Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Skies, New Home - IC

Dunno where I AM, but I am FROM outer space. XD
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"Hmm?" He hummed before looking to his right. "Sorry, you were blending in so well with the forest I honestly didn't see you there." He chuckled nervously. "I prolly looked like an idiot anyway, probably a decent laugh for most people..." when she motioned to the log stump beside her he smiled and said "I only really came to check on you... like I said already... it does seem you have had a productive day though... So I guess my question was answered. So, what is your plan for the next few days?" He asked, genuinely curious what she was planning for the short, mid, and long term.
    Spoiler: Frequently Used Characters 

Vixen of the Heart
    Where reality clashes with the dream world
    Fantasy, though a really good plot goes a long way with team work. But fantasy still rules it all :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She smirks a little looking up at his face with an expression of yes, you looked like a harmless fool, just a little. The glint in her eyes, how the firelight reflects off of her orbs probably didn't help, nor did the fact that the smirk seems to grow on the other corner of her lips until she is actually smiling.

"I always have a productive day, if someone makes a fire and cooks for themselves it's a productive day with that alone." With Nick revealing what was on his mind Corra took a moment to think while walking over her newly finished candle to the rack where it could hang by the long wick and take the time to dry. Brushing her hands off the side of her thighs she looked around her camp to help with the answer he was seeking.

Returning to the fire the woman points to the three hopper pelts and the one tusk hide, all in various stages of the tanning process stretched tightly on wooden racks. "The tusk will be ready by tonight for a good smoking to weather proof it, first hopper to the right of the hide needs another scraping before I soak it, then if this weather holds the two I killed this morning will be dry enough tomorrow to begin." She explains, before turning her attention to the round hut of hers. "That is my biggest project right now, I think for the area that teepees are going to be the best option. They are mobile and until stone houses can be built, they will provide the best protection from the elements. I need a few more tusk hides to have enough for my own however." Her right hand rose up so that her somewhat callused fingers can tuck so strands of hair back behind the ear. "Tomorrow I intend to really explore further, we know very little and it is unsettling. I cannot pretend that it sits right with me Nick. If others are feeling the same I will no object to arranging a small party for departure at dawn." She voices out loud, right now their strengths were in what technology they have and their numbers, she can at least make one of those an advantage for her.

Turning her gaze away from the hut and to the leader's face now. Corra hesitates before speaking out again "how far has the others come? I heard rumors in the other camps about electricity and power being a top priority. If this is the case I highly disagree."

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nick listened to her plan and said "I'll see if anyone would like to join in," then she asked if the rumor of power and electricity being the highest priority were true. To which he nodded and said "Well, we are a civilized people, and Not many know how to survive without it, not like you obviously do. But regardless. What do you think is a higher priority?" He asked, wondering what her opinion was.

Vixen of the Heart
    Fantasy, though a really good plot goes a long way with team work. But fantasy still rules it all :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"I leave at dawn, if they wish to meet me here that would be ideal." She agrees, hoping that there were at least a couple of brave souls willing to expand their knowledge of this place and that could handle themselves. Sitting back down on the tree stump she shakes her head a little as fingers wrap around a long fire hardened stick she used to move a burning log in the fire to a better position. "Food, water, shelter, and defense. Those are the four key things we need to be striving for, that and working together. People need to be lowering their expectations around here, it may never be like what we had at earth. Best to accept that now."

Setting the poking stick down after pressing the tip into the dirt she looks back up to Nick's face. "If there are others that are willing to learn I am willing to show them how to survive. That is my purpose here, that and I know I can't be the only one who knows how to do things to aid in survival. Who else do you know of? You have been commander of our journey for over a year en route to this world. Have you not talked to others? Developed plans?"

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nick nodded, he should have figured. "Food is set, the river has a similar molecular structure and composition as the water on Earth, so we're ok there, I would assume. Shelter should be sufficient for now. And several handfuls of workers are erecting a wall around the peremeter as we speak. We will also have a scout tower on every corner of the wall with our best marksmen posted there. We have enough sharpshooter to keep the towers manned with up to 3 men at all hours of the day in 6 hour shifts, I can only assume defense is sufficient for now, however we will be training several others as well, in the event of an accident to make sure those defensive positions remain manned." He thought for a moment and asked "Does it sound fairly sufficient?" He then said after her question of any plans he'd made or who he had met in his year of being commander. "I have met a wide variety of people who were on the ship, but only made plans with the most skilled of each group. It seemed the logical option."
    Last edited by AxelVanDeriz; 12-19-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Vixen of the Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She was glad to hear that the man did have a good handle on things. Yes, there has been some improvements but she had her own list of priorities for a colony like this too. "The tents will do for now, yes. But I'd like to see stone structures built I think as a step up. They can be stones found anywhere and with a little mud mixed compound...it would make it pretty sound. I've seen some of the grass here and talked to others, we all concur that a thatch roof would do best. I'd rather not bring down a lot of trees for wood when there are other resources."

Standing up the woman takes another look around "it's probably a good idea for a perimeter now that you mention it." That wasn't much in the way of her expertise but from a survival stand point it would help better their odds of survival. Tucking a few stray strands of hair behind the left ear, her eyes gazed at Nick's face. Thinking a little longer before speaking up, wanting to make sure her words would be to the point. "Wells would be good, that and hunting parties. With as may as we are a tusk will only go so far and quickly run out. We need to find bigger game and search for roots and wild vegetables. If any earth seeds are here, gardens would be important too. If we run out of wild game here then our days are numbered, it will take planning and work I think but duable, with no banks, trade will need to be established."

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nick nodded. "I see. We do have a similar blueprint drawn up for a stone house to house ten to fifteen people. The first handfuls of these houses will be for women and children with no adult men in the family, followed by single pregnant mothers, followed by the families with adult men, and the last few handfuls will be for newlyweds who've been holding off for the last year, and then singles are last..." then she mentioned hunting parties and that a pearltusk will only go so far. "I agree." and then trade was mentioned "Agreed to that as well." Hopefully his heart and mind were both in the right places with his housing ideas.

Anything and everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nick would easily hear Amelia before she arrived. She could hold some of what she had in her hands but the rest trailed behind her clunking and clanging as it bounced across the hard ground. The sight was made a little more comical by the fact that not only was she wrapped in tubes and wires, but she also wore a pair of round, magnified glasses that exaggerated her eyes and made them look about 3-4 times their actual size.

"Nick," she called out as she approached her two fellow colonists at Corra's camp, "you'll never believe this! I've made the system that I told you about but check out what it can do besides!"

Reaching Corra's tent, Amelia set her contraption down and began spreading out some of the more movable parts, wires and tubes and such, and rambling in about what she had discovered.

"So when I first started designing this thing back on earth," she rambled as she hung a tube up on the side of Corra's tanning rack, "I knew the energy out put would be fairly significant, which means that we'd be able to store a pretty good amount for whatever we didn't use. Think of it like batteries or back up electricity for the houses. What I didn't expect was that the water here would be so full of its own back up energy that not only would the turbines create some, but the water itself.....well it's not harmful to us, but it creates its own electrical field! There must be some mineral in it that has enough electrical charge to fuel quite the energy dump. In fact it's enough I wouldn't be surprised if there were upside down waterfalls, and I believe it may be enough we won't have to worry much about frozen rivers should we find this place to have some pretty hard winters....here watch."

Taking a bottle of water that she'd scooped up from the nearby river Amelia poured it in to one of the intake tubes and motioned for Nick and Cora to look at a display she'd rigged near the center.

"Now normally just water would slowly charge those big batteries attached to the generator over the course of say roughly 12 to 24 hours per battery, however this water..."

Rather rapidly over the course of a couple minutes the percentage meter for the first battery jumped from 2% to almost 20%. Smiling proudly Amelia wiped a bit of grime off of her forehead and moved over toward another section where she'd rigged up a make shift sort of sink.

"And ten times in 3.4 seconds isn't the only impressive thing this baby can do," she said beaming, "the cleaning and filtering may still need a little work, but, and again this is just a prototype, I've also got it set up for running water. Would you like hot or cold?"

Running a bit of cold water Amelia flicked it at Nick and Corra gently sprinkling them in cool refreshing mostly clean river water. Taking a separate bottle from a pouch at her side Amelia filled it wil some of the filtered water and held it up next to the earlier sample straight from the river.

"See how much clearer it is already," she asked holding them up, "I haven't run all the tests yet to make sure it's 100% safe or at least as safe as our water back home, but it will certainly work for not at least for washing our clothes and bodies. I can at least say it is safe for skin. So what do you think?"

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nick heard the banging and clanging long before he saw the source. He knew who it was, most likely though. Turning to the comical sight, he couldn't help but chuckle a bit, then cleared his throat when she said she had a prototype ready for him. "Good, good, show me." he said before she started rambling on what she'd discovered. Nick was fascinated, but also thoughtful. 2% to 20% on these smaller batteries was pretty impressive, but what of the larger batteries back near the generators? Those were almost as tall as he was and almost twice as thick. He looked up at her and voiced this concern "two percent to twenty is pretty impressive on smaller batteries like this. But what about the ones back next to the generators? Wouldn't they fill a lot slower?" Either he had a decent point, or he didn't know much about a lot of the tech they had. Hopefully he had a point and one worth testing, "say it is much faster than normal water, but still quite a while, say 6 to 8 hours... there can be a few things that can happen in those 8 hours that would render the batteries useless." If she asked what kind, he rambled off a small list of things, hoppers chewing the wires, or rampaging pearltusks, or a strong lightning storm, among a few others.

Anything and everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Well that's just it," Amelia chuckled, "all I used just now was a small amount of water. Not even close to the amount that will come rushing in from that river. By my calculations it would take about hmmmmm say 2 maybe 3 hours? Still a good chunk of time I know, but we are talking batteries the size of a pickup truck that can power a regular household for two to three weeks. Even ten minutes of charge from this system will keep you running for a good two to three days. And the best part is we'd bury them beneath the ground so it would be hard to cause any damage to them. Might not be a bad idea to bury the batteries as well. Keep them grounded in case of faults, and again protect them from outside forces. Fortunately this thing is adaptable and this isn't even as big as it can be made. The bigger it is the more energy it can make and collect. Our biggest threat would be the river drying up.......'Spose I should look in to maybe some solar or wind related options too.....solar would be more practical."

Clearly lost in her own mutterings Amelia placed a hand on her chin and stared fixedly at the ground. Nick always had good points and it would almost always set her mind a buzz trying to problem solve. It gave her a challenge she welcomed with open arms. Most of the colonists were happy with just doing menial tasks and fixing what they already had, but Amelia saw the potential of this place and knew that she could make things here that weren't possible on earth. It was a planet different enough from their own that there would always be plenty of things to find and make something out of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12