Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RPA Tribune! Issue #24: January 2017

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)

Default The RPA Tribune! Issue #24: January 2017

Well, that's all she wrote for 2016, folks! It's been touted as a terrible year, and while we have had some lows, I think we can all agree that at least here on RPA, it's been a year of highs as well! The Tribune staff would like to dedicate this issue to a wander through the highlights of the last year.

But first! We'd like to wish you a wonderful holiday - Merry Christmas - Happy Hannukah - Joyous Kwanzaa - however you celebrate, we hope you had a lovely time with friends and family, and are feeling as pumped as we are for another year of awesome on RPA! And to start us off in the holiday spirit, here's the featured writing piece - written by Kris for our 12 days of RPA writing competition!

12 Days of RPA
    by Kris

The clock clicked with horrible beating sound, each heralds the coming hour of darkness. It was terrible. More of the upcoming, the idea of what was coming and waiting for it was unbearable. The seconds were minutes and moments and hours. It couldn't have been prolonged much longer. Soon. Soon it was happening as the darkness was approaching. Beads of sweat pour down my nape with anticipation of the coming horror that was lurking 2 minutes to seven. I felt my body shivering as the hour of encounter was drawing nearer and nearer. Part of me wanted to escape, but I knew deep inside it was futile, as I knew there was no getting away.

Not from her.

At least the door opened.

It was G, "DEADLINE!", she said and I screamed in horror.

There was an action melody out of nowhere and I found myself jumping from my chair as I flipped up the office. It's been in here, in the possessions of the RPA admins for ages, but none knew it as best as myself or Gabe.

As G approach, holding so many papers and choirs I quickly sneaked near a wall and climbed up, watching the painting of old admins, that have been here since the departure from the land of Iwaku many years ago. There was a bottle of rum at the upper floor, a token from a misdeed that caused one of the old admins to changed his user name to WTTR.

I ran quickly to the door and locked myself in a room, arming myself, "YOU ARE NOT MAKING ME WORK G!", I screamed.

"But Kris", called G in her childish voice. I peeked only a little to see that her form changed into that of a young girl, "What is it?", I asked from behind the door.

G climbed the stairs, "You don't understand, this time, we have get the tribune ready on time!".

Curious I opened the door a little, watching the form of Tiny G holding into a new musical tool, "Why?", I asked.

She handed to me a small letter that smelled like roses. I moved my eyes over the lines carefully, "A love letter?", I asked slowly, "But from who?"

"I don't know! But he sounds really cute!".

I read the letter again, "We must finish in time, and only then he shall appear?"

G nodded.

This sure sounded serious. But knowing how our everyday life is going to be, we knew there was no way to finish the tribune on time and G may lost a very important romantic partner.

Walking back and forth in the room as G held the letter close to her heart I was storming ideas. And then it hit me. I grabbed her hand as we both reach for the basement. This place was huge, no wonder I loved this office so much.

"This place looks creepy", she said as she gazed around.

"A lot of lost artifacts are ended up being here!", I said, and after searching for few minutes I called out, "There it is". It was a small machine, a very very old smart phone.

"What is that?", she asked, "And how can this help us?"

"Oh! this is a time machine, we can use it to go to the future and get the finish product and go back in time and use it!".

"Kris this is great! you are so smart!"

"I know!", I said with a smile.

I felt the heat striking my nape and the sweat running down my shirt. The situation was… rather dreadful.

"This was a bad idea!", G said to me with anger.

We both struggle with our ties as the rope hanged around our necks. We were on a small stage in front of a crowd, everyone wearing strange cloths. We seemed to have hit some kind of a western setting, and before us was a man with a strange star. Probably the sheriff.

"It was not a bad idea, but it seems we were pushed too far in time and space", I said.

"Any last words?", asked the man, resting his hands on his belt.

"We shot no deputy!", I screamed.

He hit the switch and felt ourselves fall, as the rope tighten around our necks.

I felt the air departing my body. The music became oh so dramatic. I never thought it will be this cheesy to die. And just as the crowd looked at us with hatred in their eyes, and as much as we kept saying that we know nothing and we didn't do anything, we were still forced into the gallows.

We cried and tried to free ourselves, and as I struggled I felt something dropped from my pocket pants down on the ground. I heard weird clicking sound and it was then that my legs gave in.

Just before the rope snapped mine and G's snake a flash of light surrounded us and we both were gone from the scene. Luckily the thing that fall was the time machine and it clicked to transfer us from there.

The only question was...

To where?

"Kris!", asked G, "You okay?"

I barely got up my head when I realized how hurt it was. Time traveling wasn't much fun, "Where are we?"

We both looked up and saw a lot of electrical cords and broken islands floating in space.

"You don't think we are in...?", G started to ask.

"I fear we may be indeed", I answered grimly.

The server move. We moved back in time right back to when we transformed the server to VB 4. So much bodies and lost posts. The office was ruined, but the foundations were still there.

"Dreadful!", I said, "And we better get out of here, because--- oh no!".

Voices coming around us in the form of typhoon. The move as began, and as I dread, if we stayed here much longer, it meant that we will be lost in it forever.

"Just use the time machine!", G cried as we started to run.

"I can't, it was left behind. It only sent us here as it broke to pieces back in the old western world, which I believe was the old downtown area".

"Damn it! Who can save us then!"

"I looked ahead, maybe, maybe this white knight?", I asked pointed ahead.

For a moment there was a image of a white knight but it was quickly replaced with metalic looking warrior riding on a orc.

"IMP!", we both cried.

"Yo!", he said while waving his long hair.

"Get us out of here!", we screamed.

"Ah, you people don't understand the beauty of destruction."

"If we stay here longer, you till will disappear", I said.

He seemed to be lost for a moment in his thoughts, "Good point". He took out a big axe and started to hit something.

We both looked in wonder.

"What are you doing?", G asked. She turned around only to see the tornado getting closer and closer, "OMG! WE NEED TO RUN!".

"Just a little bit more", he hit the axe with more might and boom- There was a crack in the sky, "Perfect!", he whistled to his orc who grabbed both me and G and as Imp jumped into the hole, the orc followed. The crack in the sky closed after, leaving the typhoon behind to run its havoc.

"There they are!", cried the sheriff.

"Oh no!", said G as the orc slowly put her down, "We are back here!".

"Here?", asked Imp, and both him and orc scratched their heads (the orc had no idea why though, he just copied his master).

"Yeah, it all started with us wanting to get the tribune on time, but we ended up following here with the old time machine created by Gabe, and now we are blamed for a murder".

The sheriff nodded, "Of course it has to be you!".

"Why?", asked Imp.

"Because... because...", the sheriff seems lost for words. He then run off crying to a near and fancy house.

"What was that all about?", asked G as she laughed.

The town people looked confused.

"There, there", came a familiar voice and out of the house stepped out Karma, wearing a tight and sexy cowgirl outfit, "Why are you crying my little sexy sheriff", she petted his head as she leaned him against her very exposed chest.

"Karma?", we all asked surprised, "What are you doing here?"

"Well", Karma said slowly, "I was finding myself somewhere lost in the sci-fi section of RPA, and without knowing what's happening, I happen to get into a room with a lot of strange machines!".

"How did you get there?", I asked.

"I dunno, I just followed the signs. I don't even remember why".

"Go on", said Imp.

Karma nodded, "The next thing I did was pressing some buttons because somehow the door closed behind me"

"And you weren't bothered by it?!", I asked, shocked.

"Well.. no... Should I have?", Karma said with horror upon her face.

"No, no", I said sarcastically, "Go on, please".

"The next thing that happened", Karma said, "A portal opened, I recognized the place right away. Or at least I thought I did! It looked like downtown... but so much different... like it was some years back!".

"And you decided to jump in?", Imp asked, somewhat excited about finding new discovery.

"Well, no", Karma said slowly, "Someone pushed me in"

Everyone gasped.

"And so!", Karma described as she sobbed, and everyone shed a tear, "I fall down, down the rabbit hole, and soon ended up in old downtown. The men took pity of me and soon made me their mayor".

"How does that even work?", I asked.

"I dunno.. but they were so hot! I couldn't say no!".

"Okay guys, focus, focus, we are losing it here!", G said.

"What do you mean?", Imp asked.

I clapped my hands; "Of course", I passed the mysterious letter that G got, "So you see, in order for G to meet her lover".

"We gotta finish the tribune in time!", Karma said excited, "Well, I go and get kicks and work on graphics right away!"

Imp smiled, "Well the jokes ain't going to be written by themselves, I'll go grab Nazzy!", Imp pushed up his pants and started working as well.

"I'll contact the group. TheBarbarian, Denraven, Notty and Dnafein. Together with my drawing, we can get one epic Tribune just before the holidays!", I said.

G seemed pleased

And so we worked, and worked. And just before the deadline (27/12) we had the issue ready and printed.

Excited everyone raised a glass and they all seemed pleased.

"So", I said slowly, "Now all we have to do is wait for the man to show up".

"He won't come!", G said and lowered her gaze.

"Oh, please, of course he will come, what man would pass a chance with you!", said Kicks.

"He won't come", G said with a low voice and we all looked at her with sadness in our eyes.

"Why?", Imp asked.

"Because…", G started to speak.

"Because…", G said slowly with a grin on her lips, "I faked it all!".

Everyone gasped in horror. I was unable to react. My worst nightmare was coming true. I felt my reality shifting further and further from me. She used us, knowing each and everyone one of our weaknesses.

By creating the letter G made a false sense of heroism in me, and the whole romantic lead was getting me hooked, as she planned. Knowing that Imp was an explorer, she let him know about the rift in time, and maybe pushed him into the zone, along with Karma… who I guessed she didn't work that hard to get her lost, but enough to keep her stay in a city full of sexy cowboys and Christmas parody songs about noodles.

But why, why?

I looked in horror at the time.

DEADLINE *thunder sound effect*

She got us wrapped on her little finger to get the tribune done in time. How wicked of her. I felt my power of motivation sleeping away from me as I crouched on the ground defeated by the admin G.

And once the drama and horror was gone, because I kept true to the theme so far, I can only say that once the Tribune was out, we all got to relax and enjoy the holiday while appreciating what we were giving to RPA for the holidays. It was then that we all raised a glass and wished each other a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah and good year while sitting beside a tree made of paper (old tribune articles) lighting the beautiful candles of the Menorah with oil.

END.

Spoiler: Great New RP's looking for players! 
    Click here daily to vote for RPA!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)

The King of Gods has been slain, causing chaos and strife throughout the heavens. All of the Gods have been forced out of the heavens, their home. They fell as falling stars upon the planet Earth. Their powers have been greatly diminished as they now wander the mortal realm. Not only have their powers been taken, but their immortality as well... The Gods themselves are now vulnerable to the weaknesses of the mundane human...

The Throne of Gods transports us to a world where even those once more powerful than you could imagine must strive alongside the lowliest mortal to find their way. With the King of Gods out of the picture, who will rise to claim his seat... and who will fade into mediocrity?

Here's a taste of the I

"Somebody, help! Help me!" it was a familiar voice, one that Danero would immediately recognize. It belonged to Natasha, and from a distance, they could see that the poor mother was attempting to free her daughter. Their car was caught in the cross-fire of the Colonel's madness, and it landed right at the edge of the bridge and was at the brink of falling. Natasha managed to free herself, but Lucie was stuck in the passenger seat. Natasha attempted to rip off the seat-belt that strapped her daughter, but it was completely jammed and she didn't have anything sharp enough to cut the restraints. "Help me!" she cried out, searching desperately for aid.

"You can help her out if you want, we won't stop you," Hawkins nodded towards Danero, before glancing back and forth between Tyrace and Ember in a warning not to do anything. "It won't help you anyway, in the end," the Colonel said aloud. "In the end, you all will be dead."

"You see, my dear sister," Malphas began very slowly, her malevolent demeanor never ceased. She circled around the barrier, like the prowler she was. "This is my greatest illusion yet. I caused you to believe that you were finally free from your cage, but it is all a lie. You are still here, in Hades, and nothing more than a rat inside of my domain."

Selrina's fists tightened, but her eyes widened with fear as if they saw something that the others could not. She swallowed hard, trying to fight back this fear. "No... it can't be true," she simply muttered. "You don't... you don't have the power..."
    That's just a taste of what the award-winning Throne of Gods series has to offer, so what are you waiting for? Get reading!

Redkayne has taken the title of Best Overall GM the last two years running, and with multiple Hall of Fame roleplays under his belt it doesn't come as a surprise. We went straight to the source to ask him about what he thought makes a really great Game Master.

Hey Kayne! Thanks for agreeing to help out with this!
    Not a problem! I'm glad to be given the opportunity.
    So among others, you took home the Best Overall GM award for the second year running! You must be pretty happy with that!
    Indeed! Its always awesome to receive a reward like that, but I'm mainly happy that the talented players of RPA enjoy my stories so far!
    What qualities do you think are really important for a good gm?
    Actually, I believe that a lot of leadership qualities can be incorporated into a good GM. Personally speaking, my experience in [Reserve Officer Training Corps] has taught me a lot of leadership lessons - and I apply those traits into the way I gm. Examples include motivating your players, being empathetic and understand them, but also discipline when needed.
    That's interesting! And all very good points. Inspiration doesn't seem to be a problem for you either - you've won awards for arena characters, roleplays and gm'ing for the last three years! Where do you draw inspiration?
    Creating stories has always been a favorite pastime of mine since childhood. However, my main inspiration is always self-improving myself as a person. This applies to RPA - because I constantly strive to improve upon my writing/roleplaying/GM skills as well.
    I agree - there's always room to grow and improve! On that note, what methods would you suggest to gm's looking to hone their skills?
    Dedication is vital - players need to know that their GMs are dedicated to them and the RP, otherwise they would prefer not wasting their time. Communicating to your players is also critical - be open to your players and let them know progress on GM posts and stuff like that, but also have an open-door policy and remind players that you are always willing to listen to feedback or address any concerns. Finally, be personable to your players - this is one I'm still struggling a bit with my writing persona, but players should enjoy roleplaying with the type of person you are.

"The only real stumbling block chefs have is fear of failure.
    In cooking, you've got to have a "What the hell" attitude."
    - Sef

The second installment of the Throne of Gods series brings us Sef, God of Cooking - not your run of the mill, everyday kind of God. But in an age where food is revered in a way that rivals art and war, he is no soft-boiled egg, either. With an array of abilities that will leave you cooked and a rapier wit, he's definitely a character to be watched.

Sef had went to Mechanus to get answers, and ended up involved in a battle against creatures known as Titans. He didn't exactly WANT to fight, but he couldn't just sit by and let the things slaughter the homunculi and his fellow deities. Having been stationed as a front-line defender to keep airborne targets at bay, Sef was at least happy he could keep others safe from the attackers they could not handle themselves.. Really, he WAS more suited to front-line combat than many other gods... but he hated the fact they had to fight. Were it up to Sef, they would all sit down over a delicious meal and discuss things. If it fell to fighting AFTER that, then he would be all too willing to engage in combat.

"Hey, Z. Don't suppose there's a way we can convince these things to negotiate over dinner, is there?" said Sef with a chuckle as he prepared himself for the inevitable. Shame that it had to come to blows, honestly. Still, he couldn't really just back out and let everyone down. If he did that, how many more people would die and miss out on the incredible victory feast that he would no doubt prepare? Oh well... for the time being he would just take out every airborne enemy he could.
    Check out his full profile here: Sef God of Cooking, by Beta.

Now, we find out more about Sef and character creation from the author himself; Beta.

So - You picked up two awards with 'Sef: God of Cooking' in this years RPA Awards! What do you think made Sef such an outstanding character?
    Honestly, I'm not really sure. I think it was a combination of the character himself and how he was played. I always tried to incorporate cooking puns into his dialogue, and all of his special moves follow that same theme. All in all, I think it was just a fun character that people enjoyed. It's actually quite humbling to have one character win two awards in the same year.
    I bet! You should be proud as well; especially as one of them was Best Overall Character! He also won 'funniest character.' How would you describe Sef's sense of humour? Is it styled after your own?
    I would attribute a fair amount of his humor to my own sense of humor, but it is not entirely mine. A good chunk of his personality can also be traced to the character he is loosely based off of. Who, you might ask? The protagonist from one of my favorite anime and manga series. Wait? Beta watches anime? Yep. I sure do.
    Do you often draw from media as inspiration for your characters? Where else do you look for ideas?
    The sources of my inspiration are notoriously inconsistent. Sometimes it is something as blatant as a TV show or character that I like, sometimes it can be something as simple as a song I hear on the radio while heading to the store. If I am straight-up seeking inspiration, I will usually binge on my favorite TV shows and web series. If that doesn't work, then I will read a book and listen to music at the same time.
    Well, whichever way you do it, it's obviously working - Sef isn't your only award-winning character! You also took home Best arena character, with Anna Jacobson. What do you think really set her apart from
    our other Arena fighters?
    Her nomination alone took me by surprise. She wasn't in the rumble, and I hadn't really use her very much before. Something in my recent fight with m139 must have made people really like her. As for what sets her apart, I don't honestly know. She's ferocious, strong-willed, and she's really psychotic. Maybe people just enjoy that combination. Now that I know people like her so much, expect to see a lot more of her in the future.
    Yeah, it is impressive to see a character outside of the Rumble take home the award! Would you consider using her for future Rumbles? How do you think she'd fare?
    I would absolutely love to use her in future Rumbles. As for how she would fare, I don't really know. You can never know what to fully expect once the rumble rolls around. I would certainly go for the gold and make her fight as hard as she could, but there are plenty of other people out there who want to do the same and will push their characters to win just as hard. Still, I think I would have a damn good chance at the finals.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see! So what advice would you offer for people when writing their own characters?
    I would say to make a character that you enjoy. You can fill a character sheet with all of the information in the world, and make it so everyone around you is impressed... but if you do not enjoy the character your self, then they will never live up to their full potential. It isn't about how much detail there is this. It isn't about super powers or abilities they do or do not have. A character is an extension of your creativity. If you let it stagnate, it will go to waste. If you love what you are doing with it and make sure to keep at it, then the sky is the limit.
    Well said! Thanks a bunch Beta!
    Any time.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)

This years Rumble was a hell of a ride - with only limited spots available in the 2016 tournament, the competition was fierce to take home that first place title. Let's look back at some of the Rumble's most brutal and breathtaking moments, like this moment of reflection in the belly of the beast as Elena Malstrom fought The Puppet;

The creature stood up from behind a barricade of corpses. The humanoid monstrosity stood at the towering height of seven-and-a-half feet. It had a slender figure, but four wiry arms attached to its mechanical torso. The poncho wrapped around its body was lit by the flames, but the creature paid no heed. In fact, it was difficult to discern the emotions of the abomination - because of its completely blank face.

This is what the final battle has come to. A captain of the Holy Templar Order must face a mechanical puppet that mocks the face of humanity. All within the belly of the world-eater, the Leviathan. This is what Elena Malstrom needs to overcome, before she could finally face her brother...
    The combatants didn't know what would be thrown at them, with our judges coming up with new and different challeges in every round; for example, N's malevolent mirror-images in Round 1;

Uai watched intently as her 'mirrored' self began to copy her movements mere moments after she herself began them. It was an odd feeling, as if watching yourself from another's eyes in slow motion. Uai watched her claws- but then, they weren't really her claws- tear open a wound in her side. An echo of the dull pain she had felt then rung in her body, reminding her of her own mortality.

Instead of aiming the stones at her opponent, or even her opponent's shadow, the other-Uai aimed her projectiles at the real Uai, launching three phantom blood-stones at her. The mirrors behind and around her multiplied the projectiles by hundreds, throwing off her vision of them, effectively blinding her to their true position.
    But whatever the challenge, our members proved themselves worthy of the task, battling through to the bitter end.

Lucy Ferr is your regular, run-of-the-mill, sweet, grandmotherly type... unless you cross her. Then her penchant for violence gets a free reign, and though she might not look like much, this senior packs a serious wallop!

Between her semi-automatic and her ability to knit her seemingly endless supply of magical yarn into anything she chooses, you might want to be polite to this old lady!
    [by XMAS SPIRIT!]

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)

by Dnafein

Dead Rising 4 - GREATEST Holiday Game EVER!

Enjoy-ability: 4/5
    Graphics: 5/5
    Accessibility: 4/5
    Overall:9/10

This month Kris and Juni are bringing us some delicious holiday treats!

Spoiler: Sufganiyah by Kris 

Spoiler: Gingerbread House by Panda_Frog 

by Kris

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)

Ooh, what's this? It's a brand new Tribune! Happy 2017, everybody <3

Month the of Member November
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Some interesting bits as usual. I like the variation of topics.

edit: I also had an idea for a feature. each month you could list all the new roleplays that reached Hall of Fame.
    Last edited by Crazywolf; 01-05-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

June Member of the Month

I only have "favorites"
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Beautiful issue! I love the take out!
    If the gold does not stay in this world,
    then I will chase it till I find my home

One and only
    Parody
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Maybe another feature is we make a collage of the pictures from the posting pictures of yourself threads?

I had fun reading this!

Spoiler: Omac has left the building... 

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)

I like that idea Omac! However we would need permission from everyone we post pictures of! I would quite like to make collages of the eyes/smile threads, that would be pretty cool!

- - - Updated - - -

One and only
    Parody
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

What if you made a new thread and say that anyone who posts a picture below will end up in a collage?

Spoiler: Omac has left the building... 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast