Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval History Discussion Thread

Cutie
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Medieval History Discussion Thread

Hello there! I know a lot of us here love Medieval History so I thought, why not make a thread discussing it? This thread will primarily for talking about Medieval History.

If you are interested in the combat side of things and armor I also have a large collection of gifs relating to both.https://imgur.com/a/qHulq

As a starter, do you have any favorite Medieval fashion? I'm a big fan of slashed doublets personally. Also a Medieval fashion related video.

On Hiatus from RP'ing
    My pronouns are She/Her, and They/Them. If it's hard to constantly switch just stick with She/Her.

RPA Honor Guard
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Surcoats are fun. A nice way to bling out your already swagariffic italian platemail

Spoiler: Things I like 

I of the storm
    Fantasy, Horror, Psychological, Mystery
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

A thing that's always got me about D&D and playing medieval characters is thinking about what sort of clothes they'd be wearing out of combat. It's really hard to imagine, since the fashion is so different and in some instances, really eccentric and odd for our standards.

Like, tights and really pointy shoes and tunics and stuff.

Cutie
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Scholagladiatoria actually has a really good video on these sorts of things and what someone might wear when adventuring!

On Hiatus from RP'ing
    My pronouns are She/Her, and They/Them. If it's hard to constantly switch just stick with She/Her.

Month the of Member November
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

One fact about medieval weapons. The double headed axes you see in fantasy didn't exist. Apparently a few were made and used for ceremonial purpose but that's it.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain • RPAs personal wolf fetish • RPA's Wolf Mascot • Crazy the Wolfheart

Cutie
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yep!

Also a great video ya'll might like. An examination of Talhoffer's manuscript. Containing such things as Medieval Diving Suits, bombs, and tons of duels.

On Hiatus from RP'ing

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! NICE

Any chance to feature stuff from around the world during this period of time?

Cutie
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Sure! I also really like to read about and talk about Sengoku Jidai Japan for instance.
    Last edited by Tolvo; 09-07-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    On Hiatus from RP'ing

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

So are we classing say the 16-1700's as the end of the period and 1000 as the start? Or will we go from the Norman Conquest of England (1066) as the start of the Medieval period? Just so I can get the right information and ask the right questions haha.

Also what might a medieval archer have worn? Gambeson of course (which I think beats out the surcoat for awesome clothing), or any clothing made of linen. What about chainmail though? Like a chain shirt or something?

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

Cutie
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Personally I'd say about the 500's to 1600 about. Depending on how you look at it.

As for what an archer wore it would really depend on the time period. Gambeson and a helm with no visor would be typical for much of the period. But a mail shirt could be worn, vambraces, greaves, sabatons, even a breastplate. the main thing is they wouldn't want shoulder armor as that would restrict their ability to fire arrows. As time went on you'd see them wear more armor and it would also depend on the wealth of the individual especially if they were a mercenary.

On Hiatus from RP'ing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast