Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) The Treasure of the Lost Mountains IC (bluemoon x Siks apocy RP) (M)

Red Ninja
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Breathing his first bit of fresh air in what felt like months Jackal simply sat in a breeze for a few seconds as he waited for the rest of the group to leave the bunker. He never much liked being underground, especially for so long. As perfect a new home as the bunker would be he would need to put some sunroofs in or something to keep a breeze going through the structure.

And people Pre-Fire used to choose to stay in places like that or above ground buildings all day everyday. Purposefully spurning the sun and and the sky, he couldn't do it that he was sure of. Still once everyone was out he moved to shut the doors behind them but saw the glint of metal and caught a final glimpse of Gia's strangely maternal face smiling at him in thanks before she pulled the doors shut and he heard the doors seal tight as if all the way was sucked out of the base. He even thought he heard the heavy clunk of the base's generator being shut off, likely to remain off for another two-hundred years.

Maybe if they reached the end and found the Lost Treasure he could use some part of it to allow the robotic matron to leave her tomb and show her mechanical children the light of day. But they would need to find it first, Endver was before them and Ez's words from last night played through the lawman's mind as he kept Vash moving through the ranks checking on everyone, and keeping the agitated Chabbit from bolting off in some random direction. Despite being descendants of rabbits, the Chabbit species has become more like old world buffaloes needing the wide open spaces to run and feed. If they had hung around the bunker for a few more days Vash would've likely lost his mind. And now it was a fight just to keep the pent up energy in check. As they got moving properly though Vash found his rhythm and gave his partner a break at yanking the reins for a few hours. The arrival at the night's camping site was a welcome change for everyone, no sooner had Jackal dropped his gear off by Ez's tent and pulled Vash's saddle off than the big creatures was off like a shot leaving a tall dust trail in his wake. The tall men let out a low chuckle, he knew Vash would stay within shouting distance but he doubted he'd see the beast again that night.

He did a quick once around the camp making sure everyone was settled in before he moved off on his own, the camp had a pool and he knew exactly where he'd find Ezra. Leaving his coat and rifle by the tent he grabbed some alcohol they liberated from the last town and walked up to where she was sitting handing her a bottle studying the walls. "So that's it huh?" He asked simply sipping his drink.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ez nodded, bringing the bottle to her lips and drinking. She studied Jack for a moment, the moon the only source of light other than the fading fire. Reaching out, she touched the side of his face briefly, a soft hum following the action before she set the brandy beside her and resumed her vigil on the wall. A few moments passed without sound or movement, then she shifted, clearing her throat. "It's not like it was...it's bigger...better fortified," she said breaking the silence. "Not sure if that is good...or bad. Too many ghosts behind those walls either way."

Bending forward she reached for her boots, unlacing them before kicking them aside. She stood to slip out of her pants, her jacket falling into the heap next. Dressed only in her black tank top and underwear, she moved towards the water. "I'm going to get wet. Care to join me?" she asked, slipping into the cool water and wading to the deeper area. She dunked her head under, running her fingers through her hair when she resurfaced to push it off her face. "It's cold," she exclaimed with a laugh, rubbing her arms for warmth. "Where's the darn cowboy when you need him?"

--------------

The light from the campsite's fire did not go unnoticed from the hilltop's watch tower, the guard calling the alarm when it was first lit. A tall, thin, man in his late sixty's approached the uniformed man and spoke quietly to them, his thinning gray hair greased back from his forehead severely. He wore a white robe edged in black, a gold cross on a thin chain around his neck the only adornment. His dark eyes were alert, the calculating mind behind them still sharp. He nodded as the guard spoke, never taking his attention away from the man until footsteps came up behind him.

"Aidan..." he said as he turned in greeting, his thin lips lifting into a smile. "I was just going to have someone get you. Seems we have...visitors. If it pleases you, I will have them brought around in the morning? Or perhaps a little later?" He took the younger man's hands in his own gnarled ones, lowering his head with respect. "Of course, we could collect them now as well."

"Tomorrow is fine Theo...I will set plans for their arrival after breakfast." The man referred to as Aidan paused, his mind already going over the meal they would prepare. Guests were not frequent and he wanted to make sure they felt welcomed...as long as they were deserving. He dropped his hands, wiping them against his pressed denims without thought. "Make sure the guard is doubled tonight. I don't want any surprises. ...and make sure we have enough staff tomorrow...can't be too gracious." He smiled in anticipation of the next morn...it would be a glorious day indeed. "...oh...and Theo...I will hold you personally responsible for our guests tomorrow. Don't disappoint me."

As the younger man turned his back, Theophyllis frowned, his focus now back on the wall. He twisted his hands together, his eyes narrowing and his teeth grinding together. A shudder ran through him, then he let his arms drop to his sides. "Tell me...what did you see?" he asked again as though there had been no interuption. As the guard described the travellers, the old man's lips lifted into a grin, his yellowed teeth exposed. "Lovely..." he said, a hint of humor on his lips. "Be sure to wake me if there is anything new to report. I will put in a good word for you for a job well done." He clapped the man on the shoulder before turning...following the path the leader of the town had taken only a few moments before.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The cowboy chuckled undressing and slipping naked into the water. Underwear wasn't something he invested in and he knew what Ezra was hinting at so being naked would be the only end result. The shock of cold made him shiver for a second or two before his body adapted and he dove under the water letting the shock full awaken him. He popped back up besides Ezra chuckling. "You rang?" He pulled her close his hands slipping under the woman's tank-top.

~~~~~~~~

Word spread quickly throughout Endver. Visitors were such a rare treat in the small hilly town, women and small children whispered among themselves. There was no description of the visitors aside from some women and some men, but one man was very tall and wore a priest's shirt and one of the women had an intricate tattoo on her back.

While those details would go over the head of most people. One woman, a dark skinned woman who looked to be around Ezra's age maybe a little younger. Concerned filled her face as she looked down at her daughter, the girl's eyes were listless and her small shoulder hung limply from her frame. "You picked a bad time to come back Ez." She whispered under her breath as she scooped the almost lifeless body of her child up carrying her home. She needed to go warn them.

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

With a light laugh, Ezra's mouth found his and she kissed him deeply, pressing herself against him as her hands explored his body. She never tired of his sculpted physique and the unique landscape etched there. Becoming a bit more intimate, she leaned close to his ear, her breath hot against his nape. "I did...ring..." she murmured, "...and like a good boy, you came." Her breath carried the scent of brandy, the strong liquor holding a hint of blackberry. "Maybe we should just forego the tent and sleep under the stars tonight. It's a clear night...and I'd like to keep my eye on the wall." She wrapped her arms around his waist, letting her hands fall lower as she sighed softly. "Afterwards...of course. First I want to keep my eyes on you."

----------------

The antics of the two lovers was in clear view from the wall's tower, the guard stifling a laugh as he watched them fondling each other in the dark. He had already sent for Theophyllis, having discerned the identity of the tall stranger as being none other than the famed gunslinger Jackal Lawless. The man's history not one to trifle with, he was sure the preacher would want to fortify the cells if the bastard was coming for a visit. The woman had been a resident of Endver once, having escaped its walls many years ago...before the guard was born. But he had been schooled on who she was by his senior co-worker--the woman's tattoo the identifying mark. It had been inked many years after her departure, but news traveled quickly when it was paid for by the town's leaders. There was little they did not know about the current...and previous...residents. So little had changed over the years, the walls might have grown taller, but the evil inside remained the same. Jeffries rolled himself a cigarette and lit up, drawing the smoke deep into his lungs as he waited. His binoculars were lifted to his eyes again, a smile surfacing on his rugged, yet scarred, face. He could only hope the two decided to take their little fun out out of the water, so his view would be a little more interesting.

Preoccupied, the guard did not notice the slender female form hugging itself to the rocks just below him. There was more than one way to enter...or exit...the town, if one was aware of the secret passages through the rock. Rebecca was one such person, and after tucking her daughter into bed, she had crept towards the tunnels, passing by the underground hot spring, then the empty dungeon, the soldiers on watch playing a hand of cards with their backs turned. It seemed luck was on her side. All she had to do now was avoid detection from the wall...then she could warn Ezra-Rayne of the dangers that still lurked within them.
    Last edited by bluemoon; 08-24-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Moving as slowly and quietly as she could Rebecca made her way to Ezra's campsite. It wasn't easy avoiding the ever watchful eyes of the wall guards. But she was one of the Scav teams so knowing the terrain and how to hide from the mutated beasts who prowl the wastes looking for easy meals was a skill she had earned over the years.

The night air was still and hot causing her to moving even slower to avoid kicking up a dust trail behind her. She lost track of time simply focusing on getting to Ezra to warn her. But it was well after midnight before she reached the perimeter of the camp. Surprisingly the guards around the camp all looked to be young kids. Still they seemed to be trained because they stopped her before she was even made herself known as she moved around the back side of the camp away from the guards on the walls.

A young man with short red hair leveled an old shotgun her way. "Hold up who's out there?!"

Lifting her hands up Rebecca stepped into the ring of firelight. "My name's Rebecca, I'm an old friend of Ezra's. I have something important to tell her."

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Laying under the stars on the collection of furs she and Jackal had appropriated from the Salt gang, Ezra looked up at the sound of a potentially intense discussion coming from the main camp area. Scantly dressed after her time in the water with the gunslinger, she slipped quickly into her clothes and strapped on the sheath containing her sword, leaving the rest of her weapons behind. It had been a while since she had used the blade, but she still liked to keep it close, the sharp instrument still the most comfortable in her grip. She paused only long enough to look down at the gunslinger.

"I'll be right back...going to see what the commotion is all about."

She did not wait to see if he would follow, but expected to hear his footfalls behind her at any second. She smiled to herself, taking long strides to close the distance quickly, but she was still no match for his long legs if he chose to catch up. Her hand went to her weapon as she neared...but something about the stranger struck her as...familiar. She caught the last few words of the discussion, and although it had been more than twenty years, the woman's voice made the breath catch in Ez's throat. It was deeper...and a bit rougher...but still recognizable.

"Becca?" the scavver asked, stopping dead in her tracks. Ez didn't have a lot of friend's when she was a child, but Rebecca Carver was one of them, the two of them inseparable...at least until Ez had left with her family. She hadn't thought of her childhood companion in a long time...

There was a moment of awkwardness...Ziggy looking from one woman to the other before finally deciding to lower his rifle...and then the two women hugged...fiercely. Tears filled Rebecca's eyes as she pulled away, holding Ez at arm's length, a sad smile on her haggard face.

"Ezra...there is so much I need to tell you...but...there is no time. It will be only a short while before I am missed...and I can't take that risk. My daughter..." She looked to the gates, reassuring herself she was not in plain view of the guards before she continued. "You have to turn back. Endver is not safe..." Her gaze shifted to the tall man approaching behind her friend, her eyes going wide and her hand instinctively moving to her side...to the gun which rested there.

"Is that...Jackal Lawless?" she asked in awe, her hand refusing to budge...unsure if there was a threat she had not anticipated. "Is he with you?"

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal heard the same discussion as Ezra did. He pulled his pants and boots on but forwent his shirt and simply shouldered his rifle easily following the smaller woman. He had been expecting someone to come out and see them since he saw the guards along the wall eyeing them up.

Ezra had filled him on some of the things they could come to expect once they got into the town proper. Qurentine, questioning, potential disarming. But as he moved behind his lover his dangerously steady eyes staring unwaveringly at this new woman this "Becca" she was a friend of Ezra, so that was enough to keep him from aiming his rifle at her. But past experiences have taught him friends can betray just as easily as enemies. He would let Ez handle this, but he would still not at the woman's question letting his flat voice speak volumes. "Yes."

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Default Co-post--Moon and Siksta

Ezra turned at Jackal's voice, moving away from Becca to come to his side, her allegiance obvious by her action. She lightly put her hand on his arm, her eyes meeting his for just a moment before she returned her focus on the dark-haired woman that stood before them. There was more than one reason for her touch...the most important being her claim on him...just in case...and the other to affirm her control of the situation.

She offered a slight smile, nodding towards the vigilante. "Jackal is actually the reason I am here. I'm his guide...and we are scavving. Hoping to pass through and continue on to the other side of the mountain."

Becca's hand dropped to her side, away from her weapon, although she kept her gaze on the tall gunslinger. "Scavving…" she repeated, the word tasting foul...like a lie...even if she knew that was Ez's reputation. "Long way to come just for some artifacts...but that is beside the point. This is the wrong path to take. You must find another way."

It was difficult, but Rebecca pulled her attention away from the intimidating man...addressing Ezra. "You know how it was...back then...when we were kids. Little has changed. And Atonement is only two days away. You will no longer be exempt..." She briefly glanced at Jackal before continuing...wondering just how much he knew. "Theophyllis will consider you a member of the town. ...and despite his age, he still has a lot of influence."

It was Ezra's turn to look at Jackal, her expression showing concern, although she tried hard to hide it. She bit into her lower lip then sighed, turning to look at the tall gates. "We won't be there in two days. Just a quick pass-through for supplies." She wondered who this Theophyllis was...but was afraid to ask...her stomach already churning as a sick feeling settled in her chest.

"We need to discuss this...Jackal and I. Can you wait?"

Becca nodded hesitantly. "Maybe for a few minutes..."

-------

As Ezra laid her hand upon his arm the vigilante relaxed, resting his rifle in the crook of his arm while he listened to the womens' exchange. It didn't sound good and if this Rebecca's nervousness was any indication, this place was turning into another Cannibal Village. But they also didn't have much of a choice unless they lucked out and found some trader out here just as mad as they were.

When Ezra asked to speak with him privately he nodded and began moving back towards the pool and their discarded clothes dressing himself the rest of the way. "So what's our plan here Ezzy?"

She responded with a shrug, sighing as she looked to him. "I don't know...we need supplies...and I think we can get in and out quickly if we plan it well. I'm just not sure how bad it really is. Becca seems spooked, but I don't know. Maybe she is over exaggerating...or even a bit rad-crazed? It's been a lot of years and people change. Places change. How could it be the same? I can't imagine things would have continued in the same fashion." She glanced at Becca as she worried at her lip again.

"If she is right and it is too dangerous to go inside, then what are our options? There are no other towns close by and going around Endver will be tricky. The trail ends at its gates, which means climbing the mountain side...which we cannot do with the wagon or horses. The only other option is to go back and look for another path...and I don't know of any off hand."

She focused solely on Jackal now, trying to read him and ignore the anxious feeling in her gut. "I'm not sure how to proceed...but ultimately it is your decision. Whatever we have become along the way is incidental. This journey is yours. Going through Endver might be our only choice, but you have to decide."

Jackal hmmed softly picking up his canteen and taking a long pull of it. Swishing the drink around his mouth for a few seconds before swallowing it. Recapping the top he chuckled wryly. "This hasn't been just my journey for a long while Ezzy. We have something of a family here now, damn near all of your original crew has either died or left. It's just us and some ragtag kids now, one who is actually your child. I couldn't do this by myself, sheer grit and an unwillingness to die only got me so far in this search. Maybe we just send me, you, and Sammy in to get the supplies? Your friend might be rad-crazed or something, but she's taking a big risk coming out to see us if half of what she said is true. That lend some credibility I think."

Ezra nodded, smiling inwardly at his reference to them being a family of sorts. She felt the same, but was not about to admit it, at least not first. No matter what he thought though, this was his journey, not one she would have ventured to on her own. Sighing, she looked over at Becca, seeing the woman's agitation as her gaze kept shifting to the gate.

"You're right...she is taking a risk. I only wish she had more time...I'd really like to know the details of what is going on inside. Maybe we could help." Ezra knew that wasn't a possibility if they planned to get in and out quickly....and even though Becca had only given them a small amount of information, it was enough for Ez. No delays. She nodded again. "Okay...the three of us will go first...and if it seems safe, we can bring the others in. Deck can stay behind to keep watch over the others."

Having made her decision, Ez was about to head back over, but Rebecca beat her to it, arriving at the side of the scavver and vigilante only a heartbeat later.

"I have to get back," she said nervously, "...the guards are starting to make preparations...for something. Most likely to head out here, so whatever you decide, you better do it quick. If you choose to enter the gates, keep aware and never let your guard down. Nothing is as it seems." She reached out to Ez, giving her another quick hug, then nodded to Jackal. "Stay safe."

And then she was gone, slipping into the shadows the rocks provided as she made her way home.

Jackal watched her go and hmmed softly. "Less is more, will probably be best, same with leaving Deck here, also might be good to send the rest of the crew back a bit away from the walls. " He turned and looked at the walls seeing the guard moving along the wall. The hair rose up on the back of his neck and his hand tightened around the stock of his rifle already drawing up some kind of plan in his mind.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Default Co-post--Siks and Moon--the past revisited

Once Becca disappeared from view, Ezra laid her hand on Jackal's arm, giving him a nod before she turned away and went to talk with Deck, the man sitting quietly on his bed roll near the wagon. It was obvious he had been listening in on the conversation and when she mentioned moving the group down the mountain a bit, he agreed quickly, saying he thought it was the wisest choice. The cook didn't waste any time as he gathered up his belongings and started waking the others, Ez following him to Sammy's sleeping place.

In the short span of ten minutes, Ez had Sammy and herself ready for the excursion up the pathway to the gates. She had both her sword and pistol with her, not sure which weapon would be more useful. The two of them joined the gunman, the sound of the gates opening in the distance drawing their attention a moment later.

A small band of four guards on horseback started heading their way at a casual pace and Ez let out an uneasy sigh. "I think we should try to meet them further out...get some distance between us and the camp. Four men isn't enough to cause much trouble...perhaps they are coming peacefully. Don't want to be wrong though...so let's get a move on."

Jackal nodded in agreement, but the sound of running feet behind them made the tall man half turn and reach for his sidearm, but a small chuckle parted his lips as he saw Matches galumping up behind them carrying his long rifle and sawed-off shotgun. The boy and Sammy had gotten very close since the Cannibal town and Jackal couldn't fault him for wanting to stay close to her. Word had gotten around their small camp and all the kids were on edge, so leaving with Deck was a good plan to them. But Matches was never a runner, he got his nickname from playing with fire for goodness sake. Not a wholly smart boy, but he had a mule like stubbornness about him. Besides another gun he could trust at his back was always a boon.

Sliding up besides Sammy the boy and girl shared a smile and clasped hands walking closely behind Jackal and Ezra. The man let out another chuckle and cradled his rifle in his arm watching the guards approach--wiping his face clean he put on his usual stoic and dangerous stare watching every move the men made.

---------

As the horsemen neared, the lead guard raised his hand in a wave, signaling for the others to halt as he waited for the outlanders to close the remaining distance. He dismounted to address them, keeping his hands out in front and away from his weapons. His smile was open and friendly as he appraised the small group, finally stepping forward and nodding his head to each.

"Welcome to Endver...I have been instructed by Theophyllis, our spiritual leader, to escort you inside for our customary...and informal...meet and greet. I trust you are hungry?"

Ezra stepped forward, and after a brief glance at the posture of the mounted men before her, she walked up to the guard that had spoken to them. Dressed in a red and white uniform with black trim, the man appeared the picture of cleanliness and health. She stared, appraising him openly while chewing on her lower lip. A click of her tongue followed as she considered the offer.

"Seems good enough to me. I assume it will not be a problem if the rest of my crew stays behind? Just us four will go inside. Looking to do some trading if all goes well."

"Of course. No problems there," he replied, a smile still gracing his lips, although it was faltering. He assessed her in much the same manner as she had him, his eyes narrowing slightly. "If you don't mind me saying," he added, "...you look awful familiar."

Ezra laughed lightly. "You don't say?"

Turning around, she joined back up with Jackal, the slightest shake of her head indicating her unease. "He's lying...he's got an tic. Every time he talks..." Her voice drifted off as she spun on her heel, the three other horses now facing the gates as the lead rider mounted his steed.

Jackal nodded at Ezra as he got that vibe too.

"Just follow us in," the lead rider called once he had turned his horse. "You can keep your weapons...we just ask that you not unholster them. There will be no trouble for you inside."

While Jackal wouldn't unholster his pistol, he'd for damn sure keep his hand on it. Like the Cannibal town, this place made the lawman uneasy. The guards.. or who he assumed to be guards seeing as they all wore the same uniform as the riders, were all above the people walking along a strange network of ramparts and cat walks that crisscrossed above and between the houses. The people walked with their heads downs and feet shuffling quickly around, flinching if even the shadow of a guard went over them.

This was a place of oppression and needed to be burned down.

-----

After their arrival inside the gates, Ez and the others were led inside a large pavilion. The covered area was open on three sides with a large ornate building in front of them, reminiscent of a church, with stained glass windows and a double set of oaken doors situated in the middle. It was close to this structure that they were asked to wait, and after a few moments a robed priest-like figure pushed the doors open and emerged.

As Ez watched him approach, she froze, her heart starting to race as she narrowed her eyes, a low groan escaping her. Involuntarily she took a step back...and for the first time in a long while, she wished Gabe was by her side...one signal from her and the grizzled old man would be lying in his own blood. She thought to reach for her weapon, but she was a moment too late, her right hand suddenly clasped in the robed man's slender ones, his wizened blue eyes staring into her hazel ones.

"Ezra-Rayne Bastian...as I live and breathe. I never thought to lay my eyes on you again. So lovely you have become." The man's voice was raspy from too many years puffing at a pipe, but the joy in his tone seemed genuine, a smile parting his lips as he tried to move closer.

Ez reacted instantly...pulling back and jerking her hand away with a sound of revulsion. "Dead....you...you're su...supposed to be dead..." she stammered, her eyes shifting to Jackal. This was so much worse than she could have imagined.

"Jack?" It was more a statement than a question, but Ez did not have a chance to finish her thought before another man, this one closer to her age and dressed smartly in pressed pants and a cotton shirt, pushed through the doors, the expression on his face one of amusement. He walked quickly to the two, hoping to quiet the animosity before it got out of hand.

"Theo...my good man..." he began, clicking his tongue as he put his hand on the priest's arm. "I had hoped you would have waited for me...even so, it appears you are needed elsewhere...let me talk to our guests...I believe breakfast is about to be served. Perhaps you can assist?" He nodded lightly, watching as Theo left the area with his lips tightly pressed together. It was obvious the priest was upset at his dismissal, but he ignored it, turning back to the group with a false smile on his lips.

"It seems we got off on the wrong foot. Please...let's start again...there is no need for worry. Theo is...for the most part...harmless."

-----------

Jackal gripped Ezra's hand, pulling her close and slightly behind him as the creepy old man came and greeted her. It was obvious they knew it each and it was also obvious this wasn't what Ezra expected to see. He let out a low growl and motioned for Sammy and Matches to get close behind him as well. If all hell broke loose, he would have the best chance at fighting the guards off or at the very least be a good bullet sponge.

The man was already coming up with some kind of escape plan. Hopefully they could grab their supplies and get out of here quickly. Looking towards their new greeter he stared into the man's eyes noting his fake smile, but unlike most people the man held his gaze for a minute or two before causally turning away and leading them into the building.

Once inside the main hall, the well-dressed man faced the small group, a long table dominating the space behind them. Food was being set out by several women and their host waited patiently as they went about their work, only speaking once they were alone.

"You are hungry I hope? Breakfast will be served shortly." He spoke as though all was well, ignoring the vigilante's protective stance in front of the others and the stony stare. He had dealt with this type before...just a matter of showing them there was nothing to fear. Not an easy task when Jackal Lawless was in the house...but his confidence did not falter. "I really can't express how sorry I am about Theo...I was hoping to keep him in the background until I had a chance to speak with you Ezra." He smiled at her, this time the expression genuine. "I don't suppose you remember me? Aidan Bishop?"

Ez looked at him closely, the name familiar but the man not fitting her memory. When she didn't answer, he chuckled lightly. "Not surprising...I keep my hair short to control the curls...and I have trimmed up a bit. But never mind that...the four of you must be fed before we can conduct any business. Kind of a tradition around here...never let a guest leave with an empty stomach." He chuckled again, then pointed to the side. " There is a wash room down the hall where you can get cleaned up...changed...whatever suits you. Just meet back up here and we can discuss your trade...but after food."

As their host turned away, Ezra shook her head, feeling a bit confused, but more at ease. She did know Aidan...they had lessons together years ago...along with Becca. ...and he had been one of her friends. But a lot of time had gone by, and the shy boy she had known then did not resemble this man in appearance or manner. Either way, she would have to talk to him about the priest...

"Let's just get this over with," she said to the others as they headed down the hall. She had remained close to Jack the entire time, accepting his protection without a second thought. She offered a forced smile, still trying to ease her nerves. "Eat, trade, out." ..and talk....she added in her head...cause if she had anything to say about it, Theophyllis would not be standing when she once again passed through the gates of Endver.

Jackal sighed lightly looking back at Sammy and Matches. The pair were on edge as well and looking towards him and Ezra for guidance. It wasn't like him to relax when danger was obviously in the air, no his response to danger has always been show of force and force the shadows into the light so he knew who to kill first. But now...he hesitated...he broke the habit of hesitating years ago or he thought he did. Had being around Ezra made him soft? In such a short time no less, was he falling back into the trap that nearly killed him? His lonely heart making his defenses soft for someone to enter? No this was different...Ezra was different. He knew it, but old habits die hard. Still he would try for her and the kids.

Matching Ezra's forced smile he nodded. "Yes, in,out, gone." With that he began washing his hands telling him to trust Ezra's instincts over his own.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default wake up little Suzie!

Ezra awoke to the sound of a whisper...her name...spoken softly by a disembodied voice. Her head was pounding, eyes tightly squeezed shut, her tongue feeling swollen with a heavy covering of cotton. She swallowed hard, her memory of the morning just out of reach...where was she? So cold.

Breakfast. That was what she was searching for...they had all been sitting down to eat...nerves on high tension...but it seemed to be going well. Small talk...her mention of traveling with her family...her husband and daughter...Jackal and Samantha...with the addition of Matches...a close friend of Sam's. She had picked at her food...but the coffee was hot...and she drank more than her share.

Then nothing...but waking up here...the hard surface beneath her sending a chill throughout her body. She didn't have to open her eyes to know she had been stripped down to just her underclothes, but she opened them anyway, squinting against the light filtering in through the church windows. Aidan stood before her, the hint of a smile on his lips as he saw her look at him.

"I knew you would be first. All those years of poisoning your body with the evil of the bottle made you stronger...more resistant to the drug. It is good that you are awake Ezra-Rayne. We have so much to discuss. I am sorry it had to be this way...but you must understand our hesitance. Jackal Lawless' reputation precedes him...can't be too careful when such a threat comes to call."

As she shifted, trying to sit, he put a light hand on her shoulder, keeping her down. "You must lie still...at least for a bit more...let your head settle. I promise you everyone is safe...and will remain so as long as an agreement can be reached. Do you understand?"

Ezra nodded, putting her head back down on the pew and wrapping her arms about her for warmth.

"You're cold," he said, his voice lacking in sympathy. "Another thing that could not be helped. Couldn't have you hiding a weapon and using it against us. But all that is behind us. What I need now is your cooperation. I will have clothing brought to you...and some water. Then, we will have our talk."

As he rose, Ezra watched him closely, tracking his movements with her eyes. There was an exit at the front of the church...as was another figure...the barely shifting body of a young woman with blonde hair. But no others...Jackal and Matches were missing.

As Aiden walked slowly past, the blond figure shifted quickly from her spot, a tangled mess of hair spilling out in silhouette as vomit shot out across the aisle, almost splashing upon the man's shoes. But he quickly side-stepped, a hand coming up to his mouth in disgust as he watched Sammy throw up all the contents of her stomach from today and yesterday. It only lasted a few seconds, and soon to follow, Sammy's pathetic moans while she panted lightly.

Aiden let out an annoyed hiss and quickly backhanded Sammy, sending the young girl flopping across the dirty floor. "Filthy whore, just like your 'Mother'." He sneered wiping some puke off his shoe before he walked down the opposite hall. The young woman let out a few pitiful cries curling in on herself some and holding her face. "Mom?" The young woman wept, her bearings not quite regained yet as she groped around on the dark church's floor.

The sounds of some kind of shackled beast suddenly roared up from the hallway Aiden had vanished down.

------------

Ezra managed to get to her feet when Sammy called to her...too late to thwart the attack on her daughter...but soon enough to cringe at the howl from afar. She paused, her hand clenching the wooden back of the pew in front of her, her body shaking with the effort. "Jackal," she whispered, her throat too dry to produce more than a hint of sound. Her body broke out in goosebumps, more from the chill of the scream than the cold. Her eyes closed and she took in a deep breath, her resolve to help her only child the only thing she could accomplish right now.

Dropping to her knees, Ez wrapped her arms around Sammy, rocking her, the motion soothing her and hopefully the young woman as well. She ran her hand along the blonde tresses, her voice too raw to attempt speaking again. There was enough light to see only the faintest of details, but the scavver could determine where the bastard had gone...a darkened doorway that could only lead to where the sound had echoed from.

Sammy clung to Ez's bare shoulder, tears streaming down her face. Like the older woman she was stripped down to her underwear. She regretted wearing her nice clothes to the town in an attempt to "dress up" and make a good impression. She'd heard about the town in Outpost 4 and even talked to some johns who had came from that way.

But none of them said anything about people being drugged or women being drugged and stripped of their clothing. It took the girl a few minutes but she soon regained her composure, wiping the leftover vomit from her mouth and wiping the residue across an old ratty pew cushion. "What the hell is going on mom? Did these freaks drug us? Where are our clothes?" Her voice quieted a small twinge of fear creeping into her voice some of the old horrid memories from her life before this trip creeping back. "Wh-what are they...gonna do to us?"

-----------

A light chuckle...and the crackling noise of an electrical charge being ignited...

"Now...now....don't tell me that hurt...a big strong man like yourself. Just wanted to make sure you were awake...and that our shackles were holding you."

Aidan moved around the vigilante, the man's body secured to the bars. He kept his distance, a four foot pole held out before him. It was little more than a cattle prod, but the shock it delivered was painful...especially when administered to an unaware victim.

"Your little wife and I...we're going to have a little chat later...so much catching up to do. Won't do for her to lie to me...nor you...but I am sure you will see that soon enough. Now...why don't you tell me why you are really here?"

"Always trust your gut boy. It'll never fuck you over." His grandfather's words were kicking their way through all the warm and fuzzy trust he had built up around Ezra's words over his own instincts. Another woman nearly gets him killed, because he lowered his guard.

If he was out here alone he never would've fallen for this. He would've gotten what he needed and been gone within an hour. Out here you can ignore politeness and many of his past dealings were done with with weapons drawn. As the cattle prod impacted his scarred side the lawman simply let out a hissing snarl, more in annoyance than pain. Pain was an old friend of Jackal and these pompous fucks had never dealt with someone of his pain tolerance.

As the pain faded and the prod was pulled back Jackal groaned glaring at the two men. He could see Matches chained up to the wall in his peripheral. The young man was shirtless as well, but looked mostly unconscious. With any luck the young man would stay blacked out, he had talked with the boy a few times. He was one of the guards for the Liberty so was fed better food than human flesh all the time, but Lawless knew he didn't have the tolerance to endure torture.

The man grunted speaking through clenched teeth. "We need supplies, nothing more."

"Supplies?" This time it was the older man that spoke, his robes shifting slightly as he cocked a brow at the scarred man. "Seems a long way to come just for provisions...unless we are just a stop along the way?" The priest-like figure moved in a little closer, inspecting the cross-work pattern on the outlaw's skin with unveiled interest. "Just where are you headed Lawless? Bringing a scavver along means you either are shagging her...or you are searching for something...special? Or...perhaps both?" He took the prod from Aidan and shoved it hard into Jackal's chest, sending another shock through him.

----------------

Ez did what she could to quiet Sammy's distress, continuing the soothing motions while trying to listen for any further noises from behind the door. Not knowing the fate of Jack or Matches was putting her further on edge...and the guilt that accompanied it was only making matters worse. They could have turned back...taken Becca's advice and never walked through the gates in the first place...found another way across. So many options...and she has chosen the most vile of them.

Shaking her head in frustration, Ez tried to remain calm for her daughter's sake. "I don't know what's going to happen Sam," she said in a strained voice. "...but we are alive...so there is hope." She cleared her throat, helping Sammy to her feet so the two of them could sit down.

"We were drugged...but I think mostly so they could take away our weapons...the same reason our clothes are gone. Whatever their plan is for us, we will get through. You have to be strong...no matter what." She tucked a strand of the girl's hair behind her ear then pulled her in close, her lips lightly brushing against Sammy's skin.

"We will get out of here," she whispered, "...I just need some time to work out a plan. Just like with the salties...we will be victorious...no matter the sacrifices." Pulling away, Ez squeezed the girl's hands in hers, a heavy sigh escaping her. Be strong, she mouthed, then turned in surprise as an older woman entered the church.

Sammy flinched as the large door opened, but her mother's comforting words and presence had calmed the scared young woman down some. Wiping her eyes and nose on her forearm she studied the new woman. "Ok *sighs* ok. Pulling back a little Sammy put on as brave a face as she could trying to breath in some of her mother's courage and confidence that the teen just lacked in spades.

-----------

Another enraged howl ripped from Jackal's lips and despite himself his body pulled hard away from the prod the erratic movement causing just the slightest crack to form in the old and rusted rail above his head that held his binds. Even nearly foaming with rage he saw his chance, but not yet. He heard the stirrings of Matches besides him, the boy was finally coming around. It would be a few more minutes or so before he was able to be of use.

So with deeply gritted teeth Jackal glared daggers at his tormentors. There was no way he was going to tell these bastards about the Treasure of the Lost Mountain. Whatever it was they would destroy and pervert it. It was too important to the greater good to let that happen. Once the cattle prod was moved away he panted heavily shaking sweat from his eyes. "We are simply exploring...mapping the...wastes...for..some politician in Carousel. He wants it...to make himself...look like a better...candidate for mayor or some shit."

The old man watched Jackal closely, enjoying the discomfort they were causing. He maintained a neutral expression, only allowing the slightest smile when the vigilante offered his answer.

"You must think us fools...but of course we have not impressed upon you the necessity of honesty." He pulled a cloth-wrapped item from a pocket of his robe, revealing a book that only a few would recognize. From its pages he removed a map, turning it to the shackled man with malice in his eyes.

"I believe this is something of value to you? I lost a man procuring this...but...everyone has lost someone. Isn't that so?" He tapped his foot lightly, bringing the prod up in a wide arc then striking Jackal across his ribs. "I am stronger than I appear lawman...and I will beat you down until you beg to kiss the ground I walk on." He barely gave Jackal a chance to take another breath before he struck again.

Without looking, Theophyllis passed the weapon over to his younger accomplice, opening the book he held in his hands once they were free. "Such lovely handwriting...a woman's I believe. You lost your entire family...didn't you...all because of a girl. Another whore...just like all women." He tapped his finger on one of the pages, silently mouthing the passage as a smile came to his grizzled face. "I have a small collection of bibles...this one will look nice on my shelf, don't you think Aidan?"

As the old man opened the bible, a low bestial growl emanated from the lawman's throat. His muscles tensed up, and the old pipe groaned as he pulled on the cuffs. These men had no clue who they were fucking with, but he'd damn well show them. Matches let out a frightened gasp as he came fully awake. The false men of cloth both smirked and looked at the young man eager to have a new plaything. Jackal let out a roar and snapped the pipe over his head before he lunged forward tackling Theo, actually smashing him through the rickety bars of the prison and knocking him out. And before Aidan could react Jackal was upon him, his quick moving fist smashing into the younger priest's face. Jackal felt the nose crumbling under the force, flooring the bastard flat onto his back.

The commotion would surely bring the guards. Moving quickly he ripped the keys off Aidan's belt and unlocked Matches cuffs. "Wake up boy we don't have a lot of time." As he turned to Theo, he had a split decision to make. He might've been able to grab both his bible and the map, but it would be harder to hide the bible, and just in case he died here he wanted Ezzy and the others to be able to continue on to the Lost Mountains. So he grabbed the map and shoved it into the groggy young man's hands, picking him up and nearly shoving him down the hallway to where he hoped Ezra and Sammy were. "Take this map, find the girls, get the fuck out of here!" Jackal stepped out into the hall and saw the bobbing shadows of the guards as they came running towards him and the two unconscious town leaders.

-----------

Ez relaxed as soon as she saw what was in the new arrival's hands. Clothing...and the promised pitcher of water. The elderly woman did not lift her eyes to the two women, merely setting the items down before them, then quickly shuffling away. Grabbing at the clothes, Ez groaned to herself as she examined them, offhandedly pushing one of the dresses to Sammy. They had been chosen with care, the material of the bodice stretchy enough to fit almost any figure...and with defining precision. Grumbling with displeasure, Ez slipped hers on, tugging it over her minimal curves then pulling on her boots. At least these were her own, the scuffed leather now gleaming with polish.

"Dressing us up like whores," she said absently, noting the shorter hemline in addition to the clingy fit. Displeased but not in a position to complain, she didn't waste any more time worrying over the outfits as she grabbed up the water and poured two glasses. She drank slowly... and was just finishing hers when she heard Jackal scream out again.

Sammy groaned in disgust, she never thought she'd be in clothes like this again. And just like in the Outpost, the clothing made her nearly curse her curvy figure. The fabric clung to her large bust and shapely hips like a second skin. The dress groaned and stretched as she put on her boots. "Ugh, at least it doesn't stink as bad as the clothes I had to wear back at the Rascal House." The young woman took up her drink and began swishing it around her mouth before she spat it onto the floor. She still tasted the vomit in her throat, but the water helped a little. But as she went for her second drink the loud sounds of crashing metal and Mr. Lawless's shouts made her jump and drop her glass and stand up. "That doesn't sound good!" Next thing they knew a shirtless Matches was stumbling into the sanctuary carrying some paper in his hand.

Jumping over the pews he waved his hand at the women. "We gotta go now!" He grabbed Sammy's hand and Ezra's shoulder nearly dragging them to the door.

In a matter of seconds, the three reached the main entrance of the church, the doors opening out to the town proper. Matches took the lead, the young man barely keeping his feet, but Ez and Sammy were no better, the effects of the drug still working its way out of their systems. Keeping out of sight as much as possible, the trio moved behind the buildings and through alley ways, putting as much distance as possible between them and the church. This was not a way out of town, as Ezra knew well enough, but if they could at least keep hidden until they were in a normal frame of mind, they might have a chance to rescue Jackal.

Once they reached the outer section of town, Ez pointed to an outbuilding that might once have been a barn. "Head over there," she directed, running for it then collapsing into an old pile of hay that was just inside the dilapidated structure. "We can stay here...at least for a while. I need you to tell me about Jack. Is he alive?"

-----------

Inside the cell block, the guards finally reached the freed lawman, confused by his presence outside of the cage and that of the town's leaders sprawled out on the floor. They surrounded Jackal, their weapons drawn, not sure how they would contain the man now that he had broken through both his shackles and the metal bars.

It was Aidan that broke the stand off, the man sitting up with a groan and putting his hand to his nose before growling out a command.

"Hit the fucker with the prod...and don't stop until he passes out. Do NOT let him escape!" He turned his attention on Lawless, sneering at him with bloodstained teeth. "You should have run when you had the chance...you will regret that choice. I promise you."

He then got to his knees, cringing as he was helped to his feet. One of the guards grabbed up the fallen cattle prod and approached Jackal, the weapon sparking before it was pushed into this bare chest.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast