Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) The Treasure of the Lost Mountains IC (bluemoon x Siks apocy RP) (M)

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra let out a long sigh, her gaze resting on Samantha and Matches, the two sitting close to one another on the dusty hay, their hands clasped together. She felt an odd sense of respect for the young man. Despite the tight and revealing outfit the young girl was wearing, his eyes remained on her face. A long moment stretched after her question about Jackal was asked, Matches finally dropping his gaze to the ground as he considered his reply. After clearing his throat, he lifted his eyes to hers, a similar sigh falling from his lips.

“He was injured, but alive. I saw a cattle prod on the ground...and there were burns on his chest.” He shook his head. “Fuck! He sacrificed himself so I could get out..and get to you two.” He reached into the pocket of his pants and pulled out a crumpled piece of parchment. “...and he gave me this...for you.” He passed over the map, the edges worn from so much handling. “The two men that seemed to be in charge were on the ground bloody...but there were others coming. No way he had time to get out.” He shook his head again. “I’m sorry...I shoulda stayed and helped him. Was so cloudy headed...just did what he said.”

Ez shook her head, her hand lightly touching his as she took the map. “You did right. Jack wouldn’t have had you come for us if he thought there was a better option. Now we just have to figure out how to get to him to repay the favor.” She chewed her lower lip, blood starting to well up from the constant worrying. “We have to go back...but not just yet. We need weapons...and additional bodies. No way we can get to Deck and the others, so we will have to recruit from the town.” She offered a slight smile to Sam and tugged at the low hem of her dress. “..and proper clothes...these will only attract attention.”

Despite the feeling of the lingering effects of the drug in her system, Ez managed to get to her feet fairly easily without wavering, the nausea mostly gone. “I am going to see a friend. You two stay here and out of sight. If anything happens and you have to run, meet me back here in 24. I know the town fairly well...and I can travel faster on my own.” She leaned over and gave Sammy a quick hug. “I won’t be long. Catch your wits and be ready to move when I return...hopefully with help.”

As Ez turned to leave, her fingers brushed over the surface of the map in her hands before she tucked it into the bodice of her top. “We’ll get to you as soon as we can Jack...just hold on,” she muttered under her breath softly, a sorrowful breath of air leaving her lips as she started to move in the direction of Becca’s childhood home. She could only hope that the woman still lived there.

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

After about an hour of sneaking through the darkened streets of Endver until she came to Becca's door she gave the lightest of knocks and waited in tense silence until she heard the faint pitter-patter of uncovered feet. And the door opening a small crack a faint sliver of light escaping the eye of a young girl wearily spying out.

Ezra leaned in and whispered. "Hey, hey, I'm a friend of your mother Becca. Please tell her Ezra is here...I need her help."

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Default Co-op--Moon and Siks

Ez moved deeper into the shadows as she watched the child disappear from view. It had already taken her longer than she had anticipated to get here, having to duck and hide several times as guards moved through the streets. She couldn't be sure if they were looking for her and the others yet, but she suspected it. It also seemed likely they would check for her here...Aidan was sure to remember their past friendship.

Hearing footsteps from inside the home, Ez tensed and flattened herself against the home's exterior. At present, she was weaponless, not the best situation considering her plight. Becca was her only hope...without her she was going to have to steal what she needed...and not get caught at it. It was with a heavy sigh of relief that she greeted the familiar form of her friend when she came into the entry way, Ezra moving quickly inside the house and closing the door behind her.

Becca was surprised to see her friend at her door, but with a soft smile she led Ezra in and locked the door firmly behind her. "So what's going on Ezra?" She asked motioning for the other woman to make herself comfy while she found some water to give her.

As Becca moved through the room, Ez sat down at the dinner table, her hands smoothing down the short hem of her dress. With an exhausted sigh she began going over the events that occurred since her group had entered Endver, ending with a shake of her head.

"You were right...and I should have listened to you when you warned us. My stupidity got Jackal locked up in a cell. I need some weapons...and clothes...if you have them." She pulled her lower lip into her mouth, biting down on the tender flesh. "I can pay you back...I swear...and if everything goes as planned, your life here will be better for it."

Becca placed a dinged tin cup in front of Ezra before quickly pulling a blanket off her beat up couch and draping it over her friend's shoulders, sighing gently. "Don't beat yourself up Ezra, you aren't the first, nor the only travelers those two have fucked over in the past few years. Traders barely come here anymore because of the rumors spinning around about Endver. Any supplies we do get are most likely stolen or gotten from our own Scavvers. And don't worry about paying me back, just free this town and we'll call it even." She heard her daughter coming down the steps and smiled softly, patting Ezra's hand as she stood up. "I'll be right back, gotta put the pipsqueak back into bed. Take your time, we'll need some planning for this one." Standing up she moved softly up the stairs and picked the little girl up, kissing her gently on the head before vanishing around the corner.

As she waited, Ezra sipped from the cup, looking around the small room that had fallen to ruin. It had been a lot of years since she had left with her family, and it appeared the town's wealth was now held in reserve for those in power. Money and time.

With a sigh the scavver started planning out her strategy, hoping the supplies she needed would be available. An army at her disposal would be ideal, but she couldn't count on more than was in her current party...and Becca hopefully. She was going to have to get back into the church...and to Aidan...for things to work out as she hoped. It was risky, but necessary. And this time whatever happened would have to be on her terms, not those of the sadistic preacher. One thing was for certain...that bastard had to die at any cost...and Ez hoped it was her hand that delivered the killing blow.

Becca returned a few minutes later carrying a bottle of whiskey and a another tin cup. She knew her friend well enough to know this was likely just what she needed. She poured herself a cup then placed the bottle by Ezra to pour her own drink. "So tell me everything, what happened once your group crossed our cursed gates?"

Ez scoffed, then shook her head in frustration. "It was just like you said. The bastards can't be trusted." She went on to describe how she and Sammy woke up after being drugged, what she suspected happened to Jackal and Matches, and her escape. As she finished her story, she reached for the bottle of liquor and filled her cup, taking a long swig from it before setting it back down.

"Thanks," she said, wiping her mouth with the back of her wrist. She rolled her shoulders then gave Becca a half smile. "What I really need other than the obvious weapons, is to get a message to Aidan that I want to meet with him privately. There was something he wanted to discuss...and I'm itching to know what that was." She didn't wait for her friend to argue, her hand going up to silence any protests. "Just hear me out before you tell me it's a stupid idea..." she said with a light chuckle, draining her cup before continuing, her gaze settling on Becca.

"I think I can talk with Aidan without worry...as long as the priest isn't around. He might be dangerous, but I can handle him...and if I have something he wants, I can use it as a bargaining chip. It's my fault we're in this mess, and if nothing else, I have to get Jackal out. I owe him that."

Becca sipped her own drink slowly listen to her friend's narration and nodding when she hit a good point. As she finished Becca had finished her own cup feeling the alcohol in her head already. She'd never had a great tolerance for booze like Ezra, but knew they both would need time to slow down and enjoy it before things really got crazy.

As the other woman finished Becca nodded one more time tapping her finger on the rip of her tin cup. "Well, many of the townsfolk have grown sick of living under the idiotic rule of those two, but as they own all the guns and power we can only do so much. We've gathered some weapons, but not a lot of ammo. We've inserted some trusted residents into the guard ranks and such, but the Priest is exceptionally paranoid so he keeps a close eye on everyone. " She leaned back in her chair sighing. "No girl can leave her house without wearing a dress, and any man caught sitting down instead of "working towards the good of the people" get lashed." Her eyes darkened slightly. "And the Priest still does his "teachings" for all young girls. Tania is on her third lesson and still has trouble walking or sleeping alone." Tears began to drip down Becca's face, but she quickly wiped them away. "We're committed, but we have don't have much of a plan. People have been broken for so long here."

Ezra nodded, her face belying the pain she felt at the mention of the priest's continued practices. That alone was enough to commit to her plan to kill him no matter the consequences.

She reached out and took Becca's hand, giving it a soft squeeze. "Weapons are not going to be a concern if everything goes accordingly," she stated, "...we should be able to take them off the guard's dead bodies. ...and we will kill that bastard...I promise you. Tania won't have to suffer under his rule any longer. Heaven knows we don't want her to have to finish those lessons."

Glancing up the stairway in the direction the child had gone, Ez frowned, knowing that both she and Becca had withstood the same treatment when they were young. It had been easier for her to deal with the memory...she had thought the man had paid for his sins with his life. Her friend had had to live under his gaze all these years.

"I will make him pay...and he will suffer. I swear to that."

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

In a deeper cell well beneath the chapel the sounds of a man's grunt filled the damp dank air. The sound of electricity followed closely after. Having learned from their previous mistake, the leaders of Endver had moved Jackal into a much more secure cell to continue their interrogation and they had fully chained him to the wall each limb locked into it's own ring and chain.

"Your stubbornness is as admirable as it is infuriating Mr. Lawless." Aiden said wiping sweat from his brow before placing the cattle prod on the small blood stained table near the metal door. All he got as a response was a deep breath and the faint rattle of Jackal's chains.

The old man Theo was seated in a chair in the corner, he was wearing a heavy apron coated with dry blood under that he was wearing a simple white shirt with the sleeves rolled up past his elbows. "More so frustrating, in my opinion." Standing up he picked up a small razor blade spinning it around his hand as he approached the chained lawman. "You must think us stupid Mr. Lawless, we are not the only settlement in the area. The town of Bilegulch is no more than a day to the East, and you likely passed Hale and Yelmur on the way here. Did you not?" He quickly slashed the razor across Jackal's right shoulder watching the thick red blood quickly ooze out.

Gritting his teeth Jackal let the burn of the newest cut ease into the rest of the festering pain racking his body. They've been down here since last night, torturing...questioning...torturing. It wasn't anything new to Jackal, but these fuckers weren't going lose interest like the Black Jacks would. And even if he told them what they want they wouldn't let him go. They'd want him to die here...he'll be happy to prove them wrong. But he would need to bide his time for now, Ezra and the kids were free, he hoped they got out of town. He could take all the punishment and get away that he was sure of, but if they didn't get away he would have to burn this town down to find them. He could do it, he'd done it before.

Once the pain quieted he turned his eyes on the old man. "We got caught in a sandstorm that destroyed our supplies. This place was the closest, that is all." He saw the flare of annoyance in the old man's face before the shine of the razor slashed down his bicep. Once more Jackal simply growled in response, that seemed to annoy his tormentors more than anything. But he knew his limits, these two wouldn't be able to break him.

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

While the two figure heads of Endver were occupying their time with the torture of Jackal in the dungeons, Ezra and Becca compiled various items from her limited stock to assist in his rescue. It was just after midnight when the scavver left the humble home with her arms weighted down with clothing that would allow her, Sam, and Matches to blend in with the townsfolk. She also had procured a few dull-edged melee weapons, dried food goods, and some clean water. The plan they decided on was simple enough...Ez would draw out Aidan with a note delivered by one of the man’s guards, a soldier who secretly was part of the rebellion to which Becca belonged. Ezra would use Aidan to get back into the main building where her lover was held, promising anything to get in good graces. It was a risk...but a calculated one. While she worked from the inside, Becca would get the rebel forces ready to attack...pulling Deck and the others from the camp at the last moment for reinforcement. If all went well, the city would be theirs in a matter of days.

It was only after bidding her friend goodbye that Ez moved back onto the familiar streets. The moon was the only guide to lead the woman back to her companions, as the town of Endver was asleep and no candles burned in the darkened doorways. She kept to the shadows none-the-less, knowing there would be soldiers out looking for her. Her change of clothing aided in disguising her, but it would not be enough if she was found out. Her mannerisms were not of a meek nature, and if challenged, she would fight...and it would end badly. It was better to remain unseen until morning, her meeting with Aidan set in a small cafe on the edge of town in plain sight of the commoners.

All went well, and it was with a sigh of relief that she entered the decrepit barn. Unloading her goods, she relented to the young girl’s obvious distress and held her for a moment before outlining the roles the two would play in the rescue attempt. Neither had a large part...mostly foot soldiers holding up the back line...a mother’s hope that her daughter would not be injured in the fool-hardy attack. There was so little time for planning...and the execution would have to be perfect to succeed. Despite this, Ezra felt sure they would win...one way or another...Jackal’s alter personality, his rage, enough to pull them through if the worst happened. She would only need to engage it…
    ---------
    Hours passed, and Ezra, Sam, and Matches slept on the mildewing haypile in relative comfort. Surely more comfortable than Jackal in his chains. The man’s torture continued, his body criss-crossed with narrow cuts and blackened splotches where he had been jabbed with the cattle prod. It seemed endless, the sound of the tools of choice only silencing when the clacking of boot-heels could be heard on the slate floor of the dungeon. A moment later a guard came into sight, his throat clearing to draw attention to himself.

“Sir?” he said respectfully, addressing the younger of the two unchained men in the cell. He held a small piece of paper in his hand, directing it at Aidan. “I was asked to deliver this to you. It came from one of our team.”

Taking the offered note, Aidan opened it and scanned the contents quickly, refolding it before Theophyllis had a chance to read it. A slight smile curved his lips upwards. “Splendid,” he murmured, his gaze returning to the bloodied man before him. “I’m going to return to my chambers Theo...please carry on without me. Change of plans for me I’m afraid. I’m going to meet an old friend in town tomorrow morning and I hope to catch at least a few hours of sleep beforehand. Don’t worry yourself about the details...I will keep you informed.”

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Theo nodded to his fellow leader dunking his hands into a bloody bowl of water. "I think I will take a break myself, I feel we've gotten all we can from this one for now. Maybe a few hours of reflection will do him some good." Picking up a bottle of high proof whiskey he poured it over the still remains of Jackal. The liquid made an audible sizzling sound as it ran over the many bloody wounds of the lawman, but they were the only sounds heard.

Theo simply chuckled seeing the tall man's body jump of it's own accord from the sensation, but like before the man himself refused to make a sound. Still the jump seemed sufficient enough to tell Clergyman that his prisoner was still with him. He ordered a guard to wrap the man's wounds then locked the cell securely. For many long minutes Jackal stayed in a heap upon the floor his body burning with pain and his mind lost within itself. He sat up eventually his eyes clouded and listless and his body sagging deeply, but his breathing was easy and normal. He had endured pain and torture like before, Theo and Aidan were ruthless, but also stupid and inexperienced. They knew how to inflict the greatest amount of physical pain, but had no skill in psychological torture. At this point in his life Jackal Lawless was nearly immune to the effects of physical torture, sure he still felt the pain and still bleed like any other man, but his mind had learned long ago how to detach itself from the reality of the pain and allowed him to remain silent. He would die before any amount of lashing or slashing could loosen his tongue.

They hinted at knowing how to break him mentally, but they would need to do two things first. Damage or destroy his mother's bible...or catch Ezra and bring her here to be tortured herself. Those would be the only ways these bloated fools could make "the Jackal bark" as they had grown fond of saying. But the false men of the cloth would never damage one of the few intact bibles left in Ragged America, so Ezra would be their only card to play. And Jackal knew she would too smart to let them catch her. As the pain dulled the lanky man felt the darkness of exhaustion surrounding him, he would take advantage of the men's boredom and catch some sleep himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

The trickles of dawn pierced the slated roof of the manger jabbing Ezra, Sammy, and Matches in the eyes to awaken them. Matches stirred first he was dressed in, black boots, torn jeans, a flannel shirt with a red bandana around his neck. Half rolling off the pile of hay he dunked his head into a nearby trough to wake himself up. The cold water shocked his eye lid open and he jumped back sputtering a little. "Whoo that'll do." He said to himself before he began drying his face with the bandana.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Default Co-op--Moon and Siks--The plan

Turning her back on the sunlight, Ez rubbed at her eyes and moaned softly. Bloody hell she was tired. She got to her feet slowly, rolling her shoulders and stretching her limbs before facing the day...and the young man. Getting older was not agreeing with her this morning. She felt like she hadn’t slept a wink, her body tight where she had lain upon the moldering hay.

“Mornin’ Matches,” she said in a soft tone, rousing Sammy with a gentle shake. “There’s some cheese and bread in that sack over there,” she added, indicating an oily brown-papered package just behind him. It would be best if they kept a low profile for a few hours...just how safe they were here was unknown, although it seemed quiet enough. Once she left for the cafe however, the two were to mingle with the town, try to become a part of the activities...blend. It was important that they were not captured, their roles, though small, were vital in the execution of the plan. It would be Sammy that accompanied Becca back to the camp outside the walls to convince Deck to join the rebellion. Her presence would be enough to allow the old codger to trust Becca..or so Ezra hoped.

After washing her face and combing the dampness into her wavy hair, the scaver brushed the clinging hay from her gingham dress. The fabric was thin, but flowing, a definite improvement over the skin tight outfit she had been in. It was not her style, but neither had been the one Sammy had found in the underground compound. Hopefully Aidan would like it well enough. The clothing was not important though...it was her attitude that had to remain cordial...inviting. She could play the willing whore easy enough...the bastard just had to buy it.

Heaving out a heavy sigh, Ez walked over to Matches and the small pile of dull weapons. “We can get these sharpened this morning. They’ll be good enough for us at the start.” She lifted a small dagger and weighed its balance in her hand. “I’ll take this one. It should be easy enough to conceal.”

Sammy awoke with a weak yawn twisting herself around to force her joints to pop and bring feeling back to her damp limbs. Like the other two she used the water from the trough to wash her face and force the cobwebs from her brain. Today would need all their sense awake and alert...even if their bodies were in disagreement. She was wearing a peasant blouse and a knee length skirt, pulling a small veil from the waistband of her skirt she tied her hair back in as simple a look as possible, every bit the meek young farm girl Becca had instructed her to be. It wasn't as hard a role for her as it would be for Ezra, back in Outpost 4 some men paid extra for the whole shy young maiden game. They liked the idea of "ruining" a young girl for other men.

Once her face was dried she opened the meager bag of food and broke it up into three even portions for them handing both Ezra and Matches their share before beginning on her own. "I hope Ms. Becca can get out of town during the day as easily as she did at night."

"Don't worry about that," Ezra said in a soothing tone as she took the offering, "...she's knows the lay of the land better than any of us...if anyone can do it she can. You just have to follow her lead."

Matches gave his portions to Ezra and Sammy before going to gather the weapons. "I worked in the smith shed back in...cannibal land. If we find a whetstone or something I can sharpen these myself." He ran his fingers through his messy red hair and began trying to hide the weapons somehow on his body so the guards wouldn't be so suspicious of him.

"I'm not sure we'll find something like that just laying around...best to find a regular stone which can take its place. If you walk the perimeter you'll find plenty to choose from." With a smirk the scavver dug into the crumbly cheese. It was stale, but she had eaten worse. The bread didn't fare any better. Hopefully they would all be eating Deck's food in a few day's time. She missed the old man already. Especially his cooking.

Once she finished her portion of the food, Ez tore a strip of cloth from the bottom of her dress and used it to secure the small blade to her inner thigh. If she was patted down it would not be found, but a more thorough search was a different matter. She would have to take the risk...placing it inside a body cavity was too risky. She would have needed a folding blade for that.

"Don't expect me to return today. If I do, then things have gone sour. Becca will connect with you this evening at the town hall...it's a quarter mile west of here. Meet her near the rear door. If she doesn't show up...then you are on your own. Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

Sammy ate the food listening to Ezra's plan. Nodding slowly she moved to help Matches stash the weapons, taking a few herself and using the same trick as her mother for a couple of knives. "Got it, I really hope this all works. Good luck mom." The young woman hugged the Scavver tight before she ate her food and grabbed Matches hand giving him a fond smile. "Remember you're Stan, I'm Bell, and we're just a young couple out in town. Hopefully we can find some kind of sharpening stone along our way."

Matches nodded softly. Shifting the hidden weapons about his body. "Flint would be best, but as long as it's flat and strong enough to scratch metal anything could work." With that the pair walked briskly out of the manger.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Sammy and Matches moved casually into the awakening city. Even with armed and grim faced guards patrolling along catwalks like spiders on a web, the pair could feel a spark of life as they walked slowly along the dusty streets. The town bakery smelled of rich bread which was honestly something neither teen could wrap their heads around, but it smelt great. Continuing on along the narrow roads they saw the people of Endver. They were alive...but in body only, the men had no pride or fire in their eyes and the women...well the women they barely even looked alive. Little better than shuffling corpses, they recognized the look.

The look of hopelessness, people just waiting for death to come claim them. Freedom would be the greatest gift these people could ask for. But that would be for later right now Sammy and Matches needed to find a stone to sharpen weapons on and make their way to Becca's house for the next phase of the plan.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra waited until the pair was out of sight before heading towards her own destination. It was a short walk to the meeting place she had chosen, a small restaurant/bakery several blocks from the well-kept church she and the others had escaped from yesterday. She didn’t bother trying to stay in the shadows on her way, the sheer number of soldiers afoot evidence enough that she was expected. Pausing briefly at the entrance, she looked at the townsfolk on the streets, so many of them familiar, and yet not one offering a greeting.

Stepping inside, it took the scavver a moment to acclimate her eyes to the dimly lit interior. The window’s shades were all drawn, and despite the candles that were set on every table, none were lit. Outside of a few workers, the establishment appeared empty, the chairs sitting as lonely sentinels in a wasteland of dust.

Ezra went to the farthest corner and sat facing the door, the similarity of her position when she first met Jackal not lost on her. The only thing she was missing was a drink, her thirst for an aged liquor strong on her tongue. Waving over a heavy-set woman she was about to order a brandy when the bell over the door jingled, the well-dressed leader of Endver entering with a smile.

He was alone, although the woman did not doubt for a minute that a league of men were outside to be called upon if needed. She rose, more to show that she was unarmed than to pay any sort of homage to the man. A forced smile came to her lips as she extended a hand...also a formality...and beckoned him to join her.

“I was surprised to get your invite Ezra...especially since you had just acquired your freedom. Without permission, I must add. To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?”

As soon as he sat, glasses of water were brought over, the liquid clear and chilled. Aidan lifted his and drank deeply, eying the woman across from him with humor. “I promise you they are not drugged,” he offered, pushing hers closer with a smirk.

With her brow lifted, she shook her head, instead reaching for his glass and switching it with hers. “I hope you don’t mind if I’m not ready to trust you...just yet. As for why I wanted to meet...you have something I want.”

A subtle nod, then deep laughter filled the room. “The lawman...your supposed husband?” he asked.

Her eyes narrowing, she did not respond, the silence stretching on until she reached for the water she had taken from him and took a sip. Alcohol would have been preferred. “You had said there was something you wanted to talk to me about...before all the nonsense that followed. I was wondering if that was still true?”

“Are you looking for a trade?” He asked, shrugging his shoulders at her change of topic.

“I’m looking for an excuse to let you live,” she said with a smile, her hand twitching under the table as she forced herself to remain calm. “You have the man I…”

“...love?” he interrupted. “That sorry excuse of a lawman? You're wasting your life on him..he killed the last woman that was attached to him. He’ll do the same to you once he gets what he wants...whatever that is. That map...that’s the clue. Seems it disappeared with the little cub that escaped with you. Perhaps you would like to trade that also?”

It was her turn to laugh, her head shaking in the negative. “My life...and my choices...are not a subject on the table. How about we talk about Theo...shall we? Tell me why he is still alive.”

“Another redirect. Very well. It’s a short story anyhow.” Without hesitation, he went on to explain how Theophyllis silver tongued his way out of his execution those many years ago, receiving instead a severe punishment that was hoped would ensure he could not molest young children again. Castrated, the man barely survived the knife. A few years later he started preaching again, his position in the town rising until he was the head of the church and town, Aidan at his side.

Ezra merely nodded when the tale was done, her mouth set tightly. It would do her no good to become enraged, the anger building in her set on reserve for when she could use it to her advantage. Only fools would have let the man live.

“And now?” she asked.

“Now? Well, there are rumors, but I believe the man is keeping his hands clean.” He chuckled lightly, the trace of a smile still on his lips. “...and as long as we are talking about the preacher, we might as well get to the reason I wanted to talk to you.” He leaned forward, his blue eyes focusing on her intently. “Do you still have that ability? Photographic memory I believe it is called.”

Ezra scoffed as she started to rise from her chair. Nothing good could come from this. Whatever Aidan wanted she was sure she was not interested. Better to just kill him now and deal with the consequences later.

“Now just a minute,” Aidan said quickly, his hand gesturing for her to sit back down. “You haven’t even heard me out. I just need you to learn the Bible...not word for word...but key phrases...context...that sort of thing. Theo is getting older...even he would admit his memory is not what it was. With the Bible we just obtained it will be even easier. No lost passages or torn pages. Beautiful script. ...and plenty of time. You would be working with me...and I in return would assist him. If of course we can come to an agreement.”

Oh Lord, just what had she walked into? Her, learning the words of God? Little did they know that Jackal was a better candidate for their little plan. At least he had faith, while she had nothing but doubts. Swallowing a laugh, she sat back down and folded her hands before her. It was better to play their game for the time being. “If I agree...and that’s a big if...just what do I get out of it?”

“Safety,” he replied, a bit too quickly “...for you and yours.”

“Does that include Jackal?”

“I can’t promise that...Theo already has his claws into him...but perhaps we can work out a separate deal?”

Ezra did laugh this time, her humor oddly genuine. “I figured that.” Chewing her lower lip, she began to twiddle her thumbs, a heavy sigh coming from her before she looked the man in the eye. “Atonement is tonight...correct?” After receiving a nod, she went on. “What if I was to attend...with you as my sponsor? Would that at least get me an audience with him? I need to know he is alive...and then I will give you my answer.”

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Endver wasn't that big, but during their casual walk around, Matches and Sammy found themselves easily slipping into their roles. Neither teenage had ever really been out of their hometowns and Endver even with it's totalitarian government and quick tempered guards proved to be larger and more friendly than either Outpost 4 or Liberty. The greatest of the shittiest they've heard some residents say once they were out of earshot of a guard.

And honestly...they could agree. The buildings were mostly new looking made of either natural stone or mismatched chunks of concrete and wood held together by some kind of mortar. Matches could guess that much, but had no clue how they made it. Last he knew that sort of thing required a lot of water and an easy way to grind up stone. Unless it was all underground they couldn't see anything like that, but they did manage to find a decent stone for sharpening. But they couldn't bring themselves to rush right over to Becca's might be a touch obvious seeing as they were just supposed to be out for a leisurely stroll about town. So with what few chips they had they wandered the main market away buying a few baubles before they went up down streets stopping into other shops that were too small for the central marketplace. They didn't buy anything, but it was nice to see what an almost functioning town can be like. Now they just needed to take out the leaders and free the town, maybe even after all of this the robots from the Bunker can come out here too.

After walking up and down nearly every street that looked alive the young pair finally arrived at Becca's house near the wall by the gates. Only after they were sure no guards were present did they wrap on the door using the code Ezra had taught them. Two soft thuds then three quick taps, each resounded through the metal door and small two story house. There was the soft patter of feet and the door gently opened Becca's young daughter poking her head out. She saw the teens and was about the slam the door when Becca quickly caught it smiling. "Easy there kiddo, they're with us. Come on in you two I'm almost ready to go." She swung the door open and moved back into the house Matches and Sammy shuffled in behind her closing and locking the door behind them.

The woman moved back to what counted as her living room pulling on a small pack and some water. "I assume Ezra gave you two some weapons? Put them on the table."

Without words Sammy and Matches began pulling the weapon out of their hiding spots laying them on the table in as neat a row as they could manage. Slinging her pack on Becca walked over and inspected the weapons and the stone Matches placed down besides them. "Well this is a good start, others in the Resistance have more weapons stashed around town and in their houses."

Matches chuckled. "Well I hope people have their own sharpening stones, this lot is gonna take me a bit to get perfect."

The older woman chuckled and nodded. "Don't worry we've been preying for our chance to strike for many years now, and now with the plan your mother thought up we will succeed. With any luck tonight's Atonement will be the last night of Theo and Aiden's tyranny. Come on Sammy the guards will be changing shifts soon and we'll only have a few minutes to get out of town and back to your little caravan." She turned to her daughter and gave the young girl a firm hug. "Tania, listen to me baby. Momma needs to go with Ms. Sammy to go get help. You stay here with Mr. Matches, ok?" She gave the child a weak smile and brushed some hair from her face. Tania simply nodded returning her mother's affections. "Be safe Momma." Was all the girl said before she joined Matches at the table watching him sharpen the weapons.

Wiping away a small tear Rebecca looked at Sammy and nodded motioning for the young girl to follow her. "Don't let anyone in without the knock ok Matches?" She said quickly the nod from the young man being enough to assure her. The women moved into Becca's basement and through a hatch hidden under the flagstone floor. Keeping low and moving quickly Becca led Sammy through a confusing series of tunnels for three minutes before they reached a second hatch. Becca carefully lifted a small porthole and peeked out. The guards were in the middle of their shift change and the nearest hide spot was twenty feet away behind a large boulder. Holding her breath she began counting down on her fingers Sammy tightened the laces on her boots and scooted up as closely as she could to the hatch. As Rebecca's count reached zero and all four guard were ducking under the ramparts she threw the hatch opened and rushed out followed by Sammy. The very second Sam was free of the hatch Becca threw it down and ran as fast as she could for the boulders. Samantha was only a step or two behind her and dove with her into the dirt behind the boulder huddling against it's cool surface until the guards were back in their spots.

The pair waited a few minutes before Becca once again too the lead. Guiding her young charge down a dried river bed that wrapped around the hills. Once they were out of the wall guards' line of site they broke into a steady jog carefully hoping over and around rocks and bushes. Deck had led the rest of the group into a small valley between the first and second hills of Endver. The women reached the first guard post a little bit over a half hour since they left the town. Jessica was the guard that noticed them. She had cut her black hair boyishly short and her blue eyes were hidden behind a pair of thick goggles. The old bullet casings around her waists jingles as she shift the weight of her rifle to her other hip. "Welcome back Sammy, Ms. Becca. Am I to assume shit has gone sideways?" Her East Coast Accent still present even after all the years she spent in Liberty. Sammy let out a tired sigh and nodded. "In the worst way possible, we need to see Deck."

Jessica clicked her tongue and nodded for them to enter camp. "Guess Jen and Ken won the bet, Deck is around the main fire."

Not questioning what the girl meant by bet Becca and Sammy quickly jogged past her seeing Deck hunched over a cooking fire brewing something that smelled divine.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast