Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Mature ftw
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Default Ru Drew [art stuffz]

ABOUT THIS HERE THREAD

Ru will post art stuff here sometimes.
    This is not a request thread, sorry.
    Sometimes Ru will do random requests. These will be announced [sometimes].
    Ru stakes no claim on copyrighted material.
    Most graphics featured were done for free in a request thread.

THIS NEW SHIT, MAN [2017 AND BEYOND]
    Spoiler: Art During & After 2017 

IN THE OLDEN DAYS [BEFORE 2017]
    Spoiler: Art Before 2017 
    Last edited by Ru; 05-07-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Hayabusa made me a pretty.

❪ ❪ ❪ Check Out Teh Ru ❫ ❫ ❫
    « Ru Drew [art stuffz] » ❉ « [M] Olinkai Serenity {OOC} »

2Spooky4U
    Mostly Fantasy and Parody, and some Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Dude all of those are so good what the heeeeeck.

How did you make those figurines??? And what drawing program do you use? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

and dreadfully distinct/against the dark a tall white fountain played

Art Thread
    |Ask me stuff|My Characters

Spoiler: Quotes, sets, gamertags, things to click on 

Skadooer
    Mature ftw
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    Dude all of those are so good what the heeeeeck.
    Thank chu Practice makes perfect! haha. I was pretty much trash back in da day.

How did you make those figurines???
    Skull Kid and Toothless were made with a foil base first.

I swore I took pictures of the foil base for one of them buuuut apparently not. This is the earliest stage photo I have for Toothless.

Spoiler: Toothless P.1 

I need to update Toothless in that first post. o____o I didn't put the most recent one, for some reason. He actually has a grass base beneath him... Anywho~

I made a makeshift frame for them out of foil which makes it hold it's shape better, especially if you are creating something that's not perfectly balanced, has thinner bits, etc. With Skull Kid it made it so his arms would stay where I wanted them.

Your exact process will be influenced by the sort of clay you use. For both of them I used polymer clay, mostly Sculpey. What works best for you may be different. I've read reviews, tutorials, etc. all over the place and no one really consistently praises one polymer clay type — from what I've found.

Once you have the base shape out of foil [if you are using my method] then you build the clay on top of it. It's a helluva lot of playing around and molding.

ALWAYS make sure to take a step back. This is with any art form. A lot of my pieces were all wonky because I was soooo zoomed in on it I forgot to look at it as a whole piece. That's usually were there's anatomy issues [i.e. really big head, too long of arms, etc.].

I did use a trick for their eyes, though.

For Skull Kid's eyes, I actually molded around glass beads to ensure they stayed spheres. The rest on it is clay I built over it.

For Toothless' eyes, I had some green beads laying around that were perfect for his eye shape. I added a bit of black clay on top for his pupils.

Painting comes with practice. There was a lot more painting involved with Skull Kid than Toothless. Skull Kid was originally a lot more saturated prior to coloring him but I wanted to creat the effect of aged wood on him. So his involved a lot of mixed colors, watered down browns, and reeeeally tiny brushes and pins for his fuckin' mask.

Otherwise, it comes down to tools, which don't even have to be clay tools. I have some tools specific to clay but I've also used sewing pins, sewing needs, pens... pretty much anything that has the desired shaped I'm going for.

I do highly advise that your nails are cut. I can't tell you how many times I fucked up part of a piece because my nails were long. There's probably a way of getting around that like... gloves? But I love getting my hands dirty and feeling the clay.

Keep in mind that Skull Kid is probably 4-6" tall. I prefer working on smaller scales, haha, so you might need bigger tools than I use if you are making large pieces.

And what drawing program do you use? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS
    Sketchbook Pro Some pieces I sketch out with a pencil in my sketchpad first [which is the case for Seven Dabbing & Skikyo]. Sometimes I'll edit a bit in Photoshop but not too much, honestly. Anything with text I deeeeffffiiiinitely do in Photoshop. I don't like Sketchbook Pro's text system.

There are a looooot of layers involved with digital drawings.

I have this speed paint video that kind of shows what I mean, though you can't see all of the layers I used:

I need to make more speed paint vidoes >~>; so old. This one was done in 2016 and I've come up with much better techniques since then so I'm not erasing as much as I do in this one. I test out techniques all the time and they create different effects.

Skull Kid [digital] I made entirely black and white for shading, etc. Then I added color layers on top of it. Just flat color layers.

Rufio Feng was straight color. He was my means of playing around with cel shading. Same with Seven Dabbing.

I used to host monthly doodle parties back in da day where people could watch me draw. I might start that up again, haha. Who knows. I can be quite the bum.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE
    Added the most recent images for the Toothless figure. Didn't realize I forgot to put his base one o____o

Also, here's another graphic. A friend asked me to make her an avie:

2Spooky4U
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Well the blending is really good :0 I use Paint Tool SAI and I haven't figured out how to color and blend stuff well yet xD

Is there a specific tool that you used for the highlights in her hair, or was it just the blending tool? It looked very useful lol.

Art Thread

Skadooer
    Mature ftw
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

It's a combination of tools, really. I can't say anything for Paint Tool SAI since I haven't used it.

With the more blending pieces, it really is a combination of using one of my blending tools and then going over it again with different colors, especially highlights. Highlights I save for last. Sketchbook Pro has a handy tools that lets you guide the brush around and it keeps the round shape more to prevent fuck ups from shaky hands. I used it to create the highlight lines in the video I linked. Some areas I'd carefully blend over to add a bit of depth to the hair instead of straight highlights.

Contrast is what really makes stuff pop. Some of the highlights I'd specifically put next to my darker areas to ensure the highlight is really bright. Same color for any highlights area but next the dark color it pops more.

Other bit comes down to a trick I used for coloring my newer pieces that I'd have to find a video for. It involves how to pick your highlights and shadows on the color wheel to avoid the rookie mistake of using pure white and pure black. Mind you, I did that a loooooot when I was first starting lmao. I enjoy my pieces a lot more now that I don't, though. It really makes it look better, imo.

Essentially, if I recall correctly:

For your highlights, you'd choose a warmer spectrum than your base color then choose from a lighter, more saturated side from there.

For shadows, you'd choose from the warmer spectrum than your base color then choose a darker, more desaturated side from there.

It makes more sense when you can see it visually. The direction you go varies on the program. For Sketchbook Pro the colors are on a wheel so typically I'd go up the wheel for highlights and down for shadows.

Sometimes I add in an extra layer and overlay, screen, lighten, etc. depending on the effect I want to create special sorts of lighting on top. Usually in photoshop so I can use layer masks.

I hope this makes sense. @____@

2Spooky4U
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Thanks, that makes sense

Art Thread

Skadooer
    Mature ftw
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yay! I make sense! I should... scan things... I'm already neglecting my own thread.

Skadooer
    Mature ftw
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)