Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Old Rainfords School for Magically Gifted Children - {IC - M}

heaven can't help me now
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror, Fantasy, Scifi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Technically, the weekly meeting between student and teacher heads of house could be whenever it suited both parties the best. However, Wednesday afternoons were dedicated throughout the entire school as allotted time for extra-curricular activities. So, more often than not, the meetings were scheduled for then. Baldwin had asked Cody to come to his private office at some point during the afternoon, but he hadn't bothered to give a specific time. Apparently, they were to take it easy for their first council.

Teachers at Old Rainfords were given personal quarters of course as well as a designated classroom. Most of them were scattered randomly throughout the castle, but of course, it just so happened that Alder and Baldwin happened to be neighbours. It wasn't that much of a surprise, as they weren't too disalike; out of the staff members, they may have been the most outwardly outlandish, at least to Cody.

Like many teenage girls roped into something she hadn't signed up for, Cody approached her role as head of year as though she had worlds of things better to do. Granted, she had her classwork, and her chores, and she had to make sure Hank and exercised and his living space clean, but otherwise... Cody's strides slowed as she saw who was lounging in the sitting area along the corridor Baldwin and Alder's personal quarters were. Cool blue eyes closed suspiciously as she neared, locked on Nori's figure until she got too close and she knew she'd be able to tell, so they snapped away as though she hadn't been watching the nymphic witch.

Nori too was similarly dismayed at her current authoritative position it would seem. The girl sat slumped on the bench, a foot tip-tappin’ away impatiently. Her brows were knitted in a rare display of frustration. She really must have been taking this hard. God knows why though...

She was distracted enough at first by her own thoughts and musings, that she did not initially see Cody approach. However, when she did catch sight of her, Nori was unable to hide or repress the slight flinch her body involuntarily made. She never once allowed her eyes to wander upwards to meet her gaze. But, Nori did move her satchel off the bench and onto her knee. Cody caught this out of the corner of her eye.

Now if this was to allow a space for Cody to sit, or if the gesture was simply so she could stay as far away from Cody as possible was anyone/s guess. For half a second, Cody did consider sitting. Alder's arrival cut short any more time for reflection. The man was carrying a rather large cardboard box filled to the brim with all sorts of rather random... stuff.

Noriko instantly rose and went to open the door for him without the need of him even asking her first. Polite being that he was, he gave a small smile to Cody,

"Balder isn't far behind me I think," He then disappeared into his office, Noriko following him without even a second glance.

True to his word, Baldwin came slowly meandering up the stairs a minute or so later. Small yellow citrine scented clouds bloomed lazily from his pipe, before rising and settling around his head. It was as if a small rainstorm was brewing amidst his thoughts. He looked rather distracted and out of it in truth. In fact, he walked past Cody altogether.

"Sir!" Cody said, sounding rather annoyed. She had to grab his sleeve, so he wouldn't meander too far past her. What could be consuming his mind so much as to be so oblivious?

"You're as bad as a girl in love, sometimes," she quipped accusingly. "Do you walk into a lot of walls?"

The old mans eyes shot open in alarm. He simply looked at Cody for a moment or so, which the fae returned with a pinched, annoyed expression that teenage girls seemed to cultivate so expertly, his mind still ticking over if he was meant to be somewhere. Was he? Oh, yes! An old tired smile flowered across his face, and tired eyes regarded the girl with warmth; her expression melted under that smile. Baldwin chuckled, and its gentle tones echoed on Rainfords old stone walls.

He welcomed Cody into his office, before almost inevitably starting to fumble around in his pockets. Baldwins quarters slash private office were a rather accurate representation of the man, truth be told. Objects, trinkets and general knick-knacks of each and every possible variety and origin covered, hung and took up almost all available space in the place.

Save for the bare minimum of required furniture (and even then, that was only really a bed-frame, desk and two chairs), the accommodation was almost entirely made up of personal belongings. Matron Mags pestered some of the students for messy dorms, but Baldwins office would have most likely given the poor woman a heart attack. Cody imagined the tongue lashing from the Matron if her room was in such a state and the blond rocked back on her heels a little.

The man himself weaved and wound himself around his gathered loot in a well-practiced, surprisingly elegant manner. For, despite the apparent appearance of a chaotic mess, it seemed Baldwin actually had a particular order and structure to it. A method to the madness, Cody mused. He headed over towards the previously mentioned desk and decided to give rooting around in there a go instead.

As he did so, he pointed vaguely to a precariously placed gramophone. With his head now under the desk, the man hazily asked,

"Stick us a record on now Cody dear. The silence gives me a headache."

"Do you have anything from this decade?" Cody asked as she walked over to the gramophone and looked around briefly for a record to put on. She found a collection of records and hummed as she flipped through them until apparently, she'd found something suitable.

She drew the record out of its sleeve and carefully placed it on the turntable of the gramophone, lowering the needle onto the vinyl and clicking it into motion. "Second Hand News" by Fleetwood Mac followed moments later, emanating from the machine's flower-like speaker, identifying Cody's chosen record as Rumours.

"You seem quite distracted, Mr. Baldwin. Should I be worried about what you're cooking up for me as head of year?" The look she dealt him was almost pleading for mercy.

"Oh, don't you worry chuck. Alder or Doddy might have had something more active planned for this, and I shan't outright say we won't get to anything like that perhaps, but for now, I thought we should stick to basics."

And with that said, from the depths of his desk, Baldwin produced a dog whistle. Of all things, it was a dog whistle. Made from silver metal, and clearly well used judging by the slim scratches and dents that scattered its surface. Baldwin slid the thing down the desk and over to Cody. She picked it up carefully, half expecting it to burn her with iron, but it was older than most modern ones and the silver was cool in her touch.

Flopping back into his chair, the man spoke with a sigh,

"Now before you ask, I don't know why, I just know I have to. Tradition, as per usual. It's been handed down to all the kiddies who get to be head of Liraellian and I'm not going to be the one that upsets that rule."

He shuffled slightly, rearranging some of the dozens of handmade cushions that swamped his desk chair. Lifting his hand, he made a beckoning gesture and an extra chair scuffled out from amidst the mess and began to drag itself over to the desk. Baldwin, now seemingly satisfied with his comfort level, leaned back into his seat.

"So, there you go, an early Christmas present for you, dearie. But the question is, what to do now I suppose,"

For a moment, the old man simply took her in. Tired eyes regarded the girl in a analytical sort of way. It wasn't a look Cody was used to receiving from him. And then, in a voice surprisingly sincere for him, Baldwin asked,

"So, what do you want to do for your House then Cody?"

Cody shook her head slightly at his question and it was a moment before she answered, "Sir, I'm still unsure of the meaning or wisdom behind my selection."

It was well known that Baldwin kept a good finger on the pulse of his house, the relationships between the students, and as Head of her House, he was privy to some of the finer details of her personal record and life. It wasn't unbeknownst to her that a portion of house Liraellian were wary of her, if not blatantly disliked her so what could she possibly hope to successfully accomplish? She looked down at the dog whistle in her palm and then slid her fingers through her tousle of ash blond hair; her index finger wound around a single long strand and pulled it with a gentle tug. It came loose painlessly, and Cody then held it in front of her, pinching the strand between her index finger and thumb as they ran the length of the strand, smoothing it, until she held each end in both hands. For a moment, a soft slight emanated from the strand of hair and then in a quick motion, Cody brought her hands together and out again in a snap. In place of the strand of hair now hung a glinting silver chain, which Cody was quick to slide the whistle onto and fasten around her neck. It was long, hanging like a pendant low on her chest.

When she was finished, she looked back up to the professor. "Might as well have a rager."

He made a mental note to remember that trick for a later date. Although under further reflection, he pondered what good the charm would do him with his more 'smoother' state these days. A hand casually rubbed over the hairless spot as he spoke.

"Don't tempt me MacKinley."

Baldy pondered for a moment or so, head nodding in brief thought.

"Perhaps just a quiet bevvies when nobody's looking eh? I don't want Carlisle on my case... again," Baldwin said, to which Cody snorted with amusement.

They sat in casual quiet for a little while. Fleetwood Mac the only interruption to their own silent-self-reflections. Of course Baldwin spoke up again soon enough though,

"There's truth of what we tell the lot of you, you know; I promise. The Familiars choose you with no deliberation or discussion from us. But they have reasons of their own,"

He looked at Cody, who returned a hopeful little look, then sighed, hand flopping back down to his side.

"Or at least that's what they told us."

With a playful shove of his feet, Baldwin swiveled himself to face the arched glass window to the left of his desk. Cody watched him a moment, then followed his gaze out the window.

"I was heartbroken when those bloomin' dogs chose me way back when," Baldwin chuckled.

"Heartbroken? I guess that's fair, it's a lot of weight on your shoulders, professor. I'm... Fortunate to have you to share the mantel with. Anyone else might be..." Her eyes fluttered up to the high ceiling a moment as she thought, "Inadequate?"

Baldwin turned, looked at Cody, and rolled his eyes so hard I fear they may have disappeared back into his head. Cody snorted back laughter and clapped a hand over her mouth at his look.

"MacKinely, I'm telling you now girl, I've seen my fair share of Student heads in my time, and believe me, you're one of the good ones. And let me tell you this as well. The Sabriel Bunnies have never chosen a girl like the Green one before."

Cody wondered briefly what he meant by that but the train of thought was quickly snuffed out when, with a sly yet playful smirk, the professor leaned over the desk a little and whispered,

"I give her a month."

Cody gave him a little grimace and shook her head, "I give her two weeks before she loses it. Did you see that crazy cat she picked up a few days ago? I'm not sure that girl knows how many things she's juggling, and I'll pay to watch it all come crashing down around her."[/QUOTE]

"I thought she had a frog!"

Baldwin leaned back in his chair, shaking his head in apparent disbelief.

"I don't know... What with her and Alder combined,"

He simply shrugged.

"Poor old Carlisle's gonna have his work cut out for him,"

Suddenly, he jumped. Actually physically leaping out of his chair a little. Inspiration had struck it would seem.

"I just thought what we can get done MacKinely, it'll be my sons Birthday in two weeks and I can't decide on what tie to get him..."

Cody smiled at his enthusiasm and tried really hard not to roll her eyes. She was successful.

ideas? . Hogwarts . WTRT: Side Roads
    my life is still a mess pm me if you want to check in
    vote for RPA

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A trained eye would spot it perhaps. But Carlisle was a seasoned pro by now. He had that advantage at least. The signs of Lycanthropy were subtle, but at times in a very obvious way. Like I said, you'd have to know what to look for to actually see it. For example, Carlisle physically could not stay still. A younger pup would most likely be bouncing off the wall at this point, but Carlisle had somehow managed to hone his excess of energy into a erratic foot tap. He looked weary too. His body leant heavily against the old stone wall, almost as if he would crumble and fall if he had no support. The bags under his eyes didn't really hide his fatigue.

The man was stood, or more leaning really, outside of the Liraellian House Dorm door. The hour was late, and while the odd student may have still remained awake and busy here and there, the castle was effectively silent (save for the rhythmic foot tapping of course). Carlisle was in charge of all Werewolf students that attended the school, and it was therefore his job to make sure said students underwent their transformations as peacefully as possible. An admittedly tricky job at times, as Lycanthropy had many different variables.

However in a lucky break for him, only two students in the school currently had the condition to a point where they underwent a actual physical transformation. And he'd already picked up one of them. Now for the other...

The time was coming near, and Tanner could feel it. Maybe he was one of the few, but he was a pureblood werewolf. So, like other werewolves, it was easy to sense the full moon. He's been itching about it all day, even more so when the sun began to set. For him, it was much easier to sense it, and for others, it was easy to see the energy building within him. It was difficult to focus on anything, and he found himself pacing a lot.

Thankfully, Rainfords provided a time and place for werewolf students to undergo the transformation. He was ready for it, but was Carlisle? He was always the one to help with that sort of thing, and it would make sense due to being a werewolf, himself. A note was left in Tanner's room explaining the time and place. He was familiar with this routine by now, but it was always better safe than sorry. Wasting no time at all, he made his way to the door. He had heard the tapping, rhythmic as usual, before he even got close. It was no surprise to see him standing there, waiting for Tanner, along with the other werewolf whose condition would make them undergo a transformation as well.

"Hope you weren't waiting too long." He commented, waiting for Carlisle to lead the way before following behind, trying not to go ahead of him or in a different direction altogether. The full moon was always an interesting time of month. If someone wasn't careful, there could be quite a mess left behind. Of course, Tanner learned to never be late for this little event after one incident. It wasn't his fault that he tore his room apart and destroyed some school property. He just has a lot of energy around this time.

Carlisle simply shook his head in response. Then, with what appeared to be great effort, he lugged himself up and off of the wall, and began to lead the two Pups down and through the school. The other student he had picked up prior to acquiring Tanner was a lively third year Sabriellus girl (Ironically in his opinion) named Luna. Unlike himself and the boy, this girl was a first descendant Werewolf, meaning she didn't quite feel the effects as harshly as Tanner might, but still underwent the transformation all the same.

As a matter of fact, she almost seemed excited about their little venture. At least she certainly didn't possess any of Carlisle's gloomy fatigue. The excess of energy was clearly present within her however, as the girl was practically shaking with apparent anticipation. She bounced ever so slightly from foot to foot and grinned at Tanner eagerly when he emerged.

As the trio of Wolves made their way through the castle, Carlisle took a predictable lead, walking a few paces ahead of the children. And Luna, being both a wired up pre-teen as well as a pent up Werewolf during the peak of a full moon, of course took this opportunity to share some school gossip. Through her hand, as if that would keep Carlisle from hearing, she whispered to Tanner,

"Hey, have you heard about old happy feet and his wolfy stuff?"

Tanner walked with the other two, the other werewolf going through this transformation business being a third year girl in the Sabriellus house named Luna. He wasn't sure if she was named that way on purpose or not, but it was definitely interesting. He didn't know her full situation, but he did know that what she felt was only a fraction of what he felt.

Suddenly, he heard Luna ask about Carlisle and his "wolfy stuff". She whispered, as though she really thought Carlisle wouldn't hear her. She should know that a werewolf's senses are amplified during this time, and that Carlisle could hear her clearly. Tanner could hear her as though she were talking normally. All the same, she was offering some gossip, and hopefully some interesting stuff.

In a slightly theatrical display, he twirled around to face her while they walked. He had too much energy right now, and he was just trying to rid himself of it. Regardless, he looked at her expectantly before whispering "What 'wolfy' stuff?", despite knowing full well Carlisle could hear them just fine. If it was something he had an issue with, he would probably put a stop to it.

Carlisle both looked, and felt rough. And it was this overwhelming 'rough-ness' that distracted him from overhearing the cubs conversation. At least to begin with. The sheer over-confident force of a busybody wolf in full capacity made it so that Luna seemingly didn't even really care if the man heard or not, truth be told.

For she still continued to speak to Tanner in a rather unsecretive whisper,

"I heard that he can't even turn you know. He's not pure blooded enough, not like you and me that is. Apparently, the best he can do is a dog. Tulip thinks he does it to relieve any built up pressure or whatever. I think he must do it cause he's jealous, or sad, or something, I dunno,"

Well, Tanner knew he couldn't turn wolf. He'd spent enough of his first few years with Carlisle for the full moons, it was pretty common knowledge at this point. What he didn't know was that Carlisle could apparently at least turn into a dog? He thought about that for a moment, looked at Carlisle, then back at the girl. He really hoped it wasn't true.

"No way." There was a change in his tone, one he hoped no one would notice. "You're making that up." That's what he wanted to believe. "Unless you have proof?"

The only reason he wouldn't know was if Carlisle only transformed out of sight, and although he did notice the man disappear during many of the full moons, he wouldn't think that would be something he would allow to be public knowledge. A werewolf that can only turn into a dog is pretty embarrassing, at least Tanner thought so. Maybe the older werewolf wouldn't mind confirming or denying this?

Tanners questioning for proof only fuelled Luna's drive to gossip further. Considering the immense amount of excess energy the young girl currently possessed, it was rather incredible that anything she said was actually understandable. For her words erupted from her in a fevered bolt of scrambled syllables.

"Well, you know how Doddy can turn into pretty much anything and stuff, and how like he and Carlisle are BFFs or something? Well Doddy was hosting homework club last week and Janny from Abhorsen, not Jan fro Sabriellus, heard them talking in the hall. They were discussing breeds or something I don't know. But she definitely heard him say it, I swear, cross my heart and hope to die and everything,"

It looked like she would have continued further, but the two young pups were brought to an abrupt halt. Carlisle stood facing them, his tall frame silhouetted in the midnight moonlight that now streamed in through the open doors. Luna suddenly averted her gaze, opting to stare at the floor determinedly. An uncomfortable silent lingered between the trio for a while, only interrupted by the occasional awkward shuffle of Lunas feet.

A sudden amber glow bloomed amidst the quiet dark, and the distinct hiss of a lighter hindered the silence. Carlisle smoked? Apparently so, as small plumes of wispy grey smoke arose above their heads. With a mere motion of his head, he spoke to the children,

"Luna, you can go on ahead if you want. I know you've been desperate since this morning..."

And just like that she was gone. Scampering off into the dark of night. Carlisle sighed.

"C'mon Tanner. I'll walk you to the border,"

His question set her off like the stereotypical gossiping girl she was. Doddy was mentioned as talking about it, with Janny from Abhorsen being witness to the conversation. She swore on this, but she hadn't provided any actual proof. He had a hard time believing in it without the physical proof.

They walked a bit further before coming to a sudden stop. It was a bit awkward, as the older werewolf had most likely overheard the conversation. Tanner knew he would, but still continued, so he felt just as bad and Luna did, most likely. He stared off to the side, as they walked in silence. The smell of smoke was in the air. Carlisle smoked, apparently.

He let Luna go ahead, and she ran off. Probably for the best. He then offered to walk Tanner to the border.

"Yeah, sure." It would be nice, hopefully. And not awkward. Hopefully. Actually... He could hardly help himself. "Okay, so I know you heard what we were talking about. Wanna tell me how true it is?" He probably made matters even worse asking, but his curiosity knew no bounds.[/QUOTE]

Carlisle shoved his hands into his pockets as they walked. Eyes staring at nothing in particular, but still somehow looking far away and distant from it all. From a distance he looked rather like a lanky steam engine, puff puff puffing away.

Tanners rather sudden outburst, brought him up short however. Carlisle stopped completely in his tracks. Mouth parted slightly in disbelief and eyes now oh so very alert and aware. For a moment or so, he just glared at the boy. Slowly, the incredulity sank and changed into a firm displeased frown. Swiftly, and suddenly showing more animation and liveliness in the movement than he had showed otherwise all evening, Carlisle removed his Cig and stubbed it out into the ground.

He was shaking his head a little as he spoke,

"Every year. Every year I forget. You come into your last year and that's it. You think you're bloody entitled to it all."

He looked up briefly, perhaps momentarily pondering his minor swear in front of a student. But it seemed he was too riled to contemplate it further. Carlisle simply shook his head, and carried on walking.

"No, I can't fully turn like you or her."

His voice was very quiet. And he didn't stop or even turn his head to address the boy properly.

"My blood isn't as pure as yours. But I still get all the bloo- darn drawbacks from it."

He drew to a steady stop, as they had reached the border. He waved his hand vaguely in the forests direction and muttered the disarming jinx for the barrier.

He had definitely made this trip a whole lot worse. The older werewolf definitely seemed put off by the question, and likely by the conversation Tanner had with Luna as well. Carlisle went off a little, then confirmed not being able to turn but still having the cons of being a werewolf. Tanner was actually more curious about the form Carlisle would take, but didn't dare speak again.

The barrier became disabled, which allowed Tanner to go into the forest for his transformation. He felt bad for the discomfort he and Luna caused, just talking about something so sensitive when the target of their discussion was right within earshot. Maybe he could make things better? No, he wouldn't try.

"Sorry." He muttered, before heading into the forest.

Tanner could say something else, like how the form doesn't make the werewolf, it's how one uses their abilities; or how it might be nice if Tanner didn't have such sensitivity to all the weaknesses due to his pure blood state; he could even mention how it would be safer for those around him if he didn't have the potential for destruction beyond his control. However, it all seemed like he would be trying to simply cover for the insensitivity the kids showed.

In reality, Tanner would appreciate it if he didn't have the issue of being so pure blooded. He would even be willing to trade, should the opportunity arise, even if just for one full moon. No, he had to go out and away from all people when the time came, just so he wouldn't accidentally hurt someone. Even if he had friends that could sooth the beast, like Dare, it would be a burden to fetch him every time Tanner needed the assistance.

After wandering into the forest for so long, Tanner couldn't resist anymore. The wolf began to show through, the transformation not quite painful, as much as it was just dealing with the expansion of his normal body mass. There was a howl into the night sky before he ran off.
    What's up, peeps?
    Don't mind the odd Avi, just something old I liked.

Want to RP with me? Ask! I'm open to any kind of 1x1's at the moment.

Spoiler: What I Do/Don't Like 

My most opportune days will be Saturdays and Sundays,
    just FYI.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345