Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Anima Mundi (Namingtoohard & Headwrapper)

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The only sort of revolution I can think of working in that situation would be one of the suppressed and cowed mages who are afraid of hiding trying to rise up against the government that oppressed them, essentially leading to a second war like the one that caused such fear in the first place. Of course, the two could always tie in well together or that exact reason - unlocking G's powers would increase the number of mages and their power, and necessitate a lot of travel and searching to meet up with other mages. I'm still a huge fan of the ethical side of things when it comes to his motivation, though. Maybe opening the locks requires some sort of morally questionable ritual, such as a human sacrifice? Or maybe just for the final lock, as a big twist right towards the end. That would be talking waaaay down he road, of course.

I was going to suggest that they try and find Mec a teacher at some point or something too, to help him learn the scope of his powers and better control them. Their ignorance of G and his voice could prove an interesting twist if Mec learns that it's not normal for all mages to hear him like that. Perhaps G alone is already enough to fill the role of a teacher, though, which would make it somewhat unnecessary.

The Moonlight Knight
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Magical Worlds
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I guess I'm just having trouble coming up with a good source of motivation for them to continue traveling instead of finding a place to hide and stay settled. I guess them being chased might be one reason. Maybe there could be a period of time where they do find a place to hide, but are eventually discovered and are forced to escape. The confrontation might bring harm to innocent people which would enforce that they need to keep moving rather than settle. Maybe Shallan's skills as a mummer could allow them to travel with some actors or dancers for a while?

I feel that G would have to fill the teacher role as it wouldn't make a lot of sense for someone to live long enough to master magic. I guess he/she could be hidden in a remote location though, where they needed to use magic to survive alone. Whatever we end up deciding on I think I would like to keep G's voice unique to Mec though.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yeah,I'd intended on using her skills at some point when they started to run out of money and become desperate for a source of income, so that she could give a street performance or something of the sorts to try and help with that particular problem (or to distract/draw a crowd to help out with some other plan, but that's beside the point.) Joining a proper band of mummers is an aspect I hadn't considered just yet though. I rather like the idea.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I think it could work, and I think it will be a good way of keeping Mec from stealing the limelight by being the magical one. He could either travel with the group as a stagehand or for his travelling skills (which apparently are futuristic, I read this morning that jerky wasn't known to medieval travelers until well after the dark ages :P), or he could travel parallel with the group on his own, but that would make interacting difficult. I suppose it would make sense that a band of mummers, if we chose that route, might discover Shallan's talent while she performs for whatever reason.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Haha, really? That's actually kind of hilarious. Maybe far sight or some form of clairvoyance is one of his powers, letting him draw on cooking techniques not discovered until far off in the future =P

I'm...actually getting really excited about the prospect of writing a performance now. I have one huge idea in particular in my head that I'm super eager to put down on paper, even if it's not due to come into the RP for a while >.>' I feel like getting to travel with a band of performers and really practice her craft would be a great sort of 'coming of age' moment for Shallan, that would really catapult her development forward and prove a welcome break when the strain of life on the run starts to show.

Of course, it wouldn't be able to last forever. Mec could always have an uncontrollable magic blowout that forces them to move on, and Shallan could struggle with the prospect of being invited to stay with them against continuing their journey. Or maybe they could be a rare group of people that are accepting of Mec's powers, and find a way to incorporate that into the show? So many possibilities, and all of them exciting

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Ha ha, I'm glad you're excited And I agree that with the benefits of them travelling with a band, and of course it wouldn't last. The more I think about it the more I think it would actually make sense for the band to know Mec's powers and incorporating it into the show like you said. It would be an excellent way of introducing the concept of him controlling his powers in some form. Maybe an act gone wrong or something revealing Mec's identity puts the band in danger and there would have to be a decision on whether or not to leave the band, either for the safety of their friends or for other reasons.

I feel that if we choose to run with this idea it would be best suited as one of the early major developments, as it would provide an opportunity to develop both of the characters, Shallan with her "coming of age" of sorts and Mec with his "magic training."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

i feel like scheduling it is going to be the tricky part. If it happens too early, then it's not really much of a 'break' per se, but if the primary reason for it happening is them needing more money, then we can't put it off for too long ether. I feel like we would need to introduce the concept of Mec using his magic to help people first, so he has some motivation to try and learn control to begin with. So maybe when they finally get to the next town over, if not a bit later?

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

That sounds about right to me. Maybe shortly after the the band recruits Shallan and Mec they discover Mec using his magic to help someone, whether one of their one or a stranger. That would be a justifiable reason for them to be accepting of mage, since he'll be a "good guy."

I wonder if the idea that Mec would scold children who tried to steal in the past as a way of introducing the concept of him helping people with magic. Maybe a young pickpocket in Avoorka tries to steal from him or Shallan, and he follows the usual routine of watching it happen before stopping them to scold them. The child could be living alone with his mother who is too sick or or injured to feed them, and so the kid took to stealing. Like usual, Mec allows the pickpocket to keep what he stole if he promised not to steal, but Shallan who maybe sympathizes with the family due to similarities between them and the relationship she had with her mother urges him to try growing them a tree, noting that the trees he summoned grew unusually fast and might be able to yield them fruit regularly. They were going to be leaving Avoorka soon anyway, so what's the harm of leaving just a small trace of magic behind?

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

That...sounds plausible. It's certainly much less tacky than any of the ideas I was mulling around as to how to introduce the concept. It definitely ties into the history of both characters much better, too. A nice little nod to how Mec discovered his magic in the first place. I like it

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yeah I think the hardest thing was to come up with something that's not too tacky. We don't have to go with that idea if we can think of something better, especially now that I've already pretty much laid it out and it'll be boring now... Although I'm sure you could put your own little spin on the events :P

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast