Thread: Overrated and Underrated Video Games

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Default Overrated and Underrated Video Games

Real simple, state one video game you think is underrated and one that you think is overrated, feel free to give as much or as little detail as you want.

Here are mine:

Underrated:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

The video game wasn't as bad as the majority of Sonic fans and so called hard-die Sonic fans say it is. The plot was interesting, but it could have used a little bit tweaking. Another annoying thing I find about the Sonic fans who run around saying how it is awful clearly don't keep in mind that Sega was rushed, probably by them, to make Sonic the Hedgehog game. The graphics weren't bad and game play wasn't 100% bad, though I admit I like the Xbox 360 version better than I like the Playstation 3 version. I'm probably one of the few Sonic the Hedgehog fans that would like a sequel and see the character Princess Elise again, but that's just me. Granted, like the cartoon Sonic Boom, which a lot of Sonic fans would scream at me for saying that, though I admit that cartoon wasn't as good as Sonic X.

Overrated:

A good percentage of Super Mario games

While I may get shot for this, I just want to say that I think a good chunk of Super Mario games have the same damn plot. Princess Peach gets herself in trouble, and Mario, as usual, has to go and help the wimpy and rather pathetic princess. I do realize that some Mario games don't have that plot, but more than enough of them have it. Yes, I also know that Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 has a plot like that, but that was just one game out of how many games? I'm sorry, Nintendo and Mario fans, but Sega and Sonic have a lot more points in the creative department.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmmm....my tastes tend to be a bit niche, but I'll give this a try

Overrated: Verdun

I like historical shooters, and though I don't like multiplayer shooters all that much, this one was just too hard for me to get into. It had cool guns and graphics, but just wasn't enjoyable

Underrated: No Man's Sky

Ok, it wasn't what we all wanted or expected, but it wasn't terrible.
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Overrated: Any Call of Duty game

You guys probably predicted that someone would say this. But the Call of Duty franchise doesn't really evolve much beyond the Zombies gameplay. Sure, they changed it to Aliens in CoD Ghosts, but it still feels like the same Nazi Zombies game from CoD World at War with added gimmicks.

Underrated: King of Fighters XIV

Take a wild guess who my avatar is of. If you got it right, you should've seen this coming. The King of Fighters games have been hit and miss in some aspects, but KOF XIV really nailed it in terms of gameplay. Sure, the graphics aren't the best, but the mechanics are very solid and the cast of 50 characters(Vanilla) more than make up for it. The newly introduced MAX mode makes for some wicked combo potential, and these combos are worth practicing. Don't like learning complex sequences? Just mash the light punch button and it does a combo for you(However, this feature will not make you any better at the game). Not to mention, a certain DLC character had SNK fans screaming "Shut up and take my money" like Fry from Futurama.