Thread: New Skies, New Home - IC

Dunno where I AM, but I am FROM outer space. XD
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default New Skies, New Home - IC

Entry Number 6 since arrival on our new home planet,

It's not quite been a week, but things are coming along well. Still no contact with any of the fabled super-intelligent beings that frequented stories from my childhood. Starting to doubt any existence of such beings. But even looking at a Hopper or even a pearltusk makes me think that there's still time for any creature to become that which we've only heard of until now.

We just finished setting up the colony's first food storage, we have several people skilled in hunting and foraging out looking for food to keep us going until we get a few crops going to fill that storage. Our first coal deposit was found about two miles south of us, we can use the coal there to fuel our first generators until we find a more renewable source. Maybe even a water based power generator. the river that flows nearby should have enough flow to produce enough electric power to keep us going... I should get back to work, expect another entry tomorrow, as usual.
    Signed, Nick Hellsing, colony overseer.

Closing the book with a slight sigh the man with dark hair and eyes stood up from his desk within his tent and walked back outside for his routine rounds, making sure everybody was doing their jobs. Passing various workers doing their jobs he came to a halt beside a snoozing slacker, one who already made himself named the laziest in the colony. He sat down beside the snoozer and casually said loudly "Good day for a nap, huh?" The snores abruptly stopped and the guy, Bobby, looked at him with a sheepish grin "Err, sorry sir... back to work with myself..." Nick nodded and said "Lights out is at sundown, not a moment before, you can have 3 breaks in between now and lunch to catch your breath, and two more after. other than that I don't want to see you slacking any more, got it?" Bob nodded "Understood sir..." Nick nodded and stood back up to continue his rounds as Bob got back to work.
    Spoiler: Frequently Used Characters 

Anything and everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Oh come on now," Amelia chuckled walking up beside Nick as he and Bob departed each other's company, "that was awfully lenient of you. Haven't gotten all soft being an overseer have you? I imagine your sergeants would be having aneurysms about now seeing you be so nice."

Gently elbowing her superior in the ribs Amelia adjusted the box of metal parts on her hip. She had to admit, it was rewarding work being able to tinker and plan out different parts of the new colony. She had even built a new form of solar paneling a few days ago for their scientists based off some designs she had been working on before they left earth. It kept the same principles of early designs but made the panels much more flexible and efficient. Very useful when attempting to build as much energy up as possible, especially when you could cover buildings in them.

"So I've been thinking about that water system you've been theorizing about," she said finally being serious for once, "it's possible we could divert some of the flow from the river with pipes and use under ground impellers with induction magnets and rods over top so we could power, irrigate, and likely even partially plumb the colony. The pipes would work like underground generators for each housing unit which is safer than a grid and won't cause everyone's power to get knocked out should one generator go bad. Thoughts?"

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nick grinned as Amelia teased him in the way same way she always had. "Do you think I'm too soft, really? Or did you not know I was given this position because unlike the other military officers, I'm the most understanding overseer a colony could ask for?" He then listened to her ideas, a thumb and index finger aligned along his jaw as he thought it over a few seconds. "You know, you could be on to something. I'd like to see an example of how this would work, it sounds feasible in theory, but until I see a working prototype I'll hold off on a final decision for now." He then smiled at her, as though considering saying something else. Though seemed cautious in how to say it.

Anything and everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Oh I knew," Amelia sighed shaking her head, "and I wouldn't have it any other way. Besides who else would let me run all my theories without questioning everything I do? I'd be soooo bored. As for your prototype...."

Amelia shook the box of parts at Nick in an almost mischievous manner. Clearly she had been bringing it up just to cover her ass, and was already started on the prototype. Placing the box back against her hip Amelia raised an eyebrow at Nick. He clearly had something he was struggling to say.

"Got something you want to spit out there oh fearless leader," she chuckled stepping in front of him so he had to stop, "you have this....look on your face....something bothering you?"

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nick sighed and smiled in an almost sad manner. "Been just a bit over a year, since we left Earth... I'm certain between then and now the meteor had hit... and, a year.... is a very long time for some people with nobody to really talk to or to bond with..." he was wearing his dog tags, like normal, but there was an addition to it: two engagement rings, one was his... the other had been his fiance's back on Earth. "We have only been here six days, it'll take a while to get used to... new faces and such... but we're also a fairly small group, there's really only about a thousand or so of us in this colony." he then thought something over, then nodded and said "I guess... I just miss her, is all..."

Anything and everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amelia shifted nervously a little seeming uncomfortable with how personal the conversation had suddenly become.

"Y-yeah," she stammered, "I can understand that......I-I mean we all left someone right? My dad-......I think they'd be proud of this Nick.....really proud.....you're doing great things. Don't forget that. We'll catch up for drinks later yeah? Heard the Scientists have figured out how to brew up something new."

Resettling the box of parts on her hip she patted Nick's shoulder with her free hand and set off toward her tent where she had been working on the prototype. Sighing audibly she put her head down as she walked. Nick was nice, and he could be amazing as an overseer. There was always a but though wasn't there. This time it really wasn't his fault, or because of him either. Amelia had always been difficult to get personal with. Ever since.....they had always been so close and then.....she hated thinking about it.

Tossing the parts down in her tent Amelia sighed and wrenched free a sheet of copper and a length of copper wiring. She needed to work and just forget about it. Didn't matter anyway.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nick watched her leave, after seeming nervous and uncomfortable. He sighed and realized he never got to tell her about the lovely little clearing in the forest. He kinda wanted to show it to her. Oh well, perhaps tomorrow. He shook his head and continued on his rounds.

Vixen of the Heart
    Where reality clashes with the dream world
    Fantasy, though a really good plot goes a long way with team work. But fantasy still rules it all :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So many were concerned about electricity, about clean running water and things of that nature. It kind of sickened her how not even a week in and they are trying to do so much for a simple solution. Corra has been busy in those six days, her bow was made out of a strong branch from these lands that had a good bend to it which is desired for such a weapon. Heat treated over a fire and strung with tightly braided gut strings from an elk before all of this happened. When packing that long time ago she had decided it would be best to pack several strings until she can find a suitable alternative here, instead of packing a bow she always could make again. Space was, and still is crucial.

Where they lived in tents she had built herself a dome dwelling on the outskirts with a little wood and layer after layer of leaves woven together in such a way that any rain would flow over and not through. Keeping her dry during storms. A temporary structure, she was already debating on when her tepee will be ready while dipping something again and again into a barrel. Making candles from some hopper fat and a few herbs for smell and quality, there was no need for electricity here when she can produce her own light. The two hoppers she had killed that morning thanks to a few wire traps were roasting over the fire in front of her. She could hear the occasional sizzle of fat dripping off the carcass and into the flames and did not refrain from smiling. Today has been a productive day so far, between the candles, the food, and skins drying out nearby. She had no worries but many thoughts about the future.

There has to bee more wildlife to eat here than hoppers and tuskies. She thinks to herself, each day she has gone just a little further into the surrounding wilderness and walked around a large perimeter around the settlement to try and familiarize herself with the lay of the land. After another day or so she wanted to go out on her own and really explore, the thought of a sled was debated and quickly tossed into the back of her mind as an option incase she makes enough kills. No, worse comes to shove she can make one on the spot if needed. What she really needs is some feathers for more arrows and figure out the vegetation, see if any herbs would be good to ingest and their medicinal properties. That could be crucial for later. Maybe she will bring some to the medical tents for analysis to skip a few steps seeing she'd rather not try to be her own personal test dummy and have things go wrong.

For now, she dips, dips, keeps dipping until the candles that had a tint of green in them were the right thickness to hang up and let dry with the other ten she had so far drying nearby the hopper pelts. Whistling a little tune while she works.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Now Nick was headed towards the makeshift hut just on the outskirts of the new colony. He knocked lightly on the makeshift door, or what he assumed was a door. "Corra? You in there? Just wanted to see how your day went so far... productive as per usual, I would assume." He then stopped chattering and waited to see if she would open the door, or if she was possibly behind the hut, or she was just a short distance off to make himself look like an idiot, which was more often than not the case in such situations.

Vixen of the Heart
    Where reality clashes with the dream world
    Fantasy, though a really good plot goes a long way with team work. But fantasy still rules it all :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watches from where she has been sitting near the fire for a long while now. Several logs worth of burning at least. Her eyebrow arches when Nick knocks on the door frame of wood lashed together with rope for now. I'm out here not more than four feet to your right, you'd think the meat would tell you that much. She thinks before giving out a soft whistle for Nick to hear and answer his own question. Yes she has been outside this entire time in plain sight. But then again she didn't dress like everyone else, dark green leggings and matching sleeveless, thin tunic. She has hardened buckskin around her midriff in a rich maple color laced together along her spine to help protect her more vital areas. A pair of tall buckskin boots made for just her feet and trusty bow at her side just in case.

When he does see her, Corra points to the meat over the fire and then to the drying hides and candles. "You need to stop assuming and look around you." Is all she says before poking at one of the hoppers with her finger before motioning to the stump of a log beside her. It is almost done and she will share her meal if he wishes. He wanted to check up on her? Or did he had a purpose to this otherwise, he does so much yet in her mind this place is not where it should be, does this weigh on his mind too? Her eyes study his face to try and figure out his mental condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast