Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown Me{DamoniquexEerieWillows}[M]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Crown Me{DamoniquexEerieWillows}[M]

Rated M for, you know, ALL of the things. Most specifically, drug/alcohol use, physical and emotional violence, blood and gore, swearing, sexual themes and content.

The 'city' of Valborg, if it could even be considered such, was a mismatched sprawl of wood and stone that shared no particular style or design, having gone through a dozen petty jarls, mayors, chieftains, and a petty kings in less than a century, somehow seeming both prosperous and impoverished at once, great, carved-oak longhouses separated only by narrow streets from piled-up hovels.

The people here, collectively called Valmen, value both independence and privacy, and the population reflected that, speaking a dozen tongues and hailing from a hundred places. So long as one brought coin, goods, or skills, there was a life to be found here at the edge of world, although perhaps a harder, shorter one than they expected. A few smaller villages and farms dotted the cleared countryside surrounding the city proper, but beyond that was a trackless wilderness inhabited by predators on four legs and two, braved only by intrepid hunters and foresters, many of whom never made it home from their rangings.

---------------------------------------------
    Darien sat at the end of a long pier, a cloak of red fox-fur, now his most valuable possession, drawn about his shoulders to keep out the first chilling winds of autumn, as gloved fingers furiously worked the edge of a bone-hilted knife into a walrus tusk, carving simple but fanciful designs into the material.

When the scrimshaw was complete, Elly would be able to hawk it for a few coppers at the market alongside her hand-made bracelets and pendants, hopefully enough to secure rent on their meager attic room for another month. If not, he'd have to sign on with a forester again, and leaving his sister alone for weeks was something he was loath to do.

Life here would not be too difficult if he only had himself to take care of, but as his sister had grown prettier, her suitors had grown more numerous and more insistent, and fending them off with insults and threats had become a near full-time job. For her part, Elicent enjoyed toying with the boys who came calling, treating as a game as she did most things, and even liked a few of them, but she was the Princess of Luria, and some traders son was no fit match for her royal hand.

Perhaps the time had come for them to move again, board a ship south for somewhere more urbane, with a proper nobility from which he could select a suitor. Darien had considered such before, but always put it off. For all it lacked in amenities, this was the only place they had to call home. And he remembered well the cryptic words he'd heard on the night their world had been shattered, from an old man he had never seen before.

"Nothing but death waits for you here, Prince, and it cannot have you yet. Find the young princess ,flee with her before the knives fall, and be wary of the hunters. Go as far as the sea, then across it, to await your birthright on some foreign shore. Which, it does not matter, fate will see you found."
    It seemed nonsense at the time, but it was all the direction he had, and showed a glimmer of hope that one day all they had lost would be returned. Years of turning the words over and over in his head had yielded no clue, but still, he spent every evening on the docks, waiting and watching for the mystery to unravel.

A light on the horizon disturbed the prince from his musings, a ships light. It was too high in the water to be a longship, too small to be a whaler, which meant a trading vessel. Prophecy or no, such ships always carried opportunity in their holds, and if Dare decided to go along with his plan to finally return to the continent, such a vessel might prove the best option. He had little coin set aside, but there were a few pieces of his mothers jewelry he still had set aside for Alicent's dowry that may be enough to book passage for two if he made up the difference in labor.

Spoiler: Favorite Quotes(Changed Monthly) 

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Mature, Smutty, Scifi, World building, Race Building, and many more
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Time at sea was never pleasant, especially if it was unexpectedly extended. The promised two weeks had turned into three because of troubles upon the sea and poor navigation. The captain aught to be hung for his transgressions, but the little passenger kept her mouth shut. No sense in causing more of a scene than was needed. They were nearly at their destination, a small town in the far north. The coast that came into view was fascinating. Here she had expected a blank canvas, nothing but black and white. To her surprise the rolling hills and mountains were painted with reds and golds that were most pleasing to the eye.

It was all but lost to her however. The promise of good market and a nice, warm bed in a tavern was all that entertained the mind of the weary woman. She'd kill a man for some fresh food and a pint of good ale at this point. The attention of all passengers was soon directed upwards, the man in the crow's nest bellowing at the top of his lungs.

"PIER OFF THE PORT BOW!"

With those simple words, the ship seemed to spring to life, crewmen rushing to their posts, the captain barking orders and passengers returning to their horses and the deck. She watched for some time, waiting until she saw the pier come into view. She had work do to. Her cart had been the first to enter, and so would be the last to leave. She made her way down to the bowels of the ship, pulling her steed from their stable and setting their reigns. There was no time to dilly dally. The bird inside the tiny home squawked in anger at the sudden movement , a simple rap at the window was enough to stop that.

"Quiet now, my pets. Now is not the time for fussing. We'll be free of this ship soon, and fresh air will be yours. I promise." Purred the young woman, carefully patting the horses' shoulders as she checked over the last of her set up. The time was approaching. The cart itself shuddered as the ship brushed against the pier, her smile growing wider with each passing moment. Yes, The air about this strange land that told her things would be different here. Something was coming, but what?

It took the men mere moments to have the ship secured to dock, anchors dropped and lines tied. First came the foot passengers, then those on horseback and with carts. All seemed fairly normal in that moment, each passing the young man on the dock with little regard for him. It seemed there were none left to disembark when the air turned frigid, the heavy echo of hooves against the deck and the creak of heavy wheels. It was then that the massive beasts began their decent, the planks crying out beneath them as the guided the heavy cargo down onto the docks.

A strange carriage, a set of strange horses, and an every stranger cloaked figure upon the drivers seat, the sturdy reigns in her grasp seemed far finer than most. Thick locks of strange wine and cool chestnut caught the wind as it blew past. This stranger certainly knew how to make an entrance. Looking about the dock, She realized the signs were in a language she really couldn't understand, perhaps a local could be of assistance. Her golden eyes wandered the pier before her, only to fall upon a young man with red hair and a fox-skin cloak. Perfect timing.

"You... Young sir, Two gold pieces for directions to the town market... seven if you help me find lodgings." The voice from the woman was stronger than expected, not a lick of patience in her. Too many nights at sea had worn away just enough of her usual charm to expose her frustrations. As there was a moment of silence, the woman huffed out a breath before peering down at him again. "I'll not be held up if you aren't interested. The gold will simply go elsewhere."
    Last edited by EerieWillows; 12-22-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Dare was waiting among the dockworkers by time the ship had finaly eased into it's mooring, a triple-decked, wide-bodied cargo galleon with a complicated and clearly makeshift mast arrangement. The vessel seemed only barely seaworthy, but the prince knew better than to judge a ship by appearances, the most ragged-looking becoming such only by surviving numerous long journeys.

This trader had clearly come from afar, carrying far more exotic goods than the far-off port of Valborg usually saw, crates of dyed fabrics, spices, and finished goods of a craftsmanship unheard of this far from a true city, such as spyglasses and mirrors. The hawkers at the market would have it all bought in a day or two, for a little as possible, and the same goods would be for sale at triple the cost in a weeks time once the foreign merchants had departed, another such shipment unlikely to arrive until spring at the earliest.

But nothing was more exotic than the final item to emerge, a wagon-house of most peculiar design, led by two large draft beasts and driven by a petite figure dressed in something of a fanciful motley stitched and clasped out of a hundred different patterns, a long hood concealing the strangers face. Darien was almost too busy gawking to notice when she suddenly spoke to him. And a she it was, long hair spilling past the eaves of her drawn hood, what had appeared to be a costume at first glance more of a dress, the many buckles and ties serving to shape the multicolored fabric snug to a petite form that still managed to posses all the womanly curves, but in miniature.

While her appearance may have been provocative, though, her voice was anything but, stating her needs in harsh, clipped sentences. At first, he was sure he had heard her wrong. Seven gold pieces for no more than mere directions? A handful of silvers would be generous. Surely she was playing some jest at his expense, but Darien decided to simply play along for now.

"Before that, I'll take one coin in trade for some advice, miss. This is Valborg, no southron city with clean streets and an attentive guard. Telling the first man you meet on the pier how much wealth you have to spare is a good way to get yourself robbed and worse. For all you know, I could be waiting here to do just that." He stated with a sly smile that did little to reveal his intentions assuage any such concerns she might have, yet. It was, perhaps, foolish of him to tempt the ire of someone who claimed to be a most generous spender, but he couldn't help himself. But if she was bluffing, he'd have the truth of it now, and if she weren't, it was sound advice he would give anyone trying to flaunt their wealth here at the edge of the world.

"Lucky for you, I have a soft spot for clueless damsels, especially the wealthy ones. Market's closing for the night, but you can park your contraption there overnight, and pasture your beasts in the common stables nearby. I happen to be headed that way anyhow. As for lodgings, that would depend on what your looking for. Eirek's Boardhouse has softer beds and larger rooms, but he waters his drinks and gives strangers the right rip off. Locals tend towards The Bear. Stronger drinks for less, and a better crowd if gambling is your fancy." He continued as he led the mystery woman and her wheelhouse carefully though the maze of docks, and then the low-water slums, eyes attentive, hand in his coat. The other merchants and their guards had left them far behind by now, and this was a dangerous place to be in outside of broad daylight. A few eyes peeked out at them from inside of doorways and behind curtains, but his presence seemed enough to keep them to watching.

"So, I take you for an entertainer of some sort, Miss...." He trailed off, leaving the question of her name unasked. If she wished to remain a mystery, that was fine by him. The lost prince knew more than most about the values of paranoia.
    Last edited by Damonique; 12-26-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Advice? The nerve of this punk. Did the young man know how lucky he was to have his life? His remarks were grounds for murder after such an arduous journey. Her golden gaze bore down into the boy, irritation clear upon her face. Each insult only stirred her fury. However, logic still claimed it's place. Calm, relax. There was no need to have herself chased out of town so soon. There was a market to attend. However, each word that fell from his mouth only irked her further. A white knuckled grip on her reigns would tip most off to their fate. Keeping her eyes on the road, Lita did her best to ignore the nattering young man. She had asked for advice, not a tour.

"Miss will do, Young man." Replied the woman, an exasperated sigh leaving her as they continued on. Slowly, she tuned him out, watching the people around her instead. Gods, How long was it till they reached the fairgrounds? She did her best to keep from speeding up. She intended to give him the gold, but he would have to learn his own place. He was going to get himself killed if he continued.

This city was strange, the people around her felt hostile, angered by the presence of outsiders. It was easy to see why. This was the harshest of environments, less forgiving than the desert. The people here were the toughest bastards that the wilderness could spit out. And it was nearly time for winter once again. There would be much hardship, and these goods could be the difference between success and failure. The cost to the people would reflect that.

The young gent's words were met with silence as they traveled to the market. Thank the gods above when they did reach the fairgrounds. She told the man to stay put as she locked things up, finding one of the smaller stalls and parking herself there. Really, it was borderline humorous to see the small little thing locking every door and reinforcing the windows with their shutters. She drew a mark on the back of each of her steeds and let them loose to find their way to the field with little more than a brief motion. Gathering her bag, she turned to the man, her eyes nearly glowing.

"Thank you for your assistance, young man. However, a word of advice. " Her tone had started so sweet, but her sweet smile was soon replaced with a dangerous grin. "Mind your tongue. Assuming anything of a traveler is a good way to end up dead. I wouldn't declare such things unless I was able to protect my assets. Calling a woman clueless or a damsel is a grounds for murder to some. "Despite the ferocity of her words, her voice was calm and collected. There was fire in this little mink, but she was doing her best to remain polite. After all, she needed to find a place to stay, and having a local to negotiate was useful. She grabbed his hand, holding it out and placing three coins into his hand. "There's for guiding me to the market. If you want the rest, I recommend the Bear is your next destination. I've little patience and you're standing between me and a strong drink."
    Last edited by EerieWillows; 12-22-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The strange woman seemed testy, although he supposed anyone would be after having spent a few weeks at sea, cramped in a cargo hold with strangers and animals. It irked him that she showed no appreciation towards his consideration for her safety. She also didn't answer his question, leaving her true occupation to be guessed at. Nonetheless, he led her dutifully towards the fairground, wide grassy clearing left untouched behind the main gatehouse, flanked by squat wood-and-mortar guard towers. A marketplace in times of peace and a killing field in those of war.

Many of the stalls were already packed up and locked for the night, but there were a few stragglers still finalizing last minute deals, many of whom raised eyebrows at the unusual sight of them. There would definitely be a line in the morning to see what wares or services she provided, oddities few and far between in this dreary place. Finally, she turned her attention back to Darien. Not the best kind of attention, that sly smile and mocking tone. He was startled hen she took his hand, her fingers were very soft, but her grip was firm as she pressed three golden coins into his palm.

He examined them for only a moment before closing his grip around them, feeling worn patterns on the surfaces. It was old gold of some foreign mint, more money than he was like to see in a year since leaving the palace behind, and if this mystery woman was to be believed, there was more to be had. Darien couldn't help but wonder if it was foolishness, or simply charity, but either way, he'd take what he could get. Pride was a luxury he'd been forced to abandon. He gave her a wry smile as he tucked the gold away, not giving her the satisfaction of seeing her barbs have any effect, and fired back.

"I'm sorry, miss. Thought I was earning my coin by telling you how best to hold onto yours. Never knew I was dealing with someone so formidable, I wouldn't tell it by the look of you. A stiff drink sounds like something we can agree on, but I ought to collect my sister before she gets into trouble. Damsels tend to do that." Darien explained with a wry smile and a wink, heading over to a more cluttered, poorer corner of the marketplace. Elly was there, still wrapping up the rough horse blanket that served as her table, the many baubles she sold already tucked away safely in a many-patched knapsack, humming to herself as she did. She soon noticed him staring and stomped over, hands on her hips, trying for all the world to make up the difference in height between them.

"There you are, Dare. I was worried you'd finally jumped into the sea!" She started in an almost motherly tone. Elicent didn't understand why he felt the need to spend his afternoons on the docks, staring across the water. When she was younger, she had joined him, while he spun her tales of the faraway home she hardly remembered. But as the years went by and the chances of ever seeing it again grew slimmer, he was left to keep his vigil alone, waiting for....something.

"Hope you got some carving done while you were busy brooding. I sold the last of your scrimshaw, and a few of my necklaces. Eight coppers and a silver!" She seemed ecstatic, knowing that such earnings would be more than enough to keep them in hearth and home for another month, and buy a few days dinner besides. He smiled, ruffling her hair, and produced one of the coins he had pocketed, holding it up for her to examine.

"Keep today's take to buy yourself something nice. Sometimes brooding pays off, a new ship came in at last light, and that queer woman over there with the carriage bought our next months dinner for little more than directions and some company." He explained cheerfully, enjoying seeing her eyes go wide at the sight of the coin. He thought it prudent to leave the other two coins a secret. Ally would be tempted to spend it, but lean months were coming and their mystery benefactor would be sure to move on before long.

"Gold. For your company? Is she lost in the head?" Ally asked, earning a scowl, before quickly ducking over to ask the stranger herself. Darien scrambled to catch up with her before she said something to tempt that fiery temper, but he was too late,taking in the exotic beauty and her wheelhouse with unbound amazement, asking a multitude of questions without a breath in between.

"I've never seen someone with eyes like your before, or a carriage like that. Where are you from? Do you live in there? What's your name? I'm Ally. Your really pretty, you know, and rich, so what game are you playing on Dare? Girls never fancy him because he isn't nice to them. Or anyone, really. So why should you?" She rattled off in disjointed sentences before finally finding a stopping point and stepping back to extend her hand, having clearly misread the situation. Alicent was annoying, but it was difficult to be unkind to her, with her big green eyes that feigned innocence, the dusting of freckles and high voice making her come off younger than the near-grown woman she was.
    Last edited by Damonique; 12-22-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

There wasn't time to get a word in edgewise against the young man before he sped off, winking at her as he left to find his 'sister'. For all that was good she was going to have to wait even longer. Was this a ploy to grab a few men an ambush her? No, she hadn't felt much thief in the boy, but there was something strange. Pinching the bridge of her nose, the woman grumbled something under her breath in a foreign tongue. By the gods why had she picked the first person that came into view. Perhaps this was punishment for her lack of patience. The lack of rest on the ship had to have gotten to her. Oh well, if he tried anything, he would learn his lesson well. She shifted and turned to her cart, it looked secured enough, perhaps she could spend a few days in this town before moving on. A little past the market place. With this many people suffering, she would be sure to make a fortune off their needs.

Her mind wandered away for only an instant, but it was long enough that she hadn't noticed the girl approaching at full speed. Caught off guard by the young woman's scrutiny and barrage of questions. She stared at the girl in shock for a moment or two, but then her hand was extended. This... What in the world was with these two. Such crass demeanor disguised by such pretty faces. Gods be damned this was not her day after all. Inhaling deeply, she turned her attention to the girl's hand. She had not the patience for any of it, but there was no sense in being rude to a young girl. Reaching out, she grasped Ally's and gave it a firm shake. The jewels and riches concealed beneath the swaths of fabric temporarily revealed in the gesture. Such fineness were in her taste. Each finger had a stone, and most linked to a strange piece on her hand and wrist. Really, such wealth was never seen around these parts.

"Young miss.. Ally, was it? I thank you for the compliment. I understand you mean no offense, but... If you wish to approach a stranger, I suggest a calm approach, and one question at a time. It can come across as aggressive. I mean no transgression in stating such things. A simple piece of advice from lady to lady. " She replied in a much kinder tone than the one her brother had received, one that seemed to show just the barest hint of exhaustion. Her grip slowly faded as another jeweled hand reached up, grasping the girl's chin. The woman was careful, moving her head from side to side rather gently. It was as if she was examining her with careful eyes. A softer smile graced her round face as she released the young lass and stepped back.

"Hmmm. You've been blessed with a refined profile. Very becoming. Perhaps you shall stop by my cart in the morning, Yes? I'll tell your fortune and read your palms. Fairly priced for you and your brothers... kind reception." Remarked the woman with a coy tone, chuckling softly as she stood there. " My my, Even my manners aren't quite where proper. Do excuse this weary traveler's forgetful mind. My name is Lita. I come from a place far away, farther away than you need concern yourself with. I daresay fancy is not a word I would use. I was simply asking for local advice and your brother was kind enough to share. I am simply paying back the favor."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Ally seemed eager to press her luck, even despite the brush-off the stranger had given to her multitude of questions, but that was quieted quick enough by the slew of compliments, and the young woman stood a little bit straighter. That tendency to be taken by compliments that were cheap as air concerned Darien, but at least here it kept her from sticking her foot any further into her mouth.

"So your a fortune teller? Been a long time since we've had one of those. I'm not sure if I want to have my fortune read again, the last one scared me..." Ally trailed off into a whisper, suddenly growing a deal less chipper, chewing on her lip the way she always did when something bothered her. Darien remembered that day, years ago, before they settled here in Valborg. They'd been traveling with a troupe of entertainers, Ally selling sweets while Dare picked pockets, when she'd taken it upon herself to visit the old lady that read palms and tossed knuckle-bones. She'd come out crying, said the woman told her she didn't have a future and many other disturbing things.

At the next town they were told there wasn't a place for them anymore and sent off to fend for themselves once gain. Darien chalked it up to superstitious peasants at the time, but his thoughts couldn't help to be drawn to what the old man had told him that night so long ago, about death waiting for him. They'd made it a point to avoid those who claimed such powers ever since. Darien placed a comforting hand on his sisters shoulder and drew her back away from the stranger, who he finally had a name for. Lita.

"Fortunes or not, I'm sure you'll have plenty to talk about in the morning. Miss Lita and I were heading to the Boar for a drink. You can eat supper at Eirek's tonight. New traders came in, I'm sure they'd love to tell you about their travels. Stay in the commons room where Amos can keep an eye on you, eat all you like, but only one glass of wine." Darien told Ally in a tone that welcomed no argument, and handed her a few extra coins from his belt. She pouted and pleaded for a few moments before succumbing to the thought of a hot meal, turning back to Lita and giving the barest bow of her head.

"Thank you for the advice, Miss Lita, and your generosity. Take good care of him, but not too good." She added with a smirk, turning on heel and skipping off towards the largest, and best-lit building on the street opposite the fairgrounds. Darien watched until she was safely inside.

"And that's my sister, both the light of my life and bane of my existence. I think we both need a drink, now. The Boar's this way." He stated with an exaggerated sigh, and headed for an alleyway, turning to continue talking as they walked. "So I was right, you are something of an entertainer. Fortune telling and parlor tricks, playing up that exotic flair? I'm sure it's very effective, but that still leaves the question of why here of all places."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The girl seemed to calm herself just enough that she was tolerable in that moment, but soon she expressed concerns of visiting her. There was pain in his sister's face, and before she could comfort her with more of her seemingly wise words, her brother pulled her back and dismissed her for her own meal. Such was the life of a younger sister. She bowed softly to Ally as she dashed off. Ah, such a spry little thing she was. The witch's attention was soon on Darien again, her smirk weakening ever so slightly.

"Lead the way then, young man." Replied Lita, adjusting her robes and bag. Her hands were once again hidden beneath the flowing cloak of fabric, hiding the supposed wealth the woman had. The sound of jingling metal and the swish of many layers of fabric were ever present with every step. For such a small woman, the witch kept up surprisingly well, long strides and confidence practically radiating off of her. His questions were not as probing this time, so she felt it was proper to answer.

"An entertainer I am not, sir. I am a merchant before all else.I sell my wares and services. However, I do guarantee it's not a parlor trick. You will simply have to come see what I offer in the morning." Purred the woman, her playful smirk showing itself from under her hood. The walk was fairly calm, her irritation from before seemingly diffused by his younger sibling. However, what the boy couldn't have known was just how she was observing him. Something about this situation rubbed her the wrong way. His attitude, the way he walked. It didn't seem to suit some slum living boy that'd grown up there. Hmm, maybe there was a reason she picked him after all. Besides her eagerness for a warm meal and drink.

Keeping her thought to herself for the moment, the witch contently made her way to the inn. It was a surprising walk, farther than she had anticipated. But soon the well worn and brightly lit tavern came into view. Oh thank the gods above. Picking up her pace, the woman happily entered. The atmosphere was boisterous to say the least, the villagers and new comers seemed to merge into one mass that nearly filled the damned room. Gamblers moved from group to group, playing the odds. She could smell the food being brought around and it was mouth watering. But, she did have something to do before she found herself settled. Reaching into her purse and retrieving the remaining four coins, Lita turned to address the other.

"You have my thanks, sir. Here's your payment, as promised. " Purred the woman. "I must find the keeper, discuss a room. Do your best to find a table, and a drink. I'll excuse myself." She started, pulling back her hood for the first time. Her thick locks splayed over her shoulders and down her back, the rich caramel to her skin contrasting beautifully with those strange golden eyes. The rings in her ears were of shimmering gold and jewels. Apparently, she was much more than a simple merchant. Bowing to the young man, the woman turned and moved through the crowd, trying to find the owner of the tavern to rent a room from.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

"Call me Dare, it's not much of a name, but it's mine, and quite fitting I think. If your offended by being quite honestly called a damsel, I can take issue with 'young man'. Besides, it makes you sound matronly." Darien answered casually, wondering why her disregard bothered him so. It was true, despite clearly being little older than himself, the way Lita carried herself made her seem wiser than her face let on. He supposed it must be a part of her act, dispensing sage advice and appearing all-knowing, but she didn't have to keep it up all of the time.

"Wares and 'services', eh? Are those the secret to your wealth, the purpose to your shuttered and private rolling home? Would I find silk sheets and enticing incense if I opened it up, and fine lace under your exotic dress?" Darien answered in a tone that dripped with sarcasm and a roguish grin that made it clear he was jesting. He knew was walking a fine line here, risking offending her further, but once again he couldn't help himself. It had been such a long time since he'd had a worthy sparring partner, be it with sharp swords or sharper words, the two weapons his upbringing had armed him with.

Truly, she didn't seem the type to make a living on her back, at least not in a poor and unrefined place such as Valborg. But in a more prosperous realm, such as the Luria of his youth, a quick-witted, exotic beauty could live in luxury as a courtesan, selling not just the pleasures of her body but the simple privelidge of her company at a banquet or party.

Before long, they reached the tavern, a wide-bodied longhouse with a massive stuffed boars-head mounted above the doors which swung out to admit them into the warmth of the massive fire crackling in a channel cut through the floor, and the cheer of the crowd milling together around the tables against the walls. It was the true beating heart of Valborg, home of the dockworkers and foresters that kept the city alive.

While there were a few calls out to Darien to pull up a seat or join a game from acquaintances, it was Lita who bore the brunt of the attention, so out-of-place she appeared. Little of it was good, whistles and lewd-suggestions that would make a less formidable woman run for the door. There was a reason Darien wouldn't allow Ally within fifty paces of here, unsure if he was afraid that she'd be terrified, or worse, flattered.

But the auburn-haired foreigner took at all in stride, paying Darien the rest of the promised gold and heading off to seek out Hamus, the massive and jovial one-legged proprietor, found as always on his carved wooden 'throne' before the fire. He, at least, would be reasonable and polite, and she'd be safe once introductions were made. The only language Hamus spoke was gold, and with plenty of it, Lita would be given what approximated a royal welcome in a place such as this. The finest cuts of meat, the best drink from the cellar, and the protection of his two burly sons and the cudgels they wore openly for cracking the skulls of those foolish enough to not pay their bar tabs or gambling debts.

While she dealt with that, Darien found a table that wasn't too populated, two weather-beaten old men playing Swords and Crowns, a board game of skill rather than chance. Darien already knew them, retirees who he'd met soon after settling here that enjoyed young blood with the wits to play the game and the patience for their many rambling tales of past hunts and wars, and traded him meals and lessons in how to carve scrimshaw for the occasional hand that required a strong back. He tossed a few coins on the table to buy their next round of drinks and for next use of the board, and was seated with an open chair beside him, advising each in turn on their next moves when Lita returned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Walking past the many men, ignoring their lewd comments as she moved, Lita made her way towards the fire. She'd been told by the barmaid that the old man sitting in his throne was the gent she was seeking. Adjusting her decorated belt and dusting out her skirts to look her best, Lita made sure she was presentable. A sense of decorum was needed to bargain with such a man. She needed to be especially careful, as one wrong move would leave her paying far too much and getting far less out of it than she hoped. Putting on her sweetest smile, the girl interrupted the group of men to get the Keeper's attention.

The men turned in their seats, looking at the young lass incredulously. What was this mess? What little woman decided her business was enough to disturb the men at work. They were about to comment before catching view of her. The strange clothing, the strange eyes and the jewels covering her, it was enough to silence their complaints. Standing to his peg leg, Old Hamus turned to face the little creature.

"Well Well, What 'ave we 'ere. A little mink. What can I 'elp ye with, young miss?" The grin across his face was misleading, and the girl could tell.

"Greetings, good sir. I do apologize for the interruption, I can see you're a very busy man, so I won't take much of your time. I am a traveling merchant. I seek shelter and food for the next few evenings. The locals have recommended me to you, and I ca-" A hearty laugh cut the young girl off, a hand upon her shoulder. The old in keeper was patting her shoulder and laughing at her. Holding her tongue, the girl looked towards him, the barest hint of irritation masked by that sweet smile.

"Such formality, young lady. It's a welcome treat, but this is Valborg. I would ask where yer from miss, but it wouldn't change that yer here. I'm a busy man. Our inn provides the best of food and drink to those that can afford it." The implication was clear, offer up her first bid, and bite the bullet.

"A businessman, very good." Started the girl reaching into her purse. She was careful to not stir the coin much, pulling ten gold pieces from her purse with little trouble. "Ten pieces of gold for four nights. Some ale perhaps? Food as well?" Truly for most her offer would be fine, but it seemed that due to the arrival of many others, the old man simply chuckled and disregarded it. She would have to work harder than that.

"There's limited rooms, miss. Unfortunately all I 'ave left is my more.. expensive rooms. Those are at least five gold a night. Never mind food and ale. We serve the best in town, ye know."

A slight sigh left the young witch as she stood there, nodding and thinking to herself for a moment before she caught sight of the bottle at the man's side. Perhaps a bit of a show and a game would interest the old man. Her smirk seemed to grow as she stepped over and collected the bottle, looking at what was left before returning to the thoroughly bewildered old man.

"Are you much into game, sir?"
    " What are ye playing at.... Miss?" His tone was stern as he watched her.

Hiding her gold once again, the woman produced a small pouch, pulling from it an incredibly fine crystal. The slight glow emitted from it came from the nearby fire, confirming it's clarity and wonderful cut. Where had she found something like this? Grinning like a fox, the little scene began to bring in a crowd of nearby patrons. They seemed curious about the stranger in their midst. Carefully as a lynx, Lita stepped onto the arm of the old man's throne, standing eye level with him with a confidence no ordinary traveler would posses.

"It's a Limurian Seed. Incredibly rare to find one in this condition, all things considered. I'll bet you this crystal that I can get it into this bottle without breaking it. If I loose, you can keep the crystal to cover my stay. It's worth at least a few month's worth of food and board. That's probably an incredibly low estimate of it's worth. "Started the girl, holding the stone for him to see. Gasps resounded in the crowd. Chatter replaced it as they all watched her like a hawk. As the old man reached for the crystal, she pulled it back. There would be no taking it before she'd allowed.

"If I win, however. You'll be paid with a few smaller crystals. I'll keep this. It'll pay for the time I'm here, but you'll also have to provide food and drink, regardless of what I ask. Lets throw in a round on the house this evening, just to make things interesting? What do you say, good sir? I'll let you test both the bottle and the stone, just to ensure there's no foul play." Her demeanor demonstrated either sheer stupidity, or incredible power. She'd left a target on her back, but she was confident in her actions.

Staring at her, as if mocking the very idea, the old man pondered his chances. The two clearly could not be married. The crystal was at least three times the width of the neck of the bottle. Not wanting to seem cowardly in front of his locals, and more than happy to take the crystal from this cocky young thing like her, Hamus took the stone and bottle from the girl. Raising his brow as he checked both for any sign of a trick, he seemed sure of his new fortune as he found both to be of proper form and nature. The crystal really was as fine as she said. The old man chuckled as he returned the pieces and motioned the girl down from his throne. She happily hopped down and stood before him. With a great flop, the old innkeeper returned to his place, resting his hands on the arms of the great chair.

"If ye wanted to overpay the whole time miss, there was no need for this . But seeing as yer not a local. I'll 'umor ye." The slight condescension in his tone was what was to be expected. "Get that crystal in that bottle without breaking either, without spilling a drop of liquor and I'll take the smaller ones. I'll even double yer wager, Two rounds on me and my establishment. If ye can do the impossible, that is." Reclining in his chair, the man stepped back, the wily grin across his face was all too telling. However, Lita was more than happy to wipe it from his face with her skills.

Holding both bottle and crystal for all to see, she waited and built the tension. As much as she wasn't a showman, this would be a great way to bring the poor to her the next day. A bit of a publicity never hurt business. All eyes were upon the witch as she moved her arms in a strange way, a mark appearing on the back of her hand as she pushed the two together. Most held their breath as a small burst of light distracted them. Then the telltale chime of the witch's feat returning their attention to her. Inside the narrow glass bottle and gently tapping against the edges was the crystal, gleaming beautifully inside.

Shock was plastered on the faces of those around as the innkeeper pulled the bottle from her hand. He was wide eyed as he began investigating it for some sort of trick or explanation. Extending her hand, the witch handed him a small black card. Those well versed in the ways of the world knew what this meant. A sly grin graced her face as he continued to remain gobsmacked, like a deer before a hunter. He had been played, not maliciously, but played none the less. A deep belly laugh rang out as he admitted to the defeat.

"A sly little thing ye are." Mused the old man, staring at the crystal inside. "Perhaps I should learn to keep my pride in check." Standing once again, he yelled for the barmaid to toss out the next round on the house. Masses seemed to cheer for the charity, the group of dockworkers around the keeper still in shock as Hamus surrendered the bottle. "I may request a bit more of ye yet. For now ye can stay. We'll feed ye, give ye shelter."

Looking over the bottle, a much gentler smile befell little Lita's lips. She happily handed the bottle back to the old man. Confused by the gesture, She bowed graciously to him.

"Consider it a gift, Sir. To keep your favor despite my shenanigans. Thank you for playing with me." Started Lita, gathering a few more smaller ones, as she'd promised. Taking his other hand in hers, the crystals were gently pressed into his palm. "These should pay for my stay. Use the rest to buy drinks for the night and my food for the time I'm here. I may ask to stay longer, conditions permitting." Clearly she was speaking his language now, lavishing him with more than he'd probably see in a quarter of the year. The witch leaned in closer, whispering something to the old man before getting up and offering out a hand. The silent promise of a witch's service was enough to earn her a firm handshake.

"I'll let the girls know yer to be allowed here whenever ye please... miss.. ah?" Hamus froze. He'd never considered asking her name. The witch chuckled softly and shook his hand with the same strength as he had.

"Lita, if you please, sir. Should I require more time or return to this town, I'll make sure to return to this establishment." Playing coy as she usually did, the girl stood up upon one of the nearby benches, searching for Dare. He was nearly across the room, but that was fine. A corner suited her far more than the center of attention. While she was enjoying her meal at least. Clapping soon brought her attention back to Hamus, who let out another of his jovial laughs.

"A drink then, stay and drink with us men this evening. Surely a traveler such as yerself has many fine stories to tell." Mused the keeper, the men around nodding in agreement. "Especially one of yer profession, miss."

"As much as I would appreciate it," started the witch, hopping down once again and bowing to the old man." My company is demanded elsewhere. Perhaps another night? I will gladly join you for a meal and drinks tomorrow, if you'd have me." The group quieted and the old man pondered for another moment.

"I'd be most glad to share a few drinks with a pretty young thing any night. Yer free for now. Enjoy this evening miss Lita, and may ye keep yourself in good health. Such a show... I hope ye know what yer doing. " Stated the old inn keeper, resting his head in his hand as he watched her, playing with the bottle and enjoying the gentle chime.

"I thank you, sir, but I've come a long way. My safety is not something you should concern yourself with." Purred the woman, her hand resting on her hand as she gestured behind her with her thumb. "But a pair of meals and two bottle of your strongest spirits to the far table with the old men playing and the young red head over there. If you please sir. I'm sure your lovely ladies could find me easily enough." With a nod from Hamus, the girl disappeared into the crowd, leaving the men to question if it was all a tainted liquor induced illusion. The crystal in the glass however, told them otherwise.

Her trip proved a tad difficult. It wasn't too hard to find the young man once again, but a few men had tried to reach out to seat her with them, only to loose feeling in their arms for a few moments. Taking her seat across from her guide, the girl seemed more than smug. Clearly the old men's game had been interrupted, and both seemed to stare at her in confusion. She dusted herself and set her cloak beside her, the gorgeous jewels around her neck showing now. Where had this woman accrued such wealth?!

"My apologies for keeping you. I had business to attend to and It got a bit... out of hand. Food will be on it's way shortly. My thanks for showing me here. Consider this a final bit of payment." Purred the young woman, looking to the men beside them and then to Dare once again. "I hope you can keep up, I'm known for my tolerance and durability."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast