Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Anima Mundi (Namingtoohard & Headwrapper)

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Haha, I'm sure. I mean, if the guards got involved in the pickpocketing any capacity the two would run the risk of discovery, so perhaps there's a little bit of room to make things all the more complicated.

On an unrelated note, how would you feel about Mec actually outright injuring someone at some point when he has one of his flare-outs? Be it Shallan or somebody else. I feel like it would be interesting to see how he deals with the guilt. Nothing fatal or otherwise life-threatening, but maybe a semi-serious injury that would prove painful and possibly restrict the mobility of the afflicted person. Make him start to question his own progress, and possibly spark an argument between the two if tensions boil over as a result.

The Moonlight Knight
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Magical Worlds
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Sounds like a good idea to me. Honestly I wouldn't mind if we went as far as having Mec cause a fatal injury, although it would be a lot harder to write about. It would put some perspective on why magic was banned by society in the first place, and force them to question if it was wrong to oppose the laws placed to protect people from magic and whether those that possessed magic were somehow inherently evil. It would also reiterate the question Mec had to ask himself when he tried to leave Shallan behind. Did he disguise his own selfish desires (relieving himself of the burden of feeling like he "owed" Shallan, exempt himself from being dangerous or intrinsically evil ) with false excuses of benevolence (letting Shallan continue her normal life, using magic to help those in need). If you didn't notice I like reoccurring themes a lot :P And also like you said, it would be a humbling experience that would make Mec question his ability to control magic.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Well, making it a (potentially) fatal injury would certainly have more severe moral repercussions, though it would make having Shallan be involved much more difficult. It's hard to continue stories with dead characters, after all =P I rather like the idea of her getting injured at some point because I enjoy the extra considerations you need to take, but both options have their merit. We have a while to get to that point, though, so we have time to think it over and make a final decision

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Well, if it's a fatal injury it would have to be on some throwaway character or maybe someone they had befriended in their travels... I wouldn't want Shallan gone anyway, she's too interesting :P But yeah, some non-fatal injury would bring some interesting implications. Now that I think about it more it's probably better that way because a fatal injury will kinda just be like, kill someone and cry and then forget about it, whereas a nonfatal injury would continue to be brought up for a while.

What are your thoughts on introducing more permanent or long-term companions that will travel with them? Something more permanent than what we were thinking with the mummers. I don't really have plans for that but I was wondering what your opinion would be on that option, or if you enjoyed controlling multiple characters in the first place.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Something with a temporary restriction to mobility would be good. An arm or leg injury, be it a burn, a broken bone, or a laceration of some sort, would all prove viable options. At first she would try ad shrug it off like it's no big deal, but the frustration would likely build up to the point where she snapped and lashed out at Mec. Hence more conflict, and one that would potentially have a much more lasting impact even beyond just the injury itself.

I'm happy to play second characters in most circumstances, though I'm having trouble thinking through how we would fit them in just yet. I could imagine another young mage joining their journey, or maybe some sort of 'guide' looking to see G'a goals accomplished, or possibly Shallan taking a newly orphaned child under her wing or something. Most of the options I'm coming up with feel like they would take some while to build into, though, or would be somewhat messy to drop into the story just yet.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yeah, I think that would work. I was planning on having Mec eventually develop an inflated hubris as he gains more controls of his powers; I feel like an event like that would be a good wake up call for him when his pride grows too large. Eventually he would develop abilities that would allow him to escape for fight his way out of confrontations, and eventually come to think of himself as untouchable. I think after he reaches this point some mistake he makes or lapse of judgement while wielding his magic could be what bring an injury to Shallan. Maybe rather than Shallan snapping a while after the injury, the injury servers as the tipping point after already being annoyed with Mec's pride and the dangerous way he begins handling situations?

Alright. I have no plans for any additional characters yet, just thought I would ask in case the opportunity arises later

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Hm...I think I like that better, actually. Given her personality, she would definitely start to get worried if he started flaunting his powers, if not annoyed. After all, what is probably her biggest fear right now is that the commonly-held belief about all mages being evil turns out to be true, and she made the wrong decision in picking to save Mec - throwing away her old life to free someone evil that will cause more harm despite her good intentions.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Ok question, kill or save the mother? I originally intended on saving her with magic but I recall an idea to have Shallan take an orphan under her wing. It might be too early for that kind of thing, so I'm still leaning towards saving.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Still much too early for that kind of thing. That said, I don't see any reason why the situation has to be resolved this very instant. It's not like she necessarily has to die on the spot if not healed right now.

I generally dislike healing magic in general, just because it makes any injury short of death feel totally insignificant, because it's going to disappear in a few posts regardless. As I said, I enjoy messing around with the limitations that come with physical harm lol. With the not-so-subtle implication of some type of enhanced strength in your most recent post, and the open acknowledgement that he could control all major elements in your opening one, Mec is starting to seem more omnipotent than like a proper mage.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

You're right. There doesn't need to be a resolution to the situation right away. Originally I wasn't planning on any sort of healing magic at all, but summoning some flowers which had an unknown healing property towards the Bloodclaw. It would have been an ingredient to a cure, lost through time as magic fell out of practice.

I planned on using the situation as a lesson from G to Mec. Mec logically decided that no more effort he placed in the situation would change anything, and upon deciding this was the case hoped to ignore it entirely in order to prevent compromising his own emotions. G would urge him to have faith in the Anima and not to give up hope, and an emotional outburst from Mec is what would summon the flowers, through a crack in the wall. He would gift the flowers to the boy and his mother (maybe Shallan decorates her hair with it or something, didn't really matter when I thought about it) and they would witness an immediate improvement of the woman's health, but not necessarily a cure.

Mec's powers are going to be heavily influenced by his emotions, and once he realizes this it will make his relationships all the more important. It will also mean his inconsistent reactions towards situations will become an obstacle when he tries to practice controlling his gifts.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast