Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4950515253 LastLast

Thread: [M] Anima Mundi IC (Namingtoohard and Headwrapper)

The Moonlight Knight
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Magical Worlds
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Olenna's - or rather her doll's - arrival at the hideout marked a sudden and unmistakable shift in the travelers', who were still resting by the tree stump, mood. The figure that arrived, bipedal but inhuman, marched mechanically and methodically towards them. No movement was wasted for the sake of comfort, it only moved with the purpose of approaching the destination was commanded to seek out. Nothing had physically changed about the environment around the tree stump. However, nearly all of them save for Cho, might have sworn that it did. An electrified tension filled the air. The clover and moss beneath their rumps was no longer as comfortable as it had seemed. Mec, who had every reason to trust the doll with his life and has done on more than one occasion now, felt his back tense. Maybe straightening in respect, or otherwise. He would have sworn he saw Shallan tense slightly as well, and even Godrich, who did not even know what the doll was, held his breath.

The only person that seemed relaxed was Cho. Upon hearing the flapping of an owl's wings, he had turned himself on the tree stump to get a better view of Olenna's arrival. He let out a little chuckle, and drew his legs towards himself to sit cross legged on his edge of the tree stump. He raised one arm high above his head and waved with wide strokes, only let his arm drop back down to his lap when Olenna stopped in front of them. His face contorted in curiousness and he tilted his head as Olenna observed the group, particularly Godrich. He continued to hold this expression while the cabal leader spoke, occasionally flicking a glance towards the others as he observed their reactions.

Mec was the first to speak, eager to match his leader's sense of urgency. "We should go inside then, to make it easier to guard our privacy." He then stood, awkwardly raising his shoulder as he did so to minimize any discomfort.

"I have a feeling we might be delving into matters that are going to be too much for Godrich," Cho piped in. His voice was gentle, but he spoke distinctly and directly. "Olenna's concerns are... grand, in scope."

"I-if this is about you being mages, you have my word that I will never tell a soul," Godrich stammered nervously. His eyes cautiously focused on the machination that had approached them. "All I want is to save Clair. I might not understand what has happened to her now, but I do know that the mage hunters are not going to protect her either. Whatever I can do to beseech help from anybody, mages or otherwise, I'll do it."

"We are going to help Clair," Mec interjected. "That's a promise I already made, and I swear it to you now. But Godrich, your place is not with us, it's with them. There is the rest of the troupe that needs you. You're their ward, their guide. Without Clair, there is a void to fill, and Ella might not be able to fill it on her own." Mec spoke quickly, trying to get his point out before the Olenna or Cho might cut in. "Let us bare this burden so you don't lose sight of your own responsibilities."

Godrich was clearly surprised by Mec's refusion. "You think I can just go back?" he asked, finally taking his eyes off of Olenna's doll to look to Mec. The two men locked eyes for a long moment.

Mec tensed his jaw, reflecting on past experience. Did he not also try to send Shallan back home at the start of their journey? He wanted her to convince the townsfolk that he had manipulated her mind and kidnapped her. A foolish ruse in attempt to shoulder more burden to try to erase her own burdens and downplay the choice she had made. This had to be different, somehow, he thought.

Cho jumped to his feet. "Let's talk about this inside. I don't know what decisions you're trying to make, but the way I see it the only one who should be making any decisions is Olenna. Between you and me, she has been having a bit of a soft spot for the non-magical folk lately." He couldn't help but wink towards Shallan.

Once inside, any information that Shallan had shared and Godrich's eventual arrival was shared with Olenna. Cho seemed to be the only one picking at a tray of sweets that was placed at the center of the kitchen table, but he eventually stopped. Although his body had lived many seemingly fatal injuries in his lifetime, it was not completely immune to the effects caused by massive amounts of sugar in the gut and bloodstream. He sunk into his chair, trying to focus on the matters at hand to distract from the nausea. He did not need to seek the distraction for too long, because when Mec spoke next, he seemed to do so without much regard for Olenna's authority.

"Once my injuries, physical and corporeal, have healed, we need to find Clair and reverse what has happened," Mec said. "I was able to delay the curse for months, autonomously. With the right training and knowledge, I can reverse it. We just need to keep our sights on Clair until we're ready." He looked between Godrich and Olenna. "Clearly we can trust Godrich. He could become an informant for us while he travels with the Misfits again."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

When Mec suggested that they move this discussion indoors, Olenna was quick to nod her agreement. The chances of someone stumbling upon them out here felt slim, but she saw no reason to take the risk regardless, when mitigating it cost them so little. Then, when Cho added his voice to the chorus, she paused. His choice of words implied that he had some level of insider knowledge, and that he maybe didn’t trust this newcomer quite as much as she had assumed. She found herself staring at the human as he argued with her young ward, the owl on her shoulder watching him with a borderline predatory gaze. Killing an innocent would leave a bad taste in her mouth, but the archmage would do so, if it proved necessary to ensure their safety.

Shallan, by contrast, only grew more and more tense as the argument dragged on. She watched both her friends with wide eyes, and chewed on her lower lip while her gaze flickered between them. Some part of her hated the idea of splitting with Godrich again, but she still hoped that Mec’s argument swayed him, solely for his own safety. The performer wanted to step in, but Mec was already saying everything she wanted to, and she’d always been terrible with confrontation. Besides, the last thing any of them needed right now was for things to escalate even further.

Cho finally interrupted, and Shallan felt nothing but relief. She threw a grateful glance in the direction of their gracious host, and even found herself smiling at the playful little joke he directed at her. Cho’s intervention was a timely reminder of his stalwart presence, which was a balm on her worries. Feeling considerably better than she had a few moments ago, Shallan climbed to her feet and brushed herself off, before following Cho back towards the cabin with the rest of the group.

Olenna waited until everyone else had set off first before she finally began to move, bringing up the rear of the group. Once everyone else was inside, she’d hesitate on the threshold, just for a moment. Her doll waited while the owl cast its gaze over their surroundings one last time, just to be safe. Satisfied, the archmage would finally step inside, before pulling the door closed behind herself. While everyone made themselves comfortable, she spent a moment mentally arranging the information she was about to share, trying to decide on the best way to deliver it. When Mec broke the silence first, her attention slid towards him, and Olenna sighed inwardly. She’d expected this sort of altruism from him, but that didn’t make his volunteering any less foolhardy.

A part of Olenna wanted to snap at him for it. To ask Mec where he intended to acquire the knowledge and training that his plan required. She had already told the boy that this curse was beyond her reckoning, after all, and he’d spent months travelling and working with Clair without making any tangible progress. She bit back the response that lingered on the tip of her tongue, though. No matter how tired she was, the archmage couldn’t let her emotions dictate her actions like that. They were here to come up with solutions, and another argument would be counterproductive. And even if she disliked how willing Mec was to throw himself into harm’s way like this, she’d already arrived at a similar conclusion.

“Your unique abilities make you well-suited to handle this sort of threat, but given the circumstances, I think you might benefit from some prudence” Olenna responded, her voice impossibly weary. She turned her attention to the rest of the group, then. Directed her next words at them as a whole. “I’ve been informed that Clair was cursed by a mage who is several centuries old. Their pseudo-immortality stems from the ability to transfer their consciousness between bodies, and this curse is their way of preparing a new host.” Olenna let the words hang in the air for a moment, so that everyone had the chance to digest the implications. She couldn’t offer them as long as she’d been given, but it felt foolish to deny them a few moments, at least.

“That’s…” Shallan started to mutter a protest, in time with the rest of Olenna’s audience, only for the words to die on her lips. The possibility felt absurd to her, but what did she really know of magic? Just scraps, thrown to her by the other people in this room. The performer’s gaze flickered towards Cho, just briefly, his presence now serving as a different type of reminder. Shallan adored the boyish mage, and she certainly hoped that his timelessness had been acquired through less horrific means. She was still yet to recover her wits when Olenna decided that they’d had long enough, and forged onwards.

“This monster’s presence is already drawing unwanted ire, and things will only get worse if this mage is allowed to accomplish his goals. This matter is too serious to ignore, but if the stories I’ve heard are true – and I believe they are – then this mage is probably more powerful than I am. Which leaves us with something of a problem.”

“…you want to kill Clair, don’t you?” Shallan’s voice trembled a little as she spoke, even as she stared at Olenna. The archmage glanced across at her and Shallan quickly turned her gaze away. Shifted in her seat a little, suddenly profoundly uncomfortable.

Olenna continued to stare at the human who had dared interrupt her for a moment, before dipping her head slightly. “Under different circumstances, I’d consider that the only viable solution. Luckily for us, one of my cabal is incredibly well-suited to dealing with magical threats.” She turned her attention towards Mec then, the young mage once again bearing the full weight of her scrutiny. “I despise the idea of risking you like this, Mec, but it seems that we don’t have many options. So, as it happens, you might just get your wish. Be warned, though. If you fail, we might no choice but to put the poor girl out of her misery."

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Olenna's words of caution, her proposal for prudence, set Mec aback, if only for a moment. It made him realize that the rest of the group may not have shared his intent to succeed at any cost. That there were other matters at stake that were not worth the risk, lives that needed to be preserved, costs that they might not be willing to pay. It must have been easy, he thought, for Olenna to weigh the life of a normal human she had never met so lightly. To be able to afford the luxury of caution that she suggested. Despite Mec's urge to rise back to his feet, he yielded the respect the cabal leader deserved and stopped to listen to her explanation. The logic behind her wisdom, whatever crucial details she considered that Mec may have not.

He did not expect the explanation that did eventually follow. Even worse, he believed it. The very idea was so foul, so wrought with evil, that it perfectly suited the overwhelmingly horrible pressure that he felt during his first attempt to dispel Claire's curse. He would never forget it. He could not forget that malicious weight he sensed, drowning out the golden webs of the Anima. How his entire being urged him to leave, to flee, to go anywhere so long as it was not near the source of that malice. Only the voice in his head, that voice that he still did not know was even real, convinced him to finally face the malevolence. How he longed for that voice to reassure him again, but it was absent, much like his powers presently were.

A horripilation of anticipation, dread, and worry ran down the mage's back and along his arms and legs. He stayed quiet, save for the occasionally click as he chewed away at one of his fingernails, during the pause that Olenna offered them to absorb her explanation of Clair's curse. On occasion, he glanced cautiously towards the others in the party to gauge their own reactions, although he was to preoccupied in his own thoughts to truly grasp the others' emotions.

Godrich had somehow grown even paler than usual, and frighteningly so. His lips had begun to turn white, and he shifted in his seat as if he would barf up his breakfast at any moment. "No way," he gasped, but, like Shallan, he had no grounds to protest the possibility. He had only recently been made aware of the possibilities of magic. He also witnessed firsthand how awful it could be, how it turned a beautiful woman, one of his best friends, into a horrific monster that transcended monstrosities he though imaginable.

Cho was more solemn and lacked the emotional responses the rest of the group had. His small body was still sunken in his chair, and his small fingers seemed preoccupied with rotating his fork in between his fingers. Mec found this to be an odd reaction, although he could not pinpoint what sort of response he actually had expected out of the mage. After all, Cho, like Olenna, did not know Claire. In fact, Mec suspected that in the entire group, Cho likely placed the least value on Claire's life. How many lives had he seen lived out? Were there others gathered around a table in a hidden shack that he housed, fed, and healed, that inevitably withered into dust? Did Cho see purpose in those lives, or were they too temporary to value so highly?

Of course, the rest of Olenna's oration seemed just as grim. The mage that placed a claim on Clair's body was more powerful than their cabal's leader. The only glimmer of hope was that Mec, if he regained his powers soon enough, could use his unique ability to counter the curse... if he he could learn how, and if it was even possible. If he failed, Clair's life would be sacrificed in order to cripple this powerful mage's plans.

Mec felt an enormous sense of pressure when Olenna finally addressed him directly. He did not know what to say, but he felt that a response was expected. The others eyes were all upon him, awaiting a reply. Perhaps they expected him to seize the opportunity. Perhaps they expected him to abandon his original plans. Maybe he would lash out against the alternative options, insisting that they win at all costs to return Clair to the way she was. Mec considered the possibilities himself, in silence, before nodding to address blank face of Olenna's doll.

"Then I mustn't fail," he finally replied. "But that means I can afford no distractions." He looked in Godrich's direction before continuing. "The task of saving Clair is too great to be worried about anyone else taking unnecessary risks. We have this mage to worry about, not to mention the magehunters that have been increasingly zealous, and likely hot on Clair's trail themselves." Godrich's long exhale through his nostrils was signal enough that the message was received, that he would return to the Misfits for now and lay low.

"There is still one challenging factor I'm afraid we have not discussed enough," Cho commented. "And that is time. While I do agree that if Mec can harness his ability to dispel the curse it would be a crucial tool to stopping any more - for lack of a better term - vessels from being used in the future, we still have to worry about how soon this current vessel, Clair, might be used by this powerful mage. Mec has no access to the Anima, and it's not obvious to me when he might regain full use of his powers. It could be a matter of days, but it could also be several weeks. Who knows what might happen in that amount of time? The monster reportedly flying around might hurt more people, increasing magehunter activity. At worst, this mage will have moved into their new body before we have a chance to act."

Both Godrich and Mec stood in their seats so synchronously it almost appeared to be rehearsed. "It won't come to that," Mec insisted. "We have to find a way to afford us more time... And I will heal... I'm sure there is something we can do." He pressed his fingers to his temples, as if to push his visible frustration back inside.

Godrich, despite his sudden and involuntary leap onto his feet, appealed to the mages differently. He looked towards Olenna, lowering his head as he spoke. "Is there reason to believe there is significance in the vessels being chosen by this mage?" he asked. "Some kind of magical significance? Could Clair herself have some kind of particular potential that is desirable?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

When Olenna addressed Mec for the second time, laid the burden of Clair’s fate about his shoulders like a cloak, Shallan was watching her oldest friend closely. She dug her nails into the palms of her hands, silently concerned for him. And yet, much to her surprise, he seemed unperturbed by this new weight. The former singer couldn’t say that she shared his confidence, but…well, she’d choose to put her faith in Mec again. She’d done it when she’d broken him out of jail, believing that he couldn’t possibly be evil. She’d done it when he’d chosen to help Clair, even when it meant potentially exposing himself. She’d do it again now. If Mec claimed he could unravel this curse and save her, then he would, and that was the end of it.

Then, when he seized upon the opportunity to shift the conversation back towards Godrich, just a few moments later, Shallan found herself thankful for his presence of mind. The former Misfit hadn’t forgotten their secret conversation, but throughout the course of this meeting, she’d failed to come up with a way to broach the topic herself. The news that he’d return to the troupe, albeit reluctantly, was a balm on her frayed nerves. A part of her would undoubtedly miss Godrich’s steadfast presence, but the last thing they needed was more collateral damage, more potential casualties. There was simply no reason for him to risk himself, especially when there was so little ordinary humans like them could do to help.

Cho spoke next, and his words set Shallan’s mind turning. Perhaps it wasn’t a surprise, given his apparent age, but the mage’s input seemed well-placed, highlighting an aspect of the situation that she’d previously failed to consider. She pursed her lips for a moment, thinking. “So either we let Mec rest in ideal conditions and risk being too late, or chase Clair now, and pray that he’s recovered enough when we catch up to her. It feels like we’re taking a gamble either way.” Shallan mumbled her response, fairly confident that everyone else had already come to a similar conclusion. She didn’t know enough about magic to make an educated guess at the most likely outcome, or know if there was some sort of way to tip the odds in their favor, but hopefully the other mages in the room did.

Shallan’s attention flickered towards Olenna, just in time to watch the archmage nod. While her doll and owl both lacked any human features, this simple gesture seemed to radiate the same weariness she’d displayed before. “All valid concerns.” The situation was an incredibly complicated one, with too many variables for Olenna’s liking. For all her analytical cunning, there were simply too many moving pieces for her to make any truly accurate predictions. Not that she’d ever willingly admit that. “I can speak with some of my other mages, but even then, time will remain an issue. Even if I find someone whose abilities might help, there’s no guarantee that they’ll be able to travel here quickly enough to assist us.”

When Godrich spoke up, he drew the attention of both the women in the room. The archmage stared at him with the same guarded, shrewd expression as before. Shallan, conversely, straightened in her seat a little. Blinked in surprise, as if the answer were obvious. “Clair is young, and pretty, and talented. She has a lot of experience travelling, and she’s incredibly influential for her age. I can’t say I ever expected anything like this to happen, but she seems like a natural target to me.”

“We can’t assume that. We have no idea if this usurper will keep Clair’s old appearance, remain stuck in her new one, or twist her body to look like their own. Who she was before might not matter in the slightest, depending on the answer.” It was Olenna who spoke next, but her words lacked any of the derision that Shallan might had expected. In fact, she sounded thoughtful. Absentminded, even. As if her mind were already racing down another path, even as she answered. “Magical significance, though…perhaps there’s something there. Something that we’ve missed so far.”

Olenna seemed to remember herself, then. She turned the full weight of her attention towards Godrich now, and when she spoke, she did so with an intensity that hadn’t existed just a few seconds before. “You’ve known her longer than any of us, correct? Did Clair ever show any signs of magical power before she was cursed?”

It couldn’t possibly be that simple. There was every chance that Godrich would rebuke her, and in doing so, shatter her newly formed expectations. Even so, Olenna couldn’t help but feel that this new line of thinking held potential. If they could figure out why this ‘Akuji’ had chosen Clair as a host, then it might give them some sort of understanding of the magic they were using to possess her. If not, then it might still give her a glimpse into Akuji’s mind. Either way, that would be information that she could actually use. While waiting for Godrich to answer, Olenna threw a subtle glance in Cho’s direction, silently hoping that he’d figured out where she was going with this, and had new insight to share.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Cho leaned back in his chair, his small shoulders pressed against the seat's back. He was surprised that of anyone in the party, the one least familiar with magic posed the most intriguing question, whether he intended to or not. It reminded Cho of an old saying, something about fresh eyes. He'd forgotten it, but he understood the point. After putting down Akuji multiple times between literal lifetimes, it was easy to fall into complacency. It seemed that cluing in Olenna on the tale, and thus tapping into her network of acquaintances, was the right move after all.

He caught Olenna's glance and simply blinked in acknowledgement. Out of all of Akuji's vessels, there was only one that he knew personally. Based on that sample of one... well, Godrich may have been onto something. Possibly a very large something, considering the capabilities of that sample of one. The tiny, invisible hairs on Cho's arms rose as he recalled that night at Duusmentael Castle all those years ago.

Godrich recoiled nervously when he was directly addressed by the strange, inhumanly human doll. "Well, if I had noticed it, I would surely remember," he began. "She is definitely extraordinary, but I never suspected magic was at play. She has her beauty, which might seem suspiciously mystical, but if magic was at play I would suspect she'd have done something about the mole on her backside. I've always envied her rigor. She had what seemed like a limitless supply of energy, waking up early even after a late night of performances. Her mind for planning and organizing our large troupe is a feat of itself too, and I've always wondered how she handled such a burden so well, but I wouldn't exactly call it magic..."

Mec listened anxiously as Godrich continued. He matched gazes with Shallan as they listened. He shook his head lightly, silently admitting that he did not know if Clair could possibly have been actually magical after all. Was it possible that the potential for magic was more subtle and hidden than the ability, something that only a powerful sorcerer like Akuji could identify? "If she had any magical prowess, I suspect that even Clair herself didn't know," he said, butting into Godrich's monologue. "When we first intervened with her curse, she was very confused about it, and pretty shaken up. If she was that clueless about magic, I'm not sure anyone else would have noticed anything different about her either."

They sat in silence for a long while. Mec, Shallan, and Godrich quietly exchanged glances, while Cho and Olenna seemed to be deep in thought. The quiet was suddenly interrupted with the screech of one of the chairs when Cho rose to his feet. "Olenna, I'd like for you to accompany, if you would." His soft footsteps carried him to the exit, and he trusted that his companion would follow him.

"What about us?" Mec asked. His reply was a simple shake of Cho's head before he exited the cabin. Something told Mec not to question Cho's suggestion, doubly so when considering that Olenna also seemed to be following along. After the two more powerful sorcerers left, Mec turned his gaze between Shallan and Godrich. "How suspicious."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cho silently lead Olenna away from the cabin for a long while. They traveled for a few miles before stopping at a small clearing with just enough room for them to address each other without trees and brush between them. "Although our new companion was not able to confirm what you're suspecting, I believe I might have the means to do so. I suppose you may recall how my summoning magic works."

The small mage began rolling his sleeves up his slender arms. They partially slid back down before he could raise his arms in front of him. "These ethereal creatures once belonged to this world, before I claimed them. Physical flesh, much like our own. It was only when I freed them of this world did I earn the ability to benefit from their spiritual forms. Manifested their final breaths into power." He furrowed his eyebrows as he began to direct energy towards the palms of his outstretched hands, which began to glow with a pale blue light. "Animals, simple minded with little free will, are one thing. But intelligent beings, as you can imagine, are much trickier. They demand a certain amount of respect, humanity, empathy. Is it right to manipulate a mirror image of another person after you watched them draw their final breath? I've never learned the answer."

The pale lights in his palms glowed brightly, beacons that ushered an immense power. Cho bared his teeth, brought his arms to one side, and then swung them across his chest. As he did so, the light escaped his grasp, splitting into five separate orbs that landed before them. The orbs of light quickly changed shape, growing and morphing until five, pale-blue humanoids stood before them. Cho wiped a bead of sweat away from his forehead, panting as he inspected his work. "This is not all of them, but perhaps enough to find the clue we may be looking for."

Cho nodded towards one of the figures. It bore the resemblance of a very tall and strong looking man with a thick trunk. They stepped forward, slowly, but obediently. "Do you understand me?" Cho asked. The figure nodded. Slowly, but obediently. "What can you tell me of the person I manifested you from?"

The man spoke in a slow, pained voice. The sound came unnaturally, as if the vocal cords and muscles normally used for speech were replaced with mechanical and rigid apparatuses. "He... was named Ursai," the voice groaned. "He was... a... farmhand. He was the father... of two. A third one on... the way... before..." The figure paused for a long time, a soft wheeze escaping the edges of his lips for most of the time.

Cho pressed him further. "Was he a sorcerer? Before Akuji possessed him?"

The figure raised his muscular arms in front of him. "Magic coursed through his... body. Enlarged his muscles and made... him... strong. But he... did not know."

Cho nodded, glancing towards Olenna gravely. "Thank you," he said, waving a hand at the avatar, which gradually faded. "And you?" he asked, addressing the next figure. It bared the resemblance of a woman, hiding her breasts behind crossed arms.

Each avatar obediently replied to Cho's questioning, sharing the lives of the human whose final breath gave the avatar life. It was clear than the avatars knew only as much as their originals about their physical traits, but in less tangible affairs- magic, love, mentality- the avatars had more foresight. Unrestricted by the limitations of the human mind, they could recall such matters objectively. Cho and Olenna learned of the woman who controlled animals, which was interpreted to be a gift from her days growing around animals during her life. A thief and murderer whose footsteps were soundless thanks to magic he did not know he possessed. A great swordsman who unknowingly drained the rigor of his enemies during the heat of battle with his magic.

Only the final figure, a comely woman with a shapely figure, claimed that during life they were aware of their magehood. She was a sorceress in the desert land of Shukbara. Cho recalled how much he disliked the heat and the sand. She was well versed in her abilities, using them to weave a perfectly proportional figure and beautiful face. She became a trusted advisor to the land's queen, using her powers to manipulate the queen's enemies or, more effectively, permanently still their hearts. "She never would have been taken by that demon," she claimed. "If not for her ambitious nature that led her to explore the hidden crypts dating back to the Dark Days. One of the artifacts was enchanted, transforming her into a large, cat-like creature with a human's face. It was then that Akuji made his move."

"It's called a sphinx," Cho told Olenna nonchalantly as he waved away the final figure. "They had wings too." Several hours had passed since they had left the cabin. "I suppose I could summon more, but what are the odds that all five of Akuji's past victims were mages?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Olenna listened patiently as Godrich bumbled his way through an answer, the featureless face of her doll inscrutable. His insistence that Clair was a regular human seemed to contradict his admiration for her appearance, organization skills, and seemingly unnatural vitality. They weren’t the sort of abilities that Olenna normally associated with magic, but perhaps those sorts of assumptions were precisely why Clair’s powers had gone unnoticed for so long. Olenna probably would’ve dismissed the idea out of hand, under different circumstances, but if their theory was correct…

The cabal leader barely heard Mec when he voiced his opinion on the matter. She was too absorbed in her own thoughts, too busy turning the possibilities over in her mind. Olenna was drawn from them only by the sound of Cho rising, and the polite entreaty that followed. It took her a second to remember herself, before she gave the ancient boy a terse nod and followed him towards the door. She didn’t so much as glance at the rest of the group before she stepped over the threshold, and out into the wilderness beyond.

After the two mages were gone, Shallan stared at the closed door for a moment with her brows narrowed and her lips pursed. Mec’s protests rang in her ears long after his words had faded, mirroring her own thoughts. The whole reason Olenna had called his meeting was so they could discuss an issue that affected them all, right? If anyone other than Cho had asked for a private audience, she might’ve feared the worst. He had shown them nothing but kindness up until this point, but the whole event still left a bad taste in her mouth. An opinion that she was quick to share, once Mec had broken the silence again.

“Rude, too” Shallan added softly, the words sour in her mouth. After a moment of contemplation, she let out a soft sigh. “Nothing we can do but accept it, I suppose. We’ll just have to trust that they have their reasons, and that they’ll share anything important enough to warrant it.” Shallan might’ve suggested they try and eavesdrop, uncouth as it was, if they had any real chance of success. She doubted there was a human alive who could sneak up on those two undetected, though. Not with Olenna’s owl, and any other magical senses they might possess. Mec might’ve been able to pull it off, if not for his ailment, but no amount of wishful thinking would change things.

“Well, I doubt we’ll have any more breakthroughs while our magical experts are gone, so there’s probably no real point discussing things any further now.” Shallan would straighten in her seat a little, then. She took a moment to stretch, arching her back briefly, whilst raising both of her arms above her head. Her expression twisted into a look of mild discomfort, and a soft groan slipped from her lips, before she finally settled again. “If we’re going to be stuck here for a moment, then maybe we should find something productive to do. Or find a way to ease the tension a little, at the very least.” She punctuated her words with a brief glance at Mec, before trying to preempt what she suspected he’d say next. “Not you, Mec. The most productive thing you can do right now is rest.” Whether or not he’d listen was another matter entirely, of course.

~~~

The long walk that followed Olenna’s departure was undertaken in relative silence. One benefit of using this doll as a proxy was that it didn’t struggle with physical exertion the way her living flesh did, and she simply didn’t feel the need to ask Cho about how far they were going, or why. She trusted the ancient boy enough to assume that he had a good reason for taking such lengthy precautions, and knew that he’d explain when he was ready, and not a moment before. So, she followed, until the moment that he finally brought their procession to a halt. Olenna could neither sense or see anything special about this spot, but perhaps it was merely privacy he sought. A good enough reason, and a quick scan of the Anima promptly confirmed that there were only animals nearby.

Olenna saw no reason to interrupt as Cho explained the basis of his summoning magic. While she knew a few details, it remained firmly outside her area of expertise, and there was no harm in a refresher. The cabal leader certainly didn’t share his moral compunctions over the manipulation of formerly human souls, but she refrained from saying as much. While she’d use virtually any means available to try and free her people, trying to debate the topic now wouldn’t serve either of them. So instead, she just maintained her silence, and watched Cho go about his work.

This magic seemed to strain Cho more than his animals did, and Olenna wasn’t entirely sure if it was the number of summons or the complexity of human souls that made it so. She would’ve guessed the latter, but that was merely an assumption. A part of her wanted to offer some sort of aid, but her lack of knowledge and weakened state meant that she was more likely to hinder than help. One of the most difficult lessons she’d had to learn as spymaster was that sometimes it was better to step back, and just allow others to handle the tasks they’d been assigned. And while she hadn’t asked this of Cho, she tried to employ the same self-control now.

Everything that followed was a touch unsettling to Olenna. These pale renditions of people reminded the spymaster of her dolls, right down to the mechanical way they spoke. And yet, the knowledge that they came from humans who had once lived and breathed made the ordeal feel worse, somehow. Still, she hadn’t gotten this far in life by balking at distasteful options when stuck in difficult situations. The spymaster hardened her resolve then, and focused the bulk of her attention on the information they were sharing.

On more than one occasion, Olenna felt the urge to interject with a question of her own, but she restrained herself. She had no idea how the spirits would react to questions posed by someone other than their master, and she didn’t want to make things any harder on Cho than they currently were. The information that the ancient boy drew from them proved sufficient regardless. With every question he asked, every answer they gave, a theory began to take shape in her mind. And when this macabre séance finally ended, and Cho addressed her directly at last, Olenna was ready to answer.

“Astronomically small. One mage might’ve been a fluke. Two, a coincidence. But five? There’s no way it’s anything other than deliberate.” Olenna’s tone was thoughtful, curious. Much more genuine than it had been in front of everyone else. “At this point, we can safely assume that Akuji needs to take the body of another mage to retain their abilities. Perhaps they’re simply targeting those with latent abilities because they don’t know how to defend themselves. I don’t doubt that they could overpower most mages, but why bother when it’s not strictly necessary? They probably see people like Clair as the more economical choice.”

Olenna lapsed into silence briefly as she considered these new assumptions. There was something more here, too. She could feel it. “Perhaps…perhaps this also explains why Mec was never able to dispel Akuji’s curse.” She began to speak faster and faster, the words pouring out in an unending torrent as the pieces clicked together, one after another, and the picture became clearer and clearer. “Mec’s power is nothing short of phenomenal. Without any sort of formal training, he was able to sever my connection to the Anima almost completely. He should’ve been able to dispel a curse with ease. But…what if he failed because he was only trying to dispel Akuji’s magic? If Akuji has figured out how to bind their curse to the host’s own power, then that would never be enough. He’d need to remove the host’s connection to the Anima too.”

Her outpouring finished, the torrent of words finally ebbed away. Olenna took a moment to revise her own logic, whilst giving Cho the chance to digest everything she’d said. To consider the possibility himself, and form his own conclusions. Only afterwards did she continue. “I realize that a great deal of this is still speculation, but the theory seems sound to me. What do you think?” A matter like this seemed too important for one mind, and the last thing Olenna wanted was to fall prey to her own biases. She needed Cho’s opinion, would appreciate his insight regardless of whether he agreed or refuted her idea. For now, she could only wait for him to voice his thoughts.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

As Olenna spoke, Cho wandered over to a large, moss-covered stone that was nearby. He was quiet, listening to Olenna's musings, although he was not looking in her direction as he did. He sat atop the boulder unceremoniously and place his head on his hands. Olenna's hypothesis was interesting, to be sure. The new information they had uncovered raised many questions about how Akuji's powers worked, the very nature of his being and how it transcended generations.

"What you say is plausible," Cho responded, tilting his head to one side. "Assuming that Mec's powers function in a straightforward manner, meaning, he focuses on one being's connection to the Anima Mundi and disrupts it, then that would suggest that the curse feeds off of both Akuji and his host's powers." He raised his head from his hands, which he placed behind him to support himself as he gazed skyward. "And individuals with weak, latent abilities would not have an obvious connection to the Anima. An inexperienced mage would not even detect it, and even an experienced mage would need to study the individual for some time to notice their connection. Someone like Mec would not even know that his powers would have an effect."

Cho frowned. "But Mec's powers are unprecedented, to say the least. I have never heard of such a means to disrupt magic before. Only by means of magebane metal or, Mec being an example, physical injury and exhaustion. I wonder, if Akuji's influence really works in this twofold fashion, was it by design? Was it intended to shield his presence from me, who has slain him so many times? Or perhaps from someone like Mec, or even the Silver ilk."

The small sorcerer jumped to his feet, gazing up at the twisted mask of Olenna's doll. He wanted to ask more about Mec's powers. Had Olenna been given the chance to test their limitations, the extent of the inexperienced mage's abilities? However, another question pressed on his mind. "I do wonder this, Olenna. Does this new information, that Akuji targets mages, influence your path forward? Do the victims bear a different weight? Would you still sacrifice Clair, a weak mage, but a mage nonetheless, to protect future generations of mages? And in the future, if Akuji presents himself in a more powerful host, would you do it then too?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the cottage, the abandoned young trio tried to find uses for their time. Hours passed since Olenna and Cho departed, to their surprise, and they began to run out of any meaningful endeavors. They had eventually gathered outside again, around the same tree stump they began their morning.

"Where do you think they've gone?" Godrich asked. It was not the first time any of them had lobbed up the question.

"I don't know," Mec responded. The same answer any of them had offered before.

Godrich offered a different question. "That... person. Olenna? Do you really trust them?"

That answer did not come as quickly. "I do," Mec said. "She saved my life on more than one occasion." He noticed Godrich stir. "The first time was early on in our journey, before we agreed to join Olenna's fold. I was reckless." He paused. "I was inexperienced with hiding my powers, and I was captured. I was to be publicly executed. They had me on the scaffold, and I saw the blade that would do it, and Olenna came." Mec paused for a while. After a minute, allowed himself to lean back against the tree stump from his spot on the ground. "Huh."

"What is it?" Godrich asked.

"The knight in the white armor was meant to execute me. Somehow, he found me, in the middle of the woods, where Olenna and I fought him again. What brought him to the forest instead of the nearby town, I wonder?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why?" Vanna whispered almost noiselessly. Although she tried her best to sound harsher, more direct and rebellious, the words only came out in a hoarse, dry whisper. She watched Gaxeel, unburdened by white armor and his menacing helmet. He moved gently, as if afraid to make a sound. His frame, impressively large and healthy to suit his profession, was clothed in plain clothes that were clearly supplied by the church. Despite herself, Vanna's keen eye could make out the stitching where they added additional fabric to lengthen the shirt and expand the sleeves to fit Gaxeel's build. The knight's face was calm and peaceful. At least, on one side. The other, Vanna believed even though she could not see it from her lame position, was permanently contorted in burning agony. "Why are you helping me?" Vanna coughed, weakly, and much to her annoyance. "Don't you have something better to do?"

Gaxeel returned to the woman's bedside and knelt beside her. Without a word, he raised a wooden cup of water to Vanna's lips, which she began to reject at first, but accepted only after a moment. After Vanna had her fill, Gaxeel retracted the cup and raised a small kerchief to gently dab away the droplets that streaked down to her chin. "It's only fair," he told her, watching her with half an apologetic gaze, and half a scarred and beady one. "I took away your wish for a death in battle. I wish to spare your dignity while you recover."

"Spare my dignity," Vanna repeated. She would have spat, if she had the faculties. When Gaxeel rose and turned away from her, she stirred. "And who are you to decide if my dignity is spared? What gives you the right, to parade me around on a horse like a fresh kill. Even worse than a fresh kill- like a squealing boar- it's a wonder you didn't tie me in the same way. And for what? To lay here, lame and crippled? Open wounds the as large of melons, waiting to be infected? And if that does not kill me, I won't be able to draw a bow again. Then what? What will I be then?"

A long exhale passed through Gaxeel's nostrils as he continued his work. The room that Vanna was moved to was much larger than before, but more comfortable. He adjusted the window curtains, opening a few to light up the room, but keeping the direct sunlight off of Vanna. The wooden floors creaked slightly as he navigated the room. "I'm sorry. I-" He paused at the sound of the door creaking open. Esbeth entered the room and closed the heavy door behind her with both hands.

"You needn't be so angry with Gaxeel," the Silver Priestess said to Vanna with a large smile. She approached Vanna's bedside and knelt beside her. She held her smile so aggressively that Vanna could hardly make out her eyes through the narrow slits between her eyelids. "Through you, the Goddess has blessed us with the knowledge of what Mec Fiska is... And lead us to how to destroy the dark magics that have plagued our world."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Cho’s careful, measured acceptance was enough for Olenna. Her mind immediately started spiraling outwards, weaving an interconnected web of plans and contingencies. Now that she finally had a sense of direction, there was research to be done, people to be contacted, assets to be mobilized. The spymaster wasn’t fond of putting all her eggs in one basket, either. She’d need to devote some time to coming up with alternate theories, and set yet more plans and contingencies in place, just in case she was wrong, and things didn’t go according to plan. Honestly, sometimes it felt like there weren’t enough hours in the day for-

She was pulled from her thoughts when Cho continued to speak, directing his attention now to the singular mage who made their current plan possible. Right. She was still with Cho, was still in the middle of a conversation, and had gotten a little carried away. This was more important than her planning, and she could try and find time to iron out the details later. Mentally scolding herself for such foolishness, Olenna finally turned her attention to the topic at hand.

“I’ve never met anyone with the ability to manipulate the Anima directly before, but hearing you say as much really drives the point home. I’ve started to think of Mec’s abilities as some sort of mutation, a new evolutionary step, but that’s just more speculation.” The archmage hummed thoughtfully to herself as she considered the situation briefly. “It wouldn’t surprise me if Akuji has begun to anticipate your interference, but could they really have predicted someone with such unprecedented abilities? I want to say that their methods are for purely practical reasons, but…well, their very existence shakes the foundations of what I thought possible. Perhaps Akuji will prove me wrong again.”

This admission was accompanied by a simple shrug. When talk turned to Akuji’s victims, though, Olenna’s expression darkened. Not the immobile mask worn by her doll, of course, but her true face, sequestered away on the opposite side of the country. “You ask that like there’s a practical alternative” she offered, tone grim. The owl seemed to mirror her displeasure, ruffling its feathers anxiously. “I’d much rather free his victims with Mec’s power, but if we’re wrong, and that’s not an option…well, anyone chosen by Akuji will practically be dead already, and they’ll only kill a great deal more if left alone. The deaths of those mages will weigh on me for the rest of my life, but I’ll wield the knife myself, if I must.”

Olenna wasn’t sure how Cho would judge her for such an answer, but the question reminded her of another. One that she’d been meaning to ask Cho for a while but had simply never had the opportunity to voice. “Allow me to ask you something in turn, Cho. How can you still care as you do?” She fell silent for a moment, then. Tapped her fingers together idly as she tried to find the words she needed to make her meaning clear. “You’ve seen entire generations be born, grow old, and die. We must seem so…transient, while you continue to endure. How have you not fallen into apathy?”

He was several centuries older than her, but still cared enough to ask questions about her morality. Still cared enough to give Shallan a bunny to pet, during a moment of great personal stress. Conversely, Olenna was detached enough to routinely give orders that cost lives. How did he keep himself so grounded? Was she overthinking a simple matter of personality, or was his friendly demeanor something of a façade? Did Cho even know the answer himself, and would he share it with her? She’d never blamed him for keeping secrets, and she wouldn’t blame him if he decided to keep this as one, either. But even so, she had to ask.

~~~

Shallan picked at the grass idly while her companions spoke, pulling strands from the dirt to weave into simple knots, before tossing them aside haphazardly. She listened to them with an idle ear, slightly bored by the extended period of quiet. If nothing changed soon, then it probably wouldn’t be long before the ground around her was barren, a circle of naked dirt marking the place where she’d once sat. She would’ve loved this sort of freedom, once, but the sheer lack of options was becoming increasingly difficult to bear. If this kept up, she’d have to start composing and practicing her own songs, solely to keep herself occupied.

When conversation turned to the knights that were hunting them, Shallan’s hands finally slowed to a halt, her brow furrowing. “It’s a good question, actually. I do wish they’d just leave us alone, but I guess that’s a little too much to ask at this point” Shallan added, a wry smile flickering across her features. Cho and Olenna might’ve had a better idea, but they’d been gone for hours now, and there was no telling when they’d be back.

The smile on Shallan’s face faded, then, just as quickly as it had appeared. “Actually…we already know they have a whole bunch of anti-magical tools and stuff, right? If they have a way of tracking you, then what’s to stop them from following us here?” The thought unnerved Shallan a little, but she doubted Olenna or Cho would let anything happen to them. Assuming they were still close enough to make a difference. She was probably just being paranoid after almost losing Mec the first time…right?

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

"Hmm."

Cho turned away from Olenna for a time, pondering the answer to his question. Her answer certainly made things easier for him, to say the least. Unlike Olenna, Cho was rather indifferent to the fate of mages as a people. Not to say that there was no benefit in seeing them thrive. The more mages that were active in the world, the more work would be focused on magical discovery that would ultimately benefit him and his everlasting quest for knowledge. However, even with their numbers diminished, Cho had until infinity to find the answers that he needed.

He allowed his short legs to dangle of the side of the moss-covered rock as he politely yielded to Olenna's question. Small lips pursed together as he absorbed its meaning and contemplated an answer. "You might not be surprised to hear that I've contemplated the same question about myself," he began. "The answer is probably much less exciting than you would expect, I'm afraid. At one time I hypothesized that this body, rather, its partially developed brain, simply lacked the ability to close off emotions the way one would expect. But I've learned that children, when exposed to tremendous trauma, do have the ability to shutdown any emotional response to a stimulus, so that must not be the case. I also fear that I do not have a uncontrollable sense of altruism. I help those in need when I can, but my own needs have always come first, usually."

He looked over the twisted knots of Olenna's doll briefly before directing his attention towards the owl that accompanied it. "If I may, I'll answer your question with another, my friend. Perhaps it will serve as an appropriate beginning to the answer to your question. Have you ever been in love?"

Cho would not be able to perceive Olenna's non-verbal reactions to the question, not through an owl or an inhuman and rigid doll, but that still did not prevent him from chuckling as he imagined what they would be. "Let's speak more on the way back to the cottage. I'm sure the... what do we call them, children? I'm sure the children are worried." He hopped up from the mossy rock and brushed off his trousers. He sniffed the air, finding that the cool and ozone-like scent of his summoned thralls had sufficiently dissipated, and began to lead the way back.

Just like previous journey, Cho remained quiet for much of the beginning of this second one. He did not offer up much of a reason- practical or impractical. It was possible that he was on the lookout for predators or a decent meal to bring home to the cottage. It was also just as possible, that he was staying quiet merely for effect and his own amusement. Eventually, he did make good on his promise to continue. "Perhaps once we have dealt with Akuji, I can share another one of my problems with you Olenna. In the years that we've known each other, you have proven to be one of the most capable of my transient friends. I have had several, and I do mean several."

"Have I ever told you that I was royalty, once? My kingdom is long gone now, and my tastes for worldly desires are quite dulled, so that fact does not amount to much. Despite my young age, I was betrothed too. Of course, I was too young to marry, but I'm sure you understand how royalty and lordships view such affairs. My parents had arranged quite the lucrative and beneficial agreement with a neighboring stronghold. Once I was of age, I was to marry their daughter. It was abnormal for two betrothed at such a young age to be allowed to begin their friendship so early, lest they have an opportunity to fall out of favor with each other, but I suppose our parents were progressive in that regard. We were quite fond of each other, and even at ten-years old I promised the world to her. I intend to keep that promise, no matter how long she must wait for it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mec noticed Godrich's eyes flicker towards him, unable to provide an answer to Shallan's question. Mec nodded while thinking over the answer.. "I believe the only reason for our current reprieve is the time it would take for the knight and his partner to recover from their injuries... Or even survive from them, in the case of the archer. I am starting to think that their sudden appearance in the forest is proof that they are able to track my whereabouts with more accuracy than we gave them credit for. We thought distance would be our ally, but so far that has not proven true."

"Actually- there could be another reason. I can't use my powers. Perhaps that invalidates their methods of tracking, if they are tracking my magic itself." Mec meandered to the tree stump as he spoke. His face tightened as he braced himself, before lowering his rear to take a seat atop the stump. His shoulder ached as he moved, to his annoyance, but it was at least bearable. He worried he would run out of patience for this injury before it fully healed, for many reasons. "I don't know about you too, but I'm hungry. What the hell are Olenna and Cho doing, anyway? Do they just expect us to meander into town, or are we to starve out here?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The implications of Cho’s first theory were enough to give Olenna pause. It was obvious that his physical body was no longer aging, but she’d never considered the possibility that the same might hold true for his mind. She’d always found him too intelligent to ever make that sort of assumption. Now that he’d voiced the idea, though, Olenna found the thought chilling. As someone who relied on extensive planning almost as much as magic, the idea of being stuck without a fully developed brain frightened her more than any ancient, evil mage ever could. If they’d been having this conversation in person, she would’ve breathed a heavy sigh of relief when he discounted the possibility, and instead started listing alternatives.

The question that followed was met with stony silence and a solemn nod. The answer was an overwhelming yes. Unquestionably, unequivocally yes. It was love that had driven Olenna to overcome the limitations of her crippled body by developing the magic that allowed her to control her owl, and her puppets. It was love that had set her on her current path, love that had led her to form her cabal and try to save other mages. And yet, she dared not speak of it. The same memories that drove her onwards cut too deeply to be shared here, now. So, Olenna held her tongue. She simply fell into step beside Cho when he began to walk, and silently hoped that he’d continue in his own time.

When the ancient boy began to speak again, Olenna couldn’t help but shake her head. Not in derision, not at him, but in wry amusement at the absurdity of this whole situation. Learning that his blood ran blue was one of today’s smaller revelations, somehow. She wasn’t yet sure how this connected to his question about love, but the archmage was perfectly content to maintain her silence, and let Cho elaborate.

His final words were vague, but they were enough to set Olenna’s mind to turning, all her own memories banished by the seemingly simple statement. “You aren’t the only one.” She spoke the words softly, though not quite at a whisper. It wasn’t a question. The archmage had always assumed that Cho was unique, but after learning about Akuji, she knew that was no longer the case. Why couldn’t there be yet more immortals out there? Olenna had never encountered any, but it was a big world, and even her cabal didn’t span all of it. It seemed only logical when she thought about it in those terms.

Was immortality something that any mage could acquire, then? Did it require some sort of natural affinity, or was it just a matter of knowledge? She’d never coveted such a gift herself, but she’d need to think about succession eventually, if her work was to outlive her. And there was still the matter of Cho’s betrothed to consider. Olenna desperately wanted to know more – about everything – but she knew from experience that Cho wouldn’t be pushed. He’d provide answers when he was good and ready, and not a moment before.

“Whatever your respective methods are, they certainly seem less problematic than Akuji’s constant body-hopping. I sincerely hope that we can end them once and for all, instead of just passing the problem on to the next generation. And when we do, I’ll be more than happy to repay you for all the assistance that you’ve offered me over the years.”

There was a sense of finality to Olenna’s words, and not without reason. She wasn’t sure if Cho could tell yet, but the overhead view offered by her owl made it clear that they were almost back at the cabin, now. More to the point, it looked like Cho and his two followers were all waiting outside. Given that Cho had sought out privacy for this discussion, Olenna assumed that their return would mark its premature closing. A shame when there was no telling how long it would be until they resumed. Hopefully they’d find a way to make time soon.

~~~

While Shallan had certainly unsettled herself with her own rampant speculation, Mec’s perspective on the situation was quick to soothe her fears. The timely reminder that the knights had not escaped Olenna’s ire unscathed made it clear that they wouldn’t be here any time soon, if they could even still track Mec to begin with. Shallan didn’t doubt that the church had other hunters at its disposal, but there was no reason to suspect they were nearby. The idea that they were hunting down other mages in other parts of the world was a horrible one, but it still brought Shallan a measure of comfort.

The change in topic that followed was a welcome one, even if it reminded her of the growing hole in her stomach. Personal concerns aside, Mec would need to save his strength while he recovered from his injury. She’d make the trek back to civilization if necessary, but that didn’t mean she needed to be happy about it.

“At this point, it wouldn’t surprise me. And if Cho does get back soon, then I hope he has more than cake to offer this time, too. I’m all for sweets, but…” Shallan trailed off mid-sentence as a flicker of movement caught her eye. She rose to her feet then, craning her neck to get a better view. There, off in the distance, were two familiar silhouettes. It seemed that their gracious hosts had finally decided to return, right on cue. “Speak of the devil” she offered softly, but she remained standing, patiently waiting for Olenna and Cho to close the remaining distance and rejoin them properly.

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4950515253 LastLast