Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) The Treasure of the Lost Mountains IC (bluemoon x Siks apocy RP) (M)

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra awoke with a start, a huffed breath escaping her as her heart hammered in her chest. "What the f..." she began, grabbing her Glock from under the pillow with a practiced jab. A heavy book fell from her chest as she sat up and she spared it a fleeting glance as she surveyed the rest of the room, her gun leading the search. Where the hell is he? she thought, pretty sure she recognized the vigilante by his voice and smelling the smoke of a pipe close by. The blanket over the entrance swayed slightly from recent movement and she focused her attention towards it as she grabbed at her clothes with one hand and began dressing. She had already noticed the slant of the sun coming in through the bedroom window and silently cursed herself for sleeping in.

"I know you're here Lawless. Get your 'bouncy' ass in here and face me like a man!" She was almost positive it was him--no one else would be stupid enough to enter her home without an invitation. She only remembered the conversation from last night in bits and pieces, but she was sure they had made an arrangement of some sort. "Whatever I promised you last night..." and then it came to her and she started laughing. "Oh yeah...treasure." Despite her hang-over and the rude awakening, she laughed full out, sitting back on the bed and allowing the gun to settle beside her. She shook her head, both at the foolish idea and at her willingness to lead such an expedition.

With small bouts of stifled laughter, Ez got back to preparing for the journey ahead, opening a trunk in the corner of the room and removing her sword and smoke grenades. A full pack lay at the bottom, already filled for the previously planned scavenging trip. She strapped on her supplies and weapons, placing the Glock into a holster at her hip and securing it to her leg. She took a long drink of water as she waited for the man to show himself, her hand absently rubbing the spot between her breasts where the book had landed. She couldn't decide if she was more angry at him for the assault or at herself for sleeping in and allowing this to happen. His words to her last night filtered through her head--something about not being late or he would use his particular set of skills to find her. A small smile crept over her features as she imagined him asking for directions to her home. Not a soul in Carousel would refuse his request--they were terrified of the man. Skills, my ass, she thought as she moved closer to the door.

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The tall man smirked around his pipe despite how annoyed he was at her. It's not often he gives someone a rude awakening without killing them. He let her have the privacy to get dressed as he puffed away on his pipe.
    "Be glad I didn't shoot you Ms. Bastian. Or take back the coins I paid you with last night. But allow me to give you my compliments on how good you look in just a tank-top and panties, not many women in the wastes have the body to pull that off. It's a wonder some dusty cowpoke hasn't whisked you away yet."

He listened to her thunk around her small bedroom as he glanced at the sunbeams watching the time slip slowly away from them. Once he was sure she was done and dressed he breezed through her blanket door smoke listing gently up from the bowl on his pipe. He scanned her up and down his tense studying expression firmly in place. At least she had the forethought to have bag packed for an expedition, she was well hungover, but they had work to do his gear was already stowed and waiting in the saddle of his Chabbit back at the Coyote. He hoped she would have a little bit more control on the road, he didn't feel like babysitting a grown woman and keeping his eyes on the horizon to see what flavor of death was going to come get them once they get past the borders of the"civilized" lands.

This would be an interesting partnership it seems. He relight the pipe and puffed it a few times before turning on his heel and heading for the blanket. "I hope you don't mind, but I had to kick your door in to be your alarm clock. I'm sure we can rig something up to keep it closed so nothing gets stolen." And with that he slipped through the blanket and Ez could hear his heavy boots cluncking down the steps to the first floor of her shack and out her front door.
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 02-24-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

He's a feisty one, Ez surmised as she listened to Lawless's complaints on her behalf. She smirked at his "supposed" compliment, appraising him as he did her. Little did he know that no man would be foolish enough to spend a lifetime with her...at least not one that she approved of yet. However, it didn't stop her from sampling the pot, so to speak. As the man turned to leave, she started after him, pausing for a moment before returning to her trunk and pulling out a bottle of moonshine. It was always good for trading...and for long lonely nights.

After the sound of his footfalls faded, Ezra made her way out, with just the briefest of glances at the destruction of her doorway. Splintered wood and broken hinges met her gaze. Cheap ass door, she thought absently, although she knew it had been made strong enough to resist unwanted guests. When she neared the Coyote, Liddie nearly ran into her behind the dilapidated tavern, additional supplies in her arms.

"I was coming to give 'ese to you," she said with a wink. "Extra supplies for your long journey."

Ez took the supplies, eyeing the woman suspiciously. "More hardtack?"

"I know you hate it, but it lasts forever...and I also got crystal honey."

"I guess that makes up for it," she said with a sigh. Honey was hard to get, the nearest bee colony nearly a days ride away. The damn insects were huge and mutated--vicious to the core. Farming honey from their hives was a close call with the ferryman every time. Liddie usually had a supply for her mead, and the fact that she gave some to Ezra meant she was trying to make up for something--and Ezra knew just what that "something" was.

"I'm sorry about pointing you out to Lawless," Liddie whispered, the real reason for her meeting exposed. "...but you got to admit, he is your type."

"My type..." she scoffed, "...and what exactly is that?"

"You know...um...tall."

With that the two women started to laugh, Ezra finishing with a shake of her head. "He ain't my type, Lid. Although I do like them tall." She sniffed, trying to hold back another fit of laughter. "Yeah, he is damn tall...and an ass. Which ain't too bad either." Her eyebrows went up with the last comment, the double meaning apparent to them both. A snicker passed between them before Ezra shouldered the extra supplies.

"I should be back in a few weeks or so...maybe a month. Have Jed fix my door and keep my seat warm." She hugged Liddie tight to her, her mouth close to her ear. "You owe me, big, for this one." Following the exchange, Ezra made her way to the rest of the group, not surprised to see that some of them looked as hung over as she felt. A white dappled horse was saddled up for her, the animal sporting little hair and cloven hooves. It was a reliable ride, although a little slow, but always her go-to animal for long trips. With her arrival, the other members of her group mounted their rides, a mixture of horses, oxen, and wagons. She looked only at Jackal, appraising him openly as she bit her lower lip. Her type? Hmmm. She wasn't so sure, but only time would tell.

She swung her right arm out in a forward motion. "Let's head out!" she called. "Jackal, by me. I want to see this map of yours." She mounted her horse, patting its neck gently. "First stop, the watering hole. Eyes sharp everyone, keep your guns handy, we all know what could be waiting for us."
    Last edited by bluemoon; 01-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal's mind was already on the road ahead as the rest of Ez's expedition group arrived and completed their final preparations. The Vigilante took note of all the untrusting and sometimes downright hateful glares he got from the group made him quickly pull out his revolver and check the rounds with a sharp flick of his wrist and the crisp clack of the cylinder going back in place.

It was more of a non-verbal threat than something he really needed to check. He recognized the crude tattoos on some of them that told him of their past connections to the Black Jacks. He only went after the active members of the criminal group, the retirees or lowest ranking grunts weren't worth the bother to hunt down when his goal was to destroy the brass in charge of the group. The untouchables, the "Gods" as it were, but they all bled and Gods don't bleed.

The glares turned away and the man clicked his tongue then followed it with a shrill whistle. It appears his ride had wandered off, probably looking for some shade. Vash never liked the glaring sun if he could avoid it, he waited for a few seconds then a strange whistling snort came from behind the Coyote, then the soft heavy thump of Vash was heard going begrudgingly back towards Jackal. Soon a Chabbit stuttered and came to Jackal's side. The creature was 9 feet tall and covered with tough dust-resistant fur and scales underneath. Vash was tamed by Jackal a few years back and has been reluctantly with the man ever since. The mutated mounts were a proud species to begin with, but once they got tamed they remain loyal. Their just as fast as horses, but tougher.

He swung up into the sloped saddle and clicked his tongue wheeling his mount up besides Ez and her horse. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a long piece of folded parchment made of animal skin, holding it close he opened it to Ez making sure none of her little group were trying to look over their shoulders. It was too risky to let just anyone see the map, Jackal's been on trips where that has happened before. They always end in greed overcoming sense and death being the only anyone got rewarded with.

Holding his finger out he showed the woman the long winding path that led across the wastes with various handwritten marks and notes in the margin denoting dangers, towns, resource spots, known raider spots, and a few more things. Looking over at Ez the tall man nodded.
    "If we keep a steady pace and can avoid all these danger spots and raiders we should find the Mountains before the dust season comes."

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra looked at the map with interest, committing the route to memory by associating many of the noted locations with places she had already traveled. A lot of time and effort had gone into the map, although it was crudely drawn. She was impressed with the information and hoped it was accurate. They would be betting their lives on it.

After a few moments, she nodded, the route firmly planted in her mind. She agreed with Jackal's calculation for their arrival to the mountains, but the likelihood of not encountering any trouble was very scarce. She hoped to convince some of her party to venture with them on the journey, although most had not planned for more than a few days travel. A few of the men she would not trust, but she had already seen the vigilante's gaze skirt over them...and their tattoos. She knew his history with the Black Jacks--she had her own history with them as well, although not as involved as his. She was sure that he would not allow them to be part of the crew and she wouldn't argue. It was his money after all that was funding the trip.

With an appraising glance at Jackal's mount, Ezra steered her horse to the front of the line, inviting him to take her side if he chose. With the sun directly in her eyes, she squinted as she rode, grabbing for her hat that she kept in a saddle bag by her thigh. She placed it firmly on her head, tilting it down to shade her hazel bloodshot eyes. The light-colored leather was well worn, a faded inking on the side. The hats rim was a darker shade, but also of the unusual skin. She wondered idly if Jackal would recognize it for what it was.

"It's an hours ride to the watering hole. We'll spend the day there, maybe get in a few more hours of travel after dinner. Hopefully, fresh fish," she stated. The water source had once been a dam that provided water and power to a small town. It had been buried since the fall of humanity and the waters were clean and devoid of radiation. After discovery, the rock was blasted, opening what was now a small reservoir that served as a good camping spot for travelers. Water and fish were aplenty for a small party. There were also streams inside a few caves, but few ventured in for fear of encountering wild life. Most of Ezra's trips started here--typically the only place where one could sleep with only one eye open.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The man nodded quickly folding up the map and stuffing it back into the inner pocket of his coat once again glancing back over the rough band behind them. They were skittish quickly checking their own weapons. Bullets were a bit of a rarity in the wastes so he knew any shots that might find his way in to his back would be killshots. But any move he didn't like would be answered with a killshot and his reputation would likely keep many but the most foolish from pulling the trigger at least this early in the trip.

He nodded and urged his ride to be neck and neck with Ez and her horse while keeping his eye on the other men in the company. Between his own instincts and a Chabbit's sixth sense for danger Jackal felt safe keeping pace with his guide. He nodded to the woman's human skin hat and pulled his own down over his eyes to keep the sun out.
    "Impressive human skin hat Ez, hard to find someone willing to do it." He clicked his tongue and moved Vash into a steady fast walk.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra smirked at Jackal's comment. "You'd be surprised...or perhaps not," she responded, with a subtle lift of her eyebrow. "Most things can be bought for the right price." She glanced briefly at him, appraising him anew in the late morning light. He was nothing like what she had imagined from all the stories. The darkness of the tavern had left so much in shadow, and with her hangover ebbing, she was finally feeling a bit more perceptive. She had truly expected a ten foot ogre, complete with fangs, a fantasy just like most reputations would make you believe. He was taller than most, grim, and a pain in the ass, but still just a man. She figured she could deal with him well enough.

Time seemed to drag. Ez kept the pace steady while trying to ignore the building tension in the group. On several occasions she looked back at the others, noticing their growing discomfort with the vigilante in their midst. Even her horse was reacting to the building tension, the gelding puffing in agitation at the closeness of the Chabbit to its flank. "Tell me, are we going to have problems here?" she asked him in a quiet tone, pulling her mount up just short of the first destination. Finding volunteers to travel with them to the mountains may turn out to be more of an issue than she had at first thought.

The watering hole was little more than a small lake or large pond, depending on how you cared to look at it. The opaque surface shimmered in the light, a few small bubbles popping amidst a gentle rippling the only disturbance. Ezra stayed in her saddle next to the man as the others spread out along its edges, unpacking their belongings, their attention seemingly on the task at hand, but their glances towards her telling her otherwise. She knew most of the men well, some better than others, but she was not sure how they would react to this perceived threat. She didn't know Lawless in the least, but she knew his reputation. The problem was, he wasn't the only killer among them.
    Last edited by bluemoon; 01-07-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal shrugged jumping down from Vash's saddle and tying the beast to a tree with enough grass around the bottom to keep the Chabbit busy. Looking at the woman he pulled out his canteen and took a sip of it spitting out some dust that managed to get into the leather wrapped tin container.
    "If they don't pull on me first we shouldn't. I killed the brass of the Black Jacks from the Lieutenants on up. The group is destroyed any of these grunts out here have only bluster and stupidity to back them now."

He pulled his hat off shaking some sand out his dirty blonde hair. Cupping his hands he scooped up some water and splashed the cool liquid on his face and running a few droplets through his hair cooling his face and head off. Replacing the hat he stood up shaking the water from his hands and returning to his steed pulling out three more canteens. Each of them was empty and usually he only needed the one and just kept the rest as back-ups. And seeing as this would likely be the last decent water they would find for awhile he needed to stock-up. Kneeling by the water he began filling the canteens up in silence as his eyes glanced around at the other men.
    "So how long will we be stopping for Ez?"
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 01-10-2018 at 04:44 AM.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra stayed on her mount, regarding Jackal silently. If he single-handedly reduced the higher ranks of the Black Jacks by himself, as he suggested, he might be more dangerous than she had at first anticipated. It would make no matter unless one of the others did draw on him, which she hoped would not happen. She would have to talk with the others to make sure it did not happen.

"It shouldn't be longer than a few hours," she responded to his question. "Take advantage of the water, it'll be the last for a few days." She tipped her hat, then dug her heels into the flank of her horse, trotting further away. When she reached the other men, she dismounted.

"Gabriel," she called. A moderately tall and heavily muscled man turned in her direction. He would have been attractive if not for a deep scar on his right cheek that radiated from his brow to chin. The skin puckered along its length and pulled the right side of his lip up in a permanent smirk. His attention was drawn to her, darting for a second towards the vigilante, then returning. "A moment?" she asked.

"Right." He dropped his gear, making a bigger deal of it than it was, winking at the men before making his way to her. He stepped in close, his face only inches from hers. The smell of fermented alcohol hung on his breath, his smirk only adding to the uncaring attitude. "Yeah?"

Ezra forced herself to keep her ground. It wasn't fear, and she wasn't intimidated. It was more the need for clean breathing space. "I need you to keep the other men in check." She cast her eyes in the direction of Jackal. "We don't need any unwanted killing before we even start scaving, do we?"

The man chewed the inside of his cheek as if digesting her words. "Don't like 'im none." He said with a scowl, the look only making his scar more prominent.

"...you don't need to."

"Yeah, well...still don't...and I ain't promisin' nothin'. You can't jus' add..."

Ezra grabbed the man by the collar of his shirt, stopping him short. His face was kissing close and she opened her mouth in a grimace, growling out her words. "I pay you to keep peace....and you will keep peace." She smiled at him then, her lips forming a tight line with teeth clenched. "If you fucking mess this up, I'll personally tear you apart." With a shove, she released him, his feet backpedaling before regaining his balance.

"Yes...boss," he growled in response, brushing his clothes off where her hands had been. "Temper...temper," he said in a low mocking whisper as he turned away, spitting on the ground as he stalked off.

Ezra stood fuming, watching him as he joined the others, his voice low as he talked to the men. Their glances were divided between her and Lawless, their heads bobbing and shaking. Only time will tell, she thought with disgust. Gabe was in her employ, but he mostly did as he pleased, keeping everyone safe as long as she lined his pockets. She had slept with him once, something she still regretted, and he thought of her more as an equal than as an employer. She wasn't sure she could trust him, but there wasn't anyone else.

Roughly grabbing the saddle bags from her horse, Ez stomped to the farthest side of the watering hole, making sure she had a good vantage point. A small area of the pond was sectioned off from the rest by a narrow inlet. Boulders and sparse vegetation skirted the secluded area. Sitting on the edge, she filled her water bladders, the cool water bubbling into the thin-skinned leather quickly. Angrily, she cupped water onto her face, breathing deeply, until she calmed herself down. She was anxious, but determined to take advantage of the rare chance to bathe. Stripping down, she slid into the calm water up to her neck. Her right hand remained on the shore, her fingers wrapped tightly around the grip of her Glock. The neck of the moonshine protruded from the saddle bag and she looked at it longingly, wishing she could have a drink. The men had settled in, most of them now fishing or getting wood for a fire. Gabe sat alone on a rock bench, watching her, his dark eyes squinting but not from the sun. Desire? Hate? Maybe both. Ezra wasn't sure, but she knew he was going to be trouble and she may have made it worse.
    Last edited by bluemoon; 01-10-2018 at 03:45 AM.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal watched Ez as she moved off to talk with one of the men. The Vigilante remembered him from a couple of wanted posters in the Durcell town hall. Gabriel something, he looked to be some kind of underboss or Ez's second in command. He talked with some of the men, but even though he couldn't tell what was being said he knew the whispers and looks the men were giving him.

Ms. Bastain seemed to be making a preemptive strike at keeping the peace. He hoped she had that kind sway over this group of ruffians, but he wasn't going to hold his breath. He pulled his corn-cob pipe from the saddle bag and stuffed some rough cut tobacco into the bowl. He struck a match and lit the tobacco puffing the clarity bringing smoke into his lungs and letting it swirl around his head as is dissipated into the broken sky above them.

The man wanted to get a little lay of the land so he headed for a small rise near the back of the oasis. It was one of the only high points around and while he's been out in the wastes before he never ventured far on his own. Just deep enough into the dunes to smoke out some Black Jack cockroaches from their hidey holes among the ruins of a large ancient town from before the Fire. As he reached the vantage point he spotted the pile of Ez's clothes and the woman herself sneaking in a quick bath. Well at least that explained why she didn't look like the same five miles of bad road most women in this world did. He kept his eyes on the horizon and not on the woman's body just under the clear surface of the water. He puffed slowly on his pipe his keen studying eyes watching every movement across the sands.
    "Awful brave of you Ms. Bastian, bathing out here when just any asshole can walk in on you being this vulnerable." His words sounded humorous, but his voice didn't reflect the humor. Most social intricacies were still lost on the gunman. It sounded like he was giving her genuine chiding for making a stupid mistake.
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 02-02-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast