Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Anima Mundi IC (Namingtoohard and Headwrapper)

The Moonlight Knight
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Magical Worlds
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Lips pressed together in a tiny grin, Cho unwrapped his arms from around his chest before taking a few small strides towards the door of the cabin. He stopped between Mec and the door, studying the mage's face as he shook his head subtly. "You really can't reach the Anima, huh?" he said in bewilderment. "I mean, I could tell you couldn't, but now I really can tell."

Before Mec could question Cho's statements, a sharp rapping drummed against the wooden door. He wiped the grease from the rabbit meat off his fingers using the side of his pants and straightened himself. He watched as Cho approached the cabin's door.

Small hands reached for the latch that served as the door's lock, and with a little grunt, Cho moved it aside. He then guided the door open. "Oh? Well hello, princess," he said excitedly. "You must be freezing. Oh!" Cho stepped to the side as Shallan brushed past, smiling as he did so. His delicately small fingers squeezed the side of the door as he held it slightly ajar. The cabin's air suddenly felt heavy. Heavy with emotion as Shallan pushed her tired legs onward to reunite with one she cherished so much. Heavy with fright when Mec recognized the angst and condition of his treasured partner. As the pair embraced, Cho watched quietly for a few seconds, before peeking outside the door. A faint memory returned to him, one he thought to ponder elsewhere while he gave the pair their privacy.

Soon after the door had closed, Mec was released from Shallan's embrace. His jaw was stiff from silently bearing through the pain in his throbbing shoulder, as well as clenching through the rush of other thoughts and questions that poured into his mind. After Shallan had a chance to regain herself, Mec reached out with his better arm. He gently held onto his partner's fingers as they reconciled the events that transpired while they were separated.

"I'm sorry for worrying you," he said. With careful steps backward, he sat back down onto the edge of his bed. As he did so, he gently pulled Shallan along, silently inviting her to sit beside him. "I'm glad you found me. Leaving this place before I completely recovered would have conflicted with Olenna's plans, it seems. G is gone, my powers are suppressed, too. Cho seems confidant they will come back, but it will take some time."

He recounted the events with the white knight and the huntress with the white bow, the ones Cho had dubbed "Justiciars" before. "It seems that knight, Gaxeel, enlisted the help of another like him. A woman with a bow with the same properties that knight's armor has. She had arrow tips with the same kind of metal. I barely had time to react when she loosed her arrow from the shadows of the trees."

"It was... horrible, Shallan. We fought, me and Olenna and that woman and Gaxeel. That's the damage that you saw in the forest. I passed out during the battle. I think a piece of the arrow broke off inside my shoulder... But Olenna must have won for me to still be alive, and be here."

He adjusted himself where he sat, combating the discomfort in his arm. "You said that Godrich helped you look for me?" he asked. "So that means everyone is still back at the city then?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Gentle words, spoken in a familiar tone. The brush of Mec’s fingers, and the warmth of his hand in hers. These small comforts helped ground Shallan a little. Helped her accept that all of this was real, that Mec was actually alive, and that they were finally together again. She let her friend lead her over to the mattress, and practically collapsed atop it. The ache in her legs seemed to intensify, now that she’d finally stopped walking, and Shallan suspected that she wouldn’t be able to get up any time soon. Not that she wanted to, now that she was here.

Shallan didn’t dare let go of Mec’s hand while he spoke. Almost like she was afraid that he’d disappear again, if she didn’t hold him here. She just listened placidly as he spoke about how his magic had faded, about how G had been oddly silent, and how Cho was confident that both would return eventually. For a brief moment, Shallan found herself wondering if they wouldn’t be better off without it. They wouldn’t need to worry about being hunted, or repaying Olenna for her assistance. They’d be able to return home, or travel anywhere else they wanted, without fear of persecution. It would be an ordinary life, but an easy one.

And yet…had she not spent a great deal of time insisting that Mec’s magic could be a force for good? That he could use it to help people, despite the stigma against his kind? Given the choice, would she really want to give up that possibility? After turning the question over in her mind for a few moments, Shallan pushed it aside. Mec’s magic was a part of him, just like his voice, or his hands, or his mind. To cut it away would be to remove an intrinsic part of her friend. No. She didn’t want that, no matter how much trouble it would save them.

Shallan turned her attention back to Mec as he recounted his horrific experience with these ‘Justicars’ from the forest. The knowledge that this one knight had pursued Mec halfway across the country was almost as terrifying as the idea that there were more of them, armed with equipment of similar make, all of one mind and purpose. She let him speak for as long as he felt necessary, the occasional inadvertent sniffle her only interruptions. Shallan gripped his hand a little more tightly as she considered all this, and tried to figure out what words of comfort she could really offer. Before any came to mind, though, Mec posed another question. One Shallan had desperately hoped to avoid for just a little longer.

“I’m…not sure. Things got a little complicated when we made it to the city.” Shallan spoke in a soft voice, before lapsing into a brief silence as she tried to figure out the best way to explain the situation. The last thing she needed was for Mec to run off after Clair before he was fully healed. She cast a quick glance around the cabin, searching for Cho, only to find that the boyish mage had vanished. While a part of her wished he was here to help, another couldn’t help but appreciate his unspoken respect for their privacy. Hopefully she hadn’t upset him with her rude entrance, and hopefully he was nearby, just in case.

“The guards at the city gates were using these special tools to test people for magic, and I guess that Clair’s curse was enough to set them off. They accused her of being a witch and hauled her away in front of everyone. Shaun tried to stop them, but they…” Shallan shook her head as she trailed off – a clear indication as to how well that had gone. The rest of the story flowed a little easier after that. She told Mec about how Godrich had tried to talk the guards down, but without success. She told him she’d revealed Clair’s secret to Godrich and Ella while trying to enlist their aid. Of how they’d come up with a plan to break Clair out before her execution, and had left the Misfits to avoid implicating them. Of how they’d tricked the guards into releasing Clair into their custody, only for things to go sideways at the very last moment.

“Clair’s curse took full control and she transformed into some sort of twisted monster, right in the middle of the street. I assume that was when you collapsed, or not long after. Everyone was running, and screaming. Godrich got a little too close, and she almost killed him. The city guard showed up and drove her from the city before she could hurt anyone else, but…well, we’ve already started hearing stories about the monster terrorizing the countryside.” Shallan tightened her grip on Mec’s hand then, squeezing it a little harder than was probably polite. As if that might stop him, if he did decide to rush off after her.

“I imagine that Olenna is already trying to track her down. Clair stirring up a new wave of anti-magic sentiments is probably the last thing she needs. Godrich is waiting at an inn by the road, and probably wondering where the hell I am. As for the rest of the Misfits…I have no idea if they’re still in town, or if they left as soon as the gates were open again.”

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The old, wooden frame of the bed creaked lightly as Mec stirred to focus his gaze on Shallan. The vaguely negative sentiment that she began her response with solicited a not-so-vague, serious expression from Mec. His lips, dry as bone, were firmly pressed together, presenting the beginnings of a scowl. When he was fully readjusted, raising his leg onto the mattress slightly to look at Shallan more directly, he studied her face as intently as a traveler would scour the night sky for constellations. The longer Shallan paused to form the right words, the more intently Mec searched for some hint, some nonverbal cue, to inform him of what might come after the short pause in his companion's answer.

After what felt like eternity, but was truly only a brief moment, Mec no longer needed to search for his answers. Instead, he listened to Shallan's recount of the events, staving off distress as well as a butterfly could hold off a snow storm. "Shaun," he repeated first, picturing the large and dim-witted man confronting a group of armed men. The fool always had a blind, but fierce, loyalty for Clair. So loyal, in fact, that at times his own disability did not get in the way of carrying out what he had to do to serve her. Was he not the person that, either through wisdom or by some divine stroke of luck, decided to bring Mec instead of a doctor to help eliminate the symptoms of Clair's curse when they first began to grow unbearable? Even so, Mec did not need to try hard to imagine what little that loyalty did to improve a physical altercation with armed mage hunters, convinced that they were living up to their namesakes.

The remaining details brought more havoc, stripping away at Mec's composure as quickly as a tornado might tear away the planks off an old barn. He was surprised to hear about the confession to Godrich and Ella, though admittedly he could not think of any better options. A memory of Ella from one of the Misftis' jamborees returned to him. A beautiful, red-haired woman, drawing the eyes and favors of many. Yet despite doing so, she only desired what Clair, her only superior in the hierarchy of troubadours, had, be it a glance, a dance, or otherwise.

Protecting the majority of the Misfits from implication in crimes of sorcery did not come as any surprise. The traveling band of performers had been nothing short of one of the most loyal groups of individuals, dedicated to protecting each other, while making merriment and coin along the way. Although not a single member belonged to a prestige house or had much to their name beyond what they could carry, it was the largest family Mec had ever seen. Seeing their leader, wise, beautiful, intelligent, and resolute, be handled ousted as an enchantress, manhandled, and arrested... It had to be devastating. The impact the event would have on the group would resound with them for the rest of their lives. Mec could not help but wonder how successful the Misfits would be without Clair as their guiding star.

The mage shifted nervously as Shallan recounted the tale of her and Godrich extracting Clair from her prison. His throat became dryer than hard bread and he felt the hairs on his arms raise. Swallowing down a heavy lump in his throat, he mentally wished, prayed, to hear of Clair's safety. That she escaped and was managing the curse, fighting to suppress it while she waited for Mec to return. It seemed hopeful, but the crackdown on the city's exits was a difficult impediment. Wishfully, he waited to hear of how the group was able to figure their way out of the situation. Listening, unfortunately, did not do much to sway the events of the past.

Shallan's voice did not falter as she continued her recollection, having gained enough momentum with her monologue to carry her through to the end. A sharp hiss escaped Mec's lips when he heard about Clair's transformation, like he had accidentally come into contact with some hot iron. Squeezing his eyes closed, he shook his head and turned away from Shallan as she continued. Although he continued to listen, his mind was transfixed on the memory of that... thing, that Clair had become. Even if he was not present for her transformation, he had seen the grotesque beast when he fought to subdue the curse the first time. He was unable to forget the grey skin, almost falling off of the monster's bony frame. Its crimson eyes, its hideous screech, it's strange birdlike maw. The memory burned brightly in his mind's eye, so vividly that nothing else occupied his thoughts while Shallan concluded her reminiscence.

Unable to suppress the nauseating panic and anger that welled up in the very depths of his stomach, the mage instinctively rose to his feet. A slight pull of his arm halted him from plowing ahead and he stood still for a long moment. A blazing red heat rose in his face and extended down his neck and arms, so excruciating he was almost shaking in anger. Even so, he stayed still and closed his eyes. He could feel Shallan's hand firmly grasping his behind him. Mec's thumb gently moved, exploring the small and familiar fingers that squeezed his own. He did this, until he could feel overwhelming fire in his veins begin to cool.

"I can do something, I'll figure it out," he finally said, turning back to Shallan. "We'll get to her before any of the mage hunters, and stop her from hurting anyone else. I'll convince Olenna that I need to be the one to stop her. It was my powers that subdued the curse for so long, after all."

Not too far away from the cottage, Cho stood, reminiscing in his own memories. "So, it's happening again," he thought aloud. His vigilance must have been waning over the last few decades, if he was learning about the presence of a humanoid monster through Olenna's network of informants before learning of it himself. He crossed his bony arms, and glanced back towards the owl perched on the threshold of the cottage. "Psst, c'mon, some privacy," he whispered, waving the owl towards him with an innocent grin. He lifted his slender arm, prepared to let the owl perch on it, not minding the sharp talons in the slightest. "The histories do not speak much of the non-human magical beings that inhabit this small world of ours," he said. "But that doesn't mean the phenomenon is not significant. In fact, I suspect it is more dangerous than even you realize, Olenna."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Shallan was so concerned about the possibility of Mec rushing off that she tried to keep a close eye on him, even as she recited her tale from memory. What she saw did not fill her with hope. Everything, from his body language to the way he hissed, hinted at a pain worse than his physical injuries. One that she had delivered to him, and was powerless to soothe. When he rose from the bed, face flushed, Shallan was certain she was about to see her fears realised. With nausea bubbling up inside her, all she could do was hold on, and yet…Mec chose to stay. He mastered his anger and decided on a more rational course of action, much to her relief. A blessing that she was immensely thankful for, and determined to avoid wasting.

“You’re right. We will.” Shallan spoke her platitudes in a soft voice, but there was an underlying edge to her tone that she truly believed it. Believed that they’d try, anyhow. Another set of sniffles came over her, and she took a moment to wipe at her nose and eyes again, before turning her mind to what came next. Shallan voiced her thoughts aloud as they came to her, talking through them for her own benefit, just as much as she was speaking to Mec. “We won’t be able to do much without your magic, so we’ll need to wait until your powers return, at the very least. Hopefully your shoulder will heal in the meantime, too. If Olenna really is trying to track down Clair, then she’ll probably have some solid information by then. We’ll just have to convince her to give it to us.”

Would Olenna really let them undertake this dangerous quest? Shallan had a hard time imagining it, after all the arch-mage had done to keep Mec safe so far. She’d fought on his behalf twice now, to say nothing of all the time, money and effort she’d invested into moving them, housing them, and training Mec to use his powers. And yet…she would always have to risk one of her own to deal with Clair, and Mec was the only one with experience. They already knew that she often called upon her mages to perform favors for her, as compensation for the work she did to keep them safe. Or maybe she’d try and deal with the threat herself, just to avoid risking them. Shallan didn’t know enough about the cabal’s mysterious leader to speculate, so maybe there was no real point thinking about it.

“I was led here by one of Olenna’s owls, so she definitely knows you’re here. I guess Cho’s presence already suggests as much. She’ll probably want to speak to you sooner or later, so I guess we just…use this time to figure out what we’re going to say to her?” Shallan finished her exposition with a dismissive shrug, lapsing into silence again. It wasn’t quite the stunning conclusion she had hoped for, but given the current state of them both, she wasn’t opposed to a little bit of rest. Hell, it was what she’d been hoping for. Still, if Mec disagreed, or had any ideas of his own, she’d be happy to hear him out.

While Shallan waited to see what her companion would say, she tugged on Mec’s hand gently, silently urging him to climb back into bed. An insistent addendum to her earlier suggestion that he rest until his power returned. A part of her wanted to get up and ask if there was anything he needed, to play nurse in hopes that it would speed up his recovery, but she still didn’t feel up to standing just yet. As she considered the possibility, though, another thought came to her. Shallan’s brows furrowed, and her gaze flickered towards his injured shoulder, just for a moment, before she’d speak again.

“Hey…you thought that there might be a piece of that arrowhead left in your shoulder, right? If they were made from the same material as the rest of the justiciars’ equipment, then could that be what’s interfering with your power? Are we…going to need to get someone to remove it?” It wasn’t a comforting thought, but if her suspicions were correct, then they might not have any real alternatives.

~~~

Olenna’s owl lingered above the threshold, even now, watching Cho from a distance. When the ancient child held out his arm in offering, she blinked once slowly, before spreading her wings. She glided across the space between them effortlessly, and landed atop his arm with all the grace of a natural-born bird. The mage even tried to be gentle when she landed, even if there was only so much she could do with such large talons. There was no getting around the fact that they would dig in a little, if she was going to hold on. Even so, she tried.

She couldn’t speak back to Cho right now. Not without one of her dolls nearby. She would have one here soon, but not until after this moment had passed. In lieu of an actual voice, Olenna made her feathered host hoot softly once – a sign that she was still there, still listening, if her friend wanted to talk despite this impediment. If the boy had any useful insight to share, she’d be more than happy to listen…and even if he didn’t, Olenna still wouldn’t mind. It wasn’t often that she allowed herself a break, and this seemed like a nice way to spend it. She could let herself indulge, just this one, if only for a few moments.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

For a moment, Mec feared that his wishes and optimistic ambitions were nothing but childish and unreasonable. After everything that had transpired, what Shallan had witnessed, what Mec could not prevent, one could argue that it was quite foolish to believe that a miraculous feat such as reversing Clair's mysterious curse was even possible. He questioned if he had even matured after all this time, or if he was still the same scared boy in Ozette hiding unnatural powers. Eventually, the moment passed. Shallans words, affirming her support of Mec's desires, dispelled those doubts. Dispelled them, and, in Mec's mind, utterly shredded them. For Mec was a man after all. Naturally, he inherited the same foolishness and ego that all men have. Just as naturally, like other men, he did not question that matters will inevitably resolve themselves the way he hopes them to.

Still true to his inherited nature, Mec followed his sweetheart's gentle pull without question. He rested beside her, close enough that they could share each other's warmth. "We just need to explain to Olenna that she mustn't hurt Clair, as much as possible. She's a victim, after all. She was targeted by the same evil magics they claim they are protecting the people from and now she's being punished for their failures. Worst of all, we still do not know who cast the curse in the first place... and if there will be others."

Tiny, crimson, drops of blood trickled from Cho's arm as he raised the owl before him. The red orbs fell to the ground, staining the dirt below. Cho paid little mind. After all, the wounds were temporary, very temporary, and he did not fear the risk of infection a hunter of vermin would bring. His small, pale lips turned into a half smile in response to the owls hoot. "Ah," he sighed quietly. "So you are there, friend." He walked to a nearby tree stump, brushed it off lightly with his free hand, and sat. "I will speak plainly, as I am sure you heard the princess's recollection too. In fact, I suspect you've already begun to take what you believe are necessary measures. Whatever it is you think you know about this creature, do not underestimate it."

Cho's youthful face grew uncharacteristically morose. "This monster is but a means to an end," he said gloomily. "It is the embodiment of dark magics that the people fear, why they cower behind their goddess Praesia. The justiciars and mage hunters of today pass their days stomping out healers and petty magicians and believe that compares to what their predecessors had faced. No, no, there are real dangers harnessing Animae can bring, but only very few can effectively face those dangers." He scratched at his thin neck with his small, dainty fingers. "Anyways, as I was saying. This transformation is no accident or happenstance. I also fear that is only the start of a wave of similar events to come."

His frame contorted as he turned to look back towards the cabin. Of course, Mec and Shallan were still cooped up inside of the cottage, allowing him to speak freely. "Let me tell you about an old friend of mine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Duusmentael Castle was an ancient structure that dated back to the Dark Days. It was quite modest as far as castles go. Its stone towers hardly stood greater than a height of seven meters or so, and its highest walls were even shorter at about five meters. The structure was covered in all kinds of flora. Vines and ivy encroached almost the entirety of its outside surface, except near the bottom, where it wore a skirt of moss that blended into the swampy earth surrounding the castle. At one time, the castle served a strategic wartime function, standing in one of the few areas of Tobthalin's floodplains that an army could safely traverse through. However, as the mires and swamps began to erode away at any safely traversable land, the use of such a fortress grew obsolete. It had since become abandoned, the stones left to eventually sink into the swamps.

A full moon revealed the small gaps between vines of ivy and lit up the stone underneath, giving the castle a marbled appearance, displaying the struggle between the man made structure and nature fighting to reclaim it. One such night, more than a century before Cho and Olenna's acquaintanceship began, the shadows of overcast clouds crept over the glimmering stones and dark vines of the Duusmentael Castle. The clouds moved quickly, as if controlled by a heavy wind that could not be felt from the earth below. Just as promptly, rain began to pour heavily over the castle, and the clouds began to rumble with thunder and shimmer with lightning.

An enormous figure emerged from the clouds, descending quickly. Its scales and bat-like wings glowed a ghostly, pale, blue color, standing out against the dark clouds and illuminating the castle walls below. It slowed as it reached the ground, turning itself upright in order to land on its two massive, scaled feet and shaking the earth beneath it. Standing on the marshy ground with its spine fully erect, the reptilian towered roughly the same height as the castle. Its wings, pale webs hanging upon a bony frame, spanned as long as the dragon was tall. Two massive white horns protruded from the top of its head, curling backwards like a goat's. Its tail, stretched behind it and serving to counter the creature's weight as it stood, spanned several meters and ended in a spiked ball.

Miraculously, another figure, much tinier than the dragon, began to lower himself from the dragon's back. Careful to avoid the sharp spikes that traced the creature's spine, the small human huffed and wheezed as he climbed down. When he reached the bottom, he leapt to the ground, awkwardly landing on small, shaky legs. Cho squinted from below his hood, shielding his face from the wind and rain with a raised arm. He looked up towards the dragon's menacing maw and then towards the castle. With a little grunt, he urged his legs to carry him through the swampy earth, towards the castle.

"What has he done?" he wheezed as he neared the castle's doors. On either side of him, skeletal hands began to tear from the earth, reaching up towards him. Human hands, stripped completely clean of flesh and muscle, but reaching and grasping all the same. "Allister!" he called loudly. "You are making a mistake! Stop this madness at once!"

As he yelled, he was interrupted by the appearance of another figure materializing in front of him. Although it took the shape of a man, towering above Cho, it glowed with a fiery red light. Cho shielded his eyes, straining to adjust to the sudden appearance of the bright light. He recognized the human features the light shaped itself to match. He recognized the shabby hair, slightly misaligned jaw, even the long and bony fingers. "It was a mistake for you to come, Cho," a voice said dully. "But now that you are here, I will not let you leave." More figures began to emerge, this time, erupting from the soggy earth surrounding Cho. Human skeletons, supported by a dark magic, tore through the earth like a moth tearing itself out of its cocoon. Four of them emerged, each standing at a different height.

Unable to help himself, Cho eyed up each skeleton with a sweeping glance. One was tall with a wide frame for a torso, belonging to a man of considerable size once. The other had wide hips, and the pelvis was slightly spread apart. It must have belonged to a woman once, a mother in fact. The third was much shorter, about the same as Cho's height. A child? The fourth was similar to the mother's frame, but was free of the damage brought upon by motherhood, age, and stress. Cho could only guess the skeleton belonged to an adolescent, young, female.

"So this is your true nature, Allister?" Cho asked. His small hands curled up into fists. "Make no mistake. I am not here to correct your mistakes, nor am I here to stop your quest for power. Pursue it freely, let it consume you. But I will not let you use her as an end to your goals." Before he could voice his thoughts for longer, the skeletons that had risen around him quickly began to approach. The boy's eyes flashed, a misty blue glow shining within them. In that instant, a hideous roar resounded from several paces behind him, where the dragon had been waiting. It leaned forward, supporting its weight on its two legs and holding its chest just above the ground. A stream of blue fire shot out from its maw, engulfing Cho, the skeletons, and the formation of red light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the height of his power, Akuji, formerly known as the human Allister, was equaled only by the very forces of nature. With the twitch of a finger, he raised corpses and commanded them. With a wave of a hand, he felled entire cities. Having grown resentful of the curse of human limitations, he spent the last several years of his human life seeking power. He grew to realize, however, that as long as there was a power greater than his, then his own will mattered little. Of course, there was one such force greater than any other. One that all bowed down to, regardless of creed, status, or wealth. One that stalked the hunters and prey alike, a mistress that even the most loyal of husbands could not resist, one whose kiss sealed ended all reigns forever. Death was the great power that Akuji feared most, desperately fleeing its effects with any means necessary.

Cho explained as much to the owl on his arm. "Akuji," he continued. "Akuji wishes more than anything to... I supposed in the simplest terms, to become a god. He has a lust for power, but not just any power will do. He wishes for all to fear him, as though if he had the whim to, he could eliminate the world and start anew. He wants them to pray and kneel to him for his kindness, as though no good fortune should pass without his permission. He wants those things for this entire world, and if there are other worlds, he wishes the same in those worlds too. But what sort of human could become a god? Sharing the same destiny as all other humans, no matter how great, to perish someday. With such a meager lifespan, how could he ever learn what is needed to become a god? Gain the power needed to be a god?"

"Naturally, the first step on the road to becoming a god was to learn to avoid human destiny. To escape death, to become immortal. To that end, Akuji, still the human Allister, tried to discover what it was that made an immortal and take it for his own. He knew immortality was possible, he was witnessing it firsthand from not just one, but two of his old companions. First, a small boy from a kingdom long missing from the maps and atlases. Second, a comely woman, who spent her days following plagues, studying and caring for its victims, without living with the fear of catching such diseases. Her name was Yveilia, the great healer."

"I suppose I was too illusive a target for Allister, so he conducted his experiments on Yveilia. I can not imagine the number of years he conducted his horrifying work. All I know was that when I finally learned of it all, and naturally put an end to it, Allister had grown to be quite gray. When I had seen what he had done to Yveilia for myself, I put an end to it. Rather, I tried to. You see, while Akuji was unable to accomplish immortality like my own, he managed to steal away his own means for survival. It's an imperfect method with many limitations, but it's his most powerful trait all the same. You see, his malicious magic allows him to transfer his being, his will, mind and soul, to another's body. I believed it to be a difficult act to perform, one that requires much energy and preparation to perform, and even still requires tremendous sacrifice to his progress. I've also noticed that with the passing of time, possibly a side effect of this ability, I detect less and less of Alister in the host and more of the malicious magic that represents Akuji. Lastly, it seems that with practice and study he has learned methods to further trivialize the process of inheriting new bodies."

Cho used his free hand to wipe away at a stray blond hair that had fallen into his face, which was contorted into a scowl. Astonishingly, the wrinkles on his forehead aged him significantly. "I have seen this magic before, turning humans into monsters. I think that diminishing the human spirit in the new body makes it easier for the host to jump to it, and impose its own will. My concern is how frequently I have begun to see this happen... Originally it would be decades between encounters between myself and Akuji... then the decades became fewer and fewer, and now... The last monster I destroyed before human eyes could see it was only seven years ago. And this time, I did not even sense Akuji's power, nor had I known about the monster beginning to form until now. It was foolish of me to assume the entirety of the burden, which I suppose is why I am telling you all of this, Olenna."

Back inside the cottage, Mec carefully felt the area around the wound on his shoulder. "Cho seemed to think he was able to remove it all... He even went so far as to stitch the wound closed. I wonder, though... could he have missed it? Could the material's effects have made it so that he would not be able to detect it?" He blanched at the thought of reversing the stitching to get another look. "We better ask him, I think." The mage then took a moment to look over Shallan, smiling a little. For a second, his eyes paused on the single pearl that dangled on a thin cord around her neck, the token he had presented her several towns ago. Assuming Shallan would question his stares, he laughed, lightheartedly. "You still have that old necklace, huh?"

During a lull in their conversation Mec returned to more serious matters. “We need to convince Godrich to go back to the Misfits,” he said definitively. “I know him and how he thinks. He’s convincing himself that it is his responsibility to protect Clair, even still. It’s too dangerous, and besides, what about the rest of the Misfits? The roads are dangerous, and no one knows the troupe’s route better than he does.” The thought that it might even be safer for Shallan to rejoin the troupe crossed his mind also, but Mec did not dare entertain the prospect. No, I couldn’t continue without her, he thought.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Shallan listened patiently as Mec talked through his ideas, outlining the arguments he planned on using to sway Olenna to their cause. She doubted things would be as easy as he made them sound, but that was why she had wanted to plan things out in advance, was it not? They still had a few more days to refine their approach, at the very least, and this would serve as a good starting point. Besides, there was a very real possibility that she was misjudging the archmage. Olenna’s early attempts to separate them had left her with a jaded view of the woman, despite everything else she had offered them, and Mec knew her better than Shallan did. Maybe she was mistaken, and Olenna would agree more easily than she expected. Under these circumstances, she wouldn’t mind being proven wrong.

When talk turned to Mec’s wounded shoulder good and proper, Shallan couldn’t help but purse her lips. She really didn’t like the idea of someone cutting Mec open again based on speculation alone. The odds of infection and the risk of permanent damage were both possibilities that made her incredibly uncomfortable…and yet, what choice did they have? The potential consequences were dire enough that prudence seemed like a luxury they couldn’t afford. Still…perhaps there was no point sweating over it before they’d asked Cho. Shallan trusted his judgement, if nothing else, so the idea that he’d have the final say over the matter helped soothe her fears a little.

Preoccupied with those thoughts, it took Shallan’s brain a few moments to catch up when Mec suddenly switched tracks, and brought up the pearl necklace that he’d bought for her. Her free hand came up to clutch the small pendant on instinct, as if checking to make sure that it was still in its usual place. “Of course I do” she responded, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Had Mec really thought she’d lose such a sentimentally precious gift so easily? She couldn’t fathom the idea, even with everything that had happened during their time apart. Frankly, she planned on wearing it a whole lot longer, if she had her way.

Their conversation shifted back towards more serious matters, then. Specifically, to the friend that Shallan had left behind to come here. The mere mention of Godrich seemed to make her feel a little uneasy, judging by the way she started shuffling in her seat. “I agree. Since we made it out of the city without getting caught, there isn’t really any risk of his presence implicating the rest of the troupe anymore. Tracking them down shouldn’t be too difficult either, given how much attention we…they…tend to attract. Catching up with them might be a little more of a struggle, but Godrich is competent enough. I’m sure he’ll manage.” Whether or not he’d agree to abandon Clair was another issue, of course. Another argument they might have to prepare for.

Now it was Shallan’s turn to lapse into silence for a moment. The knit of her brows suggested that she was choosing her next words carefully, and when she finally spoke, her voice was soft. Tentative. “I assume that everyone has noticed I’m missing by now. The innkeeper probably thinks I ran off to avoid paying for everything, and he knows Godrich and I were together. Hopefully I haven’t caused him too much trouble…and hopefully he doesn’t think I ran out on him for no reason.” Shallan turned her head away then, her gaze settling on the wooden floor not far from their seat. “I should really go back and sort everything out, but I don’t think I can make that walk again. Maybe we’ll have to ask Cho if his animals can deliver a letter or something.” It wasn’t an ideal solution, and Shallan was beginning to feel a little bad for relying on their host so much, but it was the best she had right now.

~~~

Olenna had always been proud of her keen mind, her ingenuity. Of the creative ways she leveraged her considerable power. Processing the sheer amount of knowledge that her web of informants gathered, coming up with solutions, and coordinating responses that involved so many moving parts were all things she did for the safety of her followers, but success always brought her a sense of personal satisfaction, too. And yet, despite her fierce intellect, she had trouble wrapping her brain around some parts of Cho’s story. The entire thing sounded like a tale straight out of mythology. An ancient story about a mage who sought to thwart death itself, only to give up his humanity in the process. One filled with practitioners more powerful and audacious than any alive today, herself included.

And to think that Cho was one of them…a pseudo-immortal archmage that had spent a small eternity chasing his goal. Maybe she needed to be more careful with her talons after all.

In the silence that followed Cho’s warning, Olenna continued to wrestle with all of this new information for a long moment. The continued absence of her doll meant that it was still impossible for her to respond verbally, but in that moment, the cabal leader wasn’t sure it mattered. Her mind was flooded with so many questions that Olenna wasn’t sure where she would begin, even if she could speak. Perhaps it was better that she took some time to digest all this before she tried anyway.

If Cho really spoke truth – and Olenna believed he did – then she couldn’t help but wonder if this ‘Akuji’ couldn’t be swayed to her cause. Their assistance with freeing the mages from their oppression in exchange for…her help with his research, perhaps? She was quick to dismiss the idea. Her companion’s warning still weighed heavily on her mind, and someone that unstable simply couldn’t be trusted, no matter how much she stood to gain. In fact…if this Akuji really was deteriorating, then wouldn’t the problem resolve itself eventually? But could they really afford to wait, when he was wreaking such havoc in the meantime? Even if she decided to help, did she really have the strength to challenge such a powerful figure? What about her entire cabal?

The only thing she was certain of was how badly Yveilia must have suffered at his hands, and the thought was enough to make her chest ache. Both for Yveilia herself, and for poor Cho.

Olenna definitely needed time to think. Time to mull all these questions over. And regardless of what conclusions she drew, it was more clear than ever that she needed to get a doll here immediately, so that she could discuss the matter with Cho properly. In fact, she planned on getting started immediately. Before she left, though, Olenna had one thing left to do.

At her silent urging, the owl leaned in close, and nuzzled against Cho’s cheek gently for a moment. It was the only way she could think of to show her appreciation, and it was perhaps the most physically affectionate she’d been with anyone in a long time. After she was done, the owl would hoot once, before spreading its wings. It finally released Cho’s arm and took to the skies, swooping up into the branches of a nearby tree. The gesture was a symbolic one. While the owl would remain there, it was her way of showing that she herself was leaving, sending her consciousness elsewhere. She trusted that Cho would understand the importance of the vague gesture. Trusted that he’d understand just how seriously she was taking the matter, if she was running off immediately, and maybe find a shred of comfort within.

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Once the owl took to the air, Cho lowered his arm, which had grown tired and achy from being held up for so long. His head lowered slightly, nodding as if to show that he understood Olenna's message. He placed his hands on either side of himself, anchoring himself on the edge of the tree stump. It had been a long time since he could impart so much of his troubles to a trustworthy confidant, but he felt that he could trust Olenna. Like others before her, she was extraordinary. Maybe extraordinary enough that Cho would consider confiding in her with his other troubles, someday.

Eventually, he stood, raising his arm in front of him. Small stains of blood dotted his arms, marking where the owl's talons had pricked into his delicate skin. There were no holes, scabs, or wounds of any kind to hint at the origins of the stains. Satisfied with his inspection, Cho allowed his arm to drop down to his side and enthusiastically skipped through the grass and clovers towards the cottage.

A small, hollow knock sounded through the wooden door of the hut, alerting Shallan and Mec of Cho's return. When the small blond boy emerged, he quietly studied the room before flashing a large, toothy smile. Without a sound, he hurried towards the hearth and used the nearby poker to stab at the logs. Just as silently, he began adding wood from a nearby pile to the flame. The logs were cut with strange, jagged edges, uncharacteristic of any wood that would have been chopped with a proper axe.

Mec cleared his throat, awkwardly, and shifted in his seat on the edge of the bed. "So what is this place, Cho? Whose cottage is this?"

Cho chuckled as he placed the last block of wood into the fire, positioning his small hands a little bit too close to the flames. "I'm not sure who he was, exactly," he replied, watching the flames intently. After a long pause, he blinked, turning his head abruptly towards Mec and Shallan. "Oh, I mean, there was someone who lived here. I paid him for the cottage, and quite handsomely. Maybe he decided to move back to town to buy a more accommodating place to live? Or drinking the money away, I guess."

Some time had passed while the three caught up. Cho feigned ignorance to Shallan's and Mec's conversation before, and allowed them to catch him up on the details they were willing to disclose directly to him. Agreeing that it was much to late and that neither Shallan or Mec were in any condition to travel or be left alone in the middle of the woods, Cho summoned a pale-white pigeon to deliver a letter to Godrich. The letter assured that Shallan was safe, that she apologized for any confusion or frustration she may have caused with her sudden disappearance, and that she was able to locate their mutual acquaintance. It also explained that the pigeon would stay with Godrich to relay any written or verbal communication back to Shallan and Mec.

Cho strongly desired to learn more about how Mec's ability was able to stave off the curse for as long as it had. In fact, he had many questions about Mec and Shallan's adventures since they had last been together, and he was also interested in Clair, the person that Akuji had directed his curse towards. However, he repressed those desires for the time being. It was clear in the travelers' faces that they were exhausted. Keeping them up with their troubles would do no good. "You both should rest," he finally said, standing up from where he had been sitting on the floor. "My bird has reached Godrich, so you can be assured that he knows you both are safe."

The following morning, with a layer of dew still covering the greenery of the woods, a pale-white pigeon gently soared through the branches before finally landing on the tree stump outside of the cottage. Soon afterwards, Cho emerged from the cottage, gently closing the door behind him. He made his way over to the tree stump, where he sat patiently.

Only moments had passed when a strong-bodied man emerged from the trees. His hair was red and curly. Specs of black dye that had not been completely washed out remained tangled within the curls. Godrich hesitated upon seeing who appeared to be a young child waiting for him in the middle of the woods. "Um, excuse me. Are you...? I'm looking for, um..."

Cho paid little mind, staring at the white bird perched on his finger with childlike interest. He turned his hand to allow himself to inspect the bird from just about every angle, touching his nose to the silent and seemingly patient animal. "Mec and Shallan are still asleep," he mused quietly. "You shouldn't wake them." After another long moment of inspecting the bird, he grew bored. With a shake of his wrist, the animal vanished in a small puff of white mist, which sunk to the ground before dispersing. "Oh! Would you like some cake?"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Shallan didn’t so much as stir until late the next morning. Not a huge surprise, given how draining the past few days had been. Both physically and emotionally.

She woke slowly at first. A lazy hand reluctantly wiped the grit from her eyes, and she strongly considered just rolling over and going back to sleep for another couple of hours. Instead, Shallan lifted her head from her pillow, and spent a moment taking in her surroundings. Her gaze settled on Mec’s familiar form first, sleeping soundly beside her. The expression on his face was so peaceful, Shallan couldn’t help but smile at the sight. It made her want to reach out and stroke his hair, to tousle it gently. The last thing that she wanted was to wake him, though, so she squashed the urge.

When Shallan finally mustered up the strength to look away, she pushed herself up into a sitting position, before casting her attention around the cabin’s interior. The place might have been furnished simply, but it had an incredibly cosy feel. She couldn’t help but admire the way the morning sun snuck in, slipping through a gap in the drapes to suffuse the entire space with gentle warmth. This was the exact sort of home she’d dreamed of having, once upon a time. Back when she’d still lived with her mother, and had expected nothing more out of life than a love marriage and a home to call her own. When the idea of traveling and performing had been a distant dream, a fantasy beyond her reach, and nothing more.

Her tired brain couldn’t remember where they were or how they had gotten here. Not yet. Even so, she struggled to imagine that they were in any danger. Not when everything looked so picturesque.

Then her brain finally kicked into gear, and everything came rushing back at once. The memories hit her like a carriage, settled on her shoulders like an invisible weight. And yet, everything that had happened to them, and the giant task that lay ahead, failed to spoil this one perfect moment.

A part of her still wanted to go back to her original plan, and make full use of Cho’s kindness, but Shallan reluctantly decided against it. Stifling a yawn, she peeled back the covers, and slowly climbed to her feet. She took a brief moment to stretch, and a soft groan slipped from her lips as the muscles along her back and neck tightened, and then loosened again, bringing blessed relief. Her stomach was rumbling loud enough to be audible, and her gaze drifted towards the kitchen. Shallan briefly considered raiding the cabin for supplies, considered trying to cook breakfast for everyone, but she quickly decided against that, too. Such an endeavor would undoubtedly be noisy, and the last thing she wanted was to disturb Me. He needed the sleep even more than she did, with that injury. Besides, knowing Cho, he probably had something planned for them already.

Speaking of…where was Cho? If he wasn’t here, then he had to be outside, probably to avoid disturbing them again. With that in mind, Shallan cast one last glance at Mec, before tiptoeing towards the front door. She reached for the handle, and lifted the latch slowly. Eased the slab of carved wood open, and found herself relieved when it failed to emit more than the tiniest squeak. As soon as the gap was wide enough, she sucked in a breath and squeezed through it, before gently pulling the door closed behind her. Only then did she turn around, and take in the clearing around the cabin.

Squinting a little as her eyes adjusted to the light, Shallan took in the sight before her, and promptly froze. The view that greeted her was so unexpected, so absurd, that it took her a few seconds to comprehend it. Cho and Godrich, sitting together, eating cake. She remembered asking Cho to reach out to him last night, of course, but she hadn’t actually expected him to be here. Not so soon, anyway. Shallan stared at them both in silence for a long moment, shock written all over her face, before she finally caught up with herself. A soft laugh bubbled out of her, before quickly growing into a big one. It took her a moment to remember Mec, sleeping soundly in the cabin behind her, and get herself back under control.

Shallan stepped away from the cabin then, and began walking towards the unlikely pair. She set a casual pace for herself, eyes still glittering with the lingering remnants of her amusement. “Well now. Can’t say I expected you to join us quite this soon, Godrich.” She hesitated briefly, and her expression softened a little. “I know it’s only been a day, but it’s good to see you again. I hope I didn’t worry you too much, running off like that, but…well, you know.”

When she finally reached the tree stump, Shallan helped herself to a seat. She eased herself down onto the ground and crossed her legs, before leaning back against it, using the tree’s remains as a makeshift backrest. The scratchy, uneven surface didn’t make for the most comfortable chair, but it was certainly better than nothing. As soon as she was settled, Shallan tipped her head back, so that she was looking up at Cho, and promptly found herself suppressing the urge to make a dumb joke about how he’d gotten taller recently. “I was thinking about cooking breakfast for everyone, but it looks like you’ve already got us covered. I do hope there’s enough left for you to spare another slice.”

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Godrich straightened himself when Shallan approached, and he observed her silently. "I was worried, actually," he said calmly. "Enough so that when I received the note, I still had to come make sure myself. But, you seem to be well, so I'm glad." He watched as Shallan settled against the tree stump the young boy, who had introduced himself as Cho earlier, sat upon. Godrich adjusted his position on the grass and clovers he sat upon, reminded of how awkward and out of place he felt amongst this group. This other troupe that Mec and Shallan had been so acquainted with.

"I always make sure to have plenty for everyone!" Cho exclaimed with enthusiasm. Unlike the previous night's conversation with Olenna, or even the conversation with Shallan and Mec rehashing their travels, Cho's demeanor had been childlike. It better suited his appearance than it did his age, knowledge, and experience. Likewise, it lent to a more casual and probably enjoyable conversation. "In fact, I was saving the best piece for you, princess." Cho turned his little frame to reach for the spongey and mildly sweetened cake behind him. He readied a piece, and handed it to Shallan promptly. Of course, he did not explain what made this particular slice the "best" the entire confection had to offer, if there was any reason at all.

"I was still curious about your travels, so Godrich has been filling me in on some of the details I did not catch yesterday. These 'Misfits' sound like an impressive bunch. It sounds like you were equally impressive yourself, princess." He smiled a cheerful smile, one that only such a youthful face could produce. It was the least he could do, understanding the bittersweet pain that might accompany such talk.

"She was a great addition," Godrich agreed. "She was becoming quite popular within the group, and Mec had proven to be quite useful also. I would never have imagined that they were involved in... this." He trailed off slightly, unsure of how to broach the topic.

"It's okay to be worried or scared," Cho said, flatly, in his boyishly enchanting voice. "To most people, magic is not freely discussed. Therefore, not many understand it." He waved his hand, the same one that the white pigeon had perched upon earlier, and willed another bird into existence. It was slightly larger than the pigeon, a brilliantly white dove. It fluttered its wings and hopped towards Godrich, gracefully landing on his knee.

"That is amazing," Godrich sighed, observing the dove cautiously. Eventually, he lent out a finger to lightly pet the small avian's head.

Cho smiled in satisfaction at Godrich's awe-stricken reaction. In fact, it reminded him of that rabbit that he had summoned for Shallan when they had first met.

Some time later, Mec awoke. The soft light of the sun through the cabin's curtains incited his body and mind, signaling that it was time to move again. He laid still for a few moments, gathering his thoughts. Shallan was here, wasn't she? He almost wrote off their meeting as a dream, had he not faintly smelled the familiar scent of her hair coming from the pillow next to him. She and Cho were around somewhere, then.

Using his opposite hand, Mec supported his injured shoulder as he sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. It was successful in minimizing the discomfort he felt. Like Cho had instructed him before, he double checked that he could feel all of his appendages. He wiggled his fingers and toes, rotated his wrists and ankles, and turned his head from side to side. All seemed to be in order... except... He squeezed his eyes closed, and focused hard on trying to detect the presence of the Anima, the golden webs that connected everything around him. There was nothing.

Eventually, Mec emerged from the cottage. Out in the yard, he saw Shallan, Cho, and Godrich, huddled together. After stopping by a small well pump to wet his hands and face, and swallow a few handfuls of water, he marched over to join them. "Hello, stranger," he said to Godrich, before settling down in the grass beside him. He noticed his companion eying his injuries, and shook his head. "It will heal. Will hurt like hell until then, though." He reached out to take a piece of cake, which Cho could not help but promptly offer him.

After some more chitchat and Mec had a chance to finish his piece of cake, there was a lull in the conversation. Mec took advantage of the silence to move them towards their goals. "I say its time we discuss our plans," he said, directing the statement particularly towards Cho and Shallan. There was also an advantage to Godrich's presence, as he and Shallan could have the difficult conversation they had planned for him soon. However, it would be easier to do so once the Misfits' guardian and fatherly figure could trust that he could trust the cabal with Clair's survival.

"Not quite," Cho responded. "Before making any real decisions, we'll need your boss here. Furthermore, stress has been linked to reduced rates of physical recovery." He made his last point matter-of-factly, like a professor at one of the kingdom's universities, which everyone suspected he had never attended, even if it was difficult to prove.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Shallan grinned eagerly at Cho’s answer, and held both of her hands out in anticipation of the treat he had promised. The accepted the slice of plated cake enthusiastically, and shoved the first bite into her mouth at record speed. Sweetness blossomed on her tongue, deliciously decadent without being overpowering. Even the consistency of the batter seemed perfect, to Shallan’s inexperienced tastebuds. She let out a soft sigh of contentment, and her shoulders slumped slightly. These sorts of treats were among the things that she’d willingly given up when she’d made the decision to free Mec from his prison cell, and had joined him on the road. The opportunity to indulge, here and now, delighted her more than a simple slice of cake could ever really account for, no matter how well made it was.

Thankfully, she had the foresight to slow down a little after that. Shallan took her time between bites, and made sure to savour every mouthful, while Cho and Mec caught her up on their discussion. The unexpected praise that they heaped upon her was enough to make Shallan’s cheeks burn, and she dipped her head slightly in embarrassment. She didn’t waste her breath trying to downplay her own accomplishments, though – a subtle sign of how her time with the troupe had managed to boost her confidence. If nothing else, such honeyed words certainly helped endear both of them to her, despite being such obvious flattery.

When Cho summoned up one of his ethereal animals as a demonstration, Shallan’s eyes widened. Just like the mage himself, she found herself recalling their first meeting, when he’d conjured up a bunny for the express purpose of comforting her. Even now, she remembered vividly just how soft its fur had been beneath her fingers. She might’ve said as much, if not for the cake currently keeping her occupied. Might have asked, if she didn’t already feel bad about how much they were currently relying upon him.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Mec emerged from the cabin, finally awake of his own accord. The sight of him reminded Shallan of the weight she’d carried the past week, when she thought him dead. Of how relieved she’d been when she’d learned the truth. She greeted her oldest friend with a warm smile, but otherwise remained where she was, perfectly content for the time being. When Cho blatantly pointed out the realities of Mec’s injury, Shallan huffed a laugh. At least she had one ally she could rely on to help keep him from running off too early. With nothing of real value to add in that precise moment, she took the opportunity to finish off the last few bites of her cake, before setting the plate and spoon down on the grass by her feet with a gentle clatter.

Now that her stomach had finally ceased its rumbling, Shallan finally turned her full attention to the discussion that was currently in progress. Again, she found that she agreed with Cho. Perfectly happy to wait a little before delving into matters of business, she turned her attention to Godrich, and asked him a casual question about how things had gone last night; an obvious ploy to shepherd the conversation back towards more casual territory. A place it would hopefully stay until Olenna arrived, whenever that might be.

The cabal’s leader didn’t make her appearance for another hour or so. Her arrival was heralded by the beating of wings and the familiar hooting of an owl, before a humanoid figure became visible through the trees. The same doll that had helped defend Mec from the two hunters marched towards them, closing the distance at a steady pace. And yet, there was something a little off about how the doll moved today. A subtle difference that only Mec or Cho might notice. It’s movements were efficient, mechanical. It had lost some of the ethereal grace, the human mannerisms, that normally permeated every gesture. As if the doll were damaged in unseen ways, or the person manipulating it hadn’t slept the previous night. Perhaps both.

When the doll finally reached their little group, it finally came to a halt, and raised one of its arms. The owl swooped down to land upon it immediately, gaze already sweeping over their gathering. Olenna’s attention lingered on Godrich the longest, as if she were sizing up this unknown human variable. After a moment, it flickered back towards Cho again. While she disliked exposing them all like this, she trusted the ancient child. If nothing else, he likely had context that she lacked. If he were comfortable with this stranger’s presence, then she wouldn’t waste her breath objecting.

“What a quaint little gathering this is.” Olenna spoke quietly, her voice tinged with a hint of amusement that was noticeably absent just a few moments later, when she continued. “A great deal has happened over the past few days. I’m glad that all of you are here, alive, after everything that transpired.” A strange, rare moment of sincerity that the archmage didn’t spend any time dwelling on, before pushing ahead to the real reason she was here.

“These events have brought some troubling new information to light.” It was back to business now, just like that. Something all of them were probably expecting, except for the newcomer. Only Cho would know what information she was referring to, and Olenna intended to keep it that way. Privacy was an important part of her operation, after all, and she’d be a poor spymaster if she outed her informants freely. She’d tell the rest of the group only what they needed to know, and if Cho wanted to share more, that was his decision to make. Something she trusted the ancient child to realise quickly, if he didn’t know it already. “As such, I think we need to sit down and reassess some of our current plans.”

Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4849505152 ... LastLast