Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [M] Destrin Enters the Spider's Web

I of the storm
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Horror, Psychological, Mystery
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Arael let his glamoured face remain impassive as he listened to Destrin's terms, and watched him cooly with hands still folded. So, he refused an outright alliance. That was unsurprising, but irritating all the same. He would be a much more difficult piece to maneuver if he refused to change his troop movements based on their understanding. He was too canny for that, but Arael felt a slight sense of disappointment all the same. The Southern Kingdoms decision to stay away from the Empire was a significant boon, in the short term. That had been a term he had hoped for. It left the Southern Kingdoms isolated for awhile longer, 'though if they were confronted only with the Southern Dominion, that would not be a huge issue for the kingdoms. Not yet, at least. Although the baron could have found very little about Arael through the exchange, the lich could not help but wonder if it was too much all the same. Had it been worth the trip? His immediate insights on the Deathborne war machine were keen. Of course, the Deathborne increased in power as their enemies weakened. And already, the Deathborne had brought one mighty nation to its knees.

"A non-aggression pact. Hmm." Arael let a hint of disappointment creep into his voice. "I was hoping... we might have been able to secure more than that, but I respect your strategic mind. I suppose this is the most you can do in the best interests of your people."

Still, he sighed softly. "I do not know, in honesty, if that will be enough to placeate the Deathborne leadership. However, your relaxing of religious laws would be... appreciated. I would ask if we might take it a step further. Would you allow us to establish missionaries and churches within your borders? If not, I doubt our religion will gain the traction to spread in the first place."

He let his even gaze remain trained on Destrin's face as the commander ate the greasy chops. "Peace, I will attempt to secure - but in light of these conditions I do not know how my superiors will react. I will do the best I can, however. Extending to all of your territories should not be a problem, so long as the Deathborne culture is allowed to thrive in your lands. We seek to spread undeath for religious purposes, in case you haven't guessed already."

"For the prisoners and salvage? Done, and done. I have no qualms in those regards." He could attend to that later.

Ah... and so Destrin acknowledged the arrangement would only hold while Arael fought with the Deathborne. Interesting. Very interesting. That suggested he was more interested in Arael than he was in the Deathborne cause in general. Perhaps because he trusted the lich's peaceful rhetoric more than the violence and bloodshed he saw from Rozella. Arael's eyes remained calmly fixed on Destrin, meeting his gaze seriously. "A pragmatist, hmm? I can appreciate that. Thank you for the warning. I'll try not to turn my cloak any time soon." He framed that last comment as a wry joke, as if in reality him switching sides could not have been more unlikely.

JuliusFreft
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Missionaries and churches. Destrin knew it would be pushing to allow the Deathborne to establish those anywhere, but he also knew how to get it established. It would simply require that the Deathborne used a different rhetoric. Right now, they looked like unholy abominations, but...If they preached evolution of the mind...Destrin mentally shook his head. No. It might make it easier for him to maneuver, but giving any idea of how willing he was to help their cause would hinder his movements later. It was best not to make such maneuvers any time soon.

The idea that the Deathborne wished to simply spread Deathborne culture was, well...It was diplomatic, but Destrin had more or less surmised that 'culture' meant 'subjugation and reanimation,' so he wasn't certain how that might bode for their future endeavors. With the prisoners and salvage, however, Destrin had what he needed most--The opportunity to observe with impunity the most crucial pieces to his own ambitions. Destrin smiled. And when the man gave his joke, his smile became more sly and he did manage a chuckle. "No sane man would, while their superiors were still tha best way ta accumulate power." He'd leave that comment by itself. Let its' implications be felt by themselves.

"As fer tha missionaries an' such, ah can do that. One condition, though. Ah'll probably 'ave ta suggest that anyone who accepts undeath goes on a permanent pilgrimage ta tha Deathborne lands. Ah can't imagine tha higher ups acceptin' what'll basically be foreign assets in their own county, even fer religious purposes. If tha livin' can practice, an' tha religion ain't that different from tha one we've got now, then ah should be able ta work that." It was going to be hell making sure that Church was appropriately kept from rising up in arms if the Deathborne ever betrayed them. "An' tha Southern Kingdoms is a union built on tha backs o' many cultures. One more ta add ta tha mix shouldn't be a huge problem." He took another bite of the cutlets, and finally offered "Any questions er concerns ya 'ave? It's a long journey from 'ere. Ah'm sure we'll 'ave plenty o' opportunities ta talk in tha future, but none any time soon, ah think."

I of the storm
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Arael nodded. The grand strategist's title was aptly given. This one did not seem likely to make the same mistake that the Ryudeshi had. That he keenly understood the dangers of cultural assimilation suggested a deft mind outside the battlefield as well as upon it. This, however, would not fulfill the Deathborne objective. If the Southern Kingdoms could not meld their citizenry with the Deathborne, and accept the undead as equals, then their goal was left unfulfilled.

Destrin's comment on power, however, caused Arael's eyes to glint. Good. Here was one who followed the pursuit of it. Here was one, like himself, who might be persuaded to switch sides if the price was right, and his own realm was falling apart.

"Those terms are unlikely to agree with my superiors." Arael warned gently. "But I will see what I can do. For now, I am pleased that we have an understanding. Let us do what we can to persuade our respective leaders of a more moderate solution to our problems."

He stroked his chin thoughtfully at the last question. "I suppose there is one thing. If it came down to it, and your kingdoms begin to crumble in the indeterminate future... how willing would you be to pursue your own path?"

JuliusFreft
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

What the man was saying, from what Destrin could gather, was that there were two paths being presented. A quiet path, where the Southern Kingdoms lay down and allowed the Deathborne to rule, or a path of strife. Destrin, of course, saw a third path, but that was a card that awaited being played. It may be well down the line before it saw the light of day.

The question suggested might have been meant to plant the seed of doubt, but the Strategist saw an even wider opening--One into the mind of his fellow. That he asked such a question lead Destrin to believe he didn't think the Strategist would win in an internal power struggle. Destrin was, at this point, reasonably certain he would. But there was no reason to give the exact reasoning for that, beyond their trust in him. The fact that the two of them were sitting here, now, and it wasn't one of the Kings was actually quite the compliment, and quite the voucher of confidence in his abilities. Which meant less that he thought little of Destrin, and more that he didn't see how that was possible. That didn't suggest a weakness in Destrin's people, but rather a rigidity in the people of the Deathborne. He could use that.

Destrin rose an eyebrow. "If yer askin' where ah'd turn, the answer is ah'd turn ta myself. Tha Kingdoms 'ave given me tha tools ta seize tha reins, should tha Kings fail. No--Tha real question is, if yer struck with tha same conundrum, will tha Deathborne be willing ta allow ya ta do tha same?" He smiled, "Because, the way ah see it, a treaty with tha Deathborne would 'ave been unacceptable if anyone but me suggested it. Yet it seems like yer people wouldn't be able ta accept anything less than complete cultural assimilation, even though they should know you could probably 'ave gotten that, given time."

I of the storm
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Destrin hadn't answered in the way Arael had expected. He turned the question back on Arael with surprising efficiency, and the lich tilted his head slightly. "You are remarkably astute. Through the course of this conversation, you seem to have determined that I hold less influence among the Deathborne than I like to show. While it is true that my superiors are not particularly confident in my abilities, given enough time - I might be able to prove them wrong. I would like you to know, however, that we are of a like mind. A wise man, when in a difficult situation, relies only on himself." Not strictly true, but it presents a reasonable case. It didn't matter what he thought, just how this canny man perceived him.

If Destrin hadn't determined the true purpose of Arael's probing, to find out how fixed the baron was in his loyalty to the southern kingdoms, the lich did not intend to press it further.

"It's been a pleasure, Destrin. Shall we consider negotiations... concluded?"

JuliusFreft
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Destrin nodded. He didn't agree with the sentiment, exactly--A wise man, when in a difficult situation, looked for other, equally wise men, who wouldn't bog him down yet also enable him to achieve greater things. But that wasn't something this one needed to know. Better yet, it looked like there was a chink in the armor. "Ah think ya've misunderstood my point, but that won't matter fer tha time being. There's more yet ya can achieve with 'em, an' ah think you'll understand what ah mean in time." He paused, "Based on tha size o' tha Empire, an' tha accomplishments ah think you'll be able ta achieve, ah'd say you 'ave one campaign left afore it becomes obvious. That tip's free. Aye, ah think we've both got what we came for. Ah've got a whole list o' things ah 'ave ta do in preparation, now, an' ah'll be busy enough without sittin' around eatin' cutlets." He rose, then gestured toward the cutlets and the crying man, "If ya want tha rest, it's yers."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12