Page 1 of 21 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) The Treasure of the Lost Mountains IC (bluemoon x Siks apocy RP) (M)

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Default (M) The Treasure of the Lost Mountains IC (bluemoon x Siks apocy RP) (M)

Live for tomorrow and reap the riches of yesterday.

In the Pacific Northwest of America, a colony of survivors eke out a living in the tucked away town of Carousel. Built upon ruins, the small shanty town barely warrants a star on any map. There is little symmetry to its design with buildings of clay, tin, and wood placed haphazardly along the dusty lanes in an eclectic fashion. Homes are shared, as safety comes in numbers and their numbers are small. As in all towns, there is a central hub, the area where people come together to vie their goods, trade, and celebrate. It is within this area of commerce that the story begins--in a dilapidated tin shed, barely standing and featuring home brewed moonshine, ale, and mead.

-------------------------------------

The Crazy Coyote was busy that evening, most tables filled to capacity and a haze of smoke choking the fetid space. In one corner a card game was in session, the participants laughing and smacking the table with enthusiasm as they called for more ale. Everyone was talking, joking, sharing stories--the level of noise leaving a hum in the air. A lone harmonica player stood at one corner of the bar playing a tune that no one heard--his gnarled fingers tapping a beat on the wooden surface of the bar. Liddie, the bar-keep, stood behind the bar, her full figure swaying to and fro as she tried to keep up with the demand.

It was in the other corner, farthest from the door, that Ezra-Rayne sat and observed the activity, her booted feet occupying the chair opposite hers. She gulped the last of her moonshine from a smoky glass and pushed at the contents of a stew which sat before her, uneaten, the glop barely edible and the meaty contents unknown. She rose a bit unsteadily, pushing her chair in, and made her way to the bar for another. Raising her hand to get Liddie's attention, she was surprised to see the barkeep's eyes suddenly widen in shock as she turned towards the door.

"The Jackal has entered the Coyote," Liddie stammered barely above a whisper.

Ez managed to read her lips, but scrunched up her face in confusion. She turned to see what had startled the woman and noticed the tall shadow that filled the entranceway. It was the cowboy hat and long coat that gave him away. None other than Jackal Lawless, she thought. His reputation preceded him in most towns and Carousel was not an exception. Ez, feigning disinterest, took her drink from Liddie, the woman's mouth now hanging agape as she stared at the newcomer, and returned to her table. She sipped her drink, trying to pace herself and laughing inwardly at the quiet that came over the bar as the man entered. She observed him, peering over her glass as he spoke to Liddie. To her surprise, the barkeep pointed in her direction and he began making his way over to her.

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Another day in Ragged America and another reason to find a way to a better life. Jackal had just entered Carousel acting on the information that a skilled tracker was living in town. Someone verse in the wastes and crazy enough to chase after a myth, but more importantly cheap enough for the out of work vigilante to bring on with the few copper or steel chips he had left to his name.

Her name was Ezra-Rayne Bastian, she was extremely rough around the edges from what he's heard about her, but she was a skilled Tracker and Scavenger. He knew his way around the wilds sure, but he's never been a Scavenger or a Hunter and someone with those skills would be more valuable out in the wilds around what was left of America than some soft-spoken scholar.

People moved out of his way as he moved towards the Crazy Coyote bar. Carousel wasn't a small place, but if society has taught him one thing it's that life will always gather around places that sell alcohol. And many revolutions begin the same way, as he pushed the door open and glared around the bar no one looked him in the eye nor did they move to even acknowledge his existence. But the bartender Liddie was the one who told him Ms. Bastian hangs around the Coyote most days she's not out scavving. And as the woman pointed the tracker out Jackal removed his hat and moved to Ez's table placing his hat down on it studying her closely she was pretty, but also wild looking...she would do.

"Ms. Bastian I presume?" He asked straightening his hair some waiting for her answer.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ez watched the vigilante approach, noting his gait, or rather his saunter, as he made his way to her table. His direct stare was piercing and she had to force herself to return it, taking in his long blonde hair before focusing on his face. By candlelight, his eyes were striking, the cold grey color hiding his emotions--if he even had any left after his experiences in Durcell. Rumor had it he had killed hundreds of men after being ratted out by a lover. He had done this single-handed, without remorse--all in one night. Like that's possible, she doubted.

By force of will, she pulled her gaze away, looking past him to the bar. Liddie was staring, as she expected, and Ez narrowed her eyes and glared at her. He spoke, his voice low and penetrating. Damn it, what has Lid gotten me into now? she wondered.

"Hmmm..." she responded softly, "I guess that depends, Mr. Lawless, on what you're looking after." She raised her eyebrows at him in question, almost suggestively, before pushing back a stray patch of hair that was hanging in her face. Her eyes went to his hand that was raking through his hair, tracking the movement. She felt the room spin and her head began to ache. I'm drunk, damn it. This is not the time.

"Sit down...please...before I break my neck looking up." She pushed the chair across from her out to him with her foot, moving the disgusting stew and his hat to the side of the table. "Everyone calls me Ez--I suppose you should too."
    Last edited by bluemoon; 12-13-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal nodded slowly, she spoke quite professionally for someone he was told is just a junkman with tits. Maybe traveling with her wouldn't be such an annoyance. He moved the chair back a little more and sat himself down waving his hand for Liddie to bring him some whiskey. He didn't drink much, it makes a man stupid and makes his thirst greater, but protocols like hiring a traveling companion require they share a drink at least once to seal the deal.

He took note of her almost suggestive tone logging the option away for later. The nights do get cold out in the Wastes, but he was here for a far more important reason. Waiting for Liddie to bring him the drink he watched her closely his gaze making her more uncomfortable with each step. She placed the small glass of dark amber colored liquid and scurried as quickly as she could back behind the safety of her bar. He sniffed the drink and could feel his eyes watering, he knew it was gonna burn like gasoline, but maybe it would be a good burn.

Lifting the glass he took a small sip hmming gently. It was a mix between a good burn and a bad one and one that told him this would be his only drink.
    "Well then I guess you might as well call me Jackal...Ez." He placed his glass down and leaned back in the chair is long legs stretching out across the floor. He had to adjust his pistol belt a little, but soon he was comfortable enough to begin discussion. "Our nervous mutual friend over there tells me you're one of the best Trackers and Scavvers in Carousel is that true? And if it is what are some of the biggest or most valuable claims you've found?" He had heard about a few of the woman's exploits from Liddie and other townspeople, but he always believed the best information comes right from the horse's mouth as it were.
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 02-23-2018 at 01:51 AM.

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ez's skin prickled from Jackal's constant stare, but she refused to be intimidated by the man. She stared back, only allowing her gaze to falter when Liddie brought him a drink. With a deep sigh, she showed her displeasure, both at the bar maid and him. She drank when he did, following the motion of his hand as he stretched out. For a moment she froze, her right hand dipping to her waist to grip her pistol--then he began to speak.

She leaned towards him as he spoke, the noise from the bar and her head making it difficult for her to hear him. She mouthed his name silently, shortening it to Jack in her head.

"The best?" she repeated. "Maybe, but since there is only one other tracker in Carousel that really is not saying much...now is it?" Her tone was mocking, her speech slightly slurred. "..as for scavenging, my claims are many. I have found a collection of silver coins, ammo aplenty, even a few rifles--only they weren't good for nothing but parts. I even found a lost pet once...not sure why anyone would pay to have me search for that, but they did." She bit her lower lip, worrying it as she paused.

"Why you asking? Are you looking for something particular? Cause I don't keep things around for long. And if you are needing a tracker, you better be ready to head out in the morning, cause I've got plans." She looked hard at him, trying to read his face and failing. "...and... if you don't stop staring, I'm going to add a little moonshine to those grey gems. I ain't on the menu, not tonight, I'm drunk and I'm tired and you're starting to piss me off."

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Jackal hmmed softly continuing to watch the drunk woman as she spoke. He hoped she'd be more sensical on the road. The lawman slowly sipped his whiskey logging all this away for later. She didn't seem like a hunter, but finding a lost pet did lend credence to her skills as a tracker at least.

Placing his glass on the table he quirked his eyebrow at her threat. She was drunk and likely not in the best mindset, but he was here for a reason and might as well get on with it before his would-be tracker passed out.
    "I am simply studying what I might be dealing with for a few weeks. I am here to see if you wish to be part of an expedition that could change the future of humanity. I am going to find the Treasure of the Lost Mountains and I need a skilled tracker and scavver to come along. I can pay you some chips to pique your interests and promise you half of any valuables or supplies we come across as well as part of whatever the treasure might be." He finished his drink and placed the glass down with a soft thunk watching Ez and waiting for her response.
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 02-24-2018 at 07:44 PM.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra rested her chin in her hand, elbow on the table, eyes narrowed, as the man spoke. The expression on her face mimicked boredom and frustration, but exhaustion and alcohol were the true causes. She blinked rapidly to stay awake, not relishing the idea that he was studying her, let alone planning to spend a few weeks with her. Her anger simmered down with his calm manner and she took another long pull on her drink, barely containing her humor when she realized what he was after.

"What?" she stammered, laughter spilling out despite her best attempt to stem it. Moonshine sprayed from her lips as she snorted with humor, her hand covering her mouth a little too late. His face remained composed despite her amusement and she realized he was being serious.

"Oh...okay...umm... You do know lots of people have looked for that treasure...and failed? It's a rumor...a legend...kinda' like the stories I have heard about you. I bet those are a bit exaggerated too, eh?" She wiped absently at the droplets of moonshine that dotted the table top, her eyes downcast as she took the last swallow of her drink.

Changing her focus, she looked directly at him, focusing once again on his intense gaze. "Don't get me wrong, I'll take you, it's your money, but I can't promise you any treasure." She shook her head, a smile teasing the corners of her mouth. I can't believe I'm even considering this, she thought. "You really gotta be crazy if you think you're gonna get rich or change humanity. And your few weeks, they will be more like a few months...it's wild in the outlands...bandits, mutants, radiation... You name it, we'll encounter it."

She sighed heavily. "Tell you what, if you are serious, meet me here at the break of dawn. I'm heading out anyways and another body won't hurt any. You give me the coin then and while we are in the wilds, I get to keep whatever I scavy up along the way. Not half, all. And I want half of this little treasure too, if it even exists."

She stuck out her hand, "Deal?"
    Last edited by bluemoon; 12-14-2017 at 12:59 AM.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

For the first since he entered the bar he smiled, but it wasn't a pleasent smile. It was more deviousness and dark humor than elation. He wasn't sure if it was the alcohol she had ingested or if she was always like this either way he was used to negotioations.

Pulling three steel chips from his pocket he placed them in Ez's hand his unpleasent smile still present.
    "Half even all around it is only fair Ms. Bastian, I have done the hard work of getting a location on the mountains themselves and maping our way to them all of which I will keep close at hand." He tapped the pocket inside his long coat. "Besides you'll likely need some help hauling your scav even if you are already heading out with others. I will see you at dawn Ezra." He stood up lifting his hat and walked for the door, he stopped just before and looked back at his would be partner the intense stare from before was back as he locked eyes with her. "One more thing Ms. Bastian, do not be late. The stories about me are true, I have a particular set of skills and I will use them to find you." It wasn't so much of a threat as a simply stated fact, and with that fact hanging in the air between them he pushed the door open and left the formally quiet patrons of the Coyote giving a collective sigh of relief before all of them looked at the drunken woman as if she just made a deal with the Devil himself.
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 12-16-2017 at 12:03 AM.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Ezra stared at the steel in her hand as Jackal walked away, not arguing with his renegotiations, nor agreeing to them. She closed her fist, holding tight to the coins and squeezing them in frustration. The smile on his face had been unsettling, especially when he locked eyes with her again. She pushed back the sickening feeling fluttering in her belly as his warning repeated itself in her head. ...do not be late. The stories about me are true... "Psshh," she said, mostly to herself, but also addressing the other customers. "I guess that's it then, deal stuck." She looked around her, noticing their look of concern, then dismissing it. "It's fine, everything is going to be fine." She waved her hand as though shooing a fly. "Show's over...go back to your drinking."

With considerable effort, Ezra stood and made her way to the exit. There was no sign of the vigilante as she stumbled out, the cool air on her face helping her regain some of her wit and balance. Home was close and she soon fell to her bed, the three coins slipping from her unclenched hand when she hit the pile of blankets. She struggled out of her clothes, before pulling the blankets over her head. "I have skills too," she said to the darkness, "...damned if I don't." In the few moments before sleep overtook her, she imagined herself standing up to him, her back straight and her chin up, an equal adversary. Even in her drunken state she knew she was fooling no one.

At the dawning of the new day, Ezra awoke and squinted painfully at the morning light coming through her window. She groaned, burying herself back under the covers and pulling her knees up to her chest. Nausea, dry mouth, and a persistent ache in her head made her groan again. "One more minute," she whispered...

Sand, everywhere there was sand, and Ezra-Rayne had been digging in it for days. She was coated in it, breathing it in, and devouring it. It was glorious. She had dug with tools and her hands until finding oblong cells in plastic casings, packages of dried food, and most importantly, a working radio. It had all been buried for so long. All this because she had tripped on an exposed metal rod. She was rich! She was famous! She was robbed! Death was knocking at her door now, she heard him, felt the pain of his fists, the burn of his torch. She would have revenge!

Mumbled words, unintelligible, came from her dry lips as she slept fitfully. The dream continued. She tracked them for months, formulating plans and seeing to her revenge. She awoke briefly during this time, a strange thought occurring to her in the short moment of clarity, I should have told him about hunting down the thieves... before she slipped once again into a deep sleep.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

He should've guessed this would happen. Scavvers are unreliable at the best of times, he hoped Ez's reputation would've come with an idea of punctuality. But as he skulked through the early morning streets of Carousel it seemed he was the only one in this damned town who could tell time. Not even the other party the woman talked about had showed up at the meeting point.

He wanted to get some road behind them before fate decided to start throwing monkey wrenches at them in the form of inbred Mutants roaming the wastes or a pack of hungry beasts looking for breakfast. After asking around he found Ez's little shack, it actually wasn't far from the bar which made much sense. It was a two story ramshackle deal that looked to be an old pre-fire building reinforced with heavy wood and steel. Secure enough, but the weakest point of any wall is a door. So walking up he first tested the knob to find it was locked, well at least she wasn't a total fool.

Stepping back a few steps he quickly kicked her door down and let himself in. Inside, the house had a certain refugee charm. But he didn't see a bedroom down here so marching up the steps he quickly found the woman's bedroom. The door was an old blanket hung off some nails, so he pushed passed it and scanned the small room. Like the rest of the shack it had a clean homey look, and the half naked woman sleeping on the mattress did help it. She was dressed in a tank-top with no bra and panties, as he suspected in the bar she was a fine example of woman. Noticeable, but not over the top curves around her chest and hips, a rough pretty face, healthy weight, and strong limbs. She'd be a good one for his other plans, but right now he was pissed and she needed to get her hungover ass up.

He looked around and soon found a large red book on top of a roughly built bookshelf. There were no words on the cover or spine, but if he would hazard a guess he'd say it was some kind of old world dictionary. The book's contents didn't matter though, it was big enough to do the job. Lining up his arm and wrist the vigilante threw the book at the wall above Ezra's bed it hit with a very loud clunk, but then it fell and landed right in the middle of the woman's chest. He quickly ducked out of the room and leaned against the wall besides her bedroom door lighting his old pipe while he waited for her reaction.
    "Time to get your fine bouncy ass up and get to work girly." He said borrowing a line from the Durcell Black Jacks as he puffed softly on the acrid tobacco smoke of his pipe.
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 12-20-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Page 1 of 21 123 ... LastLast