Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Anima Mundi IC (Namingtoohard and Headwrapper)

The Moonlight Knight
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Magical Worlds
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Although he was quick to notice Shallan's skepticism for his excuse for vanishing, Mec did not plan to address it until another time. After all, his excuse was meant to provide an alibi to Tanya to eliminate the need for further questions that would need excused away. It would be better to be viewed as strange than to be suspicious, which Mec seemed to succeed in doing. "Oh, that's right. We should hurry back," he agreed, though in the back of his mind he knew he would have to abstain from joining his new peers in the hall blighted with the harmful effects of the Thindesatite.

He considered the possibility of closing off the connection between himself and the Anima in order to return to the hall with his friends. It might even give him a chance to better observe the unique metal up close, unobstructed by the effects of the light shining off of the lamps or the flames that the white knight had used during the failed execution. However, Mec was not even entirely sure he knew how to pull of such a feat to begin with. His connection to the Anima had suddenly come on its own, and no matter what, he was never able to will away its power before he had fully accepted his magehood. Maybe things would be different now that he had better control over his powers, but he had never used them in such a way. It would have to be another experiment to include in his self-training.

It did not take long for the group to return to the inn. Mec scrambled to come up with a reason to excuse himself away from the hall where countless patron's had gathered to witness the night's performance, drink, eat, and revel. "Will this inn really fit all of us?" he eventually wondered aloud. "There's probably going to be quite a few of us sleeping on the floor in some of the rooms up there, huh?" Mec began to wonder if he would be more comfortable if he stole off again and used his powers to make his own shelter to rest in, but he deciding doing so might be ill-advised for the time being. Even still, the idea was enticing.

Upon finally reentering the tavern, Mec glancing towards the hall he had just escaped from not too long ago, holding back a shudder. "I am going to explore the chambers upstairs while I have the chance. Who knows, maybe I can steal myself a bed still." He wished he could come up with a an excuse to bring Shallan along to explain what caused him to hurry away before, and hoped she might choose to tag along herself. She knew Tanya better and would have a better understanding of far they could push things before she grew too suspicious.

Meanwhile, within the main hall of the tavern, the dancing girls had just begun to make their way out to entertain their audience. As Clair had promised, they had the chance to bathe away the dirt and grime they acquired during their trek, and using some power that must have been akin Mec's magic, managed to dry their hair and pretty themselves up before making their appearances. Clair sat casually at one table in the corner of the hall, glancing towards her dancers occasionally as she chatted with the innkeep, who had joined her. If one was mindful, they would notice that a handful of the male members of the troupe were also keeping a watchful eye of the dancers, ready to dissuade anyone that may overstep their boundaries.

Godrich, who oversaw these tasks that the troupe typically assigned to the men, was also keeping a watchful eye, although much more casually. He drank and flirted with any of the girl's nearby, whether they were part of the troupe or not, and primarily watched for Ella, the only other Misfit with flame-kissed red hair. She had joined the dancers that night, her face expertly masked with serums and colorants to exaggerate her features.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The walk back to the inn where the misfits were performing proved to be rather short, albeit filled with silence. Shallan had felt nothing but relief upon finding Mec, but now it gave way to silent concern. The girl couldn’t help but imagine that if her friend were simply intent on practicing his new craft, or speaking with Olenna, then he would have been able to take the time to fabricate a less hurried escape. No, the commotion Mec had caused seemed much too mundane for something like that to be the case. Such a conclusion left her with more questions than answers, however. Ones that wouldn’t be answered whilst Tanya was still around…and maybe not even after she was gone.

The warmth of the tavern interior proved a welcome comfort this time, now that they were returning to it. Shallan had only just slipped inside when her companion spoke up again, this time about whether or not the inn would manage to hold them all. Was this a genuine concern, or another hasty attempt at slipping off on his own? Truth be told, she was having trouble telling nowadays. With how little they had seen each other whilst travelling, their walk through town felt like the first thing they had actually done together in a small eternity, and now this. Before she could formulate a reply, however, Tanya was quick to speak.

“Ah, crap. I just realised that we didn’t tell any of the others that we found you, Mec. They’ll still be out there searching” Tanya answered. She cast a longing glance towards the hall, lips pursed, before letting out a soft sigh. “I’ll have to go let them know. You guys go on ahead, yeah?” she offered. Without waiting for anything resembling a proper reply, Tanya would slip from the entryway and back out into the cold, disappearing into the night and vanishing from sight as the door swung closed.

With that, the two of them were left relatively alone. Not so much so that Shallan would risk discussing things openly, given that someone could walk in at any time, but it was a small step in the right direction.

She gave her friend an appraising look then, her fingers laced together as she tried to decide what to do. Truth be told, Shallan would really have loved to stay and watch the dancers. To simply relax. Forget all this talk of magic and danger and just enjoy the show for what it was. Mec’s talk of finding a proper bedroom would doubtless give them as much privacy as they were likely to find tonight, and she still hated the idea of being left in the dark. Being left behind whilst Mec ran off and dealt with everything alone was grating enough as is. Finally, she let out a soft sigh.

“Stomach problems, huh?” Shallan asked, tilting her head to one side slightly. The question was rhetorical, however; a simple verbal reminder. She was quick to continue, without really waiting for an answer. “Come on. Lets see if we can’t go and find you that room you were so worried about.”

Having said her piece, Shallan would reach out to take Mec’s hand gently, as if she were worried he might vanish without her again, given the opportunity. She’d lead the way towards the stairs leading towards the inn’s second story, before climbing up to the next landing. Once they reached the walkway, she’d brush past another patron and his friends as they headed the other way, before looking down the hallway beyond.

“Do you have any idea how Clair normally organises these things? I have no clue which rooms are already taken, be it by other misfits or any other travellers currently staying here” she asked, casting her gaze down the hallway, at the lines of identical doors.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Shallan was the first to speak once the pair was left alone, and Mec raised both of his eyebrows in response. He could not help but feel like he was being scolded for... something. Was it for hurrying off? Lying? Maybe a bit of both, if he was being honest with himself. The touch of Shallan's hand made him feel a little guilty, even, with how carefully she grasped him.

They ventured into the upper floor of the inn, occasionally passing other patrons, Misfits or otherwise. It was considerably warmer in the second story hallways than it was down below, due to the heat rising through the gaps between the wooden floor boards. Mec assumed that the rooms would not be as unbearable, especially if the windows could be opened, but if they were he would have to reevaluate his potential plan to set up his own camp elsewhere.

"I think there is a certain section of rooms that are taken for the group, but I think any sort of organizing stopped there. I do not think the innkeep was tracking which rooms contained which people. Probably content with the fact they were able to profit from the rooms for the night." He watched as patrons crawled into and out of the rooms around them. He thought he recognized one as a fellow Misfit, and quickly peaked inside the room they had come from.

The inside of the room was devoid of any people, but the beds all were marked claimed with the bags of their owner's belongings. Regardless, Mec pulled Shallan into the room behind him. He released her hand, and quickly searched around the room to make sure no one was somehow hidden inside, even peaking underneath the beds momentarily. When his paranoia was sated, he hurried back to Shallan and retook her hand, holding it in front of him with both of his hands.

"I can't join you again in the hall downstairs," he said. "The lamps that lined the walls? They're made of the same metal that was used to make the mageslayer's sword and armor. I did not realize it until I had run off, but the light was what made me so sick. I found Olenna's puppet when I was in the woods, and she explained that that metal, Thindesatite, influences the Anima that my kind rely on."

His eyes were fixed on Shallan's hand that he held in front of him, anchoring him as he both thought aloud and relayed the information to his partner. "She told me I can avoid the effects of the metal if I disconnect myself from the Anima, but she and I both agree that would be a bad idea. Plus I don't know how to do that yet, truly. I just haven't tried. Not to mention the fact that we still have not found an explanation for that magic that I felt earlier. Strange that this inn would have a room that was essentially anti-magic, and at the same time there is potentially a magic user other than myself and Olenna here, isn't it?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Shallan pursed her lips briefly at the words of her companion, humming softly to herself for a moment as she considered how best to solve their problem. The obvious answer was to backtrack and try and find someone who could tell them, but doing so felt like a mildly irritating waste of time. Thankfully, it appeared that Mec had some other plans, these ones all his own. Shallan had to suppress a squeal when he suddenly yanked her inside one, seemingly chosen at random.

A quick glance around the room was enough to let her know that this one definitely wasn’t unoccupied. In fact, it seemed that there wasn’t so much as a single bed spare, for either of them to lay claim upon. The aspiring singer turned towards Mec, opening her mouth to point out this very obvious fact, before pausing slightly as she caught sight of her friend crouching down to peer beneath the beds. Just what was going on here? Had she missed something?

Thankfully, she was saved from having to articulate any such thoughts by Mec returning his attention to her good and proper, taking her hand in the process. Any responses she may have had died on her lips as she took in in words. On the surface, they were shocking. A metal that resisted magic, and had harmful effects to any mages unfortunate to stumble across them? On the surface, it sounded ridiculous. At the same time, however, what she would have once considered ridiculous seemed to be getting more and more common for them…and it certainly explained everything that had happened so far this evening.

Perhaps more worrying was the way that Mec was handling all this. The way he had run out earlier, the sudden paranoia, and now the seemingly new concern over the other source of magic they had encountered earlier in the day. Now didn’t seem like the time or the place to voice her concerns, however. Perhaps the events of the day simply had him spooked, or maybe he was even right to be so worried. No. Best to deal with the matter at hand first, and see how things played out before voicing more personal concerns.

“I see” Shallan answered rather simply, trying to buy herself a moment to think a little more about all the news her companion had shared. She’d take a few casual steps over to the nearest bed, before helping herself to a seat atop it, seemingly unbothered by the fact that it was claimed. The mattress was remarkably better than those of most inns they stayed at, she noted absentmindedly.

“I can’t say I’m thrilled to have another potential problem we need to watch out for, but…truth be told, this doesn’t feel like that much of a major roadblock. Now that we know the lamps are there, that they’re causing the issue, the solution seems rather simple” she’d answer in earnest. The girl would place both of her hands behind her, leaning back slightly, whilst her gaze wandered upwards.

“Whilst having to stay away from the entertainment might be a little boring, I can bring you anything you need easily enough. Any of the misfits could, really.”

The girl managed to hide her displeasure with Mec’s choice of words, but a part of her couldn’t help but wonder when the mages had become ‘his kind’. Did that mean she was no longer is kind? That their shared connection to the Anima distinguished he and Olenna from regular people like her? That sounded like the sort of thing regular people said, when speaking of the mages with such disgust. Even so, she was quick to continue.

“In any case, I’m not convinced its anything more than a coincidence. Why would another mage willingly stay around here, so close to something that is so harmful for them? Seems like a foolish thing to do to me. And even if there were, what could we really do about it?” she asked. Shallan would direct her gaze back towards Mec once more as she finished, tilting her head to one side slightly.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mec nodded in silent agreement in regards to the lamps being a minor issue, and hopefully only a temporary one at that. It would be difficult to cover up why he would explicitly avoid that room should any of the misfits notice that consistent quirk, but he was sure if he was careful it would not cause too much grief. Even still, he was not willing to immediately dismiss that there was a potential link between the events that had already transpired during their short stay in this town.

"It's hard to say it's a coincidence without knowing any of the history of this town, isn't it?" he finally said. "What if the lamps are more than just white lamps that the owners of the tavern fancied when they were decorating? What if they served as a safeguard of some kind? If they did, could it be from whatever caused the use of the Anima I felt earlier?" After a moment, he sat next to Shallan, sharing a seat on the same bed she had chosen to perch on. "You're right though. Whatever it was that I felt, it was nothing like what I felt that night that we helped Clair. It lacked the malice, and was not nearly as strong."

He pressed his finger tips together, watching as his fingers stretched as he pushed his hands closer together. "I suppose I only worry because I fear that what I used to think about magic is actually true. That it is inherently, well, bad. That any good it might bring is only superficial." After a pause, he laughed. "Eh, enough about all that," he said. "We haven't even figured out where we're going to sleep tonight, that should my main worry." He quickly arose and reached back to take Shallan's hand and pull her to her feet.

"I was thinking, since these rooms seemed so crowded, it might be more comfortable to just set up another quick camp somewhere else," he said. "No one would be suspicious of that, would they?" Without giving it another thought, Mec lead the way out of the room, peering around the narrow hallway before deciding on a direction to follow. Despite the goings on down below, the upper floor was surprisingly quiet. The merriment that took place in the main hall was muffled to a low droning that one would easily grow accustomed to hearing, should they be trying to rest or otherwise need some sort of quiet in the rooms above.

A familiar face appeared from one of the rooms. It was Sarah, the girl who was caring for Clair when she was ill. "Are you still trying to find a room? I think I know which one might have a couple beds still free." She quickly approached one of the rooms. "These red ribbons, tied around the knockers on the door? That's how you know they're for us." She tugged at the red piece of cloth that hung off of the brass door knocker before opening the door and stepping inside. "Yup, it was this one," she said, pointing to a few beds that did not appear to be claimed. The girl turned to leave, pausing before she glanced back at them one more time. "I'm glad you both have joined us, even if it might just be for a short while." She smiled shyly before she shrugged and hurried away.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Whilst her companion might have brushed all this talk of good and evil off rather quickly, Shallan wasn’t quite content to leave things there. She pursed her lips as she considered Mec’s fears, silently pondering the unspoken question that he had posed. If one were to use Olenna as the benchmark, Shallan would have been hard-pressed to disagree that magic was…unsettling, at the very least. At the same time, however, others were hardly as terrible. She had a tough time imagining Cho as being inherently evil, after getting to pet the magical animals he had called forth, and learning about his quest. Heck, had Mec himself not cured that lady of her illness, back when they had first set out? Had he not forestalled Clair’s death, and decided that he would find a way to cure her completely?

Such words, of course, could be excused just as easily as those Mec had already waved aside. Shallan decided then that she’d have to take a different approach. Maybe she could keep an eye out for an opportunity in which he might use his powers to help someone else, and make her case then. Preferably in a way that didn’t involve exposing the two of them, but…well, she’d see. It was a possibility to keep in mind going forward, at the very least.

“It’s not a bad idea. It’d be a good excuse to keep away from those lanterns, at the very least, and I doubt anyone would blame you, now that they all think you’re feeling sick” Shallan offered in response to his plan, shoving her prior thoughts aside for the time being. Content to tag along and follow Mec’s plan, she followed him out into the hallway beyond, and was promptly waylaid by the unexpected appearance of Sarah. Inwardly thankful for the girl’s intervention, she followed along silently. She opened her mouth to express her thanks, but Sarah excused herself before she got the chance, disappearing back through the doorway and out of sight. Shallan watched her go in silence, quietly wondering if the girl was simply very thankful for their intervention, or there was something else at play, on top of that.

“Well, that was convenient…though I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised. A good sense of timing is rather important amongst a group of stage performers, after all” Shallan answered. Her gaze drifted back towards Mec, one corner of her mouth twitching upwards into a ghostly hint of a smile. “I was perfectly willing to camp out again if it proved necessary, but I won’t deny that I’ve missed the opportunity to sleep in a proper bed during our travels. I’ll be sure to make the most of the opportunity.”

As if to emphasise this point, Shallan strolled over to one of the unclaimed beds and flopped down on it unceremoniously. Like the others, it was far from the most comfortable mattress she had ever felt, but a damn sight better than trying to sleep in the back of the wagon, or on whatever patch of ground looked comfiest when they stopped for the night. She let out a content sigh, and it was only after laying there in silence for a moment that she rolled over onto one side. Shallan would prop her head up on her hand idly, so that she could still face Mec properly whilst the two of them spoke.

“I can’t help but wonder if Sarah is just thankful for your help, or if she’s actually a little sweet on you. It wouldn’t be the most surprising thing, after you saved her friend like that.” She paused briefly to run her free hand through her hair idly, her gaze drifting upwards as she pondered the possibility. “Heck, now that I think about it, Clair herself very well might be. She’s a little harder to judge, though. She spends so much of her time managing this operation, and acts so friendly with everyone…”

Shallan trailed off as she pondered the thought. Truth be told, the girl wasn’t quite certain how she felt about the idea. Even so, a bit of idle speculation could be fun, It was a considerably less serious topic than the one that they had been discussing before, but…well, it was good to relax and stop worrying, even if just for a little while.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mec watched thoughtfully as Shallan made her way to one of the beds and settled down into it. She was not wrong that the opportunities to sleep in proper beds was growing more and more rare as they their journey continued, and the aches Midir's floors left on Mec's shoulders were a testament to that fact. Maybe there would be a way to make his little magical camp more comfortable to sleep in though. Some creativity would be involved, but surely he had the means to do it. It was too bad it would not be as simple as summoning some comfy animal to use as a pillow like Cho could do.

He approached an empty bed that was close to Shallan's, smoothing over the mattress with one hand before slowly lowering himself onto it. He sat on the edge so he could face Shallan as he spoke, supporting himself with his hands on either side of him. He shifted slightly as his friend brought up her topic of choice, leaning on one arm while watching his own fingers from the other hand slide back and forth along the edge of his bed. Tracking the movement of his hand preoccupied his attention, so he spoke without making eye contact with his partner.

"I don't know about any of that," he mumbled. One could start a campfire with the embers that smouldered behind his cheeks. The thought that Sarah may have taken a liking to him in that way had not crossed his mind, but after it had been brought to light as possibility he was not sure if it was truly the case or not. The attention would not be completely unwelcome, but Mec knew that now that the seed was planted in his head he would undoubtedly be looking for signs any time he interacted with the girl again in the future, which would only strain those future exchanges. A curse that even the Equinox could not resolve.

The movement of his hand slowed awkwardly at the mention of Clair, but Mec was quick to pick the speed back up. What was his relationship with Clair, truly? He had seen her vulnerabilities that no normal human, save for Shallan, would even accept, let alone emphasize with. She was so kind to him from the moment they had met. They shared a bath, she granted him free seating to one of her play, and even now was aiding with his travels. Their companionship was further cemented by the fact that Clair was now reliant on his powers.

That thought served to anchor Mec, or in reality, serve as a way for him to deny himself credit in such an affair. Clair would not have brought him along if it were not for that fact that she needed him. Their engagements prior to the curse were easily coincidences, and any kindness Clair showed to him she would have shared with anyone. She was known for being friendly with everyone, just as Shallan had said.

"I think Sarah just trusts Clair's judgement of people. If Clair saw us fit to bring along, then the members of the group that trust her the most would certainly behave in kind." The mage then stretched his arms over his head, before turning to lay his back to the mattress and stare up at the ceiling. "As for Clair, I think you're right that she is friendly with everyone. She always seems ready to socialize and make new friends. And besides, she needs my help. Not that I would have any reason not to offer it, but she may think she needs to be on my good side for now." He paused for a long moment, silently drawing a long breath through his nose. He remembered during his training with Midir, how the man had plucked one of Mec's most selfish thoughts so easily and dangled it in front of him. Only now was Mec seeing it becoming a pattern, that the most cherished people he had met on this journey were stuck with him.

Quickly, he boxed away that thought, shoving it to a corner of his mind. It need not be addressed, ever, he thought. Rather, Mec turned his head to look over to Shallan, placing his hands between his head and the thin pillow. He smiled for a second, and even chuckled. Surely, his companion would have no idea what sort of thoughts she had provoked with her rather harmless topic of choice, and now that Mec compartmentalized them away he could return to behaving as he normally would. "You don't think that maybe you're just being... I don't know a good word for it. Protective? Or a bit jealous, even?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Shallan hummed softly to herself as she pondered the implications of Mec’s words, more or less lost in thought as she turned the pieces of that particular puzzle over in her mind. She wanted to believe that most – if not all – of Clair’s good cheer was genuine, but there was no denying that it made her a little difficult to judge sometimes. Or was she simply being too sceptical of someone who had shown them nothing but good cheer, faith, and kindness? That thought was a little less comforting, and Shallan quickly shoved it aside.

Thankfully, it was only mere moments before Mec offered her up the perfect little distraction. Shallan’s free hand ceased its idle wandering at his words, and after a brief moment, her gaze drifted back towards him. The girl raised her eyebrows as she pressed her free hand to her chest, her expression and tone shot through with mock, exaggerated surprise.

“Jealous, hm? What exactly do you think you’re accusing me of here, Mec? Speak plainly, or a girl might get the wrong idea” Shallan answered, a hint of amusement dancing behind her eyes. How far would he go, honestly or otherwise, if she decided to push things further? It was an interesting question, but alas, Shallan wasn’t content to relax and wait for his answer. Her bed would creak inconspicuously as she pushed herself up into a sitting position good and proper, her façade slipping into something more casual.

“I don’t think I have any real cause for concern. I’ll worry about you running off with someone else when you decide you can share your secret with them yourself, instead of being forced into it by circumstance” Shallan answered earnestly, doing her best to brush any such concerns aside. No sooner than the words had left her mouth did the girl realise that it hadn’t been a choice on Mec’s part to share his secret with her, either, but it was much too late to take her words back then. A small hesitation is all that would mark the sudden realisation, before Shallan would quickly push onwards, once again unwilling to leave herself any time to dwell on that unwelcome thought, lest it grow into something more.

“Frankly, I’m not sure if I should be more jealous of them, or you. We aren’t even proper members of the misfits yet, really, but you seem to have your own little fanbase amongst our friends regardless.” Her gaze would drift away then, towards the far side of the room. Her smile would return, but it would be little more than a ghost of the one she had worn before. Before all this talk had moved past quiet musings and into a deeper type of thought. “I know it would be hard to actually pursue anything, considering our circumstances, but…well, you said it was important to try and enjoy the little things, right? Entertain thoughts of what we might get to see and do in the future, once things have settled down.”

There was a brief moment of silence as Shallan mulled that over, but whatever thoughts she had ultimately remained her own. When she did finally speak, it was concerning another matter entirely.

“Oh, before I forget. If you get hungry at any point, just let me know, and I can probably go down and find something to bring up for you. I’m sure the others will believe that your stomach has settled a little and that you’re up to trying your luck again…though you may have to settle for something a little on the bland side, to avoid suspicion.”

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

A grin spread across his lips as Mec turned his head to face the ceiling above, avoiding meeting gazes with Shallan's as she challenged his words. Truthfully, he did not know how to answer. Was it better to speak plainly, like Shallan had jokingly demanded, or was it better to skirt dangerously close to the matter, as Mec had usually done? Luckily for him, Shallan did not seem to expect an answer from him right away, and continued on. A stray lock of hair fell moved across his forehead as he turned his head to look towards Shallan again, curiously watching her as she took continued to take hold of the conversation.

Shallan's small gap in her reasoning not to be worried about him running off did not go unnoticed, but Mec knew better than bring any attention to it. There was no reason to bring it up, really, and it did not matter in the end. It did make him aware that should the need to bring an outsider into the fold, and make the secret known to them, it would have to have to be with Shallan's council. Mec did not recall heeding as much caution when making Clair aware of the situation, but, as Shallan had alluded, there was not much choice in the matter. Even so, the experience served to remove some of the fear from having to make such a choice again. Of course, he would not share the secret with everyone person he felt was a new friend, the reality was far from that, but if he had to do so again it the hesitation would be from careful calculation and not from fear.

Mec's expression softened when Shallan had recounted the words he had said to her back in Olenna's hideout. In fact, hearing her say them back to him made it hard to breathe, in a good way. The feeling was so different than anything he felt before, different from the heat that burned through his skin at the sight of the curly-haired server at the Sleeping Giant, and upon hearing the exotic accents and names of the girls they met when Midir had taken them out, or any other time Mec was irrationally stricken by a beauty for that matter. He felt lighter, unburdened, like everything around him was delicate and floating weightlessly.

He sat up, his bed echoing the same creaking that Shallan's had sounded when she moved in the same way. At first, his gaze flickered down towards the floor, then they quickly tracked upwards, carefully observing Shallan as if he could somehow see if she was serious. When his dark irises finally met hers, he let out a single, quiet chuckle. "I did say that. I still think it's true." After that, the pair sat silently for a short while, ultimately keeping any further thoughts they had to themselves for the time being, saving them to be revisited when the time was right.

Shallan eventually brought up the topic of food. Mec had almost forgotten that neither of them had gotten a chance to eat thanks to his sudden need to flee from the lamps downstairs. "That... Actually would be great," he said. "But I think you should eat first, maybe even spend some time with our friends downstairs. I can hold out for a while longer before I really need to eat anyway. I know you would want to see the performances downstairs, wouldn't you?"

Whatever Shallan ultimately decided to do, Mec had reserved himself to the room for the time being. He would be able to keep an eye on his and Shallan's belongings, while also spending some time to think on the events of that day. There was a piece of magic training he would be able to do while sitting on his bed, without giving himself away, and that would be a skill that Olenna had made clear he might have been lacking: the ability to pinpoint the source of magic. It was entirely possible that most mages did not have a deep enough connection to the Anima to sense even what Mec could sense, but he knew that was no standard he could set for himself. After all, he had the Equinox, an ability that Olenna had no idea existed. He should be more in tune with the Anima. He needed to peel back the layers of mystery that cloaked it, and become the best mage he could be. That was the path he needed to follow to honor the sacrifices Shallan made for him, and realize his own purpose, was it not?

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Shallan hummed thoughtfully to herself for a moment as she considered Mec’s suggestion. There was no doubting that his words had merit, and carried a hefty measure of truth for good measure. She hadn’t gotten to eat before the disappearing act that Mec had pulled, really, and his pointing out that was fact quick to make her realise just how hungry she really was. A hand drifted down to rest of her stomach idly as she contemplated the fact, expression thoughtful. There was no denying that she would have enjoyed a chance to watch the show, either, and perhaps it would serve as a good opportunity to check up on her new friends, and make sure that everyone had accepted their story about Mec’s upset stomach without batting an eye.

That was what she told herself, at the very least. A part of her was loathe to abandon Mec again, especially given how little they had really gotten to talk over the past few days, but if he was telling her to go, then what grounds did she really have to refuse? Her mind made up, Shallan slowly climbed to her feet. She’d pause only momentarily to take a moment to stretch, groaning softly in apparent satisfaction.

“I won’t be too long…hopefully. Try not to fall asleep before I get back, yeah?”

With those parting words and a small smile, Shallan was gone, slipping out of their newly acquired room and into the hall beyond. She was forced to squeeze past a few other patrons moving in the other direction as she headed down the hallway and the stairs beyond, but it ultimately proved a short and uneventful trip back to the main hall. When Shallan arrived, her gaze lingered on the hanging lanterns for a moment. Were they really made of some rare, exotic metal that could cause problems for mages? She had no reason to doubt Mec and his claims, especially given how the evening had played out, but it was hard to imagine something so pretty causing so many problems. At least, for someone like her.

Shallan pushed such thoughts from her mind when she realised that someone was calling her name. A quick glance around was enough to locate the source – Ashlyn was waving at her from a nearby table, gesturing for her to come over. Shallan had to take a bit of a longer path to move through the crowd, but when she arrived, the reception was warm. The other misfits moved quickly and efficiently to clear a spot for her, and Shallan was quick to join them. After answering a few questions about what had happened, and reassuring everyone that Mec was fine now, she found it easy to join in the conversation. The performance on stage was well and truly underway now – the first set of dancers had apparently finished their piece, and had now been replaced by some new faces with new outfits, and a smile flickered across Shallan’s features at the sight. Despite their issues earlier, it was shaping up to be quite a wonderful night after all.

Shallan became so enamoured by the performances and the company that time began to slip away from her, quickly and steadily. It wasn’t until the final performance for the night had concluded that she realised it had likely been over an hour since her arrival, and she was yet to fulfil her performance of returning to Mec with food. Feeling a little bit sheepish, Shallan politely excused herself from the group, telling the others that she wanted to check up on her friend. She joined the throng of patrons heading for the door now that the performances had concluded, but whilst they headed towards the exit, Shallan moved in the opposite direction, seeking out one of the servers who was currently unoccupied.

After a brief explanation and the exchange of a few coins, Shallan would finally return to their room. She held a small platter in her hands, packed high with simple fare. Plain biscuits, mild cheese, and similar morsels that one could trust to avoid upsetting an unstable stomach. Nowhere near as tasty as what she had enjoyed on the floor below, but necessary, to maintain their deception. She opened the door and found that they no longer had the room to themselves – a few other misfits had already retired, filling up the beds that had been vacant earlier. What’s more, it seemed that she was too late. A small smile graced Shallan’s features as she looked down at her sleeping companion, and she quickly decided that it was time to follow his example. She set the platter down on his bedside table, confident that its contents would keep until morning, before moving to become better aquatinted with her own bed.

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 ... LastLast