Thread: Superhero RPG

The Invisible One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Superhero RPG???

Superheroes. I love 'em. You (hopefully) love 'em. Who doesn't love a good superhero story? However, here on RPA, it appears that a majority of Superhero RPG's fall away into the depths of the recycling bin. Even I had to say goodbye to a beloved superhero RP. So I was thinking. If so many people like superheroes, why have there only been a handful of successful ones here? That's what I would like to talk about today. If you were going to join a Superhero RPG, what would you want it to be like? Would you want it to take place in a school setting where the characters have to learn to use their powers? Something more open where the characters are already at least somewhat skillful? Something completely unique to anything you've ever seen? What do you want to see? Tell me. Or else. just kidding im not actually threatening you please dont hate me im nice
    Last edited by InfraredHero; 01-08-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: forgot the question mark in the topic nameanascnsdnckajncsdnvksdnv

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I think the school setting is overplayed. It has been done so many times that the plots run out and it turns into a Slice of Life game with the occasional person flying or shooting lasers out of their eyes.

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

fantasy/Parrody
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I think teh school setting is fine so long as you have a larger plot involved. Like teh school is actually a front for a secret vault or something

A Leaf on the Wind
    Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Mythology, ect
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I agree. I think the school setting has been so played out. Whether they are young kids or in college, it's been overdone.

I think you have more leeway with adult characters and issues because you're not constricted to one place.

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)

How about everyday life style "Fables" instead of school life?

Fantasy, Romance, Fandom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My issue with superheroes and any kind of slice of life is then it doesn't really become a superhero RP. At least not one that I would like to play.

Yeah the daily lives of heroes, devoid of superheroics, should be brushed on occasionally. Makes the characters more human. But if a RP is advertised as a superhero RP or taking place in a setting that allows for superheroes then I want to do superhero stuff! You know. Defeat villains (or become villains!), have debates with other heroes about the ethics of superhero work (maybe even get into actual fights over it a la Marvel's Civil War style), defeat evildoers that intend to take over the world, etc.

Supervillains in general could be a more explored topic as well, I feel.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Probably the hardest thing about doing any roleplay is to find an interesting angle on it.

There was a book I read where some supervillain threatens to blow up San Francisco. The heroes rush in, but the bomb goes off.

San Francisco becomes a burned out crater being filled by the Pacific Ocean. The Mayor of San Francisco, flying back from a conference, survives the crash of his helicopter and pushes for a new law to outlaw supers.

Got powers? Turn yourself in, your assets are sold and you get deported to Mexico if you can't afford a flight to a super-friendly nation. Of course, there are some out there who just don't want to go.

So the police wind up creating a metahuman task force charged with hunting down supers who will not cooperate. Of course, these are ordinary humans going up against supers - there's usually a fatality and several casualties from every team that goes out.

Supers being hunted - still rather X-man-ish, but some find it appealing and different. You're not fighting super villains, you're fighting the government.

Another book, also set in San Francisco, had demons opening a portal and charging in - only to die once they cross over. Oddly enough, that's also when several humans around San Francisco discovered they'd developed unusual super powers - often not much, but still abilities they didn't have before. Like being able to trace cars like a living gps - but only cars.

The powers that be decide not to blow up San Fran as they don't try flooding into the world anymore. It gets tossed off as another San Fran quirky tourist attraction like earthquakes and cable cars.

So you're a super, but your power isn't great. Still, you show up to fight demonic possessed... cupcakes.

Go for the unusual.
    Spoiler: いいいいいいいい √Ăłł Єѵł いいいいいいいい