Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Uh Time for Clyde to Over Analyze a Kids Movie - Live Action Lion King

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Default It's Uh Time for Clyde to Over Analyze a Kids Movie - Live Action Lion King

So, from what I hear from the grapevine is that they want to make Simba gay. I am not sure I like this decision. Not because he's gay. But because I think they should have made Scar gay.

Look I was the 5 year old Autistic kid who really really liked animals and knew lions lived in a pride. And that they shared territory with one another and shared females. The story of Hamlet, and I know its suppose to be Hamlet. Just didn't work for me as a kid because it was completely inaccurate and misrepresents lions.

Do you know how many people I have met in real life who actually don't believe that male lions form coalition?

Beyond the fact that it be nice to see a different portrayal of Scar. If we're giving villains more and more depth to them. And also if the nature of villains has been changing just look at the recent Disney villains. Then Scar could do with a modern update.

Also also also, Africa has flooding season and dry season. We only see part of the film where Mufasa was reigning during the flood season. We don't know what the Lion's life was like when Mufasa was head of the pride and had to rule during the dry season.

Back to the main topic about making Scar gay. I mean he was already pretty flamboyant tbh. And so what if in this modern take Scar is gay and Mufasa [all though they can't outright say this] portrays his brother as an evil slimeball. But the reality is that Scar was kicked out because Mufasa didn't want a gay brother.

Dark. But fucking awesome.

Anyhoo. Yeah that's Clyde over analyzing a kids film, since I was a kid, since I turned to an adult. Lion King has never been my favorite.

Month the of Member November
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cynic View Post
    So, from what I hear from the grapevine is that they want to make Simba gay.
    I can't really believe this rumour is actually true. If they made Simba gay it would for one thing take away the relationship with Nala, unless they replace Nala with another male in which case you lose your one and only prominent female character and basically the whole thing would just alienate the existing fanbase who want to see a live-action version of the same story with the same set of characters. Essentially it sounds like fake news to me.

~

Regarding the idea of making Scar gay I think that would be problematic too since Disney has never had an openly gay character in any of it's childrens films until Le Foy in the new Beauty & the Beast who apparently is just a minor part so I think to have their first main gay character and only major gay character in the film be evil would be something of an issue - unless you make it so Scar is nice not evil but then you basically lose most your existing story so again it would defeat the purpose.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazywolf View Post
    I can't really believe this rumour is actually true. If they made Simba gay it would for one thing take away the relationship with Nala, unless they replace Nala with another male in which case you lose your one and only prominent female character and basically the whole thing would just alienate the existing fanbase who want to see a live-action version of the same story with the same set of characters. Essentially it sounds like fake news to me.

~

Regarding the idea of making Scar gay I think that would be problematic too since Disney has never had an openly gay character in any of it's childrens films until Le Foy in the new Beauty & the Beast who apparently is just a minor part so I think to have their first main gay character and only major gay character in the film be evil would be something of an issue - unless you make it so Scar is nice not evil but then you basically lose most your existing story so again it would defeat the purpose.
    Pfff they did with Maleficient and gave her a sympathetic backstory now.

So they could do it with scar.

Mufasa inability to accept him. Hurt him and turned him to revenge.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cynic View Post
    Pfff they did with Maleficient and gave her a sympathetic backstory now.

So they could do it with scar.

Mufasa inability to accept him. Hurt him and turned him to revenge.
    they made Maleficient gay?

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

they made Maleficient gay?
    No they made her a sympathetic villain

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Disney has never had an openly gay character in any of it's childrens films until Le Foy in the new Beauty & the Beast

Spoiler: Things I like 

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cfavano View Post
    Ah I didn't know about that one. Nonetheless though I still stand by my main point, I think that if you are making a movie for kids and the only significant gay character in your whole movie is the main villain it could very easily create a negative message.

2Spooky4U
    Mostly Fantasy and Parody, and some Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

I'm not too keen on just changing an existing character's sexuality on a whim. This is like Sulu all over again (although Sulu never had a confirmed sexuality on the show). I'd much rather they create an entirely new character that's gay if they really want to be inclusive. I agree with CrazyWolf though, this seems like a very large leap for Disney to go.

On Scar, he definitely wasn't gay in the original. Actually there's a deleted scene where Scar tries to get Nala to be his "queen" and basically almost rapes her. You can see why they took it out xD

As long as Jeremy Irons still voices Scar I'm down. He is just so deliciously diabolical.

and dreadfully distinct/against the dark a tall white fountain played

Art Thread
    |Ask me stuff|My Characters

Spoiler: Quotes, sets, gamertags, things to click on 

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Come on that fabulous hair flip he does during his song.

Scar was magnificent.

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I can't stand the Maleficent movie. Her very name means "evil" so it just... doesn't make sense to even try to make her sympathetic.

Anyway... I'm against the idea of making Simba gay simply because... there's really no reason for it. Stick to the original story, don't change a dang thing... it's a good story, so don't fix what ain't broke.

I'm not sure it's possible to over-analyze kids movies because well... they're what indoctrinate the youth of today into certain beliefs. Like it or not, Disney princesses are now shining examples of feminism, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. Disney has gotten very political in their movies, in this last decade, and the company is definitely not the Disney of our youth.

Some would say it's a good direction, others would disagree. But that's a different sort of debate entirely. What is evident is that Disney's current direction is incredibly liberal, for certain. So a lot of conservatives I know are refusing to watch anything produced by Disney, while liberals absolutely love it.

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast