Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Peaks Academy: Paradigm Shift (OOC/Signup)

A Dandy Guy in Space
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Bark
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would rather stick with Ayame if I can. I dropped Isabella to play as her and I don't really want to spend this RP playing as someone else

Thanks to Karma for the dandiest set
    Spoiler: RPs I'm in 

Antivan Crow
    No Romance or Furry.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    I don't really want to spend this RP playing as someone else
    I can understand that, I can. Last thing I will say is that this is, again, a one-off event. The S1 Legend characters will not be played beyond this tournament. If you are so against it, then I guess you dont HAVE to take part... but you will probably be bored with only posting Ayame's reactions to the fights. Up to you, I guess. I wont force you to take part if you really dont want to.
    Spoiler: Neat Stuff Within 

A Dandy Guy in Space
    Bark
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I mean, it being a one-off event is part of the reason I don't want to make a character for it, but I'll leave it at that. I appreciate you respecting my opinion all the same

I'll have a post up this week, gotta finish a paper first

Thanks to Karma for the dandiest set
    Spoiler: RPs I'm in 

High Octain Action
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Name: Albert Bosko

Appearance:

Occupation: Woodshop Teacher, Certified Basic Armed Combat Instructor

Nationality: Polish

Sex/Gender: Male

Fighting Style: Vale Tudo(3rd Dan equivilant), Sayokan, Weapon Master (Polearms, Longswords, Knives, Tonfa, Batons, Sectioned Staves, ect.)

Powers: Arsenal: Albert has exclusive access to a small pocket dimension he calls "The Arsenal". He can take anything out of this space and put it into our reality at any time, or put anything from out our reality into his Arsenal (So long as it is less than his body mass and not living). What this means is that he had the ultimate in concealed weaponry on him at all times, even when he sleeps.

Personality: Albert rolls with every punch he takes, never taking anything too seriously and never letting himself get too involved with things he deems "too much of a downer". He is overly confident, overly excitable, and very much so overly happy. Everything is nice, wonderful, and can never go wrong. He's always the big guy, or the hero, inserting himself into conflicts just because he can. He is happy being the middle man to anything on the up and up with the law. He absolutely hates lawbreakers and delinquents, not afraid to deal with then either through the security team or himself. He does what he can to help who he can, though tends to downplay his actions in favor of boasting about his skill.

Background: Albert has never once been without something in his hand to hit people with. When he was a baby, it was spoons. In school, it was an assortment of pipes and baseball bats. By the time he reached High School age, his parents followed the advice of one of New Peaks recruiters and decided that, if he wanted to hit people, he could do it far away from them. As it turns out, this was exactly what Albert needed to shape up, a little.

During the course of his training he mastered all sorts of ways to hit people and all sorts of new things to hit people with, eventually favoring the polearm as his weapon of choice. After being one of the few students to reach the rank of S1, he left New Peaks for a few years in his pursuit of the true right to call himself Weapon Master. His training took him to Japan, Tibet, America, England, Africa, and most of the rest of the world before finally returning to his homeland of Poland to test his skills against one of the local weapon masters.

After completing his training he received an offer from New Peaks. They were short on teachers that specialized in armed combat and needed someone to fill the position. While hesitant at first, he thought back to all the trouble he gave the staff while he was there. All the unsanctioned fights, injuries, and trash talking that made him one of the least desirable fighters in the whole school. He decided that there would be no better man to reform delinquents than a reformed delinquent like him and took up the job. He now lives on campus, awaiting the next year so that he can start up his career as an educator at New Peaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dawscombine; 04-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Antivan Crow
    No Romance or Furry.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

After a short dispute, I am limiting each player to a single S1 character submission at a time. There is a limit to how many of them that have existed, and therefore the slots for them are restricted. Should there be an issue with your initial submission and you prefer to start anew over making edits, then a second submission will be allowed.
    Last edited by Salroka; 03-29-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tina Martel, S1 extraordinaire

Name: Tina Martel
    Occupation: Used to work for NASA, but has returned to the ring after an incident left her without a job.
    Nationality: Canadian
    Sex/Gender: Female
    Appearance:
    Spoiler: You Guys Might Recognize This One 

Tina Martel is a stocky, towering, intimidating woman with a powerful glare to match her punch. Her muscular arms and tree trunk-like legs contrast with her somewhat rounder midsection to form a heavyweight physique that can be effectively described as "solid". She looks unmovable and unphaseable at a glance, like any attack thrown her way would merely bounce off with zero effect, and indeed it would take quite a lot to take such a sizable woman down. She holds herself with a confident, self-assured posture, walking with no slouch to be at her full height at all times, and although she's only 6'0 -- tall for a woman, but nothing incredible -- she looks much larger even to people taller than her, to the point of seeming to look down on everyone regardless of height. Everything about her seems to scream not to mess with her; a fittingly hostile demeanor for a terrifyingly hostile person.

Fighting Style: Heihuquan (Black Tiger) -- she uses her power to enable her to use all forms of the art at least semi-effectively, from the more acrobatic and light-footed parts to the more low-to-the-ground stances and brutally powerful punches. She also occasionally deviates from her style to attempt devastating full-body attacks -- low-risk high-reward maneuvers that leave little room to counter due to her mass, which she performs as unpredictably as possible. Generally match-ending if such moves succeed, though most high-level fighters won't fall for them unless she sets things up just right. She has technically "practiced" this fighting style for 14 years, since she was 15, though having been mostly out of practice since graduating and only having picked it up again within the last year, she only truly has more like 5 years of real practice. A bit short for a professional fighter, but her temper, gusto and power help bring her up to par.

Powers: Self-gravitational shifting. This power is relatively self-explanatory; Tina can shift her own personal gravity up or down 50%, making herself that much lighter or heavier, on command but not immediately. Imagine she has to turn a sort of internal valve to get her gravity to where she wants it -- the change takes a little while, if only four or five seconds to go fully from one extreme to the other, gradually shifting the further the valve is turned. Naturally weighing around 300 pounds lets her shift from 150 to 450, allowing for a much wider range of mobility vs. mass than most fighters.

Personality: Tina is a generally very self-involved, cynical woman, who sees no point in conforming to what she refers to as "society's trite, unspoken postulates of false courtesy and polite facsimile". She is universally blunt and contemptuous towards essentially everybody, and particularly towards those she sees as physically or emotionally weak, or of low intellect. The only people she gets along with in any sense are those who don't bother her, since she isn't (usually) hostile to those she has no reason to pay any mind to. Though she was raised Canadian, she seems to relate more to the Canadian goose than to any of the country's human inhabitants, and her accent is all but nonexistent due to having spent most of her life in America. Much of her apathy stems from a history of social reclusiveness, but her hostility comes more from the great stress she is under at all times, mostly from external pressure and her inability to relax. Since losing her job, her already high stress has increased exponentially, making her temperamentally explosive -- smartly, she channels this into her fighting, her inner rage making up for her rustiness. At the very least, she has become noticeably happier since starting back in on fighting, having plugged back in to her tried and true method of stress relief. Her combination of brutal fighting style, unpredictability, sheer mass and unbridled, energetic hatred of the world make Tina a force to be reckoned with, and it's little wonder she managed the rank of S1 as easily as she did in her student-hood.

Background:
    Spoiler: Long version, just so the post isn't too big 

Probably Unnecessary Summary: Tina, stressed and fat as she approached high school age, outsmarted her somewhat neglectful upper middle class parents into letting her attend New Peaks so she could exercise and take out her frustrations. She then rose through the ranks by sheer force of pure concentrated anger, gained a still overweight albeit much stockier, more powerful physique, discovered her useful gravity power, mastered a brutal martial art and became an S1, winning both her senior year tournaments. She then got a college degree and somewhat briefly worked for NASA, got fired, and came back to fighting to relive her glory days.
    ------
    Don't fail fight school. Here's my S1. I got really into this one, I gotta say, but I also typed all the backstory in one go kind of late at night, when I get all my best and worst ideas. Can't tell which ones are which. Hopefully this turned out okay but I won't be able to tell 'til I get some sleep. Or until someone tells me.
    Last edited by Standatrocity; 04-17-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Immortal Goddess
    Fantasy, Yaoi, Romance, Adventure
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Name: Nrajah
    I.D. Number: 84395167
    Year: Graduate
    Nationality: Egyptian
    Sex/Gender: Female
    Appearance:

Fighting Style: Nanshequan (17 years) and Sanda (No Ranking System)

Powers: Taipan Toxins (Nrajah’s fingertips/fingernails ooze a sickly magenta liquid and her Nanshequan strikes inject a very localized dose of venom into her foes. This venom causes intense pain and moderate swelling at the injection site. Depending on the dosage, the venom can cause temporary paralysis to the area affected.)

Personality: Nrajah is very flirtatious and she uses her feminine wiles in everything she does. She is dangerous, just like a taipan. She loves to play mind games with her victims. She is humble in her accomplishments. Her mind works extremely fast, and thus she is very adaptable. Nrajah likes to laugh and she loves to read. Though a dangerous combatant in the ring, she is quite kind and approachable in her day to day life. Singing is a hobby for her.

Background: When Nrajah attended New Peaks she was at the top of her class. They thought of her as a prodigy and rightfully so. She rarely lost a match and many thought of her as a force to be reckoned with. Nrajah grew up in Egypt, far be it to know how she managed to get to New Peaks. Stories tell of her being sent to New Peaks to learn how to better control her special abilities. She stems from a line of royalty. Nrajah grew up not understanding why she was the way she was, but throughout her life she learned to embrace her difference and channel it into power.

Within her first year upon arriving at New Peaks she had won every match she was ever placed in. She won tournament after tournament, only losing to a specific individual who she still has quite a distaste for. Her venom developed over time, becoming even stronger through her will alone. She trained and became a lethal weapon. Nrajah's Egyptian roots played heavily in her fighting styles. She embraced many styles but excelled in two. Her ability to overcome obstacles and adapt made her a dangerous adversary.

Nrajah easily became an S1 ranked fighter through hard work and dedication. Even though there was talk about her not being a fit fighter to represent the school, she overlooked the discrimination and focused on proving the naysayers wrong. When she graduated, she vowed to help any parahuman by showing them the better way. She went on to star in movies, graduate from college with a Bachelors degree, and became a well known figure in the martial arts world. One thing that many will tell you about Nrajah, "Beware her tail, it's bound to crush bone."
    ====
    Now don't fail fight school and enjoy this S1 character.
    Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 04-18-2017 at 01:05 AM.
    Special thanks to Poison Ivy for the awesome sig and avy set.
    Spoiler: The Return of a Story You May Want to Join!! 
    Follow me on Twitter JP_Yolance *Follow me on TikTok Divine Divia JP
    *Follow me on WattpadJeimseu P

Romance, Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Comedy, Slice of Life
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

It's alright, my schedule is busy recently anyway so you can forget about my character. Thank you for the critique, it will help me make better character biography's in the future.
    Last edited by ZiekwaltZier; 04-08-2017 at 06:22 AM. Reason: My schedule is to busy now.
    I have nothing important to say here.. But enjoy some sparklies in my signature! uwu

Antivan Crow
    No Romance or Furry.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Ok. Review time for AlisterVanKleiss.

The first thing I notice is that you are using a fictional martial art. Unfortunately that is not something that is allowed in this RP. Please find a real-world art to practice. I apologize if that ia a problem, but I have held everyone else to that same standard.

Next up is the power. The ability to tie up and immobilize an opponent in a fight is incredibly powerful and not something I can allow. Even Junkiro, who has sticky powers, cannot fully immobilize or tie up his opponents. The opponents Shigematsu would be facing are nowhere near strong enough to break chains, save for the NPC named Miranda... so I would have to ask for that to be changed as well.

The personality is a bit cliche, but sometimes that can work. What the problem is, is that you combined the personality and backstory segments. Starting from the point where it becomes more about his life than his personality, Shigematsu's backstory is about two and a half paragraphs. By itself, that is not enough to meet the minimums qualifications. Again, not necessarily a bad thing considering what I will say next. That gives you plenty of room to expand on Shigematsu's life. Here is what needs to be covered.

New Peaks Academy is a very expensive school, so it needs to be mentioned how he affords it. If his family pays for it, they must have a very successful life indeed. If not, then he needs to be on aome sort of scholarship or outreach program. One such program is called the "Young Masters" program. Another thing is how he heard about the school. Was he contacted by an agent or talent scout? Internet? Stuff like that. Next would be when and how he began his journey into the Martial Arts. Take my character, for example. He saw some people doing a demonstration and was fascinated by it, so his parents hired an instructor for him. Lastly, a backstory shouldnt focus so heavily on his parents and grandparents, but more on him... you know? Tell me about his life more.

All in all, a solid foundation... but it definitely needs some edits before it can be accepted and added to the roster. I look forward to re-reviewing him when edits are made.

I Forgot My Title....
    Medieval Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Alright. At Beta's request, my S1.

Name: Greta Tannberger
    Nationality: German
    ID : 37561269

Appearance:
    Spoiler: Hope y'all don't play fighting games much 

Greta stands approximately five foot 8, but her hair makes her seem much more imposing and intimidating, while accentuating her natural beauty. She is often clad in whatever is the season's popular clothing, usually her own line but she is known to experiment. Her hair, which is nearly as long as she is tall, is very carefully groomed and tended to. She prizes her locks above all else, considering it is how she came to fame...and considering her power. Her figure, while voluptuous, is much more densely built than it appears; she is dainty, but durable at the same time. Her eyes occasionally lose the bright light they usually carry and give her a bit of a thousand-yard stare, giving people a glimpse into her past and the atrocities she saw committed as a child. Though she is not the largest fighter, she carries herself with a fierce aura that lets you know she cannot be trifled with.

Fighting style: Taekkyeon (5th dan)-A style believed to be conceived in the eighteenth century in Korea, Taekkyeon focuses largely on footwork to create opportunities to strike an opponent. It specializes largely in kicks and punches, though grappling techniques have been developed over time and integrated into the art.

Power: Living Keratin-Greta's hair is just as alive as the rest of her, and can be controlled both uniformly and individually the same way she would control her arms and legs. Her hair can take on many shapes, though it cannot change size, and her hair is thus limited to make objects of reasonable size. She can more densely pack her hair into a tighter space to increase its striking power or spread it out to cover more area. Unless it is more tightly packed, it cannot easily block strikes-it's still hair, after all. It is strong enough to support her weight and can react as quickly as she can.

Personality: Greta lets the world see her smile wherever she goes. She is bright and cheerful to her fans and followers, and her product and clothing lines have flourished due to the positive publicity she has gotten over the years, in addition to sympathy for her life story. Only to her trusted friends and parents does she allow her less positive characteristics through. When she is with trusted company, her smile fades, and she distances herself from others as much as she can. Her eyes take on the distant stare of one who has seen horrible atrocities, and she often buries herself in her martial training, refusing to let herself get complacent for even a moment, lest she be taken once again, this time with no hope of recovery.

She has a very close place in her heart for those she trusts and cares about, and she is an extremely passionate woman, one who spends much of the fortune she and her family have amassed on charities and altruistic programs. Despite this, if she feels threatened, she is prone to lashing out as she defends herself against both the attacker and her past, refusing to allow herself to fall to either. She is a neat freak and extremely self-conscious about dirt and grime, especially with her hair.

Backstory: Greta was born to wealthy German entrepreneurs, famous for inventing a more efficient sausage cooker and making many contributions to the culinary arts. Her parents treasured their child and pampered her, especially her beautiful hair, which had grown unusually long from birth. She loved her family and would follow them anywhere, though she was a curious child, which often got her in to trouble. No time is more evident of this fact than when she was nine, when her parents took her on a vacation to Beijing.

She was wandering with her parents in a local market when her father got distracted, haggling over the price of a rug he intended to buy for one of the mansion's foyers. She saw something shiny out of the corner of her eye and wandered off from her distracted parents, wanting to find the source of the glimmer. Before she knew it, she had been grabbed roughly and had a hand clamped over her mouth, finding herself whisked off to some unknown location. She tried to call out in fear, but her squirming only earned her a punch to the stomach. She was afraid and alone in the world.

She soon discovered who had kidnapped her; she was quickly instructed on the basic functions of sex and sold on the black market as a child prostitute with many other stolen girls her age. She found herself with a different patron every few nights, used as a disgusting vessel for their lewd, terrible fetishes. For months she grew more and more desperate for escape, hoping against hope she'd find an opportunity to break free. One night, she saw her chance as her captor unshackled her from her chains, about to be given to another patron waiting outside. She struggled against him, trying to break his grip, but he was too strong. She prayed she could find a way...her hair responded to her cry, forming into a fist and punching the man in the crotch, forcing him to release her.

She fled from the unmarked building, unable to make sense of her newly discovered power and not caring at the moment. She fled to the ocean, hiding away on a freighter that she prayed would take her somewhere, anywhere safe. For days she traveled, and when she landed, she found herself in South Korea. Confused and afraid again, she wandered into the market to be found by an older man who worried about the strange foreign girl without any parents. She did not remember their phone number, so the kindly man, an army veteran, took her in until she could find her family.

While she was raised by the kindly man, he heard her story and wept for the poor girl in his care. To make sure it would never happen again, he began instructing her in the art of Taekkyeon, in the hopes that she would take to it and defend herself should she ever be in danger. She took quickly to the art and her new guardian, improving rapidly as the years went by. At the age of fourteen, the veteran installed a computer with internet in his home, and Greta searched her parents' names, finding their address. Excited, she sent them a letter, and within three weeks, she was running back into her parents' arms, much to the happiness of her guardian for those five years. As thanks, she and her parents built the man a lovely home, promising him that he would be cared for for the rest of his life.

Though she returned home, many of her guardian's teachings stuck with her, especially Taekkyeon. She improved further, and her parents quickly discovered New Peaks and decided to send their daughter there, hoping to make her happy by letting her showcase her skills as well as improve them. Intimidated at first, she faltered as a freshman until she learned to better control her hair, which allowed her to dominate the summer tournament. She quickly began to rely more and more on her follicles, becoming a force to be reckoned with in her sophomore year. By the time junior year rolled around, opponents had learned to deal with her power and began to catch up with her; discouraged, she met with her Korean friend and guardian once more, who taught her that just because she had her power didn't mean she needed to rely on it. She redoubled her efforts over the summer, and senior year used a combination of fighting prowess and power to become unstoppable, earning the vaunted S1 rank after the winter tournament that year.

Upon graduation, she was approached by an agent who had seen her fight, believing that her living hair could be the beginning of a great hair care product line, and wanted to hire her as a model for the product. She accepted, taking on the title as model for the Rage hair gel and shampoo. Her living hair quickly gained her fame in her line of work, and she was approached with more offers. Most she declined politely, but she was still a girl at heart, and she decided to begin her own clothing line, Keratin brand. Though she is seen publicly as a famous model, when she is not in the public eye she continues training, refusing to allow herself to grow soft. Her guardian passed away when she was 25, and in his honor she earned the 5th dan in Taekkyeon later that year. She seeks to master the martial art to honor his memory.

She didn't fail Fight School. Neither shall I.
    Last edited by Iwazuma; 04-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Karma is the best.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast