Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Angel of the Night (Holey & Angel) IC

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"Not interested in men, are you?" The knight was a bit disappointed, and merely shrugged. "A shame. Quite the shame indeed." It was unfortunate, but he still held an interest in seeing the runes. He didn't seem quite as interested in the woman, anymore, and figured there wasn't currently much reason to waste anymore time trying to get to know her for the time being. Still, there was one thing that he figured he should ask.

"What's your name, anyway?" He asked as he let the woman show him towards the holy sites. "I'm Harold, a dragon slayer. I suppose I'm not all that well known around here, yet... but I expect that will change once I start to save villages from dragon raids, and such. Do any of the villages around here sacrifice young women to dragons in order to spare their village, like they do further north? Because that's pretty disgusting."

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

"I never said I wasn't interested in men. Just that I am sworn to my mistress." Fleur said, thinking her relationship with Varvara must seem strange to a mortal who didn't know what she was. Angels were sworn to their deity before anything else. They loved them unconditionally, their deity would always come before any other love. Some deities took advantage of this love others did not. Varvara was of the former but only with her most favorite of angels. She never forbid any of her angels from taking lovers but it was always understood that she came before any other.

"My name is Fleur, and I have heard of you before. I am not of this land, I come from far away but tales of your exploits have reached by ears." She continued on the road for walking next Harold listening to his questions, when he reached the comment about sacrifices a frown crossed her face. She didn't know much about dragons taking sacrifices but was pretty knowledgeable with the practice among gods. It was a much older practice not found in many places, while there were still some gods that enjoyed them it wasn't all of them. The power a deity received from most sacrifices wasn't what mortals believed it would be. Mostly due to the willingness of the sacrifice, only those who willing gave their life to their gods gave the most power. Whereas most had unwilling sacrifices and only garnered minimal power. Varvara condoned the practice many years ago wanting to be seen as a friendlier loving goddess. "Not that I am aware of. It doesn't seem like a wise idea and would only encourage the dragons."

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"Oh... I suppose..." It didn't make a whole lot of sense to Harold, though he was familiar with the way many clergy members devoted themselves to their deities and refused to marry. Still, the woman who had called herself Fleur didn't speak like a clergy member at all... most priestesses would refer to Varvara as their goddess, yet she constantly used the term mistress. As if they had a master-servant type relationship rather than one of worship. Strange.

"Fleur..." he repeated her name. "A beautiful flower. The name certainly suits you," he gave a slight nod to her, still confused as to how to treat her. "I didn't realize I was that well known... guess world travels far, these days. Who'd have thought?" He knew much of the destruction caused by dragons, and the way they ruined lives, so sacrifices were not anywhere near the most vile of their tendencies.

"It's a terrible idea," he agreed. "But so many humans are so very dumb. They think that by sacrificing a few, they can save the rest of their village, but in the end, they're no less evil than the dragons. I have a difficult time feeling any sort of pity or remorse for those who would cause harm to the innocent out of cowardice."

Thinking for a moment, he figured out another reason why the towns devoted to Varvara might remain safe from dragons. "Say..." he said, "Does Varvara employ many paladins as dragon slayers? I didn't see any in town, but they could have easily been out on missions at the time, right? This seems like an effective method of keeping them at bay..."

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

"Mistress Varvara," Fleur said, emphasizing the use of an honorific with the goddess' name. "Sacrificing a young girl or paying tribute to a dragon only works until the dragon realizes that by terrorizing the lands he is being rewarded." Fleur didn't have an true experience with dragons having been taken from her father at such a young age but something about pure blood dragons bothered her. They never did anything if it did not suit their own gain. The few times Varvara had hosted dragons in the heavens they had been concerned only with what they could get. Several had been quite harsh with the servants granted to them during their stay. She didn't understand why her mistress worked with the dragons, but it wasn't her place to question it.

"There are a few knights in my mistress' service but they mostly stay to the larger cities. My mistress much prefers to do her work in the shadows." Fleur said, a smile coming to her face at her joke, "She is the goddess of the night afterall."

We Are Warriors

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"Sacrifices and tributes seem to continue either until they can no longer afford to pay," the knight commented, "Or someone puts an end to it. Either way... it's a vile practice, conducted by cowardly, weak people who refuse to stand up to the tyrant themselves." Thinking for a moment, he shrugged. "Granted, not everyone has the power to fight a dragon... in fact, most don't. But there's a reason why men like me exist. Those with power... have a responsibility to protect those without. Noblesse oblige, they call it."

Her comment on the knights still didn't explain why the small town of Lucia was spared the wrath of the dragons... in fact, with paladins hunting them, it made more sense for them to target the smaller, unprotected towns as a way of striking back. There was still something the woman wasn't telling him... either because she didn't know, or because she kept it a secret. Her comment about working in shadows tended to imply the latter.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

"To service is the greatest honor of all." Fleur said, realizing they were a fair distance from the city now. She could strike at him now as they were alone on the road but every so often they would be passed by another traveler. She couldn't risk one getting caught in their battle if they came along. They would have to keep going a while further, which meant she had to keep with the small talk until then. "How does one become a dragon slayer? I can't imagine there are schools on the subject."

We Are Warriors

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"I suppose it depends on who you're serving," the knight remarked with a shrug. "Helping people out and making peoples lives better is a good thing," he stated. "Saving them from the monsters that plague them is also good... provided they are unable to save themselves, of course. There's a difference between cowardice and powerlessness."

"But blindly serving someone whose intentions are less benevolent... definitely not for me." He chuckled. "I don't think I could ever serve someone without knowing for certain that their cause is the right one. I tend to question everything, never accepting anything at face value." He looked over at the beautiful face of his guide. "Perhaps that's why I could never devote myself towards religion. I'm not trying to offend, I've just seen too much corruption in my time to believe in any religious dogma."

"Technically, one becomes a dragonslayer by slaying dragons," he said with a shrug. "But much training and preparation is required in advance. Any accomplished warrior can study dragon physiology and learn of their weak points, although acquiring dragonbane weapons is more difficult. But dragons are typically considered to be boss fights... meaning a group of mortals tends to be required to kill them. I suppose you could say I'm an exception to that particular rule... but I also possess a rare ability. Which is a secret, so don't tell anyone," he said in a slightly teasing tone.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Fleur cringed at the mention of dragonsbane, being half dragon it was just as dangerous to her as it was to full blood dragons. While she was training her superiors had thought by using it was helping her to become stronger. The use of it had taught Fleur to always be on guard and block the attacks coming at her but she had been injured many times. At the completion of her training her superior had given her a dragonsbane sword that she had never used instead preferring to use a spear. The sword was locked in a case under her bed never used. "Everyone must have faith in something. While humans are corruptible gods are not." Fleur said, turning down a side road that would lead to the runes.

We Are Warriors

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

It wasn't lost on Harold the way this woman cringed at the mention of dragonbane weaponry. He did sense some sort of draconic-based energy from her, but it was different from that of a true dragon. A half-dragon, perhaps? That would certainly explain her aversion to dragonbane weaponry. And since half-dragons tended to take on the nature of their dragon parent... Fleur's dragon side would need to be of Metallic origin, since she didn't seem to be of an evil sort.

"No offense," he said, "But saying deities are incorruptible is a load of utter bull feces. There are corrupt, evil deities all over the place... most of them support the chromatic dragons in their recent war against the mortal races of this world. But being a deity most certainly does not make them good... otherwise, these deities wouldn't be killing each other lately."

"The main difference between what we refer to as gods and mortals is that the deities gain power through the faith of their followers. While it shapes them to some degree, it doesn't make them perfect, or anywhere near perfect. And I cannot bring myself to hold any sort of unquestioning faith towards an imperfect being. Though I don't worship him as his kin do, I still hold an immense degree of respect for Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon... and immense hatred towards his equally powerful sister, Tiamat. Both of these dragons are far more powerful than any deity worshiped by humans. Yet one is good, and the other evil. It is no different among deities."

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Everything Harold said set Fleur's blood to a boil, it went against everything she had learned in her life. From as long as she could remember her tutors taught her of the importance of the gods and hope they always knew what was right through divine right. She had been taught that she must have faith in them and never question her goddess. They weren't far from the runes now, Fleur could see that there was no one around. It would be the perfect time to strike at her target. She had never sent her spear away and had been using the butt of it as a walking stick though she didn't really need it. Her strength was such that a few mile walk wouldn't tire her, she could fly for hundreds of miles without wearing out. She took another step, longer than the ones she had been taking allowing her to get a step ahead of Harold and spun her spear around toward his throat one side of the double axe racing to him with enough strength to decapitate his head if it made contact.

We Are Warriors

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast