Thread: Muggle Technology discussion thread.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

Default Muggle Technology discussion thread.

SO

As those familiar with the source material will be aware, Muggle technology does not function in areas with a high concentration of magic, such as Diagon Alley, Hogwarts, St. Mungo's and so on.

As I stated in the About thread, The Wizarding World doesn't share the Muggle lust for progress, and so things have stayed relatively the same for them - after all, even in the original series, they still use quill and parchment, rather than pen and paper.

However, 100 years have passed since the original story, and Muggle technology has undoubtedly advanced. This thread is for us all to discuss exactly how far we think that's gone.

So, what are people's thoughts on this?

Thoughts so far:
    • Muggles have begun to terraform and colonize other planets. One Wizarding family in particular has had a hand in this, but in general, Wizards are largely content to remain on Earth. Months of space travel amongst Muggles, being unable to use their magic does not appeal to most.
    • Robotics are a regular part of Muggle life. Household robots are common, as well as more advanced military and government robotics.
    • Genetic manipulation and cybernetics are increasingly popular amongst the Muggle elite.

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Click here daily to vote for RPA!

The Big Meme
    Bedford, Bedfordshire (Uni) / Wickford, Essex
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy; Science Fiction; Superheroes; Coming-of-Age; Supernatural Drama.
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I think realistically, Muggles would have begun colonizing Luna, Mars and possibly Ceres. Clean energy would have been found, weapons technology would have progressed beyond its original capabilities. Medical procedures would have progressed but also have been privatised most likely due to an increasing capitalist climate. Over-Population would have been a big problem but that would be being resolved with moves to make space-travel and colony-founding even cheaper thanks to re-usable rockets and the fact that setting off from the moon would take less fuel than on Earth due to a lack of need to contend with air-drag or gravity.

All in all, I think that Muggles would be pretty far advanced than from today, I mean if you think about how far we've come from the 1900s! This time 100 years ago we were in the middle of the Great War x.x

PREACH FORGIVE ME PLEASE I BEG OF YOU!
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I also think Robotics would be a huge ordeal. Cybernetics as well. The trans humanism movement and genetic manipulation would already be off the ground and a part of human life even if only among the elite. The line between muggle and magic capabilities should be blurring if not hard to tell - the only difference being how muggles achieve the same feats whereas the wizards use magic.

The moon probably has no magical community. Mars is just starting with the Liakos but I'm guessing the wizards in general wanted to keep to Earth, less chance of exposure and easier to maintain with the population of people they have - instead of spreading around.
    Thank you MayhemsCurse <3

Spoiler: Memorable Quotes 

Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I think wizards in general just wouldn't have any interest in space. So, yeah, I agree they wouldn't be focused on Mars or the moon. They'd be focused on earth.

I can almost see a separation starting to form. Muggles moving to other planets, while wizards stay back.

What is an Angel, without her Wings?

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

@HaelKatrin; some Wizards do, read Mink's characters' history.

I'll update the first post with info as we establish it.

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Click here daily to vote for RPA!

Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Oh, I do acknowledge some will (I loved her character!) I'm just saying, a majority won't. I think it would become a point where most of earth is just wizards, because they didn't leave to other planets like the muggles did! I think it would make things interesting.

What is an Angel, without her Wings?