Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] The Dimension Door (Holey & Ashen) IC

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

It was just like Kyu to spend so much time stressing and planning ahead. The scribe was far more suited to being a wizard than Lyonel himself was... if only the servant had any sort of magical affinity to begin with, he would already be a wizard. Well, perhaps there were ways that he could acquire a magical affinity on their quests, as it would be useful to have a true wizard rather than a hybrid arcane knight like himself.

"Much of the fun is in just showing up at the inn and requesting a room," the knight said with a chuckle. "But I'll let you handle things as you see fit... caution suits you." Lyonel himself tended to throw caution to the wind in the name of adventure, so a dragon would be a perfect opponent to test his skills. Granted, usually it took an entire part of experienced adventurers... but few of those parties had a genuine Arcane Knight in them.

Allowing Kyu to handle most everything, Lyonel didn't do a whole lot for the next day. When it came time to depart, he came down to find Kyu dressed in clothes that were bound to get dirtied and ruined on a quest, but spoke nothing of it. He himself wore his armor, conjured through use of his Foundry circuit the same way he conjured forth his weapons in combat. An arming sword hung at his side but it was much more for decorative purposes as his real weapons were magical in nature.

"We've spent several years doing small tasks," he remarked, "It's time to put away our practice swords and face a real quest! I'd ask if you're ready, but I already know you've more than overprepared," he remarked. Heading for the main gate leading out of the castle, he turned to address his friend. "Shall we, then?"

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

The Ashen One
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Kyu looked over his knight when he saw him. Lyonell was dressed in his dark armor this time. Kyu had been tasked with cleaning it once or twice, and since he couldn't make out the minute details now, he relied on his memory to tell him how reliable such armor would be. It had enough coverage for both physical and magic attacks, and would serve him well on their journey. True the armor was a bit heavy, but Lyonell could handle it, and for when he couldn't, Kyu was glad to shoulder the weight.

They were finally ready to go. Kyu looked up at the path ahead of them. This was the type of adventure they had trained for, and finally they were ready. Lyonell was right, they had spent years doing smaller things. Maybe it was finally time for Lyonell's grand adventure, and Kyu would support him every step of the way. He didn't believe he deserved any credit, he was just a scribe after all, but Lyonell... He would make sure his knight made the most of this.

Kyu nodded towards Lyonell, not removing his eyes from the blurry road. "I have prepared two stallions for us," he said, then broke his gaze to look towards the stables. "Ludwig and Tyrell are their names, if I remember correctly. They are noble steeds, and they should allow us passage swiftly. Their saddlebags have been packed and set, and they are all ready." He nodded. "Ah, yes. Let us... Let us be on our way, then."

The two men quickly gathered their horses, and Kyu checked the saddlebags for maybe the fifth time that morning. After ensuring Lyonell mounted his horse, Kyu mounted his own, and they started off. A million thoughts were running through the scribe's mind: What would they find on this journey? Would they be alright? Would they really fight a dragon? The scribe shook his head. They would find out in due time. He looked over at Lyonell, who was now at a distance and thus even blurrier. "Are you afraid, sir?" he asked. "Knowing you, you must be quite excited. I admit, I am curious about the things we will stumble upon."
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Though there were many things that an Arcane Knight could do with magic, relying on it too heavily was somewhat of a crutch. Though Lyonell knew a spell that could conjure a phantasmal steed, it could only summon one such horse, meaning Kyu would be forced to find a different mount either way. By simply allowing the servant to procure two living horses, it gave him something to do and also made it so that there wouldn't be a pacing difference between the two of them.

"Well done," he said to the scribe, giving him a pat on the back before climbing onto one of the horses. "I trust you've made all the necessary preparations... I could always rely on you for such things. Let us be off, then." Once the servant was properly mounted on his horse, Lyonell began to head off in the direction indicated on the map. He had memorized most of the details, though he still kept the map on hand, just in case.

Chuckling somewhat, Lyonell shrugged. "Anxious, perhaps," he remarked. "But a knight isn't so easily feared. We don't yet have anything even remotely dangerous to worry about... perhaps there's danger ahead of us, but I doubt we'll face anything more difficult than some of those arena matched I used for training." The Arena in the Imperial City provided many opportunities for training against a wide variety of opponents, and Lyonell was an A rank gladiator by the time he graduated.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Those arena matches had always made Kyu anxious. To watch his knight fight against many a foe, so many so much larger than him, and to not be able to make out the details of either fighter as they hurled axe or magic or sword at each other. But Lyonell could handle himself, and though Kyu didn't like to admit that often, he knew it to be true.

"You are correct," he said as they rode. "There is little danger around here. I imagine the real danger will begin when we pass a couple of towns, or if we wander past sun fall. I do not recommend this, sire, for the horses will be weary, and it is even harder for me to see in the dark. It will be a while before we come across anything, though. We can relax for now." He looked to Lyonell. How would he be able to alleviate some of that anxiety? He shook his head. "There is no arena in the next town. However, I believe there is one in a trading town a bit further. Going here would only delay our journey by... a few hours, I would think. We could make such a stop if you would wish."

The scribe himself was filled with all sorts of anxiety. He hated being out on the field like this. He was nearsighted and hard of hearing; how useful could he be to anyone? Sure he could wield a sword just fine and he could offer advice until Lyonell's ears bled, but when it came to real danger... Kyu wondered if he would ever not be self-conscious about such things. He had been born both blind and deaf, so he was thankful for the flawed senses he got now, but he still could not help but wish they were a little better.

~Recruitment Thread~

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Lyonell listened to the words of his servant, giving an occasional nod of both understanding and acknowledgment of his words. "You speak words of wisdom," he said simply. Despite his impulsive nature, it was true that there was not enough need for haste so as to ride the horses too heavily. He thought more about what Kyu said, about an arena located in a trading town a couple villages down the road.

"Most of our estate finances are going towards supporting the old man's military campaign," he remarked. "While we could normally afford such an adventure without difficulty... it would probably be best if we try to earn our own way. Let's win some money at the arena, so that we can pay for the cost of continuing our quest."

Though Kyu was too nearsighted to use any ranged weaponry, Lyonel never made an attempt to deny the scribe's skill with a sword. It wasn't technically customary to allow a mere servant to use the weapon of a nobleman, so in order to maintain his cover... "Oh, and if anyone asks... from now on, you're my man at arms," he said with a nod to Kyu. Being a man of arms justified not only arming him with a sword, but allowing him his own set of armor for the coming fights.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Kyu hadn't thought of the money they could earn at the arena, and while the danger remained, Lyonell was right. "Earning our own supports sounds like a good idea to give Father some comfort in maintaining his own finances. Forgive me for not considering them sooner, sire. I have not been privy to the house's financial state as of late. Yes, I am sure we will earn plenty in this village. Excellent thinking. This is why you are the esteemed knight you are now."

Lyonell's tone grew serious, and he told him that Kyu would now be his man-at-arms. Kyu tried to study Lyonell's face and determine why the sudden change. He then looked to himself, his steed and his armor, his weaponry and convoy. "Ah," he said. "You wish to evade those who would think our relationship unorthodox. Yes, sire, it shall be so." They had done similar things while still at school. The teachers and classmates had grown used to the pair of them, but for certain newcomers, like visitors and challengers, they had had to play equals. Kyu had never been good at it, too used to Lyonell being his superior, but he had never objected to playing the role.

They continued their journey for a while, stopping only when they found a lake and let their horses drink. Then they were off again, and in no time they had reached the first town. Kyu looked over the map he'd brought and scanned it. "Right, we are moving along schedule. Since we are going to the arena town, it shall be... this way, a couple hours by horse, I should think. If we leave soon, we will arrive before sundown. The better-paying competitors are usually after sundown, no? Let our visit here be brief."
    Last edited by Ashen; 06-08-2017 at 11:33 PM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

While it was sort of Kyu's job to praise him, Lyonel tried not to take it to heart. He merely shrugged in reply to the servant's words. "You're not the house steward, so of course you needn't be too worried about the state of the fief," he remarked. While he could probably manage the money to pay for the finances, it was usually better to re-invest in building up the land, so that it would produce higher revenue in the future.

While a man at arms was hardly the equal of a knight, they were still permitted to carry armor and weapons, and fight in battle alongside their knight. Kyu was hardly an ordinary servant, anyway, so he really belonged in a higher role than the one he was content to take. "Glad to hear it," he remarked with a nod. He went ahead and followed the servants directions, headed towards the trading town. Of course, he was familiar with the landscape, though there were a few more villages and towns now than there had been when he had left the area for school.

"If we announce that an Arcane Knight shall be participating in the arena in the evening," he remarked, "We'll attract a rather sizable audience, just for that. Not many of us around, after all." Thinking for a moment, he realized that while people would be eager to see him fight... they wouldn't be foolish enough to bet against him in a series of matches that he was likely to win. "However... I'm not going to be the one making money. You are. You see... there will no doubt be several matches before the main event. If we bet on your victory, and you win... it will give us quite a bit more than if we bet on me, as the odds will be more favorable in your match. Of course, we'll also get victory rewards, as well."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Kyu's grip on his horse's reigns tightened. "You wish for me to participate in the fighting?" He turned away, thoughts flying in his mind. Lyonell knew how he didn't particularly enjoy fighting. He always felt disadvantaged due to his poor senses. Kyu had seen blind fighters using sound to best their enemies, and he'd seen deaf fighters using sight, but someone who was borderline in both? While it was true the servant could normally manage just fine, and had passed combat courses at the academy, he was still unsure of his own abilities.

"If you deem it so, sir." He looked up at Lyonell again. "You have fine thinking. Yes, my odds will be much worse, as I am only a scribe by title. If you truly trust that I can win, I would be happy to double or triple our winnings. I will do my best in the arena." His fingers went to his hilt at his belt, at his trusted sword. Kyu knew the design of his sword by heart now, and he knew how to wield it better than anyone. If he could just use it effectively in battle, despite his limitations...

Kyu shook his thoughts free, and they started off again. He nodded a bit before speaking. "If we will both participate in the fighting, we will have to get a room at the inn in town. With any luck, we will be able to use our wages from the battling to pay for that, and still have money left over. In the event that we do not win--and with you, I see little chance of that--I have brought some coin to cover an inn anyway, and if I am not too wounded I may be able to find the odd job. I am sure battling will yield the results we wish, though. You seem excited for that, sir. I am glad."
    Last edited by Ashen; 06-12-2017 at 12:41 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Though the servant didn't particularly enjoy fighting, Lyonel knew that he was far better in a fight than he realized. The combat courses in the University were perhaps the best in the world... especially the graduate level courses required to become an Arcane Knight like Lyonel. The scribe's lack of distance vision didn't hinder him so long as he used a close range weapon, nor did his hearing hinder him so long as he didn't attempt to counter any spell incantations. In a sword fight, Lyonel would definitely bet on his friend over some random armsman.

"You always have my faith, Kyu," said the knight. "You know that. I wouldn't bring you on a dangerous quest like this if you weren't at least capable of besting some gladiator in the arena." Continuing on towards the trading town, the knight gave a nod. "While it will no doubt be necessary to camp in the wilderness along our quest... we might as well enjoy the comforts of the inn while we can. Compared to some of our other costs, lodging is a rather insignificant expense."

As much as the servant liked to flatter him with words... he wasn't entirely wrong. Lyonel knew he could handle himself in a fight... after all, he had achieved an A rank in the arena back in the Imperial City. He wasn't sure what sort of opponents he might face in this particular arena, but he doubted they would be as difficult as the ones in the big city.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

"Thank you, sire. You are right, of course." Though there was a part of Kyu that thought Lyonell was making a mistake in bringing him. There was no one more qualified than Kyu, and he knew that. He had been the one to accompany the arcane knight through all of his studies, through most of his life, and no one knew him better than Kyu did, both on the battlefield and off. But Kyu was Kyu at the end of the day, and his feelings of inadequacies often triumphed his confidence.

Though he vowed he would not let that get in the way. If Lyonell trusted him, he would prove to the man he could do what he thought he was capable of. He nodded indignantly. He then turned to their other line of conversation. "I ran all of the numbers already," he said. "We will be able to afford decent lodging without breaking the bank. Once we leave the major cities in towns, which should be in a couple of days, it would be more beneficial to camp outside among the stars." Not that Kyu could see the stars. He never had, had only heard of them from other people. "I did bring blankets for us, and some herbs, should we get wounded looking for firewood or food."

Soon they were outside the town. The two found themselves in an orchard of sorts. Fuzzy fruits grew from the trees that surrounded them. There were bushes all around, and from the one nearest Kyu's horse, there was a slight rustling the scribe could not hear. He was squinting at the trees, trying to determine what fruit was hanging. "Peach?" he asked, looking to Lyonell for confirmation. "What a peaceful place. I could sit here with a book for hours."

~Recruitment Thread~

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast