Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] [IC] Fallout: Ain't That A Kick In The Head?

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Post-Apocalyptic, Urban, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While looking over the map, Stephen paused to look up at Joe's closing comment. His expression was skeptical, and he frowned slightly. "Y'ain't gotta kiss my ass like everyone else," he drawled. "Keep your silver tongue in your mouth, if you would." He transitioned easily back to the map and followed the road they would take with his finger. "You're mostly right, but best to avoid Cedar City. We were already warned off that everywhere's been taken, and I'm inclined to believe it. There's no one to save you out here so best not tempt fate; we'll take the side road. I'll scout at night and see if I can't find a wildlife trail that might be more secluded. We'll just have to hunt for rations and keep an eye on our water - it'll be harder to get a decent supply without stopping in the city, but not impossible, and it's better than our heads ending up on pikes."
    icon art by the always lovely Ekatii@dA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nikola listened quietly as Stephen and Joe discussed their travel plan. He shook around his cateen to estimate his water supply, before shrugging and returning his canteen to it's place. People never learn, he thought. Despite having barely survived a nuclear war, the remenants of the human race continued to kill one another. It was apparently safer to avoid humans all together than to cooperate with one another and share resources. You'd think at some point we would learn to get along. "What a shame..." Nikola said beneath a sigh.

Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe rolled his eyes, and then finished listening to what Stephen had to say. There really was no pleasing this guy, was there? After Stephen made his peace, Joe replied, "Alright, bypass Cedar City, then swing back around to 130. Good a plan as any. Guess we'll walk for a few more hours then shack up in a building outside the city."

And again the group continued their travels, making their way off of the I-15 and onto a back road. As they descended back into the seemingly unending Utah wilderness, Joe grew tried of the silence, and figured he'd try making conversation with Nikola.

Joe caught up to where Nikola was walking, and asked, "How you hangin' Daddy-O? You know, when I first hired ya for this trip, I was worried a Vault Dweller nerd like you would be dead weight, but you take care of yourself as good as any of the muscle I hired. Where'd you pick up your skills at? I know they didn't teach you all this in Vault City."
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani walked along quietly and contemplated what Nikola had said about everyone getting along and despite some time passing since he had voiced his thoughts she sidled up beside him and opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by Joe. Their frustrating leader began what seemed like a lengthy conversation with Nikola and, feeling like a third wheel she hung back to let Stephen and Rhea catch up to her.

She awkwardly clasped her hands in front of her and silently walked beside the duo. She glanced down at Rhea a few times and couldn't help but grin slightly at the animals complete focus on her master. "When did you two join up?" She avoided eye contact and kept looking at Rhea. "She seems so loyal. And she's quite striking. I know it may be odd but I find her beautiful." She glanced up at her circling bird and whistled for him. He dropped down and landed lightly on her hand and she brought him to her shoulder.

"I find it much easier to connect with animals than humans. Humans so easily abandon or betray each other. But animals have such wonderful spirits... They love deeply and to me it seems they have far more empathy than most people." She stroked Beggar and finally glanced up at Stephen. She took in his face and tried to read it as she waited for his response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the first time since he had joined up with this ragtag group parading as a caravan, Stephen gave a genuine smile. It was ephemeral, only visible for a few seconds, but real. "I raised Rhea myself. Cave where I live's home to a pack of nightstalkers - keeps away unwanted company - and her mom had too big a clutch. Ended up hand raising this little one to give her a shot, and she got a mite too attached. So she sticks with me instead of her pack."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"You'd be surprised what they teach you in the vault." Nikola responded to Joe. "But you're right, the vault hasn't taught me everything. Some call it skill, others call it luck, but either way I've been around the wastes. New Reno, San Francisco, Sac-city, Shady Sands, The Strip, and that's not all... Yeah, I've seen my fair share of the wastes and it's people. But there is always more to learn. Speaking of which, where did you get your skills from? You seem like a fellow who enjoys the city, you know? A nice quiet life, doing odd jobs here and there to get by. Certainly a journey into the heart of White Leg territory, I should say Legion territory, would sound like a suicide mission! So what's a guy like you doing accepting a mission like this? Obviously you know our destination. Did your employer not tell you about the White Legs or the Legion? Because that would make two of us."

Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe laughed, "No, the journey to Mormon territory up North was supposed to be an easy one if you had enough muscle like we did. The White Legs stayed out of this area for the most part, and the fact that they're in bed with the fucking Legion? That's news to me. Just my fucking luck though, for this to happen at this specific moment, after everything else. I'm a set of bad dice I tell you," Joe said, stopping his rambling before he said too much, and changing the subject,

"So, You've been around the NCR. I can't say I'm as well traveled as you, but I've been to Shady Sands, The Boneyard, Sac-City and of course New Vegas. But don't be fooled by my style and dashing good looks, I ain't always been a city slicker. I grew up on a farm in some shithole nowhere town in California. Chased away my fair share of Coyotes and Mole rats with a shotgun as a boy.

Before I headed off to my life of leisure in New Vegas, I was a negotiator for the NCR during the Baron's War. Got held hostage by some pompous asshole Brahmin baron, but I talked my way out of it. Told him that the NCR would leave him alone and lower his taxes if he agreed to stand down. Soon as I got out of there I told the NCR to raid the place. Should have seen the look on that asshole's face as NCR troops dragged him away, yelling that he'd kill me first chance he got. One of his sons was shot in the raid, but that's the price for being a giant prick I suppose. Fortunately, none of my negotiations after that were at gunpoint.

So don't think I'm some soft city boy like the cats in Shady Sands or the Strip. I've been around, more than some at least. Sure I've grown accustomed to that life, but I never forgot where I came from."
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani was a bit shocked at Stephens smile but returned it brightly. "So you have nightstalkers for a family then. I don't have any human family myself. Just good old Beggar. He used to beg me for the scraps I had begged for myself. I tried to ignore him at first but I couldn't help but pitty the tiny skinny baby he was. I pretended to accidentally drop crumbs for him and continued to mostly ignore him until he nearly pecked out the eyeball of an older boy who tried to take advantage of me." Her smile grew wider. "He's been my right hand man ever since."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephen gave a half smile at this, but while Dani was retelling how she had met her avian companion, the conversation going on between Nikola and Joe set him on edge. It took considerable focus for him to keep his attention on Dani instead of eavesdropping. "Seems like he knew who to stick around for food," he commented idly. He turned his gaze forward, tired and pensive. "But I'm glad it works out for you two. It always helps to have a pair of eyes watching your back in the wastes."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nikola was silent for a moment, letting what Joe said sink in. After gathering his thoughts, he concluded, "Well that explains a lot. With luck like yours, I'd stay away from the strip my friend. But then again, your silver tongue could probably get you out of any bad luck you might stumble upon. So credit where credit is due. Hopefully you still know how to use your gun as well as you know how to use your words. It's a shame you worked for the NCR and not us though..." Quickly changing the subject, he kept talking,

"I've never been the negotiator type. Flashy words and empty promises never really did it for me. I prefer results and evidence, though I suppose that's not so surprising. You know us vault dwellers, with all our fancy knowledge and tech. So what made you leave the farm? Mom and pop kick you out? Get tired of cleaning up brahmin crap? Or perhaps there is something else." Nikola scrutinized Joe's face trying to find the sincerity behind the words of the negotiator.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast