel again. At least I might find some rest on the ship there," Elisif began gathering a few of her maidservants and instructing them on how to prepare for the trip.

Aura grumbled slightly to herself at the Jarl's treatment of Liam, concluding that she was a tease. She walked up to Liam and grabbed his arm, pulling him down slightly to whisper in his ear so that Elisif wouldn't hear, "You see what you want-- take it. Be man. Raven saw and took her. Take her back. She cares for you, too. Don't give up."

With that, Aura released his arm and walked up to the three women, Ali, Salendrial, and Camilla,"What I do to help?" she asked.
    https://i.imgur.com/cFZlNYP.png
    Awesome Signature set by Hayabusa

The Art Vandal

Decent grammar. Limited cringe. That’s all.
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Gates of Windhelm

Beneath the gates of Windhelm rested an unimpressed Che, postured gracefully upon the ebony mare. Having been amongst the first to arrive, the Orsimer parted ways with the Ashlander and her dark sister companions, instead opting to wait for Jo'sha to arrive. As Elisif's troupe passed through, Che studied each individual, stern and unsmiling; at least until the final carriage lumbered into view, finally causing warmth to strike her expression.

"I've been waiting for you," she said to Jo'sha as he approached the gate, just after she gave Aura a friendly nod of acknowledgment as she passed. "How was it riding amongst the servants like a sap?"

Throughout the journey, the Khajiit had kept almost entirely to himself, carving away at a hunk of timber while nonchalantly eavesdropping for Che. "Sap?" he began, pocketing his intricately designed carving. He was unsure of the meaning of the word, yet recognised it as a jibe, judging by her tone. "Khajiit heard everything, as requested, including one guard grumbling about 'the Orc bitch' a time or two." Che and Jo'sha momentarily locked eyes in feigned hostility, before simultaneously giving way to smiles that displayed a familial comfort with insulting one another... much like a brother and sister. Jo'sha snickered. "There also was a small ruckus in the carriage behind us. A mischievous Altmer woman, who carries a very beautiful bow. She was amusing to listen to."

"Aura," Che responded, knowingly. "I met her last night. Our conversation was... different, but she is friendly, at least. Did she say anything?" Jo'sha simply nodded no, just as the Khajiit in armour approached, seeming a bit uneasy. Jo'sha offered Jo'Kar a friendly greeting in Ta'agra, becoming a bit concerned himself at his warning regarding acceptance of their kind within the city. 

Meanwhile, Che once again lost herself in thought, recollecting the interaction that she had with Aura the previous night. So, Elisif is infatuated with the Nord from Castle Dour, is she? How ridiculously laughable. Why would a Jarl ever cavort with a prisoner she had just held? Was Aura high on skooma, or something? Perhaps I am overly cynical, but... fucking hell, these people deserve nothing less, it seems. Che shook her head, mildly exasperated, before mentally labelling every single claim made by the Altmer as entirely frivolous. She was suddenly very glad that she had kept mostly quiet in that conversation. Perhaps she sought to annoy me with pretences, wondering if I am gullible enough to believe anything spewed from her mouth. Well, she thought wrong.

"Shey!" Jo'sha said, startling the Orsimer from these thoughts, as a guard of Solitude strolled up to prod the two of them onwards. "He says to come, lest we fall too far behind."

Candlehearth Hall

Once escorted to Candlehearth Hall, the duo made their way towards the main entrance of the inn. However, as they began to enter, two spears crisscrossed abruptly, halting them at the threshold. Che immediately recognised one of the two who barred their way; he was the guard that she had circled at the camp, earlier that morning. "The inns are quite full," the guard said, addressing Che specifically. "So your Khajiit friend must sleep in the carriages, with the other excess manservants. You, however," he trailed, eyeing Che with the same degree of antagonism that she had given him earlier. "Luckily for you, beds were saved for maidservants. Come." Reluctantly, the two friends parted ways, promising to meet first thing in the morning.

A small while later, Che found herself wandering about the inn feeling a bit lost, before happening upon an empty bath house. Throughout the last two days she had not been afforded much time for cleanliness, so the sight of steaming waters was a welcome sight, one that intensified her awareness of the sweat and soil of the journey. Without second thought, she began shedding all plate and garment that was layered on her person, until she stood there alone and unburdened. Cool air brushed across bare flesh, and she shivered at the feeling before taking a moment to look down at herself. She regarded her frame inquisitively at first, before loathing took over. How truly meagre she looked.

Stepping into the pool, aches were soothed and grime washed away, prompting her to close her eyes at its pleasantness, before submerging herself entirely. As she held her breath, her usually crowded mind became a vacuum of blank thoughts; until an unexpected voice startled her out of her void state of mind. Before her stood the same guard from earlier, holding some sort of bundle in his arm, leaning audaciously against the door frame.

"You know, Orc," said the man, before taking a few steps closer. "After this morning, you got me thinking on the road, musing over just how truly ignorant you are regarding the hierarchy in Skyrim. So, allow me to educate you."

Che's brows knit together in agitation, only her head showing above the waters. Instinctively, her eyes darted over to her pile of clothing, wherein her Orsimer daggers were hidden... and then to the bundle of coin lying beside them

"You poor, poor Orc. You really don't know where you fit in here, do you?" he said in an imitation of how she had spoken to him, earlier. Che opened up her mouth to answer, but was cut off by a garment being thrown at her face. Catching it, she peered down to see that it was a humble Nordic servant's dress.

"I'm not finished," he spat out, before resuming his feigned pleasantness. "Tsk, now. Education comes before questions. So, first, there is the High King," he began as he raised his hand, using his fingers as a visual display to tally each level of power. "This is sure to be Ulfric, the Lord of the Stormcloaks. Then come the Jarls, such as Elisif. These are superior to the thanes, stewards, and housecarls. Do you even know what a housecarl is? Probably not. They are the chief bodyguards, of which Elisif has many. After these, come the guards, such as myself. We are in charge of the vassals who, in turn, are superior to servants. Then, do you know what is below even a servant? They are the dregs: beggars, slaves, rogues, criminals, prisoners, and... prisoners-turned-servant. That, my friend, is your tier here. So tell me: how does that make you feel?"

She frowned, saying nothing, only eyeing the coin with her peripherals.

Annoyed at receiving no response, the guard grunted as he moved closer, appearing to swoop down to seize her items. Knowing she could not save all of it, she prioritised the pouch of gold, clutching it with such ferocity that she breached out of the water, baring herself from the waist upwards. Let him have the rest, then, she thought to herself. As long as I have this.

After grabbing her garments and weapons whilst getting splashed in the attempt, the guard paused to consider her, amused.

"So. There is a woman hidden under there."

Again, she made no response, and he once more continued. "The captain of the guard has granted me watch over you, at my request. That means you will address me with respect. Stay with the maidservants until released by the Jarl, and do remain on my good side. Wouldn't it be sad if Elisif thought that you were conspiring against her city?"

When the guard turned to take his leave, he paused momentarily at the door to address her once more.

"She threatened to hang you, remember? And who do you think the Jarl will believe, should I report you? A loyal guard who has served her for many years, or some foreigner that was found suitable for Castle Dour?"

Windhelm, The Next Morning

Once alone, Che rose from the waters, donning the dress as a means to cover herself. She then spent the night amongst the servants, restlessly considering how to get her armour and weapons back, before waking to an eerily silent inn. The Orsimer felt absolutely torn. On one hand, she had certain instructions from Elisif and the guards, while on the other, a very different set of tasks from the man in black. Weaponless as she was, she became despondent. Where was... everyone? Sighing, Che simply finished packing Elisif's carriage with a servant, keeping an eye out for that guard and her effects, all the while.

"Nice dress," then was heard from a familiar voice, prompting Che to turn to find Jo'sha, smirking at the new garb.

"Er, thanks," was all she said in a dumbfounded response, unused to both dresses and compliments alike.

"What happened to your clothes?"

"A guard took them, as well as my weapons. I'm looking for him."

"Almost everyone has gone to the streets, wishing to see the results of the moot," Jo'sha said, lightly at first, before his tone shifted to ominous. "But these people, Shey. This one just walked amongst them in the market."

"What happened?" she asked, concerned.

He shook his head, dismissively, his facial expression clearly showing that he did not wish to elaborate. "What Jo'Kar said about this city is true. So let us leave this place, Shey, now. No one will notice us as long as this moot is going on, so right now is the time." Jo'sha fervently clutched Che's hand, dragging her towards the door, not even waiting for a response.

"WAIT! Jo'sha, waaaait," she said hesitantly, stopping him. His tawny eyes scoured hers, silently pleading why? The Orsimer exhaled deeply before practically choking out words that felt like the essence of bitterness itself. "We should... stay by Elisif." Aggravated, Che slapped her palm on her forehead. What in all of Nirn was she even saying right now!? Although she didn't really think it was best, it still felt so self-deprecating to verbalise, even in a ruse. "Travelling in this country will be unsafe on our own, so let us return to Solitude alongside Elisif. There we will be paid to..." she paused again, once more hating every single word she was saying, "...recompense the Nord. It is safest."

In truth, she too felt every inclination to run, yet Che stood staunchly, deciding to ignore the instinct. How could she just leave with such a sum of gold, disregarding the stipulation given to her by the man in black? To her, doing so would feel as good as thieving, which caused a sting that she knew too well. Besides, there still was a chance to double the sum, was there not? Sure, she already had enough to help Jo'sha... but couldn't she try to help herself?

Now, if only she could find her weapons.

Return To Solitude

Along the rocky road to Solitude, the two friends huddled in the back of the procession, placed amongst the servant's carriages. As night overtook day and camp was set, Che and Jo'sha stayed up well into the night, eyes directed upwards toward the twinkling above. A tranquil silence lingered over them, until the Khajiit finally spoke up, making an attempt to use the first person pronouns of the Nords.

"I... a... m... proud of you, Shey."

Che groaned, skeptically.

"For?"

"I... see... you... you are better than when we left Cyrodiil," Jo'sha continued, tentatively, wanting to approach the subject with care.

Che winced precariously, before deciding to just spear the subject, head on. "Listen, Jo'sha, you want me to talk? Fine. I'll talk if it makes you happy. First off, I'm sorry I frightened you in Cyrodiil. Second, I want you to know that it doesn't happen often, and I... hate it." Che paused to take a deep breath, her mind flying back to how unrelenting Raven had been when she voiced her concerns with him regarding Elisif. She tried telling him, as best as she knew how, without revealing too much: she couldn't protect anyone, not even herself. But, how do you just tell someone how unpredictable you could be when incited? How do you just tell someone you nearly killed a man while in Berserker Rage, only weeks before?

"Once anger sparks, for me, it is hard to stop the flame from its desire to consume. It makes me feel so narrow, so singleminded, that I literally have to fight to stop me from being... me. In the courtyard, I tried to hide it, but... my blood went hot and my sight turned red. I wrestled against every fibre of my being to resist the urge to crush her into the ground, there and then. My inner self demanded to know just who do you think you are speaking to? How dare she provoke me? Had she threatened me once more, not in her craven approach, I would no longer be able to resist. They would all have seen me g-"

Jo'sha sat up in alarm, cutting her off. "Shey, STOP. No one would have just watched that. They would have stormed down upon us."

She paused once more, looking intently at the stars. "I know. It's all so clear to me, now. They would have stormed on me by the dozen. An entire nation values her life, but I alone see value in mine. Even so, I am something I will never stop fighting for. Nor will I ever, ever see what sets her so apart from me. I am incapable of understanding that. So it is difficult to feel anything but... contempt, for all of them; which is what makes me afraid."

"What are you afraid of?"

"Losing control like I did down in Cyrodiil."

Listening attentively, the Khajiit remained silent a moment, considering her words.

"But you let go of him, Shey. You let go. You took back control."

"I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

Che gave her friend a panged glance.

"Only because of you."

"NO. Because of you. I couldn't stop you. Believe this Khajiit... I... tried."

Another long silence passed between them, until one thing that Aura came rushing back to Che's memory.

"Jo'sha... Elisif is pregnant."

The Khajiit's fur-tufted ears pricked up.

"What does that have to do with anything we're talking about?"

Che paused, considering her answer.

"Nothing, really, I suppose."

And yet, everything. I may have contempt for the mother, but not the child. Far be it from me to ever hurt an innocent.
    Last edited by Leanna; 10-06-2017 at 08:35 PM.

art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

- banksy

Medieval Fantasy, Apocalyptic, War, Zombies
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Wraith watched Liam leave with a renewed confidence, unsure how he felt about the change. On the one hand, it would motivate him to learn to become more knowledgeable, and a more capable warrior, both things Elisif needed of him. But it would also make him more difficult to work around later, once he came into his own. Either Liam would become an asset to the assassin’s machinations, or a hindrance. Only time would tell.

Shrugging, Wraith smiled at Lisette and left. Walking outside he observed the people around him, going about their daily lives. It was odd to him, the thought of having a routine that would occupy most of his time was appalling. Living day to day doing the same thing, with only minimal variation from one day to the next, that wasn’t living. He couldn’t imagine the tedium that they must experience. It was a life he could not contemplate leading, even should he remain with Elisif.

He stopped to consider that thought. As the Listener, his obligations to the Dark Brotherhood would require him to seek out those who prayed to the Night Mother, recruit new members to their ranks, and, in time, monitor the Sanctuaries to ensure their purity. Once he enacted his plan to secure a fortress from Elisif, he would solve most of their recruitment needs in Skyrim, and he would need to gain fortresses in all the lands of Tamriel to accomplish his goals. As for answering the Prayers, all he had to do was let his Speaker(s) know, who would then contact the nearest Sanctuary who would then send a representative. In all actuality, he would have the opportunity to remain here, in Elisif’s court without ever having to leave.

Shaking his head, he laughed at the thought. Unsheathing a dagger, he tested it’s blade with his thumb as he considered whether that would truly ever be an option for a man like him. A man raised from birth to kill, to blend into the shadows of the night or blend in the crowds of the day with equal ease. Even as he nicked his finger he stared at the blood, contemplating the lust it made him feel to spill more. He had slain men with blades and arrows, poison and magic. Murdered innocent and guilty people alike, and with equal alacrity. Unlike most, it was both within his nature and part of his nurturing that he become a killer.

Then he spotted a woman dressed in red and black, a hooded cloak disguising her face from view. Her form was familiar, her movements more graceful than that of the average human and more predatory than man or elf’s. Following her, he followed her into an alley cautiously. When suddenly she turned, holding a flame spell in one hand and a dagger in the other, golden eyes glowing as they matched his silver gaze.

“Good to see you too, Serana.” Wraith said, smiling as he leaned against a wall. “Fancy meeting you here. Isn’t it a little early in the day for you?”

“Wraith.” Serana nodded, releasing the spell as she sheathed her dagger. “It’s been a while.”

Wraith inclined his head, folding his arms over his chest. “You still with that one guy?”

Serana cocked an eyebrow, lowering her hood as she stood in the shadow of a building, revealing her dark brown braided hair. “Why, are you interested?”

Shaking his head, the assassin grinned. “I’m a taken man these days, and she’s not the kind to invite a third into bed.”

The vampire raised both eyebrows in astonishment. “Really? Wraith, debonaire of debauchery, taken? And who captured that blackest of hearts?” she asked with a smirk.

“Now now, I never kiss and tell. Besides, it’s Raven now.” he responded blithely, silver eyes glittering with amusement. “Now tell me, why are you here?”

Serana’s face suddenly became serious. “I’m after a Nightmaster. He’s extremely powerful, nearly as much as one of the Bloodline.”

“A Nightmaster….” Wraith considered the information, an intent expression indicating focused thought. “It’s him, isn’t it? The Blood Prince?”

Serana nodded. “We believe so. Currently, Kyrian is in the Reach, eliminating a coven we believe to be his. After you chased him from Falkreath, he started over there and rebuilt his group of followers, even recruiting Werewolves as protectors during the day while they sleep.”

“Werewolves?” Wraith frowned. “Then he’s become even more of a significant threat. I know he still has his BloodGuard, the Berserker Orcs he turned for the sole purpose of guarding him.”

Serana shook her head. “Watch your back. After the events of Falkreath, he will seek to make you pay for what you did.”

“Thanks for the warning.” Wraith smiled, then shook hands with Serana. “Be well, my friend.”

“Be well. And congratulations on finding a mate finally. Hopefully things will work out.” Serana said, smiling at the Assassin with a familiarity that spoke of a fondness. Walking out of the alley, she left through the gates of Solitude.

As the vampire departed, Morgaine slipped down from the roof, landing on her feet beside him. Eyeing him, she considered her words carefully. “Should we tell the Jarl?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Wraith nodded. “They’re going to need to start issuing each guard a sword of silver as well as steel; and make sure Tar-Shei and Talon do the same. We’re not going to let him come to us, we’re going after him.”

The Nightblade considered the Listener’s words. “Is that wise? Even should we know where he is, we know not how many their numbers are. It sounds like they’re gathering in force.”

“He’ll be somewhere that fits his ego; someplace where he can feel like the Shadow Royalty he believes himself to be. Most likely with a powerful magical connection, and as many corpses as he can find to raise.” Wraith mused, considering their options. “I’ll confer with Elisif, see if she can think of any such place.”

Parting ways, Morgaine went to inform the rest of the Brotherhood while Wraith left the city proper, suddenly feeling the need to be away from people. Strolling from the gates, he waited until he was a fair distance down the road away from the prying eyes of the guards before taking off at a full sprint into the forest on silent steps that agilely stepped off of roots and rocks with an ease that equaled that of a Bosmer’s ability.

A strange chattering and a glob of venom narrowly missing him alerted him to the presence of a pair of giant spiders taller than he was, along with three that were nearly waist-high. Spinning abruptly behind a tree as venom struck the trunk, he released the clasp of his cloak and drew his daggers, feeling the bloodlust fill his veins. It was a powerful feeling, one allowed him to bide his time as one of the smaller ones approached, then strike with a downward thrust into it’s head as it came into view, giving the blade a vicious twist before he leapt back out of the way of yet two more shots of venom being spat from the eight-legged adversaries.

Casting an invisibility spell, he ran for the nearby cliff-face and leapt onto the rock wall only to jump off onto one of the larger spider’s back, stabbing it through the head and yanking the blade towards it’s abdomen even as he activated his Ancestor’s Wrath ability, the flames coursing his silhouette and engulfing the severely wounded spider. Leaping from the dying corpse of the larger spider, he instinctively rolled as an arrow shot by where he’d been a moment ago to strike one of the two remaining smaller ones between the eyes mid-leap. Wraith nodded to Tar-Shei who held an elven bow in hand, then turned and sprinted towards the remaining small one, rolling to the side when he saw it rear back, narrowly dodging the venom as he came up and kicked it in the head, knocking it onto it’s back before stabbing it’s exposed underside and gutted the arachnid.

Sensing a presence behind him, Wraith turned as the remaining larger spider leapt on top of him, two arrows in it’s side evidence of Tar-Shei’s attempts to divert it’s attention. Curling his body as the creature reared back to strike, he planted his feet against the underside of the spider and kicked it back away from him, rolling backwards to gain his feet as he confronted the creature. Seeing the elven assassin a distance away ready his bow, he thrust up a hand to halt him. “No! This one’s mine!”

As if to prove his point, he threw one dagger to bury it hilt-deep into one of the creature’s eyes, making it flinch. Drawing one of his axes, he charged the beast, stepping out of the way of it’s venom once more as he came down with the blade and cleaved through one leg, breaking a second. Pivoting on his heel, he brought the axe to bear once more and removed a third leg, then stepped onto it’s back, shoving it down onto it’s nearly legless side and stabbed it in the head with his other dagger, ending it’s struggles.

Regarding his Silencer as he regained his composure, he narrowed his eyes at the Altmer’s expression. “What?” he demanded, stepping off of the dead arachnid’s back before retrieving his weapons to clean.

Tar-Shei shrugged, replacing his bow in it’s sheath along his quiver before folding his arms over his chest while regarding the Listener. “Why were you out here?” he queried, concern coloring his tone.

Wraith raised an eyebrow, then shrugged. “Not used to being in the same place for so long with all those people. Needed to kill something or someone, so I came out here. Why are you out here?”

Tar-Shei leaned against a tree, shrugging. “Morgaine told me to keep an eye on you. Said you might go looking for the Blood Prince on your own again. After last time, she wanted to make sure you’d have someone watching your back.”

Silver eyes hardening, the Listener regarded the Silencer, who refused to meet his eyes. “Does she think me incapable, or just stupid?” he asked, venom filling his voice.

“Neither. But we don’t know their numbers and if something goes wrong like last time, we want to ensure you have a way out. Nobody wants to be finding you barely alive again.” Tar-Shei stated quietly, his unusual gold eyes regarding the Master Assassin. “You’re the best fighter I’ve ever seen, and your intelligence with your cunning makes you a lethal threat to even the most capable of warriors, but you’re not immortal.”

Wraith’s eyes narrowed, but he nodded and grunted in response. “I appreciate your concern. But it is unnecessary. Let us return to Solitude.”

Nodding, Tar-Shei took up position behind the Listener as they returned to the city, neither aware of the glowing eyes that watched them from a distance. Smiling as the memories spoken of by the two assassins reminded him of their encounter, the Blood Prince stood alone at the top of the cliff above the site of their battle with the spiders, whom he now regarded coldly. Raising a hand, he resurrected the less-maimed of the dead spiders and commanded they follow him back to his new holding that resided a short distance away from the capital of Haafingar.

Soon, he could finish what he started.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Palace, Talon stood by the Jarl as Salendrial Starseer informed the Jarl of their plans which quickly fell on deaf ears as Elisif stopped listening after the word ‘twins’. The look of joy that greeted the younger woman’s face brought a smile to the Dunmer Assassin’s expression, making her reach out to place a hand on the Jarl’s shoulder in comfort. Spotting Liam as he approached and made his pledge, she couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow at his fervor, feeling it to be improper with his role.

It wasn’t that she would prefer the Jarl choose Wraith, but she felt that the boy did not have the maturity nor the confidence necessary to fulfill the Jarl’s less carnal needs, within the court and in personal matters. His lack of conviction in himself and naivete were issues the youth would have to overcome if he was to even think he wanted a romantic role in his Jarl’s life. But at that moment, looking at the young man, Talon wondered if perhaps something had helped him take a step in the right direction.

With that being said, she didn’t see the Jarl’s relationship with Wraith ending in anything other than tragedy. It was an unfortunate fact that the romance stories sang by bards that regarded the relationships of Assassins and nobility held a kernel of truth in that it always seemed to end in tragedy, with one or the other lying in a pool of blood. It was a fate she wished on neither of her masters, and she prayed that both of them knew what they were doing.

Deciding to hold her counsel so as not to speak out of place, she merely listened and nodded as the rest of the meeting finished to completion, ending with the Jarl again preparing for travels. As soon as Elisif finished with her instructions, Talon took both of the woman’s hands into her own as she regarded her. “You should hold a ceremony for the children, allowing all of the gods a chance to bless them through their chosen priests and priestesses.”

A meaningful expression crossed her face as she regarded Elisif. “The chosen of both the Aedra, and the Daedra. A day when even those who are hunted may appear so long as they do not threaten harm to persons or property.”

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Liam had still been smiling happily at the news Elisif was expecting twins when the pale skinned elf lass, Aura, had kneeled down next to him and whispered that if he truly wanted to be with Elisif, he had to be a man and do so; up until then, Liam had only ever thought to be simply be respectful to Ellie. "I'll think on your advice Lady Aura. Thank you.". He glanced over his shoulder to see the court looking at him funny, with Falk gesturing to the sealed document in the Breton's hand in an effort to have the young man open it. With a look of confusion at the situation, Liam opened up the seal and glanced over the document, his face contorting into a look of annoyance and thinly veiled anger at the contents. "With all due respect, I'm not going to be doing this - I have three brothers in this city, Aldis is a skilled commander and we have dozens of other strategists in Haafingar who can help train the troops. For the better part of a month, I've been prevented from doing my designated role - Knight Protector for the Jarl of Solitude. So, instead of leaving the Jarl's side, I'm accompanying her to Solstheim. No further questions."
    At this point in time, Liam's elder brother Thierry spoke up, his tone confident and arrogant. "Oui, I can help train your soldiers in my fathers bastards stead; it's only fitting considering my rank and station as a member of the Leoncourt family." Liam glared at Thierry, the subtle jab at Liam's baseborn origins irritating the young man, who prepared to speak up when the youngest member of the Breton company, Henry "Longstrider" Leoncourt stepped up to defuse the possibly volatile situation "What my idiot of an elder brother means to say, is that Liam, whilst a formidable warrior and respected commander of men would be an asset to the cause, we have more than enough capable men and women to train the armies. Liam would be best suited protecting Her Ladyship in Raven Rock."
    "That, is why he should be fathers heir; smart, strong and capable of diplomacy.. Liam smiled at Henry's words, nodding at the lad politely before turning to Elisif with a grin. "I know what you're going to say, but believe me Your Grace, I did not become your knight to be sent to fight half a world away. I swore an oath before you to protect you from any and all dangers, and I aim to do so - Solstheim is a dangerous region and we don't know what Ulfric Stormcloak has planned. You need someone to look out for you should he try to do something underhanded and as such, I'll be with you when you set sail."

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast