Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 LastLast

Thread: (M) The Treasure of the Lost Mountains IC (bluemoon x Siks apocy RP) (M)

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Even with her eyes closed, Ezra was aware of her surroundings, her other senses tuned in to any nuance within the camp. There was little to focus on, so the sound of Jackal moving about was not lost on her...nor was the feeling of his gaze upon her. Unaware that his vision had continued to improve, she dismissed the subtle lifting of the fine hairs on the back of her neck as nothing more than the gunman checking on her location, the length of time extended due to his poor vision.

By the time Jackal finished with the care of his mount, she too was done with her bath. Wringing out her hair, she stepped from the pool and wiped away the excess water with her hand. With the temperature at its highest point of the day, she laid down on her clothes and allowed the sun to heat up her skin, her desires warming as her body basked. She missed the feel of having someone by her side...of reaching out and touching another. Sighing with frustration, she took a deep breath and let it out slowly, finally grabbing for her dusty clothes and pulling them on.

There was still a lot of daylight left and many miles to cover, and with that thought in mind, Ez saddled up her horse again. Once all her provisions were secured, she took all the water containers and filled them, allowing Clove to drink as well. She had only spoken to Jack once since they had stopped, and the tension between them was growing with the extended silence. She blamed herself for this, but the thought of talking just to fill the empty hours with their voices was not a comfort. Settling into her saddle, she placed her hand on her abdomen, the reason behind why she was continuing with this journey lying just beneath it. She was not sure what she hoped to accomplish, but raising a child on her own did not fall within her skill set. Whether or not they discovered the location of the Lost Treasure ceased to be a concern for her. She needed to mend the broken ties between them, to form at least some connection with the father of her child. She was still in too fragile a state to even attempt this now, but she hoped with time her heart would heal...or at least scar down enough to allow her to become more than just a husk of the woman she had become.

Without a word, Ezra donned her hat and started down the trail again, Clove taking the path of least resistance. She allowed his instincts to lead them, the horse moving with a sure-footed gait along the rocky terrain, the shadier areas favored with the sun at its highest. Knowing they had at least another five or six hours to ride, Ez relaxed in the saddle, her body moving with the rhythm of her mount, her gaze periodically falling on Jackal as he rode beside her.

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Like before Ezra and Jackal rode East in utter silence. Even the wind seemed to be going mad in the silence, it's constant whistling reminding the pair they still had working ears. While Jackal kept his eyes down he couldn't help but look at Ezra as they rode. Having taken up the habit of rubbing her stomach in pensive thought he could almost read her mind through the hand motions and looks his way.

This was such a painful reminder he contemplated leaving this mad mission completely. Things have been silent long before his confession. And now they were silent again, his own foolishness aside this painful tension did tell him one thing. They mean far more to each other than either one thought or at this point would be able to admit. Still the man squirmed in his saddle trying to think of a way to break the silence and try to get back to some semblance of cordiality with his only companion that could talk back.

On his own he often spoke with Vash, and while the beast didn't understand the words. he was smart enough to hear tones in his rider's voice to react to. As such the conversations were very one-sided. The hot day soon turned into the cooling night and they stopped besides a rocking outcropping to make camp for the night. They likely should keep moving and rest during the day as the world would only get hotter the further they went. But the night was just as deadly with predators and mutants choosing the darkness to hunt. Maintaining the silence as they dismounted and built up camp it wasn't until they were about to sit down for a warm dinner when Jackal broke the agonizing silence with the only thing he could think of. "I am sorry for all this Ms. Bastian. Dragging you out here, nearly getting you killed multiple times, lying to you about what I knew was at the end of this road, and most of all... getting you pregnant, before being honest." As if finally dumping a hundred pounds of weight from his shoulder he let out a low sad sigh beginning to pick through the trail stew they made.
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 04-16-2021 at 06:16 AM.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra was spreading a blanket out on the ground when Jackal spilled the wealth of words from his mouth, shocking her enough that she sat down immediately to avoid wavering, the woolen cover still held in her grasp. “What?” she said, although she heard him plain enough. He had apologized for the entirety of the time they had spent together...using her surname again...which only managed to alienate him from her. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and shook her head, trying to ignore the pain his apology caused. “No...you don’t get to do that Jack,” she said, her voice shaking. “You don’t get to apologize for knocking me up, then treat me like a stranger. Be a man. Look me in the face and call me Ezra when you say you’re sorry for sticking your…” Growling under her breath, she wiped at the moisture threatening to spill down her cheeks, a sigh huffing through her nose before she turned away. “...dammit…”

Getting back to her feet, she threw the blanket to the ground before she walked a short distance away. She didn’t know if she was more angry or sad, the gunman’s words coming a bit too soon for her to be able to process them. She didn’t care about nearly dying or being dragged out here. As a guide, that was all part of the job…and the pregnancy was an unexpected side effect of the sex, which she had put on offer. ...but the lie...that was on him. If it had come about in the same manner, but without her being a part, things would have been different...but for him to be willing to give her up…

Leaning up against the rocks, she stared at the fire...and at Jack...for quite some time. She wrestled with her emotions, pushing back the feelings of hurt that kept her from interacting with him. The least she could do was try to acknowledge him...make an attempt at conversation..apologize for her outburst. At least he had attempted to say he was sorry. Tossing a few stones towards the fire to get his attention, she cleared her throat, regretting her decision as soon as he looked in her direction.

“I...I was an ass earlier...and I’m sorry. You’re trying...and I want to try too. But I need you to give me more time. I’m not ready to talk about all that yet. Okay?”

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

With a sigh and a nod Jackal let the subject die on the sand between them. She had made it very clear to him they're strangers again. She was pissed at him and would likely stay pissed at him, but at least he had said his piece on the matter. "That's fine." He said softly before he stood up grabbing his rifle, pistol, and canteen. "I'll take first watch...I'll wake you in four hours Ezra." Slinging his rifle over his back he grabbed a few pieces of hardtack and a lantern before he walked into the shadows around their small campfire.

Like the wind and sand the gunman was lost among the advance darkness of the wastelands. Not even a moon or stars to light the path. He would keep the fire and Ezra in eye sight, but the brightness of the fire would hamper the woman's night vision. It was the only role Jackal figured he had left in the woman's eyes. The invisible guardian, unseen, unheard, but his presence known at all times. He couldn't be her lover, nor her partner, or employer. All walls have been broken down between them, and he'd stomped on the rubble to add insult to injury so all that was left to him was to stand on the hill and watch over her from afar.

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

The scavver watched him go, her hazel eyes tracking his movements until he was little more than a shadow, that soon faded into the haze of the evening. Sighing, she turned away and ran her hand through her hair, pushing it off her face and tucking it behind her ear. Her fingers lightly traced the “M” burned into her right cheek, her head shaking in quiet denial as she made her way over to her tent. As much as she hated to admit it, she didn’t want to sleep alone, the closeness she and Jack had shared before the events in Endver missed desperately. She often woke thinking he was next to her, the cold emptiness that greeted her instead, her new reality.

Closing the flap behind her, Ezra removed her boots and lay down on her bed roll. She stared into the darkness for several minutes before closing her eyes and folding her arms over her stomach. She had already started rationing her water, her nightly routine of cleaning up before bed sorely missed. The remainder of the day’s grime was settled on her skin, the sand peppered in her hair, and her tongue felt like it was coated in cotton. She would give Clove his daily allowance as long as she could, the need for reliable transport superseding her own requirements.

Come morning, she and Jackal would have to address other worries as well. They needed to map out the hot zones using the landscape’s clues and reroute their path to avoid them. It had been a long time since she had traveled through a new territory, and although the prospect had been exciting when she was younger, it held little but apprehension now. With the thought came a chill, and she drew her gun out of its holster and gripped it tightly in her right hand, aiming it at the tent’s entrance. “Silver Bear?” she asked softly, feeling positive he was standing just outside. After getting no response for several heart beats, she loosened her grip and rested her hand back on her stomach, the weapon pointed towards the ground. She listened closely to the crackle of the fire and the sound of the wind as it blew particles of sand against the canvas of her tent. She lost track of time, and after a while her nerves calmed enough to allow her to fall into a deep sleep.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default The coming storm

The four hours came and went without incident. The tall gunman had slipped out of his troubled mindset now that he needed to focus on protecting the camp. Becoming a Sentinel as he patrolled about thirty feet around the small campsite.

The wastes always had a desolate feeling about them, but this far into them with the last known town more than a day's ride behind them it truly felt...desolate. Not even the sound of coyote or wolves howling at the stars was heard. Just the endless sigh of the wind as it rolled across the flat dead landscape. Just rocks and sand as far as the eye could see. Jackal imagined this is what being a ghost must feel like, everything bleak and muted as your mortal senses were removed from your consciousness. As this realization came the man even noticed how dim the stars were now. Like a thin cloth was being held over his eyes. Granted he had only recently regained his sight, so maybe this was all just his perceptions being skewed after so long being deprived of it.

He had moved to Ezra's tent and lifted his hand to wake her up for her own guard shift. But Silver Bear's voice behind him made him stop and quickly turn. "A storm is coming...go to her...protect her." The old man's voice said, but the old man was nowhere to be seen. Standing up Jackal looked quickly around before feeling the air pressure drop around him. Something was indeed coming.

*In the tent*

Like Jackal, Ezra would hear Silver Bear's voice in her mind. But she was told something else. "He is coming to you...open your arms and share your pains."

Waking with a start, the scavver's eyes opened to the darkness, the old man's words circling in her head. Her right hand was still clutching her gun and she reflexively lifted it from her body. "Who's there?" she asked hoarsely, not yet quite cognizant of her surroundings. She sensed the gunslinger outside and her body relaxed on its own. 'Shift change,' was the explanation for the disturbance, but something else was wrong...something was off...there was static in the air, the hairs on her arms standing up.

"Jackal? Jack...you need to get inside."

Before he even heard Ezra's voice Jackal's hair was standing on end and his skin felt prickly. Then as he heard her a bolt of heat lightning raced across the sky seemingly right over head, causing him to duck and practically dive into the tent like he was being shot at. The bolt was so sudden and so loud that both Vash and Clove woke in fright and dashed off across the wastes in fear.

Jackal heard them run and swore aloud, but another crack of lightning silenced him. Laying down besides Ezra the man's eyes were wide and his breath came out in quick bursts. "That...was....close." Was all he said as the distant rumbling of the heat storm came barreling towards them.

Trying to keep calm, Ez reacted to the flashes of light with subtle shivers, Jack's sudden arrival at her side drawing her eyes to him. She had never minded storms, but out in the open like this, they were not safe...not even inside the tent. Why did Silver Bear direct her to bring Jack into her arms? Did he know something she didn't? Was the tent a safe place tonight?

Turning on her left side, she placed her weapon on the ground between them and took his hand in hers gently. "We'll we okay. Your guardian sent you to me so we could be safe. I don't know his agenda, but he seems to look out for you at least. We have to ride out the storm inside the tent."

Chuckling softly Jackal unconsciously gripped the woman's hands. "Hehe my guardian? I don't know about that. He did allow me to go blind ya know, no I think he's simply a talking compass to keep us on the right path...whatever that path is I cannot say though." Feeling the warmth of her hand calmed him a great deal. Like her...he had been missing their intimacy and in more ways than just sex. They brought out the best in each other. At least that's what he had gathered from thinking back on all they had done and been through.

His mouth opened to try and change the subject when a bolt of heat lightning struck the ground near them causing one of the few sage bushes around to erupt in fire. The flames arched before Jackal's eyes the suddenness causing him to flash back to Endver. He lunged forward, wrapping Ezra in a hug and burying his face into her chest, eyes shut tight.

Startled by the sudden and unexpected contact, she froze in his embrace, the fire from just outside the tent providing barely enough light for her to see Jack's fear. Conflicting emotions raged within her, but it was the memory of the relationship they had that brought her hand to the back of his head to smooth down his hair, the gentle caress meant to calm him as she leaned closer.

Feeling her tense up made the man pull back a little and chuckle. "Sorry about that, guess getting set on fire will have that effect on a man sometimes." He tried to pull more away, but feeling her close to him again was very nice. While not burying his head in her chest he kept his arms around her and laid them both down to simply enjoy the embrace for however long it would last.

Lying in his arms brought back a lot of feelings, Ezra sighing softly as she breathed in the gunman's scent. She forgot how drawn she had become to it, her heart beating rapidly in response to his close proximity. Closing her eyes, it was her this time that placed her head against his chest. "I miss this," she said quietly after a few moments, "...I've missed you." Lifting her head, she glanced up at him, her eyes meeting his.

"Will you kiss me?"

With no words Jackal cupped the woman's chin and kissed her deeply just as the heat storm came into full force. Lightning blasted the wrecked landscape around them, but nothing came as close as that last bolt. They would need to hunt down their mounts as soon as the storm passed, but for now it was just two people lost and found again. The kiss deepened and they tried to forget the pain and simply be in the now.

It was easier to forgive with the distance between them removed, Ez finding peace with Jack's arms wrapped around her again. She moved her hands over his chest while they kissed, tugging his shirt off him when the heat from the storm made the addition of clothing uncomfortable.

"I want you Jack," she said, not caring that only hours before she had indicated the opposite. Her body was hungry tonight, and her lover was in her arms.

Hungrily they shared the small tent. Pain and worries forgotten at least for now, the great unknown was still ahead of them, an unbelievable journey behind them. Not to mention a wild goose chase to find their mounts to partake in when the storm clears up. But that would be for later, for now it was only them and nothing else mattered.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

With the dawning of the new day, Ezra awoke in the arms of her lover, her head resting comfortably on his chest. Sighing softly, she carefully removed herself from his embrace so as not to wake him and rolled over to the other side of the blankets. She squinted into the light which shone through the thin canvas of the tent and sat up, running her fingers through her mussed hair while staring at Jack silently. She did not regret her decision from last night, but she could not let it cloud her judgement in the days to come. They had bridged a gap in their troubled relationship, but it was far from healed.

With little intent other than to stretch her legs, the scavver put on her clothing and stepped outside, her eyes searching the scorched landscape for their missing mounts. It might take the whole day to find them...but it wasn’t something she was going to do on her own. She would wait for Jackal to join her, and they would need to be alert. A pot of coffee would be a good start. Setting her sights on banking up the fire, she then put water on to boil, the slightest churning in her stomach bringing her hand up against it.

It wasn’t the first time she had felt the sickness, but it was getting more frequent, the scavver knowing it was not something she could afford with the shortage of water becoming a concern. She had herbs to add to her coffee which helped, but when those ran out, she would have to rely on her strength of will, something of which she had never had a shortage. Scowling at her predicament, she carried on with her preparations, setting two cups out before she dug through their provisions to get some food. It would be a quick breakfast...leftover stew and some dry biscuits...nothing compared to Deck’s cooking, the man’s hand missed already.

While the food was warming over the fire, Ez climbed a small embankment to look out over the desert again, hoping to find some trace left behind by her horse or the chabbit. Her eyes were not as sharp as they used to be, but she picked up on a mound of manure a short distance out. If nothing else, it would give them a direction to walk in. It would be a long trek, but with the gear packed on their backs, they wouldn’t be traveling fast anyhow.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal awoke with a deep ache all over his body. It made him reluctant to move, but it was also a good pain. One he had dearly missed, finally once Ezra had moved from his side and dressed to head outside the man followed suit. Pulling on his clothes as quickly as his sore body could muster he soon crawled out of the tent slinging his rifle over his shoulder.

Standing tall he scanned the wastes around them. The place was pockmarked with scorch patterns and signs of sustained burns. What the fire found to burn out here was beyond him, he just hoped it wasn't a horse and a chabbit that had fueled the flames while he and Ezra slept. The rest of their camp was in disarray though nothing looked broken or destroyed, just very dusty. He smiled down at Ezra as he passed the fire and the rewarming breakfast.

"Lucky for us our animals know and like each other. Vash will protect Clove so if we find one we should be able to find the other." Squatting down her poured out some water and put a couple of herbs Deck had left them into the water in an attempt to make some morning tea for them.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Taking the tea, Ezra nodded to the gunman before pulling out two plates and filling them with food. “I’m pretty sure I know where to start looking,” she said, her eyes falling to a series of lines she had made in the dirt only a few minutes before. She had created a map of sorts. Based on what she could make out with her field glasses, the way to the east looked to be the most suspect in terms of destruction from the hot zones they were trying to avoid. Instinctually, the animals should keep away from that area, and the northern side was blocked by rocky cliffs. That left only two directions they could travel, and hopefully there would be at least one sign to show which one they chose.

After she showed him the etching, she handed over his breakfast, the face she made apologetic for the lack of thought that went into making it. It was food and would fill their stomachs, but the thick stew was barely warmed and hardly suited as a morning meal. Picking at the contents on her own plate, Ez concentrated on drinking her tea, her stomach already complaining at the small amount of vegetables she managed to put in it.

“I’ll start packing things up,” she said, her plate set aside when it was half emptied. “I want to get an early start, especially if we have to back-track. Anything you think we can leave behind, we should bury...or hide...if we can. No reason to carry more than we have to...maybe cut down to just one tent?” The implications were obvious and she didn’t bother to elaborate, the past evening still fresh enough in her memory to cause a flush of warmth to cascade over her body. She didn’t want to give that part of their relationship up again, and if that made her selfish, she was willing to live with that.

Getting to her feet, she brushed the dust from her clothes and smiled at Jack for the first time that morning. It was strained, but it was genuine. It had been a while since she had enjoyed his company like she had last night, and the afterglow that resulted would keep her content for the day.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal returned Ezra's smile and studied the map she drew while he ate. It was as good a start as any, if got close enough he could let out the shrill whistle he trained Vash to react to and they'd at least be able to find him and he still assumed Clove would stick close to the Chabbit or vice versa. He downed the food quickly and helped Ezra pack things up. Though when to came to things to bury or leave behind he was at a loss.

The track for the animals would be something to leave at least until they found them again same with one tent. But those were the only things he could think of and that still left them carrying a bit. Food, what little water they had, weapons ammo, one tent fire building tools not to mention any spare clothes or other gear they had. Picking up what he called essential he began looking for a means to hide some of their stuff, but they were in a barren landscape. Maybe they could dump it in one of the hole from the lighting storm from last night. Some of them were decently deep and they could likely put some dirt in the holes. There was even the option to just leave them right here, sure mutants roamed this part of Ragged America, but out here it was mostly flat they could see one coming.

Deciding to just leave the tack and extra tent he found a big enough hole and began shoving dirt on top of the items. It would be a pain in the neck to clean them off once they get Clove and Vash back, but Ezzy was right. No sense in doing more work when you're at the gates of hell already. Once that was done he rejoined her unslinging his rifle from his shoulder and pulling his hat down to cover more of his eyes. "Lead the way Ezzy, hopefully we can find them before something else does."

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 LastLast