Thread: The Mysterious Helper.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default The Mysterious Helper.

It had been several weeks since she'd been whisked away from everything she had known. A magical several weeks.

Katrin still expected it to all be a dream. She was scared she'd wake up and be back in that awful group home. Yet, each morning, it didn't happen. She simply woke up to her beautiful pink haven. Her wand sitting in it's little box, right next to her bed. She'd wake up, and hold it in her hand. Studying it. Like some strange morning ritual. Waiting for the day she'd actually use it.

This morning however was different.

Yesterday, Professor Grimm had left her at home. Had some important things to do in Diagon alley. Not that she minded. In fact, he had offered to let her come along. But, instead, she'd insisted on staying home.

home

She still couldn't get used to that. Having a home.

She'd spent the day tinkering around the house. Playing with K-9 and simply relaxing.

That is, until about lunch time. Stubborn as she was, she'd decided to try to reach for something much too high for her. What it was, didn't quite matter. For, as one would expect, she slipped. Her chair shot back, and she flew forward. Landing on the floor was a thud that echoed throughout the empty house.

It would be several hours before Grimm came home. To discover the girl curled up in her room, crying. She lay on the floor, a blanket and pillow pulled off the bed, and wrapped around her. The blanket did nothing to stop her trembling.

It had taken a long while for the crying to stop. The whole scene breaking the professor's heart. Especially since there really wasn't much to be done. There were spells she could learn, but not until after she'd been to Hogwarts. For now, they'd simply make do.

Katrin had finally fallen asleep in her own bed. K-9 laying next to her, the puppy clearly worried about her.

The next morning, there was a rather strange sounding pop! heard in her room. She wakes up to see a strange creature standing next to her pillow, staring down at her. K-9 sat behind her, growling at him. "Good morning, mistress!!!!!" The creature announced cheerily.

Katrin's response was to scream rather loudly. . .

What is an Angel, without her Wings?

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

Grimm was in the kitchen, fixing breakfast for himself and his ward. The scene from the day before was weighing on him - coming home, to find Katrin on the floor, her chair rolled uselessly away from her across the room. The problem was most frustrating because of it's simple solution - if only he could be permitted to teach her a small bit of magic, to prevent a situation like that occurring again; but since the War of Hogwarts, and the events leading up to it the Ministry of Magic had only grown more militant, and he could not risk Katrin's expulsion before she'd even begun her magical career.

The dog was a start, and at least at Hogwarts he had enough sway to speak on her behalf, and have the guide allowed. But he could hardly be with her every minute, at home, and he was dreading the next time she'd fall. Really, it was incredibly lucky the child hadn't been hurt in the fall. She was his reponsibility, he had to keep her safe! The crack, like the sound of a whip, echoed through the hall and reached his ears. The scream that followed it set his heart racing; had what he had just been fearing come to pass, so quickly?

Caelin abandoned his cooking, racing on long legs through the house to burst into Katrin's room.

"Katrin! Are you alright?! What happen..." his frantic voice trailed off, the Professor's face as shocked as Katrin's own as he surveyed the sight before him.

The girl lay on her bed, K-9 behind her, his hackles up. Grimm would have chided her for allowing the animal on the bed, had the other occupant of the room not been so entirely distracting. Before the girl, a small creature stood; gangly limbs and a small body beneath an overlarge head framed with huge, floppy ears. It's skin was a light pink, like a hairless cat, and it's huge blue eyes were watery, and fixed on Katrin.

Grimm's surprise at seeing a House-Elf in his new daughters' bedroom was quickly replaced by concern, and worry. "Who are you?" he demanded, uncharacteristically harsh. "Who sent you?"

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Click here daily to vote for RPA!

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Hearing Professor Grimm's voice snapped her out of her panic. She bolted up in bed, practically tossing the elf to the floor in her haste to scramble as best she could to the other side of the bed. "W-what is that?!" She demanded, looking from Grimm to the creature, the creature who hadn't yet moved from where he flew.

Noticing Grimm was familiar with. . . Whatever it was, Katrin calmed slightly. "Answer him! Who are you?!" She demanded.

The creature finally picked itself off the floor slowly. Dusting off it's dirty rags worn as clothes. These too were pink. Though, brighter in color than his own skin. But not by much, considering their state. He seemed to ignore Professor Grimm, instead focusing solely on Katrin. "Oslac is a house elf, mistress. Oslac is sent to serve you, mistress. Oslac regrets, he cannot say who sent him. Only that it is someone important to his mistress."

K-9, meanwhile, had followed the elf on to the floor. She sat half way between Grimm and Oslac, growling. Oslac twisted a corner of his rags nervously in his hand, turning his attention between the girl and the dog.

Katrin looked even more confused now. Looking over at Grimm. "But. . . There is no one important to me! I've got no one! Unless. . . ." Her eyes wide, she looked at Grimm. "Is he in case I fall again? Since you can't teach me magic? Did you. . . .?"

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

Grimm's eyebrows were deeply furrowed as he regarded the elf, unsure how to answer his ward.

Oslac regrets he cannot say who sent him. Only that it is someone important to his mistress. The elf's words echoed in his head, and filled him with fear. Could it be? No, there's no way he could know. Grimm reassured himself silently, his head buzzing. Someone knew about her... and the elf called her Mistress.

"He's a house-elf," he answered the part of her questioning that was safe, reluctant to lie and say that he had brought the elf here. "They're magical creatures who serve Wizarding households. Of course, they don't have to anymore. They used to be slaves, essentially. A witch named Hermione Granger fought to gain them rights, in the Wizarding World, so they could have fair working conditions. It's in their nature, though. A lot of them still choose to serve." There was obvious distaste in his voice; he wasn't the kind of man who approved of servants, much less unpaid, unclothed ones.

"I..." he paused again, wondering how best to handle this. He had a quick mind - he knew that there was only one reason the elf would defer to the child. But she didn't know that. And her assumption, though wrong, had made him realise that Oslac could be a help to the girl, make sure she didn't hurt herself when he wasn't there. The elf had said he had orders not to say where he'd come from. Perhaps it could be safe...

"He could watch over you, when I'm not here," he said, not confirming himself as the source of the elf, but not denying it, either. "But he's not a slave, Katrin; as much as he might act like it. Elf magic is old magic; he will do what you ask, but you must respect that responsibility."

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Oslac watched Grimm curiously. As if he knew the wizard. Knew what was on his mind. But, of course he did. He was an old elf. He had lived through the same events Grimm had. He had the same worries the wizard did. He, too, cared about the young girl now watching them. "No, Sir. The one you think of is not responsible for Oslac. He is why Oslac was sent. To keep the mistress safe. Oslac cannot say more sir. Oslac swore! Please don't make him."

Katrin looked even more confused at the elf's statement. "Who professor Grimm? Who is he talking about? Do you know anything about who I am?"

"No! Mistress, no!" The elf looked quite upset. Going so far as to jumping up on the bed in front of the girl. "Mistress must not ask those questions."

Katrin sighs, shaking her head. It seemed many people knew more about her than she did. Still, she didn't press. Both elf and wizard seemed quite concerned. She'd let them keep their secrets. It didn't stop her from wondering.

She listens as Grimm explains about the house elf. When he mentioned the witch, Granger, his eyes lit up. "Granger was a great witch! All elves owe her a great debt!" Still, he shakes his head with a laugh at Grimm's hesitancy at letting the girl use him. "But, Oslac is a servant, mistress. Oslac loves his family. And will serve." He insists, taking katrin's hands into his own. "Oslac will look out for mistress Katrin. Oslac will keep her safe."

Katrin still looked confused. But, she understood what Grimm said. "I won't abuse that, Professor. I promise." She looked at the elf curiously. "I wouldn't know what to do with a servant. . . But, perhaps a friend?"

Oslac's eyes grew big. He jumps up in excitement. "Oslac has never had a friend before! Mistress wants to be Oslac's friend?!" He runs a few laps around the room in excitement. Looking rather ridiculous.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

Grimm instantly regretted having essentially told Katrin the elf could stay as Oslac began to babble, spilling out far more information than the Professor would have liked. Hoping the elfs' mad excitement at Katrin's offer of friendship would be enough of a distraction that she'd forget, at least for the time being, about the rest of his outburst, the man sighed resignedly.

"Very well. He may stay. He'll be helpful, here at home. But Katrin," he looked stern now, and clearly wasn't about to budge on whatever was next from his mouth, "you will not take him with you to Hogwarts. You'll be perfectly safe there, and I don't want you getting reliant on someone doing everything for you. You have to make your own way, at school. That's the only way you'll learn." The last thing he wanted was for her to become spoiled; he would never be forgiven if the child in his care grew up selfish, or cruel.

"Oslac, come with me. I'll give you a tour of the house."

The frantic elf was obviously intuitive - it had seemed to read his mind, a moment ago. Hopefully the creature would read between the lines again, and understand he wished to speak to it in private.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Katrin grinned wide as he said the elf could stay. For his part, Oslac simply straightened his rags and stood still, not saying a word.

Katrin frowned softly at the insistence of Grimm not allowing the elf at Hogwarts. "I understand, professor." She didn't like it, but it did make sense. Besides, so many people there, of course she'd be safe!

The elf nods in understanding at Grimm offering a tour of the house. Katrin nods as well. "I'll be out for breakfast in a little." She said with a smile.

The elf follows Grimm, waiting for the wizard to speak.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

"Right, here's the kitchen, loungeroom," Grimm began, gesturing to the different areas of the house as he walked. When they were far enough from Katrin's door to be out of earshot, he turned to the elf, regarding him seriously.

"I can guess who sent you here," he said, dropping the pretense of giving a tour. "I warned him it was safer not to get involved, but I guess he couldn't help himself. What's done is done, now, but.." he met Oslac's eyes, his expression and tone serious, "Katrin cannot know. Do you understand? If she finds out, now, it will put her in danger. And not just her! You were sent here to protect her, part of that duty will be shielding her from the truth."

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

"Oslac has kept an eye on her since she was a baby! Oslac couldn't help. Wasn't allowed! But, Oslac saw. Saw her crying yesterday. Oslac had to do something!! Master agreed. You can't protect her always. Oslac can! Oslac won't even sleep! Oslac will keep mistress safe. Oslac swears!!!!" His voice becoming shrill the more he spoke. Clearly upset about the whole thing. "Oslac served her mother. Mistress's mother was kind. Mistress looks like her. Oslac won't say a word. Oslac understands!"

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

"Good," Grimm nodded grimly. "The consequences, if you let something slip..." He felt a pang as Oslac reminded him of Katrin's similarity to her mother.

One day, he promised silently, I will be able tell them the truth. It was a promise both to himself, and those it involved. So, the elf would stay. For better or worse. He couldn't help but be touched at the admission the elf had made, of watching over Katrin all these years. He would have done so, himself; but it had been too dangerous, at first. It had pained him, to imagine her growing up, alone. He had hoped she would be adopted, find a nice family to become her own - but people were petty creatures, it seemed. The Muggle world was not his own, anymore - and if it was filled with people who could not see past the physical, to the person Katrin was, then he was glad. What's past is past, he thought, and she has a family now. I could do that much, at least.

"Then you know you must also abide by the rule I set Katrin; you must not go to Hogwarts. If too many people see you, if anyone were to recognise you," he said in a warning tone. The elf would not listen to him, of course. Fiercely loyal creatures, but not always the most tactical. He would have to hope Katrin would abide by his instruction. With a sigh, he returned to the kitchen, to the now burned breakfast he had been preparing; with a wave of his wand, the plates and pots were clean, and he began to cook again.