Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Pokemon: Avarice Versus Justice! (Ashen and Headwrapper)

The Moonlight Knight
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Magical Worlds
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It did not take long for Clive to return to his desk at the precinct. He slid into the chair behind his desk, and his hands quickly got to work unlocking his computer as he adjusted his seat. Gears turned and his own mental instructions clicked into place as he preemptively formulated how he would go about his search for a connection to Phoenix. He tapped his fingers, annoyed, as he waited for his computer to fully boot up. After the icons of his desktop had loaded, he went to work.

Clive hardly noticed as others had made there way in and out of the shared office, only looking up when spoken to directly. "You didn't... ditch Yulia, did you?" he heard Natasha say.

Clive initially only responded by pulling the hood of his jacket over his head, but even from beneath the protection of the warm fabric he could feel Natasha's gaze. "She's out on the field. We're about to make some headway with the Avarice case. I can tell." He could hear Natasha hum as she turned and returned to her own desk. There was something more to it, a smile or a grin. Although Clive was not watching, he heard it in that small hum.

After finishing his extensive search, Clive narrowed down on two inmates that were somehow involved with Phoenix. The pair was suspected of working with Phoenix or Team Avarice at some level, but there was no evidence that was admissible in court to support the claims. They ended up being charged and incarcerated for other crimes, however. Clive wondered if after spending time in their cells, if they were more willing to open up about working with Phoenix.

"Olivine City Detention Center..." He mumbled to himself as he stood. He spent the next few hours gathering various records and placing them in his messenger bag, until it was time to call it quits for the day. It was about that time that his Pokemon would want to be out of their Pokeballs for a while.

The Ashen One
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Finally, Yulia had established contact. She had a long talk with her snitch, and though she ultimately got less than she'd hoped for, she still had something of a lead. She had a name, and a person who might know a thing or two. That would have to be good enough. After searching at home, Yulia learned that her person wasn't going anywhere, so she took some time to finally relax.

She lost track of time, and by the time she woke up visiting hours were nearly over at the detention center. Swearing under her breath, Yulia grabbed her keys and ran out the door, hoping she would still be able to get what she needed. With Clive gone, she wouldn't have to explain how she had the hunches she did, and when she came back to him with information maybe he'd deem her a worthy partner after all. It was a bit early to make a name for herself, but Yulia hoped this would at least put her into some good books.

When she arrived at Olivine City Detention Center, she noticed she had some fifteen minutes with her contact. She swore again and hurried inside. After flashing her ID, she was allowed to meet with her contact, some man who recognized her instantly. He stared, open-mouthed, at the blue-haired woman behind the glass screen. Yulia kept a straight face, not wanting to give herself away. She hated how these places always smelled, like blood, sweat, and absolute despair. Shaking the thought, she cleared her throat, and she had a chat with the terrified man before her.

A guard came to get her shortly after the beginning of their meeting, so Yulia couldn't get much, but what she did manage to get from this man she planned to look into. She politely thanked the guards and left the detention center, a bad feeling rising in her stomach.

When Yulia got home, she thought to call her partner, but realized it was getting lately. She didn't want to disturb him by texting him, so she thought an email was her best bet. Sitting down at her laptop in her bedroom, she told Clive that she'd met with a former member of Team Avarice at the detention center, and that she had new information on the possible whereabouts of Phoenix. She didn't want to share too much via email, so she promised to speak with him first thing tomorrow morning.

Former Grunt Michael Boston hadn't been with Avarice for a few weeks, but he'd been around just as word of Phoenix was going around. It was The Great Revival, or so the man himself had called it. Phoenix was coming back, though this time his hiding place was unknown even to his closest allies... except. Boston speculated that it was on a remote island, and that there was another lab there where Avarice was storing even more Pokemon and running torturous tests. He'd been in charge Phoenix's tech team, and he'd gotten glimpses of Pokemon they couldn't account for on their main campus, plus essays written by a few names he'd recognized to be a part of Team Avarice. Yulia speculated that Phoenix teleported or flew to such an island, but if the rest of Boston's guesses were true, Avarice was perhaps bigger than expected.

Knowing she needed to relay everything to Clive tomorrow, Yulia spent most of her night researching all that she could, though her results came up moot. Maybe, she hoped, her partner would have some info she could rely on.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

After leaving the station, Clive quickly began making his way towards the northern route. A sandwich shop caught his eye on the way, and he stopped to grab himself some food before exiting Goldenrod altogether. As he walked further and further away from the cities northern exit, and less and less people occupied the space around him, his face grew less and less stoic. His jaw loosened, and the wrinkles on his forehead began to relax. Still, he raised his hood over head to avoid making eye contact with the few other wanderers around him. This was his alone time, a necessary time for him to keep his sanity.

Eventually, he reached the national park. His wandering would lead him to a bench a ways away from any others that also visited the park for the evening. After a few silent moments sitting along, Clive reached for his Pokeballs and began to release each Pokemon he had with him. First, an Umbreon, followed by his Houndour, and then a Zorua. "Alright you three, behave yourselves. Especially you, Shroud." He pointed his finger towards the Zorua before leaning back against the bench. He watched silently as the three dark types vanished in the grass, rolling in the dirt and playing with each other.

As he sat, Clive would glide his hand back and forth over the messenger bag, which he placed next to him. Unable to help himself, he reached inside, procuring the damaged Pokeball from inside. His thumb carefully traced the gouges across the front as he inspected it, eventually hunching forward to get a closer look. He remained entirely silent as he angled the Pokeball in front of him, watching how the light played around the deep cuts. After several long moments like this, he returned the Pokeball in its place.

He settled for eating his sandwich silently as he resumed watching his Pokemon play, his Umbreon actively taking a leadership role among the three. He would settle them down when things got too rough, or would keep Shroud from wandering too far. After nearly an hour, Clive stood, threw away his trash, and called for his Pokemon to regroup. It was about time he took them home and fed them.

After walking back the way he came, Clive would return to his apartment. He got his Pokemon settled for the night, and changed into more comfortable clothes: a pullover hoodie and his boxers. He settled on his couch, legs crossed, with his laptop in front of him. He spent some time reviewing the files he had gathered earlier that day, organizing his thoughts. After stopping by the station, he might make the trip to Olivine City and begin probe his man. He wrote questions he wanted to ask in a black, spiral notebook. He also scribbled other thoughts and references to other documents as his eyes glanced back and forth between the notebook and the screen.

The time to call it quits for the night came. Clive reached to his laptop and began to close the lid, when he saw a pop-up for an email from Yulia. He clicked and read her brief message. "What?" he wondered aloud, rereading the words. He wondered what lead Yulia to the detention center, when her task was simply to probe the Gym. No wonder she never returned to the station before Clive left. He supposed it was his fault for not contacting her like a good partner should have.

He grew sick at the thought that she might have somehow screwed something up. Did she get as much information as she could have from whoever she spoke with? Did she receive false info to lead them off trail? Clive usually had a nose for such things, but only if he was there, in person, for the interview. Will whoever she spoke with make contact with Phoenix or Avarice? At the very best, he would warn them of Yulia's appearance and to actively avoid her. At worse, they would seek measures to make her information completely worthless, and will find better ways to hide their evidence. "Ah, shit," he sighed, closing his laptop. He wouldn't know the answer to any of these questions until he met with her tomorrow. No point in getting himself worked up about it right now.

He raised an eyebrow quizzically at a strange ghost Pokemon standing behind his laptop. If memory served, it looked like a Mimikyu. "Shroud, what did I say about doing that without permission?" The illusion of the Mimikyu faded, and the Zorua stood in its place, head lowered in disappointment. Clive laughed, petting the small Pokemon before going to bed.

He awoke the next morning rather early, even earlier than normal. His first thoughts echoed the same as what he was fearing the night before after reading Yulia's email. Still, he pushed on through his morning routine, and made his way to the station, messenger bag and hot cup in hand.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yulia awoke to little paws pressing into her cheek. She groggily rolled away, only for her feline friend to follow her, kneading his paws into her chest. "Fritz," she grumbled, pushing the Glameow off. He fell from the bed, gracefully landing on his feet, and hissed at Yulia. That meant it was time for him to eat. Yulia rubbed at her eyes and stared down at her expecting kitty. "You're needier than my ex," she grumbled. Just then, her alarm went off, reminding her of the long day she had ahead of her.

The mirror showed bags she didn't know she had, and as the tired woman finished applying her lipstick, she let out a sigh. She'd stayed up later than expected trying to find more information on Phoenix, but all the newspaper articles and televised programs on him were old and inconclusive. Now she was feeling the effects of her fruitless research. Setting her makeup down, she made her way to the kitchen where her Glameow was still eating, and she made herself a cup of coffee. Today she would talk to Clive about the information she had, but how would she explain her hunches? She didn't want to give away her secret quite so soon, and she reminded herself to be more careful of it so early in her career. For now she would just have to hope he wouldn't ask too much.

The Goldenrod City Police Department opened its doors and welcomed another monotonous day. Yulia walked inside and headed for her desk. She wasn't surprised to see her partner already sitting at his, though there was a new look on his face. He seemed concerned, even panicked, and Yulia wondered if she should approach with caution. She bowed slightly towards him, greeting him with a chipper, "Good morning Mr. Clive." She set her bag down at her desk and rummaged through it for a moment before pulling out a folder filled with papers. "I don't know if you saw my email, but I have some things I think we ought to discuss."

She set the folder on his desk and opened to her handwritten notes. As she pointed to particular parts of her writings, she explained what she had learned, about The Great Revival, about the Pokemon bank larger than expected, about speculations of a deserted island. "I also think he could be hiding in another remote location, like an abandoned woods or a swamp or something of the sort. There are many places across the world where he wouldn't be bothered. Even in my hometown of Snowbelle you could manage to avoid people if you just went hiking through the snow. I think if we found this branch campus it might help us in finding the main campus, and then we could stage a way to take down Avarice once and for all. Or, I think Phoenix is smarter than that, and he probably doesn't enable many people to communicate between campuses. The grunts on the branch campus probably don't even know where the main campus is." She flipped to the last page of her notes, a marked up map of the Jhoto and Kanto regions. "I already jotted down some places I think something like this could be hidden well, but forgive me, I'm not a native of either of these regions and I might be missing several locations. I intend to make the same speculations for other regions too, if given some more time." Notations filled her map, small circles covering forests and caves, with words like "underground?" and "abandoned" marked at certain locations. She'd clearly been busy, but Yulia was painfully aware she was only left with speculations.

Something seemed to occur to her, and she reeled back from the notes. "Oh!" she said suddenly. "Sierra, yes. I asked around at the gym. No one remembers her ever using any psychic-type Pokemon. She hadn't come back to the gym last I checked either, though I can call them shortly and ask again. Do we have any leads on that front?"

~Recruitment Thread~

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

"Good morning, Yulia." Clive looked up towards his blue-haired partner as he leaned back in his chair. After a moment he glanced down at the paper cup that was in his hand. A dark, brown ring was dried at the bottom where the liquid once was. The edges were covered in bite marks, and Clive took a moment to run a thumb across them before setting the cup on a coaster off to the side. "Yes, I did see the email," he responded, drawing a long breath as he watched Yulia present her notes.

He listened carefully as the girl spoke, taking in every word. There was no sense in interrupting at this point, but his face still reflected his reactions as he took in and processed the information. The creases on his forehead deepened at the prospect of what was called "The Great Revival." The concept of the lab that tortured Pokemon through testing bothered him, but it was hardly new news. "You're right, the lesser locations should contain clues as to the location of the main campus. They will also be easier to locate, and ultimately shut down." His hand reached for the damaged Pokeball he had been given the day before, which was resting next to his keyboard. In the same way he felt the bite marks on his cup, he ran his thumb over the scratches on the face of the Pokeball.

With his other hand, he pulled Yulia's map of Kanto and Johto towards him. He pointed to a few locations that he felt they should rule out, or at least place lower priority. "We won't have the time or the resources to check every location," he explained. "Suspect locations near cities we might be able to lean on other PD's, but it will be difficult finding time to search all of these more remote locations. He pointed to one labeled spot, not far from Mahogany Town. "This is near the waterfall that the Gym Leader of Mahogany Town trains at. I doubt he would never have noticed an Avarice facility being built. That being said, we could tell him to keep his eyes peeled."

After expressing his concerns with other locations, he settled for leaning back in his chair once more. He swallowed when Sierra was mentioned. He had nearly forgotten about her himself. "Nothing," he sighed. "That reminds me. There's another inmate that has had association with Phoenix at Olivine Detention Center. Do we know if he and Michael Boston may make contact? Even if we are confident with Boston's information, we don't know where this other inmate's loyalties lie." He produced his own notes form the night before that he had pulled together, and pointed to the picture of the man he was referring to.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

At least this time, her partner seemed to be listening to her. Yulia spoke with a new determination as she explained her notes. Talkative as she was, she was used to people brushing her off, often not paying attention to her ramblings. But Clive showed genuine interest, and though she knew he was interested in the case itself and not what she had done to work towards solving it, a sense of pride still tinted her words nonetheless.

Yulia and Clive worked together to rule out possible locations. She was grateful for his expertise in the area, and soon they had a map with a closer focus. Checking all of the locations now would not take the weeks it might have before. When that was done, they moved onto their next lead: people. Sierra was still a dead end, but this new person... Yulia perked up at the mention of a second inmate. She remained quiet as Clive fetched a photograph, then studied the picture carefully. "I don't recognize him," Yulia admitted. "I can't say whether he and Boston have spoken, but Boston certainly didn't mention anyone else. Did you have a chance to speak with him yet?"

In the back of her mind, a headache softly drummed against Yulia's skull. She didn't know if it had anything to do with the man whose photo she was staring at, but she hoped so. Absently her fingers danced into her purse, to a pack of cigarettes half-empty. She had just clocked in; it was a little too early for a smoke break now. Hopefully the headache would die down soon and she could continue work without too much hassle.

She walked over to her desk, grabbed a pad and pen, and made her way back to Clive. She started writing notes to herself, a list of things that ought to be done. "I can get in contact with the police departments in the areas you suggested," she said, writing down names of towns and villages. "I'll contact Mahogany Town's gym leader too--it was Pryce, wasn't it? That should help us to narrow down where we need to look. Later, if we have time, we can go search some of the nearer locations ourselves." Yulia hesitated, then looked between her own desk and Clive's. "That is, if we haven't got other work we ought to be doing? I'm sorry, I should have checked first."

~Recruitment Thread~

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

"I haven't spoken to him yet," Clive replied. "Like Boston, he too was brought to Olivine on charges unrelated to Avarice, but based on what is known about him I feel that his loyalties lie with Avarice, or at least they did for a time. I truly wish you had consulted with me before questioning Boston on your own. It would have been simple to question the two of them separately, without the risk of them conspiring. Even if Boston was cooperative, there's no telling if he could have been threatened or coerced by others before or after you had spoken to him."

He shook his head calmly when Yulia questioned if there were other things she should be doing before completing her self appointed tasks around Avarice. "This case is my top priority now. If someone has a problem with you aggressively putting this case above all else, then they should have known better than to pair you with me." His head tilted slightly as he spoke, his voice trailing slowly as he seemed to ponder something else as he spoke.

"Call me once you're done contacting the other PD's," he said, standing quickly and beginning to gather his things. "We can check those satellite branches later tonight. It's probably best we go as a pair." He didn't want to mention that he did not want to risk having to battle should they run into any Avarice while scoping out the areas, and he would rather defer his new partner for such tasks. His Pokemon had their talents, but Clive himself was not much of at trainer when it came to battling. "I shouldn't be long."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yulia took her partner's criticism gracefully, though inside she was scolding herself. She couldn't be acting independently, even if her partner wasn't exactly open with her, either. Secrecy would do them no good, and it would result in Avarice getting away with their schemes longer, hurting more people and Pokemon. She'd never forgive herself for that. With promises to check in with Clive more, Yulia ducked back to her desk, her agenda and map in hand, ready to call the departments she'd marked.

But something stopped her. If Clive wanted complete transparency between them, he was going to have a rough time. Yulia's fingers danced at the air above her purse, itching for a cigarette. This mission would be just another thing out of her control. After all, if she spilled all her secrets to Clive, she'd be the one being thrown into prison, perhaps even put to death, without a second thought.

The young detective had to make a conscious effort of removing those thoughts from her head. She absently straightened her pencil skirt and punched a few numbers into her phone, talking to officers at different locations and relaying to them their new tasks. It took her a couple hours to get through her whole list, but she hoped reaching out to so many people would result in something concrete. Crossing out the last destination on her list, Yulia let out a sigh. Glancing at the clock hanging on the wall, Yulia thought she finally deserved her break.

The fresh air did little for her headache. Yulia retrieved a cigarette and a bottle of tablets from her purse. A bad mix, perhaps, but her body was demanding a release, and she was going to get one. Yulia wasn't out long, but as she stood there, watching people and Pokemon bumble about, she thought about Avarice. Would she, with the help of Clive, really be able to stop them? It was a lifelong dream of hers, ever since their foundation, some seventeen years ago. But was it really possible while tricking a seasoned detective and going against what she knew?

Yulia returned to Clive's desk and nodded a greeting. "I've phoned all of the other police departments on our list," she reported. "We ought to head out relatively soon to check the nearby locations. My Pokemon are not meant for the dark, so I'm not sure how helpful I'll be once the sun goes down."

~Recruitment Thread~

The Moonlight Knight
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

After departing form the office, Clive eventually made his way to the Olivine Detention Center, where is partner had ventured to just the day prior. After introducing himself to the keepers running the place, making sure to flash his badge of course, he was able to secure some time with a specific inmate. Of course, arriving at such short notice, special arrangements needed to be made in order for a private interview to take place. Clive was lead to the empty room typically used for visiting hours.

It was a small room, with various small tables and folding chairs hodgepodged together to make for a barely acceptable sitting area. Clive patiently sat himself down on one of the folding chairs, ignoring that it leaned to one side if he shifted his weight the wrong way. He took a look at his Pokegear as he waited, scanning over the screen blankly. How did anybody manage to get by with the old Pokegears? Nowadays, it was like having all the knowledge in the world on a little screen. Back in the day, you barely got... a radio.

Clive's musings were cut short when one of the guards arrived with the inmate. The detective rose, pulling his sleeves up above his elbows. "Tay Breese?"

"The hell are you?"

Clive glanced over to the keeper of the inmate, giving them a nod. The keeper merely nodded back, stepping back towards the door and standing ready in case they were needed. Clive gave the inmate, Tay, a moment to get himself adjusted on the seat across from him before taking a seat himself. "My name is Clive Oiler. I'm a detective with the GRPD."

Tay gave the detective a confused glance, before shaking his head sourly. "You don't look like no detective. Anyway, I don't answer no questions without my lawyer."

Clive quickly interjected. "I'm not here to question or interrogate you. I just want to talk." His eyes aimed at the opposing man's pale forehead, studying the subtle wrinkles there before continuing. "Okay whatever, you don't believe me when I say I just want to talk. This is just a quick interview. You already have your sentence, so it's not like I can arrest you for anything. I'm hoping you can help me with a different case I'm working on."

Those same wrinkles Clive was studying grew deeper as Tay straightened himself. "Fine, what do you want? Whatever it is I got nothing to do with it anyway."

"I appreciate your willingness to help. Let me cut to the chase. I'm working to locate some people in Team Avarice. I was told you have been one the few inmates with outstanding behavior here. So I was wondering if you heard anything from the other guys inside, and maybe you would be able to clue me in."

"What's in it for me?"

Clive sighed. "That's the same thing I would ask. I really think because of the good behavior on your record, I might be able to cut you a deal to get you out sooner. But you have to cooperate. I can't convince anyone you're a good enough person to be let free if I can't prove you're cooperative."

The creases on Tay's forehead were evident again. After a moment of thought, the man shook his head. "I wish I could help, but I didn't hear anything about Team Avarice in here. It's not really a normal thing that comes up in conversation..."

Clive tapped his fingers on the table, repeating the same series of taps twice before halting himself. "That's unfortunate. But, I want you to know I'm being genuine with my offer to help you. If you do h-" He stopped when he heard the sound of the door he came through earlier open. His head turned slightly, as if to look towards the door, yet he stopped himself from turning completely. Instead, his eyes glanced towards Tay. He noted everything he saw in an instant. The way lump of the man's throat moved as he swallowed, the shifting of his eyes as he studied who had just entered the room, the telltale lines of his forehead.

After the brief moment, Clive finally turned his head to find the image of Yulia stepping towards him. "We're going to be late," she snapped, crossing her arms.

"Right." Clive pulled his card from his pocket and slid it towards Tay. "Anything, just let me know. Seriously," he said with a nod.

Tay's gaze shifted between the blue haired woman that entered the room and the detective immediately in front of him. "Sure," he quickly spat. Clive bid his good-byes, prompting the guard to escort the inmate back into the jail. After signing himself out, Clive quickly marched away from the Olivine detention center. Once he and his partner were far enough away from any onlookers, the image of Yulia faded, leaving only a small Zorua behind.

"That was incredible, Shroud." Clive smiled as he glanced down towards his Pokemon. After petting the Zorua's dark fur, he returned it to its Pokeball. The man stood for a moment, reflecting on the image of Yulia crossing her arms and frowning at him for being "late". "I think I like the rude one more."

Clive ventured his way back to the office, eventually meeting back up with the real Yulia. "Let's get to it then," he said in response to her suggestion. "If it gets dark, that will make discreet surveillance even easier and hopefully alleviate any risk that we'll get in any battles. My Pokemon will be able to help us make our way around." He stood up, zipping up his jacket and fluffing up the hood. "I'm guessing the other PD's are able to cover the large cities? You'll have to bring me up to speed on which ones are willing to offer us some coverage. We should focus on the remote areas that won't be covered. I think you had an area of Ilex Forest highlighted on your map."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

As they started out, Yulia was pulling out the map she and Clive had marked up earlier, relaying the information she'd gotten from the phone calls she'd made earlier. Most of the other police departments were willing to help, but some, like those located in large cities, were too busy to lend much aid. Yulia made speculations about these cities, guessing Avarice wouldn't be operating around such large populations of people, but that anything was possible. She mused the entire way to Ilex Forest, laying out possibilities for Clive as much as she was thinking through things for herself.

The sun was setting, but in the forest it already appeared to be night. Yulia looked around at the dark woods, noticing several Pokemon shuffling around. "Celebi is rumored to live here, isn't it?" she asked, the only thing the Kalos native knew about this forest. She softly padded through the grass and was surprised by a Farfetch'd that hopped out of a bush and cawed at her before scurrying off. Yulia remained composed and turned towards her partner. "You don't suppose Avarice would be trying to kidnap a mythical Pokemon like Celebi, do you? I can't really put it past them, but... Poor Celebi." She turned towards the path leading deeper into the forest and shrugged. "I guess the only way to find out is to look for clues."

Yulia removed a Poke Ball from her bag and threw it into the air. Large wings started beating powerfully, and her Braviary emerged with a caw. Valkyrie flew to Yulia and nuzzled her before awaiting orders. "Alright Val," she told him, "we need to look for some clues here, okay?" She looked to the ceiling of trees and wondered just how well her bird Pokemon would be able to see in the dark. "We think Avarice may have connections here, so we're trying to make sure. Let's see what we can find."

Yulia split from Clive and his Pokemon to search the forest faster. The woods were empty except for the wild Pokemon wary of them. Yulia was thankful for that, and she was sure Clive wouldn't have wanted to deal with any people, either. Altogether, they combed through the entire forest, giving special attention to the shrine located in the center. After the fruitless search, Yulia made her way back to Clive. "I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary," she said, though a nearby rustling caught her eye. She looked back to Clive when she realized it was only a dark-colored Pichu scampering away from her intimidating Pokemon. "If you haven't found anything either, we can mark this place off our list." She sighed and turned towards the shrine. "At least they haven't set their sights on mythical Pokemon," she mused. "Yet."

~Recruitment Thread~

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast