Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Pokemon: Avarice Versus Justice! (Ashen and Headwrapper)

The Moonlight Knight
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Magical Worlds
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Clive responded to Yulia asking him if he needed anything with a single chuckle that dripped with sarcastic amusement, followed by a low "Nope." He continued to press one key at a time on his laptop, desperate to document his thoughts before he forgot any details or found himself needing to sleep and recover. Even as Yulia apologized, he continued punching away, painstakingly filling in his running document line by line. He still acknowledged that his partner spoke, only silently, by occasionally glancing passed the side of the laptop screen to look at her before going back to the screen again.

It was not until the tone of Yulia's voice shifted, growing even quieter, that Clive gave her his full attention. The sides of his lips twitched involuntarily as he studied Yulia's face, as if searching for something. Yet, he still listened, and he listened carefully. His gaze never left Yulia's face, unflinching even at the most surprising parts of her story. The Ninetales curse was an alarming factor, but like anything else, Clive knew there was no sense in questioning it until she was done. The rest of Yulia's sentiments, as noble as they sounded, did not stir much of a reaction either. At that moment, Clive was a sponge that was absorbing all of the information, and sponges did not typically have much to say.

Slow, empty, seconds of silence lingered once Yulia had concluded, ending with yet another apology. Clive laid still for a while, before turning himself and sitting up. He glanced back towards his laptop for a moment before pulling it to his lap. After a few key presses, he turned the thing towards Yulia, who would probably notice that Clive turned the camera on. He peaked to the screen to make sure there was a good shot, before snapping the picture, then spinning the laptop back around and turning the camera back off. He then closed the laptop lid and threw it to the center of his bed, before standing up. The new case file, the one about Yulia, will need to be started when he felt motivated to work again.

He probably did not have the energy to spare to just pace the room, but something in his body- maybe adrenaline, cortisol, testosterone- dictated that he would do so. "I never told you about Uncle Richie, did I?" he asked. "He wasn't really my uncle, but he was basically a brother to my father, so that made him basically my uncle too. They were partners. They made a legacy together unlike anything the GRPD, and maybe any PD across Johto and Kanto, had ever seen. Anything I've managed to do since starting my career is child's play compared to the feats they've accomplished."

He stepped passed Yulia's bed, eventually slowing to a stop to lean his shoulder against the wall by the window. He watched the streets below as people weaved their ways through the city, like ants as they carved their way through their mound. "Uncle Richie... Well, he was a pretty top notch guy. Never had kids, or a wife, but he just wanted to lock up bad guys. He volunteered at the food bank, I remember him taking me along once when I was old enough to fit a single can of baked beans in one hand. I think he did some stuff at one of the churches too? I don't know specifically what."

"Locking up the bad guys was his primary way of contributing to society though. And he was good at it, my dad was too, obviously, that's why they were so renowned." He paused, glancing down at the window sill, before deciding it would be welcoming enough to sit on. He lowered himself down before continuing, occasionally glancing towards Yulia when he did, but mostly talking at the room's cool and conditioned air. "If you look around you'll find pictures of my dad some places at the precinct. Three of them to be exact. One in the trophy case, one in the hallway leading to the courts, and one in the chief's office. There are zero pictures of Uncle Richie. None of the old school guys want to even acknowledge his existence. Can you venture a guess why that is, rookie?"

Clive paused to dig under his coat until he found the broken and scarred Pokeball that was given to him by the judge weeks ago. He continued on, whether Yulia answered or not. "We don't usually take kindly to turncoats, traitors, and deserters. For good reason. I mean, we swore our lives to the protection of others. It's a covenant we made to mankind, to Pokemon, and to each other to defend the innocent and to bring justice to those that harm them. Personally, I don't make a big deal of it, but at the end of the day that is what it is, isn't it? So when someone turns their back on something like that... actually worse, opposes it, we can't take it lightly.

'You're probably smart enough to understand where I'm going with this, right Yulia? The reason my dad died, on the field, is because Uncle Richie got him killed. In fact, he might have been the one to do it, no one knows. The bullet in my dad's brain was registered to him. This Pokeball, which is supposed to be locked up in evidence, had Uncle Richie's prints all over it. Uncle Richie was the only one who could have known where my mother was hiding while my dad was working on such a dangerous case, and yet somehow she went missing."

There was visible tension across Clive's forehead, despite his speech being steady. "They never found him. There's a lot of details to the case, and believe my I know them all, but to keep it short he was spotted a couple times with a cartel and that was it. Gone. Far too much time has passed for that case to ever be solved now, not by the law anyway. That man was partners with my dad for longer than I've even been in the game, and for that whole time he had demon's in the closet. He had better plans for himself. It did not matter to him if he betrayed maybe the only person that entrusted his life to him. His other life, the non-detective life, was more important."

Clive drew a long breath, finally letting go of the visible frustration on his face as he stood. He glanced down at Yulia. "All of that being said... thanks for telling me. I'm honored to have been the first person you told. I still have questions about what you just told me, still have doubts, but whatever the actual truth is I know I can handle it. However. I do not want Uncle Richie. I don't want to make that picture the first that goes into my personal file about Yulia Oryolovna, and have to obsess over it like I have with Uncle Richie's, just to keep myself safe. I can not accept more secrets if they might compromise our work, or get me killed. If stopping Avarice really means everything to you, which I believe you when you say it is, then you will answer me honestly- are you still holding anything back, yes or no?" His dark eyes met Yulia's, not quite leering, but his facade was still unwavering.

The Ashen One
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Clive was quiet, processing. It was normal for him to be silent as he listened and considered the information presented to him. That comfort, however, was far outweighed by the anxiety bubbling beneath Yulia's skin in the silence that followed her story. She tried to look away, to focus on anything else so that she wasn't staring at Clive, waiting. But then, he went back to his computer, as if to ignore her entirely. Yulia hesitated, not knowing how to address Clive's behavior, when suddenly he turned the laptop to her. She noticed the light beside the camera before she saw her reflection, and as Clive closed her mugshot away with whatever he was documenting, she felt a horrible feeling deep in her stomach.

Then, he started talking. Yulia got no acknowledgement of her story, but she gave Clive the benefit of the doubt. She had no idea why he was suddenly talking about his uncle, but she listened politely. Hadn't she read about the investigating duo in a class somewhere? Hadn't a classmate even done a report on them? But she listened from Clive's perspective, putting herself into his shoes. She watched him as she talked about his father, and his good-natured uncle, and the night that everything changed. Suddenly, Yulia understood why Clive had begun talking about all this, long before he asked his question, and a wave of nausea suffocated her. Clive had a lot of admiration for his father, that much was clear, but he did not want to become him.

Her gaze fell to the floor, hard. Thoughts spiraled out of control. She knew what he would come to ask, but what could she say? How could she answer the partner she was supposed to trust with her life? And then he uttered those words, demanded them, and Yulia felt her throat close up. She could not speak, could not think. He was right; he didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve the secrets that could endanger him, the partner who could have been a traitor. But what would he think if he knew?

Yulia sat in silence, at war with her conscience. Maybe it was time to come clean once and for all. Clive would try to help her; this was his mission, too. She believed in his passion in shutting down Avarice. They were connected that way. So when she told him, he would be patient, and he would help her, and he would think nothing of it.

But she knew that was wrong. She knew opening her mouth now would be suicide. Five little words would ruin her life, and she couldn't bare to think of a world in which her secret was out.

Though maybe it was time for a world in which she didn't have to hide.

Yulia brought her gaze to Clive, to his cold expression. How long had she kept him waiting? How many minutes stretched between his question and now? She did not know how to apologize, for any of this. "Clive," she said softly. She could only pray the fear was not as obvious in her voice as it was in the shaking of her hands. "I would never do that to you, and I hope you can trust me when I say that. I would never forgive myself if any pain befell you on my behalf. Even today, knowing something could have happened to you because of... this, I hate it. I hate myself for putting you in danger."

Her words were unsteady. She tried to think of the best way to tell him, how to word it, what not to say. The best way would be to come out with it, directly.

"When I black out," she started, but her voice cut off sharply. The color drained from her face, and she sat there, as if paralyzed. A voice from back then, the source of her trauma, found its way back to her thoughts. She heard it clearly, as if it was being spoken aloud, as if her enemy were in the very room with her.

If you tell anyone, I will kill you.

It left as quickly as it had come, another unwelcome memory in this trip through her thoughts. Yulia was left panting, unable to explain to Clive what had just happened. How could she? She couldn't find the words, the body language. Before she knew it, tears were streaming down her face, and then she was sobbing. It was as if her body was acting on its own, betraying the composure she'd spent so long trying to perfect. She tried to wipe at her eyes, though the act seemed hopeless. "I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I don't... I don't know what's wrong with me." Yulia reached for a box of tissues on the nightstand by her bed and removed her glasses. The world blurred around her, a mosaic of color and complexity.

Clive would hate her. How could he ever trust her after this? Of course she had more to hide, and the day she didn't was the day she died.

She vowed it.

"I'm sorry," she said again. She landed from the bed on shaky legs and grabbed her bag. The rest of the pack wouldn't satisfy her now; she'd need to buy some more cigarettes. She looked to Clive, unable to clearly make him out. Her crying wouldn't stop, and she knew there was no use in trying. "Clive," she said again, more desperately. "I promise, with all of who I am, that I will never hurt you. The second I break that promise, I want you to kill me."

Before he could even respond she was on her way out. She needed to get away from this, from her partner and her job, her warring memories. She was not well enough to stand, let alone walk out like she was doing, and in her haste she left her glasses on the bed, but that did not matter to her.

Her partner must have hated her. If she couldn't rely on him, she didn't know how she would ever defeat Team Avarice.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The moments after Clive posed his question grew long, but even still, the detective's eyes stayed fixed on his partner. His brows furrowed, the tension on his face evident form the deep lines that traveled across his forehead. Secretly, he prayed. Prayed he would not have to start the file, prayed that he would get a straight answer, no matter how much that answer might complicate things. Prayed that his suspicions can be put at ease, that he could focus his efforts purely on bringing Avarice to justice. Prayed that when he did so, he could do it in a way he never thought possible: with a partner by his side.

His gaze was unyielding, even as Yulia stammered and paused, fighting to get her words out. No emotion was betrayed by Clive's face. He only watched and listened intently, waiting for the answer he demanded. Finally, he got it. He knew the moment that Yulia broke down, a sobbing mess. Clive recognized that frustration- it was not very different from when the subject of an interrogation has been convinced to relinquish vital information, and yet some ultimate force, some threat, some force of will did not allow them to do so. Unwilling to crack, despite the enormous pressure weighing down on them.

It was only upon yielding to this notion that Clive's fixated stare finally wavered, and he gazed down towards the floor. His sullen expression hardly changed, even upon hearing Yulia's vow to him and what she asked him for should she break that vow. Moments later, Yulia was gone, and Clive felt lonely again.

It had been so long since he had felt it, lonesomeness. Even alone, he hardly felt lonely. After all, he had his Pokemon and he had his duties. Now though, he was reminded of a time before he was able to be appeased by such things. What it was like for years after losing his parents and their family friend. Had things really gone full circle, threatening to pull him back into the confusing haze that those feelings created?

"Don't be stupid," he said to himself, sitting up. To think that this would even compare to the most tragic event of his life was so foolish. What, he was going to feel slighted, disappointed, that this woman he had known for a few months could not trust him with something secret to her? Of course that made no sense. At least she made some things clear to him. Nothing changed, and Clive was responsible for his own life and for his work.

His thoughts quickly jumped to what he would be adding to his new file. Who was Yulia, exactly? Why had she one day appeared immediately appointed to be his partner while working on the Avarice case that she felt so passionately about? The circumstances of her upbringing clearly lead to her current quirks. What details did he not know about and how could they manifest? What of her stories, how much could he believe, and how much could be fable or even just the ramblings of a madwoman?

He moved quickly to reach for his laptop, wincing and gasping loudly when he did so. Maybe the file could wait until after he had more rest. After some careful movement, his head tiredly hit one of the pillows on his bed, and he stared at one of the empty walls blankly, his brain still stringing together thoughts to add to his beloved files. First they were the Yulia file, but eventually his thoughts drifted back to the familiar Avarice file. Lastly, he recalled every last detail of the Richard Mears file.

After a long while, Clive arose, too restless to fall asleep, despite the fatigue from the day's events. Gently, he picked up the pair of glasses Yulia left behind. He let out a long sigh before releasing Houndour from his Pokeball. "Let's at least make sure she's okay," he said tiredly, motioning the glasses forward for Houndour to lead the way. They started out of the hotel, slowly following the scent trail that would have been left behind by Yulia.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Her tears were relentless, even long after she'd left her room and snuck out of the hotel. Her legs were burning, and a nausea was threatening to close her airways. When was the last time she had felt so shitty? There was no coming back from this; her silence had ensured her partner's betrayal of trust. Had she not just ruined every chance she had of completing her life mission? No, she thought, she could still do it alone, without Clive, without anyone at the police department. It was her mission; she didn't have to involve anyone else.

In her blind stumbling from the hotel, she tripped on a Ratatta scurrying by, and as she fell to the ground she cursed her clumsiness. She didn't have the strength to get up, so she scooted to the nearby building and threw her head against its facade. The action sent stars through her vision, so she pinched her eyes shut, grabbed fistfuls of her skirt. "I hate you," she growled, helpless, child-like. "I hate you," she repeated, louder now. "Why won't you die?" She was nearly screaming by her last word, loud enough to attract the attention of a woman walking nearby. Yulia didn't even look up. She must have looked crazy to this world, to the people who could never trust her, no matter what she did. And wasn't she crazy? Didn't she deserve this?

When she finally stopped crying, she thought back to the events in that hotel room, just minutes before. No, Clive, she should have said, easy. I have nothing else to hide. Wouldn't that have prevented all this? Or Of course, Clive, I have more to hide--don't we all? Anything would have been better than her reaction. Thinking about it brought the tears back, but she blinked them away. In all her years, she had never cried like this. What was so different about Clive? Whatever it had been, she was sure she'd just lost it for good.

She knew she could not sit like this forever. Yulia looked around, at the dark alley she had found herself in, the silhouettes of Pokemon high above her. A purple blob peeked its head over a trash can to stare at her. Why had she left without her glasses? She pulled a Poke Ball from her bag and gently threw it in front of her. The Beartic that came from it located her owner, and she made a concerned groan when she saw her. "Hey Zita," Yulia said, gently patting the bear's leg. "I'm going to need your help getting up, okay?"

The Beartic shifted. Strong and steadfast, she helped Yulia to her feet, and the two of them were able to make it back to the street. Yulia then recalled Zita, and she squinted at the street signs and people around her. Where... was she? Getting lost was just another thing to add to the list of things she'd ruined that day. She walked for a few minutes, but she could not find any landmarks, not through her nearsightedness. She swore, and just as she was about to ask for directions, she saw a blur of black approaching her.

Yulia panicked. From the size of it, the thing approaching her was likely a Mightyena, or even a Zoroark--no, not hairy enough. It was a Houndour, she realized, as it drew near. Clive's Houndour. She looked beyond the Pokemon and saw a man, her partner, coming to find her, even after everything. Did he... still care? You're still his partner, she reminded herself. For now. Hoping her eyes were not still red, Yulia walked to Clive and offered him a small smile. "Hi," she offered quietly. "You wouldn't happen to... know the way back?"
    Last edited by Ashen; 07-17-2020 at 03:11 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

"Slow down a bit," Clive said calmly as he followed after his Houndour. The dark Pokemon was eagerly tracking its target. Thanks to its training, it hardly wasted a moment while performing such a task. Each step put made the scent trail clearer, only serving to increase the Pokemon's confidence as it continued to bridge the distance between itself and the target. Despite this, the loyal Pokemon slowed its pace upon its trainer's command.

The streets of Saffron were still relatively busy, even in the later hours. Any light, be it from the sun or the lamps that lined the streets, reflected off the golden bricks and made the city glow bright like Azalean charcoal. It was not very different from Goldenrod, Clive thought. With so much activity happening at any given time, and with such a great population, it was easy to believe that crime would inevitably take place along these streets. That's what people did, after all. They make rules, and break them too.

The detective continued to follow Houndour, preoccupying himself with such thoughts as he did. He considered asking his Pokemon to slow down a second time, but instead pushed passed the fatigue. It would be better if he found Yulia sooner rather than later, before it grew too dark. Finally, they succeeded in doing so. Clive spotted his partner's blue hair just as his Houndour let out a quick bark. "That's enough Houndour, I see her now," he said calmly before the dog became too set on barking. The slowly approached Yulia, who was clearly lost. Rather jumpy too. Clive figured the reason was obvious, and he reached into a coat pocket for Yulia's glasses.

"Yeah," he said in response to her question, presenting her with her eye wear he gently pinched between his fingers. He gave her a once over as she took the glasses. They definitely had a rough day, the both of them, and their last conversation did not serve to make things much better. He wondered if it was the right thing to do, putting her on the spot the way that he did. Maybe she was not strong enough to handle that kind of thing, not from someone who intimidated her sometimes.

Still, the girl did not break down at the sight of him. In fact, if anything she might have been glad he came and found her, so Clive took that as a good sign. He had already resigned to the fact that the truths he needed from her would take time to extract, meaning he had no reason to press the issue further. "We should probably hurry back," he said. "We both look like crap. Can you walk okay?"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Clive's response to Yulia's lighthearted question was simple, cold, but Yulia only had herself to blame for expecting anything else. She gratefully took her glasses and set them on her nose. Like magic, she blinked the world back into focus, but she found that she still did not know where she was. Had she not studied the map of this city well enough, or was she too exhausted to even recognize her own surroundings? Either way, she was glad Clive was here, despite everything that had gone down, and that they would be able to relax for a bit as soon as they got back to the hotel.

Body still aching, Yulia assured her partner she was well enough to walk, and the two of them made their way back to the hotel. The walk was near torturous for the blue-haired detective, and several times throughout it she thought she might pass out before arriving at their destination. However, the familiar building came into view and, letting out a sigh of relief, Yulia found the energy to keep going. The elevator provided a short but welcome respite, and from there it was only a short walk to their room. Yulia dropped into the bed she'd claimed and sighed into the soft sheets and cool pillow. She was only dully aware of Clive's presence in the room. She did not know if he took his place in the bed beside hers, if he stayed up on his laptop, or if he passed out like his body must have been begging him to, for in only moments sleep claimed Yulia, and nothing would stir her from her slumber.

By the time she awoke, daylight was streaming through the window and bathing the room in a cheery glow. Yulia moved to rub the sleep from her eyes but found her glasses in the way. She took them off and instead rubbed the sensitive skin on her nose, now red and imprinted from her frames. Clive was still asleep beside her. Yulia checked the time and pulled herself out of bed, then to the bathroom. The shower was everything she needed, and as it wiped the memories of yesterday far from her mind, she made a promise to herself. She would never act like that in front of Clive again.

After her shower, she quickly and quietly got dressed and watched Clive for several moments, deep in thought. She could explore the city some more, check out popular daytime spots and mingle with the locals, or she could sit down and draw up some more notes, read up on more crimes. She decided on something else entirely; as her stomach growled, she knew Clive would likely be hungry when he woke too. Grabbing her purse, she checked her phone for nearby restaurants, and she made her way out to bring him breakfast in bed. The entire way there, she struggled to decide if it was an apology or not.

The menu was displayed on the wall behind the counter, with bright pictures of entrees and appetizers. Yulia stood in line awkwardly, trying to decide what to get. What did Clive even like? The line moved steadily until it was her turn to order, and she stumbled over her words. The receptionist gave her a weird look, so she apologized. She decided on a pancakes-and-bacon platter, convincing herself that everyone liked pancakes, and she paid for the trays and carried them back to the hotel. It was still early in the day, and she wouldn't expect Clive to be awake for a while yet, but a part of her wanted him to wake soon, to see if he was still mad, so she could find a way to fix everything.

~Recruitment Thread~

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Upon returning to the hotel, Clive withdrew to the bathroom, marching straight to the porcelain bowl at the very end of the room. When he washed his hands, he carefully observed himself in the mirror. A dirty man, flogged by the events of that day, stared straight back. His eyes were dark as ever, but when did the circles under them get there? Just above them, the lines on his forehead were beginning to create permanent homes for themselves, lining his head systematically like the streets of the city. The stubble on his face was starting to become a short beard, neglected over the last few weeks.

He washed his face before leaving the bathroom. Yulia had already reserved to her bed, and was already asleep if not just about to be there. Clive chose to do the same, managing to get into more comfortable clothes before sliding underneath the sheets. He closed his eyes, drawing slow and steady breaths as he recollected what needed to go in the Oryolovna file, then the Avarice file, and lastly the Mears file. By the end, he had fallen asleep.

He stared out into the darkness as his thoughts picked back up. I need to get a new phone, he thought. I wonder how much the Saffron police have investigated the people working the festival. Avarice might compromise the security staff. He was not sure how long he laid there before he briefly felt the warmth of the sun on his face. I'm awake. That was his final thought before he suddenly opened his eyes, disappearing from the sea of darkness and arriving once again the hotel room he shared with Yulia.

He groaned softly as he sat up and blinked the room into view. Yulia was already awake, and dressed for that matter. Clive rubbed his eyes gently before croaking out a "Good morning." He cleared his throat quickly. "Looks like you've been up a while." He looked towards the window, squinting at the light that was pouring in. It had been a long time since he slept in for so long. He'd find a way to make up the lost time, he thought to himself.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Her partner was not so quick to rise. Yulia ate her breakfast quietly, then discarded the trash from it when she'd finished, all the while watching to see if Clive would wake up. After a while, she realized she looked a lot like a stalker. She looked away quickly, but her mind wandered; what would he have thought if he'd woken to her just staring at him? She tried to distract herself with work: she read an entire blog entry on the history of the festival, and once it was late enough to be socially acceptable, she placed a few calls, to the GRPD, the Saffron Police Department, and to several local businesses. She made these calls in the hallway, but Clive didn't even stir each time she returned. Worry started to settle in; had the previous day exhausted him that much? Had the injuries from the warehouse been so severe? Yulia glanced at the tray she'd brought, wondering if she should wake him, and ultimately deciding against it.

By the time he did awake on his own, Yulia was deep in her work. She noticed him quickly and greeted him with a smile and a chipper, "Good morning!" She set her papers aside and looked him over. He looked... okay. Not mad, not yet. Groggy. She shook her head. "Not that long," she replied, a lie. How long had she been awake? She motioned towards the papers now scattered across her bed. "I've been productive, at least. I've checked in with a few of our partners and made sure things were alright back home, too. I updated the report I started for Saffron City, and I've already sent you the link to the online version of the document. I have a meeting in..." She glanced at the bottom-right corner of her laptop. "...a couple hours, with one of the regular vendors at the festival, about her experiences in past years and some recent activities that may be related to Avarice." She glanced back at him. "Oh, sorry," she mumbled, "I'm rambling. I've just been doing busywork, is all."

Her list of morning activities; was she trying to convince him that she could still do her job? She dismissed the thought, not wanting to dwell on her motives. She turned to face him more fully. Yulia was dressed comfortably today, in a silky blouse and shorts, barefoot, her sandals kicked off on the other side of the room. She wondered, for the first time that day, if she looked too informal for her partner. She quickly cursed the thought; when had she cared about that before? She was off-duty anyway, and could dress however she pleased. Though this need to now impress Clive irritated her. Had they not been working together all this time?

She cleared her throat. "I, um, brought you breakfast." She motioned towards the tray on the nightstand by his bed. "It might be a bit cold, now. I thought you would be up earlier. Oh--not to imply anything, you're free to sleep however long you want, and I know yesterday was, um..." Shut up, Yulia. She straightened awkwardly. Her eyes fell back to her files, her laptop. "Pancakes," she said after a moment. "It's pancakes, and bacon, and the lemonade in the cup is for you too. I didn't know how much syrup you'd want, so I brought three packets, but you can have the one I didn't use. I put it beside the tray. I just thought it might be nice, to wake up to some food, since I figured you'd be hungry." She was still talking too much. Yulia cursed the shy way she now talked to Clive. This wasn't her.

"I'm sorry," she said, turning back to him. "Listen to me. I sound like an idiot." She laughed quietly, mirthlessly. "How are you feeling? Did you sleep well?" Her smile this time was more genuine.
    Last edited by Ashen; 08-04-2020 at 05:02 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Clive rubbed the sleep out of his eyes as he listened to Yulia explain what she had gotten into that morning. From the sounds of things, she was definitely up much earlier than he was. He wondered how that could have been, with all that had happened the day before. Maybe Yulia was accustomed to having to recover quickly from after passing out. Clive wondered if he had stayed up a lot longer recollecting his thoughts. He had a whole extra file to consider now, after all.

The man sat up completely, turning so that he was seated on the edge of the bed, facing Yulia. His gaze stayed low to the floor as he shook off the last remnants of his sleep, the bottoms of his bare feet pressing into the carpet. Plans on how he would spend the rest of the day already began to spiral in his head. He still had not taken a shower since the day before, so he would have to knock that out of the way, make sure he did not have any important emails, and then figure out his phone situation. Hopefully he would not have to go without until the PD could replace his old one, but he had a feeling that might be the case.

He raised an eyebrow, and looked up curiously when Yulia stated that she had thought to surprise him with breakfast. He glanced back and forth between the tray and Yulia herself while she explained everything rather timorously. Clive didn't really know what to say, both because of the kind gesture and because of the way Yulia was behaving. Even when they were first partnered together, the younger detective was never so disjointed with her words. In fact, it annoyed Clive at first how confident and prepared she always seemed to be, but he did learn to appreciate it. In a way, Clive was sad that their relationship was suddenly strained so much, but he knew it was necessary. It was also far from irreversible, or at least that was what a small part of him hoped, anyway. He knew better than to let that small part control him, though.

A sudden relief poured into the room once Yulia recollected herself. Clive reserved any of his own comments about Yulia sounding like an idiot to himself, simply choosing to reach over to the tray of food and place it on his lap. One side of his lips curled into a smile as he responded to Yulia's questions and he squeezed out some of the syrup on his now cold pancakes. "I'm alright. A lot better, actually. I can't believe I slept for so long without waking up once. Thank you for the food."

He ate his food silently, the fact that it was cold hardly bothered him, and he occasionally reached over to his laptop so he could scroll through the day's messages. "We need to make the Saffron police aware of what we saw in that warehouse," he eventually said idly. "There was something else in that basement besides whatever it was those people took. Something guarding it, a Pokemon maybe?"

When he finished his food, he stood to throw away his trash, and then grabbed a few items from his bag. He announced that he was going take a quick shower and retreated to the bathroom. The same familiar face from the night before stared back at him in the mirror, as shaggy as ever. Maybe the circles beneath his eyes that he was so shocked to see the other night were always there after all. They weren't so bad now, and all it took was a stupid amount of sleep.

He took his shower quickly, and when he was done he even took the time to trim the hair on his face back to stubble length, shaved his neck, and combed his long hair away from his eyes. After getting dressed, he reemerged from the bathroom and promptly took a seat back on the side of his bed. "Good luck on your interview with the vendor," he said as he started to put his boots on. "My phone broke when I got shocked yesterday, so you won't be able to reach me. We'll meet up later."

Once he was fully dressed and ready, he rose to leave the hotel. "That being said, need anything from me?" he asked unceremoniously.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

When Yulia heard the water flow from the shower head, she pulled her laptop back onto her lap and reopened the file she’d shared with Clive. She had dedicated a portion of the report to the warehouse, but she hadn’t been particularly specific about their findings there. She’d detailed what she could—the exterior, the passage she’d found, the possibility of some headquarters in the basement—but she’d left a lot out, instead putting brackets where she thought Clive could describe things better. She was embarrassed at how much she didn’t remember about the day, likely because it had led to everything. When she finished adding what Clive had mentioned, she set the laptop aside again and glanced to the other side of the room. Had he seemed… wary? Disappointed, maybe? Yulia shook it off. She was looking too far into things.

Clive returned looking much more refreshed and prepared for the day. Yulia smiled at him, and she bowed her head in thanks at his good wishes. When he mentioned his phone, however, the smile fled from her face. “Oh,” she murmured. Being in an unfamiliar place, a place with confirmed Avarice activity, with no way to contact her partner… What could go wrong? She nodded again, agreeing to meet up later, whenever later was. Maybe the day apart would be good for them. After all their forced time together, all the bad energies they’d already stirred up in this city, maybe it would be for the best.

“I’ll be alright,” she replied to his question. “Thank you. I’ll catch up with you later. I’ll be updating the report after my meeting, so if you want to check that feel free. I might explore a bit afterwards. Anything of note I’ll put in our report. Right; have a good day!”

When Clive left, Yulia gathered her laptop and the files she’d been working on, and she packed everything away in her bag. Shortly after, she left the hotel, and she spent the afternoon without occasion. Her meeting had been uneventful. Yulia had spoken with an elderly woman in charge of a food stall who had had a lot to say about nothing of interest. She spoke extensively about the festival, including many things Yulia hadn’t cared to know. The detective was able to rule out the old woman’s suspicions of Avarice meddling as anything serious, and she walked away from the meeting with a budding headache. Back at the hotel, she updated the report with the little useful information she’d gotten, and she sighed. Now it was time to really find out more about this city.

While at the hotel, she changed clothes, and she reemerged looking markedly different than usual; the light tones of her makeup, when she wore makeup, had been exchanged for bold, dark hues; her ponytail had been set free, and her light blue hair fell over her shoulders; her favorite ascot tied around her like a bandeau, concealing her chest from the view her low-cut dress gave her. When she left the hotel, she reached for a cigarette and dangled it between her teeth. An entire city to explore; where to begin?

She started at cafes and restaurants, mingling with the staff. The festival was the talk of the town, but Yulia listened intently. The more she heard, the more excited she was about experiencing all the festivities herself, even if she would be working. She wondered if she and Clive would have a moment, afterwards, to enjoy it all. A loud voice snapped her from her thoughts.

“I’m sure your boyfriend will take you to all the attractions.” The waitress who had brought her her drink wore a wide grin. “You’ve got one of those, don’t you, doll?”

Yulia chuckled. “You could say that,” she replied. “He’s stuck with me for now, anyway.”

“Don’t say that!” The waitress swatted at the air between them. “No one would be stuck with you. You’re a charming young lady. Anyone would love to take you.”

Yulia leaned forward, hair dangling over the tall drink she didn’t remember ordering. “I’m sure he would,” she sighed. “I’d show him such a good time.” She reached for the straw and smirked.

The waitress chuckled. “You have fun, then,” she said. “Holler if you need anything else.” She started away to tend to someone else.

Yulia was surprised to taste the bitterness of alcohol through her straw. She had had to order something to be allowed in, but why this? Was that where her newfound confidence was coming from? She shrugged it off. Whatever helped her to talk with more locals.

Later that night, she made a map of the bars and clubs in town, and she started visiting them one by one. Socials hubs like these were the best places for information, and she intended to find something useful. By the fourth bar, however, she’d lost sight of her mission, and she tossed back another glass. The brunette on her side giggled. They had been talking about Avarice, but the peppy girl kept leading the conversation astray, and Yulia wasn’t sure she didn’t want that. Her head was pounding again, always there to ruin her outings.

“Remind me again what you know about Avarice?” Yulia’s words were slurred. The bandeau had been taken off in some bathroom, and she knew the cleavage was distracting. She also knew it helped get answers.

“They took my brother’s Rapidash,” the girl repeated. “Like a month ago. We went over this. Some blonde girl in a stupid uniform. He found it scratched up and bleeding a couple weeks later, near the police department. Can we stop talking about that?”

Yulia made a mental note of what the girl had said, though it blurred in her mind. She’d remember it later, she told herself, and as she turned to face the girl again, she forgot all about Avarice.

By the time she made it back to the hotel room, it was dark. Her phone had died, so she had made it home by following her Braviary. As she slipped her key into the slot, she composed herself. She was sober—mostly. Walking straight, at least. Had she found anything? A few mentions of isolated Pokemon kidnappings, but she struggled to remember specific details. Had the night been more work or play? She couldn’t decide.

She let herself in, wondering if Clive would be there. What would she say to him? Why did she have to say anything to him? She’d spent the day investigating, and she had nothing to be ashamed of… until she remembered how low-cut her dress was, and a dark red splashed onto her cheeks. It had helped with the customers at the bars, perhaps, but her partner… She hadn’t considered him finding her like this.

~Recruitment Thread~

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast